(Close Window)
Topic: Romantic Mentalism
Hi All

I've been invited to perform at a charity show. My audience will be primarily approx 250 13-18yr old school pupils and approx 100 adults. I've just found out the theme is love and romance (as it's close to Valentine's day.) I've got a 5 min (approx) spot. Any suggestions for an appropriate routine?

Derek
Look up Derren Brown: Zamiel's Rose. Its a card trick but should suit the theme very well.
Hope this helps!
I have an effect in Devious Realities (it was released on valentines day so I thought what the hell)

This effect has a poetic feel to it. There is no stronger feeling than love and I really feel
that when I perform this piece, as does the couple participating in the effect. So many
effects having to do with couples rely on cards. This is a romantic and rather oldfashioned,
lovely, bit of mentalism.

“Some people believe love is a virtue, representing all of human kindness, compassion
and affection. Others see love as the basis for all being. As Emerson stated, what lies
behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

The performer invites a couple to participate whom he has never met before. The
performer asks the names of the couple and writes these on a Post-it note. The Post-it
note is stuck to the front of a bag that has been in full view from the start.

The performer asks the feminine partner to remove a rose from the bag as that is a gift
to them from the performer. The performer turns next to the masculine partner and says

“Coincidence is a funny thing. People might say that it is a coincidence the way you met
your partner, the way you fell in love or even your decision to come to this show this
very evening together. I disagree with coincidence. I think everything happens for a
reason. I see such things as destiny. Destiny is the reason that you and your partner
met, fell in love and why you came to this show together this evening. You might doubt
that, but please reach into the bag...there is a gift in there for you too.”

From the bag is removed a paper heart. The performer asks what is written on this
heart. Written on the heart are the coupleʼs initials...just as they might have once carved
on a tree or written on an old-fashioned Valentine card!

Its a reworking of an old principle, but it creates a really nice moment! No S***I!
Message: Posted by: Mentally Unstable (Jan 12, 2012 06:42AM)
Do as I do can be presented with a great.romantic theme...

M.U
Also check out Paul Brook's 'Juxtapose'. You can buy the ebook from his website.

Ross :)
Any do as I do style thing can work, most drawing dupes and things like Name/Place can be turned into something more romantic with a slight shift in theme.
Derek

A PK Touches routine based around synchronicity, maybe even theme Osterlinds watch routine with a "couple" theres bound to be a pair of young lovers in that audience...One can think of a time to go on a date, the other can set the time. When they both match voila true love! lol
There is a great routine called "The Way to a Womans Heart" by David Thiel in his e-book "Pendulum Magic: A Guide for Mystery Performers"
I have an idea which I use in my show, I will PM you.
You can use a any card at any number for this too. Just present it with a couple one naming the card, the other the number. you could do a dead or alive test with their lover instead of a dead person...
Hahahah yep... NOTHING promotes the mood of romance like a good acaan!!! .... feeling all warm and tingly just thinking about it.
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 11:43, Paul Shirley wrote:
Hahahah yep... NOTHING promotes the mood of romance like a good acaan!!! .... feeling all warm and tingly just thinking about it.
[/quote]

if you script it right it can be.
Name/Place
Message: Posted by: Mentally Unstable (Jan 12, 2012 01:09PM)
Face/Hand

lol couldn't resist

;)

M.U
First kiss piece?
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 09:26, looch wrote:
Derek

A PK Touches routine based around synchronicity, maybe even theme Osterlinds watch routine with a "couple" theres bound to be a pair of young lovers in that audience...One can think of a time to go on a date, the other can set the time. When they both match voila true love! lol
[/quote]

I second the pk touch routine, perfect for a couple!

Kieran
[quote]
On 2012-01-12 09:23, bevbevvybev wrote:
Any do as I do style thing can work, most drawing dupes and things like Name/Place can be turned into something more romantic with a slight shift in theme.
[/quote]

I have done this at a Valentine's Day gig and it worked great.
Luke Jermay has an effect with a Rose which may be usable if you change up the presentation a bit. I'm performing at an upcoming wedding, so I'm looking for some presentation tips for that as well, to add some romance into my set.

Oooh, I just thought of something... not really on for a High School, but it may be workable if you are performing for a couple who has been together for a while. You basically do a Name/Place routine only the Name is the date they had their first kiss, and the place is where they had it. So to the male (assuming a heterosexual couple) "Can you remember the date when the two of you first kissed? No, that's alright... well you may get in trouble later for that, but it's alright for me. Go ahead and ask her if you need to. You remember now? Great. Please write that date on this card, fold it, and hold on to it." to the lady "Would you please do the same thing, only instead of writing the date write the place, such as at the fair or in your parents bedroom while they were out of town."

Then proceed with a Name/Place routine.

Hope that helps,

Peace
Charles
Banachek did a great pk touch routine with a couple at his lecture. It can definitely be emotional and very powerful.
1. A couple connects his thoughts, drawing the same in a pad.

2. Both synchronize minds and ideomotor response

3. One thought of the nickname of his couple, and the other found the card in which his couple wrote his thought.
"Cut to the Heart" from The Wizards' Journal #8 (on my site).
Lincoln has a whole ebook on Romantic Mentalism. It can be found here: http://www.lincolnworld.com/products/
I'm definitely interested in that.
Try "A S'lie Open Prediction". It is the bonus presentation at the back of S'lie (Book Four in the Act-Series). The script already involves a recollection of a guest's first date so it would do well for that theme.

Cheers,
Mick
Is not 5 min too short for mentalism!!!

I remember buying a trick many years ago and got a DVD called 'Flirting with magic'. Rather silly, really, but I did get some ideas from that DVD that I have used later for special occations (e.g the levitating ring). Others I have not tried (e.g the levitating pen... ehm).

Seriously: I have used "Great for two book test" (Richard Webster) many times for couples. A masterpiece.

Secondly: I was at the London Magic Castle a year ago or so, and a couple demonstrated how to cut a paper into two rings interlinked. I have used this SO many times since!!!! Wish I'd remember their names. I owe them a big THANK YOU!

Endre
Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. This certainly gave me a lot of romantic food for thought.
Derek
[quote]
On 2012-01-15 14:06, ELima wrote:
Secondly: I was at the London Magic Castle a year ago or so, and a couple demonstrated how to cut a paper into two rings interlinked. I have used this SO many times since!!!! Wish I'd remember their names. I owe them a big THANK YOU!

Endre
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it's the same version, but here's how to cut Möbius strips so that you get two linked hearts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuUtAWtbVHo

It's not mentalism per se, but it could certainly add atmosphere to a mentalism performance.
I've got a routine that I love to perform for couples, I always start off with a simple ESP test. No gimmicks or tricks, just a plain and simple test where one choose an ESP symbol and transmits it to the other partner. You can use some verbal nudges if you wanted to, I don't, I find it interesting justu how often this hits (far more than the 1 in 5 chance would suggest) and when it does it, the reactions are great.

I'll then go on to a few other effects, a think of a dream holiday location where both think of the same place and usually finish up with PK touches.