(Close Window)
Topic: Zombie Ball question.
I am thinking of buying a Zombie Ball. I can get a black cloth with it for an additional £5.

Does anyone happen to know whether there is anything special about the 'zombie ball cloth'? Does it have any gadgets, gizmos or gaffs I should know about? How big is it? Would I be better off buying some fabric and making my own?

Any help gratefully received,

Thanks.
The zombie ball "cloth" is big enough to produce the desired effect. Usually from the tip of your outstretched fingers to the middle of your chest or so.

You can go with whatever you want as far as cloth though, and size for that matter if you feel more comfortable with a smaller or larger size.

For 5 clams though, why not get the one that's made for it? Later you can change and get a different color or size if you want.

:comply:
Thanks for that, that's what I thought, but with an accountant for a wife I have to keep an eye on the pennies! ;)

Sounds like it would cost a fiver to make my own so I'll support the magic dealer and save myself some time.

Thanks again for the advice.
I married a woman who loves to sew. I purchased my first Zombie silk but it looked too 'magicy'. I decided that the next one would be made by my wife. It turned out beautiful and I've used it ever since.

If you do choose to make it yourself, I would suggest a material that slides fairly easily so it doesn't get hung up here and there...if you know what I mean. My wife also constructed it with a double thickness to block any light.

Just a couple of thoughts for you.

Steven
If you want a great routine, get McBride's Magic On stage 3
There are a variety of cloths. Most recently I bought a blue cloth with a shine of mini-beads which give a beautiful effect when light hits the cloth.

In addition I have the standard black cloth and the expensive PA Silk with the dragon on it as well as other cloths for floting other objects.

Many in the magic industry feel the floating ball is overexposed so they float other things such as a skull during the halloween season, or float a table, which by the way, is a very powerful effect on the standard zombie type illusion.

Yes, [b]McBride on Stage[/b] Volume 3 has a great routine.

Here is a saying for classic effects, "Set the standard that other magician will want to emulate."
Thanks, McBride on Stage Volume 1 is the only magic DVD I currently own. I find his instructions hard to follow but once I get it I usually like it!

Volume 1 has a lot of linking rings stuff on which is the other thing I'm learning at the moment.

So, Volume Three is now top of my shopping list.

BTW The cloth I bought with the zombie ball is really quite see through even in good lighting. So I am going to have to get the wife to help make one anyway. I will be sure to get my wife to make it lightproof as Steven's wife did.

Thanks again guys. This is why I love the Café. :)
just make sure that it's a double sewn cloth, to make sure that NO light will expose the gimmick. I have that problem.
I Use Floating Skull ( As Zombie)
I See One New Look Floating Table at SPARKUNIVERSE during My Search http://sparkuniverse.tripod.com/
Its a difficult trick to do well--probably one that beginner's should avoid. When you're ready, check out Tommy Wonder's thoughts inthe Books of Wonder, and on his dvds
I agree with the following two requirements:

1)The cloth has to be opaque so as not to allow any backlighting. If you work outside, this is a major consideration. My cloth from a dealer will allow me to perform the effect with the sun behind me.

2. Slippery cloth is best, particularly if you're using the faceted Vernet model, which is the one that I use.

L&L compiled ideas from Jeff McBride, Al Schneider and Tommy Wonder in the "World's Greatest Magic" DVD:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/020107zombieDVD.htm

My routine is based on Al Schneider's routine.

-Wayne
Take a look at Jeb Sherrill's Zombie Re-Animated DVDs. Lots of heavy zombie stuffs there.
The advantages of using a double-weight silk foulard are twofold: (1) it's fairly slippery and, as a result, "things" won't get hung up on it; and (2) because of its relatively light weight and the way that moving silk flows, it adds to the illusion that the ball is really floating.
The No-Cloth Zombie methods that use miming are interesting. I find them sort of completely obvious.
I disagree with avoiding effects that are hard when you are a beginner. I practice lots of hard stuff, I just don't do it for people because it isn't ready.

If you start practicing zombie now you might be ready to show it to your friends.... in a year or two.
I see pros do zombie poorly embarassingly often. Please make sure you practice this effect A LOT before you do it in public.
Agreed. And good job of knowing not to perform it unpolished.

[quote]
On 2008-11-10 13:12, scaevola wrote:
I disagree with avoiding effects that are hard when you are a beginner. I practice lots of hard stuff, I just don't do it for people because it isn't ready.

If you start practicing zombie now you might be ready to show it to your friends.... in a year or two.
[/quote]
36 inch silk but it depends on you,Tim Wright dvd,Joe Carson the inventor,Roy Fromer another pioneer, I wrote in this forum much of the zombie please do some arm work and look.Respectfully DonR.
If you're interested in a gimmick-free zombie, it's Raymond Crowe's.

You can read about the "naked zombie" here:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/040808crowe.htm

You can watch a video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1D-uktSH0
(I think this is the right link - I'm working from a different computer and couldn't watch the video, but this is what came up in the search).

-Wayne
Can I 3rd the Tommy Wonder work on the Zombie

Tommy Wonder gets great action and a real, natural look with it
This may or may not prove worthwhile, but this evening at Walmart in the "Christmas shop" I saw they had a variety of "shatterproof" Christmas balls in two sizes: approximately 2-3 inch and approximately 4-5 inch. They are in silver, gold, red, green, blue. Some have a glitter finish. I got some, and from what little testing I've done, they're tough but light. Fairly inexpensive. $5 for 6 large, or for 12 small. With minimal work on the stems, they might make decent zombie/floating balls. FYI
Google al schneider, he has one of the classics in zombie work. His claim is that his can be done surrounded! It and others are taught on the worlds greatest magic zombie dvd by L&L