(Close Window)
Topic: Jumping stool question
Hi Guys,
I picked pu an aluminum jumping stool a while back at a very good price. The cords in it needed replacing, so the seller cut me a good deal. I have tried to outfit it with new bungee cords but can't seem to get the right length and/or cord. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
Thanks,
Lou
Talk to Al Angelo
Thank you Frank
I have three jump stools. The one that jumps straight up, the one that does a twist as it jumps, and the fine wooden one from Stevens. For the aluminum version you need to buy 12" SOLID RUBBER bungee cords. You will have to bend the hooks a bit to get a good tight fit, The good news is the bungee cords I recommended are much stronger than the original cord, and the stool will jump like it came out of a rocket launcher (do not ever ever ever look down while you are launching it). If you need more help you can PM me for further info.

These bungee cords will launch your stool much higher, and much faster that the originals did, so you will have to catch it ON THE WAY UP (no fooling) ON THE WAY UP, and be sure you have a high ceiling too.

HAVE FUN
When I say heavy duty bungee cords I am saying that you need two solid rubber 12" black bungee cords. The manufacturer never imagined that if you replaced the black rubber feet with some hard plastic feet (white are nice), and these heavy duty bungee cords you could change it into a rocket launcher, and if you have the twisting version this thing off a wooden deck will do a cork screw launch. That is my jump stool workshop you can make all contributions to my PayPal account.

HAVE FUN
Thanks Al and Frank. I'll give that a try Al.
Lou
Never heard of a jumping stool but it sounds interesting.
I almost bought one at the last convention I went to. Decided not to at the last minute and I've regretted it ever since.
If you look at the films of Kalang, he did one back in the 1950's.

Richard
I think Hank Lee still sells the aluminum one (which I believe is the twisting type), and Stevens Magic sells the very durable wooden one.
Hi Al,
Thanks for sharing the info on jazzing up the stool. I have a aluminum one I use in pretty much every show I do. Right now is goes up about 4 feet or so. I can't wait to get better cords and new feet on it.
On a side note, a few years back we were doing a show at a resort. The area they had us set up in was right in front of the computers they had for members to use. As soon as we finished the show some guy came up and tried to make his way around our stuff to get to a computer. I told him we would be out of the way in about a half hour, and he could use one then. I thought he was leaving, but all he did was go to the front counter to get some paperwork of some kind. I'm out front taking things down and without any of us noticing, he heads behind our curtain to use a compter. Well, all of the chairs were put out front for the show. This guy spotted the jumping stool, and thinking it was a normal camp stool, went to sit on it. We hear a thud and this guy cussing up a storm and laying on the floor. The first thing I thought was he was hurt and was going to sue me. Luckily, he never got hurt, just mad at me and stormed out of the room.
Bob.
Bob
How are the feet on yours configured? The spinning version only spin if they have great bungee cords, hard plastic feet, and are standing on a wooden floor.

Be prepared for a 9 foot jump.
Question: Does this really have an effect on the audience? Is this supposed to be amazing? entertaining? Or funny? A clown bit? Or what? What kind of act goes well with it? All I see is it is sort of an ending when the magician packs up at the end of his show. Frankly, I don't seem to be impressed with it. Just my opinion.
Lou
You are absolutely correct it is just a silly sight gag, but that being said silly gags is most of my act. My show is 45 minutes long, featuring one silly pieces of business after another that only a child, or an adult with a childish mind could appreciate.
Hey Al. I use my aluminum one all the time at children's camps in the summer. Just to clarify, these solid 12" cords care ones that can be purchased at sport/general sales stores?

Thanks.
Should be, ....these solid 12" cords are ones......."
I bought mine at a hardware store. Remember to make the hooks smaller to get a real tight fit.

The bungee cords are uncovered, black, hard rubber.
Hi Al, sorry it took so long to get back. My stool has the oridginal hard black plastic feet on it. As soon as I can I'm going to get some new bungee cords for it.
One other quick question. With your spinning stool, have you ever had any problems with it going off to the side when it goes up, or does it go straight up with a twist ?
Thanks for your time, Bob.
The spinning stool goes up straight as an arrow, but because it is twisting you have to be careful where you grab it. It is a little hard to explain, but on the non spinning stool you must step on the fat side or it will come up and hit you in the face, while on the spinning stool all legs are equal. If you are still not sure which one you have send me an email and I'll send you a picture of both. I would post them here if I knew how to do it.
[quote]
On 2011-10-04 21:58, Al Angello wrote:
Lou
You are absolutely correct it is just a silly sight gag....an adult with a childish mind could appreciate.
[/quote]

That's me sold!

IU was just looking at my adult comedy set the other day and I don't use many large props but the ones I do do I just take out of a bag I bring on stage. I as looking at a video of myselgfng down to pick this up and thought it looked naff. A jumping stool is the answer, I think. I think it's something I'll do while I'm recieveing my applause at the end to give it a wee extra boost.

Now which one to buy? I'm a little wary of Al's tooth-breaking, ceiling-smashing version...
I have used a jump stool in every show that I have done for over 25 years.

George the Cadillac model is sold by Stevens magic of Wichita, Kansas for about $130. It is wooden, and has custom made bungee cords. It is the one I use for every show, but I love to add the twisting rocket model if they go crazy with my wooden model. One more thing George I personally feel you and this gag were made for each other.

I just took a good look at my two aluminum jump stools, one is 12", and the other is 13". The bungee cords come with 10" of rubber, and 4" of hooks so which ever you have adjust the hooks to make a snug fit. Then use all of your weight to stomp that sucker to the floor, lean back, and slowly slide your foot off. WOO HOO
George
Here is the wooden one that Stevens sells, and I highly recommend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chyg6XyK4Zk

This one is the twisting aluminum model with inferior bungee cords, and crappy rubber feet
BOO HISS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZeMVDUjofE

If you put hard rubber bungee's, and hard plastic feet on the aluminum one you have got yourself a cork screw rocket. Instead of that pathetic enemic jump
I have fond memories of Ian Adair demonstrating Supreme's Jumping stool at Blackpool and pushing it down with his heel - his foot slipped off in the wrong direction and the stool snapped shut on his leg with all the force of a bear trap! So be warned!!

I love the jumping stool - I recently bought one of the inferior aluminium ones off Ebay and it twisted for the first dozen or so uses, but has now settled down and jumps straight up in the air.
I'm unable to find the black, hard, uncovered rubber cords anywhere locally. Can anyone recommend a source for them? Thanks.
I purchased my bungee cords at an automotive supply store. Remember 10 inches of rubber, and 4 inches of hook. Play with the hooks to get a tight fit.

Kimmo
The ones that come back to bite you is the oldest model. I think I purchased my first jump stool 20 years ago.
A friend of mine did a magic tour of Germany and they looked solemnly at his intricate card work but what really impressed them was his jumping stool, this they were in awe of.
Reigniting this thread. Looking for a source for the 12" black rubber bungee cord??
A brand name and a source would be great!!
The best use I've seen for the jumping stool, and I think it was Terry Seabrooke, was at the end of the act. A doctor style case is on the stool holding the props. As the performer finishes the act he picks up the case and pushes his foot on the stool which jumps up. There was a beat - a rhythm, to it (rule of three) along with what he said, that increased the applause.
I used mine once. Should give it another try
[quote]
On 2013-12-19 08:24, magicgeorge wrote:
I used mine once. Should give it another try
[/quote]

Really should- the audience loves it. I use it to set my water jug on for the Dancing Hanky Act- when the act is over I tell everyone to give Henry The Hank a round of applause, remove the jug in one hand and catch the jumping stool in the other then take my bow. A very fun prop!

RNK
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Dec 28, 2013 10:26AM)
Its a really great running gag. I go back to it throughout the show and ask, "are you ready to cooperate now"? I actually left mine somewhere recently.. I would say this though-if the kids are 4&5, or older they love it. Not all 3 and unders are crazy about it, so I tend not to use it, until after I've really established trust with the audience and sometimes I will skip it all together. It can startle really little ones
Another great use for The Jumping Stool from Paul Daniels. But watch all the way through for how to get a lot of fun from what is normally a quick trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKori4Pla34&feature=player_embedded