(Close Window)
Topic: Sudden Deck 3 - David Regal
So I was watching this weeks Magic Marketplace at http://www.themagicsession.com and they teased about a new sudden deck by david regal, I was wondering if anyone else knew more about this or when a release date might be?
Have not heard, but I own SD-II and see where some refinements can be made to it. Doesn't surprise me.
Sudden Deck II is David's all time best selling trick. I'm looking forward to see an advancements he's made.
It will be interesting to see the difference between the sudden deck 2 and 3.
If you'd like to see the full Magic Marketplace show from last night with reviews of Empty and Restored Credit along with more details on Sudden Deck 3 have a look at http://youtu.be/9LWnKGg32oo

Happy new year all!
I bought SD 1 and SD 2, not sure if I will buy SD 3 unless it has a big improvements. I'll be watching for more on it.
Any news on this? I was looking at getting sudden deck 2 and would love to know an eta for 3.

Cheers -Jason
I've ordered Sudden Deck 2, doesn't look like 3 is going to be available anytime soon.
I'm not worrying about 3 and going straight to 4.
[quote]
On 2012-04-12 06:21, MickNZ wrote:
I'm not worrying about 3 and going straight to 4.
[/quote]

4 will probably cut itself out from a sheet of A4 card. ;)
Sudden Deck 3 comes out next week, so sign up for david's newsletter for a smoking deal:

email regal@regalmagic.com with the word "SUBSCRIBE."
Check out the new promo video for Sudden Deck 3 & Disposable Deck: http://youtu.be/X7ktCYnHE5s
Wow! I love Sudden Deck 2! Will have to get Sudden Deck 3! One of the rare cases where the sequel looks better than the original! :)
THAT'S how you do a demo AND a killer product.
Looks nice. But it don't look that different than 2 but you get Disposable Deck with it. By the way David flashed ( Opps ) I still love his work.
[quote]
On 2012-05-01 16:54, Zombie Magic wrote:
[/quote]

I guess, but the entire time was spent talking about or demo'ing the product.

We didn't get any shots of David walking in slow-motion or poignantly thinking about magic. And that demo gives me no idea if the person who put it together has a full mastery of all the effects in Final Cut Pro or if he's taken 3 guitar lessons and has a band whose music needs to reach a larger audience. thumbs down.
David,

Thank you for the e-mail. I've placed my order. Looking forward to receiving your product!
Now I'm trying to remember the differences between Sudden Deck 1 and 2.
[quote]
On 2012-05-01 17:28, Magicsquared wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-05-01 16:54, Zombie Magic wrote:
[/quote]

I guess, but the entire time was spent talking about or demo'ing the product.

We didn't get any shots of David walking in slow-motion or poignantly thinking about magic. And that demo gives me no idea if the person who put it together has a full mastery of all the effects in Final Cut Pro or if he's taken 3 guitar lessons and has a band whose music needs to reach a larger audience. thumbs down.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHHA!!
[quote]
On 2012-05-01 19:31, gdw wrote:
Now I'm trying to remember the differences between Sudden Deck 1 and 2.
[/quote]

I agree... I have SD2, never had SD1, but David made a big deal of the fact that SD3 has the best of 1 and 2. What's that mean?

Jim
From what I can tell is that is SD3 you can show the front and back now after the printing process. A very nice moment indeed.
JM
[quote]
On 2012-05-01 20:41, Justin N. Miller wrote:
From what I can tell is that is SD3 you can show the front and back now after the printing process. A very nice moment indeed.
JM
[/quote]

That's what I saw. Looks a little more clean. That's the only flaw I had with S2, had to be somewhat restrictive when handling the box after it was printed. Is it going to be worth $30.00... I would say if you like S2 then it will be worth it.

RNK
Yes, the big difference with this one is that you can show both sides. You couldn't do that with 2.
Hi
I think this looks great! As far as the Disposable Deck goes I don't know if I'd crumble it up in full view. Maybe put it in one of those small white bags that drug stores put your prescriptions in and then crumble it up.

I'm not trying to take anything away from " Sudden Deck 3" because this is a winner. I'm just giving my opinion on the extra effect "Disposable Deck" and what I'd prefer to do with it.

Ralph
The disposable deck is fun to do at the end of any card set. You simply do a "deck switch". The deck has been in play and then you crumble it into a ball. It gets great reactions. Or you can do what Ralph suggested. Then it's like the Nielsen vanishing bottle. Either way, they love it.
I missed that. That is a lot better.
For those who have used this, is it really practical for walk around? It seems like you'd have to worry about people in tables on the sides spotting this and also a little to big to carry in an inside pocket I would think. If I could use it in walk around, I'd probably be in.
[quote]
On 2012-05-02 15:15, rockwall wrote:
For those who have used this, is it really practical for walk around? It seems like you'd have to worry about people in tables on the sides spotting this and also a little to big to carry in an inside pocket I would think. If I could use it in walk around, I'd probably be in.
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about other tables as they don't know what they'd be looking at. Also from what I can tell it would not be that obvious from side from a distance. As for size, in the condition David brings it out of his pocket in, it is not much larger than normal deck of cards, and obviously its final condition is pretty much the exact size is a deck.
[quote]

I wouldn't worry too much about other tables as they don't know what they'd be looking at. Also from what I can tell it would not be that obvious from side from a distance. As for size, in the condition David brings it out of his pocket in, it is not much larger than normal deck of cards, and obviously its final condition is pretty much the exact size is a deck.
[/quote]

I think he means the massive envelope
it would get wrinkled in a jacket pocket
[quote]
On 2012-05-02 17:13, Suux88 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I think he means the massive envelope
it would get wrinkled in a jacket pocket
[/quote]

Good point on the envelope, although I imagine it's not necessary.
The envelope 'sells' the fact that it's flat. I was hoping there was someone who has tried using it in walk around. Cameron? Anyone?
I loved SD2 and misplaced the gimmick - I think I will be picking this up. I love the fact that you can show both sides with this, and now that I'm working on Shawn Farquhar's deck switch, the disposable deck is a nice bonus!
I have used the many times in stand up shows. Never used it walk around. Not that it wouldn't work for walk around, I just never used it in that environment.
Though my Sudden Deck 2 is still doing fine, and I still have a decent amount of my original Disposable Deck order, I went ahead and ordered the combo anyway. Can't have too many Disposables! I use them a lot with David's Hotel 52 routine, but with a little flash paper kicker. :bg: How can you not love this stuff?

Jim
I'm a huge fan of Sudden Deck 1. It plays in the biggest of rooms. Sudden Deck 2 is great close-up, but a little harder to convey in large rooms. Sudden Deck 3 looks like a great melding of the two. I gotta say, SD2 is perfect for the Nudist or Mental Photography Deck (that is the blank deck that becomes printed). You show a blank card box, print it, then produce the deck. But the deck is blank, and you proceed to print it too.

Bill Malone has a very commercial version on his first set of DVDs but I'm going to direct you to a sleeper, which I'm sure no one knows about, and that's a shame because it is really great. It's none other than David Regal's version in his book, Close-Up & Personal, called "Photo Finish". The whole idea is about making a card vanish, but instead the deck vanishes. It's an unusual handling and presentation, but really fun to perform. I used to do it behind the bar, but for some reason stopped doing it. I'm going to get SD3 and perhaps start it up again . . .
Hi All -

I just saw this thread. Sudden Deck 3 will be in general release at the end of next week. Yes, it combines the best elements of the original Sudden Deck (the big empty display) with the magical printing of Sudden Deck 2. The neat thing is, you can do any combination of any of those elements!

I [i]always[/i] keep the prop in my inner jacket pocket and remove it from the pocket before going into the effect. I thought it might be fun to use an envelope on the video, but I don't do it that way in my work (and yes - I flashed!). As I think you can see, my demos are very simple - my son comes over and we put something on video, period. I just want to show people the product, give them an idea of what it is they would be buying, and then they can buy it or not, depending on [i]if they can use it or not[/i].

I love Sudden Deck 3, and like the other versions, it works itself. In fact, you sort of anti-do-work to operate the prop... you let go of it. I mean it, you let go and it sort of does its thing. Many people told me I should combine the two versions of the trick into a third that does everything and they were right.

And Disposable Deck? Magicians have come up with so many great applications for the prop (I include a bunch of applications on the DVD, including a simple card routine I put together to give the purchaser an idea of ways it can be used with existing card effects - and you'll get to see me flash again!). The best thing, though, is a full performance of the trick "Hotel 52," and a complete explanation. If all you did with Disposable Deck was "Hotel 52," you'd still get a lot of use out of it. I was so happy I almost cried when I saw Todd Robbins open his parlour act with a great application of the prop. And it was a purchaser - not me - who, many years ago, wondered if Disposable Deck can be used as a deck [i]shell[/i]. The answer is yes, yes, yes. So to me, Disposable Deck is a utility item.

What can I say? I love magic. I'll shut up now.
Demo looks great, will have to pick this one up !
I just HAD to give a big kudos to David. I ordered the combo deal from him exactly one week ago, and received it just yesterday. Shipped in 6 days, not too impressive, until you take into account the fact the I live in HOLLAND! Most packages take up to two weeks, if not more, to reach me from the States.

Thanks again to David and the US Postal Service.
Ordered mine today- this should be good.
Okay guys, I did something to answer the basic questions in the form of a teaser executed in a cheesy manner:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kix15vEPZI]The Birth of Sudden Deck[/url]
LOL! Only you David!
Anyone got it yet?
Hopefully it will come in the mail today. I will post as soon as I get it and check it out.

RNK
Nice work on the Lucasfilm-style logo, Dave. It's spot on. Did you build that from scratch?
The box combo includes a DVD with some nice touches on both the disposable deck and SD3. If you've never seen David live, you don't really appreciate how unbelievably skilled he is at the deck switch. I have to believe he does at least 2 or 3 per show. So what's nice is a little bonus explanation on the DVD of deck switches. These are applicable to the disposable deck, of course, but also for just about anytime you want to exchange a deck for another. He goes over several and most are very easy to do and all are done standing.
Got this last week and I just have to say- Get it! This is so so easy to do but yet looks awesome! David- #3 is GREAT! I can't recommend this enough. I just love doing it in front of the mirror and fooling myself! LOL! Also, As Doug Brewer states, with the combo deal, David gives some great tips on Deck Switching. These are really two great releases or Re-Releases??? However you want to think of it- this is just Superb!!

RNK

PS- this passed the wife test with Flying colors!! Those of you who are married know what that means!!!
Thanks guys, I appreciate your remarks - I'm happy you are getting good use out of the trick. I really do think this is the best version of the prop.
I didn't get the first two versions. They looked good, but.....I didn't get excited about it. Saw this new version's demo and got excited.

THIS IS LIKE REAL MAGIC!

If it cost $100, I'd have gotten it.
This does look like a real winner. I'm in!
The WPR show gave it low marks. I don't agree with them on this one.
[quote]
On 2012-06-27 19:04, Zombie Magic wrote:
The WPR show gave it low marks. I don't agree with them on this one.
[/quote]

Totally agree. I finally had a chance to use this and all I can say is that the spectators were absolutely floored! This is just awesome. Craig and David must have had a bad night sleep before reviewing this. Of coarse nobctody's perfect, eH?

RNK
How does David keep coming up with all this stuff!

Always looking for new and creative ways to solve a problem.

Too bad the government doesn't do this!
I just got this. It is really cool. I don't care too much about the disposable deck part but the Sudden Deck 3 is very good. I don't own any of the older versions but I think the main difference in this one is you can show the box to be empty as well. I am going to pair this with Fade by Meir Yedid. Have a blank case, put the design on it, fold it up, produce a deck, do the Fade trick. In the end, you just have blank cards.
Very old thread, but I always am playing around with sudden deck and was always trying to get the part when the box prints to get it to print real fast, and sometimes had a little issue with the printed part coming down slower than usual, and was worried it didn’t look “magical” enough. But I found a way to handle the box so it changes in the blink of an eye.. hold the box with your thumb in front (covering the sticker) and 4 fingers behind and let go of the small white flap, then, to print the box, fling your hand like you are throwing a softball pitch (underhand) and let go as soon as you start swinging underhand. You can do this real quick and it looks like the printing just “appears”. Hope it helps!
Also make sure when you flick it underhanded the bottom flap almost comes up and hits your hand- it just prints real fast
Correction,,,sorry everybody, disregard the 2 posts above. Hold with thumb in BACK and rest of fingers in FRONT...(like normal). Give it a forward “whip” by flicking your hand forward quickly in a whipping motion (like when you snap the towel forward to whip somebody). Instead of dropping your hand down flick it forward so the bottom flap comes up and hits your hand. Sorry about the confusion, the first one I described was for something else.
I just got this effect in the mail today from Vanishing, Inc. I have a problem, one that I saw mentioned in one of the reviews for the effect on the Penguin site: the gimmick is much too tight to accommodate a full deck of 52 cards. I can shove 50 cards of a standard Bicycle deck in there, but 52 cards will not slide out of the slot.

Has anybody else encountered this?

(I will say that Penguin has offered to send me a replacement Sudden Deck--even though I didn't buy it directly from them. So props to them!)
I didn’t have this problem with 3.0. That could be an issue that can be fixed by readjusting the bottom piece that holds the bottom of the deck, the ends might be too close together.
I don't think so. The first thing I did was reset the end-flap, the thing you put together when you set it up. That didn't help.

The issue seems to be the way it is scored. When it naturally opens up, the gimmick is not a "thick" enough box to hold 52 cards. The guy I was chatting with at Penguin confirms that it's a very tight fit for a lot of different decks.
Its available at the reel magic marketplace
Get your weekend magic fix! I'm live right now with David Regal talking about Sudden Deck 3 https://www.facebook.com/MurphysMagicSupplies/videos/2084855881808087
Sudden Deck 3.0 works like a charm and is an excellent opener for a parlor show. I also didn't have any issues fitting a full deck inside. The only downside to this is that you are somewhat limited as to where you can perform it. There are some obvious angle issues to contend with (sides and behind). Still, this is a great item to have in your arsenal since the printing of the card box and appearance of the cards is very magical. I highly recommend this.
I also like this a lot but mine is also way too tight with a full deck inside. However, I believe I may be able to stretch it out enough if I leave a full deck inside it for a "while". But even with that the front flap doesn't fit over the deck very well.
Odd that some seem to be tighter than others. I think I will probably exchange it because I really would like this to work fine with ANY deck and not have to remove some cards.
I just got my replacement copy from Penguin Magic in the mail. I assembled it carefully and then tried to put a full deck into the gimmick.

A full deck simply will not fit. The copies of Sudden Deck 3 that Penguin Magic is currently sending out seem to be simply cut and scored too small to accommodate 52 cards of a normal Bicycle deck. 50 cards will work okay, 51 are too tight to pull out smoothly, 52 will just not go into the holder at all.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2019, Dave Shepherd wrote:
I just got my replacement copy from Penguin Magic in the mail. I assembled it carefully and then tried to put a full deck into the gimmick.

A full deck simply will not fit. The copies of Sudden Deck 3 that Penguin Magic is currently sending out seem to be simply cut and scored too small to accommodate 52 cards of a normal Bicycle deck. 50 cards will work okay, 51 are too tight to pull out smoothly, 52 will just not go into the holder at all. [/quote]

While the first run in 2019 was small, the current gimmick will fit a deck without a problem.
[quote]On Nov 18, 2019, Josh Burch wrote:
While the first run in 2019 was small, the current gimmick will fit a deck without a problem. [/quote]

Do you know this from first-hand experience? When I spoke with the guys at Penguin Magic back in August before they shipped me a replacement, they also assured me that the replacement should work with a full deck.

It did not, and it was immediately apparent that more than one copy (i.e, at least both the ones I received) were shipped in a size appropriate for 49-50 Bicycle cards, but not for a full deck.
Penguin told me that 3.0 ships in a week

here is my honest (and nice) review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMqaFyewTo
I'm thinking Sudden Deck 4.5 might be worth the wait...
Isn't technically 3 and 3.0 the SAME THING? (mathematically speaking?) this should have been 3.1 or 4
No one seems to have this in stock
[quote]On May 11, 2020, johndevacmaker wrote:
No one seems to have this in stock [/quote]

From my understanding this newest batch of this will only be on Penguin's website and will be back available soon.
Ok thanks mayhem