(Close Window)
Topic: Stage names, are they passé?
Corinda, Koran, Banachek, Fogal, Kreskin, Annemann... brilliant names and (of course) brilliant mentalists. What do you think about mentalists using stage names? Does it help/hurt today's mentalist? I personally love stage names as they seem to stick in my mind better than real names (besides Richard Osterlind and Bob Cassidy)

What do you gentleman think about stage names, do you have one? Would you recommend adopting one?

Look forward to the discussion
I think stage names can be very effective. We must remember that even though we are artists and performers, we DO run a business. The services we offer needs branding. What better way to make a mentalist's work stick with somebody than by one's title?

Of course, there is something to be said about the aforementioned stage names- they are tasteful... I believe that these names work today because the old vices are unused, (i.e. any name starting with "The Great" and ending with the suffix "ini.")

If one approaches a stage name as if he could live in it, it will not be passe.

That being said- a mentalist's WORK is far more telling than any name.

Cheers,
Cooper
I loved the big names of the past like these you mentioned. I believe audiences want to be entertained along side of being mystified, so the practice of the one name mystery man may seem passe. The people I remember the easiest have catchy names - easy to remember, etc.

For any type of public 'performance' (music/magic) I use my first and middle name, rather than last. It's got more of a flair to it.

My 2c.
I performed with Magic Amit, Dave Vegas and Mozique and one of the punters said:
Him: "Phill Smith? That's not very exciting. Why don't you have a stage name like the others?"

Me: "That is my stage name. You should hear how boring my real name is."

Him: "Really? Wow."

Oh dear. (In his defence he may have been a little bit worse for wear)

Phill
A lot of stage names are realy ridiculous, not only the ones using the suffix "ini".
I don't like it, if the name sounds, that you will see "the greatest of all times". But what you see for real is a (not very good) amateur.
Especially in Germany you also have the situation, that German names are combined with English terms like "Magic Manfred"...

For me there are some good reasons to use a stage name: If you real name is hard to remember, hard to pronounce etc. a stage name will help.
I believe, that is what happened with Banachek, Bood de Hoop. I personally prefer using just my name and surname. I think it's our work that makes our stage name exciting, not the other way round. 'Bob Cassidy' or 'Richard Osterlind' wouldn't sound that great if not for their great contribution to mentalism, performances etc. They build their own brand through their hard work. Whether one chooses to use some unusual stage work, I think it's just a personal preference.
Of course that they are passé. Completely out of modernism.

Sincerely
The Great Amirini
I'm all for stage names. As long as it is not names like the one Amira signed with.
I am trying my best to get known as "Theo" rather than my birth name "Thomas", simply because I dislike Thomas and there are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead
Stage names are stupid, especially those that end with "ini". I mean, really, get a life.
I just use Cirrus. It's the one given to me during a wicca-ritual and I stick with it.
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 08:00, Voodini wrote:
Stage names are stupid, especially those that end with "ini". I mean, really, get a life.
[/quote]
I agree with Voodini!

That is like some of the posters coming on Café, and using their Screen name!
Instead of growing a 'Pair', and using their real names!

Best,
Godzilla
For me the choice was based on the Internet. Searching by my birth name brings up a geneticist and a molecular biologist, neither are me. My name is part of my branding for finding me on the internet.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
I would NOT perform under my real name. The modern internet has removed all sense of personal privacy. When people Google me as an entertainer, I don't particularly want them finding the book reviews I have written on Amazon.com or my personal address and how much I've paid for my home (yes, this IS the information that comes up when you Google me).

Likewise, as a mentalist, I don't want people finding posts I've left on theMagicCafe.com.

One of the criteria for selecting a name today is the ability to register an acceptable domain name, and matching Twitter ID, and Youtube ID. These names are a fundamental part of creating an online identity which is critical for any marketing program.

I would highly suggest keeping your personal identity and performing identity separate -- especially if you are just starting out and have the choice to do so.

What constitutes a good name is another topic. I would suggest, however, making something easy to remember and easy to spell. Beyond that, it's up to you.
It depends what you call a stage name. There are of course the silly ones: The Great ******ini then the one word pretentious ones: Marconi, Shrubsole.

But I don't use my real last name as it's just not catchy and everyone pronounces it wrongly anyway. And a lot can be said for keeping your private life private and showbiz separate. (Also stops nutters looking you up) If someone looks under my stage name they get to the correct places for that and conversely if I'm doing some other business under my real name, they don't get all this mentalism stuff coming up.

So I use my real first name and then a chosen (quite standard) surname.
All good information and advice here, but I'd point out to the original poster that Annemann and Fogel weren't stage names.
As an African-American mentalist, my stage name is of Kenyan origin. It is "Wangila" which means "one born on a journey"
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 07:57, Thomas Cooper wrote:
I am trying my best to get known as "Theo" rather than my birth name "Thomas", simply because I dislike Thomas and there are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead
[/quote]

Well, Mr Moist seems to be catching on quite well here, young Thomas. :lol:
This reminds me of the old story about the guy named Larry Lipschitz who went to court to have it changed. The judge asked him what he'd like for his new name. He replied, "Joe Lipschitz."
I often just use my middle name and last name when I'm doing pure entertainment... and my first and last name for when I do educational/motivational presentations... I'm thinking of creating the myth of a twin brother.

Dr. Spektor is not my real name or performance name - just an avatar name as I always liked the Gold Key comics character!
The Chinese believe a person has several faces.

My stage name (not my CaféPress avatar name) is such a face.
My real name actually DOES happen to be Paul Pacific.

A perfect stage name if I do say so myself!! :)
Annemann and Fogel did not live in a world where the internet is the primary source of marketing and information.

I deal with this issue professionally for clients on a weekly basis. This is my area of expertise and my current advice is this:

If you value your personal privacy (and you should), use a stage name.

If you are serious about building a career as a performer, your name is your brand and it should be selected with care. Your ability to use your selected name on the internet is very important. Use Google, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter when researching potential names.

Congratulations to Gerard Senehi, who's web site http://www.experimentalist.com/ appears on the first page of my Google search results for the term, "mentalist". Gentlemen, he is your competition.

I suggest you think about using a name that is somewhat unusual, easy to read, easy to pronounce, easy to remember, should not be a swear word or have some other horrible meaning in a common foreign language, and which has an acceptable version of it available as a domain name. If not, then register a domain name like Mr. Senehi did that is all these things.

If you are already established, please create a Youtube Channel/Google Account, Facebook account and page, and Twitter account immediately. You may not realize how important these identities are right now, but believe me, if you take 10 minutes to register these identities now you will not regret it.
I've been told that my name says magic more than mentalism, but cest la vie - it works for me. Cool… I rhymed. :) Of course, I'm still livin' in the Amazing Kreskin era. I use my Magical Michael name because it has assonance and it's what my lovely wife offered when I asked her what she thought. She's a writer too, so assonance means a lot in our itsy, bitsy family (don't read anything into that). :)

I've always believed in stage names. Some are just lucky enough to be born with one (Paul Pacific), others have to be creative (Banachek). Mine simply works well and makes a great intro: "Hi. I [i][b]am[/i][/b] the Amazing Magical Michael. I'm Michael because that's what my Mom named me. I'm Magical because that's what I do. And I'm Amazing because it gives me a better spot in the Yellow Pages." *badumpbump*
AttnPIs thank you for your explanation.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Thinks about changing his name to Aaron Aardvark from AA1 Mentalists Inc.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jan 9, 2012 02:33PM)
There are no famous Thomas' anywhere.

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

What about Thomas the Tank Engine? :)
Not to forget Doubting Thomas. (Which is actually a good one for you, Theo!) :)
I think if your real name is Malcolm then a stage name is a must.
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 15:00, AttnPls wrote:
Annemann and Fogel did not live in a world where the internet is the primary source of marketing and information.
[/quote]

That's very true, but it has nothing to do with the intent of my comment, which was simply to point out that "Annemann" and "Fogel" weren't stage names.

That said, I disagree with your blanket statement that everyone who values their privacy should adopt a stage name. I am reminded of the remark that Houdini once made later in life that if he had to do it all over again he would have stayed with his real name. He wasn't someone who was particularly concerned with anonymity - and neither are the vast majority of those who go into public professions.

My suggestion is that those who value privacy and anonymity over all else might be better off in a profession other than show business. Those in the business who use stage names generally do so because they don't like the sound of their real names, not because they are trying to hide their true identities.

Besides, it is not difficult to retain a large degree of privacy and security without taking on a pseudonym.

Good thoughts,

Bob
I use my stage name to hide my real name. Years ago someone told me Anthony is not a showy name, so I switched to Tony for business purposes. Tony works, because it is close enough to my own name that I answer to it - which is quite important!

By calling myself Tony Baloney for kids shows, and Tony Black for adult shows, I can create an identity that I have no embarassment about pushing. I would not push my own name.

It also has the side effect that I don't need to tell people what I do for a living. I use my real name for most purposes, and most people will not know how I make my living, unless I chose to tell them.

It helps that I am not famous! That would screw up the grand plan. So I am all in favour of stage names - just so long as they don't start with The Great...
Just to be clear, I believe there are many valid reasons for stage names. But if show business is your profession, a desire for privacy is generally not the foremost consideration. In fact, I'd say it's pretty low on this list.

Now if you have a day job and are just a part-time performer, that could well be a different story.
There are days I would love to have a day job.
Seriously, a number of years ago I was short-listed for a poetry award. All I had to do was read one of my poems in public, and I was in the final five. I gave up the chance of the award rather than do that.

Under my own name I would stay at home. Under a stage name I find it easy to throw on a persona and face the public. Some performers are naturally gregarious and outgoing. But some of us aren't. That's why stage names are great.
Pharmaceutical companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on naming a drug.
AFLAC Insureance company realizing thier name was a hinderance to business spent millions in a PR campaign that changed thier company.
Isuzu had the same problem and and also spent millions, didn't help them.
The Jury is still out on a company called ING, but it doesn't look good.
Naming your company has huge implications in today's googling world.
When Boston Chicken changed thier name to Boston Market, they had a huge drop in sales.
Research psychologists have found that a person's name has a direct impact to people's perception of trust.

Sooo, I don't know, what do you think, are stage names obsolete?

Of course some stage names are childish and unimaginative, others are perfect. Banacheck in his book explains why he chose his stage name. A good study in the Business of Entertainment.
My name IS Derek Heron but I have, on occasion, performed as Kinesis. I have also considered using Derek Anthony (Anthony is my middle name) as my name when I do corporate speaking. What d'you think?
Tony Derek would also sound good, I think.
I like the name Derek Heron... but I generally have an aversion to using two first names. Besides, you already have your domain name which is great.

Posted: Jan 9, 2012 5:49pm
Tony Derek has a nice ring to it.
I often use Anthony Jacquin. I think it's a great name and I honestly think I suit it better than he does. My act is also better than his as well, which, in a way, helps him (Ant) somewhat?
The very best news however is how my tax bill went racing down last year!
I like derren most people remember it and it makes me look good
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 18:53, bobser wrote:
I often use Anthony Jacquin. I think it's a great name and I honestly think I suit it better than he does. My act is also better than his as well, which, in a way, helps him (Ant) somewhat?
The very best news however is how my tax bill went racing down last year!
[/quote]

I like this, very good, very funny.

I also like Derek Anthony.

I lso think Doubting Thomas is much better than Theo.
Brilliant suggestions here, and very valid points on both sides of the fence. This will help a lot of people, like myself, starting out in Mentalism. If anyone's interested in using a foreign word as a name, try this translator as it might give you some good ideas http://translate.reference.com/translate
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 15:00, AttnPls wrote:

I deal with this issue professionally for clients on a weekly basis. This is my area of expertise and my current advice is this:

If you value your personal privacy (and you should), use a stage name.

If you are serious about building a career as a performer, your name is your brand and it should be selected with care. Your ability to use your selected name on the internet is very important. Use Google, Youtube, Facebook and Twitter when researching potential names.

Congratulations to Gerard Senehi, who's web site http://www.experimentalist.com/ appears on the first page of my Google search results for the term, "mentalist". Gentlemen, he is your competition.

I suggest you think about using a name that is somewhat unusual, easy to read, easy to pronounce, easy to remember, should not be a swear word or have some other horrible meaning in a common foreign language, and which has an acceptable version of it available as a domain name. If not, then register a domain name like Mr. Senehi did that is all these things.

If you are already established, please create a Youtube Channel/Google Account, Facebook account and page, and Twitter account immediately. You may not realize how important these identities are right now, but believe me, if you take 10 minutes to register these identities now you will not regret it.
[/quote]
Absolutely, I work in marketing by day and constantly deal with people who don't see value in it. Marketing today is deeply tied in with a FB, Twitter and YT. If you don't have an online presence then people can't find you. Nice website too AttnPls
Just an idea for picking a name - geographical places are good i.e., names of capital cities.

granterg
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 21:20, granterg wrote:
Just an idea for picking a name - geographical places are good i.e., names of capital cities.

granterg
[/quote]

I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.
[quote]On 2012-01-09 21:23, mastermindreader wrote: I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.[/quote]That sounds vaguely familiar. Is that back when you wore a turban and did a Q&A similar to Karnac the Magnificent?
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 07:57, Thomas Cooper wrote:

Thomas Edison
Thomas Becket
Thomas Cramner
Thomas Jefferson
Thomas J Watson
Thomas Hobbes

...all dead
[/quote]

What about Tommy Cooper now that has a ring to it.
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 15:54, mastermindreader wrote:

...My suggestion is that those who value privacy and anonymity over all else might be better off in a profession other than show business. Those in the business who use stage names generally do so because they don't like the sound of their real names, not because they are trying to hide their true identities.

Besides, it is not difficult to retain a large degree of privacy and security without taking on a pseudonym.

Good thoughts,

Bob
[/quote]

To echo Bob's comment: Should I even mention Lady Gaga?

She has possibly the BIGGEST stage name in show business, and people are STILL going to google search her real name.

If your art is good, people will respect what you do. Your privacy on the other hand- perhaps public accountant is a better profession.

hmm.... I wonder how "The Magnificent Account Dracula" would sound in the office....
Stage name. Nom de plume.

Sometimes 'being someone else' allows you to be the person you need to be, somewhat like mask work.

Also, with a stage name, you can have more than one.
I quite like the idea of a stage name and if I relied exclusively on performing for my income I would probably switch up to one, not least because Smith is a bit of a humdrum name here in the UK.

When I perform I wear a persona, and everything I do 'loads' the character - putting on the shiny suit, the feel of my boots, the extra rings and jewellery I usually don't wear, contacts instead of glasses, sorting my hair out, even tying my tie differently... every step is a step into the character. Its like the magic version of the scene in the action movie where the hero loads all his guns and straps his holsters, bandaleros and armour on before the explosive grand finale.

Introducing myself with a different name would be a nice final step psychologically.

Just my thoughts of course, I would be curious to hear from anyone who *does* perform under a stage name how it feels to use it themselves. Does it help you switch into performance mode?

Phill

Posted: Jan 10, 2012 7:57am
Incidentally, one of my first paid close-up gigs was standing in for a pal: I felt very awkward approaching tables, so I just pretended I was him, and it was easy.
(I managed not to do the Kiwi accent though)

That's pretty much still what I do, but now I am pretending to be some parallel universe version of myself. That's why I think a different name would help, it just formalises what I am already thinking.

Phill
It's funny you should say that Phill. I come from a mime/acting background and didn't think about creating a character specifically for mentalist work until you mentioned what you do. I think the clothes, hair, jewellery idea is a great way to built a character to help enhance the overall performance. Bear in mind, as with all character work there needs to be an element of truth that relates to you so that your character is believable.
I, TC Tahoe, think stage names are not passé.
Considering most actors and performance artists that I look up were born under another name, I don't think it is passé (in fact in some cases it is required).
Besides, with my name, what choice do I have???

Tony
Ha. The craziness of the internet - http://www.quizopolis.com/stage-name/name-generator/6394/
I suspect Vermin Supreme (For President, 2012) got his moniker from this generator :)
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 09:42, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Considering most actors and performance artists that I look up were born under another name, I don't think it is passé (in fact in some cases it is required).

Tony
[/quote]

Quite true that many were born with different names. But, in most cases, the ones you are referring to had legal names changes and were known by their new names in all aspects of their lives, not for the purpose of preserving privacy, but rather for perceived commercial appeal. Thus, these names aren't "stage names," which are really nothing more than pseudonyms that are used for performance purposes only.

There is a big difference.

Good thoughts,

Bob
But Bob, that is what a stage name is. A name chosen because a given name may not fit or be problematic in some way. There is no stipulation that it is only used on screen, stage, or the covers of books. These names become the public identities of these people, not just pseudonyms. On this rare occasion, I disagree with you.

Tony
Let's see..I was Jorgini at one time (I was 9) and I think it was 'The Great Jorgini'. Later, I've used Restin Fallers, J. Edwin Thomas (pretentious), Leland Ramsey, Aaron Dalu (with 'brother' Erikk, doing the Blade Box) and Prof. Phondelheinie Gootch doing a Med Show. And even Picasso Von Rembrandt. None of these apply to Mentalism, however. I do like the ability to be whomever you want to be depending on the act that you happen to be doing.

I have found that stage names allowed me to be myself privately, and anyone else publicly. I tried being one person for both for a period of time (doing psychic work) but found it burdensome. It is easier for me to get into character if that character is someone else.

So, one vote for stage names from me.
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 12:06, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
But Bob, that is what a stage name is. A name chosen because a given name may not fit or be problematic in some way. There is no stipulation that it is only used on screen, stage, or the covers of books. These names become the public identities of these people, not just pseudonyms. On this rare occasion, I disagree with you.

Tony
[/quote]

Once they had their names legally changed and/or became known by them in their everyday lives apart from the stage, they were no longer "stage names." My point was that these names were certainly not taken for the purpose of preserving privacy.

Good thoughts,

Bob
We have a local juggler who legally changed his name, as Bob C. notes, for professional reasons.

His legal name is now Truly Remarkable Loon.
Here's an interesting legal name change:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/beezow-doo-doo-zopittybop_n_1190410.html
When I read that story, I remember thinking, who would have ever expected a guy with the name Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop to have pot?
What has the world come to?
I wonder if he took that name to protect his privacy?
Only if he was a member of the Café.
Nah, he's just following in the footsteps of T.R. Loon.

Same town!
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 21:23, mastermindreader wrote:
I tried that once, but Baghdad Bob didn't work out too well.
[/quote]

I feel that. I tried marketing myself as The Amazing Foreskin and my Bar Mitzvah bookings plummeted...
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 13:08, mastermindreader wrote:
I wonder if he took that name to protect his privacy?
[/quote]

I think he changed his name after seeing Doo-Doo the clown and having a little bit to much marijuana^^
I used 'Long Duck Dong' for awhile !
I know!...it was not as impressive as you would think!
They started calling me Duck,for short!
Then one night a sassy little thing called me Ducker...so you know the rest of the story!
:)
[quote]
On 2012-01-09 11:26, mastermindreader wrote:
This reminds me of the old story about the guy named Larry Lipschitz who went to court to have it changed. The judge asked him what he'd like for his new name. He replied, "Joe Lipschitz."
[/quote]

lol
I went from Renzo to Mr.Renzo, but I think it had a lot to do with hitting 50, lol
Much like the names of bands and singers , the purpose of stage names is commercial: to provide a simple, easy to remember hook so you will more likely to be booked later. Hopefully you choose something that isn't hokey (however if someone had mentioned the stage name "Lady Ga Ga", 50 Cent, Usher, etc.... 20 years ago, they would have been laughed off the planet). In the former examples, the performers justified the use of the stage names. Sometimes we get so bound up in the magic and mentalism circle, we forget to look at how successful people in other art forms got where they are. Some stage names are silly. Sometimes the silly name works, sometimes it doesn't.
I went to that stage name generator Magicus mentioned and typed in "Bob Cassidy".

As a stage name it came back with "Wade Turner".

"Wade Turner" sounds like a gas station attendant who's not allowed to live within 500 feet of a school or playground.

You made the right decision Bob.
For some reason ever since I took up the stage name Dr. Crow, no one will pay me until after I perform bank nite.
My stage name is Greg Otto. My real name is The Amazing Charles.
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 21:54, Jerskin wrote:
My stage name is Greg Otto. My real name is The Amazing Charles.
[/quote]

May I call you "The?"
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 18:45, Rocketeer wrote:
I went to that stage name generator Magicus mentioned and typed in "Bob Cassidy".

As a stage name it came back with "Wade Turner".

"Wade Turner" sounds like a gas station attendant who's not allowed to live within 500 feet of a school or playground.

You made the right decision Bob.
[/quote]

I went to that same site and typed in "Sid Helkule" and it returned the name "Luke Shield". Rubbish stage name if you ask me.
The computer came up with Money Rhyme for me. I'll stick to Tony Black.
Interesting, Tony. I just went there and got the same name, "Money Rhyme". No joke. Wonder what their algorithm is based on?
Based on a few tests I think that "Money Rhyme" is a default name that comes up when the first or last name entered isn't in their data base. (I typed in "Boris Carney" and it, too, got the name "Money Rhyme."

I tried my own name again and it still comes up as Wade Turner. My girlfriend's still comes up as Nickie Dark (which she likes). So the name that comes up doesn't appear to be random.
[quote]
I tried my own name again and it still comes up as Wade Turner. My girlfriend's still comes up as Nickie Dark (which she likes). So the name that comes up doesn't appear to be random.
[/quote]

Well, ok^^ that's the same name I get. Does this make me a girl?
For a guy I imagine that would be spelled "Nicky." Maybe they're subtly suggesting that you would do well performing in drag. :eek:

There's some kind of an algorithm here that gives you one of a given number of "stage names" that they've created. It's certainly a very finite list of possibilities.
Stage names can sometimes be a necessity. For instance in the UK if you with to join the actors and variety performers' union, Equity, you can cannot do so under the name of a current member. (Unless they give their permission) In such circumstances a stage name is an obvious solution to this.

Also a stage name can have advantages. If your actual name is one that is repeatedly either spelt incorrectly, mispronounced or just for whatever reason, not easily remembered, is unlikely to stand you in good stead throughout your career.

Finally, the rather marvellous, late stand up, from the UK, Linda Smith had a great opening line: "Good evening... my name is Linda Smith... of course just my stage name... my real name is actually Wanda Starburst."
[quote]
On 2012-01-11 14:21, mastermindreader wrote:
For a guy I imagine that would be spelled "Nicky." Maybe they're subtly suggesting that you would do well performing in drag. :eek:
[/quote]

That opens a new crop of opportunities ^^
I think Decomposed fits me and mentalism. With 2012,high end corporations should like it also. Great sounding name for after dinner entertainment. Great name for those in audience who want to lose weight I might add.
An excerpt from a post in my introduction thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=432730&forum=42&10

I use the handle "XerxX" because it's a rather well-known name, actually nation-wide, in Sweden.
I've been a crusiverbalist (retired in Jan) for several popular magazines for many years, and that was the name I used. And according to mails and letters to those magazines, I was quite a good one also.

My business is named that way, also with the capital "X" at the end thus giving me a registred trademark/logotype of a sort.
My (former business-)website is named xerxx.se and registred to my company.

[b]So I saw no reason[/b] why I should not use that name when I now plan to take up magic...
Many people recognise it in a positive way - why not take advantage of that?
I even created a special logotype for this new, magic, XerxX.

Best regards,
XerxX
Ventman

"Hopefully you choose something that isn't hokey (however if someone had mentioned the stage name "Lady Ga Ga", 50 Cent, Usher, etc.... 20 years ago, they would have been laughed off the planet)."

Usher's real name is Usher Terry Raymond IV.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usher_(entertainer)
I still like Silly Billy.

:kewl:
Hmm, cruciverbalist, you say? I prefer Sudoku, myself. :) Alright, I’ll admit I had to look it up! But I like it.

One of the things I sort of informally promise in my shows is that you will learn at least four new words you’ve never heard before, and at least one of them you will use in a conversation tomorrow. Sounds like you’ve got a great handle on something fun to do with your audience.

I could also envision one person solving a simple puzzle, the answers to which match the notes written secretly by another audience member. You could call it “Crossed Purposes” by XerxX. I’d buy it. :)

(Belated) Welcome to the Café!
Hello DWRackley,

Thanks for your welcome!
And I admit that I use that word just for fun. I learnt it from a lady who checked my "cruciverbalistic" work. She learned it when she wrote the Swedish subtitles for "All Abbout Sam" w/ Sandra Bullock as a cruciverbalist.

I like your "Crossed Purposes" idea! :D Really. I'll PM you...

And Yes: I'm sorry for the misspelling (cruSiverbalist) in the above post. Too bad for such a one - but it's a foreign language. I hope you excuse me.

Best regards,
XerxX
Maybe I should change my name to John Smith.
Anybody here remember CB radios? It was the wave of the future in the 1970s. My handle was “Mister Houdini”. When I started doing magic shows, I tried to use that. It didn’t fly. Then I tried “Who-Donny”. Ok, I was 16, give me a break.
“The Magic of Donovan” actually had a pretty good run, but most people figured out that wasn’t my real name.

This is the first time I’ve had the opportunity AND the motivation to hit it full guns. Donatelli has been good for almost a year, AND is getting some small amount of recognition. We’ll what happens.

I genuinely do not like my name. It’s not hard to pronounce, but most people make it harder than it is. In addition, I always hated it when the school bullies wanted to call me up; “Hey R******” right before a tussle can leave permanent marks, you know?

Hey, I’ve got a great idea. You write stage names onto two different bottles, cover them with tubes, then say “Passe Passe”.

http://www.magicgeek.com/passe-passe-bottles-1687.html
This would be a good name for one of you mentalist...(taken from a old show)! :)

" MAX HEADROOM " It was taken from Maximum Headroom!
[quote]
On 2012-01-13 03:04, Godzilla wrote:
This would be a good name for one of you mentalist...(taken from a old show)! :)

[/quote]

Who would have guessed?

:eek:
[quote]
On 2012-01-13 03:13, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-13 03:04, Godzilla wrote:

[/quote]

Who would have guessed?

A PSYCHIC ! :)

:eek:
[/quote]
Somebody asked me why I was encouraging people to grab a Youtube ID and Channel name now. The reason is that video is becoming an increasingly important part of promoting yourself on the internet. At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week, Youtube said that it logged a trillion hits in 2011 and predicted that 90% of ALL web traffic will be video. The importance of web video will only grow as products like Google TV become a part of daily life and people surf the web with their televisions.

Since you will likely be creating promotional videos in the near future (if you're not already doing it) it is a good idea to take a couple of minutes to establish your brand name on Youtube now before it becomes more difficult.

Here's a link to read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/youtube-the-future-of-entertainment-is-on-the-web/2012/01/12/gIQADpdBuP_story.html
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 10:14, XerxX wrote:
An excerpt from a post in my introduction thread:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=432730&forum=42&10

I use the handle "XerxX" because it's a rather well-known name, actually nation-wide, in Sweden.

Best regards,
XerxX
[/quote]

Forgive my ignorance, but exactly how is XerxX pronounced? The best I can come up with is Egg-zerks-Ex. Egg-zer-ex-ex?
Hi Tom,

Yes I absolutely forgive your ignorance!
LOL!

I pronounce it like "kserks-eks" (the "e"s like in "check").
It's based on Xerxes but I added the last X to make a name containing lots of "X".
The sign(?) "X" can be a "kryss" in Swedish (a "cross" in English?).
And a "kryss" is also another word for a crossword puzzle (Swedish "korsord").

So there's a lot of "kryss" in both my name and production.
During those days...

Now it's in my "entertainment-logo"...

Best regards,
XerxX
Thanks! I love the glyph, by the way. It's very well done.