(Close Window)
Topic: John Blake RIP
John Blake passed away this morning after a 3 week stay in ICU in the hospital. He was a close firend, and always fun to be with, laugh with, and share stories. Our friendship spans some 40 years. Joanne and I will miss him greatly, and our hearts and thoughts are with Marie, his long time companion and partner. John and Marie run Eastcoast Magic in State College PA, and he was the mover and shaker there and responsible for forming the Bob Elliot Magic Ring 352, and a Penn State Magic Club. A past partner of the Tannen's Magic shop empire, John Blake was currently the owner of East Coast Magic, started off in magic in 1972. He first started working as a stock boy at Lou Tannenís Magic Shop in New York City. John worked his way up to becoming a demonstrator and then moved on to head demonstrator. He later became the manager and finally became an owner. John left Tannenís in order to have the opportunity to be able to perform, teach and consult more. His most memorable years there were when he was a student of Slydini and Frank Garcia. John was also fortunate enough to be helped by many other well known magicians of the time. John had started East Coast Magic on June 1, 2002 but still continued to perform, teach and consult. John was a creator, manufacturer, lecturer, performer, and great friend to Magic. No details are available yet. Another great loss to us all. Goodbye my friend, I will miss you, and as you have always said, we will meet again soon in that big Thumb Tip in the sky.
It was a shock to learn of John's illness. I had not heard from him in some time.

Rest in Peace.

Richard
What a life in the world of magic! He will be missed.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Obit from Funeral Home.

John A. Pennino, 59, of Bellefonte, died Monday, March 5, 2012 at Mount Nittany Medical Center.
Born November 30, 1952 in Manhattan, NY, he was a son of the late Salvatore and Josephine (Berlingeri) Pennino.
John was a great magician, working under the name of John Blake. He worked with many magicians including David Copperfield.
Friends will be received from 1 pm until the time of service at 2 pm, Friday, March 9, 2012 at Mark D. Heintzelman Funeral and Cremation Services, 1034 Benner Pike, State College.
I remember John demonstrating at Tannens. In addition to being skilled he was always friendly and patient with everyone.
Never met Mr. Blake, but didn't Hocus-Pocus carry a lot of his items? Don't see many there now, but he sure seemed prolific. Shame that he passed at such a young age.