(Close Window)
Topic: Injustice
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/14730055

Never judge a book by its cover as they say but I have to say that I find it hard to believe that thing could not kill a sheep. Even if it could its such a shame that they are all extinct now.
Have you ever seen an Australian sheep?

[img]http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2007/07/33a_19_sheep_243x183.jpg[/img]
If they can clone back just one species, I hope it's the Tasmanian Tiger.

John
Not the stegosaurus?
I think the conclusions reported here are rather too sweeping when based on the examination of a single skull.

Anyway, there are some other lovely videos of the last thylacine on the World Wide Web somewhere.
"Thursday marks the 75th anniversary of the death of what is believed to have been the last remaining thylacine, named Ben. The animal was kept at Hobart Zoo in Tasmania."

Hey! I've been to Hobart Zoo in Tasmania! But, unfortunately, too late to see Ben. Did see some Tasmanian Devils though.
I always find that footage sad to watch - poor bloody thing - alone in that awful cage - at least it wasn't aware of it's real aloneness - the last of it's species.

There are people who believe tassie tigers still survive in isolated regions and they scour the countryside for paw prints and samples of faeces to support their belief.

Most of these people seem a little strange and the 'evidence' they present is anything but scientific - any unusual noise or snapped twig points to the continued existence of the thylacine for them. (A bit like a once famed Aussie shark then 'hunter', now 'researcher' who justifies his vendetta against sharks by pointing to the unexplained disappearance of a few hundred Aussies each year. In my drinking days I mentioned to him at a social event that the sharks are unlikely to be responsible for the ones who go missing in the desert and that surely alien experimentation accounted for a few. He was unamused - his life has a single focus.)

There was talk a couple of years ago of cloning the thylacine using material surviving from Ben - not sure what happened to that idea.
[quote]
On 2011-09-04 20:26, Destiny wrote:
I mentioned to him at a social event that the sharks are unlikely to be responsible for the ones who go missing in the desert and that surely alien experimentation accounted for a few.
[/quote]

:applause:

Destiny, you rock.
Does anyone remember the episode of Steve Irwin's "Crocodile Hunter" where they tried to find surviving Tassie Tigers?
Sorry to go off topic but here's a quote from the shark hunter's bio regarding sharks:

"They cruise around 24 hours a day tearing apart family-oriented animals such as dolphins and dugong, eating or maiming the young as well as their mother and father... Surely the creator must have realised the terrible imbalance and injustice and must have put me here to help and restore the balance and justice for all the gentle creatures of the sea".

Such a modest and well adjusted guy.

I think from memory he believes that sharks are an evolutionary aberration - they've survived longer than intended and it's our responsibility to fix Nature or God's mistake.

Years ago, back when I was working with crocs, he had a 'Shark Show' in Cairns. In reality it was a display - a big dead refrigerated shark which he eventually sold to a shopping centre in Japan, I think for continued display, not sushi.

He still has a similar display in Hervey Bay, a whale watching centre. I will be in Hervey Bay tomorrow so I must check out the sign outside his show while I'm there - last time I was there I glimpsed it and noticed he has made a new documentary 'solving' the mystery of whale beachings - it's the bloody sharks again of course.
[quote]
On 2011-09-04 23:27, Destiny wrote:

I think from memory he believes that sharks are an evolutionary aberration - they've survived longer than intended and it's our responsibility to fix Nature or God's mistake.
[/quote]

Pretty clearly, either God or this dude has made a mistake, and it sounds like anyone who knows the shark hunter would know that it couldn't have been [i]his[/i] mistake, so...
[quote]
On 2011-09-04 23:27, Destiny wrote:
Sorry to go off topic but here's a quote from the shark hunter's bio regarding sharks:

"They cruise around 24 hours a day tearing apart family-oriented animals such as dolphins and dugong, eating or maiming the young as well as their mother and father... Surely the creator must have realised the terrible imbalance and injustice and must have put me here to help and restore the balance and justice for all the gentle creatures of the sea".

Years ago, back when I was working with crocs, he had a 'Shark Show' in Cairns. In reality it was a display - a big dead refrigerated shark which he eventually sold to a shopping centre in Japan, I think for continued display, not sushi.

He still has a similar display in Hervey Bay, a whale watching centre. I will be in Hervey Bay tomorrow so I must check out the sign outside his show while I'm there - last time I was there I glimpsed it and noticed he has made a new documentary 'solving' the mystery of whale beachings - it's the bloody sharks again of course.
[/quote]

"We're gonna' need a bigger boat."
:)
"We're gonna' need a bigger helicopter."
[img]http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/chuck-testa-shark1.jpg[/img]