(Close Window)
Topic: Docc Hilford
Who likes him/who doesn't?

Chris
Chris;
Docc gave a lecture at our club last month. Although I don't do a lot of stage effects, his lecture was great. He started the lecture by doing the most bizarre torn and restored newspaper that I ever saw. Really discussed the presentation aspects of magic and really got me thinking about that aspect. His Casandra deck is really cool. He did twenty minutes with a little girl and one 260 balloon that was very funny (again presentation).If you ever get a chance to see him, do it!

Paul
I have his notes on a tradeshow routine. It's quite interesting and the whole thing requires, if I remember correctly, the ability to force a card---once in the 15 minute routine!

As you said---presentation
I've never met him, but I've seen pictures of him and I think he's really cool looking. I've read a few of his booklets and I've never put anything to use. But they are fun to read though. I would love to see him lecture and or perform!

Anabelle :giving:
Anabelle is in the house!!! Hey, girl!! What new in your area of the country? performing any gigs or restaurants?

Chris

:firedevil:
Docc's stuff is not for everyone! I have his perfect club act, this is not an act just anyone can do, because, it requires a set of brass ones, to perform it. I did get some useful ideas from it, but the act as is, did nothing for me. His Weeeird on atage 1 and 2, was long winded and boring by my standards, but others love it. His twenty minutes with a balloon and Imagination show, most consider junk, I would not go that far, after watching the imagination show giving it show thought, I created one that works for me and I make a few coins off it, here and there. His Twenty mintues with a balloon, was a waste if you bought it for an act, as I know some really good balloon twisters and his act blow chucks! However, it does give you food for thought about how to present something, which presentation is everything, so I did get something useful out it-55.00 worth of useful--not really.

Many of Docc books, sit on myslef, wonderful ideas, some I am not ready to put to use, some I love. As with most performers/writers, it is his style not mine or yours, so it maynot suit everyone, but overall I like his stuff.

Rest
I find his presentation and thoughts on the details very provoking. I have not had the chance to see him perform, though I have to say that about a great many folks I would love to see, But I do find his routines, and methods astonishingly basic, yet able to convey the complex. I find myself looking at things in even more unusual ways as a result of his writings and routines. Docc is probably responsible for my latest forays into the craft store and thinking...Hmmm mwhat could I "DO" with that ?!!!
He is one of the most original performers I ever met. His routines are flawless (when he does them) and he is a master of presentation. I saw a lecture of his once and it was very long but held your attention every moment. I will admit that his stuff is not for everyone! It is risky and requires TONS of practice. But to see the man himself in action is a real treat that can not be adiquately described. In a word; CONFIDENT!
I like Docc Hilfords videos, my favorite is real mind reading. The actual illusions are not earth shattering, most of them based on simple effects. Presentation is the concept here. I haven't seen any of his newer stuff. BUT.... He is lecturing in Miami in November at the Magic at the Beach(Or something like that)convention. I will be there if I can. You can hear Docc in the archives at themagicradioshow.com and I reccomend it. Also there is stuff about the convention. Two thumbs up!
Dave :dancing:
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Sep 14, 2003 01:18PM)
We could all take a lesson off Docc in simplicity at times.

I know I often run away with what I want to perform and not what people want to see and also method wise too. I know it's nice to have an intricate method but it makes sense to have a simple one!