(Close Window)
Topic: More Electric Chair Parts (actually a buzzer)
I am trying to find a small buzzer that has a sound similar to the old game called Operation. I have tried all of the Piezo buzzers. They have far too high of pitch. I am trying to find one that actually sounds like an electrical buzzing. Maybe a zapping sort of sound. I am needing a few for an idea I have, so, I guess I am looking for a semi-cheap way out. I have tried the sound recording devices with less than positive results.
Any help would be truly appreciated!!
Can you cannibalize an old game of Operation?
If the pitch is too high on a buzzer that works fine otherwise, try muffling it with tape, or wrapping it in cotton, etc. Some paper taped just right over the sound port might even give you a muffled and weird kazoo type sound.
Thank you "The Sponge", the only problem is that I am hoping to build several inexpensive props, and the older games (which have the good buzzer) cost slightly less than I would hope to sell the prop for. Chance, I have tried muffling it with all manner of material. All I have accomplished is lowering the volume. I even thought about using a vibrating motor from Radio Shack ($2.00) and letting it vibrate around inside a small enclosure. Produces more of a rattle than a buzzer.
If you took one apart, could you get a type/part# off the buzzer and just order that part cheaper for the rest?
@The Sponge...thank you that is a great idea. I have listened to the new buzzers and they are not the same as the old game. I will try to track down one of the older Operation games to check if the buzzer indeed does have a number and if it is still made.
What about using a high speed motor with a cam and a leaf spring to operate like a ratchet device (watch winder) at high speed. The leaf spring and the sound board it attaches to should regulate the sound emitted.
It's a simple electronic circuit - you need a 555 timer set in astable mode, with small cheap loudspeaker. About 5 parts in total. Pretty cheap.
[quote]
On 2012-03-01 04:47, veegates wrote:
@The Sponge...thank you that is a great idea. I have listened to the new buzzers and they are not the same as the old game. I will try to track down one of the older Operation games to check if the buzzer indeed does have a number and if it is still made.
[/quote]

FYI, there are probably at least three different versions of the classic Operation game, not including the alternate themed ones. I happened to have one that was probably bought in the late 90's or early 2000's. It runs on two D batteries, has an incandescent lamp for that red nose, and has a motor spinning an eccentric mass as its "buzzer." I see that current versions of the game run on 4 AA batteries. I don't know what these use for the buzzer. (I have to assume the red nose is now an LED.)

I think the earlier ones had a buzzer, and at some point they switched over to the vibrating motor. I remember encountering both at various points in my childhood, and thinking the vibrating motor version was really lame!

Good luck in your search!

Ross