(Close Window)
Topic: The Grail Gold Edition
Hi Guys,

I have posted a demo of one of the effect from the Grail Gold Edition. I have included both a hit and non hit.
http://youtu.be/tiRA9r0gSvI

Best Regards

Peter
I thought this latest gold version of the effect was identical to the original version but with added performance methods.

I know my original version contained a gimmicked prediction that the spec couldn't handle.

This looks too good to be true. I hope I'm wrong.
Hi Pegasus,

What you have just seen is the The Holy Grail from the Grail Gold Edition. This does not use a gimmicked prediction card. I have been performing this version of the grail along with my two deck version for a few years

Regards

Peter.
Ok you got me there. My order's in.
Nice demo Peter :) Can you tell us how often the "non hit" occurs compared to the "hit"? Can the spectator really and completely examine the cards before the dealing phase? And one last question (sorry for that): what are the advantages of the "Gold edition" compared to the previous edition of "the Grail"?
And Peter...

Would you be kind enough to reiterate that you or Mike Rose have no issue with Shin's new "Think" effect - that you are satisfied as you said before that there will be crediting to Mike?
Peter, no disrespect intended here because the effect you all are going for with this plot is lofty. And if people are looking for "real" magic well .... uh... good luck on that. that said...........

Do you really consider the number "11" a "non-hit"? I just watched video once casually and I could see and piece together how easily an adjustment from 12 to 11 could be made "on the fly". I would hardly consider going from number 12 to 11 a hit vs. a non-hit?

how about going from 12 to 35? Wouldn't that be a better representation of what a "non hit" would involve?

what additional fumbling and/or extra overhead business would be added to trick (and video) for that type of a "non hit" ? That is what I am concerned about as a prospective purchaser of this product.

I'm not looking for real magic in a plot like this but when I perform it is for spectators who are reasonably aware/intelligent and paying at least fairly close attention. By the looks of that video it appears to me your range of acceptable numbers selected by spectator would be awfully tight.
Perhaps it was a coincidence but the other, older demo video, number 12 was also chosen.
Yea pegasus I noticed that as well? I must be missing something here? we ask spectators to "suspend their disbelief" and I'm willing to do a little of that as well when I purchase/tricks ideas from creators of effects. But I'm having some trouble with this(?).
There are only 52 cards in a pack guys. Certain numbers come up a hell of a lot as anyone that perform any routine using 2 digit numbers will know :)

The new demo shows both sides of the effect hit and non hit

Regards.

Peter
Ps 12 -35 would look exactly the same as 12-11 EXACTLY THE SAME :)
Hi saysold,

I have spoken with Shin and he tells me the effects are different and he's going to credit Mike so its all goodt. He is a clever cookie so I'm looking forward to seeing and playing with "Think"

Regards

Peter
Peter, as a potential purchaser of the Grail "Gold Edition", I'd like to know the difference between this one and the "old" edition (you can pm me if there is a risk of exposure...). Thanks!
Do you have the old version?

Peter
[quote]
On 2011-11-07 11:31, Peter Nardi wrote:
Do you have the old version?

Peter
[/quote]

Of course, otherwise I wouldn't ask that question!
Well in the new version, you have the following :)

A. Gold Edition

Every Alakazam Effect which carries the Gold Edition mark will have a number of new routines/bonus footage that never appeared with the first version!

The Grail Gold Edition now contains the following new material:

The Holy Grail

This is the version of the Grail that Peter Nardi has been performing for over 2 years (this version totally blew David Blaine away when Peter performed it for him).

Imagine handing your spectator a small black envelope which they are instructed to place in their pocket. A packet of cards are introduced and your spectator is asked to name a number between 1-52.† Whichever number they name (no force) is the number we go with.†† The cards are removed from the deck and handed to the Spectator to examine.† Once your spectator is happy the deck is normal they count through the cards to their chosen number.† The card exactly at their number (not the card before or after) is seen to be lets say the 3 of clubs. Your spectator removes the envelope from his pocket and removes the odd backed card inside, itís the perfect match.

1. Only one envelope
2. Only One Card in the Envelope
††† Magician never touches the Card or envelope once removed from the spectators†††††† pocket
3.† Only one deck used
4.† Deck is examined
5.† No switching of card or envelope.
6.† No Palming, adding or taking anything away
7.† Easy to Perform and carry on using the deck for the rest of your set after the effect.

Peter Nardiís Impossible Grail Opener (Stage Version)

If you perform a cabaret or stage act this opener is for you.† A great impossible effect to kick off your† show and gets you a randomly selected volunteer up on stage to help with your next effect!

Peter Nardiís Two Person Any Card At Any Number?

This is the ideal version to perform for a competition piece, parlour performance or when ever you have a table to perform on.† Peter uses this as a sit-down routine when he has a couple to perform to.

Two decks of card are introduced, One red and one blue.† One spectator selects a deck and chooses a card sight unseen.† The second spectator names a number between 1-52 and deals down to that number in the other deck.† Both cards match!

This is a real nailer and really plays big with a fantastic connection/coincidence premise!

Peter Nardiís Impromptu Grail

Now you can perform the great card at any number with your spectators own deck!!!

The Grail Gold Edition comes with the above routines and even more additional ideas - the definitive work on Mike Rose's NOW CLASSIC effect!

I hope that helps

Best Regards

Peter
I've also the old edition and for me it is the same principle....
The grail gold is aimed at people who don't already own the grail. The disc has a few more routines and ideas using the principle

I'm not trying to convince any of you to upgrade your Grail.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2011-11-07 11:54, Peter Nardi wrote:
The grail gold is aimed at people who don't already own the grail. The disc has a few more routines and ideas using the principle

I'm not trying to convince any of you to upgrade your Grail.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Thanks for this answer, Peter :) So it is the same principle (except in the first demo it is a 5H and in the old one a QS...).
I think its a good idea that Peter resurrects this to highlight how good it is. I bought it when it first came out and decided the "shortcomings" of the method were too much and it languished in a drawer. I am now revisiting this and think I was stupid. (BTW I have no connection with Peter!)

I think one of the issues is the way it was mistakenly perceived (and perhaps marketed) as an ACAAN. The ACAAN community is an obsessive bunch and imho its best to steer clear of them for fear of being infected by the same disease (I certainly had a good run in with the illness but think I'm coming through it). It of course is not strictly an ACAAN, but in my opinion a strict ACAAN is not a a very entertaining or direct effect whereas this is. What Peter showed in the "miss" demo is perfectly representative of real life. In retrospect I think it was the lack of DVD/video with the original that meant people didn't believe (wrongly) that it could be done smoothly and convincingly. It was simply an A5 two side piece of card with instructions - ahh the old days :)

Of course much of this is to do with Shin Lim's "Think" which, almost ironically, highlighted why The Grail is a good effect and method. Anyway, my two cents.

L
Dorian,

As you know the original grail uses a gimmicked prediction card. The grail gold doesn't. The prediction envelope and card are completely normal
Also I have had a lot of praise for the two deck version on the DVD. It's idea if you are working to a couple

Regards

Peter
I've had a couple of emails asking if it really can be any number between 1-52 and the answer is yes. Any number can be named.

Regards

Peter
Sounds like a real worker (and I was digging the original version already)!
Hi

This is great effect, cleverly thought out and a real worker.

Hats off to you Mr Nardi.

R
Peter fried me with this at Blackpool two years ago. It's really cool. Still don't know how it's done.

I think Predicted Card At Any Number is probably a bit more commercial than the tradition ACAAN effect. It's super direct whereas most ACAAN methods are not.
The BIG question: Should I get This (GRAIL GOLD) or THINK? :)

Best,

Kyle
Thunk about it...! :)
[quote]
On 2011-11-09 12:45, Nicolino wrote:
Thunk about it...! :)
[/quote]
;)
I lean towards THINK... but wait for some reviews first.
Not true you8 did touch the deck on the no hit no 11
vinny
Hi Vinny,

No one ever said I didn't touch the cards in the non hit ?

Regards

Peter
Correct.
This is an AWESOME effect! I just bought this item and I love it! To me it is one of the easyest card at any number effects!
Glad you like it Jeremy

Peter
I've always been a huge fan of the Grail. I agree with Peter that it's the cleanest single deck CAAN. Of course there's a very simple, intuitively obvious way to alter the deck to eliminate the gimmicked prediction. That alteration, of course, makes the deck just slightly less examination friendly. As a fan of grail, I'm tempted to pay for the 'GOLD" edition. But please, Peter, tell me GOLD doesn't mean doing a simple swap.
Hi Platt,

If the have the Grail. You don't really need to upgrade. The standard Grail was superseded by the Gold edition. The method is the same but more ideas are included on the DVD

Best Regards

Peter
Thanks Peter. I'm glad you showed a less than perfect outcome in the video. Of course, to either our dismay or comfort, the spectator reaction is the exact same no matter what number they call out. So really, the outcome is perfect every time. Leave it to this plot for all of us to think like magicians.
Hi Guy's here is my two deck version of the Grail from the Grail Gold DVD. Hope you like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4X86z3jBMQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2011-11-10 16:22, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guy's here is my two deck version of the Grail from the Grail Gold DVD. Hope you like it

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Just watched---very nice!
Peter, that's great!
Peter, I noticed in the two deck version that
the cards were counted face down.

Is it just for that routine or does that also
apply for the regular version when a 'high'
number is called?

Thanks.
No you can have them dealt face up from the fd deck It doesn't matter

Regards

Peter
Looks great- really sweet.
[quote]
On 2011-11-10 16:22, Peter Nardi wrote:

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Nice performance.

:xmas:
Yes, and THIS performance would lead an audience to suspect almost two one-way force decks... which is not the case. Jan
Thanks guys
[quote]
On 2011-11-11 05:05, JanForster wrote:
Yes, and THIS performance would lead an audience to suspect almost two one-way force decks... which is not the case. Jan
[/quote]

Jan-

Most audiences don't know about OWFD's do they?

But once can do a face up spread I assume to negate any suspicions.
Exactly. That was what I missed. :) Jan
Hey Jan hast Du schon das letzte I'm Think thread gelesen ? LOL
Yes, Jan :) Jan
Over 20 performances (of the original grail) I had two spectators easily spot the 'gimmicks' while examining the deck.

That's too close for comfort for me so it went back in the drawer.

Does anyone know if the new version addresses this issue? I can only think it actually increases the odds of being caught based on the new version using an ungimmicked prediction card?
I have performed this Thousands of times and never had it he gimmick rumbled. Even by magicians.

Could be a spectator management issue?

Peter
No magicians are far to polite at dealers tables and although we don't shout classic force , gimmick etc we just take card and think for the grace of god go I. We wouldnt want out own effects spoilt so we don't spoil fellow magcians effects either. I havent seen Grail gimmick by the way but just know how most magicians act at convention dealers tables. IMHO
What and they are never fooled? Ive been behind a dealer stand for 18 years and I hope I fool magicians with our tricks or maybe I'm just fooling myself lol
Why not use just a standard deck and have the prediction in a coin envelope on table which is a dfc with dbl pips?
I do have an impromptu version on the Disc.
I do have an impromptu version on the Disc.
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 09:49, Peter Nardi wrote:
What and they are never fooled? Ive been behind a dealer stand for 18 years and I hope I fool magicians with our tricks or maybe I'm just fooling myself lol
[/quote]
We are sometimes fooled Peter sure , but when we are not we politely see the trick through and shuffle on to the next stand. This isn't directed at The Grail anyway as not seen the gimmick but I don't always believe the statement magician fooler that's all.
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 09:56, Rizzo wrote:

Why not use just a standard deck and have the prediction in a coin envelope on table which is a dfc with dbl pips?
[/quote]

Better to have a two way coin envelope with normal cards placed inside the envelope. Or better still, to have a Piatt Envelope with normal cards placed inside. The deck can (if need be) then be examined/ shown to be a perfectly normal one.

But is there an end to all this? IMO, the Gold Edition is a very well thought out effect and needs no change in either the setup or in the method.

:xmas:
I recently bought this item to confirm that it uses the same methodology as an effect I've been doing for a few months now. It really is as practical as Peter (repeatedly) says and from the spectators' point of view, the magician never manipulates the deck in any way. The only sleight (if you can even call it that) takes places during an offbeat moment when the cards are spilled out of the case. Because all the work takes place in this "non-moment," it's invisible in both method and timing. Unlike other variations of ACAAN, Mike Rose's The Grail doesn't call for advanced memorized stacks, complicated math, or dexterous sleight-of-hand. Anyone with an elementary school education and two hands can perform this effect as smoothly as seen on the various demos Peter posted.

I like to perform this effect making use of Wayne Houchin's presentation for his original effect "Houdini's Influence" from his lecture tour. I hand the spectator a sealed envelope and introduce an aged deck of cards (Ellusionist's Vintage 1800 series in a leather case) as a replica of one of Houdini's props from his very last show at the Garrick Theater. At this point, the spectator with the envelope thinks of a number between one and 52 and the cards are casually examined. The spectator fairly deals down to that position in the deck. The prediction is actually a copy of Houdini's obituary from the New York Times with a paragraph summarizing Houdini's last performance "during which he impossibly predicted an audience member would select the ten of spades." The card at the chosen number is turned over, and the prediction accurately matches-- giving light to Houdini's last effect.

This is the way it turns out 100% of the time.

For all intents and purposes, The Grail is essentially an examinable forcing deck. This allows the prediction to stay in full view during the entire performance, making for an extremely fair performance. It's so hands-off, that people are often taken aback and feel... violated? by how powerful the trick is. They EXPECT the magician to do a switch or bottom deal or something, but that moment never happens because the entire effect takes place in the spectator's hands. Here's another full review to shed light on any other doubts.

1. The DVD is nicely packaged and the footage is clear and well produced. Alakazam obviously has a positive reputation in the industry for their professionalism and attention to detail. The DVD comes with the disc, gimmicks, extra cards, and a black envelope so that you can perform the original handling of the effect as well as Peter Nardi's variations. You do need to supply your own deck of cards.

2. The instruction is clear and concise. A few minutes of practice can produce a pretty smooth performance of the basic handling just based off Peter's instruction. Although I came up with the method independently months ago, I really wish I had Peter's insight, opinions, and tips to work with. He does offer some top notch advice and his conversations with Chris Harding further illustrate how the psychology behind the effect makes it so powerful. On top of that, Peter offers not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE different ways to present the effect. Everything from casual impromptu settings and close-up walkaround gigs to formal parlor work and straight-up stage performances are thoroughly covered. It shows how versatile the effect really is.

3. Lastly, the methodology behind the effect is extremely simple. Admittedly, there is some math and mental agility required, but as long as your can remember eight numbers, you'll be able to achieve this effect very easily. Hell, you don't even need to memorize those eight numbers if you can hide a crib sheet. Regarding how difficult that math goes during performance, I would relate it to that of the Invisible Deck, but it's even simpler than that. With just eight numbers committed to memory, you can make the force card appear at any position in the deck. It's that direct. You can then use the deck for your normal repertoire immediately following the effect. Despite it being a force deck, it's STILL a regular deck of playing cards that you can use for your entire performance. If you're curious about reset, it takes less than 30 seconds from a shuffled deck. If it's used as a standalone effect, the reset's even quicker. It is practical for table-hopping environments.

I can't really find anything negative worth complaining about with The Grail. It's a genuine worker. In fact, a part of me wishes it wasn't released... It's a great effect and well-worth the money.

Hope this helps.

Ray.
Thanks for review Ray. Really glad you like it.

Peter
[quote]
On 2011-11-12 09:29, nanaswan wrote:
No magicians are far to polite at dealers tables and although we don't shout classic force , gimmick etc we just take card and think for the grace of god go I. We wouldnt want out own effects spoilt so we don't spoil fellow magcians effects either. I havent seen Grail gimmick by the way but just know how most magicians act at convention dealers tables. IMHO
[/quote]

Absolutely. If this wasn't the case we would buy every effect from every stand. As it is, we probably buy just two or three.
Is there a jumbo version of this effect?
Reading Ray's coments, I've decided to take the plunge as I have never really been let down by any products that I have bought in the past from Alakazam. I only Plan on using this for walk around so hopefully it's not to much of a chore to do so. Will post coments when it arrives.

Darren
So I bought this a while back and have just recently had the time to somewhat road test this baby. I wasn't a huge fan with the original effect but as for the gold edition, I love it. Let me just say that this is truly a reputation making effect, as with all prediction type effects it's all about the set up and delivery.

The method is not hard but it does require some work as there is a little mental math involved.That being said, it's not hard it's just something I find you need to get confident in as when performing (for me anywise) nerves and adrenaline can get in the way. I personally feel that the effect is super clean and really does leave them dumb founded as it hits that hard. Any experienced performer can make this a miracle as I stated above, it's your presentation and it's all about focusing on the set up, delivery and focusing on the spectators reaction to drive this effect home.

I feel Peter has released a gem to the community with this gold addition and always look forward to his releases.

Darren
I just received this and Wow is all I can say. I went straight for the new presentation using the envelope with the prediction in it. You give the prediction envelope with card inside to the spec before the effect begins. Yes, you can show the deck face up as totally shuffled with all random cards, ask for any number between 1 and 52, and have the spec count down that number of cards to an exact match of the prediction card held by the them in the envelope since before you started.

They can name any number, the entire deck can be shown face up as completely randomly shuffled, and it works every time.

It does not get more magical than that.

This is genius level material. Purchase it right away, you will not be disappointed...

Well done and thanks to the team behind the effect,
Best,
Dave
Thank you so much for the kind words guys.

Regards

Peter
I think there is too many mental calculation to be cool during the routine. Even if writen on the cards deck. However the grail move is great.
[quote]
On 2012-01-06 16:21, oly92 wrote:
I think there is too many mental calculation to be cool during the routine. Even if writen on the cards deck. However the grail move is great.
[/quote]

Think of it as a sta***d deck. When I first started learning Osterlinds BCS, I felt the same way. After puting the time in, it now comes second nature and I use it often. Just play with it for a few min a day and you'll get it down.

Darren
Please quit talking about this. I received mine two weeks ago and performed it for a group a couple of days ago. Between this and Cameron Francis' "Annhilation Deck" I'm afraid I've set the bar too high. So let's just keep this one amongst ourselves, shall we?

Seriously, I am in awe of both the effect and the reaction it gets. I also started out with the envelope routine, and look forward to presenting it with the two deck presentation. It is so clean! Thanks Peter for bringing this out...I hope it remains a mystery.
The two deck routine is great for weddings! The way the Bride and Groom each select the same card is just priceless if framed properly. I also agree with now putting this thread to rest.

Darren
I have another handling which I will perform on an upcoming Alakazam news :)

Peter
[quote]
On 2012-01-06 16:29, stempleton wrote:
I hope it remains a mystery.
[/quote]
Sorry, number one in the Penguin sales chart for weeks.
Nuff said.
A question, after the effect is finished, are you left with a full, examinable deck which you can use for any other card effects? Thanks
[quote]
On 2012-01-15 01:11, MagicianDM wrote:
A question, after the effect is finished, are you left with a full, examinable deck which you can use for any other card effects? Thanks
[/quote]

I doubt it
[quote]
[/quote]
You can, but you're betting against your own luck and your spectator's luck :D
[quote]
[/quote]

How about "Can you use the spectator's own deck?" At some point you have to determine if an effect is strong enough on its own. In regards to your first question, remember the spectator spreads through the deck right after they are removed, so that removes any necessity in the spectator's mind to do it again. And yes, you could use the cards for the next effect, depending on what it is, but I agree with the others who have responded to this. With this item, if you feel the demo vids are strong enough (and they are a true representation!) you can do "The Grail" quite convincingly.
Mr. Nardi, got my Grail finally. Very pleases with the method, DVD explantation, and gimmick.

Big fan sir! Keep up the excellent work! Thank you!
Thanks for the replies guys, mine should arrive soon :)
Hi,

I have Think and was looking at purchasing The Grail
How hard is the sleight?

Thanks
I wouldn't even call it a sleight. It's very easy to perform.
Cheers Peter will put an order in tomorrow
No problem at all.
Got my copy of The Grail on Friday and just really had a chance to watch the dvd today.
Really like it and I think it is a lot cleaner than 'Think' due to the non removal of certain things, although 'Think' has easier calculations if that makes sense?
Can't wait to get The Grail down and use Peter's new handling :)

Very happy with this purchase
Performed The Grail for my partner last night who chose
47 and it worked like a charm!

Thanks
As a restaurant and bar performer, I often perform in bars for groups of regulars or "bar flies". It's not uncommon for someone in the group to break off and go to another group and ask me to come perform the same effect again. How difficult is it to change the prediction card to another, so as not to have the same card chosen again?

In the same line of thinking above, I have many regulars come in the restaurants where I perform and ask to see effects they like or bring someone new in and ask to see a particular effect, is it possible to make the "gimmick" and regularly change the prediction card?
Once again I'm having a great deal of trouble not buying something. I really want it, but I have soooo much stuff. I know this is a great effect. I also have an idea how part of it works, but I really want it! I like my ACAAN a lot, so do I need this? Probably not, but will I love it and use it? Probably. Why did you have to make something so tempting! LOL ...

FYI: I've posted this before - that I have an ACAAN for anyone who PMs me. Warning: It's not real gimmicky and uses almost no slights, so most magicians won't like it. However, note these points: borrowed, spectator shuffled, spectator handled deck. Free choice of card and number. It's a free write-up. I wish I could sell it, but it's too simple. Fries spectators.

Dennis
I'm often asked by a spectator if they can shuffle the cards. Is this possible prior to going into the routine?
No you cannot have the spectator shuffle before the effect
You can use a spectators deck though
Reignofsound,

Thanks for the reply.
No probs..
Hi Guys,

We have just made up another batch of Grail Gold. We will ship any back orders tomorrow.

Regards

Peter
Simply love The Grail. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with the "move" which is referred to as a non-move on the DVD. For a non-move, I'm not having much success with it. I posted my issue in "The Banquet Room" "Secret Sessions". Would love to hear if anyone else is having the same issue.
Read your post in secret sessions and posted my comment there.
Where is the secret forum?
[quote]
On 2012-02-03 19:00, reignofsound wrote:
Where is the secret forum?
[/quote]

When you reach 50 post you will get access to "The banquet room".
But you don't miss much. IMO there's more interesting stuff here in these open threads.

Vidar
Thanks for the heads up Vidar
[quote]
On 2012-02-02 21:43, close-up wrote:
Simply love The Grail. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with the "move" which is referred to as a non-move on the DVD. For a non-move, I'm not having much success with it. I posted my issue in "The Banquet Room" "Secret Sessions". Would love to hear if anyone else is having the same issue.
[/quote]

I have the same issue. Have you managed performing the "move"? Do you have any hints for me?
Agreed the move takes a bit of a knack
I think it all depends on the angle

I have said oops a few times and no one has noticed.
Yeah - for a non-move it's pretty hard to do convincingly.
"The Grail Odds" iPhone App is for use with "The Grail" by Mike Rose. You must own "The Grail" card trick in order to benefit from this App. The instructions for "The Grail" card trick will not be explained as to not give away the secret to anyone not owning "The Grail".

What this App does is eliminate you from having to do any calculations, removing any memory work and allowing you to concentrate on your presentation.

"I The love the Grail ACAAN but I hate doing math in my head with the new Grail app there is no more math so I can just work on the presentation, with Carls app anyone can do this awesome ACAAN Effect with ease." - Erick Olson

"Really nice Carl.
The Grail has never been easier to perform. What a great idea!!"
Peter Nardi (AIMC)
(Associate Of The Inner Magic Circle)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-grail-odds/id507453567?mt=8

http://www.mojosoftwareonline.com
So, from the audience standpoint, what is the purpose of the app?
Ive got the grail and also think its great. I just need to practice the memory work a little to get it down more smoothly
I've made a small Excel application that gives you a random number between 1 and 52 (exluding 1 and 52).
After 1 second it reveales the closest force number that you will set the deck to. The delay is adjustable to your likings.
The force number can be hidden if you prefer that.
You can also test yourself from where and how many cards need to be moved.
Send an email to vlervaag@online.no if you want to try it out.

Since I don't want to reveal the force numbers to anyone who doesn't have The Grail, I want you
to write the last sentence on the back of the DVD cover in your email.
Have blurred parts of the image to not reveal anything.
Don't know why you would bring your phone out though?
For all you 'The Grail' fans, J.K. Hartman has worked out a new handling where the spectator handles the deck.

It's the last trick in his new book, Card Dodgery. It's called Holey Grail. He gives credit to the original version of The Grail.

I've been frying everyone with this beauty. ;)
Jamie, thanks for sharing the great info!
To perform the original version of the trick... has anyone tried using a double sided gaff prediction card??? that way the deck would be 100% examinable and 100% normal.

it would also be relatively easy to switch the gaff force card for a normal card while the spectator is counting the cards in the deck.

so you could perform it by: putting out the envelop + deck in the case... they name their number... you take the cards out of the case... then ask them if they want to see the prediction first or the numbered card in the deck first. they most likely say that they want to see the prediction first. you show the prediction. they count to the card... while they're counting to the card, you switch the gaff card out for a normal card... then when the cards match, everything is 100% examinable and you can emphasize that there's only one of the selected cards in the deck.
Nice Adam, very nice.
With flavor of the hour garbage coming out every day, I want to again post my love for this effect. I've been performing it for many years now and it never disappoints. One examinable deck. One odd backed prediction card and you're ready to go. Anyone complaining about the sleights of hand or mental calculation difficulties is truly being lazy. I believe this is one of the most practical 'altered' card effects of all time and unquestionably the best CAAN (not ACAAN). As somebody mentioned, Shin Lim's unnecessary variation on this is really a testament as to why Grail is the best. Looking for your next trick? Get Sugar Rush. Then get this.
Adam, nice but kind of unnecessary. Who would want to examine the prediction card? Its a prediction. Nothing magical happens to it. Its above suspicion. Just seems a bit more trouble than it's worth.
[quote]
On 2012-11-02 23:13, Cameron Francis wrote:
Adam, nice but kind of unnecessary. Who would want to examine the prediction card? Its a prediction. Nothing magical happens to it. Its above suspicion. Just seems a bit more trouble than it's worth.
[/quote]

ya... switching out the gaff prediction card would be optional. the main reason for my idea was so that the deck was 100% normal
I agree with Platt...this trick is a fooler. The responses are always tremendous and the suspense on my spectator's faces is awesome to watch....and this is a real worker. Thank you to Peter Nardi and team for bringing this to market.
I've had this a while now and I just can't do it.

"Easy to perform"? My a***

One Grail Gold Edition for sale.
I would have to disagree Ross, I beleive it is easy to perform. Yet it will take a little practice BUT not much. The key to performing the Grail deceptively is being able to handle the deck casually.
I'm with Peter on this.

A little mental agility required but nothing too taxing after a bit of practice.

I'd liken it to the Invisible Deck in terms of difficulty level.
This is a great effect.... very cleverly thought out and very deceptive.... I remember when Peter caught me out with this at blackpool 2009, I was stunned.

Ross as Peter states, the handling of the deck is key, its an easy effect to perform once you get your head around it.

All the best

R
I have to say Jamie's opinion counted in favour of my ordering this because he normally talks slightly less cr*p than others here. And HRH Peter Nardi is held in similar esteem...

BUT...

It's not the mental stuff: I can cope with that, as should anyone sentient over about 10. Nor is it the "carrying it off", that is, the attitude required.

No, it's the ahh...digital stuff. I'm no Erdnase, but I can cope with most intermediate stuff and this has me beaten. I've tried it with a firm grip, a feather grip and I just can't get it consistently. But you gentlemen have persuaded me to give it a bit more practice before abandoning it.

Any tips?
Whenever I do this, I use as new a deck as possible. That helps me with "the move" tremendously.
OK - nearly got it now. New deck helped.
Good going Ross. You'll get it in no time
Love the trick, but having some difficulties with the mental equation. :(
[quote]On May 7, 2015, Sam Hagen wrote:
Love the trick, but having some difficulties with the mental equation. :( [/quote]

From what I remember its adding or subtracting 1 to 4 ?
Sorry. I mean remembering the "key numbers" and subtracting / adding it with the right number, plus the way to take the cards out from the deck. Well, maybe I'm not practicing enough...

S.H.
Let me just say I highly recommend this product! This is one of the best card effects I have ever come across. I perform close up brunches at the magic castle twice a month and I close every single show with this effect and it kills every single time. Spend the time to develop a fantastic presentation for it and you will get the reactions you desire. I have received numerous bookings from this effect alone. Probably the best purchase ever!
Aaron O'Brien
One of the best tricks I ever used and keep using.
Easy, shocking, amazing and so on.... I think one of the best acaan on the market.
If you have the old version I think there is no need to upgrade since the principle is basically the same.
The deck can be quickly examined (but not carefully examined) by spectators.
My vote on this:
9/10
I've tried quite a number of "card at any number" effects over the years and, in the end, I've kept coming back to "The Grail" as my favourite. I agree with those who say that there you don't need "Gold Edition" if you already have the Grail, however. I do the small move that exists in this trick just slightly differently from the standard method/explanation (find my own handling just a little easier and more reliable) but, either way, it always works and the move always flies by the spectators. It's easy to do and looks impossible. I keep buying new ACAAN effects (can't help myself) but, in the end, when it comes to actually performing I always seem to end back at this one!
Initially I was using Think by Shin Lim which was great but had a few cons, the Grail by Mike Rose was my next purchase and for a time was my go to effect if I was doing an CAAN, it completely solved the problems 'Think' had for me, although the simple math involved wasn't very simple for me. Recently Alakazam took out a download by John Carey (Night at the Casino) which is the next step forward I feel in this genre and very similar to what's come before, great thinking and very simple math if required. Just my 2 cents.

Greig. :bikes:
^^^^

Thanks for the 'heads up' on "Night at the Casino", Greig. As usual, I am late to that party, but thanks to your post I downloaded and LOVE it! Great effect!!
[quote]On Jan 10, 2018, greig ewen wrote:
Initially I was using Think by Shin Lim which was great but had a few cons, the Grail by Mike Rose was my next purchase and for a time was my go to effect if I was doing an CAAN, it completely solved the problems 'Think' had for me, although the simple math involved wasn't very simple for me. Recently Alakazam took out a download by John Carey (Night at the Casino) which is the next step forward I feel in this genre and very similar to what's come before, great thinking and very simple math if required. Just my 2 cents.

Greig. :bikes: [/quote]

Totally agree, my Grail has been consigned to the bottom drawer since I got hold of Night at the Casino. Simple, smart and no fiddling about
I do the Grail also. My instincts after watching John Cary's version is to download that offering too.
Without giving anything away, would any presentation be so different justifying the extra work to assimilate 'Night at the casino' into my working set? I have Grail down, no longer need to think about the workings etc...
I ve both but I still like the grail more.
Personal opinion