(Close Window)
Topic: An old effect modernized
I didn't know whether to post this here or in the math section, but if I have made a false selection then I am sure I will find out.

I have looked at the calculator card effect.
Choose a number from 1 - 7 or 1 - 15 or 1 - 63.
Then tell me which cards it is on. (It is a binary number effect)

Anyway. I took some of those AOL CDs that they mail out. Some have different coloured centres.

I printed two CD label for each colour and I had as many colours as needed for the effect (To get to 63 you need 6 CDs)

Instead of putting the numbers on one side the way that they're on a card, I split the numbers over both sides of the CD. I put the cue number in different places, so that it is less obvious. The cue number is of course, only on one side.

When I do the effect, I show both sides and ask if they saw their number. And by the end I tell them their number.

Because I know the value of each CD, I can have them make a quick pile of the CDs that has their number.

It works and it doesn't reveal itself as easily.

I have also made a modified set where the number 1 is on all the CDs and 63 is on one. If that makes sense to everyone. A mental subtraction reveals the answer and it looks harder.

If you can do the math fast, you can add two more cds and have the spectator pick any number to 255.
Just knew those AOL compact disks would come in handy one day. :)
Similar to El_Lamo's excellent suggestion, I have also found that re-labeling 'computer' CDs can be useful. If you use labelling software like MediaFACE Applications you can turn out very professional looking dummy disks.

I use a set of 'fake' Classical Music titles to perform a CD version of Ted Lesley's "A Princess of the Opera". Ted's version used Opera Tickets, but those wouldn't suit the circles in which I work... However, because everyone(in the UK) has heard of Classic FM, the Classical Music CD are accepted, and the CD's themselves offer some unique presentational twists.

Perhaps we could start a new thread - how many 'magical' uses can you find for an old 'Internet' CD?

Just a thought, Jack :dance: