(Close Window)
Topic: What is the most awesome burger you ever had?
Message: Posted by: panlives (Sep 2, 2011 08:11AM)
I saw this sumptuous burger image/article and thought I might ask: what is the most awesome burger you ever had?

http://www.blogto.com/announcements/2011/09/hidden_diner_makes_awesome_burgers/
Message: Posted by: jazzy snazzy (Sep 2, 2011 08:41AM)
The WHITE SPOT 4th and "C" Street Anchorage, Alaska, next to the Alley Cat Bar.
12 stools, you had to walk sideways to get through the place.
Open 24/7. One of those burgers came with a mountain of fries that filled the counter.
The place is long gone now but I've never had anything like it.
Message: Posted by: Matthew W (Sep 2, 2011 10:14AM)
5 Napkin Burgers 'Original'

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445930503393&set=a.445925713393.247463.92931388393&type=1
Message: Posted by: panlives (Sep 2, 2011 10:48AM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-02 11:14, Matthew W wrote:
5 Napkin Burgers 'Original'

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445930503393&set=a.445925713393.247463.92931388393&type=1
[/quote]


Holy Cow! That looks delicious!
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 2, 2011 11:18AM)
Tough to pick just one.
My home-made goober burger is definitely on the list though.
1/4 pound burger, huge scoop of peanut butter. Real mayo. And a whole wheat bun for fiber ;)

I also make some pretty awesome sliders.
For those, the meat gets mixed with Lipton onion soup mix, pressed inside of a Hawaiian sweet roll, wrapped in aluminimum foil, and stuck in the oven 'til the salmonella is gone.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Sep 2, 2011 11:41AM)
Critter: Is the peanut butter worked into the raw ground beef? Or do you spread it on the bun?

John
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 2, 2011 11:55AM)
After one side is done I flip the burger then plop the peanut butter on top of the done side while the other side cooks. Much like a cheeseburger. Sometimes I cover it while cooking too.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Sep 2, 2011 12:12PM)
Might have to try this on the weekend. But I'll skip the mayo and make sure I eat a lot of salad on the side ;)
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 2, 2011 12:44PM)
Yeah it's not a diet food kind of thing. Very occasional treat.
If you don't like mayo that's cool, but I'd like to point out that the tang of the mayo provides a fantastic contrast to the peanut butter.
Message: Posted by: Matthew W (Sep 2, 2011 01:20PM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-02 11:48, panlives wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-02 11:14, Matthew W wrote:
5 Napkin Burgers 'Original'

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445930503393&set=a.445925713393.247463.92931388393&type=1
[/quote]


Holy Cow! That looks delicious!
[/quote]

From their website: 10oz. custom ground beef, caramelized onions, gruyere cheese, rosemary aioli, soft white roll
Message: Posted by: rossmacrae (Sep 2, 2011 07:26PM)
A day when I was very tired and hungry ... a single McDonald'sburger, fresh, the regular way, with no prospect of getting more any time soon. Fantastic!
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 2, 2011 07:31PM)
As far as buying burgers someone else made, there's a lot that I like a lot. I'm fond of Fatburger and D'Lish (our local clone of In 'N Out)and I've had all kinds of fancy burgers with elk and all kinds of interesting meats and cheeses. But I think my favorite 'restaurant' burger is probably still a basic Whammy from Dick's. And you can only get the real deal in Spokane.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Sep 2, 2011 08:38PM)
Didn't we do this thread already?
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 2, 2011 08:39PM)
I think there've been several similar threads, but it's a topic I'm always happy to revisit.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Sep 2, 2011 09:26PM)
Jughead.
Message: Posted by: eatonmagic (Sep 2, 2011 11:15PM)
Here in Orlando THIS is the place to go for the Daddy Mac of ALL burgers:

http://burgerjunkies.com/review/triple-cheeseburger-junior-colombian-burger-orlando-fl/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're ever in Chattanooga, TN check out this place:

http://terminalbrewhouse.com/menu/burgers
Message: Posted by: foolsnobody (Sep 3, 2011 02:12AM)
One vote from me for the place I worked and ate at in Ann Arbor many many years ago: Crazy Jim's Blimpy Burger ("Cheaper than food!"). To keep up with the Commander Cody tradition, order two triple cheese (on onion rolls if you please!) and a side order of fries. Yum!
Message: Posted by: rawdawg (Sep 3, 2011 02:50AM)
Today, at Paul's Place in Los Alamitos, I had a "Bubba Burger". It had pastrami, bacon, beef patty, roasted ortega chili, chili, 5 cheeses, french fries, onion ring, olives, avocado, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, jalepenos, pepporcini's and I'm probably forgetting some stuff. It feels like a legit 3 pounder and my friend has cleaned it up in under 4 minutes on 2 different occasions. Today, he ordered a cheeseburger as a chaser. The funny thing is that he's on a diet and actually held back. He used to push nearly 5 bills but is now about 385.
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Sep 3, 2011 08:20AM)
No place can beat a really good home made burger... Just a fact... Make yer own mayo. Heirloom tomatoes... Great cheddar. Red onions. But most important... Excellent beef... And DON'T get really lean meat. When it gets important, remember... FAT is FLAVOR! And for gods sake... DON'T OVERCOOK it! If you are too chicken to eat rare meat... Then go to McDonalds and be quiet...

Best fast food burger... In- N - Out ... DD AS w/fries...
Message: Posted by: Dr. JK (Sep 3, 2011 09:49AM)
Carolina Ale House: the Ale House Burger
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Sep 3, 2011 10:54AM)
Jackson Hole Wyoming, which was a restaurant in New York City. Wimp that I am, I settled for a pizza burger with mozz. cheese and pizza sauce. My wife picked something call a "Copsegmore" which was piled with cheese and peppers and mushrooms. Thing had to be about six inches high or more.

http://www.jacksonholeburgers.com/default.htm
Message: Posted by: Dr. Van Van Mojo (Sep 4, 2011 01:12PM)
Black Bear Tavern in Woodstock, NY. Outstanding burger, absolutely fantastic.
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 6, 2011 12:06AM)
I have to give a second shout out to another local gem, the stromboli burger at Mike's Burger Royal. They invented the stromboli sandwhich (not to be confused with the pizza thing) "On a day in 1954, Mike Aquino Sr. had a brainstorm. He decided to invent a new sandwich. He took a combination of grilled French bread, Cappacollo Ham, melted Provolone, and a homemade Italian chili sauce and combined them to make an outstanding sandwich." The burger takes this combination and adds... a burger. Genius.
http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/2.5566/it-s-a-bigger-better-burger-1.852511

The place I really miss is Burger Basket. They were around when I was a kid and they made ginormous and insanely good burgers. No idea why they didn't last.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Sep 6, 2011 12:26AM)
"In-N-Out" without a doubt! I even have their bumper sticker on my work trailer.


Good magic to all,


Eric
Message: Posted by: RS1963 (Sep 6, 2011 12:47AM)
Either I just don't pay attention as long as it tastes good or I haven't had My ultimate burger yet. I can't say I have had an awesome burger ever. I have made good one's on my own of course and had other very good ones made for me. But I can't really describe any of them as being awesome. I know I suck but oh well.

I will say that the ones I enjoy the most is when I eat a burger with a jalapeno on the side or with them on the burger.

I like IN-N-Out Burger. I like Burger King, Wendy's. Mc D's is fine if the other's aren't near by. but non of them have served me an awesome burger as of yet.
Message: Posted by: RS1963 (Sep 6, 2011 01:26AM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-03 09:20, Doomo wrote:
No place can beat a really good home made burger... Just a fact... Make yer own mayo. Heirloom tomatoes... Great cheddar. Red onions. But most important... Excellent beef... And DON'T get really lean meat. When it gets important, remember... FAT is FLAVOR! And for gods sake... DON'T OVERCOOK it! If you are too chicken to eat rare meat... Then go to McDonalds and be quiet...

Best fast food burger... In- N - Out ... DD AS w/fries...
[/quote]

Rare steaks are one thing rare hamburger is another. Rare stakes you hardly ever run into a problem health wise with. ground beef is another subject the reason is self explanatory. whatever is on the outside of the meet that isn't good is in all the ground up meat when it isn't fully cooked. A steak whatever bacteria is there is cooked away since it's on the outside. If you don't understand that you need to get a better education.
Message: Posted by: tommy (Sep 6, 2011 02:02AM)
As we all know private luxury jets are being used by the CIA to fly terrorist suspects to be tortured abroad and are stocked with champagne, caviare, fruit platters and that the CIA haven't paid the bill of the charter companies which supplied the corporate jets and crews and so on, but what we don't know is if the charter companies are providing burgers for these flights but if they are then I bet they are sumptuous awesome ones.
Message: Posted by: Dr. Van Van Mojo (Sep 6, 2011 11:04AM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-06 01:47, RS1963 wrote:
Either I just don't pay attention as long as it tastes good or I haven't had My ultimate burger yet. I can't say I have had an awesome burger ever. I have made good one's on my own of course and had other very good ones made for me. But I can't really describe any of them as being awesome.[/quote]

You probably just haven't had your ultimate burger yet. I was the same way until I had a burger at the Black Bear Tavern in Woodstock, NY. Before that I never ate a burger and proclaimed it the most awesome burger ever.
Message: Posted by: Tom Jorgenson (Sep 6, 2011 11:20AM)
Cassell's on 6th, in L.A., are about as big as a small plate, and the toppings make a clean and elegant burger. No piled-high impossible-to-eat jaw dropper, just a good, large burger ground fresh in the A.M. and fresh everything. They've been there for about 50 years, I think.
Message: Posted by: Doomo (Sep 7, 2011 12:01PM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-06 02:26, RS1963 wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-03 09:20, Doomo wrote:
No place can beat a really good home made burger... Just a fact... Make yer own mayo. Heirloom tomatoes... Great cheddar. Red onions. But most important... Excellent beef... And DON'T get really lean meat. When it gets important, remember... FAT is FLAVOR! And for gods sake... DON'T OVERCOOK it! If you are too chicken to eat rare meat... Then go to McDonalds and be quiet...

Best fast food burger... In- N - Out ... DD AS w/fries...
[/quote]

Rare steaks are one thing rare hamburger is another. Rare stakes you hardly ever run into a problem health wise with. ground beef is another subject the reason is self explanatory. whatever is on the outside of the meet that isn't good is in all the ground up meat when it isn't fully cooked. A steak whatever bacteria is there is cooked away since it's on the outside. If you don't understand that you need to get a better education.
[/quote]

Whoa there slick... Iffin yer gonna get rude... First of all. I either grind my own or have it ground... And I have NEVER had a problem... I am WELL aware of the potential issues. So go get yer own education before you start making rash assumptions.

And iffin ya wanna talk dangerous foods... Lets look at the really dangerous ones... Like Seafood... Some of the parasites contained there are truly horrific.

Jeebuz! Get rude much?
Message: Posted by: critter (Sep 7, 2011 12:07PM)
[quote]
On 2011-09-06 12:20, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Cassell's on 6th, in L.A., are about as big as a small plate, and the toppings make a clean and elegant burger. No piled-high impossible-to-eat jaw dropper, just a good, large burger ground fresh in the A.M. and fresh everything. They've been there for about 50 years, I think.
[/quote]

That's how Burger Basket was. Wide but not tall.