(Close Window)
Topic: What is the best resource to start learning Mentalism effects?
I have Max Maven's Videomind tapes but I would like to know if the are any others that are better. Please let me know.
Ok, last time... 13 Steps to Mentalism and Practical Mental Effects (Magic). :devilish:
But we know it won't be the last time.
:carrot:
Best resource to START is in my opinion Fulves' Self-working Mental Effects.

After that, get Corrinda if you have been having fun and have gotten some wows.

/bamba
Actually, the best way to start learning about mentalism would be simply to read all the [b]many[/b] topics already posted here on "the best way to start learning about mentalism".

... Doug
I agree totally with Doug's comments. And I would add, the best way to start learning is by starting learning mentalism, not by asking how to start learning mentalism.

Martin :)
Maybe we should start a FAQ thread and make it sticky. Might save a lot of going over the same stuff over and over.
Or start to mentor with a mentalist. :fruity:
An ex boyfriend worked extremely well for me. Naturally I had to prove I was interested in more than just secrets. And I've learned a LOT just reading around the Café as well!

Anabelle :giving:
Take a look in the First Year Archive of the Café. There's loads of useful information in there. Many of the threads include contributions by some of the greats of contemporary mentalism.
Okay, I am looking for something similar.

I'd like to find a book of lists of "things common to most people". You know the grey elephant in Denmark effect?

It has often been suggested that you analyze your "audience demographic", but I'm hoping for a slightly different type of "census"... most people choose the number "7", have two cats, usually draw a triangle inside of a cricle, favorite color red, something like that.

Of course, I'd MUCH rather do what Dr_Zodiac said, and take a mentor... now, if I could only find one that would take ME and isn't too far away!

Thanks
The 13 steps is THE place to start, and later the jinx. not only will you learn from masters, but you will have access to many forgotten effects.

J
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 11, 2003 05:57PM)
There you go guy,

All that stuff with pencil dots, human hair and spittle can wait till after you've taken the steps to heart.

Also, you might want to let go of the 'magician' 'effect' mindset. that's not how mentalism works.
Fulves Self-working Mental is a great start.

JMO :stircoffee:
Read what you find here, and try Ted Lesley's forum too.
It has been mentioned of others; 13 Steps..is a must, and Anneman's books.
This will give you a lot to work with for a long time.
Good Luck.
Sven :yippee:
13 Steps to Mentalism, no doubt. :nose:
Thirteen Steps is Great, as is Annemann. But I learned (and still learn) a lot from Barrie Richardson's "Theater of the Mind" although it's hardly a beginning text.
I have all of the above-mentioned books.

I've just finished Larry Becker's Stunners Plus and - I swear - I wish THIS had been my first mentalism book.

Of course, then all of the others would have paled by comparison, but so it goes.

- Greg Owen
Of course I would recommend "Pre Thoughts" by Banachek. This is a full routine from start to finish and not just a book of ideas. This was the very routine that Banachek performed as Steve Shaw in the 1980's and is still strong today. You can take anything from it and incorporate it into your own routine or use the whole routine. It's a good start for beginner or the more advanced mentalist with good theory, too.

And perhaps the best thing about it is that it's only $10.00 (plus postage).

yours,
Scott Wells
Self-Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves. A Great Book!
Corinda and Anneman can be a little daunting for the complete novice, why not try buying some really fun pre-packaged tricks in the magic shop to start a passion for mentalism flowing? I LOVE Paul Harris' new mentalism trick "Deep Astonishment" it is really fun and amazing.

Another good one is "The Thought Transmitter" by John Cornelius.

Just work on your presentation with super easy mentalism and once you're hooked, corinda and Anneman will be so much more fun! There are some really fun things to try out in Magic for Dummies as well.

Yours in magic,
Maritess
http://www.girliemagic.com

Oh, btw Clayton with your question,
Banachek's book, Psychological Subtleties is what you're looking for in terms of really great psych-outs.

Maritess
http://www.girliemagic.com
Good advice all, but I would narrow down exactly what I would like to perform, and then research that. For example, Precognition, clairvoiance, etc. You can probably pinpoint a direct source faster this way.