(Close Window)
Topic: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1
An Afro-latina examines Latino identity

Negro: A Docu-Series about Latino Identity Pt. 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxKIqWXJIs
I loved the woman's comment that "we are everything." As I watched the film, I thought of my own identity as an Italian. The real power of this documentary lies in its subtle message that stereotypes still exist. I have had people tell me that I don't "look" Italian. I have no idea what that means. I really only encountered such comments after moving to the Midwestern US. Except for Chicago, Detroit, and St. Louis, it seems that America's heartland has this "Goodfellas" vision of Italians. Some of these people have been shocked to learned that MANY Italians have light skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair.

I also thought a lot about Dr. King as I watched this and thought again of his dream of a society where we are blind to the color of another's skin and to one's ethnicity. I am proud of my Italian heritage and all all ethnicities should be proud. Yet jokes based upon stereotypes of Italians, Hispanics, Belgians, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, and, well, you name the ethnicity and it has been the butt of jokes, still persist. But our pride should be based IMHO on a greeting of "namaste" which means: "the Divine in me recognizes the Divine in you." In that respect, we ARE everything.

Thank you Natural Mystic for the link to a wonderfully produced film!

Ahimsa,
Vlad