(Close Window)
Topic: Mylar for mirror illusions?
Does anyone have experience with the use of mylar instead of glass to act for mirror illusions? Suppose to make something person-sized disappear, which is better?
Distortion is a problem with mylar at this size. you can get away with a plexiglass mirror if you're looking to cut weight.
I need 2 small mi**ors for a box, maybe 1 foot square. what materials are out there?

I was thinking I had to go to a glass shop & get them cut...
Billappleton,

Glass mirrors would still be your best option at the small size you need. If breakage is a concern, be sure to install them in a manner that allows for low-hassle replacement. Plexi mirrors will also work, but the weight difference is not that big of a deal at the small size. Polished stainless steel can also be used, but tends to produce a reflection that is a shade darker, so much would depend on the application.
The glass guy I used for my Tricky Trash Can cut them out of Closet door mirrors.. and they're backed in a Fiberglass woven cloth.

If they break.. they don't shatter and come apart... which makes it safer... and saves a lot of clean up if you drop the prop.
[quote]
On 2011-11-18 09:52, billappleton wrote:
I need 2 small mi**ors for a box, maybe 1 foot square. what materials are out there?

I was thinking I had to go to a glass shop & get them cut...
[/quote]

Bill, your the Plexiglas expert. You get Plexiglas mirrors at the same store. Some mirror shops carry them, but not on a regular basis. We have a Trade Show display company that sells a lot of Plexiglass and mirror Plexiglass. They are very helpful if you want to DIY instead of using their services.
Glass is still the standard. Plexiglas can be marginally lighter and less fragile but there's the problem of scratching. Mylar mirrors can be extremely light but if there's any movement at all is they will distort. Then you still have to look at the option of front surface or traditional mirrors. The front surface is much better magically but you haven't even more delicate scratching problem than the plexi.

For most situations and especially smaller applications glass is still the best. Just make sure that they come out for transporting them if possible.
This all makes sense! I had a guy tell me that working with mylar was a typical thing, and I didn't believe him. This is why I come to the Magic Café.
I have a m irror t****l, the sides are real glass, the top is plexi. Something does not look right about the plexi when compared side by side with real glass. It just looks a bit off. With this side by side comparison, if I were ever to make something else out of mirrors, I would real glass.
Hi all

Tap Plastics has Acrylic mirrors in 1/8 and 1/4 inch thickness

They have a strong gray backing for the reflective material and are covered by a nice protective coating you peel off the front

I CANT tell the difference between these mirrors and regular glass, the Acrylic is clear as a bell.

What is nice is that you can cut and sand these mirrors with easy and no worries of breakage. There are also quite cheap, Tap will cut to size and sell by the foot.

I doubt I'll be using anything else.