(Close Window)
Topic: Who Needs A Table To Perform The Cups Anyway?
This young man could show many, a thing or two about the Sidewalk!
[url=http://youtu.be/ARa4EPCLf2Q]Namaste'[/url]

A nice improvisation of his cups,wand(dowel), and his pouch(burlap sack).

"Criss Angel ain't got Sh** on this kid!"~My girlfriend's son
A young miser's dream with Rupees!
[url=http://youtu.be/GKHB9m6Hq60]1, 2, 3, Rupees[/url]

[url=http://youtu.be/rCYlKXMBxHQ]Sidewalk Talkin'[/url]

Folks, if you have been on the fence, and don't think you can do it,
[b]Yes You Can![/b]
Very nice! This is the way I remember the Hindu cups being performed when I was in India in the 60s. That is using some kind of common metal kitchen bowl. I didn't see anyone use the knobbed cup that is often associated with the Hindu Cups and Balls. What A nice fast two cup routine. I especially liked the youngerster who could speak English. Thanks for the links Devious!
Thank you Punjabi, I have a Mumbai sounding accent.

Happy Diwali, even though it has passed.
Namaste' (The Divine in me recognizes the Divine you)
Hey Harry, I was there in late 70's (which makes me a youngster compared to you being there 60's LOL) and it's funny but I saw a difference compared to what I see on youtube now. What I see on youtube now is very fast snappy patter with very similar presentation styles. I never saw this in 77-78 when I was there, though I did see the cups and balls. Usually played with what looked like bike bells or similar.
And often the big finale was the snake(s) in the basket. I got a feeling a similar thing happened there as here with internet access etal. Everyone doing similar presentations.

DEVIOUS, my friend, where in India have you been?
If recent, what sort of tricks did you see?
Was there many performers or did you have to seek them out?
Curious on how it's all changed in the 30+ years since I was there?

Ciao for now,
Nelson
Nelson, I saw street performers in several small towns inland and some port cities like Krishnapatnam (sp?) and of course Bombay (now called Mumbai).

The cups I saw were small rounded metal bowl-like affairs. Some may have been bicycle bell tops, others looked like biscuit cutters (like my mom used in the day). Most of the magicians I saw were men and starting in age from the mid 20s upward to maybe late 60s. I didn’t see any young boys performing.

Their acts were similar in general as if there was one basic model to be followed. All had fast paced cups and balls, some did coin stuff (a crude misers dream with different size and domination coins if I remember correctly). A couple had snakes and played with them (I guess “charmed” them). At least one did a tongue piercing routine (this was in the days before tongue piercing was commonplace so was pretty amazing looking). Didn’t see the classic “mango tree” illusion or Indian rope trick and I looked for both.

While I really don’t remember much and my notes are long gone, I do remember not being overly impressed. I also gave some small change to the “hat” in appreciation for their work. I always tip buskers. It helps me build good karma!
Yep, I was a tad disappointed also. I was in my early 20's and had read numerous books about the amazing feat of magic witnessed in East India. What I found were, from my perspective as a westerner amateur magician at the time, very rudimentary skills with very rudementary objects. But looking back, I guess you could say they got the job done. Very simple magic with coins, rope, scarves, polished stones etc. No levetation or teleporting. I spent most my time coming from Lahore Pak to Delhi, Agra, Benares, everywhere in between/around and eventually up to Katmandu.

Good grief! I'm reminensing.

Nel