(Close Window)
Topic: Ignition by Magicsmith
This is a nice looking effect of a key thru bill, the idea that the key is always with you along with your everyday keys,makes for a great anytime effect, my feeling is, it is very pricey for what it is., the demo link is below.

http://www.magicsmith.com/ignition.html
This is the kind of effect I love. Quick, big impact, easy to do and squeaky clean.
Super clever.
Looks very good. But it's really just the pen through dollar trick... but with a key. Right? Or am I missing something? I like both.
Nice adaptation. Looks fun.
I liked the demo.
It looks better than the other version that came last year or the year before.
Motown, it does. That other one also was reported to be fragile. Chris Smith puts out great products ( and stands behind them ).
Chris Smith is excellent. But this looks a little hinky, in that the key doesn't really look like an entirely authentic key. I guess you could say it's from a new car or something. Am I wrong?
I like it! As long as it is as sturdy as it appears to be in the video.

Jim
Looks like the key has to look like that for two reasons. So I'll be interested to see it live in two weeks when Chris is at magi fest. If it looks that good live, I'll be picking one up
I got to see this live and it is top notch. The sugar packet version is GREAT! Wished they had shown that on the demo.
This looks very nice. No key switches and can be examined immediately- that's a great feature, might just justify the price. Can't wait to read some reviews!

RNK
I agree with everyone , the effect look great, easy to do and it's always with you, but I still feel $60.00 is a lot for this, or am I just being cheap, I know you can't put a price on a good effect, and that may be the case here,
I like this effect, it looks very magical.
Looks like a winning concept, sure.
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 10:21, dave wrote:
I agree with everyone , the effect look great, easy to do and it's always with you, but I still feel $60.00 is a lot for this, or am I just being cheap, I know you can't put a price on a good effect, and that may be the case here,
[/quote]

It might be, but I think I agree with you Dave. I am guessing that because the key is immediately examinable after the effect and if it cannot be figured out- this may be worth it. But boy- Key thru Bill- $60.00. hmmm.
This looks very good... look forward to hearing some reviews
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 01:45, tvbobby wrote:
Chris Smith is excellent. But this looks a little hinky, in that the key doesn't really look like an entirely authentic key. I guess you could say it's from a new car or something. Am I wrong?
[/quote]I think it looks like an automobile key you'd currently find.
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 11:24, RNK wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

It might be, but I think I agree with you Dave. I am guessing that because the key is immediately examinable after the effect and if it cannot be figured out- this may be worth it. But boy- Key thru Bill- $60.00. hmmm.
[/quote]
Figured out? The gimmick is added and taken away under natural moves. Key does not appear gimmick and I doubt most would not figure it out. Quality construction? I hope :)
How many in the US have a car key (for a car under 5 years old) that doesn't have the "lock / unlock" feature built into the key?

I love Magicsmith stuff, but wonder if this one is a little behind the times. Having said that, if this gets good reviews from those who purchase it, I will be on board!

Sammy
I just ordered it. Looks good to me. A bit high, but I've paid more for things that didn't pan out.

Jim
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago, and got to see Chris shooting/demoing this... I really like the sugar packet version; lots of subtle touches that REALLY sell the illusion.

Awesome, can't wait to get mine.
My thoughts echo what a lot of you are saying. I agree with ad copy that it seems like a great trick to do when someone wants to "see something". On other hand, 60 bucks seems a little steep for a just "see something" one and done trick. On third hand, if it is well made and will hold up to a few seconds of close scrutiny it would probably be worth the 60 bucks if you planned on practicing it enough to make it all smooth and natural. decisions decsions.....
Yes, the switch at the end is very deceptive.
Nat

[quote]
On 2012-01-10 21:34, magicmind wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-10 11:24, RNK wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Figured out? The gimmick is added and taken away under natural moves. Key does not appear gimmick and I doubt most would not figure it out. Quality construction? I hope :)
[/quote]
Actually there isn't really a "switch".
I still occasionally use my 'Perfect Pen' by John Cornelius which works fine on an adult audience, however I have noticed a tendency recently that some younger, magic savvy spectators tip the method because they think they know how it works and some actually own a similar, usually inferior gimmick.

Actually none of my specs so far has seen the Cornelius version of the gimmick so I can still get away with handing out the pen, as long as they don't play with it for too long.

I wonder if doing this with the 'Ignition' key may prove less likely to be exposed because if I'm right about how this is done then they could play with the key all they like.

Tempted to get this and do a combo of 'Ignition' then 'Perfect Pen' whilst they're still inspecting the key.
Looks a great deal better than The Key by Andrew Mayne. I think the design is foolproof and the handling looks pretty easy to perfect.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 12:36, Tophie wrote:
Looks a great deal better than The Key by Andrew Mayne. I think the design is foolproof and the handling looks pretty easy to perfect.
[/quote]

Agree- the key looks really nice. May have to get this one.

RNK
[quote]
On 2012-01-11 00:12, Sammy J. wrote:
How many in the US have a car key (for a car under 5 years old) that doesn't have the "lock / unlock" feature built into the key?

I love Magicsmith stuff, but wonder if this one is a little behind the times. Having said that, if this gets good reviews from those who purchase it, I will be on board!

Sammy
[/quote]Sammy, I have a co-worker who has a Honda Fit and it doesn't have an unlock button built into the key. Some economy cars because of the price don't have that feature. In general I would say most do.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 15:14, motown wrote:
[quote]

Sammy
[/quote]Sammy, I have a co-worker who has a Honda Fit and it doesn't have an unlock button built into the key. Some economy cars because of the price don't have that feature. In general I would say most do.
[/quote]

I would say that most people still don't have that feature on their keys. But I could see where if you had a car less than five years old, that would be the case. But I'm guessing that's not the majority.

RNK
[quote]

Sammy
[/quote]

Me.............I have plenty of keys on my person that this will work for. I just hope you can have it on a key chain and then take it off and do the trick. If so I will be getting this.
Just ordered this, looks brilliant!

Gary Jones.
This does look good.

Gary, I will wait till you have one then just take it.

Lee.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 16:37, Lee Smith wrote:
This does look good.

Gary, I will wait till you have one then just take it.

Lee.
[/quote]

I can see you using this Lee, your type of magic!

Gaz.
So many are concerned about the key ? it's just a key to those you are performing for, nothing more, there are other keys that are on the same key chain and no one will question those as well.
The key looks like most car keys here in the UK, with so many different types of key out there these days I see no problems whatsoever.

Gary Jones.
I have had many rental cars with the large fob without any buttons for locks.

Does not look suspicious at all to me.
Can this be put on a key chain?
I'm sure it can.
Purchased and received Ignition,those concerned about quality of the gimmick need not worry. Very well made and will last. Small inconsistency with key which will probably go unnoticed by most specs but then again I like perfection. Key can be attached to your normal keys and no one will suspect anything. This is a great walk around trick easy to do. The sugar packet handling is the way to go, really sales the idea that you actually have put a hole through the packet. I know that $60.00 seems a little steep for this type of trick but if its something that you will be able to do at the drop of a hat and its always with you, then its worth it.
Just got mine today very clever & well made it went right on my keychain for tonight ! I like the creased bill on top of the fist performance best . Yes Sugar packet is very cool !
Tophatter
Just received mine. Very nice gimmick and effect! IMO well worth the price. Sturdy, easy as he!! to use, virtually an instant reset, and can be handed out to the specs afterward (if you are prone to do such things).

Nice instant visual magic that is in your pocket at all times. Sweet!

Jim
Chris is such a nice guy and Im looking forward to seeing this performed by him next time I meet him.
Looks like a great trick!
I just got my notice from Chris, mine has shipped . But , I have been emailing chris a bit and he is very cool, helpful and knowledgeable with great service,
Looking forward to seeing this in action and most likely picking one up from Chris at the Magifest next week.
Nowyoucme to answere your question - YES you put it on your keychain your supplied with a nice clip for easy removal of the key . This is what sells the key as being a regular key Chris explains this in the dvd . The key is very well made I performed it last night a few times . The spectators wanna see the key right away & you give it to them right after you remove it from the bill!
Tophatter
Agreed; the key goes on your keychain with a nice quality carabiner clip. You carry it there fully ready to go with no further setup. Great carry-around effect. Ready to go at a moment's notice. I really like this one! :)

Jim
Why would anyone take the time to remove the key from their key chain if all they want to do is use the key to poke a hole in a bill? Can this be performed without removing the key from the clip on the key chain? I understand the method, but for those of you who have it, maybe you could play around with it and let me know.
Yes, this works when left on your keychain. Just might be a little crowded - depending on how many keys are on your keychain! Removing the key of course makes for easier handling, especially handing it out for examination. The keychain makes no difference at all in how this works; just makes your hands less cluttered.

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-01-15 16:36, tophatter wrote:
Nowyoucme to answere your question - YES you put it on your keychain your supplied with a nice clip for easy removal of the key . This is what sells the key as being a regular key Chris explains this in the dvd . The key is very well made I performed it last night a few times . The spectators wanna see the key right away & you give it to them right after you remove it from the bill!
Tophatter
[/quote]

Thank you for your help.
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 09:15, nowyoucme wrote:

Thank you for your help.
[/quote]

It was written right on the ad copy:

"Ignition is always on you. When not in use, it travels inconspicuously on your key chain. But, when you're ready to perform, there's no fumbling - just detach it from its quick release carabiner (included) and you're set to perform. "
This looks good, but I'll wait til UK stockists have it
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 13:04, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-18 09:15, nowyoucme wrote:

Thank you for your help.
[/quote]

It was written right on the ad copy:

"Ignition is always on you. When not in use, it travels inconspicuously on your key chain. But, when you're ready to perform, there's no fumbling - just detach it from its quick release carabiner (included) and you're set to perform. "
[/quote]

Sorry I missed that one. Glad you pointed it out for me. Feel better?? Thanks but tophatter already answered my question.
Don't be a sourpuss. I'm just saying read the ad copy before asking questions.
I was only asking the ones who had this. Sometimes the ad saying one thing but can be miss leading.
This is pretty much exactlly as advertised, you put the key on your key chain and you are ready, it is quite easy to do, and reactions are great, I prefer the borrowed bill, a large one is better, to the sugar pack, but it's just person preference . I was in a store and someone had a check, I asked if I could show them some magic , removed my keys and punctured the check, everyone freaked,
Yes this is pricey, and worth it,
The quality is superb , I would go so far as to say unbreakable,
The DVD is not overdone, not long and boring, after the live performance, it's right to the point, no fluff, yet every detail is covered with over the shoulder shots,
There is a key thru clothes, ala knife thru coat, very good.
In the end, you will always be ready to put a key thru anything.
The only issue I have with this is that the gimmick that comes with the key was noticed missing from my key chain yesterday. I finally found it on my card seat. I'm afraid to lose it for good one day. I hadn't even done anything with my keys other than use my car and then put them in my pocket. Is there a way to definitely not lose it while still keeping it on your key chain?
I have been carrying it on my key chain , feeling that may be an issue, it has not been yrt, however, I may just revert to having it in my pocket, not"on the key chain" if I know I will not be using it for a while.
Dang you Dave! Now I want one. Anyone selling???
I think it looks AWESOME!

I will Definately be getting this!!!

=Frank=
The thing I like about ignition as apposed to most other penetration effects is you show the key cleanly and fully intact right before the plunge. Something you cant do with the pen versions.
I think I'm going to make myself an ungimmicked Trabucco Holdout to steal and ditch my gimmick. It's not practical for the worker to keep the gimmick on the key when not performing because it makes it difficult to steal and ditch the gimmick. With a Trabucco-style holdout, I can start clean and end clean, all without going to my pocket. Here's a suggestion: I suggest not using the tearing out of the key as shown on the dvd. Yes, you can immediately hand out the key, but with the pen through bill, nobody's ever cared about the pen before wanting to check out the bill. I suggest having them hold onto one of the corners of the bill and then pulling the key along the bill towards the furthest opposite corner. This will create a perfect tearing sound and it will make it look absolutely realistic. They're left holding onto the bill and it is intact. You've had plenty of time to clean up the gimmick and hand out the key if necessary.
Patrick, that is a good idea, but I think you are over thinking the issue, for lay people, you have plenty of time to casually stand at rest with your hand in your pocket, I have a wallet with a magnet in it and I have tried to temporarily ditch it there, and it works, but I found that it is not necessary, no one notices anything, after all they just examined the key and it’s their bill.
I have two options:

1-Go to my pocket
2-Not go to my pocket

I prefer not going to my pocket. It's no extra work. In fact, it's less work. I also prefer not having it in my pocket because then I can use that pocket for other things and not worry about fumbling. I see nothing but positives for this idea.
Yep....i'm clicking the BUY button now.....I can see using this.....
I would have bought this, mostly because I trust Chris Smith's products. But I'm so happy with the Cornelius Pen Thru Anything, that I'm passing. But it does look great.

Clarke
I think it's better than the pen simply because you see the entire key go in to the bill, with the pen , you have to cover that special part, not a huge diference especially to lay people . Both are great effects.
[quote]
On 2012-01-24 18:27, dave wrote:
Patrick, that is a good idea, but I think you are over thinking the issue, for lay people, you have plenty of time to casually stand at rest with your hand in your pocket, I have a wallet with a magnet in it and I have tried to temporarily ditch it there, and it works, but I found that it is not necessary, no one notices anything, after all they just examined the key and it’s their bill.
[/quote]

I agree Dave- you have plenty of time to do the ditch. Unless you have the hold out set-up for other effects, there is no need for it.

RNK
I realize that I have plenty of time to do the ditch, that's how I've been doing it. I don't see why you wouldn't want to use the best possible method. The Trabucco holdout makes everything in this routine easier and a bit more deceptive for anyone who would be looking extra carefully. Since your hand drops to your side after you tear out the key anyway, why not ditch it then? That's what the holdout will allow you to do. That way, you clean up the effect quicker and there is less chance of detection. It also resets it instantly without you having to hold out the gimmick and then reattach it to the key, with a chance of fumbling. Like I said, it's less work. Am I the only one who sees that?
I leave the gimmick attached to the key until I'm ready to perform.

After the effect I hand them the key and the bill to examine and I leave my hands casually by my sides while holding the gimmick. I'm not worried about anyone looking at my hands, and in an offbeat I may ditch the gimmick in my pocket. Sometimes I just leave it in my hand the whole time and just take key back from them and pocket it at that point.

I can see how using a holdout could be useful for some, but for me a holdout wouldn't really offer any advantage. It comes down to personal preference and performing style. I like that there is no setup for this effect and using a holdout negates that.
Having a holdout does not negate that. Put the holdout in your performance jacket and you're good to go all night without any setup. Also, holding out the gimmick has a risk factor, however small. For those of you who understand what an ungimmicked Trabucco Holdout would consist of, you should understand that it is a no-brainer to be using one unless you don't perform with a jacket. I cannot comprehend how anyone could have an argument against using the holdout, other than what they're currently doing works for them, which is not really the optimum mindset to have. Regardless, I thought I'd share and that's what I'll be doing.
Patrick,

I'm having a little trouble understanding an "ungimmicked" Trabucco holdout.

I have a Trabucco Holdout. Is there something different with an "ungimmicked" one?

If this is touchy, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Sammy
[quote]
On 2012-01-25 19:12, PatrickGregoire wrote:
... I cannot comprehend how anyone could have an argument against using the holdout, other than what they're currently doing works for them, which is not really the optimum mindset to have. ...
[/quote]

If what someone is doing works for them, that's not "the proper mindset"? Really?! :D

Jim
I didn't say it wasn't proper, I said it wasn't optimum. If there is a better solution, they should at least consider it and not just dismiss it because they already have something that works well enough.
Getting out of control>>> taking a step back, Patrick found something that works well for him and just thought he would share it with us, I think that was very cool of him, if it is something that works for you then great use it, even comment on it in a positive way, but don't trash it, after all this is what we all do for eachother.
Got this today from Tannens.
Great pocket effect, very well made and most deceptive.
I prefer it to all the penetrating pens and that other key before it.
That MagicSmith fellow is a very clever guy.
Chris is a great guy. Talked to him tonight at MagiFest and picked one of these up. Great effect. Something different that you can always have with you. Great thinking!
The sugar packet ideas are top notch.
If you feel dollar bill penetrations are a bit over played then Ignition just might be for you.
The sugar packet at the restaurant scenario is what you will be enjoying.
Restaurant environmental magicians will want this and they will certainly kill with it.
Even those spectators who have seen you poke a pen thru a bill in the past will perceive this as new and different.

This prop handles comfortably...I am so pleased that it is not flimsy.
For Patrick: If you want to ditch, a variety of items that can be carried in your back pocket -- maybe even your bunch of keys -- could serve your purpose without having to install something extra in your jacket.

This is a beautifully made prop with a clear, direct, simple effect and convincing visuals at every stage. And as several have mentioned, Chris Smith is a nice guy and puts out great stuff.

Cheers,
Jerry
So I'm here at Magi-Fest and got to watch Chris perform this effect over and over and over again. This effect has PERFECT economy of motion. There is no wasted movement. Every action makes sense, and you present a truly impossible moment to your spectator. To me, this was the best trick of the convention. No wonder he sold out!!!!! Bravo Chris!!!!!!
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jan 29, 2012 12:33AM)
This is one of the best new effects I've seen in the market place for a very long time. As Eric says, the moves are perfect. The prop is extremely well made and very clever. Anyone who has performed pen thru bill knows it gets strong reactions. Ignition takes a classic effect to a whole new level. Nice job Chris, this one's a winner!
[quote]
On 2012-01-28 22:12, Eric Jones wrote:
So I'm here at Magi-Fest and got to watch Chris perform this effect over and over and over again. This effect has PERFECT economy of motion. There is no wasted movement. Every action makes sense, and you present a truly impossible moment to your spectator. To me, this was the best trick of the convention. No wonder he sold out!!!!! Bravo Chris!!!!!!
[/quote]

I was there too, and literally hung out at Magic Smith's table for an hour. Every effect demo-ed was quality. Great company. Unfortunately my wallet is a lot lighter.
So many people these days know how the pen thru bill works. I think it is great that a new twist on the effect has been put out. Congrats.
[quote]
On 2012-01-28 20:55, jerdunn wrote:
For Patrick: If you want to ditch, a variety of items that can be carried in your back pocket -- maybe even your bunch of keys -- could serve your purpose without having to install something extra in your jacket.
[/quote]

I don't really understand what you were trying to say, but there is nothing to install into my jacket. You make it sound so complicated. All I need to do is use fabric tape to stick it to my jacket, my t-shirt, hoody, whatever I'm wearing. If you know the Trabucco Holdout, you know that it makes stealing the gimmick more practical and quick without any odd movements. Much better than having to reach into my back pocket.
Received mine and very happy with this. It is exactly what I expected to receive.

The gimmick is well constructed and should give many years of trouble free performances. I haven't had time to watch the DVD yet but I've performed with this anyway - its pretty obvious what you need to do from the demos. I will watch the DVD later to pick up any nuances I may have missed.

I think this is a pretty good alternative to pen through bill. I agree that nowadays a lot of teenagers especially are aware of how pen through works and are more than pleased to be able to tell your audience about it as well.
Hi all does any one know if uk retailers will have this . cheers
Just received mine AND....... It is awesome. I love it!!!! Well done. This is a keeper for sure.

Mike :)
Just one question and please feel free to answer this via PM. I know this has been discussed but is anyone leaving this key on their everyday keychain? If so, any issues? I would love to have this on there at all times so I'm always ready to go. I just have the obvious worry. Plus my wife sometimes will use my keys.

Thanks to all those who own this and sharing your thoughts!

By the way, I performed this a crazy amount of time over the day and a half and EVERY one asked I how switched the dollar bill out. That is a first. When I do the pen penetration they almost always just focus on the pen.

This is great and to be honest the price is totally fine IMO. Best money spent this year. :)
Mike, thanks for getting back on topic, yes it is a concern, and I have no idea what to do,
Anytime Dave. The above argument is just ridiculous. I think The Department of Children Services should be called.

By the way, the above topic should go I to the gamblers section. What a way to gamble losing your kids and going to jail.
Automated spam attack, Mike. Ignore it.

Regarding keeping Ignition on your regular keychain/keyring, I do and it has worked out well for me. If I normally loaned my keys to a family member - or anyone, for that matter - then I would not keep Ignition on it. Instead I would keep Ignition on a separate keyring that could easily and quickly be added/removed to and from my regular keyring. I'd just have to be very careful about remembering to remove it before lending my keys to anyone!

Thanks!

Jim
Finally got to watch the DVD tonight and like this even more now. The set up taught with the gimmick attached to the key has definite advantages in ensuring that everything comes out in the right orientation but yes - I too wouldn't keep this on my everyday key ring, not least because the gimmick might end up somewhere you didn't expect.
I wouldn't keep the gimmick on the keyring for everyday use, but the key itself would stay on the keyring. I'm keeping the gimmick in my wallet, and can easily set up in just a few seconds. I'd be comfortable with keeping the gimmick in 'ready' position for hours, even a day or two, but wouldn't keep it out at all times.
This is absolutely brilliant, the gimmick is very well made and works like a dream. I will do a full review when I have a little more time, I will also detail my handling which for me makes this completely self-contained for walk-about.

If you're on the fence about buying this, just get it, I promise you won't regret it, I carry this always!

Gary Jones.
Thanks to Gary's recommendation, I ordered this. Just got it today, and really like it.

I really look forward to Gary's review and handling.

Sammy
I eliminated the clip it came with and use a split, real name, Binder ring, this completely opens easily, I also have several other keys on the ring for my “Key Accessory” effect, this works well for me.You can also use your pro flight ring effect.

Binder rings below,
http://www.mrlock.com/mfg/lucky_line/binder_rings.html?id=2pD6HRtY
Here is another look at it,
Buy it .. This is a worker.
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 17:07, Sammy J. wrote:
Thanks to Gary's recommendation, I ordered this. Just got it today, and really like it.

Sammy
[/quote]

Hi Sammy, I've just sent you a PM with some additional ideas with this.

I now introduce the key as a locker key, it saves having to explain what type of car it's for, not that this is a problem, it's just no one would question a locker key.

I also now use this as a moving hole effect.....Borrow a bill, hand out the key, as the spectator is looking at the key put a small tear in the bill towards the edge, do the penetration but keep your finger and thumb over the supposed puncture site, put key away, move your finger and thumb slowly towards the edge of the bill but pause for a few seconds to show no hole, apparently continue to slide the hole to the edge of the bill and show the pre torn tear.

I cannot stress how strong this looks to a lay person, if you just fold the bill lengthwise and put a little tear in the bill it cannot be seen until you point it out, it also looks like the type of puncture a key would make.

Another little touch I've not tried yet but I use with Pen Through Bill, is a little piece of triangular shaped paper attached to the gimmick, it will look like the paper is punctured when viewed up close, this idea is I believe from John Cornelius.

I hope the above makes sense, please feel free to PM me for more details.

Gary Jones.
Gary, I think the rip gaff idea for pen thru bill is a Jim Krenz idea.

Thanks for sharing your professional touches with everyone!

Clarke
[quote]
On 2012-02-18 08:46, Zombie Magic wrote:

Clarke
[/quote]

Thanks Clarke mate, Jim Krenz is one clever guy!

Gary.
I was sat in a bar with Gary Jones when he came up with the idea of using Geoff Latta's Nowhere Palm for Ignition, I filmed Gary's handling on my mobile and I'm sure Gary will not mind me sharing this here on the Café. Here is the link http://youtu.be/NDDNYcdPBVQ

Mark Bendell
The Unknown
[quote]
On 2012-02-19 15:40, enigmagik32 wrote:
I was sat in a bar with Gary Jones when he came up with the idea of using Geoff Latta's Nowhere Palm for Ignition, I filmed Gary's handling on my mobile and I'm sure Gary will not mind me sharing this here on the Café. Here is the link http://youtu.be/NDDNYcdPBVQ

Mark Bendell
The Unknown
[/quote]

WOW! I'm already a huge fan of Gary Jones, but that fooled me and I know what it is.

Clarke
[quote]

Mark Bendell
The Unknown
[/quote]

Haha, by the time this was filmed Mark we'd had quite a few beers and a couple bottles of wine!!

The Nowhere Palm works a treat with Ignition, I just reach into my pocket and get into position as I bring the key out, at the finish I go straight back into Nowhere Palm, this allows me to be very open, as I put the key away I'm reset ;-)

Gary Jones.
[quote]
On 2012-02-19 15:58, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]

Mark Bendell
The Unknown
[/quote]

WOW! I'm already a huge fan of Gary Jones, but that fooled me and I know what it is.

Clarke
[/quote]

Well thank you Clarke, you should see how good this looks when I'm sober lol!

Kind regards,

Gary.
So who will share info on the Nowhere Palm, or where one may find more info,for the rest of us.
[quote]
On 2012-02-19 16:45, dave wrote:
So who will share info on the Nowhere Palm, or where one may find more info,for the rest of us.
[/quote]

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure where I learned this move but I believe Eric Jones uses this on one of his DVDs, I will have a search for you.

Mark is right, the move is by Geoff Latta.

Gary.
Thanks Gary, I have an idea of what it may be, but I am wrong more than right with these things.
[quote]
On 2012-02-19 16:58, dave wrote:
Thanks Gary, I have an idea of what it may be, but I am wrong more than right with these things.
[/quote]

PMd you mate.

Gary.
[quote]
On 2012-02-18 09:03, gjmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-02-18 08:46, Zombie Magic wrote:

Clarke
[/quote]

Thanks Clarke mate, Jim Krenz is one clever guy!

Gary.
[/quote]

I too have applied the torn piece of bill to Ignition, and it works great!
I believe that the [i]Nowhere Palm[/i], Latta's move, was first published by Gary Kurtz.
[quote]
On 2012-02-18 08:20, gjmagic wrote:
[quote]

I now introduce the key as a locker key, it saves having to explain what type of car it's for, not that this is a problem, it's just no one would question a locker key.

I also now use this as a moving hole effect.....Borrow a bill, hand out the key, as the spectator is looking at the key put a small tear in the bill towards the edge, do the penetration but keep your finger and thumb over the supposed puncture site, put key away, move your finger and thumb slowly towards the edge of the bill but pause for a few seconds to show no hole, apparently continue to slide the hole to the edge of the bill and show the pre torn tear.

I cannot stress how strong this looks to a lay person, if you just fold the bill lengthwise and put a little tear in the bill it cannot be seen until you point it out, it also looks like the type of puncture a key would make.

Another little touch I've not tried yet but I use with Pen Through Bill, is a little piece of triangular shaped paper attached to the gimmick, it will look like the paper is punctured when viewed up close, this idea is I believe from John Cornelius.

I hope the above makes sense, please feel free to PM me for more details.

Gary Jones.
[/quote]
Love this idea, thanks Gary! I deliberately make the 'hole' through the Queens head, saying that the note is now defaced and worthless ( sorry) then I decide to 'move the hole', so the note is still usable. :)
I bought this immediately thinking what a great idea for pen through bill. Exceptionally well made and works as advertised. However...I have more smart people then I would like ask me where the extra piece is. Easy enough to clean up but maybe for an intelligent audience "the only possible answer" rule is coming into effect. The "move" is pretty easy so I doubt there is a problem with my technical performance. As a hobbyist my "set" often consists of one trick for a bunch of friends or coworkers and this trick may not be as suitable in my hands for a "hey have a look at this" presentation. Just one guys experience.
Xcath1, I'm just guessing here, but if you have people asking where's the extra piece , then you may be flashing the part that should not be... Well flashed, perhaps others can chime in,

Dave
Or perhaps the penetration doesn't look quite right because you're not using the rip gaff. In my experience (with pen through bill), it makes a big difference.
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 17:07, Sammy J. wrote:

Sammy
[/quote]

Bring this please to our next meeting Sammy - really want to see your presentation :)
Really like this. Nice modification/application.
Appreciate the tips, have been to lazey to make the rip gaff but sounds like a good idea.
[quote]
On 2012-02-19 18:08, Larry Davidson wrote:
I believe that the [i]Nowhere Palm[/i], Latta's move, was first published by Gary Kurtz.
[/quote]

Not true. Gary Kurtz published this without permission but mistakenly called it the Curl Palm, which uses a different finger. Geoff Latta is the creator and showed it to Gary Kurtz at the first New York Magic Symposium in 1982. Kurtz published it in "Unexplainable Acts", much to the dismay of Latta. This all will most likely be covered in Steven Minch's book on Geoff Latta later this year (hopefully!)

Jim
$60? Pretty steep for a 'Key', does the key start anything?
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 00:10, sketchomagic wrote:
$60? Pretty steep for a 'Key', does the key start anything?
[/quote]

Yes, amazements...
I have seen such positive reviews
for this.i guess its time to purchase one.
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 01:00, bowers wrote:
I have seen such positive reviews
for this.i guess its time to purchase one.
[/quote]

This one will not disappoint. It really deserves all the positive reviews.
Hmmm... Seems I'm on my own, but I thought the method was really quite transparent. Maybe it's just me thinking too much like a magician. But I can't see how people will be fooled.

If you have it, tell me I'm wrong.
People always have ideas how things are done, it's only natural but the key and bill being examinable cancels out any method a layperson might come up with.

To a magician most methods out there are transparent, especially with a little thought but to a layperson this effect kills.

Best,
Sean
[quote]
On 2012-02-23 03:23, Roslyn wrote:
Hmmm... Seems I'm on my own, but I thought the method was really quite transparent. Maybe it's just me thinking too much like a magician. But I can't see how people will be fooled.

If you have it, tell me I'm wrong.
[/quote]

I would never tell you that you are wrong, I could suggest you're thinking like a magician, but then again I wouldn't say that was wrong either, both have their positives and both certainly keeps us on our toes and make us think!

What I will say is this, all the clips and trailers just focus on the penetration and restoration (including my own) so you're only seeing a small part of a larger picture, and let's be honest there are only really two ways this could work, the first is by real magic, the second is the actual method.

What I'm trying to say is, I've been out there doing this and have routined it in such a way to dismiss all backtracking, I've also routined this so it's now a moving hole effect, the key is only used at the beginning to start the routine proper.

So no you are not wrong, it's just that this is such a strong effect on the minds of a spectator using everyday items the last thing they would think is the method used, but this isn't enough; the magician should eliminate any doubt in the mind of the spectator and this can only be achieved by not over-proving and to be as natural as possible, with the right handling and part of a larger routine this is a 'killer'.

I would go as far and say that Ignition is also a stand alone miracle, imagine going to pay for something and doing this, I guarantee this will make someone's day!!

I really love this and have performed it over 200 times since receiving this......as for the moving hole routine I mentioned earlier, I draw a circle around the secret tear (target) I miss the circle when doing the penetration (I also point out the hole where the key went through although there's no hole actually there, this is sheer bluff but they believe me as they saw the key puncture the bill with their own eyes, I just don't ponder on the fact!) and then I move the tear to the target. How can they backtrack, they saw the "hole" where the key penetrated, they then have their own bill with a tear now at the end of the bill inside the circle you drew before I did the penetration, and there wasn't a tear when I drew the circle (because I didn't point this out) and so on!

Just to be clear on the tear bit, if you make a small tear in a bill it cannot be seen until you point it out, also, if you apparently penetrate the bill and be bold enough to show them the apparent "hole" they will "see" a hole, if you're confident and bold it will fly past!

Gary Jones.
Genius!!
Brilliant Gary ! As allways you think that little bit more than the rest of us, and make a very good effect an excellent effect. Also you are going to make me spend more money on magic lol.
Loved your performances on 'UNKNOWN' great stuff.ps. When are you releasing your thoght of card effect, I asked you about it last year ?

Mike Donoghue
I think Gary's idea for making the routine a more complex is a good one and takes a little heat off the key.
What a great idea Gary!! Really makes me want to pick this up now!
Is this available in the UK?

I'd like to buy it (then get in touch with gary to discuss his handling of it!)
Gary, you have taken a very good penetration effect and turned it into something entirely different.

Your routine kind of reminds me of Danny Garcia's Fraud (impossible movement of an item on the bill), but it's much more practical and much easier to execute.

Guys like me love the Café for the very fact that we are exposed to great thinkers like you.

Thanks so much!

Sammy
Thank you for all the kind comments! Did this a dozen times tonight using the moving hole routine, it really does get great reactions, and they really do inspect their own bill!!

Gary Jones.
Can you buy this in the uk ? cheers all
I've been using Gary's great presentation idea with my business card. I start with the card already prepared with a hole at one end (hidden in plain view) and draw the circle with a sharpie at the other end. I then use the end of the key to make a dent in the middle of the circle (supposedly to help facilitate making the hole) before plunging it through the card. I then hand the key to the spec to free up my hands and slowly move the hole to the other end of the card. It's a nice way to hand out your card so I thought I'd share it here. Thanks Gary for the wonderful idea :)

all the best
Sean
[quote]
On 2012-03-01 10:01, Sean Giles wrote:
I've been using Gary's great presentation idea with my business card. I start with the card already prepared with a hole at one end (hidden in plain view) and draw the circle with a sharpie at the other end. I then use the end of the key to make a dent in the middle of the circle (supposedly to help facilitate making the hole) before plunging it through the card. I then hand the key to the spec to free up my hands and slowly move the hole to the other end of the card. It's a nice way to hand out your card so I thought I'd share it here. Thanks Gary for the wonderful idea :)

all the best
Sean
[/quote]

Agree- Penetration/moving hole/marketing plot all wrapped up in one. Very Nice Sean!!!

RNK
This arrived today , the gimmick is very well made, the DVD covers all handling and it is a real worker.

for me this is the best of this type of effect as the key can be examined before and after the penetration , that sold it for me !

carl.
Just ordered this - can't wait to get it! The method seems very clever, and I'm excited to try some of these ideas out!
Got this last night- I agree with the other posts here. This is very nice- I have already perfromed it a few times today for people I know and don't know. Gets great reactions- this is a joy to perform. Not difficult. Though, after using mine a few times, my gimmick is not as sturdy as it first was- I am a little disappointed about that. I am therefore a little afraid to keep this on my keychain in fear of losing the gimmick. But all in all- I really like the effect and handling.

RNK
Mine is coming today, yay!
Really? in what sense (if you feel you can elaborate)

I've been considering this, but I'd expect something pretty robust for the price

[quote]
On 2012-03-07 15:29, RNK wrote:
Got this last night- I agree with the other posts here. This is very nice- I have already perfromed it a few times today for people I know and don't know. Gets great reactions- this is a joy to perform. Not difficult. Though, after using mine a few times, my gimmick is not as sturdy as it first was- I am a little disappointed about that. I am therefore a little afraid to keep this on my keychain in fear of losing the gimmick. But all in all- I really like the effect and handling.

RNK
[/quote]
It seems really obvious. Do people fall for it? Is it like Kris Angel's pen that I bought from Walgreen's recently?
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 15:47, mndude wrote:
It seems really obvious. Do people fall for it? Is it like Kris Angel's pen that I bought from Walgreen's recently?
[/quote]

I don't know kris angels effect ,can the pen be examined before and straight after the penetration ?

carl.
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 16:36, carlwag wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I don't know kris angels effect ,can the pen be fully examined before and straight after the penetration ?

carl.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 15:29, RNK wrote:

RNK
[/quote]
Thanks, I was just getting ready to pull the trigger until I read your post.
[quote]
[/quote]

Yes, people have no clue. They say, "Wait. Where is the hole at? I know there was a hole!"

But for $60.00, the ad states that you can keep this on your key chain and be ready anytime.". Well, you can be ready anytime, but I don't feel you can keep it on your key chain with confidence that the gimmick won't come off without you knowing.

RNK
I keep it on my keychain and have never had a problem with it. Do you have a lot of other stuff in that pocket also?

And what do you mean by "…my gimmick is not as sturdy as it first was"? It is a solid piece of metal; how can it become less sturdy?

Jim
I keep it on my keychain and if the gimmick accidentally travels it does not go far beyond my cluster of other keys.
I love this pocket trick.
I also like this a lot. By the way, give yourself a couple of weeks of performance practice. It will make you better.
I have found that if I keep the gimmick on my keychain, it doesn't stay.

I like the idea of keeping it in the wallet until ready to perform.

Just a piece of mind deal.

By the way, I have quite a few other items in that pocket for other tricks. If I just had my keys then location wouldn't be as big a deal.

Sammy
Just talking about this with Chris the other night. Sounds like another winner!!!

Jimmy
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 23:22, J-Mac wrote:
I keep it on my keychain and have never had a problem with it. Do you have a lot of other stuff in that pocket also?

And what do you mean by "…my gimmick is not as sturdy as it first was"? It is a solid piece of metal; how can it become less sturdy?

Jim
[/quote]

As Sammy J states in a previous post, "I have found that if I keep the gimmick on my keychain, it doesn't stay."

Mine is the same way. And when I first got it, the gimmick was "snug" to the key. But after using it a few times, it now wobbles, if that makes sense. I don't know if the "ghimmick" in the black part (head) of the key moved, in a sense "up" from the bottom? I don't know, all I know is that it was snug, and now it isn't. Saying that, I agree with Sammy- I don't feal that I can keep this on my keychain with confidence that it won't fall off. Though, I love the effect, it kills em' everytime I do it.

RNK
[quote]
On 2012-03-07 16:36, carlwag wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I don't know kris angels effect ,can the pen be examined before and straight after the penetration ?

carl.

Kris's pen was examined before the trick by me, and afterwards by the garbage collector.
[/quote]
Chris is a great guy, and Ignition has become my favorite "impromptu" effect. It's fun to do, and never fails to fry the spectators. Well done, Chris.
A lot of talk about the possibility of losing the gimmick, has anyone lost it yet? But, I bet you lost count of how many times you have done the effect.
The other issue of "being snug" does not make sense as there are no moving parts, and the strength of the ****** does not change, mine is the same as always.
I keep mine loose in my pocket, just make sure there are no magnets in the same pocket! As for the gimmick becoming loose, if you check you will find that gimmick can sit either side of the key stem, but if the key hole part at the top is to the right side and you attach the gimmick to the underside of the stem it will sit much more secure. This won't mean a thing until you try it, for some reason the gimmick attaches better on one side of the key than the other, does this make sense?

I've used this well over 500 times now with no problems, and the only time I nearly lost it was in the early days when I kept it in the same pocket as my Coinvexed!!

Gary Jones.
I keep the gimmick securely attached with a small rubber band around the very end. It's easy enough to remove before anyone even knows what you're going to do when removing the key from the chain. I've also found the same as Gary above, that the gimmick is more secure on one side of the stem than the other.

best
Sean
I also keep the gimmick loose in my pocket. I've only performed this a few times, but so far it's great!
I have always loved Pen Through Anything and just placed an order for this myself. I'm really looking forward to receiving this after reading all of the positive posts.
It is a good one. The reactions are really steller.

RNK
I've set up a separate key ring from my regular keys with two normal keys and the gimmick, which I keep in a pocket. Probably not a good idea to put it on your everyday use keychain.
[quote]
On 2012-04-30 16:32, NicholasD wrote:
I've set up a separate key ring from my regular keys with two normal keys and the gimmick, which I keep in a pocket. Probably not a good idea to put it on your everyday use keychain.
[/quote]

No it is not. Almost lost the gimmick a few times while taking out and putting back my keys throughout the day.

RNK
I have a split ring from wal mart about a buck for 3, I keep it there with extra keys for my key bending, I have never had an issue with the gimmick, I like the split ring as it is fast and easy to remove any key, no sticking my nail in the ring and whirling around to remove it.
Love everything about this effect. Good quality key, a variety of ways to present it and it's fun.
I've been using the movable hole routine that Gary Jones mentioned earlier in this thread. (Thanks Gary!) I like to puncture the face on the bill and say "ahhh, right in the face...that's just wrong. Pause, hand them the key, and then move the hole to the side. I mention "right in his face" so when the spec is rethinking the effect he'll easily remember seeing the hole initially in the center of the bill.
If you wear a ring you can hand out the note and key very openly. This effect also works great on a signed playing card.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Congreave (May 4, 2012 05:45AM)
I saw Gary do his routine several times last week, and I've ordered one on the strength of that, awesome routine, awesome prop!
[quote]
On 2012-05-04 06:26, jugglestruck wrote:
If you wear a ring you can hand out the note and key very openly. This effect also works great on a signed playing card.
[/quote]

If you try this and it doesn't work as well as you think it should, take the ring off, turn it around and try again :)
What would you say are the advantages to this over pen through anything?
[quote]
On 2012-05-21 09:10, El Mystico wrote:
What would you say are the advantages to this over pen through anything?
[/quote]

Immediately hand the key and dollar bill to be examined. Can't do that with the Pen.
I make my own Pen thru Bill and I'm able to hand out both the Pen and Bill "immediately" at the conclusion of the routine. Have been doing it that way for years and have yet have anyone discover the secret.
[quote]
On 2012-05-21 10:24, nonvpro wrote:
I make my own Pen thru Bill and I'm able to hand out both the Pen and Bill "immediately" at the conclusion of the routine. Have been doing it that way for years and have yet have anyone discover the secret.
[/quote]

That's cool, but the question was about a comparison of the two specific tricks on the market.
I think the advantage over pen thru anything is exposure. Pen thru anything is too publicized. It was one of my favorite tricks out there, but a lot of people have seen it. Although key thru anything is a similar concept, it appears a little more deceptive. Another thing is portability, I always have my keys with me, but not always a pen.
GeneTony,

You are correct. I was simply responding to your following comment:

"Immediately hand the key and dollar bill to be examined. Can't do that with the Pen".

My response was that "I make my own Pen thru Bill and I'm able to hand out both the Pen and Bill "immediately" at the conclusion of the routine. Have been doing it that way for years and have yet have anyone discover the secret".
Been playing around with this. Borrow two bills/notes, put a secret tear in one and hand it to a spectator to hold, penetrate the other note, I'll leave the rest up to you to fill in :)

Gary Jones.
I recent got this a really like the "impromtu / organic" premise of a key. Ironically, about 3 days in to practicing, the 2 parts of the gimmick came apart, with one still on the prop and the other dropping to the floor. A little glue fixes the problem, but there is a risk of this happening again, so I too am looking for a way to carry the gimmick other than attached to the prop.
[quote]
On 2012-05-21 16:06, Scott Horn wrote:
I recent got this a really like the "impromtu / organic" premise of a key. Ironically, about 3 days in to practicing, the 2 parts of the gimmick came apart, with one still on the prop and the other dropping to the floor. A little glue fixes the problem, but there is a risk of this happening again, so I too am looking for a way to carry the gimmick other than attached to the prop.
[/quote]

I just keep my key loose in my pocket, not had any problems with this.
I was delighted when I received this. It can sit with your keys right under their noses ready to be performed at any time. Ingenious, organic and motivated with a very impromptu feel. Manufacturing of the highest quality possible. A real pleasure to own and perform. Comes highly recommended.
I bought this immediately after watching the demo. Easily one of my best purchasing decisions. It is everything promised and/or implied & more. Fantastic precision and quality that has translated into great reactions after very little practice.

I'm openly displaying the key at the base of my fingers in one hand and reaching/requesting for a dollar bill with my empty other hand. As soon as they reach for a bill, I get-ready...and hand them the key as I take their bill...then another get-ready as they look at the key. The small get-ready considerations here are simple to figure out and achieve if you own Ignition. If I could do this with real magic it would look exactly the same.

Ignition owners, try this...once the key is in its penetrated position, turn it over to display it with the key-teeth pointing up...and now grasp the penetrated key-teeth with your other hand and let go of the fob for a few seconds while you display it penetrated (small consideration here easily worked out). Then reach back under and regrip the key/fob to continue and finish.

Fantastic leap forward in the penetrating genre. Congrats MagicSmith and thank you for allowing me to receive proportionately far more credit and applause than I deserve.

My highest recommendation.

Peace, Charlie
Charlie, thanks for sharing your professional tips!
I ordered mine on Gary's recommendation a while ago. One of the first new effects I've added to my strolling CU set in years. Brilliant!

If you want to see PERFECT audience management - check out the YouTube trailer. 1 minute 10 seconds into the video, a girl spectator goes to grab the gimmick and magician, not panicking, just says calmly "not yet" and laughs. He then completes the trick and hands her the key. Beautiful. Furthermore, if you look, she is much more interested in the bill proving Gary's point that, done well, the BILL is what is the star of the show not the key. :)
Hey gang,

I, too, just bought Ignition and give it my highest recommendation. Great thinking, Chris!

A presentation I've been using is to borrow a bill and tell the spectator I can actually hypnotize Andrew Jackson (if it's a $20 bill). I start waving the key in front of his face in little circles, saying, "Sleeeeepy.....you're getting sleeeeeepy."

After a few seconds, I say, "Look at that, he's completely under. Check this out!"

At this point, I stab the key right through his face. "Don't worry, I'm a professional. I can assure you, he doesn't feel a thing! Honestly, he's so far gone right now, he thinks he's a five!"

After everyone's had a chance to see, I "rip" the key from the bill, saying, "You have to do this part kind of quick, because you don't want him to wake up in the middle of it!"

As the key clears the bill, I hand it to the spectator and crumple the bill slightly, disguising its true condition.

"Okay, let's bring him back."

Now, I start "massaging" the bill with both hands as I slowly open it up, saying, "C'mon Andrew, wakey, wakey."

When the bill is completely opened up, and they see it's restored, I hand it back as I say, "Look at that, he's totally fine. AND, he's quit smoking!"

Then, I softly say, "Just don't let him hear the word "Chicago" or he'll start clucking like a chicken..."

The biggest thing with Ignition (and I'm not the first one to say this, of course) is to never focus on the key. It's just what you happened to have on you and was "convenient" to do a trick with.

Thanks for releasing this, Chris. Just great...

Best,

Chad
I love Ignition. It's all it's advertised as and more. My favorite effect I've bought so far this year, without a doubt.

Thanks Chad, Gary, Charlie and everyone else for sharing your tips and suggestions! Greatly appreciated.
I'm absolutely delighted with this purchase. In fact, I bought two of them I liked it so much. One is permanently on my Ring Flight Revolution and the other is on my everyday key chain. Chris Smith nailed this one!

-Jared
[quote]
On 2012-05-21 18:35, Charlie Justice wrote:
I bought this immediately after watching the demo. Easily one of my best purchasing decisions. It is everything promised and/or implied & more. Fantastic precision and quality that has translated into great reactions after very little practice.

I'm openly displaying the key at the base of my fingers in one hand and reaching/requesting for a dollar bill with my empty other hand. As soon as they reach for a bill, I get-ready...and hand them the key as I take their bill...then another get-ready as they look at the key. The small get-ready considerations here are simple to figure out and achieve if you own Ignition. If I could do this with real magic it would look exactly the same.

Ignition owners, try this...once the key is in its penetrated position, turn it over to display it with the key-teeth pointing up...and now grasp the penetrated key-teeth with your other hand and let go of the fob for a few seconds while you display it penetrated (small consideration here easily worked out). Then reach back under and regrip the key/fob to continue and finish.

Fantastic leap forward in the penetrating genre. Congrats MagicSmith and thank you for allowing me to receive proportionately far more credit and applause than I deserve.

My highest recommendation.

Peace, Charlie
[/quote]

Yeah...What Charlie said.
Seriously; I was going to comment on this, but I can't say it any better than Charlie did. I recently saw Charlie and he said, "Have you seen this?!" ...And of course, I pulled my "Ignition" key out of my pocket! LOL. I did the same thing and bought it as soon as I saw the demo. This floors lay people! I have a strolling gig in two days and this is going to be one of those things I'll be doing most likely for nearly every group I encounter.

Charlie and I traded subtleties when we were praising this little gem and since he shared his here, I'll share mine as well...
When you bring the key down to 'penetrate' the bill, say nothing and make no noise; but just give the hand holding the bill a subtle shake as you bring it down and away to display the penetrated bill with your other hand.
The thought behind this: If you jammed a key through a bill at enough speed to push through the bill, you'd also strike your hand, or at least graze a finger on the under side of the bill. It wouldn't break the skin or cause too much discomfort; but a subtle 'shaking off' of the supposed impact would help provide a little reality to the routine. Again, my suggestion is not to make any injured sound or draw attention to it at all...just do it and continue with the routine.

This is a fantastic thing to have in one's pocket. Just fantastic.
I loved it enough that I also bought two. ;o)

Thanks to Charlie for such a great post and for sharing that subtlety. I have been using it, my friend!
If you think it's good with a dollar you should see it with a Twenty.
The sugar packet illusion is even more amazing!

Regards,
Mike
Great product, I have this attached to my car key ring and if questioned say it is the key for the glove box.
Good to have something you can always carry with you for a quick 'impromptu' effect.
Valet key would work as well,but I think this would not be an issue.
Could make a good story line though,with the spec getting the tip in the end(their money back).
Borrow a five and you could say someone had "keyed your Lincoln"!

Personally I would just do it!
But I do have friends that are very funny performers that can sell corny lines as easy as water to a man thirsty in the desert!

This seems to be a very well made prop and imsure I will pick it up soon.

Is it practical to use the ripped edges gaff like can be done with the pen?

Either way,i will still do the pen and sometimes this depending on the occasion.
As I mentioned a few pages back, I reach into my pocket and bring out a few items (coins and key) and just say I'll just use my locker key and put the coins away again, no one has ever questioned the key. I only came up with this when at a gig someone asked what kind of car I had, this got me thinking, I recalled at one gig I was given a locker for my belongings and the key was very similar to Ignition.

The type of key isn't really an issue, I just didn't want to get into a conversation about which type of car I have :)

Gary Jones.
Makes sense.

My reasoning on getting this is simply having another object(the key)to do a great effect.
I performed in clubs/pubs behind the bar for years and some of the same people would see me perform(regulars)and when using effects like pen through bill,i would mix it up,sometimes using a pencil(mislead)or simply tearing a bill in half after the stab and using the hundred dollat bill switch to restore it and to the regulars it was the same trick,and fresh to the new patrons.

And of course sometimes in those conditions,someone may request that trick you showed them for a friend(pen through).
Get the bill,search around...Here my locker key will do,and then go on.
It is these subtle moments where having several good ways to do a gimmicked effect comes in handy and keeps you under the radar in my opinion.
Not saying always fulfill request but these things do have a level of importance.
The ripped gaff with the visual in your face penetration using the pen is beautiful,but the key seems just as good on it's own merits,
Such as I explained above,or your dressed very casual and something as simple as a pen could seem out of place,where your keys would not.
Never ever had someone want to see the pen and I know the same is true with the key,it's all about that bill,business card,sugar packet or whatever,but I would think most who have worked this already know that.

Im convinced this is a well made product that will hold up considering Gary has used it 500 plus times and MagicSmith stands behind their products(I know first hand). :)
MagicSmith makes the highest quality gimmicks in the industry in my opinion. The best thing about this particular trick so far for me is that it is on my keychain. I thought I was caught with nothing to perform and I remembered I had this. Popped it through a receipt, worked like a charm.
I got this thing and, like many others, I love it. This is a fresh spin on an old classic. I Keep going back and forth on whether or not I like performing it on a key ring with other keys or if I prefer to remove it and use it separately. It is great either way. I have been carrying it on the Pro-Flight key ring so that I can combine the 2. Boom-Bam
Just put in my order, so stoked. This sounds like something I'll carry with me for a long long long time.
I have had this for a while now and I never labeled the key , calling it a locker or car or anything, it's just a key, I have several keys on my key chain just as millions of people do, I take out my keys and remove a couple, take the Ignition key and go, no need to say, locker . No one , not once has ever questioned the key, but in the end it's the bill they question , I do find using a higher denomination of a borrowed bill works better, even those watching, they freak over someone else's $100. Bill getting destroyed, one tip you may like that work with a large bill, I try to "puncture" or do the tear move over the serial number and explain that the bank will give you a new bill as long as the serial number is intact, so I add a bit more drama.
My latest routine with this......Borrow a bill, do the secret tear, perform Yoshio Hirose's The Invisible Hole (Apocalypse Vol. 6-10 page 1038), I mention I'll do it again but without any cover and I'll use my locker key, I now do my moving hole sequence, and everything can now be examined!!

Gary Jones.
Those that have this, please tell me either here or PM, does the gimmick stay with key securely on/in your keychain/pocket or is there a good chance of losing it?
Yes it will stay safely attached to the key as long as you don't have any PK stuff in the same pocket ;-)

Gary Jones.
Unlike Gary, mine seems to fall off in my pocket a lot. I do carry other items in the pocket, but no magnets.

I have resorted to setting this up right before performance.

Any tips from Gary on keeping this secure would be much appreciated!

Sammy
Hi Sammy,

I'm talking about at gigs, I carry it in a ticket pocket in my jacket. Yes I have had it stick to my Coinvexed gimmick and other stuff, it's just a case of putting it somewhere where it can't really dislodge. An idea I've had but not used, is to have the gimmick in a different pocket to the key attached to a magnet, when looking for the key both hands go to the pockets, one brings out the key while the other cops the gimmick, so far I've not needed to use this but it would solve the problem.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Like Sammy, I to do not have luck with it staying on all the time. IMO, for $60.00, I would not take the chance.

RNK
RNK, are you attaching the gimmick in the right way? If so I can't see how you're having this problem. You will find that the gimmick attaches to the key more securely only on one side and the magnet part of the gimmick is touching the key, this secures the gimmick pretty well.

PM me or more details if I've not made the above very clear.

Gary.
Aloha,

I found that a pill fob attached to my ring flight revolution, makes a perfect storage container for the gimmick. When I get to the gig I just transfer it to the key.

In my routine I like to introduce the keys (palming off the gimmick using the Latta palm) and asking THEM to remove the key from the carabeaner. By this time they've subconsciously examined the key without me asking and of cource it's their bill so...no heat period. It works for me.
BTW: the pill fob is a great place to store extra flash string, etc.
Gary-
Your moving hole plot is an incredible alternative handling. I'm working on some "patter and stuff" and then it's mine. Thanks for sharing with us.
-Dave
[quote]
On 2012-07-02 01:17, MeHitDrum wrote:
Gary-
Your moving hole plot is an incredible alternative handling. I'm working on some "patter and stuff" and then it's mine. Thanks for sharing with us.
-Dave
[/quote]

Cheers Dave!

Gary Jones.
I just recieved mine yesterday.
yes it will last a long time it's well made
Criss states on the dvd,not to carry the gimmic on the key at all times unless you are using it at a gig,place in your wallet ect.
being a lefty is not a prob it's easy enough to do as shown on the dvd.
I give a 10/10.
I got to check out a friends. It is VERY clever and well made. I watched him perform it and the reactions were fantastic. ALL attention was on the bill. I think you could easily ad a ripped gaff à la Jim Krenz. Has anyone tried that?

This goes on my list of things to get!
I just purchased this...should be here sometime next week!
I just received my copy of Ignition and I'm really happy with my purchase. Gimmick is well made and I highly recommend it!
Just got mine today from Penguin. Man their shipping is quick even using the free option! Well got this today. Now it's off to practice!! We shall see!
I purchased a metal pill fob at Walgreens to keep the gimmick and it turned out a bad idea. The gimmick separated and I had to Super Glue it back together again. The first time I glued it I did it the wrong way facing out (if you know what I mean) and so I had to take it apart again and reglue it. I did find a plastic pill fob at the Dollar Store but it was just a little too short and so no good. Anyway, everything is back to normal now and if anyone knows of a source for plastic pill fobs the right size please let me know.

Ed
Why would the gimmick separate?
I found a smell zippered pouch at Woolworths it's ideal to store the gimmic.
Inside it has a label ,so I placed a key hholder thru it to keep the gimmic secure just incase the zip opens
see picture
PS; GIMMIC NOT SHOWN
The only pill tubes I could find in Australia were to small to hold the gimmic.
I would prefer a steeltube on the key ring to store the gimmic so if anyone finds one big enough please let me know where to buy one ,with a web link if possible
thanks
Jon.
In my case I found the m****t on the gimmick was strongly attracted to the lid of the metal pill fob and detached from the gimmick. Maybe this was just a fluke but now I'm scared to use a metal pill fob. Fortunately this was easily fixed with Super Glue (once I got the polarity the right way around). I used it several tomes yesterday at work and everything works fine again.

Ed
The length of this thread unfortunatly points out the difficultes of dealing with magnetic gimmicks. Imagine if you are trying to juggle several effects that use ******** in your pockets.
Sorry this is a long one. Just on the edge of retiring from being a pro for around 40 years. These days I rarely, if ever, buy a new item although the interest is still there. I liked the ‘Ignition’ effect. With my background and the Forum it was easy to get the exact method and the discussions in the forum were of interest. Despite doing few gigs these days I could see me using this item. Before actually buying, I worked out a patter presentation that would suit my style and me. So far as I can see, all the postings were to do with the handling of the prop etc. and no one seems concerned in making the presentation entertaining. I have now worked a few gigs with the item and will share with you my presentation.

Magic Smith has produced a splendid item. The prop is clever and well made but I suspect that many will present it as seen in the various demos on You Tube. Done this way, it’s certainly very clever but almost falls into the ‘so what’ category and almost over too quickly. It must be fun and entertaining, so this is my take on it.

Having done a few effects for your viewers and got them smiling, patter something similar as follows. “The police are after me! Yes – an act like mine is criminal I know” “Let me explain. I came up with an idea for testing currency notes for forgeries. The police were interested. I’ll show you. Have you a £20.00/10/50 note to hand?” This lighthearted opening is bound to create interest. As I’m in UK I use an English note of course.

Whilst the note is being found, remove a pen from your pocket to be ready. As you take the note remark with this old line “This is the note you gave me??” Helper will agree so say, “Thank you very much” and move as if to put the note into your pocket. (Another chuckle).

Hand note & pen requesting helper to initial. “Initial it on her front side as she doesn’t like it on her back . . . .” Indicate to put initials on the face section. This focuses attention on the note. As this takes place, remove key from your left pocket and set in hand as per original DVD instructions. Take back pen with R/H and return to pocket. Now take note in R/H and use the move to place the note in L/H, Queen’s face on top away from performer, and pass the key with R/H to helper to hold. “Don’t loose my key as it is the key to my locker!” YOU DON’T SAY EXAMINE THE KEY!

Comment on the initials etc. then take back the key and use its tip to point to the initials. Remarking with a smile “Defacing a currency note is illegal of course” (Chuckle). As you do this, manoeuvre the note so that the Queen’s head is in the position you need to make the penetration.
“This is how the forgery test works” Thrust the key through the note(?). At this point if you had actually done what appears to be the case, you might well have actually hurt a finger. So turn both hands palm up making appropriate remarks about the key’s sharp edges hurting your hand and this will of course show the key in its penetrated position. Use the key tip to point to your L/H. Blow slightly on your left fingers as if to ease the hurt.

Having done this, hold note steady in L/H and, with the shaft of the key still showing, twist the fob under the note causing the blade to revolve slightly as if you are boring a larger hole. No need to emphasise or comment on this. Turn R/H palm down again and do the removal of key move, placing the key down or handing it to helper to hold. All this happens fair quickly as seen on the promotional video.

Return R/H to the note in L/H and massage the apparently damaged note. As you do this look around with a smile at the faces and explain “This is how one tells if the note is a forgery or not.” Gradually reveal the undamaged note saying something like “If the note is genuine there would be a rip in it, if there is no damage then it proves the note is a forgery.” Smile around. “Clearly this note is a forgery and I must retain it to pass to the police”. (Smile broadly!) L/H with note and gimmick goes as if to put in left pocket, as soon as the hand enters the pocket, drop the gimmick and at once bring back note returning it to the helper with a smile. “Just joking friend” Take back the key dropping it into left pocket. Thank the helper and, if there are folk around, ask them to give helper a round of applause for being a good sport.

DON’T use the above lines ‘parrot fashion’ but employ as the basic theme. Have back-chat and ad-libs with the viewers. Presented in a ‘tongue in cheek’ manner and you will have an entertaining, as well as a baffling routine. The chat will also lengthen the routine that is almost over to quickly.

You will note that I don’t use the bunch of keys or the carabiner clip. When working gigs I wouldn’t have a bunch of keys in my pocket and there is that slight delay in removing it from the clip although this is quick & easy to do. It’s up to you on this point. All I give is my idea for an amusing presentation that is working for me and I hope it gives some of you something to think about.
Thank you Pete for sharing. What a great "first" post although it's evident that you are not a newbie. Presentation and interaction is what it is all about and you have shared a great example in many respects.
Thanks for posting....welcome to The Café and I look forward to reading more from you.
David Paul
Thanks for the feedback Paul. Point of interest. When I typed this out originally (in MS WORD) I put all the script words in BLUE. Naturally in this forum this isn't available. Pity. Other forums I post on do have this facility. However Magic Café is such a world famous forum they wont change it all just for me. Ho Ho. Pete.
Nice routine Pete. Welcome to the Café. I am also looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Ray
Do any of you guys have a hard time hitting the gimmick 100% of the time? Not sure what my problem is!
What do you guys do to ensure 100% success strike rate?? Ive watched the DVD over and over. I like magic smiths version better then the fist version
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Jul 13, 2012 11:22PM)
It's a bit of a knack. Be sure to pause for a brief second after the key makes contact with the bill. You can feel when the gimmick connects.. If its a bit off, A small adjustment can then be made. Don't be in a big hurry to let go of the gimmick. Hope this helps.
Really sounds like you are going too fast, Troop. There's no hurry! Slow and steady...

Jim
A couple of folk were kind enough to remark that they looked forward to a further posting from me as a newcomer, so I have put one about Flying Rings on http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=261&forum=4&start=150
Great review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQVspqMdcA&feature=plcp
A few have PM'd me about my "Pimp your Ignition" post. If you want more info just send me a PM with a link to your e-mail. After I confirm you have Chris's product I will link you to a private vid where I can show you my additions. Thanks guys/gals for the interest. :)

(I will have vid ready in the next day. Much better than a photo.)

Lot's of messages. Enough so that I feel I should give Chris a head's up. I am very quick about these things so it will be very soon, but maybe not tomorrow. A few days should do it.

Thanks again for the interest everyone. It is humbling
[quote]
On 2012-07-20 21:41, lokikross wrote:
Wow. Lot's of messages. Enough so that I feel I should give Chris a head's up. I am very quick about these things so it will be very soon, but maybe not tomorrow. A few days should do it.

Thanks again for the interest everyone. It is humbling. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the photo Loki. That is a very clever idea. I look forward to your video, I sent you a photo of my Ignition. Looks like I will have to work up one of these little extra gimmicks!
Thanks Joe!
I am putting the vid together, but wanted Chris's blessing because I can show with just my gimmick, (fair), or alltogether, handling, building, ect. But without his blessing the second way would be exposure. So the vid will be made in the next day or two, and should have a decision on how to handle it from Chris as soon as I get to talk to him. (I now him, so it should be fairly soon, a few days.)

I left Chris a message. So waiting on response. Until then it would be best to also e-mail me a pic of your ignition at loki.kross@live.com. Then I can send a pic back of my gimmick. That should help everyone with clarification of my post. Then when I film tomorrow I will have a complete tutorial on building and handling this gimmick. I will make that available to those who have emailed myself in the next few days.
Thank you for the interest and patience guys. I just didn't think it was going to get this much response; so I am making sure to handle this ethically. So send those emails and the pics will come today. Video will follow.

Hey Vernon. You may want to hold on to it for a couple days. The visible hole and vanishing hole effects I have added to this make it another effect all together. It will be available shortly. (And yes, since I started my "Pimp your Ignition" campaign I have found a way to make the hole visibly close with no cover. Now its there; now its not.)
Nice info guys
Message: Posted by: Rafael The Master Hypnotist (Jul 21, 2012 02:20PM)
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 14:14, richard rain wrote:
Nice info guys
[/quote]

29 more Post to go...........Yaaaaaai

Just got off the phone with Loki and he's sending me the explanation video on Pimp my Ignition in the next 2 days. Hats off to Loki for coming up with a really cool rip gaff, and asking me permission first before revealing the Ignition gimmick along with his gimmick - a stand up fellow! As soon as I see it, we will both discuss and then sign off so it will be available for Café members.
Looking forward to seeing it Chris...sounds great!!
Receiving my Ignition today,cant wait to get my eager little hands on it,and then PIMP IT OUT :))
Hi everyone. I have finished filming and editing "Pimp My Ignition" for Chris. I have uploaded it to youtube though 6 times in the last day and it keeps saying "return service error". The video is HD and 20 minutes long, but I have hour long videos unlisted, and I am a partner; so I am not sure what is going on. I will talk to Chris today and make sure the video makes it to him, today.

Then he can see it and we can sign off on it.

Thank you for being patient everyone,
LokI.
I found a plastic pill fob that is just the right size for the gimmick:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280773208190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4363wt_1163

There is a small amount of metal attached to the lid but not enough to do any damage.

Ed
I've also just realised that I can put the gimmick head first into the plastic pill fob and then there is zero chance of any damage.
[quote]
On 2012-07-18 23:01, Zombie Magic wrote:
Great review here:

[/quote]

Was that a review or a commercial? I am suspecting the latter. Chris's stuff is top notch and I have no doubt that this is an awesome effect. I would prefer to see a real review and not a commercial for a product that the reviewer sells. For me, the most informative reviews also lists some cons. I normally read those first. If I find those cons trivial I find this a far better convincer than pages of pros.
Chris M, the last 8 pages of this thread have countless people giving extremely positive reviews and offering some amazing tips too, what more do you need.
[quote]
On 2012-07-25 17:38, Chris Meece wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-18 23:01, Zombie Magic wrote:
Great review here:

[/quote]

Was that a review or a commercial? I am suspecting the latter. Chris's stuff is top notch and I have no doubt that this is an awesome effect. I would prefer to see a real review and not a commercial for a product that the reviewer sells. For me, the most informative reviews also lists some cons. I normally read those first. If I find those cons trivial I find this a far better convincer than pages of pros.
[/quote]

If you look at his Youtube site, he does reviews, both good and bad. So, he isn't doing commercials.
So I got the keys since I need it on the weekend. Cost me fortune for sending it to Manila via Fedex but it's all worth it. The gimmick is totally examinable that even a magician would be fooled.

It's a good thing that we just had a new set of bank notes/bills so it's a point of interest. I have started on telling about our new bill's soft spots. I did milked it out by taking my time looking for the soft spot in the bill, having them mark it as I pull out Ignition.

This would be on top of the GO TO list.
Got it yesterday and entertained my local Döner-dealer with it.
Fantastic and simple, love it!

I did not saw it anywhere mentioned (most people will know anyways!) you can shift the gimmick behind the bill from one hand to the other and show both hands emtpy. That way I pick up the key with my right hand and the gimmick connects to the key when putting it in my pocket.
So I need to get this? Is that what your telling me?
Hi everyone. "Pimp My Ignition" has been signed off on, and approved by Magic Smith.

S.A.M. is wrapping up today (This was the delay), and I should have the go ahead to start sending links out tonight/tomorrow.

So here in the next day everyone can "Pimp Their Ignition", and if the responses from Magic Smith and a few others are any indication; I think you guys will really love what you can do with this addition. Moving holes. Vanishing holes. And even a visual mend of the hole.

I hope everyone that bought Ignition enjoys this and finds even more uses for the additional gimmick in their performances.

Your Friend in Magic,
LokI
[quote]
On 2012-07-26 10:47, paisa23 wrote:
So I need to get this? Is that what your telling me?
[/quote]

Yes...yes you need to get this. It's awesome
Since I was lucky to have started the thread, I was given a chance to see a preview of, “Pimp my Ignition”
Loki has taken a really great effect and made it in to an awesome close up illusion, without giving anything away, it’s safe to say what he has done is make it look like a real penetration as it would look if you did it for real, then, just when you think that’s it, a remarkable ending, so visual it will blow your mind. There are some new handlings you will like as well, Loki has imagined, then did a real key penetration and destroyed a lot of money along the way, just to see what it really looks like, and then he went out and created it, now he is willing to share with all of us.
You will need to make up a little something, but Loki goes in to detail and shows how fast and easy it is, he goes on with good tips and advice as well. This is one of those effects you will hear people say,” This is as close to real magic as it gets”
Thank you so much for the review, I am humbled and I cannot wait to share this with all Ignition owners. I will be responding to PMs today and we will make it more public in the next day.

Thanks again everyone for the interest!

LokI
Well I might be placing my order in today, so hopefully I can partake in this!
I have sent video links to all who have emailed me a picture of their gimmick. I am now passing this over to Magic Smith to handle for all existing/future customers. And thank you to all who participated, and if you still want to send proof of ownership my way; I will get the video to you promptly.

Thanks everyone,
LokI
Yeah if I order today I wont get it till next week, so ill try to contact you or Magic Smith after that.
No problem Paisa. As soon as you can prove you have purchased it, I am sure the link will be made available to you. It may even become included in future purchases.

So order it; even without my add-on, this is a fantastic product.

LokI
Thanks so much to Loki for his work on pimping Ignition - really great idea but unfortunately more suited for US currency. Here in Canada all our bills are brightly coloured and different colours for the different denominations. To add to that we are in the process of switching to plastic currency. I tend to borrow 50s and 100s from spectators and those can be plastic or paper. Even 20s will be switching to plastic fairly soon. Our lowest bill is a blue $5 and so pimping will cost a lot more and restrict performances to just that one denomination. Great for people using US currency.

Ed
Loki what's your email address??
Hi. My email is loki.kross@live.com
Hi Ed. Thank you for the kind words.

Question: Is the plastic currency thin like paper? And could you use it when asking for specific denominations? Or carry 1 of each, (considering how tiny)?

I am just wondering because thin plastic-like paper may be use able. It is just something I, or someone else will have to try. I would hate to limit this to just U.S. magicians. That was the only currency I had at hand ;).

But definitely something to look into. Thank you for bringing it to our attention Ed.

LokI
The plastic currency feels different to the paper currency - well, feels like plastic and doesn't slide as easily. Also, parts of the bill are clear and you can see through. Un-pimped Ignition still works just fine on plastic money.
Thanks for the extra info Ed. I will see if there is anything clever I can come up with for our international colleagues :)
Loki...email sent!
Hey Everyone,

I have gotten a few requests so I am selling these "Pimp My Ignition" gimmicks, hand-made, by myself. I of course have Magic Smiths blessing and will probably start a new thread (Gary, maybe you could when you receive yours). This is because, as Gary pointed out, the gaff is useful for any bill rip situation.

So the deal is 20.00$ for 10 and your preference of S&H, (bills have to be destroyed to get that "sweet" spot"), and I am making another video with even more tips on using the gimmick. That will be available shortly to all orders. (This will all be refilmed in a few months for the Ignition DVD).

So if you are interested in having these made by the creator, shoot me an email at loki.kross@live.com, and I will make them for you. (My Paypal is the same if you just want to order. Just include "PMI Purchase" in the note :)

And thanks again to everyone,
LokI
Just to be clear. You will pay postage based on where you order from. So if you are in the U.S. and just want to order, add 6$ for priority mail. Otherwise specify, and I will shoot you a message with the difference. Thanks!
So I think this is a great routine, have had it for about a month now,and am loving performing it! Completely frys lay people and some magicians too.. Haven't had a problem with gimmick falling off either,:) Just emailed Loki and look forward to recieving the video for 'PMI'
I just want to let everyone know about a excellent recent experience I had with MagicSmith (Chris)....I had an issue with my gimmick, where it wouldn't stay in position properly once "penetrated" through the bill..the gimmicks properties for some reason were lost, and I wasn't sure what to do...I emailed Magicsmith via his website...His response time was under 1 hour, and sent me out a new gimmick within 24 hours...The service was Exceptional!! He stands by his product 100% and helped this fellow magician with no problem at all...Thank you Magicsmith...Your response to my issue was greatly appreciated and for the others in the magic community that don't own this effect...ignition is one AWESOME effect!!!
An additional video will be linked later this week on the "Pimp My Ignition" video. For those that have the link.

It covers my handling of the visual "mending" of the bill, and how to make it fool-proof and happen 100% on cue.
This way there is a visible tear, you wave your hand a foot above the bill, over it; and it stitches. Then with another wave or a shake the bill is completely healed and you are reset and ready to go.

Magic Smith has also allowed secondary rights to this gaff so that I can make it available for all bill rip/penetration effects.
When the demo and stock is developed I will start a new thread for the new product, "PMI".

Then in October I will be adding all of this to the Ignition DVD, when I re-film for Magic Smith.

So "Ignition" is the official product for this gaff, but I will be making it available to magicians who utilize all methods.

Thank you for all those who have supported this "grassroots" magic campaign!
As Chris Smith put it, "It is a wonderful thing when we can all find ways to make each others magic stronger". (Paraphrased)
I agree!

LokI
What a pleasure it is to deal with a person like Chris Smith at Magicsmith. I received a unit (Ignition) from Chris with a slight imperfection, emailed him and asked if it was possible to fix the problem instead of sending the unit back. Instead of waffling and trying to make excuses, he told me he was sending me a new unit – which he was going to inspect personally – and he was sorry the one I received had slipped through the inspection process.
Chris, you are a shining example of what customer relations should be.
Thank you,
Barry
I absolutely adore this effect, and it's been hanging on my key chain ever since I purchased it. I have to say, though, that one would do well to observe carefully Chris's tips on not losing your Ignition gimmick. Due to repeated performance, I've now lost mine TWICE! This isn't a problem with the effect itself so much a function of my own clumsiness, but there is a small piece you will need to carry around seperately, and it will take some thinking to find a spot where it can't accidentally be lost.

Luckily, as others have mentioned, Chris is very kind and accommodating in a customer service situation. I hope to keep carrying this effect around for years!

Now - what's this "Pimp my Ignition" business?
If you have a card holder in your wallet; that is not on top of your credit cards; that is where I would keep the gimmick.

I keep a card holder on my bill side and have never lost it. It stays there just fine and you can tilt you wallet as you are looking for a bill, (while they look too), and drop it out into your hand.
The only way I could lose mine is if I dropped it performing, (Unlikely), or carried my wallet upside down, (Easier to have happen, but not if you pay attention).

As for the "Pimp My Ignition" effect, if you send me a photo of your complete Ignition, I will send you a link to the video (My contact is in this thread multiple times already, plus additional info).

As well, a new video is being edited and will go up this week that ensures everyone will be able to make the hole visibly mend without the shaking; just a wave of the hand.

All of this will eventually move to the Ignition DVD around November. But for now, you can contact myself for the link.
The mending bit of "PMI" is on hold for a moment until I can ensure it is 100%. It looks great when it works, but that is the issue. Until then I offer this:
I have been just pulling my gimmick under my thumb as I lightly shake the bill. With the signature and circle it looks and works great this way.
(I do it on a 3 count)
Then you clean up the same way.
Brought this over to a convetion we had here last weekend and Ignition totally fooled magicians who are expecting the "same old, same old." Totally love this gimmick!
It has been pointed out that my e-mail is hard to find, again. It is loki.kross@live.com
Thanks, and I apologize if it was hard to find. :)
Thank you lokikross for a great idea. The video looks great. Cant wait to try out the new way to perform this.
Thank You, Mr Effecto!
I received the video link from Loki. I'm not sure if I'll use this or a pen through bill mod. I saw on Reel Magic a while back. Loki's work gives a better effect in my opinion, but needs a bit more care with the handling.
Massive credit to Loki for taking the time and trouble to film this in detail (and sharing). Definitely a 'magician helping magicians'
Thank You Puggo. I appreciate your feedback. :)
I have received some e-mails about seeing my work on this , before making a purchase of Ignition. Which is not possible due to the deal I made with Magic Smith.

To those, I would like to once again say that Ignition inspired my thinking on this project. I had Ignition only for a few weeks before I built PMI and shared it with Chris Smith. I realize it will work with other systems, and eventually I will develop it to where I can make a separate whole product out of this. But for now, it is linked to Ignition. So I can only suggest that you get Ignition, because it is an exceptional product. (As I have stated earlier)

I have filmed a simple demo of what it would look like to perform Ignition with my PMI gimmick. With an overhead of what the vanish looks like.

It is unlisted as I do not want to put a performance of Ignition public, until I have a better camera-person.
I am currently without anyone with any real experience.

If you would like a link to it, just send an e-mail to loki.kross@live.com and I will send you a link.

That should help with any additional questions about how these will work together, or what it is, (PMI).
As for Ignition, you should watch the Demo currently offered by MS.

Thank you, and I hope this helps. :)
After extended viewing and several e-mails, it has become clear that I am not exposing anything Ignition related in my demo video.

So instead of having to e-mail me, you can just watch the demo here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjdFviyHsKk

This way you can see what added benefits PMI brings to Ignition, and basically all bill penetrations.

To get the tutorial, you will still have to send a pic of your Ignition, as they are still connected.

I hope this brings a whole new group of magicians to this great combo. :)

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, They are appreciated.

LokI
Ran into a magician friend of mine at dinner last night who performed Ignition. I have to admit...I was fooled.
I purchased Ignition recently & love using it. & with the new Skycap I just bought, I use Ignitions (signed) bill penetration, then roll that into Skycap's bill penetration into water bottle for my / a different version of a "healed & sealed" presentation....

I do like LukI's idea/routine of PMI to add into Ignition !! Sent a pic email for your PMI tut LokI - Thank you.
Thanks for the pics guys! The video links have been sent!

LokI
This is another of my handling's for Ignition, I often combine this with Bag4Life which can be found on mine, Mark Bendell's and Lee Smith's DVD 'The Unknown' which is put out by RSVP Magic. If using this with Bag4Life just have the key and the coin in the bag to start.

This was uploaded and filmed on a mobile as part of mine and Mark Bendell's 'The Mobile Sessions'

http://youtu.be/0JqnG5gNsLQ

More ideas and handling's to follow!

All the best,

Gary Jones.
Just received Ignition yesterday. Still trying to get the movements down smoothly. This trick is amazing! Love it!
Brilliant thinking by Gary and a lovely follow up to Bag4Life. That's going straight into the set - nice one mate!

Ignition has to be one of the top items from 2012, highly recommended.
I got this not too long ago and every single time it just absolutely kills. Goes right over everyone.

I follow it up with some effects that, personally, I think are better but every time I ask my spectators which they preferred they usually say Ignition.

The audience has spoken...
I also like the idea of using it as follow up to bag4life, but I'm torn because I also really like the idea of using a borrowed bill.
I believe that using their bill means they have some skin in the game and is a more emotional hook.
Whereas using the small bag seems to make it more like a "little magic trick" and perhaps not as memorable. I can't see the spec really having an emotional investment in the little bag. But then again, I like bag 4life very much and it gets a very good reaction.
Guess I'll just have to try it out and judge for myself. There are certainly a lot of performance ideas after just performing a penetration with the bag and they are inspecting it for holes. Seems to lead right into Ignition.
But thanks so much for sharing the bag idea, it may turn out to be a winner.
The plastic bag looks great. Will have to give it a try.
I have been playing with the plastic bag now for a couple of days. This was a great idea by Gary. If you have not tried this out with ignition you are really missing some great ideas. Something I have figured out is by using the plastic bag you can start with the key in the bag and show both hands empty prior to doing the effect. The gimmick can be attached to the key through the back of the bag. When ready to do the effect just steal the gimmick off the back. You can't do this with a bill. The plastic bag idea is about as clean as you can get. Once the effect is over the key can be dropped back in the plastic bag and the gimmick reattached and again you can show your hands empty again. You are reset to go again. Great idea by Gary Jones to use the clear plastic bag. So I am sure some of you are thinking why is my key in a plastic bag to begin with. OK you tell them you are going to remove the key through the bottom of the plastic. As you are trying to do this effect you are just stealing the gimmick. Now just say I am not that good so let them remove the key from the bag and you are set to do the effect. They have handled the key and the bag prior to the penetration.
Does anyone know if the (Ignition) key fits Tenyo's T-169 Zone Infinity?

Rick
The reactions I get for this effect couldn't be more varied.
for some people it's mind blowing whereas they had to tell their colleagues about it
others don't "feel" it at all, even tough they don't spot the method.
interestingly enough, over time you'll get a feeling to which person this trick appeals more
Here is a routine I really enjoy.

Setup- Take an envelope of your choosing and push a key through the center so that a hole is created all the way through.

When ready to perform, take out the envelope and hold it so that the holes are covered and display it without mentioning it.
Ask to borrow a note, the higher the denomination the better. A credit card or driver license could be borrowed but I would then carry an envelope closer to the size of those items.
Place the note or card in the envelope and proceed by appearing to penetrate the key through the envelope. Be sure to line the gimmick up with the holes in the envelope.
Make a quick adjustment if need be before displaying it to your audience.
Now you may proceed to slide/rip through the envelope and note with the key but I prefer to perform a - pulling the key out - visual.
Remove the note/card from the envelope and return the item to the owner and display or hand out the envelope.