(Close Window)
Topic: Glad to see tv is coming up with fresh ideas
Message: Posted by: JRob (Dec 16, 2011 08:29AM)
/sarcasm

Just saw a promo for a "new" sitcom from ABC. About these two guys who masquerade as women to get jobs. Now when Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari did it under the name "Bosom Buddies" they masqueraded as women to get housing.
Never mind, the desired ends are different, I guess it was a totally different idea.
Message: Posted by: Josh Chaikin (Dec 16, 2011 08:42AM)
Cue the feminist movement.
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Dec 16, 2011 10:00AM)
Oh, the whole thing was pre-dated by "Some Like It Hot".

There are no more original ideas. Only novel applications. (Sciences like astrophysics are exempt from this.)
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 16, 2011 10:08AM)
Hasn't everything been recycled since The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy? What is new about that?
Message: Posted by: randirain (Dec 16, 2011 10:43AM)
"No more original ideas", "everything has been recycled", wow you two could get jobs in film and television.

Well, guess what... there will always be new ideas.
They just don't bother to find them, or find people who can find them, because of attitudes just like that.

That's why every movie you go see is a huge pile of crap.
They don't even try. Why should they?
They have people convinced there is nothing new, and you people just keep watching.

Way to be part of the problem.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 16, 2011 10:53AM)
Oh wait I love this part. Let me just make certain I get this right.

Hollywood does not make original pieces, and I am part of the problem? It is not my job to make new things, it is not my job to do anything but either watch or not watch what they put out and you are telling me I am part of the problem?

What do you suggest I do to not be part of the problem? OUR having an attitude like that does not help or hurt them in one way or the other. If we had jobs in the industry perhaps but all we can do is not watch what is on. Those of you who watch what is offered willingly are "part of the problem" and I can see that point.

But your high horse (at least one end of it) attitude about us being part of the problem is not in proportion to our ability to affect change.

What makes you say "you people just keep watching"? What nonsense. Don't tell me I am part of a problem when I am not. Make presumptions and proclomations about YOURSELF and leave others to figure it out on their own.
Message: Posted by: seadog93 (Dec 16, 2011 11:29AM)
I remember bosom buddies :)
I also like "Some like it Hot." I got to see it one as a double feature with "Double indemnity."

This reminds me of a conversation I had while working at a movie theater about the difference between "Archetypal" and "Stereotypical" or hackneyed.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Dec 16, 2011 11:42AM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-16 11:43, randirain wrote:
"No more original ideas", "everything has been recycled", wow you two could get jobs in film and television.

Well, guess what... there will always be new ideas.
They just don't bother to find them, or find people who can find them, because of attitudes just like that.

That's why every movie you go see is a huge pile of crap.
They don't even try. Why should they?
They have people convinced there is nothing new, and you people just keep watching.

Way to be part of the problem.
[/quote]

I see lots of great movies, even thought the ideas for them aren't perfectly original. Originality isn't a requirement of (or a guarantee for) a good movie. Just like "the trick" doesn't define how effective a piece of magic is; it's a function of the [i]execution[/i] - the performer's persona, consistency, relationship with the audience, etc. West Side Story is in no way diminished by the fact that, "Two young people are in love, but their friends/family will do anything to keep them apart" was done hundreds of years previously, in Romeo and Juliet (and, I'm sure, well before [i]that[/i] in work that Shakespeare was familiar with). If everyone hear made a list of his or her 10 favorite movies, you wouldn't see too many that would be fairly thought of as "original.". I think Shawahank is still IMDB's #1. Was Stephen King really the first guy to come up with "innocent man busts out of prison"?
Message: Posted by: critter (Dec 16, 2011 11:48AM)
Family Guy (or The Simpsons) is a raunchy Flintstones. The Flintstones were a clean Honeymooners. That doesn't bother me.
The only time I get annoyed is when those who make a show or movie claim they want to do something original and then don't.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 16, 2011 12:35PM)
I actually enjoy a new inturpretation of things. True Grit is a fine example. The first movie was not totally in line with the book and John Wayne imagined the charecter of Rooster one way and Jeff Bridges another.

I enjoy seeing different versions of "caper" films such as Sneakers, or Oceans Eleven or The Italian Job.

Cowboys and Indians is always fun for me to watch.

Watching an "original" idea may not be all it is cracked up to be. Watching another re imagine an old idea is however fun in my opinion and I do not consider myself "part of the problem" for thinking so.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Dec 16, 2011 12:41PM)
Yeah, I don't see the problem with reusing a premise. Where they go with the premise, and the cast, will decide whether it is a good show or not. Bosom Buddies is a sitcom from 30 years ago. The world has changed a lot since then. Lots of room for new twists on the old premise.
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Dec 16, 2011 02:53PM)
Thanks Randi. :P Seriously, I just said there's nothing original, not that it was a bad thing. As I pointed out, the applications are different. Characters in books have been going on The Hero's Journey since before Odysseus. That didn't stop Huck Finn from being a great book. Magicians use the same basic sleights with minor modifications for most of their tricks, and all illusions are based on just a handful of basic concepts. Still, people manage to come up with new effects and routines all the time. It's when people get lazy and don't even bother to try a different angle that it starts to become ponderous and boring.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Dec 16, 2011 04:57PM)
Anyone here enjoying the BBC show Mongrels?
Message: Posted by: critter (Dec 16, 2011 05:26PM)
What I miss is the original cast of the brilliant American comedy The Office with the guy from the Daily Show. I am so glad we kept that idea to ourselves. winky-face.
Message: Posted by: Salguod Nairb (Dec 16, 2011 06:12PM)
I don't watch that much current TV. When I do see a show or movie that is predictable or straight from the Hollywood cookie cutter I feel like I was cheated out of my time. I do have a few series I watch on ITunes (Babylon 5, Deadwood, and The Shield) which I have watched about 100 times.
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Dec 16, 2011 08:01PM)
The last time I went to the movies was 1989. Early in the 90's I cancelled the premium channels. Now about all I can stand is the history channel, and the travel channel.
Message: Posted by: randirain (Dec 16, 2011 08:14PM)
Ha! Light the fuse and run away!

Settle down everyone.

It was me just saying "you" "we", me included, are all the part of the problem.
We are getting exactly what we want.

It's because, people put out a show and they don't even try.
Why? Because it doesn't matter if it's good any more.

They'll put this out, people will go onto a forum, and talk about it.
Even though they are talking about how unoriginal it is.
Then you'll always have that person say, "There isn't anything new any more."
Then someone says "There is original stuff we just let them get away with garbage."

Just this time the word "you" was used instead of "we"... maybe on purpose... maybe.

It has come down to where it doesn't matter if it's good or not, just put it out there.
It goes for movies, television, retail stores, even magic.

WE... just let it happen. Because it's really what we want.
IF we didn't, we wouldn't be here trying to communicate with people we really don't know or could care less about.
Message: Posted by: Salguod Nairb (Dec 16, 2011 08:34PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-16 21:01, Al Angello wrote:
The last time I went to the movies was 1989. Early in the 90's I cancelled the premium channels. Now about all I can stand is the history channel, and the travel channel.
[/quote]

I do watch the History channel, but I have noticed a lot less history these days. The logging/trucking/auction/pawnshop shows are entertaining but I have to strain to find the historical connection.
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Dec 16, 2011 09:13PM)
In the immortal words of Bruce Springstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5scpDev1qps
Message: Posted by: critter (Dec 16, 2011 10:18PM)
I was worried that CSI was going to become Dexter, but then Fishburn left so they dodged that one. It's actually getting pretty good again with Danson.
Message: Posted by: Tom Jorgenson (Dec 17, 2011 12:31PM)
The perfect example of uncreative rehash was last night's Charlie Brown 1 hour Show....drug out and paraded, like a cat with a dead rat, EVERY cliche associated with Charlie Brown. Paraded them one after the other, and none funny. No plot that I could see, more of a structure to hang boredom from.

I don't know who the intended audience was...not clever enough for adults, boring for kids. I keep wanting it to be better, it never is.
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Dec 17, 2011 11:00PM)
And while it's a re-hashed, re-used storyline, GLAD has still found time to be incensed. So, after our discussion about the 'imagined' war on Christmas, maybe now we can also discuss the 'imagined' war on trans-genders!
Message: Posted by: landmark (Dec 18, 2011 07:14AM)
What exactly are you referring to? A google of GLAD Charlie Brown didn't turn up anything for me. Could you provide a link--I'd be curious.

As to the "imagined" war on transgendered people, are you saying that you think there is little or no discrimination against them?
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Dec 18, 2011 07:55AM)
Well skipping over the last 2 posts because I am so confused I think what happens is a lot of times people like to be so clever and just don't want to be entertained. That way they can feel superior. That is how they are entertained.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Dec 18, 2011 08:06AM)
Sorry Danny, the previous two posts by Rockwall and me really should have ended up in the war on Christmas thread.
So Rock, or others who want to continue down that line, I'll see you there. :)
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Dec 18, 2011 12:09PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-18 08:14, landmark wrote:
What exactly are you referring to? A google of GLAD Charlie Brown didn't turn up anything for me. Could you provide a link--I'd be curious.

As to the "imagined" war on transgendered people, are you saying that you think there is little or no discrimination against them?
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant to include the link with my post. It was late.
The post is in regards to the new sitcom so I would respectfully suggest it belongs under this topic.


http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/abc-under-fire-cross-dressing-comedy-work-it-33736
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Dec 18, 2011 12:24PM)
As a straight white guy, I'm offended that Archie Bunker was the butt of so many jokes in "All in The Family."
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Dec 18, 2011 01:05PM)
Well if it's appropriate in this day and age to bring back the cross-dressing comedy stereotype, why don't we bring back "Amos and Andy" while we're at it? Imagine, they could even cast Bill O'Reilly, in blackface, as the Kingfish!

But maybe that would be a bad idea. (Or am I just being too PC?)

:eek:
Message: Posted by: landmark (Dec 18, 2011 01:49PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-18 13:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As a straight white guy, I'm offended that Archie Bunker was the butt of so many jokes in "All in The Family."
[/quote]
Yes because we all know that straight white guys are an oppressed minority.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Dec 18, 2011 01:54PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-18 14:49, landmark wrote:
[quote]
On 2011-12-18 13:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
As a straight white guy, I'm offended that Archie Bunker was the butt of so many jokes in "All in The Family."
[/quote]
Yes because we all know that straight white guys are an oppressed minority.
[/quote]

I guess it just depends on your worldview.
Message: Posted by: critter (Dec 18, 2011 03:53PM)
It's nice to know that no matter where I go, or what I do with my time, I can always come back here and everything will still be the same. I find comfort in this.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Dec 18, 2011 03:59PM)
[quote]
On 2011-12-18 16:53, critter wrote:
It's nice to know that no matter where I go, or what I do with my time, I can always come back here and everything will still be the same. I find comfort in this.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhiNpyc2Ks
Message: Posted by: critter (Dec 18, 2011 04:40PM)
Brilliant!