(Close Window)
Topic: Important info about building
Hello,
Today I was at Home Depot buying materials to build a Modern Cabinet (Abbott's plans) and the sales associate told me that a professional builder at home depot could build the illusion for free. Apparently this is for all Home Depots. This helped me a lot and I hope it helps other magicians out there to.
-Ben
Looking forward to seeing your new illusion.
Just a small warning...most illusion building is much closer to cabinet or furniture making than it is to normal construction projects. Like Michael I would love to see pictures of the construction project and the finished product. Best of luck to you.
Lol. that is very funny.
So, if I buy a garage opener they will install it for free? How about a new kitchen? If I buy all the pavers will they install a new patio for me for free?
Same thing isn't it?
If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Wonder if they would build a house for me for free?
I was the assembler for Lowes. BBQ, patio funiture, wheelbarrows, all manner of items sold at the store for display or for customers who could not assemble the item.

Never came across a project building a custom item for free. No profit for the store. The tools allowed for the assembler would not include those needed for such projects.

I think the sales associate misunderstood the role of the store assembler.

Pete
Actually, I gave the man the plans on Saturday. He said he would take a look at them over the weekend and I could come back on Sunday or Monday to build. The best part was that he said that he wouldn't be doing it alone and I would be able to help him. This gives me the experience and knowledge of illusion building. I may go in today or tomorrow to build it, so I will post photos once I return.
-Ben
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Feb 19, 2012 01:35PM)
Keep us all posted, this sounds verrrrrrry interesting!

Mark
Well if this is true, Lowe's is going to be very busy building magic props for free!!

Honestly, I don't think this can be true. You have signed up for a woodworking class and do not know it. If you can build it there you will be the one doing the work. Most woodworking classes require a skilled person to be watching the person cut and assemble. It is a safety thing.

It is good to have a skilled person work out all the dimensions that are not provided in the plans. Makes things easier. I hope you have a deep wallet, as wood is very expensive today. Not to mention all the other assembly needs.

So if you use only 10 nails do you have to buy the whole pack of 100 nails? If you only use half a sheet of wood, do you have to pay for the whole 4'x8' sheet?
I'd go back and double-check the info. I recently took on a part-time evening job at Home Depot to help fund several of my side projects and they are very adamant about seeing to ALL of the customers needs, I would be a bit cautious about having a store associate fabricate an illusion for you. They encourage all employees to push that "we" can come and do installs on anything we sell in the store (ie., flooring, electrical, insulation, roofing, etc.). On the other hand, several of the older guys I work with have extensive furniture and cabinet making backgrounds and have ended up working at Home Depot to fulfill that craving to work within those industries... it would be the equivalent to you or I working in a magic shop to constantly feed the need to be around magic! Again, you never know. As far as there being a wood-shop class, they do offer a little workshop on most Saturdays to teach the DIY folks about simple home repairs, and assist the little ones in building pinewood derby cars, bird houses, and picture frames. Keep us informed!

~Bryan
Bryan,
Thank you for you response. I called up the contractor/ builder man who works with home depot. He told me that he would help and guide me through the process of building it. He would also tell me the exact items I need to complete the project so I would not have to make many returns. So once again, he would not be actually building it, but helping me.

-Ben
Wow... at the store location?
Bryan,
I talked to the guy today and he led me through the store showing me the exact parts I needed. He talked to the manager, who said that we couldn't build it in the store. Then man said he would come to my house and build it in a couple of hours for a VERY small price. I figured this is better because it saves me a ton of time!
I'll post pictures of the finished product.
-Ben
That's awesome...cant wait to see the pictures... I'll have to mention this in our next store meeting because we are always being told of associates who go the extra mile to assist customers... that's very cool!
[quote]
On 2012-02-20 17:17, Benjamagic wrote:
Bryan,
I talked to the guy today and he led me through the store showing me the exact parts I needed. He talked to the manager, who said that we couldn't build it in the store. Then man said he would come to my house and build it in a couple of hours for a VERY small price. I figured this is better because it saves me a ton of time!
I'll post pictures of the finished product.
-Ben
[/quote]

What price did he quote for the build??
Now that's customer service!

Steve
The man said he worldwide do it for about 75 dollars a day
Count me in on this one...I can't wait to see the finished product
[quote]
On 2012-02-25 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
The man said he worldwide do it for about 75 dollars a day
[/quote]

Just some things to think about how many days to do the build and what is a day for him 8 Hr. If I make a rough proto type and take it to my carpenter he Usually come in arould $400.00 + supples( unpainted). I like getting a quote for the entire build rather than a day wage (that way you know where you stand). For a Modern Cabinet build you are Probably OK as it is a easy build (but it still may take more than one day). Realy if you think about it there is only two reason for him to quote a day wage--1. he thinks he can finish it in a few hr. and get paid the day wage. 2. he knows is will take more than one day.
Anymore on this project?
You guys realize that the original poster is a little kid right? Check out his website in his profile. This is him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGuTZJW5z48
Well thank God for young magic thinkers with the dream. I think he is great.
Well said, Gimpy. Some of the biggest advances I've made in magic happened when I followed a dream and basically bit off more than I could chew. It makes you step up to the plate and take a swing. The times when I went nowhere was usually listening to someone who told me I couldn't do what I was thinking I could.
[quote]
On 2012-03-05 21:53, Futureal wrote:
You guys realize that the original poster is a little kid right? Check out his website in his profile. This is him.

[/quote]

Does it matter that I am a 13 year old? I have performed all over the country in competitions and payed shows, so I don't see how it matters that I am only a "little kid." Just because of my age, doesn't mean I can't build it. I find the factor of age irrelevant.
-Ben (original poster)
[quote]
On 2012-03-06 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Does it matter that I am a 13 year old? I have performed all over the country in competitions and payed shows, so I don't see how it matters that I am only a "little kid." Just because of my age, doesn't mean I can't build it. I find the factor of age irrelevant.
-Ben (original poster)
[/quote]

It does matter from the point of knowledge of using power tools and wood crafts. Children should not be using such powerful tools that could end your magic career very quickly with only on little error. Safety and responsibility comes 1st.

I suggest you find a parent to cut the pieces and assemble the parts.
[quote]
On 2012-03-06 07:01, Benjamagic wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

-Ben (original poster)
[/quote]

I think he was just trying to explain why Home Depot would build it with you. If you notice, that was the part everyone was surprised and confused about. He wasn't trying to insult you.

s
Holding my tongue here.....a lot. I enjoyed Ben's videos, the ones I've watched. He's well on his way. Except for a couple of mistakes in his posts, his use of the English language to communicate his thoughts is better than some I'm looking at here, and, elsewhere on the Café. If I had been as good at performing as Ben is at 13, I would probably still be doing it. Positive and proper encouragement is the ticket here.

Michael
So.........how is the Modern Cabinet build going? Photo's?

Pete
Hello Ben.
Don't just read the negative ill informed posts,take notice
of the more encouraging messages as well.
I first started helping my elder brother at about your age.Fast forward 36 years and I'm still doing it,
though now,I run my own business,and occasionally employ my elder brother when I'm overly busy.
My elder brother was a French polisher and cabinet maker.
Guess what I became???....And,I still have all my fingers.These holier than thou members
who have accused you of God knows what,and tried to discourage you from doing the thing that you love,
don't know which orifice from which they speak.
If you want to do it,or even try it,do it!No loss no gain.
I wish you all the best in your endeavours!
Cheers,Ray.
Has the YouTube video been made private, or am I doing something wrong?

As for building and safety, I was building magic props at age 10 or 11. I didn't have nice power tools, but I had a great time building. If you have someone who is experienced to assist you with the building and serve as another set of eyes for safety reasons, I say "Go for it!"
I have made the YouTube video private... if you would like to see it, email me at bzabin@gcds.net and I will email you the link.
Clinton,

Looks like the clip is now private. All it is is a basic backstage magic bit. Ben starts out buy saying that he is going to show how magic works backstage. He then follows with the sucker effect. If you only watch the first 10 seconds you could get the wrong impression I guess. Kirby Vanburch dose a bit like this in his show and nobody calls him a thief. All so uncalled for.

I grew up running power tools. My Dad was a Home builder so I started working on his crews at age 12. These days they would probably lock my Dad up. Back then teens were expected to learn a work ethic at a very young age. That being said you can get hurt very bad with power tools so its important to get good training. That goes for adults too.
I'm not sure how many videos Ben had posted, but I watched a few of them, and found nothing wrong. Mr. Octopus should take his eight thumbs out of his tail pipe and quit harassing people. Attacking someone through private message defines cowardice in my eyes.

Ben, I hope you don't respond to this guy. Be the bigger person.

As for learning to use power tools, if not now, when? As with most things, knowledge is power.
Unfortunately most schools don't have woods hops anymore, grammar schools that is. I remember starting at ten with power tools, thank goodness for school because safety was always first. Still have all ten digits. If you need help with anything Ben drop me a PM. I live just outside of Chicago. Mike
Wood shop stories might be a good topic here in the work shop.

But on topic..... Go Ben, Proud of you to hang in there and stick up for yourself. Can not wait to see what you come up with.