(Close Window)
Topic: Rabbit wringler help
Hey everyone,I NEED HELP. I'm working on a rabbit wringer box it a lot bigger then most.now I built the box already all I'm having trouble with is the roller the main thing you use to bring out the flat picture,i drilled a hole through the sides of the front part and a have a metal rod that fits through the side but I cant get the rod and the roller to
become one as in spinning together is there Any advice I can get here?

Thanks Henry sorry for any typos did this on my phone
Isn't there supposed to be a handle on the side with gears attached?
Sounds like you are trying to get one roller, that you turn, to press hard against the other and cause it to also turn.

Don't.

Two ways to do this. Either have the rollers connected by gears, as Chance mentioned (less friction and more decisive action), or have them operate like the "money maker" machines, connected by the same type of secret "thing". The second method would be the easiest.
I had to build another Rabbit Wringer because my first rabbit got too big for the one I bought. I have now bought a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit. Anyway, I used the Wringer I had bought as a model and built my bigger one, one and a half times bigger. It used the one wringer method so that is what I copied. I covered both rollers with a canvas material. Also You need to have both rollers as close as possible to each other for them to work.
I have a video on youtube of both wringers in operation in a Do as I Do routine with me and my Grand-daughter each producing a bunny.
Hey guys thanks for the reply,but I think Ima have to take a picture of this so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm talking about I post up a pic tonight on my way to start some shows
Pictures would help a lot. Also if you can describe what you are using for rollers that would be helpful in solving your dilemma. It sounds like (after several readings of the OP) you need a way to couple the extended shaft to the driving roller. Detailed pics of the two parts you want to connect would be extremely helpful.
I re-read the OP, too. It sounds like the rod is free-spinning in the roller and you need a way to lock it. I'll wait for the photos.
I built the two rollers in a channel, and then I have springs that tension pull the upper roller down against the lower one.

Then the felt bunny gets threaded between the tension rollers.

I will try to post some pics, my rabbit wringer was one of the toughest projects ever.
You guys are trying for realism on what is essentially a stage prop. I use two paper towel cardboard tubes (painted with stripes) mounted loosely (very loosely) on two dowels and a ratchet crank that is connected to nothing in particular. Then I make the ratchet noise as I crank it with one hand and pull out a felt flat rabbit with the other hand from between the cardboard tubes. The stripes make it possible to see that they are moving. When I have finished pulling out the felt rabbit, I stop cranking the ratchet noise maker and hold up my flat rabbit. Who cares what made it flat? It SEEMS that it was rolled flat by rollers. That's all that counts in a stage prop.
Here are some pictures

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer1.jpg

This is the matching wringer and the magic slate box

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer2.jpg
http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer3.jpg

Some pics of the slate box and interior. You can open just the top for a petting box.

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer4.jpg

Interior of the rabbit wringer, this setup provides the same room and a more comfortable position for the bunny.

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer5.jpg

The thick felt bunny. I had lots of trouble finding that felt!

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer6.jpg
http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer7.jpg

The wringer mechanism. This is made of acrylic, aluminum and brass. The springs hold the top neoprene roller down. You can also see the magnetic door latch. The whole unit is removable.

http://www.dreamfactory.com/magic/wringer8.jpg

Here is the felt bunny loaded, close the magnetic door and you are ready to go!
That's some pretty impressive engineering! :)

John
Hey guys so sorry for the late reply.ok Michael is right that's exactly what happening.and Bill that prop is beautiful
Here is a pic
Another pic
Now I'm using paint rollers as the main roller part a metal rod And the end of a paint roller the plastic parts that keep the roller from falling off only one roller spins on my prop the other roller is glued stuck so tension is use to bring the paper out when spined.i use paper so the kid can keep the animal.i just can't get the rod and the roller to become one
Sorry I posted 2 of the same pics
And this is how the prop is suppose to look

btw I did this on my phone so sorry for all the posts
If it makes you feel any better, I have years of experience making things that don't work. I'm rather an expert at it, I hate to think.

Part of the problem is trying to modify an existing item, instead of building something designed for the purpose needed. The bigger problem is that it sometimes takes a battery of tools to build complex things from scratch. Inexperienced builders either don't have the necessary tools, or don't know how to use them.

I could probably design a working version of what you need, but by the time I'd do that, I might as well just make the entire prop and sell it. I also see no need to over-complicate your project with one detail.

So instead, let's look at what you have at hand right now. Although some people might suggest this, I don't think it would work (at least not for long) to try and epoxy the parts together. You could try, because even if it didn't work, the worst off you'd be is where you are right now. Other solutions would be at least as complicated as making the device from the ground up.

But thinking on something you said, and what Spellbinder mentioned, you can probably just fake the action. As long as one of the rollers is a dummy, you might as well let the other one be the same. All you have to do is turn the crank with one hand, and pull the flat rabbit out with the other. It will simulate what you are supposedly doing enough to get the premise over on the audience. Hopefully, you'll have them focusing on the poor bunny, and not the rollers! ;) Point up the effect, not the device that performs it.
It looks like you assemble the wringer by inserting the crank through one side of the box, then the roller and finally through the opposite side of the box. Unfortunately, this coupled with the use of paint roller parts, severely limits the possibilities for solving the problem.

The only thing I can thik of that might work is to get a small gear or pulley that has a set screw to secure it to the shaft. Drill two holes opposite one another, through the flat face of the gear and thread it for two small screws. Matching holes can then be added to the roller end cap so the screws fit in and can drive the roller. Assemble the whole mechanism with the gear on the outside between where the set screw is accessable then tighten the set screw. This should give you a driven roller. You will probably want to flatten an area on the shaft for the set screw so it is less likely to slip.

I hope that makes sense.
There is another issue that may come up after this one. The rollers need to be firmly pressed together to have enough friction to crank out the rabbit. BUT they also need to have enough give to thread the rabbit through in the first place. I couldn't just attach the rollers near to each other and get the right tolerance to do both.

I ended up using springs to hold the top roller down against the bottom one. The top roller travels in a vertical channel that gives it some play. That also provides the "give" to thread the rabbit. Below the rollers the rabbit is rolled up on an aluminum bar to avoid jamming.

Don't worry, this is definitely easier than building a scale replica of the Great Pyramid or launching your own Space Shuttle.
Yea to much work.ill just act like there. Spinning and pull it out make life easy and I use the wringler not just to squash the animal I have a whole routine based around it. Person picks a card and my macaw trys to find the card and I put him inside for privacy and he throws cards out and he comes out flat with the card In mouth..
I think you'll find that the presentation can far outweigh the prop. It sounds like a fun routine with the bird.
It's really a Macaw Wringer? Why didn't you say so! That's a lot simpler to make. :)

This does sound like a good routine.

Here is where I got my felt, this was 30 bucks:

http://www.Grainger.com
Felt Sheet, F5, 1/8 In Thick, 24 x 24 In
Thanks a lot guys. Your help was very much welcome.its really a nice routine once you see it.Im also looking for a jumbo forcing deck and a jumbo card shooter anybody know where I can get this at..

thanks
Henry
And bill thanks for the link but I think my best bet is printing on paper the kid can keep the bird pic and if I print on felt I believe I would be broke after 5 shows. . :) But if I get a good price and my cost comes down to $5 a felt with print I would deffently give the felt away
It doesn't have to be felt, just because everyone else has been ending with a felt rabbit (or bird). Do an iron-on on a white cotton handkerchief, or a white t-shirt, or a white silk.

For iron-on transfers from your ink-jet printer: http://www.dharmatrading.com/ijp.html

OR, print directly on fabric with your ink-jet printer: http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/420658-AA.shtml

Take a photo of your bird and the card and print it out on cotton or silk. The effect is what matters.

If you print the bird on paper, don't make it a washer wringer, but make it look like a magic printer (printers have rollers, also).