(Close Window)
Topic: ESP Cards
Looking to get a set of ESP cards with at least 5 symbols to perform a matching selection of randomly selected cards by the volunteer. Can someone point me in the right direction for top quality ESP cards for this.

THANKS
Paralabs.com

The best I have seen in a very long time.
Tony, did you mean paralabs.org ? If so, I'm a little lost when I viewed their site. Where can I find their items? Anyone...
I'm getting a strong psychic impression...a distinct vibe coming from Tony... Something about an orb? No, not orb...org...he actually meant "paralabs.org" Does that make sense to you?

Edit: Ah, man...beaten to the punch!
Can someone PM me Theodore's surname. I would like to order the PLF ESP from para

Thanks CHRIS
OOPS!!!!! Sorry guys!!!! Thanks for the correction
Beyond ESP 3
[quote]
Beyond ESP 3
[/quote]

Yes, I just received this and have been pouring over it for 3 days. This deck is fantastic. Solid color backs. A very well writen book of routines. Also includes specialty cards and envelopes. You get several full sets of the 5 symbols in two colors.
If you have no special needs, you can get an authentic ESP deck with a great pedigree here:

http://www.rhine.org/zenercards.htm

Paralabs cards will be better for some things, though. And maybe better overall.
[quote]
On 2012-01-11 23:28, MagiChrisMitch wrote:
Can someone PM me Theodore's surname. I would like to order the PLF ESP from para

Thanks CHRIS
[/quote]

Ruxpin

-rob
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 03:42AM)
Don't forget the MK-MOD ESP test cards. You actually get two decks (one m****d, one not), along with some gaffs.
T.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 03:46AM)
Actually, don't forget the Royal Magic ones, either. If Chris doesn't know the password to Paralabs, it seems that he is a beginner and might be better spending his money on the cheaper gear first, then upgrade to one of the premium* sets of ESP cards later.

* Beyond ESP; MK-MOD; Paralabs
I am in the market for some m***ed ESP cards - poker or bridge size. Need some easy to read from a yard or two away. Suggestions of a brand that are easy to read from a distance?

Lyndel
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 07:03AM)
The m***ed MK-MOD cards are specifically designed to be read from a distance and in low light. They are bridge sized.
The m***ings can also be read with a view of one corner, if that makes sense. The same cannot be said for the other premium brands.
Cheers,
T.
For distance work I would say MOD are great.
and my eyes are really bad.

steve
Cradshark, maker of the phoenix deck, has a nice set of esp cards that are easy to read and a little bigger than normal playing cards
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 08:49AM)
Here's a quick comparison of ESP decks currently on the market.

I've stuck to those of playing card size, so there are no jumbo decks listed here.

Note, when comparing prices online, that some of these decks are actually kits containing more than one deck. Sometimes you get two m***ed decks, sometimes you get one m***ed and one unm***ed. Watch out for gaff cards too, which will open up a whole new range of effects. Gaffs may include double-b***ed and/or double-f**ed cards. See individual sites or dealers for more information.

I've not mentioned which decks have o**-w** backs, but some do and some do not.

All cards are m***ed unless otherwise specified.

---

Beyond ESP 3
http://www.magicbox.uk.com/beyond-esp-2.html
[56 cards; plain backs; 6x gaffs; black and red backed cards (25 of each)]

Bicycle ESP cards*
http://www.usplayingcard.com
[25 cards; Playing card-style backs]

El Duco Anglo ESP cards*
http://www.el-duco.se
[54 cards; Playing card-style backs; 4x gaffs; m****ed and un****ed cards (25 of each)]

MK-MOD: ESP Testing Cards
http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod
[56 cards; Scientific-themed backs; 6x gaffs; m***ed and un****ed cards (25 of each)]

Phoenix Parlour ESP cards*
http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=74&lang=en&detail=true&Category=4&ArtID=169

PLF ESP M***ed Cards
http://www.p@r@l@bs.org**
[55 cards; Scientific-themed backs; 5x gaffs; white and blue backed cards (25 of each)]

Royal Magic ESP Deck
http://www.funinc.com
[25 cards; magic-style backs]

Vernet ESP Testing Deck
http://www.vernetmagic.com

---

* I've not seen these cards so the information has been taken from the manufacturer or reviewers and is not based on my personal observations.
** The URL has been obscured for reasons obvious to those who know the PL guys. Change the '@' signs for 'a' letters to find the site.

T.
I recommend trying different sets. It will involve some investment on your part but is well worth it if you are serious about ESP card work.

I own many, many sets and find they all have their own pros & cons. It will all depend on lighting, your eyesight, concern over spectators catching onto something, etc.

It also depends on how WELL you present and develop your ESP card routines. For example, I have never had anyone question my Royal decks. Yes, they look odd with the stars but I explain that the cards are the original ESP testing deck from Duke's Rhine Research center, etc. etc. The key is to use the cards as an extension of the effects and yourself so that they become a 'common' thing secondary to the paranormal phenomenon taking place.
I forgot to add... I only consider the physical quality of the cards (thinness & coating) if something I do will require a special move like a gl**e. Otherwise such a thing doesn't matter to me very much.
Personally, I don't think the backs of the Royal cards look odd or "magical" at all. Except for the white border, which facilitates certain moves, the backs are identical to the Rhine backs and are, thus, rather authentic to those familiar with the originals.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Yes, correct, Bob. And the design also incorporates a nice on* w** that some folks don't know is present.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 12:05, Magicus wrote:
Yes, correct, Bob. And the design also incorporates a nice on* w** that some folks don't know is present.
[/quote]

That is also true with the original Rhine backs.
Yes. I always wondered what the story was on that as it seems to have been purposely incorporated. It always struck me as unusual that this particular back design was part of the official testing cards Rhine used. Do you know if the printing company recommended this from some other existing back design in their array of backs or perhaps Rhine randomly selected this from a series of options? I've not come across something that was more than rumor on how these came to be.
Make your own:

http://www.lybrary.com/esp-signs-p-73582.html

You get professionally designed ESP symbols:

Circle
Cross
Wave
Square
Star (in two sizes)

One star version is geometrically the same size as the other symbols. Due to its shape it looks a bit smaller than the other symbols. The second star design is 20% larger to better match the overal appearance of the other symbols.

The files are vector files (SVG format). This means you can blow them up as much as you want without loosing resolution - great for jumbo or giant cards. Each symbol is available in 10 color background combinations. They are:

black on white background
blue on white background
green on white background
red on white background
yellow on white background
blue on black background
green on black background
red on black background
yellow on black background
white on black background

But that is not all you get. There is a lot more on the back side. First, you get the back in four colors: black, blue, red, and white (inverse of the black design). Second, you get a version of the back that is a subtle o**-**y version of the regular back. Third, you get a back version for each design that is m****d so that you can know from the back which design the card is. This is easy to read once you know what it is, but hard to spot when you don't know what to look for. And fourth, you get a version of the back for each sign that combines the m*****g and the o**-**y m*****g.

With these designs you can create literally hundreds of combinations of face, back, m****d or not. Additionally to the SVG files you get a PDF that gives you an overview of the available designs, as well as explains the clever m*****g system.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 12:00PM)
I agree about the Royal cards, actually. I think I've said as much in various other threads. I only wrote that they had magic-style backs because so many people on forums make that accusation. If I was marketing them I'd probably write, "Authentic-style backs" :)

Also, although the Royal cards lack gaffs as standard, Jeff Pierce sells them with two gaffs and a box [url=http://jeffpiercemagic.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=45]here[/url].

I am quite sure that one of the guys who prints his own cards does gaffs and boxes for the Royal Magic decks but I can't seem to find the details right now.

T.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 12:55, Magicus wrote:
Yes. I always wondered what the story was on that as it seems to have been purposely incorporated. It always struck me as unusual that this particular back design was part of the official testing cards Rhine used. Do you know if the printing company recommended this from some other existing back design in their array of backs or perhaps Rhine randomly selected this from a series of options? I've not come across something that was more than rumor on how these came to be.
[/quote]

Not sure, but my guess is that it was just an overlooked design flaw.

I have heard that the original run of Zener cards had the designs literally stamped on them which resulted in a slight embossing that could be seen from the back of the cards if they were viewed in cross lighting.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 12:04PM)
One more thing to note about Royal Magic ESP cards: If you have more than one deck compare the shades of blue. The colour control on the ones I have is so poor that you can spot which cards are from one deck and which belong to another. That could work to your advantage because normal people aren't going to notice such a small detail, but in good light the difference is pretty clear.

Always trying to look on the bright side :)
Uh oh, I think the three of us are getting into Inner Thoughts type stuff. Can we take it down there?
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 12, 2012 12:12PM)
Yes, I agree Bob.

Getting back to non-secret stuff, the Beyond ESP and MK-MOD cards are printed on the same stock by the same company (Fournier), so they handle like playing cards even if they don't look like playing cards. The Royal and Vernet cards are printed on much thinner stock (I think the Vernet ones are the flimsiest cards I've ever handled).

The PL cards are completely different - much thicker and nothing like playing cards.

T.
Yes, I think so.

Bob - Thanks for that info. I didn't know that.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 04:46, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
Actually, don't forget the Royal Magic ones, either. If Chris doesn't know the password to Paralabs, it seems that he is a beginner and might be better spending his money on the cheaper gear first, then upgrade to one of the premium* sets of ESP cards later.

* Beyond ESP; MK-MOD; Paralabs
[/quote]

I still carry 5 royals with me most times for my other job. They are nice and small taking up little room.
Here's another vote for Paralabs. It seems to me Rainier told me they have created some stage sized ESP cards as well. But I am getting pretty old and it's entirely possible I hallucinated the whole conversation.

David
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 14:12, David Thiel wrote:
Here's another vote for Paralabs. It seems to me Rainier told me they have created some stage sized ESP cards as well. But I am getting pretty old and it's entirely possible I hallucinated the whole conversation.

David
[/quote]

No, you weren't hallucinating. They do make a larger set. I have them and like them a lot.
Thanks for all that info Ted! That helped a lot!

Lyndel
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 13:12, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
The PL cards are completely different - much thicker and nothing like playing cards.
[/quote]

The paralabs cards are like a precision scientific instrument. I had no idea that any item made of cardboard could be manufactured to such exacting standards :)
I think a big pat on the back should go to Ted.

Rather than just pushing his own product, MOD decks, he has selflessly given info and access to all other available ESP cards.

Nice to see such gentlemanly behaviour and generosity of time and information.

Steve
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 13, 2012 07:13AM)
You are all very welcome. I'm just interested in the things, I guess. I wouldn't have had my own set made if I had a casual interest. And I guarantee that it's not about the money - these things are cripplingly expensive to have done properly!
As Michael Murray and I discussed just over a year ago, it's good that there's so much choice.
T.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 13, 2012 09:51AM)
I mentioned something about alternative card boxes. I now remember that they were available from: http://www.magicbycardmaker.com

Designed specifically for the Royal Magic cards (the boxes have the same back design on one side), these fit the MK-MOD cards as well as any other bridge-sized decks. That said, the link I had now fails and I can't locate the product on the site. Any news, Bernd?

And just to prove that, while being a gentleman, I'm not above some marketing :)...

It's worth noting that while the Royal Cards seem cheaper than most (they are around £7-£8 in the UK, with P&P inc), you only get one deck of 25 cards. The MK-MOD package contains two decks (£15.32 in the UK, inc P&P), so there's no real difference in the price per card. Plus, with the MK-MOD kit you get gaffs and a box :)

Cheers,
T.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 15, 2012 05:52PM)
Just today I discovered that Doctor Crow is a fan of the MK-MOD ESP testing cards. His endorsement appears in his most recent tome, The Resurrection of Doctor Crow (Bob Cassidy). This ebook, by the way, is very good.

You may think that my recommendation is biased, because DC recommends my MK-MOD ESP testing cards in one of his effects. However, this fact is simply evidence that the good Doctor has superior taste and vast quantities of valuable experience. Besides which, honestly-speaking, the lovely ESP routine included in The Resurrection looks fantastic, regardless of which cards are used.

By the way, DC is in good company. The MK-MOD cards are also owned by DB. I think we all know who I mean...*

T.

* But just in case not, I mean Derren Brown and not David Blaine. Although David might own them too. He ought to.
Couldn't resist. Ordered it.
Marked Thought the Bob Mason effect is a good one too.. that also appears on ETMMM vol 1 ( I think)
I really like the Anglo deck. Has a great look to it.
[quote]
On 2012-01-16 09:12, karlito wrote:
Marked Thought the Bob Mason effect is a good one too.. that also appears on ETMMM vol 1 ( I think)
[/quote]

I believe Bob originally sold this as MARKA-THOUGHT...

Julie
[quote]
On 2012-01-22 12:34, motown wrote:
[/quote]

I am supprised the ACLU hasn't sued to change the name of this deck.....

Bryn
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 01:46, corsufle wrote:
If you have no special needs, you can get an authentic ESP deck with a great pedigree here:

Paralabs cards will be better for some things, though. And maybe better overall.
[/quote]

I've tried several times to contact rhine.org but get no reply. Does anyone know much about them?

Mark
[quote]
On 2012-01-27 02:52, keeblem wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 01:46, corsufle wrote:

[/quote]

I've tried several times to contact rhine.org but get no reply. Does anyone know much about them?

Mark
[/quote]

Me neither. No reply.
The good and the bad.
Good: orginal zener cards are available again.
The Bad: $25 for 1 deck??
I wonder if they would sell me a dozen empty boxes.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 27, 2012 03:23AM)
I've tried on a number of occasions to contact them, with no success.
T.
Ask for Sally Rhine at Duke. :)
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (May 20, 2014 11:55AM)
There's a thread about ESP cards currently running in Inner Thoughts and, as usual, the Rhine.org cards are receiving good feedback.

Has anyone *recently* managed to contact someone at that site and obtained at least one deck?

T.
I sent a message to Sally Rhine Feather at Rhine research. She is looking into a problem they are currently having that relates to the Rhine shop and their website. This ia affects the potential purchase of products inkling the Rhine ESP cards.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (May 21, 2014 09:58AM)
I've contacted them a number of times over the years and never even received a response, so if you got a reply then you're doing well! :)
T.
For whatever reason I have had trouble with Beyond ESP 3 that I do not trust myself enough to use them. I am sure it is different for others
[quote]On May 22, 2014, jaymeswhite1219 wrote:
For whatever reason I have had trouble with Beyond ESP 3 that I do not trust myself enough to use them. I am sure it is different for others [/quote]

Although I find the beyond deck to be very clever, I was never able to really get onto them like others were. This is why I only use paralabs and Paul's Zener cards for my performances.
[quote]On Jan 26, 2012, mindhunter wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-01-22 12:34, motown wrote:
[/quote]

I am supprised the ACLU hasn't sued to change the name of this deck.....

Bryn [/quote]

Give them time. There's plenty of other things they've got their mitts in.

J
Old thread. New info.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=626570&forum=82
[quote]On Jan 12, 2012, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:

* Beyond ESP; MK-MOD; Paralabs [/quote]
I think your observation is brilliant! I am a beginner and I have the royal magic set and they are just as good. As recommended by annemann I keep them in a leather business card case. This keeps them preserved. They are perfect for what he is describing. They are mostly ungimmicked and they are cheap. In my opinion that is all you need for synchronicity type effects.
The Vernet ESP cards are a step-up from the Royal Magic set as the Vernet is very easy to read and the backs look a bit more "professional" IMO. Not expensive either when compared to some of the others discussed.

Julie
[quote]On Oct 12, 2016, Julie wrote:
The Vernet ESP cards are a step-up from the Royal Magic set as the Vernet is very easy to read and the backs look a bit more "professional" IMO. Not expensive either when compared to some of the others discussed.

Julie [/quote]

Agreed Julie. I like them a lot.
The Vernet cards are great.
[quote]On Oct 12, 2016, Julie wrote:

Julie [/quote]

Forgive me, but I find their playing card-like backs illogical.
If only the backs could have the words "ESP Testing Material"! :cheering:
[quote]On Oct 15, 2016, Alan Wheeler wrote:
If only the backs could have the words "ESP Testing Material"! :cheering: [/quote]

Would it be helpful to have those words printed on the box? It would be relatively easy to cover a printed piece of paper with clear package sealing tape and permanently affix this to the outside of the box...

Julie
Thanks, Julie. I do like the Vernet cards but was doing a cheer for Neil and alluding to his cards that look more appropriate for psychology lab work. They do have those words on the back! :cheering:
I never leave the house without Paul Carnazzo's (two sets) of Zenner cards in my wallet. And that's in large part, why- two five-card sets fit easily in my wallet. The backs are very simple, and very deceptive.
[quote]On Oct 16, 2016, Alan Wheeler wrote:
Thanks, Julie. I do like the Vernet cards but was doing a cheer for Neil and alluding to his cards that look more appropriate for psychology lab work. They do have those words on the back! :cheering: [/quote]

GOTCA Alan :)

Julie
[quote]On Oct 16, 2016, Julie wrote:
[quote]On Oct 16, 2016, Alan Wheeler wrote:
Thanks, Julie. I do like the Vernet cards but was doing a cheer for Neil and alluding to his cards that look more appropriate for psychology lab work. They do have those words on the back! :cheering: [/quote]

GOTCA Alan :)
[/quote]

Hahaha! Thanks, Alan!

Julie, here's a link to my deck(s), which I developed to answer a need for more authentic-looking, practical, and versatile cards.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7402
For those who missed it in Inner Thoughts, here's a fantastic ESP deck review that popped up recently.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=82&topic=626570&start=30#6
Here's a link to my symbol deck

http://www.benblaumentalism.com/zeneration-x.html

Also, a review:

ZENERATION-X - Ben Blau
ę on: November 10, 2016, 05:47:54 AM Ľ
ReplyQuote
BEN BLAU
ZENERATION X
Suggested Retail Price:$30 ($40 OUTSIDE CONTINENTAL USA)
http://marketplaceofthemind.com/products/zenerati.html/

CLICK ON THIS TO PURCHASE

THE BLURB:
This special deck of cards for psychics and mentalists is like no other testing deck on the market right now. The deck consists of fifty blank-backed cards: ten symbols in each of five colors - red, blue, black, green, yellow. The uses for this deck are limited only by your imagination.

**JHEFFíS GUIDE**

WHAT IT IS:
A deck of fifty cards with ten symbols in each of five colors.

WHATíS NOT INCLUDED THAT YOU NEED OR NEED TO KNOW:
There is no instruction booklet with routines. You get just the deck. You'll have to create your own routines and uses for this.

SUITABLE VENUES:
Close-up, Walkaround, Parlour

JHEFFíS JUDGMENT:
This is a deck of ten simple shapes in each of five colors for a total of fifty cards. If you are like me, and like practical and versatile tools for which you can craft your own routines, then I highly recommend this as a great source of inspiration and a challenge to figure out a stunningly effective use for this.

**MY COMMENTS**
This is not a gimmicked deck, unless you consider the design itself. This is a deck of ten simple shapes in each of five colors for a total of fifty cards. Ben Blau has not put together a booklet of routines, but most professional mentalists can probably come up some wonderful and effective ideas for this.

Some may be asking if this is similar to Sean Taylor's SYMBOLOGY DECK, which is, at the time of writing, discontinued and out of print. It is similar in that there are different colors instead of suits and symbols for values. But the similarity really stops there. These are not marked. They are blank-backed. And the SYMBOLOGY deck was an alternative to actual deck of playing cards, meaning that there were thirteen values and four different colors, as opposed to ZENERATION-X which has ten values or symbols and five colors. The deck comes in a white, unmarked box, but you can certainly use your own box.

If you are like me, and like practical and versatile tools for which you can craft your own routines, then I highly recommend this as a great source of inspiration and a challenge to figure out a stunningly effective use for this.
A new five-star review just showed up on Penguin for the HOME system, calling the cards "definitely a must-have for the paranormal performer." Check it out for yourself.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7402#reviews
Oh, and a quick point of clarification: Ben's symbol deck, of which I've heard excellent things, has no secret markings. The HOME system does. Different tools for different needs.
Neil's cards look great and I will be checking them out. I know as soon as I say Tenyo many here will check out... but their new Hyper ESP Cards have an interesting marking system that I have not seen before. I can read the marks from 8 - 10 feet but up close difficult for the spectator to see anything. I will be using these for effects where I want to be at a distance from the spectator. Great that there are many options to consider/use... and I think I own most of them :)

Cheers,

John
Both Ben and Neil's sets look amazing. Well done gentlemen.
Without going into too much detail on an open forum I'll just say that the HOME system and decks by Neil Tobin are excellent.

I've been looking for a coloured deck of ESP cards that don't have a "magicians prop" look and these fit the bill perfectly. They handle well, look great and the certain something about them is incredibly well done.

I managed to give these a real road test this weekend for paying clients and was very pleased with the cards. They don't arouse suspicion as they look as you would imagine a deck of ESP symbols to look without the playing card backs. There's an authentic feel about them.

Everything about this deck is quality including the instructions. These fit my needs perfectly.

Regards

David
I actually have been waiting for a set of "Beyond ESP" decks from Murry.. they are out of stock.
These should fit the bill nicely.
I like David Thiel's thinking on usage.
[quote]On Nov 23, 2016, Necromancer wrote:
A new five-star review just showed up on Penguin for the HOME system, calling the cards "definitely a must-have for the paranormal performer." Check it out for yourself.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7402#reviews [/quote]

Neil, HOME sweet HOME. Great system! Luc.
Love the Anglo Esp Cards, once I got those, I started using them in place of all my other decks

Anglo ESP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QMTUHuXGk

ESP Origins is easily my second favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1QFDzFDvog

Beyond ESP - these are much harder to read but the book is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OotcnpnpuEc
[quote]On Feb 11, 2017, DavidKenney wrote:
Love the Anglo Esp Cards, once I got those, I started using them in place of all my other decks
ESP Origins is easily my second favorite
Beyond ESP - these are much harder to read but the book is awesome[/quote]

My problem with the Anglo ESP cards and others of its ilk is that they have back designs that look like they were lifted directly from playing cards -- a far cry from the laboratory for which the Zener deck was created, and whose credibility I feel it should invoke. The back design for ESP Origins is a bit better, but so complicated that it practically telegraphs it's hiding something. Much better esthetically are the Beyond ESP cards, but its system didn't suit: I needed cards which could be read far more easily and reliably without viewing the entire back.

That's why I developed my HOME system.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7402

But you know: different strokes for different folks. ;)
The new Tenyo cards are pretty nice if you are in a parlor type environment, reading the cards from 4 or more feet away.
They also resemble the Rhine cards except the back has dots in a uniform pattern in place of stars. The blue backings color is similar, and the box is modeled after the Rhine box.
Necromancer's card looks great, I will consider buying it. I would also suggest buying a copy of beyond esp 3 as long as it is still available
I second Necromancer's cards. The BEST esp deck I've used. The systems in place are genius, easy to spot, and they look like what they are.... esp testing cards, not magicians playing cards like so many of the ones listed in this thread. If you are a magician doing a magic trick, those are fine, but if you want realism in your act, then you cannot do better than these cards. I have really enjoyed putting them to use in the last few months.

-Eli
I want Phill Smith to hurry up with his, using his fave current 'method'
NEW review just in from Genii magazine (March 2017) for the HOME system:
"The quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market." Wow!
Are the Tenyo cards easily readable on close up situation too?
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Apr 19, 2017 07:21AM)
[quote]On Apr 19, 2017, Recoplon wrote:
Are the Tenyo cards easily readable on close up situation too? [/quote]

Not really.
Are the MOD MK ESP cards still available anywhere? The link to the website is dead. Also. Simon has no PM on the Cafť. Anyone have any contact info for him?

By the way, I bought the Tenyo ESP deck and after a few hours of playing around, I could read them close up. It is an optical/brain hack type of thing. The six to eight feet distance is pretty easy and visible. So if you want the best of both worlds, you can make it work.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (May 9, 2017 04:46AM)
Hi Dr Art,

They are still available but as the site more or less says, "Just send us an email (si {@} mind.hak.me) and we'll reply as soon as possible."

I'd be very happy to share more details over email.

Best wishes,
Si
Michael Murray, has the latest version of Beyond ESP, launching. Fantastic cards and can be read from a spread ;)
Hi Simon,

I did try sending you an email directly from a cut and paste in your post excluding the outer parenthesis and it got an error message as not a valid address. It does look like a pretty odd email configuration. It has weird parenthesis inside the email address also, that does not look very conforming.

If you could pm me some other email address that would reach you, that would be helpful.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (May 9, 2017 07:42AM)
You'd also need to exclude the spaces and {} brackets, which are not valid in an email address.

Best wishes,
T
[quote]On May 8, 2017, Dr Art wrote:
Are the MOD MK ESP cards still available anywhere? The link to the website is dead. Also. Simon has no PM on the Cafť. Anyone have any contact info for him?

By the way, I bought the Tenyo ESP deck and after a few hours of playing around, I could read them close up. It is an optical/brain hack type of thing. The six to eight feet distance is pretty easy and visible. So if you want the best of both worlds, you can make it work. [/quote]

I have Simons cards & just love them. They meet (& exceed) my criteria to be easy & quick to read close up (tabled), & in varying light conditions. No one has noticed the markings - & that includes a couple of magician friends. :)
Quick note about the HOME ESP cards: they are also available in KEM-quality durable plastic by custom order. Details in this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=626570&start=0
These cards are excellent. I took some fine grit sandpaper to the card box and took off the gloss. Used a pencil to label the box as if it had been a catalogued item in a research lab. Created a "property of" stamp to complete the look of an item owned by a research lab known for conducting psi experiments. Aged the card edges with an off-white marker. They look amazingly authentic now, as if well-handled over the years, and I keep them with my 1st edition copy of the book about the Rhine experiments (abebooks.com). I bring these all out to introduce The Artifactum (Gemini Artifacts) by Alchemy Moon. Artifactum is based on the Zener cards but look like an ancient magical artifact. Wonderful combination. Highly recommend Necromancer's set.
My cards arrived from Penguin today, I broke out the old typewriter and made a label for the box. Looking forward to trying these out.
I love the resurgence of Zener interest of late. Great design and improved features have made effects even more practical. I am nearing completion on my release regarding Zener work. I am truly proud of these routines and am confident that owners of Michael's, Neil's, Ted's or anyone else's sets will have effects (I hope you agree) that are worthy of their use. "Not Just a River in Deutschland" has routines from the ridiculously simple to elaborate, but workable. I am confident that you will find something you love.
Nice!
All of the ESP effects from Waters that I have read are great, very much looking forward to the book.

I love his cards too, not sure if they're going to be available again, but they are great. Besides having a great design, they are extremely sturdy too, the 10 that I keep in my wallet are still in great shape.
Wow, great to hear Sean. Look forward to the book!
Are these only available from penguin? Any uk dealers got them?
I needed a special thing, so I just designed and printed my own at http://www.makeplayingcards.com.
[quote]On Aug 24, 2017, ed wood wrote:
Are these only available from penguin? Any uk dealers got them? [/quote]

The HOME system is only available from Penguin; custom plastic sets can only be ordered directly from me.
Anglo esp cards by el duco
I bought a set of Neil's plastic HOME ESP cards; actually, I bought two sets.

I can report that the plastic cards are exquisite. If you consider this more durable option, do NOT think of "plastic" as we first experienced in the 1970's, or whenever. This is a higher-tech refined plastic.

And do not think "laminated" in the sense of Neil simply laminating the regular card stock; which would be fine, but the deck would be thicker. There are NOT thicker; they fit in the same box as the regular HOME ESP card set.

A plastic set costs about $20 more, but more than worth it if you value durability.

George
[quote]On Sep 10, 2017, George Hunter wrote:

I can report that the plastic cards are exquisite. If you consider this more durable option, do NOT think of "plastic" as we first experienced in the 1970's, or whenever. This is a higher-tech refined plastic.

And do not think "laminated" in the sense of Neil simply laminating the regular card stock; which would be fine, but the deck would be thicker. There are NOT thicker; they fit in the same box as the regular HOME ESP card set.

A plastic set costs about $20 more, but more than worth it if you value durability.

George [/quote]

I'm glad you're so happy with them! Thank you.
Late to this party. My vote is for the Anglo ESP cards.
Https://e5pdeck.blogspot.com/

This one is a new one from my friend Pablo Amira. I has a great an easy double marking system.
Https://www.darpayment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ESP-Zener-Cards-Template.pdf
Oh and btw if you choose to print your own cards, on a blank card stock, I can tell you how to mark the cards so that you don't even, have to see them.
[quote]On Mar 24, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Oh and btw if you choose to print your own cards, on a blank card stock, I can tell you how to mark the cards so that you don't even, have to see them. [/quote]

Would you please teach us how?
[quote]On Mar 24, 2019, rockbrunnen wrote:
Oh and btw if you choose to print your own cards, on a blank card stock, I can tell you how to mark the cards so that you don't even, have to see them. [/quote]

Would you please teach us how? [/quote]

PM sent. Enjoy.
[quote]On Mar 24, 2019, rockbrunnen wrote:

Would you please teach us how? [/quote]

PM sent. Enjoy. [/quote]

Thank you very much!
That idea is simple but, as far as I know, there are no decks on market using that marking.
I think I will make one myself!
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Feb 17, 2020 10:23AM)
[quote]On May 9, 2017, Dr Art wrote:
[/quote]

... Time passes...

And the website is back!

(You heard it here first.)

Sorry, everyone, for being away for so many years. I've been a bit busy but now have help in place to handle the massive volumes of orders that are no doubt about to come my way : )

Cheers,
T.
[quote]On Feb 17, 2020, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
[quote]On May 9, 2017, Dr Art wrote:
[/quote]

... Time passes...

And the website is back!

(You heard it here first.)

Sorry, everyone, for being away for so many years. I've been a bit busy but now have help in place to handle the massive volumes of orders that are no doubt about to come my way : )

Cheers,
T. [/quote]

Ah, nice! my timing was good, just ordered a set of MOD MK ESP cards
[quote]On Sep 26, 2017, Necromancer wrote:

George [/quote]

I'm glad you're so happy with them! Thank you. [/quote]

Just got my copy of neils plastic esp cards and itís probably the best deck of cards Iíve owned.
Go to Theory 11, get a deck of gold "Tycoon" cards ($10). Then, hop over to walmart & get a bottle of acetone (paint/polish/ink/other coatings remover) ($2).

Rub off the faces of 5 cards (I'd recommend the Aces, since there's less ink to remove.), and add your symbols.

Now mark the backs.

All together, it's going to be ~$15 & 30 minutes of work for 5 cards. But you've got a whole deck of very nice-looking.... which from the back, don't-look-like-playing-cards... cards.

I've found that the "rider back" cards are commonly associated with magic tricks. But if you get one of these 'different decks', like archangels, tycoon, architect, etc., rub off the faces, and put something else on the card, the audience doesn't associate "card tricks" with whatever you are doing. i.e.: if you want to use cards in mentalism, just don't use cards that everyone is familiar with.

I'll make a video of how I mark the backs (will post on this website by tomorrow) + a marking system for archangel cards: https://skywardmagic.com/free-magic-and-mentalism/

Tom
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Oct 2, 2021 12:03PM)
A few years ago, I started collecting various decks of Zener cards. I can tell you which marked decks are easiest to read to the trained eye while still remaining deceptive to the untrained.
[quote]On Oct 1, 2021, khuzhai wrote:
[quote]On Sep 26, 2017, Necromancer wrote:

George [/quote]

I'm glad you're so happy with them! Thank you. [/quote]

Just got my copy of neils plastic esp cards and itís probably the best deck of cards Iíve owned. [/quote]

TREMENDOUS! Khuzhai, you just made my day :)
For many years my Beyond ESP deck was the go to deck for countless performers (we sold over 18,000 decks). More recently I re-evaluated and improved the marking system and created my Naked ESP deck. These are available in both plastic and superior smooth card stocks. The design is very minimalist (just a simple boarder on the backs) unlike my Beyond ESP deck there is no longer a need to count the corners you can instantly identify each card, even from a spread condition. Not only that, you can also instantly locate any symbol from within the spread too. These also come with the usual gimmicked cards (double face/back etc) and these fakes also include a brand new ESP card gimmick that opens up a huge range of possibilities.

Here is the link for those that wish to check them out -

https://www.mindfx.co.uk/products/naked-esp?_pos=1&_sid=4969db6d1&_ss=r

Best Wishes Michael
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Oct 4, 2021 09:04AM)
Inevitably, when these threads are revived, I receive orders for the MK-MOD ESP Test Cards.

I've just noticed that they are 10 years old.

Thanks for your support over the last decade, folks!

(And great to see some familiar faces still contributing :) )

Cheers,
T.
A quick shout out for these ESP cards:-

https://blackcatmagic.co.uk/product/black-cat-magic-esp-card-white-multi/

One-way design, subtle and clever marking system, and they handle absolutely beautifully.

Top notch, and the creator is a very nice, helpful guy.

Best wishes to all and a great thread!!!

Steve
Sorry to everyone who was expecting the marking system last Sunday. My neighbor got attacked & I was a witness.... so it was a weird weekend.

Anyway, I AM making the video.
Here we go, bottom of Page 7: https://skywardmagic.com/free-magic-and-mentalism/

The DIY ESP deck, and the Archangel Deck marking systems.

Sorry for the wait, gents. Been busy putting together my "Infernal Crystal" product, but it's ready now :D

Tom
Iíve done so in another thread, but here it is again.

Iíve been collecting various ESP decks, books and routines for years, and you are all welcome to browse the entire collection.

Feel free to ask questions about anything you see. Items with (m) in the titles are marked. Decks with that (m) are not marked.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6R-NQSGnmWJeV9oVXAyNnNSOE0?resourcekey=0-pr61LDULSO41XHA8AMafGw
DonB, that is fantastic.
Thank you for sharing.

Jerry
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Oct 23, 2021 09:39AM)
[quote]On Oct 20, 2021, DonB! wrote:
Iíve done so in another thread, but here it is again.

Iíve been collecting various ESP decks, books and routines for years, and you are all welcome to browse the entire collection.

Feel free to ask questions about anything you see. Items with (m) in the titles are marked. Decks with that (m) are not marked.

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6R-NQSGnmWJeV9oVXAyNnNSOE0?resourcekey=0-pr61LDULSO41XHA8AMafGw [/quote]

You win. And here I thought my collection was impressive. Can I have dibs on your decks when you pass? ;-)
Wow!!! Don B, that is a VERY impressive collection!!!!
Michael, Iím flattered that you are impressed. Your Mentalism output has played a big part in my own studies of Mentalism.

Philemon, would you care to share any others that you have that I might be missing? Iíd love to see some others that I donít have.

DonB!
Donís Magic & Books
www.donsmagicandbooks.com