(Close Window)
Topic: Girlfriends on the stage?
Just saw a mentalism act (kind of) utilizing the performers girlfriend. Nice girl, cute couple but just horrid!!!!! I'm sure the fringe benefits are just dandy but man is this bad for business.
I agree, keep family and business seperate. Bad things tend to happen when family is incuded in business.
Yikes.
On the other hand, there are a few code acts that thrive on the intimacy of being a couple.
[quote]
On 2012-01-17 04:18, rowdymagi5 wrote:
I agree, keep family and business seperate. Bad things tend to happen when family is incuded in business.
[/quote]

That's an overly broad and inaccurate generalization. There are many successful family partnerships in this business.

But I agree with Dave to the extent that using someone as an assistant [i]just because[/i] she is your girlfriend is not a good idea.

Good thoughts,

Bob
I think if you can, it'd be great to be able to work with your partner. I've tried to do it but being married to a burly, 6ft tall Scotsman with the elegance and finesse of a Rhino, it really didn't work.
My wife and I work together and separately. It's great. People say we have good chemistry on stage. We also share the bill when we're on stage together. It's not a headliner and an assistant.
I work my my wife Rebecca and we have a "duo act" which works great.
Something that you can do ONLY with your wife...takes toooo long to rehears
:)
My wife was a performer when I met her so the transition to a duo act was easy. I guess it's harder to bring someone into an act if they weren't into performing to begin with.
Hey, it was early when I replied, but after some thought, yes, I can see and actually know many who have made it work and work well.

I happen to know personally one "act" that literally fell apart in a bad way when they had marital problems and it followed them on stage as well as off. But that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
Charles Pecor and his wife work together secretly for a drawing duplication. Read it in Banachek's Psycological Subtelties Book1.
Most great code acts are married couples. This isn't that. More exposure than a Jr. High kid giving it away on youtube.. IT JUST TORE ME UP!
Falkenstein and Willard, The Evasons, Kalin and Jinger, The Piddingtons, The Pendragons and many others seem to have made it work Slim.

If the couple you saw stunk, they stunk. Be grateful they're a team. Otherwise we might have TWO acts that stink!
Pendragons...lol... but you've made my point quite well. Theses entertainers are committed, not just adding a little sex appeal to the show...... It was just depressing. Rocket is right about keeping it all in one place.... Confusion is NOT Mentalism....lol
Dave, I know you were taken for like ten bucks by some Wank-O doing a show
with some chick that might be ‘OK’ for adult fun but beyond that is stretching her
skill set and his as an entertainer.

Why not let others know who this abysmal Scrote is.

J ack
2 words. Yoko. Ono.
Is that what they call it were you are Paul?
Not sure I should slag another performer on this forum but man it is tempting to save others from making a similar mistake. I was with Don Theo at the time and he told me the guy stole a great deal of his act but his acting was so bad even his thievery didn't save him. I certainly want people to continue to support the venue, but this gives Mentalism a real bad name. Much of my back story is fabrication to help the Laymen step beyond the veil, but this guy just lied to appear legit with other magicians, when in reality it was a bigger falsehood than MY invented history. Just Crazy ... I'm conflicted!
I learned a great lesson from the show. Treat your audience members with respect and they will do the same for you.

The opposite is also true.
[quote]
On 2012-01-17 20:19, Paul Shirley wrote:
2 words. Yoko. Ono.
[/quote]

lol ;)
Yoko saddled up with one of the most talented performers in the world... this wasn't that.