(Close Window)
Topic: Trapdoor!
For you guys who likes real impromptu magic (as in no preparations of whatsoever), check out this effect "Trapdoor" by Robert Neale in his new "Celebration of Sides" video. I find it very cool. It can be presented as magic or a puzzle.

Basically the effect is to take a piece of paper or card (can be your name card or playing card), tear the card in the middle to form a door-like flap and ask the spectator to hold on to the "door". The front side of the card is facing him. Ask him to close his eyes for 5 seconds and when he opens his eyes, the back of the card is facing him! remember he is holding on to the card (or "door") all the time and the card is not taken off his hand.

The video also includes the famous "Rabbit in Tophat" origami fold which makes everything much simpler to learn as compared to learning it from his "Folding Money Fooling" book.
This sounds very similar to an effect in the book Lifesavers by Richard Weber. Don't have it to hand at the moment, but I'll look it up tonight and may even give it a go!
The author of "Lifesavers" was Michael Weber.
John, you are of course quite right, it is MICHAEL Weber. I think Sigmund Freud had some theories about mis-remembering names (or was that Sidney Freud).
I think David Brittland came up with that same trick years ago with a jumbo card.I have that same jumbo card with the trapdoor in it.It flipped over while the spectator was holding the door. :bluebikes:
I just got this tape and the book life,death and other card tricks and I'm really happy and excited with this particular trick "trapdoor" has a lot of presentations!!
Bob Neale was the first to publish the Trapdoor effect and method.

If you read the Britland Manuscript, he credits his version being inspired by watching Michael Weber perform his version of Neale's effect.

So Neale started it all...