(Close Window)
Topic: The Muppets are Communists
According to FOX:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/fox-news-the-muppets-are-communist_n_1129173.html
Viva la Revolución, Kermie.
"Why did chicken cross road, comrade? To get in line for bread! Vokka, Vokka!"
[img]http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/e/ed/Fozzie_Season_1.JPG[/img]
Did you mean "vodka, vodka"? :)
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5PTGICunJ6Y/Tt0umr7lCUI/AAAAAAAAAOU/-_IhxpLXwU8/s400/BeakerCommie.jpg[/img]
[quote]
On 2011-12-05 14:46, Tom Cutts wrote:
Did you mean "vodka, vodka"? :)
[/quote]

Could be... Maybe I misheard :lol:
"San-ta Claus--wears a red suit--he's a com-mun-nist...!"

- Arlo Guthrie
"And he has a long beard, must be a pacifist.

What's in that pipe he's smoking?"

I love Arlo!
Well, maybe not. I couldn't find anywhere in the story where fox used communist in the story about the muppets. Maybe a bit of hyperbole by the huffington post? And of course you guys all fell for it. I'm sad to see that even Magnus's sophisticated bs detector didn't go off and have him check the links. So, which news source is it that makes up the news again?
However .... I just realized that it DID call the muppets liberals. Maybe all of you just naturally associate liberals for communists. I can see now why the confusion.
Good point Rockwell; nothing in the Huffington Post article points to anyone using the epithet "communist". I listened to the [url=http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201112020036]original clip[/url], and the host does at one point say, "Why are we teaching our children class warfare? What is this, communist China?"

Amusingly, he allows all the guests who agree with him to talk freely, but the one token dissenter is shouted down at least 3 times.

But in fairness, he's not calling the muppets communists; he's using his show to rail against liberals and to take a couple of shots against the President.
The caption at the bottom of the Fox screen during the broadcast condemning the Muppets, Captain Planet, etc., read "Are Liberals trying to Brainwash your Children against Capitalism?"

Kind of verifies the recent findings of the Fairleigh Dickinson and University of Maryland studies about FOX viewers.
[quote]
On 2011-12-05 20:43, rockwall wrote:
However .... I just realized that it DID call the muppets liberals. Maybe all of you just naturally associate liberals for communists. I can see now why the confusion.
[/quote]
Did you watch the 7+ minute video clip on Fox, linked to in the Huffpo piece? The word communist did come up in it: "What are we, communist China?"

Using the word communist in the article headline might have been a little over the top (but let's be fair, communist is what many people on the right mean when they say liberal) but if that is over the top then I don't know what the words are for Fox News making a 7+ minute on air diatribe against the Muppets and Cars 2 etc.
Without the perpetuation of such sterotypes, the consumers of gas and plastic products (i.e. all of us) would have to face the unpleasant reality of being equally culpable for the negative consequences of our own actions. And who would want that?
[quote]
On 2011-12-05 20:34, rockwall wrote:
Well, maybe not. I couldn't find anywhere in the story where fox used communist in the story about the muppets. Maybe a bit of hyperbole by the huffington post? And of course you guys all fell for it. I'm sad to see that even Magnus's sophisticated bs detector didn't go off and have him check the links. So, which news source is it that makes up the news again?
[/quote]

I was just making a Russian Fozzie joke... Wokka Wokka.
That Rockwall wouldn't look out of place at a Leninist League meeting with that red tie and kerchief - I remember the good old days when he was pictured with the cat that looked like an angry spitting camel.
From http://cnsnews.com/news/article/sesame-street-muppet-pitches-government-dependence-free-food-school

with slogan "The right news. Right now" comes this:

---
Lily the Muppet – who worries about her family not having enough money to feed her properly -- pitched free food at school:

“Sometimes we can't always afford to buy all the food that we need,” Lily said. “I mean, but we've been finding lots of ways that we can get help...Yeah, for example, at school I get a free breakfast and a lunch...part of the meal plan."
---

Really, how are the muppets NOT communist?

Please, let's not even get into Fraggle Rock.
[quote]
On 2011-12-08 02:11, Destiny wrote:

... that looked like an angry spitting camel.
[/quote]
Lol. Yes, I loved that (lookalike) angry spitting camel.
Sorry for the triple post, but check the communist related 'top comment' at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMu7WvM_zik
Sort of like when that one Teletubby was accused of being gay or some such thing. As a conservative I always find it funny what is read into things.
Oops, I typed read, which is close to red - and we all know what that means!
The Muppets are Communists and the Capitalists are Muppets.
[quote]
On 2011-12-09 22:29, thorndyke wrote:
Sort of like when that one Teletubby was accused of being gay or some such thing. As a conservative I always find it funny what is read into things.
Oops, I typed read, which is close to red - and we all know what that means!
[/quote]

Ironic, seeing how it was the arch-conservative, Jerry Falwell, who was first to make that claim about the Teletubbies.

http://www.theory.org.uk/ctr-rol3.htm
The Muppets respond to the allegations,
[url=http://animatedconjurors.blogspot.com/2011/12/we-thank-you-4-visiting-us-here-at-ac.html]Here[/url]
I regarded Falwell as an embarrassment. Anytime the right accepts these guys I want to upchuck.
[quote]
That Rockwall wouldn't look out of place at a Leninist League meeting with that red tie and kerchief - I remember the good old days when he was pictured with the cat that looked like an angry spitting camel.
[/quote]

Oh, comeon destiny, have I ever attacked you?
Your post seems to suggest that I was agreeing that the muppets were communists and I can't see where I made any such suggestion. Just the opposite, in fact.

Rockwall. (minus the spitting camel)
Excerpt from an opinion piece in a weekend newspaper ...

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/tabatha-southey/tickle-me-pinko-fox-says-muppets-brought-to-you-by-m-for-marx/article2266268/]Tickle Me Pinko: Fox says Muppets brought to you by M (for Marx)[/url]

[W]hat America's library of children's films would look like if they'd been written instead by Fox commenters:

1. Charlotte's Web of Lies: A rat persuades a pig to take his place in the food chain, after an elitist spider who has far more children than she can reasonably afford tries to talk him into pursuing a liberal education instead.

2. Where the Wild Things Are Hunted to Extinction but Free-Market Capitalism Ensures that Housing is Built.

3. Mrs. Frisby Rats Out the Welfare Queens of Nim.

4. Cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Monsters Inc. Busts a Union.

6. Snow White and the Seven – No, Six – Excellent Republican Nominee Hopefuls.

7. 101 Dalmatians Help Employ a Large Number of Furriers.

8. Night at the Creationist Museum: Although exhibits come to life, a man spends a restful night in the museum, because dinosaurs and humans existed together quite peacefully.

9. The Land Before All the Illegal Immigrants Ruined It.

10. Finding Nemo's Birth Certificate.

11. Harry Potter and the Invisible Hand.

12. The Black Stallion Who Would Not Be There If Not for Affirmative Action.

13. The War on Christmas Story.

14. Robin Hood and His Entitled Men: The brave Prince John promotes stability by fighting unconstitutional wealth-distribution schemes.

15. Kung Fu. Panda Hardly Needs To Be On The Protected Species List, He Knows Kung Fu.
Then there's the lyrics from the next to final number in "The Muppet Christmas Carol"

SCROOGE: With an open smile
And with open doors
I will bid you welcome
What is mine is yours
With a glass raised to toast your health
(With a glass raised to toast your health)
And a promise to share the wealth
(Promise to share the wealth)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpb9EbmvM5M
[quote]
On 2011-12-10 11:19, rockwall wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Oh, comeon destiny, have I ever attacked you?
Your post seems to suggest that I was agreeing that the muppets were communists and I can't see where I made any such suggestion. Just the opposite, in fact.

Rockwall. (minus the spitting camel)
[/quote]

Rockwall - sorry if it didn't come across right - oh no, I said right - I mean correctly - I was joking and would certainly never attack you - you have always been extremely pleasant conversation.