(Close Window)
Topic: Easy memorized deck tricks
Hi All.

I'm trying to find easy memorized deck tricks that don't require doing math in your head (something I'm terrible at) or estimation; something easy to get my confidence up with the stack.

So far, I've found Simon Aronson's invisible card trick in Try the Impossible.

Can anyone recommend other simple memorized deck tricks (stack independent)?

thanks in advance,

-- Frank
I love Allan Ackerman's Opener (Las Vegas Kardma). I like the alternate ending that is in that book more than Allan's though.
There are [b]many[/b] topics in this section of the Café on "favorite tricks with memorized decks". A simple search on "memorized deck" would be far more productive than starting yet [b]another[/b] topic on this identical subject.

... Doug
I did that. I didn't see a clear answer to my question, possibly because the posts are older and I'm getting too many other hits for "memorized deck"-- I'm looking for EASY memorized deck routines. Can you please help?

-- Frank
[quote]
On 2003-09-12 21:35, ddyment wrote:
There are [b]many[/b] topics in this section of the Café on "favorite tricks with memorized decks". A simple search on "memorized deck" would be far more productive than starting yet [b]another[/b] topic on this identical subject.
[/quote]

That might be helpful if he were actually asking for "favorite tricks." He needs *easy.* I'd check out Joyal's six-hour memorized deck.
Aronson's Histed Heisted is excellent for letting you basically recite your stack, unbeknownst to the spectators, and discover what cards they are merely thinking of. When properly presented, it will astound your audience.
Ask someone to name a card and call out the stack number and let him count the cards when he rch the named card he will be very amazed. Very easy and pretty strong. Do a good false shuffle before.
This is a good training effect for memo stacks.
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 10:14, Magicmike1949 wrote:
Aronson's Histed Heisted ...[/quote]

I do this effect. You think it qualifies as "easy"?

Gianni
Gianni,
you took the words right out of my mouth. Histed Heisted is certainly not easy, at least nor for somebody who just starts doing memorized deck stuff.
Histed Heisted is not easy to perform, but it is an easy and straightforward structure to keep in your mind. I have performed it about 30 times, and have had a few instances where things did not go as planned (always mental errors on my part).

However, an easy memorized deck trick would be "Center Cut Location" found in Aronson's "Bound To Please." It is very strong.

Check out Secret Sessions for my variation of this principle that plays well.
Nick
The poster said he did not want to being doing complicated math in conjunction with a memorized deck. There is no complicated math to do with Histed Heisted. You simply recite your stack in groups of ten and match the number of the person to the corresponding card. If you don't know your stack cold, you shouldn't be doing memorized deck magic: period. I believe my suggestion fits the criteria of the post. No memorized deck trick is easy. But all presuppose that you know your stack. Otherwise, use a a crib sheet on the front of the deck when you get it back from the audience. Then you don't have to memorize anything. Since Histed Heisted requires you to basically recite the stack while doing the trick, I think it fits the desire of the poster perfectly. If you disagree, so be it.
Actually, the part of Histed Heisted that I have the most difficulty with is in looking at each card directly, and miscalling it as I recite the stack. Everything else is easy. I want the eye contact on each card index to be perfect, and if I'm not concentrating hard enough, I have called out what I was actually looking at. If that happens, keeping track of the mistake and playing the odds get difficult.

Nick
Try "The Lusthaus Card System". The system can be mastered in a few minutes. there is little memory recall or mathematical computation.

Whilst it is limited for some effects, you immediately know the position of any card named - which is what I need it for.
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 23:12, Nick Pudar wrote:
Actually, the part of Histed Heisted that I have the most difficulty with is in looking at each card directly, and miscalling it as I recite the stack.
[/quote]

Nick, I can relate, and found that shifting my eyes out of focus (the way you do when you look at those "3-D" pictures) works for me. It still appears that you're looking at the index, but you're not focusing on it which spectators can't discern. Of course, by the end of the effect, I usually go cross-eyed and pass out -- ah, the price of being an artiste. :baby:

Larry D.
Larry,
Good idea. Although now that I've crossed over the age of 40, having my eyes go out of focus is not that difficult!

Nick
Darwin Ortiz' Zen Master is a very powerful trick, and is easy to do. --- does contain a bit math though, but only adding and subtracting with numbers from 1-52, which is pretty easy!
Here are some good sources for easy memorized deck tricks, from my list of memorized deck tricks (if you want the full list, which is about 15 pages long, PM me and I'll PM the list to you):

[b]Card memorization tricks[/b]:

“Pattern Principle, The” - A new, unique method for remembering the sequence of colors in a shuffled deck, “Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3”, Steve Beam (Article by Lewis Jones)

“Barrie’s Move a Card” - Performer memorizes a shuffled deck, one card is moved, and the performer can tell which one, “Theater of the Mind”, Barrie Richardson

“Red Alert 1” - A spectator shuffles a deck, and hands it to the performer. Performer remembers the order of the colors, and sets aside four cards to “transmit” to the spectator. After the spectator tries his hand at getting the colors, the spectator and performer switch roles. The cards are dealt into four hands, and the performer is able to recall the color of any card chosen, “Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3”, Steve Beam (Trick by Lewis Jones)

“Red Alert 2” - A spectator shuffles a deck, and hands it to the performer. Performer remembers the order of the colors. The deck is then cut into two halves, with one given to the spectator and the other retained by the performer. Performer is able to successfully able to determine when cards will match or not, “Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3”, Steve Beam (Trick by Lewis Jones)

“Red Alert 3” - A spectator shuffles a deck, and hands it to the performer. Performer remembers the order of the colors. The performer is then able to determine whether each pair (from the top down) will match or not, “Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3”, Steve Beam (Trick by Lewis Jones)

“Red Alert 4” - A spectator shuffles a deck, and hands it to the performer. Half is given to the spectator. The spectator mentally chooses a card from their pile. Performer then remembers then entire pile. Spectator then takes the pile face-down, deals off cards face-down one at a time while naming their color. When spectator comes to mentally-selected card, they intentionally mis-call the card, and keep going through their pile. Performer is able to recall which card had the miscalled color, “Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3”, Steve Beam (Trick by Lewis Jones)

“Celebrity Feat, The” - The performer leaves the room, and several spectators decide on any famous person. The performer returns, and asks each spectator to name any three cards. The performer develops a reading based on the named cards, and is able to name the celebrity, “Secret Ways of Al Baker, The” & “Al Baker’s Magical Ways and Means”, Al Baker

[b]Memorized deck tricks[/b]:

“Birthday Book, The” - After a spectator names her birthday and selects a card without looking at it, she looks up her birthday and notes which card is written in it - the same card she selected, “Workers 5”, Michael Close

“Case of Simple Logic, A” - A spectator’s selected card is quickly and cleanly named, “Desert Brainstorm” - Vol. 2, Larry Becker

“Remote Control” - Performer and spectator each shuffle a deck. Performer’s deck is placed in spectator’s pocket. Performer then has spectator peek at a card from the other deck. Performer then mentions a location in the deck in spectator’s pocket, which proves to be the location of the spectator’s chosen card, “Scams & Fantasies With Cards”, Darwin Ortiz
Which stack do you prefer.... and why?
Personally, I prefer (and use) the Tamariz Stack because of the ability to get to the stack from NDO.

The best stack for anyone is the one you know by heart!
The two stacks that I know (of) and have played with are the Si Stebbins stack (requires an ability to do the 3 times table i.e. 4 threes are a queen lol)

And the one that I found easier was the 8 Kings stack. I haven't put enough work into either of these to know by heart the card at position 32 or 18 for instance. But for deck recitals, the second stack fulfills the critereon for no maths ability.
Ungimmicked version of the invisible deck. My method (I hope it isn't marketed)

Prep: Flip one card face down in a face up deck and REMEMBER it. Put it in the case and wait to perform it.

Method w/o patter: Take out the deck and riffle through it fast enough so they won't see a difference( if in the middle) spread (if the card is on the bottom) and cut the cards (if it's on bottom). Put it back in the case and have the spec hold the deck. Now all you have to do is force the card. This is how......

Say the card is the 4 of spades.

You know the 4 suits? Yes, pick 2 of them. Hearts and Clubs. Ok that leaves the diamonds and spades. Pick one of them. Spades. In the deck there are 3 special cards....a 2,4, and a 10. Pick one.....10 ok that leaves the 2 and 4. 4. Ok lets recap....you pick 1 of the 4 suits and 1 of 3 numbers. You had a free choice and you openly picked the 4 of spades. yes. Just take a guess where your card is. In the middle. Would you believe me if I told you that you could mentally flip your card over while it was in your hands. No. Neither would I lol. Well just spread through them and see if it worked. They see a face down card and voila a VERY sneaky and hard impact trick.
I also think the The Lusthaus Card System is a very easy way to memorize a deck of Cards. I use that deck when I need to use a force deck.
I should mention that there's a detailed essay on "Full-Deck Stacks" at [url=http://www.deceptionary.com/]The Deceptionary[/url] Website (look in the "information" section). It touches on several of the issues that have been mentioned here. And it's free.

... Doug
Here's another very easy, and effective, memorized deck trick:

“Sport of Memorization, The” - A spectator selects a sports card, and then a playing card. The playing card has the signature of the selected player on the back., “MAGIC” - March 2001, Stan Allen (Trick by Joshua Jay)
Thanks All, for your replies.

Incidentally, I am using my own stack. I built it using Joyal ideas, and incorporated tricks I liked. I think one gets the best of both worlds this way-- easy to memorize, and built in tricks of your choosing.

Frank
djvirtualreality,
Thanks for taking the time to write/share your method for the ID effect. I respect people that go an extra mile for others.
If you enjoy being fooled or fooling your magician friends, it's better to come up with your own stack order. As soon as I see the curse of Scotland on the face of a pack, I get suspicious.

AW
I'll take the bait. What is the "curse of Scotland"? If it's something to do with the Nine of Diamonds, I understand the rest of the message -- but please inform us uninformed.

Incidently, I'm sure many are aware, but just in case you're not, if you are interested in exploring stacked deck magic, check out my free software StackView at http://www.stackview.com.

Nick
Cheers Nick, I'll check it out.

And your guess was correct, it is indeed the nine of diamonds.

best
Andrew
Yet another great, easy memorized deck trick that work independent of any stack:

“Children’s Yard Sale, The” - The performer shows a box of cards purchased from a kid’s yard sale. A spectator names a card. The performer turns the case over to show a price. The performer counts down to the number given by the price, and the named card is found there, “Wise Guy”, Harry Anderson
Accually I didn't even think of the Invisible deck. I do Mike Close's version which I think works great. I use the Aronson Stack becuase it has the poker demo in it. I'm going to starting to work on a full poker demo using the Aronson poker deal. I also think that a spectator just naming a card and locating it is a great effect. I usually do a named card triumph routine when starting out. Then I go into Allan Ackerman's Opener or Simon Aronson's Everybody's Lazy. My favorite memorized deck trick is Everybody's Lazy becuase the performer doesn't even touch the cards and you can locate all 3 selected cards, though there is a little math involved.
Re "The Curse of Scotland", here is a link to the multitude of explanations for that name for the nine of diamonds. Take your pick.

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/playing-cards/curse.html

Steve