(Close Window)
Topic: Reviews needed please...
Hi guys, here I got the list of the DVD's and tricks I am planning to get...could you guys please tell me, which one you guys think is not worth the money, and why...

Roberto Giobbi Taped Live! Video
Mental Miracles DVD by Bob Cassidy
Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas
Ted Lesley's Cabaret Mindreading DVD
The Very Best of Gary Ouellet DVD Set
Blind Luck & Pure Skill Video by Dan Paulus
Impression by Yousif Salhab
The Xpert by Neil Tobin
Brother John Hamman's Lost Works DVD Set
The Cassandra Deck by Docc Hilford
The Magic of Alex Elmsley DVD Set
Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing DVD
Mind Mysteries DVD Set by Richard Osterlind

thx heaps in advanced...
I only have the Xpert out of all that stuff, and I will give you my review of it -

First off, it should be noted that this can't be used with Bicycle or Bee cards, but that does not matter because there are many other infinate uses for the Xpert.

The Xpert is the essence of simplicity, so some may not like it right when they open the package because they feel that they wasted their money. However, if you look at the routines in the booklet, you can't help but smile and wonder why you didn't think of it yourself.

The Xpert is disguised as a very ordinary object that people will never suspect. People will look at it, handle it sometimes, and they won't notice anything funny about it.

Also, it's always ready to go. Just throw it in your pocket, and you can perform many different tricks. The mothod is also sooo simple - the trick can basically be done before you even start, so you can focus more on your presentation.

When presented correctly, people will think you are psychic. However, when presented incorrectly, you are not nearly scratching the surface of the full potential of the Xpert.

Here is an example of how powerful the Xpert is -

I did the "Out of Body" routine on my family. I built it up a lot, and told a little story about how I was working on something, and I might be able to make a penny in my mom's hand dematerialize just using the heat energy in her hand. I had my mom shake the pennies in her hand and then just hold on tightly. I asked her if she felt something happen. Much to my amazement, she said YES! My sister and dad freaked out when she said that. They were completely fried when I made the penny materialize in her back pocket!

This is definately a great trick, one of the only gimmicks I will definitely use. Also, there are infinate uses for this just waiting to be discovered, whether it be a totally new routine, or a way to enhance a trick you already perform. The Xpert is only limited by your imagination, and the better you present and set up the story and build up suspense, the better the trick will be.

The Xpert is so simple, yet so deceptive that there is no possible explanation... I really like how the handling is so fair and clean. This is one very few gimmicks that I actually use and enjoy using.
The Xpert by Neil Tobin is the only item I see worth getting.

Chris
So MagicChris - you have seen everything else? How can you give a negative comment on material you haven't seen yet?

I have seen the Richard Osterlind DVDs and they are incredible. If you're serious about mentalism, these are a must have.

The Bro. Hamman and Gary Oullette DVDs are a great historical reference. You will not be blown away by the production value of these, but if you want to see these two great thinkers perform their material, it's the best you're going to get.
The review for my trick is still active on the Tricks and Effects forum, so you can find it there on the front, or you can look in my signature for the link to the thread.

Thanks.
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 18:54, Steve Pellegrino wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 16:58, MagicChris wrote:
The Xpert by Neil Tobin is the only item I see worth getting.

Chris
[/quote]
So MagicChris - you have seen everything else? How can you give a negative comment on material you haven't seen yet?

I have seen the Richard Osterlind DVDs and they are incredible. If you're serious about mentalism, these are a must have.

The Bro. Hamman and Gary Oullette DVDs are a great historical reference. You will not be blown away by the production value of these, but if you want to see these two great thinkers perform their material, it's the best you're going to get.
[/quote]

Big Steve is in the house!!!

The Oulette DVD's are poor.The Bro John ones were filmed by Kaufman with a hand held unit, so they are verrrry shakey. If you like historical pieces, they're ok. There are better references for his work.

Osterlind is a snoozer of a performer!!!

Chris
Chris,

Again, I ask you, how can you judge the material on a DVD when you haven't seen it yet? I know you haven't seen the new Osterlind DVDs. You are making a judgement of Richard Osterlind from a video made by Jeff Busby 15 years ago - the material and presentations on the new L&L set are not the same.

Cardfreax ask for reviews - you are not giving a review. You haven't seen the new material yet.

As I mentioned in my previous post, don't expect to be blown away by the production value of either Bro. Hamman or Gary Ouellet. But it's probably the only chance you are going to get to see with one of them doing their own material. Yes, there are some other video sources, but not all of that material!

So Chris, if you haven't seen the new Osterlind DVDs and are making comments about what you haven't seen, what else on that list haven't you seen that you are saying isn't worth getting? Try being specific about what you don't like instead of saying "it's not worth getting".
The Ted Lesley DVDs are excellent. I believe Steve Brooks has a review of them on this very site.
[quote]
So Chris, if you haven't seen the new Osterlind DVDs and are making comments about what you haven't seen, what else on that list haven't you seen that you are saying isn't worth getting? Try being specific about what you don't like instead of saying "it's not worth getting".
[/quote]

I haven't seen Blind Luck & Pure Skill Video by Dan Paulus but I can tell it stinks.

I don't have to see the new J LO movie to tell you it stinks. Magicians have to use instincts more than anything!

Chris
Wow MagicChris, you are amazing! I can tell you've got it all figured out.
I agree with Steve here. It seems that your not giving any of the other DVD's a chance without even purchasing them.
Get the Xpert trick and the Ted Lesleys dvd set.
I think those will be worth your money.
so which one you guys think I shouldn't buy?

thx...
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 23:05, MagicChris wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I haven't seen Blind Luck & Pure Skill Video by Dan Paulus but I can tell it stinks.

I don't have to see the new J LO movie to tell you it stinks. Magicians have to use instincts more than anything!

Chris
[/quote]

But the point is, the original author asked what is worth the money and why, not what are some from the hip instincts.

A disservice is done to him and the rest of the forum when using blind instincts, especially when someone doesn't preface that indeed, their gut feeling tells them that those items requested to be reviewed are not worth anything.

A better note would be to clarify that instincts tell that a only a certain effect has value.

The original poster was looking for reference, not a quick instinctive comment.

:righton:
Beware the Elmsley DVDs.....

I've said it in other threads, but if you're hoping to see the great man in full flight, you will be very disappointed. Due to his age at the time of filming, his 'chops' were not up to scratch and his performances nearly put me to sleep.

You should be aware of that fact before you purchase them.
Well I cant tell you what not to get b/c I haven checked out half of your selections, I will tell you that I recommend the Giobbi lecture Video the tricks are good, but where you really benefit is from hearing his thinking behind the tricks he gives. Taking the time to apply this to your magic will help you more in the long run
Xpert is worth getting... someone mentioned sometime ago, that when you get it, don't look at the booklet and try to figure out what the gimmick is on your own.... see how long you take... :lol:

Mind Mysteries is great! Its nowhere near boring, and the performance is worth watching to see how he handles spectators and how he presents. Subtleties and such. Think you be missing out on quite abit if you haven't seen it.

Chris.... its fine if you think its a boring DVD without even having watched it. Perhaps you have attained mindreading to the utmost degree. :eek:

But to everyone else, check out the demo and decide for yourself, although the demo is only a peek into the DVDs.

Lost works of Bro. John is rather good.... get yourself a cup of coffee though. If I am not wrong, the works were never meant for publication, some sorts of personal library and reference. Thus, its not made specifically for the purpose of presentation, though it can be a tad slow or boring at times, the ideas behind them are really good.
Hi cardfreax,

my opinion on some items you listed:

stand up monte:
I like it, and in my opinion, it is very good for layman, but for magicians, they might know the secret. ocassionally I perform it for some of my friends and they absolutely love it. just need to remember your moves and you should be in for a great time with your friends.

Impression:
very very cool trick. you only get the instructions. you provide your own deck. this trick teaches you one move, and oh boy, what a move. it is one of the most diabolical move and I absolutely love it. have been using it frequently since I bought this trick. once you learn this secret, you can incorporate it into your performance and it is very very powerful. I strongly recommend you get his trick.

The Xpert:
a cery clever idea. when you receive it, you would be going like "why didn;t I think of it!!!" cool.
a number of stuff you can do with this idea. but what others say about this not working on bee and bicycle card is true. if you don't mind this and do coins, then you can seriously consider buying this.

Lost works dvd:
I bought this not long ago, actually haven;t finished watching the whole set yet. the production is not tip top, cause it was never meant to be released anyway. But I can tell you the ideas behind are some of the best I have seen. the only complaint I have is the sound. not very clear. But the stuff are truly wonderful.

Csssandra deck:
I mentioned this before, and I think someone also mentioned the same thing; buy this and use it. Do not buy this for the secret. It is a very cool concept. the idea behind this trick is amazing. It uses a principle which you already might know, but by adding some clever and brilliant combination of cards, you have an amazing trick. very cool. I use it frequently too.

mind mysteries dvd:
I do not have this, but it is on my list of "to get items". I have osterlind's break through card system and I am very impressed with this man's ideas. very decepive. will be getting this set of dvds when I have enough cash.

hope I have been of help to you
eric :)

[quote]
On 2003-09-13 09:51, cardfreax wrote:
Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas
Impression by Yousif Salhab
The Xpert by Neil Tobin
Brother John Hamman's Lost Works DVD Set
The Cassandra Deck by Docc Hilford
Mind Mysteries DVD Set by Richard Osterlind
[/quote]
Hi!
Well, they say that "there's no accounting for taste" and that "beauty is the eye of the beholder"...Even so, I can't but recommend the Osterlind DVDs highly. They are full of fantastic and useful material. Likewise, Cassidy Dvd is great. Same with Lesley's.

Anyway, I'd like to point out why IMHO there are many different opinions on this or another subject (above all, on the mentalism field).

On the whole, in magic and specially in mentalism the important thing is not just to know the "trick", but how to perform and apply the psychological bits appropriately. I've seen a lot of magicians who, because of their eagerness to see the latest "secret", tend to play down the material if no new method is revealed. I'd say that "they can't see the forest for the trees".
Best,
[quote]
On 2003-11-04 18:26, Dr K wrote:
Beware the Elmsley DVDs.....

I've said it in other threads, but if you're hoping to see the great man in full flight, you will be very disappointed. Due to his age at the time of filming, his 'chops' were not up to scratch and his performances nearly put me to sleep.

You should be aware of that fact before you purchase them.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. I'd recommend these videos only to learn the effects, not to see a great performer. Some of Elmsley's ideas and creations are genius, and the magic world is better for them, but watching these videos is like watching paint dry.

With regard to other videos and effects you mention, cardfreax, I highly recommend Xpert and the Mind Mysteries DVD Set, but I can't comment on the rest as I don't own them.

Regards, Larry D.
[quote]
On 2003-09-13 09:51, cardfreax wrote:
Hi guys, here I got the list of the DVD's and tricks I am planning to get...could you guys please tell me, which one you guys think is not worth the money, and why...[/quote]

Hi!

Happy to add my two cents worth into the mix for the stuff I've seen and worked with:

Roberto Giobbi Taped Live! Video - This is excellent! Only a few items are actually explained, but the detail and the thinking behind everything is worth repeated viewings. Giobbi's handling of the LePaul Card In Envelope is excellent. I had just skimmed over the routine in Card College 5 since I knew the DVD was coming in the mail and I wanted to see it performed before I read the full description. It's *very* good and it will fool laymen and probably a decent number of magicians.

Mental Miracles DVD by Bob Cassidy - Cassidy is a long-time pro and this is a great little DVD showing his full stand-up act, then a full dissection of it with Dennis Marks. There's some wonderful material on it, and it's quite enjoyable to watch.

Ted Lesley's Cabaret Mindreading DVD - Ted's performing persona on this DVD is a bit drier than I had expected, and that was a bit of a disappointment. The material, however, is quite good, and I think it's a worthwhile investment. Do be aware that the construction details of the Teleportation Envelope are not given on the DVD for some reason. You'll need his book Paramiracles in order to get the necessary info.

Brother John Hamman's Lost Works DVD Set - These are simply wonderful for those of us who never got the chance to watch Brother John perform live. As you probably know, these were simply visual reference notes for the use of Richard Kaufman in writing The Secrets of Brother John Hamman, so the production qualities are minimal at best. That said, they're definitely worth having just to watch Hamman work. And, even though he's relying on written notes for a number of the items, they will still fool you. There is such a wonderfully effortless quality to his work that I found myself being blindsided time and time again. They're well worth the investment of time and money.

The Cassandra Deck by Docc Hilford - Just got this a little while ago (along with the companion book Fem Fatale) and haven't given this a workout yet. It's a very clever combination of principles and there are quite a few possible effects with the deck. After playing with it for a bit, I like the ideas behind it and I know this will find a place in my regular work.

Hope the above helps!

Jeremy