(Close Window)
Topic: Acar of Penguin Magic
We found out during the Franz lecture that Acar is a Turkish name and his name is pronounced Ajar ( like "a jar" ). FYI in case you see him at conventions or talk on the phone.

He's turned Penguin into a fantastic company. I've ordered from them since they took over from MagicSmith and always had good experiences. Now with "Live" help, live lectures and incredible service, they are my go to place for magic.

Clarke
Always had a good experience with Penguin.

I especially like the cartoon caricatures they do of the magicians whose products they sell. They're very funny.

Regards,

Laurence.
Interesting, Clarke. Now if I could just learn the correct pronunciation for "Dai." :D

Seriously, though -- I hear magicians pronouncing it like "Dye" all the time...but the one magician I've heard who actually knew Vernon -- Harry Riser -- pronounces it like "Day."
Is Acar the brother of Alvo Stockman?
[quote]
On 2012-02-10 14:49, FrenchDrop wrote:
Interesting, Clarke. Now if I could just learn the correct pronunciation for "Dai." :D

Seriously, though -- I hear magicians pronouncing it like "Dye" all the time...but the one magician I've heard who actually knew Vernon -- Harry Riser -- pronounces it like "Day."
[/quote]

It seems the West Coast guys pronounced it DIE. East Coast ( and Tommy Wonder ) pronounced it "DAY". His name is David, so "Day" seems the correct way. Although the Professor never seemed to correct anyone. Maybe because his actual name is David Verner, he didn't care. Although asked which he preferred, he'd say 'Either,Eithor"
Johnny Thompson also pronounces it "Day" (Dai).
Okay, I'm goin' with "Day," then. Thanks!
But ... on his Revelations videos the Professor himself pronounces his name to rhyme with "dye."
Acar looks like Alvo.
I think Acar is Alvo. I'm not sure.
[quote]
On 2012-02-11 00:40, billmarq wrote:
But ... on his Revelations videos the Professor himself pronounces his name to rhyme with "dye."
[/quote]
GAH! :lol:
Yeah Alvo was basically a pen name for Acar when he put out his products. Great guy!