(Close Window)
Topic: What do YOU think would be funny
Hi Friends, I am underway with a new project and I am looking for ideas. I recently came out with my Comeback Spider trick which I know will be very entertaining in a Halloween Show.

I have been working on a trick for Christmas shows which is similar but different, if that makes ANY sense at all :)

In short: You will show 7 picture cards: Santa , Snowman, Candy Cane, Present, Rudolph, Christmas Tree and I am looking for ideas for the "comeback card" that would be conflicting to Christmas. Although it will be a "Comeback Card" effect, the handling will be totally different than the Comeback Spider. There will be a Chimney involved which is currently being made by a Graphic Images company. The Chimney will stand on your table 7" high by 5 1/2 " wide.

I am thinking a "MONKEY" would be funny as the comeback card. Kids shout out there is a monkey. "Hey, don't call me names!" This happens throughout the routine and finally ends up on your back. "I am so happy I got that monkey off my back!"

A friend of mine suggested a Turkey, but I feel many people DO eat turkey on Christmas, so it would not be conflicting enough.

Someone suggested the Easter Bunny. I am looking for ideas that would not only be conflicting, but funny.
Personally, I think a TOILET would be hilarious (But that is me :) )

Cards are presented and shuffled. A child tells you when to stop. You state what ever card they stop at, you will make that picture vanish in the "Magic Chimney." The comeback card keeps reappearing. Reappears on your back etc. Finally they choose a card, lets say it is Santa. Place Santa into the Chimney, place a cloth over, whisk the cloth away . . . They still see a card. It did NOT vanish. Remove it, turn it around, it is the monkey or Comeback card AGAIN. Santa has vanished. Turn around and now SANTA is on your back. Yes , it will be a double card on back gag.

I feel with some comedy wands for the volunteer and bits of business this could be a nice 8 minute routine. Everything is ready for production except the idea of the conflicting card.

Any ideas I would love to hear for the comeback card in this effect.

Thanks!
Tommy James
Well, I think your idea of a toilet is first class. Bu how about having one of Santa's elves sitting beside it, fishing? That would keep it on-theme, add a bit of humour, and possibly give you a plot-line that could be incorporated. Perhaps this is a naughty elf who's always skiving off?
How about a menorah or star of david? You could also do the grinch.
Potty you crack me up. Great idea.

I have to stay away from the Grinch etc due to lawsuits. My first thought was the Grinch. I have performed this routine with cards I made up myself and the comeback card is the Grinch. But to market it with the Grinch, which would be the perfect comeback card, I'd be asking for trouble.

keep em coming!
How about a pic of my ex wife? :)
If that's the case Steve, I would my OWN ex wife :)
What about a picture of a skunk?

Now before you say my idea 'stinks,' consider that you could blame the returning skunk on the cards being out of "odor."

Other gag lines that also might work for Christmas...

Q: What is black and white and blue all over?
A: A skunk at the north pole with Santa.

Q: Where does a skunk sit at Christmas Mass?
A: In a Pew

Q: What do you get when you cross a Christmas bell with a skunk?
Q: Jingle smells!
How about a picture of Summer? maybe the snowman melting....
[quote]
On 2011-09-17 19:48, stevezany wrote:
What about a picture of a skunk?

Now before you say my idea 'stinks,' consider that you could blame the returning skunk on the cards being out of "odor."

Other gag lines that also might work for Christmas...

Q: What is black and white and blue all over?
A: A skunk at the north pole with Santa.

Like...oh wait, this isn't Facebook..
Like...
Q: Where does a skunk sit at Christmas Mass?
A: In a Pew

Q: What do you get when you cross a Christmas bell with a skunk?
Q: Jingle smells!
[/quote]

Like...oh wait, this isn't Facebook...(still like though..)
Lump of coal.
I'm loving the SKUNK Idea Steve. Thanks for the jokes with it.

I'm not understanding the Facebook thing, can someone explain? Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee this morning.
He tried to be funny by hitting the "like" button but oh wait this is not FB

you know on FB you hit the like button instead of leaving a comment some times

hope that you get it now.

that's my comment and I am sticking to it.

ps it was funny.

sam
Um ... a duck?

Really, Tommy, it's like divine inspiration. The idea just came to me, as if I was being fed thoughts from someone else!
[quote]
On 2011-09-18 10:46, Sam Sandler wrote:
He tried to be funny by hitting the "like" button but oh wait this is not FB

you know on FB you hit the like button instead of leaving a comment some times

hope that you get it now.

that's my comment and I am sticking to it.

ps it was funny.

sam
[/quote]

Lame attempt at humor...sorry...(still like skunk idea)
How about the "Evil Elf" or "Santa's Evil Twin," or Santa's arch rival "Jack Frost." He'd have to be a scarying-looking jack frost.

Jim
Oh!!! I get it now. Thanks Sam. I guess you can tell I'm not a huge facebook fan lol

Great ideas Jim. I just LOVE Steves Skunk idea.
What about brussel sprouts?

(is that a traditional part of the Xmas din-dins in the US?)

Kids don't like them so it'd get a reaction and work with the storyline.

Also, they tend to repeat on me.
Dang....you can't use the Grinch? That would be perfect!
I Know . . . It would have been the perfect picture. Remember Run Cookie Run produced by Hank Lee years ago. He was forced to take it off the market because he used Cookie Monster . . .
Well I say "HUMPHH!!" If there are 'Suess-policzi' patrolling around I'll wait for them to say Cease & desist....otherwise, I'd use it!
Tom, I love the Grinch idea and as you pointed out, you would need to obtain copyright permission.

Here's the e-mail address of Dr. Seuss Enterprises for copyright-related requests: drseuss at drseuss dot com

Of note, there are 'Suess-policzi' (their legal team) and here are two examples:

1. Dr. Seuss Enterprises issued a cease-and-desist to protect their intellectual property:
http://reporter.blogs.com/thresq/2008/11/how-the-lawyers.html

2. Dr. Seuss Enterprises successfully sued Penguin Books over copyright infringement:
http://goo.gl/bijSY
Tommy, I LOVE the skunk idea!
Scrooge isn't under copyright anymore is he?

You could also go with a masked magician .... I mean burglar.

A hula girl
Water skier/surfer
[quote]
On 2011-09-21 07:18, stevezany wrote:
Of note, there are 'Suess-policzi' (their legal team) and here are two examples:

1. Dr. Seuss Enterprises issued a cease-and-desist to protect their intellectual property:

2. Dr. Seuss Enterprises successfully sued Penguin Books over copyright infringement:
[/quote]

Dang.....ask & ye shall receive! (whether you want it or not!)
A mass-published book by Penguin is one thing....a school magic show confined to one state is another. I figure Tommy's use of the grinch would fly under the radar for a long time if not indefinetly. Also, if you were to slightly alter the image, and then not actually CALL it the grinch, but simply ask the kids "And does anyone out there know THIS guy?"
[quote]
On 2011-09-26 00:38, The Mighty Fool wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-09-21 07:18, stevezany wrote:

I think you're right, but why take the chance. I would have loved to add the Grinch to this effect.

The FINAL decision has been made and sent to print . . . The suspense is KILLING you isn't it?

Thank you for all your ideas. I have settled on the skunk! Thanks Steve! (Why couldn't I have thought of that???) The skunk will be wearing a Santa hat too!

This routine is going to be similar to the routine I entered into the Kidabra competition with, only with a Christmas theme. I am so excited about offering this routine to the magic world. It is going to be so much fun to perform, especially when the kids go nuts over the skunk reappearing :)
[/quote]

Dang.....ask & ye shall receive! (whether you want it or not!)
A mass-published book by Penguin is one thing....a school magic show confined to one state is another. I figure Tommy's use of the grinch would fly under the radar for a long time if not indefinetly. Also, if you were to slightly alter the image, and then not actually CALL it the grinch, but simply ask the kids "And does anyone out there know THIS guy?"
[/quote]