(Close Window)
Topic: How do you end your show?
I end all of my children shows with the production of a real rabbit. Of course this is hugely successful with the children.

I am now booked for a magic show on December 11th. The show will be at the newly renovated Hyatt, in New Orleans. The client that booked me, said that the Hyatt does not want any live animals at the hotel.

The magic show will be for children ages 3-12. I'm now wondering what to finish my show with that would be almost as good as my real rabbit ending.

What do you end your magic show with?
Why don't they want any live animals? I have performed at numerous hotels that have a no pet policy and yet the animals still come and I have never run into any problems.

I only end one of my programs with the rabbit. The other programs usually end with a production of some sort. A square circle is usually a good way to do this.
My next to last trick is the chicken sword, and my last trick is always my audience participation club juggling routine.
Many folks use Hippity Hop Rabbits to close kiddie shows...

Julie
Thanks Julie!

You gave me an idea. I do not have Hippity Hop rabbits, but I do have Run Rabbit Run, and Fraidy cat Rabbits. I could do those right before I do a mirror box trick which I would use to produce Christmas candy to give out to the kids.

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm still open to suggestions.

Al, unfortunately, I do not juggle.

Chris
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 15:31, wizardpa wrote:
Thanks Julie!

You gave me an idea. I do not have Hippity Hop rabbits, but I do have Run Rabbit Run, and Fraidy cat Rabbits. I could do those right before I do a mirror box trick which I would use to produce Christmas candy to give out to the kids.

Please keep the ideas coming. I'm still open to suggestions.

Al, unfortunately, I do not juggle.

Chris
[/quote]

I think Fraidy Cat Rabbit would be the stronger of those two...

Julie
I tend to end with Silk Cascade (Fountain of Silks).

WizardPa, If you're interested, it doesn't take long to learn to juggle 3 scarves and a bit longer to juggle 3 beanbags. You'd be surprised at how well a little juggling with some fun writing will go over.

Just don't bill yourself as a juggler.

-Mary Mowder
I use the small "Dream Bag" from Royal Magic. I start the show with a number of props in the "Magic Bag," using those props throughout the show, then explain that I have the grand finale in the magic bag - supposedly a 5x5 clear plastic box that I will use for a major production. Reaching into the bag, one final time, I find that I forgot to pack the production box. ("Ooops! Can't have a grand finale without a big production.") What to do, what to do??? How about we use the bag itself for the production? Anyway, you get the idea.
Chris
I'm not a ventriloquist. The tricks that you are talking about are standard magicians props, you need to finish with a trade mark routine. I would suggest a sing along finish using your puppet.
I end on a puppet routine. I am not a great vent, but the routine knocks the socks off the opposition. I know this has been debated to death in the past, but with a bit of imagination there are far stronger endings than a rabbit.
Now that was another idea I thought of Al. I usually begin my show with my Axtell, hands free puppet,Taco, as seen with me in my picture. He is a big success. The only reason I thought about not ending with him is that some of the younger kids actually do think that he is a real bird, and I like to keep that illusion alive. But you gave me another idea, Al.
I actually have 2 Taco's, one hands free and the other hands on. I could do my regular hands free opening routine with Taco. Then, I'd carry him on his perch and put him behind a curtain. My assistant would actually put him into the carry crate I made for him. Then I'd do several Christmas related tricks and such. Then when I'm ready to finish my show, I go behind the curtain and come out with my hands on Taco puppet. I'm real handy at building stuff and I have enough time to build something, say, to make him vanish. Of course, Taco, would not be too keen on the idea once he knew what I planned to do to him. Now that would be a great closer. I just need to figure what would be a best way to make him vanish.
Chris
I end one version of the show with the Linking Rings. If they want a slightly longer show, I add the Chair Suspension. In another show, I end with Rich Hill's Spikes illusion.
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 17:24, wizardpa wrote:

...I actually have 2 Taco's, one hands free and the other hands on. I could do my regular hands free opening routine with Taco. Then, I'd carry him on his perch and put him behind a curtain. My assistant would actually put him into the carry crate I made for him. Then I'd do several Christmas related tricks and such. Then when I'm ready to finish my show, I go behind the curtain and come out with my hands on Taco puppet. I'm real handy at building stuff and I have enough time to build something, say, to make him vanish. Of course, Taco, would not be too keen on the idea once he knew what I planned to do to him. Now that would be a great closer. I just need to figure what would be a best way to make him vanish.
Chris
[/quote]

There are strong arguments both pro & con, but certainly one consideration is that it may not be advisable to end with the character vanishing--the kiddies might tend to worry about what happened to your friend Taco. :(

Julie
[quote]On 2011-10-20 18:39, Julie wrote: There are strong arguments both pro & con, but certainly one consideration is that it may not be advisable to end with the character vanishing--the kiddies might tend to worry about what happened to your friend Taco. :([/quote]I agree with Julie... not only for the end of the show, but for any vanish. If something vanishes and doesn't re-appear elsewhere, it leaves the audence to try to figure out where it went. If the item re-appears, it is stronger and eliminates at least one puzzle for the audience to pick apart.
I almost always end with my die box or PB&j routine. Both get applause at the end so its a natural thing to just say thank you and good night!
Yea, Your probably right about this. It would be the same if I produced a bunny and then vanished it without the children getting to meet it. That's what makes the bunny production so great.
Silk to Egg works for me.
Sounds like you have a perfect closer with your hands-on puppet. Simply perform a suitable routine with the puppet, end the show, and then take the bird out to meet the kids, just as you let them pet your rabbit. As Tony says, this is a much stronger ending than a rabbit production, the kids will actually be able to talk to Taco, and they will enjoy it more than a real bunny.
It also means your puppet will be taking a bow alongside you to close the show - which is a nice little touch. Though normally, it's better to end the show alone on stage, having a puppet is very strong.
Potty ;)
Sounds like a great idea Potty. I have the perfect trick I can close with, using my Hands on Puppet, Taco. It's a card trick. I have someone choose a card from a deck of cards. A magicians hat is shown to be empty and the cards are placed into the hat. I then put an end of a rope in Taco's mouth and he then proceeds to lasso the card picked by the audience member.

Using the hands on Taco after using the hands free Taco at the beginning of the show, should really surprise some people.

I'll even say something like; "Taco, my pet Toucan, is going to do the last trick for today's magic show."
I'll then put on the arm illusion and then I'll get my hands on Taco. I can do this in one minutes time.
A weasel escapes in a car then my clapometer explodes.
I came up with a routine for such an event.

I make a big deal of a rabbit production then produce a Rocky Raccoon out of it, much to the disappointment of the kids. I make a big deal out of not noticing that it’s not a rabbit, then I finally notice that it’s not a rabbit, I then I turn to rocky and say “Rocky where’s your costume?” I search for his costume and put it on. (a pair of white rabbit ears).

Lots of byplay, lots of gags and of course kids love it. At the end they don’t know if it was a real raccoon or not.

I came up with this idea when a parent changed their party location to a restaurant but still wanted me to produce an animal of some sort. I'm sure someone else has done it before me.
I end with the chair suspension with the birthday boy/girl taking a huge bow to big applauds! Also, I use Potty Painting as ending as well....
One of the few magic items I do not have is a chair suspension.

I came close to buying one about 25 years ago. I can see that being a good closer though.
I often finish with stratosphere or needle through balloon
Usually Chair suspension, dukes dye version, or ridiculous ravioli, although not a big trick starcle closes really well
For the more eleborate shows (in other words, am I getting paid enough to use a $20 balloon!) I do the giant climb inside balloon stunt.
I always finish my show with a sense of relief. Then there's the mad panick to do the 30 minute journey to my next party in 20 minutes!

Mark
I always end my show using my duck pan.
and making magical lolypops for the kids.
I tell them I have tricked them thru out the show.
and now I will treat them.it always goes over well
with the children and adults.
Producing candy at the end of my show reminded me of an ending I did many years ago. I produced candy from my circus wagon to end my show. Kids ran up and they started to grab at the candy and they even broke my wagon.
This was not the ending I expected.
It's changed throught the years, but I usually end with the resolution of a running gag. The current one: (with a tip o' the hat to the great zucchinni) There's a phone in plain veiw on my table all show, and after each trick it rings, and I pick up and yell "HELLO?? HELLO??" into some random object instead of the phone. Finally, after the final trick, I realize that the phone is what's ringing, and pull a 48" 'THE END' silk from it. As for the final trick, it's a monkkey puppet routine which ends in a huge cascade of bubbles.
Always hit the finally with a child assistant and Beowulf T. Wonderbunny himself; either an Abbott's Elusive Bunny Box, a balloon-to-bunny, or one of my Rainbow Paint Factory endings: beach house, Halloween decorated house, Xmas house, or bookmobile.

For larger shows, Beowulf does his scary trick, the one that makes the old people jump up, run out, and buy toilet paper and milk: a confetti wand to make it snow!
I end my Shows with either a Chair or Super X Suspension using the Bday Boy/Girl.
[quote]
On 2011-10-20 13:19, wizardpa wrote:

The client that booked me, said that the Hyatt does not want any live animals at the hotel.

[/quote]

The client may be mistaken, it could be that the Hyatt does not want any live animals on a leash, or running free at the hotel.

You may try to call the hotel and explain that you just produce the rabbit and put it away, as it does not run free producing little pellets along the way, they may allow it and you will slove your problem.
I really think there is more to it then the women that booked me wants to say.

When she first inquired about me doing a show, she did not know if the Hyatt, which is now completely renovated would be open yet. The Hyatt was extremely damaged after hurricane Katrina 6 years ago. She told me that the place where I might have to do the show did not want live animals there.

What are the odds of 2 different places not allowing animals? I have never encountered this problem ever before.
If it is the hotel, it is easier to beg forgiveness... Also in my experience, it is not something they enforce for performers - as long as you don't ask. They would probably object to a pony.... But who of the staff it going to see the bunny anyway? Probably some low paid position that won't care..
I end my show with my Chair Suspension usually. If not, my Floating Table.
Thank you ladies and gentlemen....I'll be here all week. Please tip your waitress and bartender. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. Goodnight!!
Mother of all diamonds. I ask who likes science? After all this magic it is time to do a science experiment.
[quote]
On 2011-10-29 14:11, snowpuppy wrote:
I end my Shows with either a Super X Suspension using the Bday Boy/Girl.
[/quote]

Super X?

Really that's kinds big to lug in a living room. Plus the dirty works is a lot to hide verse a simple chair suspension don't ya think?
I only use the Super-X when I perform in a large Hall,Banquet Room or Stage.
Most of my Shows have between 30-100 people,so my performance areas are usually quite large.
Mike
I end my show with "Good bye, Now beat it."
Just kidding.
Near the end--vent routine
Next to last-Birthday kid Coloring Poster routine. Keeps the poster
Finish with Rabbit production. Home parties usually MAK Flash Appearance.
I finished with rabbit production until my rabbit got killed by fox in neighborhood. I am fearful of getting another rabbit, but frankly, the kids didn't miss her that much. As long as I can find another taunt . . . like "I'm sorry we lost your soccer trophies," and then making them appear, or "You guys don't want me to make any candy appear, do you?" and then making it appear, etc . . . then it's okay. It was fun telling them I'd produce a rabbit from hat and then producing rabbit silks, stuffed raccoon, Axtell possum, etc. But I can make something else appear that will do just fine .. .
A puppet is always a good way to end a show....finish with the puppet, and say "goodbye" together. Then the kids will want to come up and talk to the puppet themselves....
I have many endings, and don't worry about this much any more. I do like to produce a big pirate flag, which definitely anounces "The End", but mostly my shows are for Birthday Parties, so I carry on after the end of the show anyway. My "Party Finale" includes Axtell's "Off the Meter", which I've adapted to shoot party poppers when it "breaks". That's probably my favourite ending.
Potty ;)
Hey REV BILL what coloring poster do you use as your finale?

Armando
Professional Painting from Dazzling Magic Marty Hahne
I have always closed with the Die Box. It really gets the kids going and the vanish/appearance at the end sends everyone home with a smile, especially the adults.
Small - man in the moon sucker trick
medium - mutilated parasol
large - chair suspension

Illusion shows, escape shows mentalism and corp are all different from the above. The above only relates to the little monsters... er, ah darlings, I meant to say
I mentioned this idea in another post, but I tried it twice last week and it worked well - I think it will work great once I get it down better. Anyway, I did a popped and restored balloon (Michael Kent's Repaired). I had a kid come up to pop the balloon with a pencil but I say its going to be loud so can someone cover his(the volunteer)ears. So that person walks behind and covers the first persons ears with his hands. Then I say oh -this person needs someone to cover his ears, and so on. I did about 6 kids the first time because I didn't want chaos and it wasn't the finale. The second time I got about 10 kids in a line. It worked well and the parents thought it was very funny. But because the kids were in a straight line they couldn't see me do the trick well. So next time I'll do it as the finale and I'll use all the kids, after they get in a straight line I'll have them march around acting like I'm having trouble deciding on how they should be lined up, maybe switch some kids around just to be silly, but then I'll have them in a circle so they can all see (still covering each others ears). I think it will be a great photo/video op, and involve all the kids. It will be at the end of the show in part because it would be too much chaos to have them all sit again.
Funny, Wortman did that balloon ear-holding bit about the 3rd trick in the show.
For kid's shows and smaller family style shows I always (big surprise coming) perform the Chair suspension Illusion with my custom routine. Always plays big and makes the child a star.

Kyle
Jay,
Who is Wartman? I know at least one person came up with the same ear covering idea independently - those things are bound to happen.
I always close my shows with my origianl snow storm illusion. regardless if it is a private home party or my full stage illusion show.

now many times in my illuision show or my school shows I will follow that with my thread of destiny illusion. my version of gypsy thread

but the snow storm gets them every time.

have fun

sam
[quote]On 2011-11-04 00:57, LVMagicAL wrote: Thank you ladies and gentlemen....I'll be here all week. Please tip your waitress and bartender. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. Goodnight!![/quote]ROFL!!! That was great… just great! Really made my week!

I've recently changed my finale. I still use the small Dream-Bag, but I've changed two things, due to recent reactions from the kiddies. But, I still love using a bag that just had half of the show removed from it. :)
I also do a die box at the end of a family show. That's the big end, then I actually do one more last, a jumbo version of Jeff McBride's "the Musn't"

For birthdays I do a magical adventure play where the child either participates in a mixed up fairy tale or is a hero with super powers. Both versions end up with a "bad guy" tuning into a magical present for the birthday child.
Gee, I see so many closing their show with the chair suspension, that I think I'll have to buy one after the New Year.

I'm very familiar with the trick because a very good magician friend of mine from the 80's use to do it in his show.

I'll have to see which one is the best one to buy.
For a Birthday show I end with the Duck pan. I have the Birthday kid come up and we do some baking. In the end if it's a boy he gets about 8 Hot Wheels, if it's for a Girl she get's a stuffed animal.
Bob.
Wizardpa: If youre going to get a chair-suspension, save-up for the one Jay Leslie sells. I don't own one, but it's the only version (sofarasIcantell) which DOES NOT SAG.

Sam: HOW in the WORLD do you get away with doing the super snowstorm in soeone's home??? Do you bring a vaccum-cleaner with you, or do the kids gather it all up?