(Close Window)
Topic: The Vanishing by Shin Lim
The vidio of this looks pretty nice. Video says no reels or magnets. I don't have a clue. Won't be released until later this month. What do you think?

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=20172

It's another Hocus Pocus exclusive!

Pre-order yours today. Expected release date is last week of March or sooner.

"I almost hate to admit this, but when The Vanishing was presented to me, I couldn't figure out how it was done. Seriously, it both drove me crazy and excited me, and this is what makes The Vanishing such an outstanding effect. PLUS, it's easy to learn. What you see is exactly what you get, there is no special editing on this video!"
- Paul Gross, owner Hocus Pocus.

Preface: This utility device will allow you to do miracles when it comes to vanishing an object or making it travel from one place to another. It is light to carry and can fit in your wallet. It's not bulky, and no necessary clothing requirements are needed. You can even use this gimmick naked if you wanted to.

Chapter 1: The magician borrows a small object, a coin, ring, etc. There are no switches, and the exact same coin is used the entire time. With a slow wave over the coin, it effortlessly vanishes. No funny movements, no sudden sleights. The coin is COMPLETELY gone. The spectator can FEEL your hands to make sure there's nothing there; because there is nothing...

At this point, you can either choose to end there, or continue, and make the coin reappear again on your hand or in theirs. You then hand out their coin for examination and leave them with a signed coin they'll never forget.

Chapter 2: The magician borrows a tic tac box and a tic tac. There are no switches whatsoever, and there are no alterations on the box or the tic tac. You cleanly place the tic tac inside of the box. And with no sudden movements, the tic tac visually melts through the bottom, and landing on your spectator's cupped hand. They can then immediately examine the tic tac and the box.

Chapter3: The magician proceeds to use an ordinary coffee cup, and asks the spectator for a dollar bill (or anything that can be crumpled up into a ball). He cleanly places the cup over the ball. With NO movements whatsoever, he snaps his fingers and the ball is gone. You can then proceed to continue with your regular cups and balls routine; or you can continue to use the gimmick to make it a devastating cups and balls routine.
Shin showed this to me and it left me completely fooled. Brilliant!
Looks incredible!

R
You got me
Seems impossible!
Wow...
Looks amazing!
Yes looks great !
Is it really exclusive ? I received a mail from magicshop.co.uk
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html
Come on. That is awesome. Now I have a headache.
Angles, refills, repeatable? You have to imagine that if this device allows for vanishes THAT clean it would be much more expensive... It looks great, but I'm suspicious.
This looks incredible... Will wait for reviews.
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
Looks very nice, although Ill wait for a few reviews before I get my wallet out !
Obviously this is real magic! No other explaination. The Magicshop Uk demo is shorter than the Hocus pocus one though.....
I just talked to Paul at Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus has the US exclusive on this. They are quite excited about this and said it is very practical and will be great for walk around. I've put my order in and will let you know what I think when I get it.

Mike
Wasn't this the guy that everyone said faked a magic video?
Or was that someone else?

What ever.. it does look good... but it does have that look of something that when you get it, it's not what you expected it to be.

Very interesting though.

Randi
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 14:36, rockwall wrote:
I just talked to Paul at Hocus Pocus and Hocus Pocus has the US exclusive on this. They are quite excited about this and said it is very practical and will be great for walk around. I've put my order in and will let you know what I think when I get it.

Mike
[/quote]

Ditto

Charlie
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 13:21, doriancaudal wrote:
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
[/quote]

didn't see it!

this looks great
[quote]
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
[/quote]

... I'm really wonder what you're doing in the world of magic...
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 16:20, parmenion wrote:
[quote]
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

wonderING, parmenion, wondering... ;) And I also wonder why this fierceness...
I saw the flash, too.
I think the flash is just his button!!
Woha.. That looked like actual magic. Defo peeked my interest.
That's just insanely clean. I was thinking it must be like that onehanded coin vanish by John Cornelius, bu t it's not. Sadly though shin Lim has blotted his copybook somewhat lately, so I'll be waiting for some further reviews. Everyone deserves a second chance, though, and if it's as good as it looks, good luck to him, and I'll be a customer.
Must you wear a necktie in order to do "The Vanishing", as in the video? (That's the sort of possible "special situation" one has to worry about before buying something like this.)
Well now, this looks really good.
I really like this. I'm a coin guy myself and am quite embarrassed to admit I was fooled badly by this when it was shown to me.

Anyone here seen Shoot Ogawa's excellent and depressingly difficult (In my own fumbling attempts) method to vanish a coin showing the hands completely clean. Saw it at his lecture last year at the Magic Circle, and the sleight of hand involved is as impressive as the effect! Shoots technique is very very different, but the When The Vanishing was taught to me, it was like someone giving me a free pass to do that level of vanish without any of the hard work. Really made my day!

Paul at Hocus Pocus is providing the exclusive for the US and Merchant of Magic is looking after UK and Europe. That way we can both look after customers and provide a super fast shipping and post sale customer support experience no matter where on the planet you like to do your magic.

I tip my hat to Shin Lim for this one. Such a simple little gimmick/Device, direct and cunning. I wish I had thought of it first!!

UK & Europe Sales and After Sales Support: [url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]

-

US sales and After Sales Support [url]http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=20172[/url]
Murray - looks like there's no need for a tie...

[quote]

Preface: This utility device will allow you to do miracles when it comes to vanishing an object or making it travel from one place to another. It is light to carry and can fit in your wallet. It's not bulky, and no necessary clothing requirements are needed. You can even use this gimmick naked if you wanted to.

[/quote]

This really does look impressive, I hope it's practical!!

AA
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 16:25, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

wonderING, parmenion, wondering... ;) And I also wonder why this fierceness...
[/quote]
Mais parceque tu es un trou du cul mon garçon :) I put a smiley like you to looks kind and cool, it isn't cut ? is it !?
Murray

Yep, you don't need that tie ( I suspected it too, before learning the method.) In fact you can do The Vanishing naked. But in my experience, it's best to check with the client first, and there's not many places to store your business cards I find.

The Vanishing [url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]
I'm wondering if this is, and if so, how much so is it similar to Fickle Nickle?
Looks fantastic!!

Wonder if you can use for walk around---or if there are bad angle restrictions??
Man... I promised myself not to buy until new effects like this are released. I keep telling myself to wait for the reviews but I'm having a hard time waiting!!!!
Gdw

I don't perform Fickle Nickle and I've not sold one here at the shop as we are based in the UK, so only going from memory, but if I remember correctly its also a coin vanish, but you had issues showing your hands completely and allowing the spectator to examine your hands.

With The Vanishing, you show your hands completely empty front and back and the spectator can touch, stroke and admire them as much as they like there's nothing to find.

With The Vanishing, the signed coin also vanishes off the spectators hand rather than just out of your own

Hope this helps

Vanishing Available from: [url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]

Gene B,

The angles are good fine walk-around and table hopping etc
I had an opportunity to meet Shin Lim at his lecture last week in Boston.
He didn't show this particular effect but I will say that he is a [i]VERY[/i] creative and talented magician.
Gene, you can show both sides of your hands with Fickle Nickle.
I'm think about the specific "gimmick" used.
This looks really good and at the price looks like a real buy.
Gdw,
I don't feel comfortable discussing methods for effects, either our own releases or others (like Fickle Nickle)on forums, but always happy to help with any questions about performance conditions, the effect etc etc.
I'm pretty sure with the method used in Fickle Nickle, when you vanish the coin, you can't let the spectators touch or grab your hands at all.
How easy is it to retrieve the vanished item afterwards? Could you vanish a borrowed ring, for instance, and easily reproduce it and load it somewhere?
Fair enough.
[quote]
Mais parceque tu es un trou du cul mon garçon :) I put a smiley like you to looks kind and cool, it isn't cut ? is it !?
[/quote]

Not brave enough to write in english... So stupid. The magic world does not deserve you.
You can reappear the item very easily. Back into your hand to produce or perhaps load somewhere...

The Vanishing : [url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]
Dominic, do you think you could use this for a chop cup/ cups and balls routine?

Would make for some very clean vanishes and reappearances...
Thank you

[quote]
[quote]
Flash at 1'57'' ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]
Friboudi, I think you don't understand, Magic is secret and not the soluce of the last video game, learn to keep some informations (also on Virtual Magie), mainly on a public forum.
If I've got the exchange rate right buying from hocus pocus with free international shipping will save you about £10.

I've noticed this with a few items I've bought over the last year, why are the UK suppliers charging more and charging for shipping as well?

I'd prefer to give my business to a UK company but a £10 saving is significant.
Hi Zentao

Hocus Pocus are awesome and give great service but there are other factors to consider in ordering from the US into the UK/Europe.

If you are based in the UK or Europe and order from a company outside of the EU, the price they charge will not include VAT.
However, if you are importing the package into Europe or the EU, VAT is payable on the value of the goods, so an additional 20% tax is due to Customs.
Also Import duty is then applied on top.
Finally, most delivery companies will handle the import/customs clearance paperwork for you but charge an additional fee (usually around £12-£14 DHL, FedEx, UPS). They will hold the package and write to you for payment. This can cause a delay for you as well.

It's a small package, so you may be lucky and it slips through, but that's 'pot luck' and cheating Customs and Excise as all taxes should be paid.

The manufacturer for The Vanishing wanted to offer a point of sale for customers inside the EU, hense there is a UK and a US exclusive dealer.

If you are based in the UK, the quickest delivery to you will be from a UK shop, as it's dispatched first class via Royal Mail so is usually a next day delivery service.
Once the launch day is here we will also be able to ship by assured next day delivery if required.

So ordering from the US into the UK 'could' be a touch cheaper if you are lucky and don't get hit with tax and processing fees, but will be a lot slower for you, and a letter from the courier requesting exorbitant fee's it not a fun way to receive your order.

Customers who order from The UK dealer also get local phone support and in the unlikely event there be an issue with the item (DVD disc skips, damaged faulty gimmick etc) get a UK warrenty and full local support and replacements etc.

Hope this helps

Dominic

[url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]

-
Apologies if this has already been answered but what is the reset time like on this?
No worries. Glad to be of service, as it's not released yet, so questions like these really help everyone consider if the item if right for them. I'm paid to answer them :)

It's pretty much instant between performances, so good for table hopping.
Setting up the gimmick at the start of your gig, so your ready to go, can be done away from the spectator in less that one minute.
Hocus pocus has this and it looks like real magic. I will be getting this for sure.
I'm most interested in the Tic Tac trick. Something to do for that cute girl that works at the gas station.
I'm going to do it for her first! Then when you show her, she'll say, ahh, I've already seen that one. :)
I have two questions! What lighting is required (if any) in order to perform without problems? Also, will we need to buy refills for this "utility gimmick"?

-Tyler
[quote]
On 2012-03-10 11:04, rockwall wrote:
I'm going to do it for her first! Then when you show her, she'll say, ahh, I've already seen that one. :)
[/quote]
Dude, that'll be so UNCOOL
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 14:46, randirain wrote:
...Wasn't this the guy that everyone said faked a magic video?...
[/quote]

Weren't you the girl who told everyone to let that go? ;)
Aren't you the cute girl working at the gas station? :)
Nope. :)
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 20:12, gdw wrote:
[/quote]
Coin in the tic tac case made me think of that too
Just camp out at the gas station, then you can be the first one.
James

[quote]
On 2012-03-10 13:31, mndude wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-10 11:04, rockwall wrote:
[/quote]
Dude, that'll be so UNCOOL
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-03-10 23:07, rockwall wrote:
[/quote]
You're old enough to be her dad! Give it a rest. :giggles:
Hi Dominic,

This looks amazing!!! I just would like to know something, in the video it says 'No magnets & No Reels' does this also rule out IT? Not a ITR...but just the IT? I would like to pre-order but not if its just a new IT hook up as it's not for me. I don't want the method, or exposure its just that I want to make sure its NOT a new IT hook up before ordering. Many Thanks, Anthony :)
I sure does look kid, hard to believe that it is not somehow restrictive in viewing angles or something, but the little kid in me is sure coming out.
That's the big question for me too, IT or no IT, that is the question.
When I posted above asking:

"I have two questions! What lighting is required (if any) in order to perform without problems? Also, will we need to buy refills for this "utility gimmick"?

-Tyler"

I was also, subtly, asking whether or not this was some sort of new IT hookup...
I normally rush out and buy the latest and greatest but something in my gut tells me to wait it out on this one. Don't know why, just intuition.
Looks terrific. I have no clue how you do that! you got me. compliments to your method, it looks to me like real magic:)

obviously the cleanest vanish I've ever seen!

best wishes for the release and many happy customers
Hi
Ref: performing conditions:

I've been using this myself in quite a lot of environments over the week, including clubs, restaurants, a trade show and an outside event on a cricket field and not had any issues. so seems fine for most professional environments so far in my own experience

Ref Refills: You will need to replace the gimmick eventually when the gimmick wears out or is damaged. however, you will not have to order a whole new Vanishing pack to get this as replacement gimmicks will be available from the magic shop.
Thread it is then! :)

Not sure I like the idea of refills. My Raven was a one off purchase and does the same job.

In this case my gut feel might turn out to be right. I'll carry on waiting.
Hi Jamie,

I love my Raven and Black Widow too, but I wanted an alternative method that had a fast reset, no clothing limitations and allowed quick reproduction of the item.
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 12:03, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Hi
Ref: performing conditions:

I've been using this myself in quite a lot of environments over the week, including clubs, restaurants, a trade show and an outside event on a cricket field and not had any issues. so seems fine for most professional environments so far in my own experience

Ref Refills: You will need to replace the gimmick eventually when the gimmick wears out or is damaged. however, you will not have to order a whole new Vanishing pack to get this as replacement gimmicks will be available from the magic shop.
[/quote]

So, like an IT hookup, we are going to eventually face an embarrassing breakage issue somewhere down the road.
I think most gimmicks in magic need replacing with use. Decks of cards wear out very quickly , gimmicked cards get tatty and my Omni deck get scratched and is replaced each season too. :)
I already showed the girl at the gas station.

She loved it!

Even though I'm old enough to be her dad. . .
Isn't this "new" system extremely similar to Angelux by Diego Antoine and Tango Magic.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=10645
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26JTzi_OpA

It seems like it would work exactly the same way...
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 12:34, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Hi Jamie,

I love my Raven and Black Widow too, but I wanted an alternative method that had a fast reset, no clothing limitations and allowed quick reproduction of the item.
[/quote]
You know I trust you Dominic. Normally my pre-order would be in by now, but this just seems too clean to be true!
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 06:38, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey! I'm probably old enough to be her Granddad!
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 13:17, rockwall wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 06:38, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey! I'm probably old enough to be her Granddad!
[/quote]
Experience counts for a lot! ;)
Don't get too caught up in the numbers, boys. For this girl and many others, it's about who you ARE. For the record, Rockwall's not old enough to be my Dad or my Granddad. My Dad's 87, FWIW. :)
LOL. Maybe I just look younger than I am! OK, you got me on that one. :)
The girl at the gas station DID mentioned she liked me for who I am.

But liked the trick even better. . .
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 12:45, TTrushin wrote:
Isn't this "new" system extremely similar to Angelux by Diego Antoine and Tango Magic.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=10645
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26JTzi_OpA

It seems like it would work exactly the same way...
[/quote]
That product really looks good too. I liked the revolving card cover for the vanish. If you could do that from the spectators hand it would be great.
This looks too good to be true for me, so I'll wait. It looks awesome on the trailer, but I'm concerned that the gimmick may not be invisible enough in person.
[quote]
On 2012-03-11 12:44, Atom3339 wrote:
I already showed the girl at the gas station.

She loved it!

Even though I'm old enough to be her dad. . .
[/quote]

Arrrrrgh! How did you get your hands on it so fast? I didn't even know it was available yet. Oh well, I'm planning something cool for the girl that cuts my hair.
Now the girl from the gas station is using it!

Old men are waiting in line to see her vanish quarters.

She's selling a LOT more gas; even at these prices!
Watched this on Hocus-Pocus and was just blown away. Dying to see it in real life.
Speaking of exposing, I can't believe Atom gave away the secret to that girl! Everyone knows you're not supposed to reveal secrets, especially to girls!
At 1.59 2.00 I believe to see a flash of the coin vanishing behind the tie.
not a reel?i do not believe there is no reel or I.T involved in the trick.
if I am wrong shin has done a great job!
[quote]
On 2012-03-15 17:40, markhitton wrote:
[/quote]

looks cool but massive flash as Mark says
Isn't the name "The Vanishing" a prior name that was used by Magician Jon Allen for one of his signature effects?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13153
[quote]
[/quote]
I don't think any spectator could catch that flash in realtime but even seeing it on video it doesn't come close to solving the mystery. IT or not, only thing that bothers me is that if a coin somehow goes behind the tie as it surely looks like in the demo doesn't that go against the ad saying you could do the effect naked (no clothing requirement)??? Just sayin...

Other than that the effect looks killer. Can't wait for all the reviews to come in on this.
[quote]
[/quote]

When performers do not wish to put up a demo, this is exactly why
[quote]
doesn't that go against the ad saying you could do the effect naked
[/quote]

Maybe you require tons of chest hair to hide the coin?

There is probably more than one way taught on how to use this. One of the ways probably makes use of a tie.
[quote]
On 2012-03-16 19:03, PatrickGregoire wrote:
[quote]
doesn't that go against the ad saying you could do the effect naked
[/quote]

Maybe you require tons of chest hair to hide the coin?

[/quote]
My girlfriend should be good at it then.
Anyone have a revie t would like to share? I know here was some exposure on here BUT we cannot be sure that was true. The effect looks amazing. Patiently waiting for a true review. My guess is this looks amazing, is awesome but most likely will not be used. Hope I'm wrong!!!!
It's not released yet.
[quote]
On 2012-03-16 23:43, mike storz wrote:
Anyone have a revie t would like to share? I know here was some exposure on here BUT we cannot be sure that was true. The effect looks amazing. Patiently waiting for a true review. My guess is this looks amazing, is awesome but most likely will not be used. Hope I'm wrong!!!!
[/quote]
Why not buy it and give your own review?
*** I hope this lives up to the hype....I ordered mine and have been waiting what seems like forever -_-
Well, you're probably going to have to wait until about the end of the month.
[quote]
On 2012-03-17 04:25, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Been there, done that. Someone else's turn. How about you?
Reason I am Never preordering tricks. Waiting.....
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 11:00, mike storz wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Because I wasn't asking someone else for a review without contributing something first, that's why. It was a cheeky request if you ask me.
Do it naked with a tie?
no it no reel no magnet ...
too good to be 100 % true .
and the coin flashes behind the tie....
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 17:10, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 11:00, mike storz wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Because I wasn't asking someone else for a review without contributing something first, that's why. It was a cheeky request if you ask me.
[/quote]

Wow! What a nice guy. Those who know me know I buy a ton and offer my thoughts and reviews to the Café. I guess I could have just said, "I normally rush out and buy the latest and greatest but something in my gut tells me to wait it out on this one. Don't know why, just intuition" and waited for a review and been ok then. Not cheekish at all.
[quote]
On 2012-03-19 16:07, Prismatic wrote:
Reason I am Never preordering tricks. Waiting.....
[/quote]
Outstanding logic... Instead of waiting for the product, you're waiting for a review...
Love the effect but gotta find out if the setup is suitable for me.
Too much setup or wearing a tie is not for me.
[quote]
On 2012-03-20 03:20, markhitton wrote:
[/quote]

Read the thread boy or better don't buy it !
Hi Mark

The set up is really quick, and you don't need to wear a tie

Best wishes
Dominic
Thanks Dominic for clearing that up. No tie means good for me. Would be there any more demo video? Not looking for exposure but different surrounding and perhaps a nice routine.
Thanks Dominic if no tie is required this is for me.
[quote]
On 2012-03-20 03:35, parmenion wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-20 03:20, markhitton wrote:
[/quote]

Read the thread boy or better don't buy it !
[/quote]

thanks for the boy now I buy it for sure!
Hey guys! Glad you guys are liking the vanishing trailer. Just to clarify a few things: you need no clothing requirements whatsoever. The gimmick will take some time to get used to as well as a little sleight of hand, but all in all it shouldnt take you more than
Ten minutes to get the hang of it. Also, as for the tic tAC box, it can be borrowed
nothing is altered to the box at any time, and the spectator can examine it before and after the penetration has occurred.
If you guys have any questions feel free to ask away =)

Shin lim.
Great news!thanks shin this appear to be more practical.
does it make noise when the object vanishes?
can you do it surrounded?
thanks
[quote]
On 2012-03-22 02:53, markhitton wrote:
thanks
[/quote]

More practical ? More than what ?
It makes the same noise as a Katioucha rocket launcher
No, you can do it only in front of you webcam.
Could you please read the thread rather ask question already answered ?
I know it's lot of pain but I'm sure you can do it ! be strong
Hi Mark

Yes, it's fine for working conditions. I'm using it myself this weekend at a trade show stand, together with a coin unique. Deming the daily savings for consumers for a water pump. (What a strange job we all have Lol)

It's silent in operation, although that's not a factor at a trade show, as I'm sure I'll be stuck between a Yoyo expert and a scarlectrix track as usual :)

Dom
[quote]
On 2012-03-21 23:26, Shinlimmagic wrote:
Hey guys! Glad you guys are liking the vanishing trailer. Just to clarify a few things: you need no clothing requirements whatsoever. The gimmick will take some time to get used to as well as a little sleight of hand, but all in all it shouldnt take you more than
Ten minutes to get the hang of it. Also, as for the tic tAC box, it can be borrowed
nothing is altered to the box at any time, and the spectator can examine it before and after the penetration has occurred.
If you guys have any questions feel free to ask away =)

Shin lim.
[/quote]

The "gimmick will take some to get used to as well as a little slieght of hand, but all in all it shouldnt take you more than ten minutes to get the hang of it". Does that strike anyone else as odd?
I've pre-ordered it. Looking forward to it.
[quote]
On 2012-03-22 07:08, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Hi Mark

Yes, it's fine for working conditions. I'm using it myself this weekend at a trade show stand, together with a coin unique. Deming the daily savings for consumers for a water pump. (What a strange job we all have Lol)

It's silent in operation, although that's not a factor at a trade show, as I'm sure I'll be stuck between a Yoyo expert and a scarlectrix track as usual :)

Dom
[/quote]

Is it able to vanish coin unique entirely then? Can it handle a £2 coin?
I'm using a 2p/10p coin unique for the show tommorow, but not vanishing it. That's a good idea though. I'll have a play over the weekend, as that's given me an idea for expanding the routine further, cheers.

For aftersales, we have a free support line set up so our customers can ask the team of magicians any perfroming questions they may have and get tips and advice on handling etc. We cover what coins are best to use that may not have been discussed on the DVD, set up advice, routine ideas and also we can suggest other effects that would do well built in with this item ( Like using a coin unique to expand the vanish into a full routine for example)

We are down to our last few copies from the initial batch we secured for release day.

Once these go, we will have more, but with a delay while the second batch ships to us.

I've not bothered using the Tic-Tac effect myself though. Nothing wrong with it, but I can't get it to suit my performing persona and I have no 'reason' to want a coin to be inside or outside of a tic-tac box!?! I'm not into just saying "look at this, it's really cool" as the justification for doing the magic, but that's just me I guess.

My main grumble with The Vanishing, is that I feel a bit guilty using it. I've managed for 20 years doing shows just using coin sleight of hand. Never bothered with ravens, Gecko's etc. I'm fine to vanish the coin a LOAD of different ways just using sleights, but I enjoy having my sleeves rolled back and really showing my hands empty when using this, so been using it for the last few weeks and having fun. But can't get the feeling out of my head that I'm cheating somewhat LOL
Hello,

Good News...We will have The Vanishing in stock in just a few days. Arrival date here at Hocus Pocus 3/28/12...All pre-orders will be shipped the very same day. Thank you all for your tremendous support of this product.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
[quote]
On 2012-03-22 05:48, parmenion wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-22 02:53, markhitton wrote:
thanks
[/quote]

More practical ? More than what ?
It makes the same noise as a Katioucha rocket launcher
No, you can do it only in front of you webcam.
Could you please read the thread rather ask question already answered ?
I know it's lot of pain but I'm sure you can do it ! be strong
[/quote]

the only pain is to read your post this is for sure.
why this kind of treatment?
you do not give a good example for a clever discussion.
a little bit of affability is well accepted
best
mark
Thanks dominic I am thinking to buy it I like your review
best
[quote]
On 2012-03-08 20:12, gdw wrote:
[/quote]

I thought Fickle Nickle when I saw this too...
I think it was 1976 when I saw Doug Henning perform it.

d
Hi d

With The vanishing, the coin vanishes from the spectators hand, and the spectator can actually examine and touch your hands.

The Vanishing [url]http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p21496/The_Vanishing_%28Full_Set_DVD_and_Device%29/product_info.html[/url]
[quote]
On 2012-03-23 17:22, dmoses wrote:
I thought Fickle Nickle when I saw this too...
I think it was 1976 when I saw Doug Henning perform it.
[/quote]
I remember seeing Henning do it on TV, too. I couldn't believe how clean and impossible it looked. Then I caught a very brief glimpse of what made it work, and I figured it out and made my own. I was just a kid, so I felt pretty smart. :D I never did perform it for anyone, though; I reasoned that, if I could glimpse what made it work, somebody else might.
I didn't catch the glimpse when I saw Henning do it and didn't know how it was done until the effect was released. I perfomed the effect whenever I got the chance and not one person ever caught on. To do this from the spectators hand is just insane. The vanishing is not the fickle nickle but I would be shocked if IT were not involved.
The tic tac vanish looks extraordinary, Can't wait for reviews
Hello,

Good News...The wait is over...The Vanishing just arrived this afternoon...All Pre-orders shipping out tomorrow 3/28/12 first thing in the morning. Thanks to all who placed their orders.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Can't wait to read reviews
8a22a has bought it, I hope he will be kind enough to put up a good review of it.
I'm a sucker for anything that apparently assists with a clean vanish. Especially when they claim you can do the effect naked. Of course, my naked belly now has built in topits and hold outs that weren't there 20 years ago - but still... So I plunked down the $29.95. Hope this is good. If not, I'll probably buy the next one anyway.
I bought it too! LOL, We are pushing the button while we toss the current junk.
James

[quote]
On 2012-03-27 23:22, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
I'm a sucker for anything that apparently assists with a clean vanish. Especially when they claim you can do the effect naked. Of course, my naked belly now has built in topits and hold outs that weren't there 20 years ago - but still... So I plunked down the $29.95. Hope this is good. If not, I'll probably buy the next one anyway.
[/quote]
Release day. :spinningcoin:
When? March 28th is its release date?
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 06:28, Failed Magician wrote:
When? March 28th is its release date?
[/quote]

Yep. :yippee:
I will be picking up the effect in person from Hocus Pocus in an hour! I will let you all know my thoughts!
Mine hasn't been despatched yet, so not really any advantage to pre-ordering it.
Just got THE VANISHING..its quite interesting...
Yeah - shame it didn't ship today... but maybe there was postage problems from customs?
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 13:39, MotionMagician wrote:
[/quote]

***ing with faint praise?
Heads up, magic Café, by censoring the letters d a m n, you've made my comment look weirdly explicit when it's completely tame.
It is what I expected but not what I had hoped for. I havent played with it yet but I did watch the video and get a feel for whats involved.
Man, this is killing me! I (like a lot of others) am waiting for a detailed review. Without hinting at the method of course. Anyone?

Doug
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 15:01, MotionMagician wrote:
It is what I expected but not what I had hoped for. I havent played with it yet but I did watch the video and get a feel for whats involved.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more.

Played with it for a short while, will take lots of work to get it as (consistently) clean as the video demo.

Hype machine in overdrive again methinks! I'll never learn.
Even the demo video wasn't consistently clean, considering the flash behind the tie that was mentioned before. If you can get it to work well every time, is it usable?
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 16:25, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Even the demo video wasn't consistently clean, considering the flash behind the tie that was mentioned before. If you can get it to work well every time, is it usable?
[/quote]

The flash behind his tie was actually a reflection off of his button on his shirt...nothing to to with the effect or method so please ignored that :)

Usable yes, practical, not so much...IMO
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 14:50, Magicsquared wrote:
Heads up, magic Café, by censoring the letters d a m n, you've made my comment look weirdly explicit when it's completely tame.
[/quote]
It's your own fault for using such an obscene, filthy phrase as "d a m ning with faint praise." You'd never find somebody like Alexander Pope using such language!
I guess the guys have been busy bees and packing long into the night - I got my 'dispatched' email a couple of hours ago...
Hope it arrives soon...
:)
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 18:14, IAIN wrote:
I guess the guys have been busy bees and packing long into the night - I got my 'dispatched' email a couple of hours ago...
[/quote]

Me too. They may have just been late updating online accounts.
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 16:23, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-28 15:01, MotionMagician wrote:
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more.

Played with it for a short while, will take lots of work to get it as (consistently) clean as the video demo.

Hype machine in overdrive again methinks! I'll never learn.
[/quote]

Thanks, Jamie! That's all I needed to know! :)
I will be playing with this tonight and testing it out on my girlfriend so I will let you know how it goes!
Well I played with it so here goes...

To be honest, this is something I don't think I would normally perform. There is some set up and its just very knacky but I'm sure could get mastered with some practice. You definitely need to watch your angles and it is best if the coin vanish is from YOUR hands instead of a spectators. It can be done, but much more angle sensitive. For me, the coin through tic tac box seems to make a little more sense to perform just with how its set up and is virtually angle proof. I have not yet played with the third version of vanishing something under a cup, but honestly, I'm not that excited about that version. This is everything I thought it would be but I was hoping for a nice surprise. Either way it is still a very clever concept and could be mastered, but is not ideal for my performance. I will probably just use it to show people that come to my house, or things of that nature but too much could go wrong in a real performance for me.

I definitely do not want to deter anyone form this effect, I am simply stating my opinions. Without giving away the methoed, I can say that I personally havent had much experience with this particular method, but I'm sure those familiar with the method could master it!

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician
I'm less excited now. :worry:
:(

does not sound to good...

[quote]
On 2012-03-29 00:25, MotionMagician wrote:

To be honest, this is something I don't think I would normally perform. There is some set up and its just very knacky but I'm sure could get mastered with some practice. You definitely need to watch your angles and it is best if the coin vanish is from YOUR hands instead of a spectators. It can be done, but much more angle sensitive. For me, the coin through tic tac box seems to make a little more sense to perform just with how its set up and is virtually angle proof. I have not yet played with the third version of vanishing something under a cup, but honestly, I'm not that excited about that version. This is everything I thought it would be but I was hoping for a nice surprise. Either way it is still a very clever concept and could be mastered, but is not ideal for my performance. I will probably just use it to show people that come to my house, or things of that nature but too much could go wrong in a real performance for me.

I definitely do not want to deter anyone form this effect, I am simply stating my opinions. Without giving away the methoed, I can say that I personally havent had much experience with this particular method, but I'm sure those familiar with the method could master it!

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician
[/quote]
It's one for the drawer of faded dreams I'm afraid.

After putting in hours on this last night it's just not worth the effort.

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.
Hi Jamie,
I'm confused, we didn't sent you a copy yesterday and Hocus Pocus dispatched yesterday too in the US. Did you courier one over from the US on a same day delivery?
Oops! :P
HA.
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 00:25, MotionMagician wrote:

Jim Gravina
Motion Magician
[/quote]
Doesn't seam so bad, he did say it could be mastered! I enjoy effects that take some work to get right. Sometimes when their to easy to learn, I don't appreciate them as much.

Ralph
How much money do people have to lose before a company gets banned for promoting garbage? I don't own this device but talking general, its obvious many are not happy and feel the demo video was BS
Mine hasn't arrived today.
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 12:31, MuscleMagic wrote:
How much money do people have to lose before a company gets banned for promoting garbage? I don't own this device but talking general, its obvious many are not happy and feel the demo video was BS
[/quote]

The video is not edited in any way...it really CAN look that good, but its not easy. What you see in the video IS what you can get, with lots of practice.
Motion, Thanks for the great review!
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 12:41, 8a22a wrote:
[/quote]

Not had mine either. Ironic that its called "The Vanishing" as that's what the Post office do with a lot of mail!

I'm sure it will arrive tomorrow and occupy my weekend.
Shin Lim (after all he has been through - whew!) seems to be a very talented and promising magician.

But...there is NO way I will invest personally in any of his stuff after personally getting burned a few times prior with the "best ACAAN ever" (not) and the video editing debacle.

Lets hope that this release isn't for move monkeys line Shin.

There are many other ways to do the kind of vanishes shown - so is this a step forwards or backwards?

If it is a step back, I think Shin needs to slow down with all the releases for gosh sakes. Enough already.
It's a step forward in terms of method (if the performing circumstances are right) but a step backwards in terms of practical application. For practical purposes I would go back to the Raven or similar device.
It is definitely not a new concept...its a clever USE of an existeing concept, but you will not say "omg wow...ive never seen that before!"
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 14:52, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
It's a step forward in terms of method (if the performing circumstances are right) but a step backwards in terms of practical application. For practical purposes I would go back to the Raven or similar device.
[/quote]

I could not agree more.
I really have to reconsider the practice of pre-ordering...
:D
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 15:27, EricDraven wrote:
[/quote]
Don't worry Eric. We all get carried away.....especially me. :)
I wouldnt call this a WASTE of money. $30 is not horrible. If it were $50 or more, then yes, I don't think it would be worth it.
Could you be set up all day and perform it at a moment's notice?
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 16:15, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Could you be set up all day and perform it at a moment's notice?
[/quote]

Theoretically, yes. Once set up, you could do the effects multiple times if your careful.
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 15:32, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

How come you got it so quickly, Jamie?
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 15:50, MotionMagician wrote:
I wouldnt call this a WASTE of money. $30 is not horrible. If it were $50 or more, then yes, I don't think it would be worth it.
[/quote]

a effect is either good or bad, who wants to use things that are so so in todays times, so its either worth money or not worth a penny, tell people it takes lots of time and lots of talent to make it look as good as the demo,
Then no, its not a waste of money if you have the time and patience.
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 18:04, tomsk192 wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How did you get this so quick?
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 18:04, tomsk192 wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 14:13, RichardDawson11 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 12:41, 8a22a wrote:
[/quote]

Not had mine either. Ironic that its called "The Vanishing" as that's what the Post office do with a lot of mail!

I'm sure it will arrive tomorrow and occupy my weekend.
[/quote]

Be funny if an empty packet arrived. :rolleyes:
Few things in life are so black and white. Some people enjoy practicing magic and getting knacky things to work seamlessly.
How can another person tell ME what is good for ME? I ordered this too and I'll decide for myself. It is obviously not "no skill required"
but I could have told you that sight unseen.
James

[quote]
On 2012-03-29 19:23, MuscleMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 15:50, MotionMagician wrote:
[/quote]

a effect is either good or bad, who wants to use things that are so so in todays times, so its either worth money or not worth a penny, tell people it takes lots of time and lots of talent to make it look as good as the demo,
[/quote]
Was very excited to find what the "Extremely Versatile Gimmick" actually was. Was expecting some clever craftsmanship. :eek:
[quote]
On 2012-03-29 03:36, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

I feel bad for all those yet to receive it who based their buying decision on the demo. It wasn't misleading but I don't think it's anywhere near as practical as people are hoping.
[/quote]

I think you could make it more practical if you wear glasses. :cool:
OK, I got this yesterday. And as soon as I opened and saw the gimmick my heart just sank! My first thought was “I’ve been taken”! I’ve done the “other version” at least 25 years ago and I’ve worked quite a bit with these gimmicks and its other uses and felt that this is probably just a rip-off variation of it. BUT, after watching the video from beginning to end I can say that I’m extremely pleased with my purchase. Here’s why:

First, when you initially watched the demo/trailer you had no idea what the gimmick was. It fooled me and plenty others. That’s a fact.

Second, even if someone told you what the gimmick was, most likely even as a magician you still wouldn’t be able to figure out how it was used to achieve the effect.

Third, and most importantly, the effect looks absolutely magical.

I thought the hookup is ingenious and what this whole DVD was about. Yes, it’s simple and most probably why some people may be disappointed. But that’s the beauty of it. It’s definitely a huge step over the other method and allows for a more natural looking handling. In fact, I think you can even use this hook-up for the “other version”.

Because of the nature of the gimmick I think there will always be some people that won’t be comfortable playing with it; there will always be some that are more naturally finessed at using these gimmicks than others. It’s the same complaint when the “other version” came out. Just like some people learn the pass quickly and others take forever to get the same results and others just never attain it. So for some people this will remain in their drawers.

As for the price, that’s just capitalism at work. I personally felt the price was not unreasonable.

Shin Lim: you’re still young. If you keep going the way you’re going and just ignore the subtle hostilities that are occasionally thrown your way, you look to be a future FISM winner!
Let's be honest though. There is no gimmick. It could have been a video download and half the price.
[quote]
On 2012-03-30 12:39, 8a22a wrote:
Let's be honest though. There is no gimmick. It could have been a video download and half the price.
[/quote]

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Mine is for sale in the sale section of the Café.
Jamie, where did you get yours, and how did you get it so early?
Got mine today. I can understand the mixed reactions from the gimmick to the actual practicalities of performing the effect. As a previous post stated my heart sank when I saw the gimmick, but after watching the DVD I realised that I wasn't buying an effect, I was buying a piece of Shin's genius thinking. I think the world of magic has drastically changed in terms of selling stuff like this (but I'll get to that later). Apart from the coin vanish from your own hands and maybe a spectators, the other effects are impractical and purely based around very well made demos. The paper and cup vanish is TOTALLY impractical. Something like this would be done as an impromptu with a coffee cup and a borrowed note. However the prep required means that this is completely impossible to achieve. I love the afterthought that Shin seemed to have on the DVD by showing a chop cup routine where it could be used. The fact is that it would actually be easier to use the old fashioned loading techniques and misdirection as your average punter would never tell the difference. This is my own opinion!
To sum up, the coin vanish is brilliant and will take some practice and some balls. It looks amazing and really is the only effect worth doing this for as a totally clean vanish!
I love the genius of it!
If I may give an opinion though.......... If there's a demo that someone does in a studio that looks too good to be true then it probably is, otherwise they'd be doing it in front of a surrounded audience. In this circumstance the angles are never great. If like me you do a lot of work surrounded with minimal audience management then stop buying stuff like this as a preorder and it will become an instant download for £7! I know I'm a newbie here as a poster but Ive got over 20 years of accumulated material that has been invaluable to me. I started buying effects recently that I thought would be worth the money and have been left sorely disappointed. The prices are high because the magician has changed into someone that wants immediate satisfaction, with James Bond technology for the lowest price available, and guess what, it never is. And also wants it preordered! Why preorder it? I didn't preorder my copies of Fooler Doolers and they absolutely outweigh absolutely everything I have bought over the last 3 months.
This has turned into a bit of a preach, sorry about that, not my intention.
I know I preordered this along with The Drift. Never, ever, ever again! I did so with the thought that magic had jumped leaps and bounds forward. I was mistaken! The only part of it that has jumped forward is the quality of the preview vids! Now, where's my copy of Royal Road LOL!
That's a fair and balanced rant freedomboy!
Thanks Jamie! I think my point is that as mostly a community of semi pro and hobbyist magicians we should stop paying so much money for ideas and suggestions! I'd actually pay more money for a routine than a single perfect illusion. I think this is where things have gone wrong and I know I've played/paid my part in this. No more though!
Thanks oldspin and Freedomboy for your nicely written reviews!
Ralph
I just finished watching the portion of the dvd involving the vanishing of a coin. While most people by now will probably have a good idea of the gimmick involved, the set up and the choreography involving the vanish and reappearance of the coin is very creative and original. There are angle issues making this impractical for walkaround. However, if you an do this one on one or two or three people, the coin vanish would be quite amazing. What makes it amazing is that do the vanish with short sleeves or with a t-shirt negating even the remote possibility of using a re.l or p..l. In fact, you really have to wear short sleeves or a t-shirt to do this particular effect. You cannot do it with long sleeves, a jacket or a suit.

Do to the fagile nature of the gimmick it may be difficult to repeat the vanish/reappearance of a coin more than a few times, if that much.

This certainly will not take the place of a Raven or similar devices but it is a very novel and magical approach to make a coin vanish in short sleeves or a t-shirt and being able to cleanly show your hands empty and then to make it reappear in your hand or in a spectator's hand. If you are willing to put in the practice and want to perform a coin vanish with one, two or three people in front of you, this is a very magical coin vanish and reappearance of a coin.

Michael
Watched it now...

I do think the gimmick side of things was way over-sold... however, the set-up/usage of it is very simple and clever...which is something to be applauded certainly...

and definitely not worried about price, as I kinda think magic and mentalism is too cheap on the whole - which leads people to not treat it with the love and care it deserves...

so yes, a bit cheeky with the "gimmick" blurb - but overall, very interesting and worth investigating...
What substitutes do you think are better?
Hi
So where is this going to be unloaded, Tricks for sale or DVD's for sale forum ? ;0) I'm guessing that since most of us own the gimmick it's the DVD's for sale forum.
A good friend of mine just got this yesterday and called to give me the scoop.

Not good feedback.

He said this would have been great in a Mark Wilson magic type book, but not to release as an effect.

Those above saying to give Shin a break etc are not doing any favors for this talented young man by rationalizing a series of hurried /so-so release disappointments and the infamous video incident.
Saysold1, My take is Shin should just do his magic. I have heard nothing but good things about him as an entertainer.

He should just stay out of the product side of the business. For now. Maybe for a few years. Maybe 5 or 6 years. Until he "gets" it.

Right now his reputation is in a tail spin. The product side of the business is brutal for practically anyone. I can think of one extremely talented magician who had great products to sell then SANK himself. Now he is much less respected in the magic community and most likely struggling financially compared to just a few years ago.
Did Jamie Ferguson ever say how he managed to have a copy of The Vanishing on 3/28? I can't imagine he missed every post asking about that....
This really should have been an instant download! After buying this effect it is so obvious that the coin vanish is the only effect that was ever considered to be worthy! The tictac and cup routine were added to make it a somewhat worthy DVD release. Both of those ideas are so ridiculously impractical! The coin vanish is very good but certainly not worth the price! This should have been an "instant download" price or been part of a collection of other actually practical ideas.
Oh and no, Jamie never told us how he got an early copy, despite repeated demands! I'm guessing that he never had a copy and was just trolling and got caught out!
Practicality is subjective... Everyone seems to assume that for an effect to be practical, you have to be able to use it in a walk-around situation with a quick reset. Maybe someone can make use of the cup idea in The Vanishing on stage and it becomes totally practical for them. Who knows. Please specify why you think it's impractical when you refer to something as such.
Yes, it is funny that Jamie avoids any questions relating to where and when he purchased this? Jamie- what's the truth? Why do I care? Well, you jumped on me for being "cheeky" for requesting a review by someone who has purchased this which would help me make an informed choice about purchasing this. Something that I have offered many times to Café members and something many Café members themselves request. It seems the "cheeky" one might be you here. So what' the deal?
I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that perhaps Jamie received a comp copy to evaluate it and generate buzz...
Whatever. It looks great in the demo. If you are a person that does not want to practice, fine, but don't talk a bunch of noise about how "Your friend said"

We have first hand info from other people that say the hookup is good. I can guess what the gimmick is and I love the stuff. I have used I for years and have an easy time not breaking.

Anyway, I have a friend who has a dog, and that dog saw a guy that lived in a town that had a place over by the thing, and inside this place they actually talked about blah blah blah.
James

[quote]
On 2012-03-31 12:20, saysold1 wrote:
A good friend of mine just got this yesterday and called to give me the scoop.

Not good feedback.

He said this would have been great in a Mark Wilson magic type book, but not to release as an effect.

Those above saying to give Shin a break etc are not doing any favors for this talented young man by rationalizing a series of hurried /so-so release disappointments and the infamous video incident.
[/quote]
Totally agree Patrick. Except in this case it would probably be exposure. Let's not expose this, just because some people don't like it.
James

[quote]
On 2012-04-01 00:24, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Practicality is subjective... Everyone seems to assume that for an effect to be practical, you have to be able to use it in a walk-around situation with a quick reset. Maybe someone can make use of the cup idea in The Vanishing on stage and it becomes totally practical for them. Who knows. Please specify why you think it's impractical when you refer to something as such.
[/quote]
Not sure you're hunch is correct Saysold1!

From Jaime:

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:36am               

Dominic Reyes

Veteran user
England
384 Posts Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:51am               
Hi Jamie,
I'm confused, we didn't sent you a copy yesterday and Hocus Pocus dispatched yesterday too in the US. Did you courier one over from the US on a same day delivery?
IMHO, at the right time and the right place, this will blow people away. As stated above, it's not for walk around. I also agree that the coin vanish is the best part and this should have been a download at half the price.

-Ron
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 01:03, saysold1 wrote:
I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that perhaps Jamie received a comp copy to evaluate it and generate buzz...
[/quote]
Could be. But if that was the case...why not just say so? It's not as if anyone could accuse him of giving it a positive review in exchange for a free copy. And, as Mike points out, Dominic apparently had no knowledge on the 29th of Jamie being sent a copy, free or otherwise.

Mike, I agree: IF Jamie gave the product a negative review before he'd actually seen it, that would be...cheeky to say the least.

What's especially strange is that, early in the thread, Jamie posted more than once about how he was going to take a wait-and-see approach with The Vanishing rather than pre-ordering it, 'cause it looked too good to be true...and then, somehow, he has a copy on the 28th...despite Dominic not sending him one.

It could be nothing, of course. He might be along any minute to explain how he got a copy so early.
Maybe this is actually an April Fool and we will all get our money back. :lol:
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 06:03, 8a22a wrote:
Maybe this is actually an April Fool and we will all get our money back. :lol:
[/quote]
I managed to get part of my money back by selling it on. What I lost in terms of the difference is what I think this 'secret' was worth. After this and Drift I will never pre-order again. Mind you I said that last time ;-)
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 01:21, mike storz wrote:
Not sure you're hunch is correct Saysold1!

From Jaime:

Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:36am               

Dominic Reyes

Veteran user
England
384 Posts Posted: Mar 29, 2012 3:51am               
Hi Jamie,
[/quote]

It's hardly a great mystery. The Magic Café is a public forum that anyone can read; therefore, many people choose not to post under their real names. I'm sure that Dominic has sold loads of them to people who don't use their real name on public forums.
Hi Caliban

Just to Clarify, I can 100% confirm That the person who posts here as 'Jamie' did not receive one from us before he posted his 'review'.
However, although he is based in the UK, I suppose he could have travelled to the US and picked up a copy from Hocus Pocus on the morning of release, but that would not be the most cost effective shipping method to choose. :)

I really value his opinion, but I did find it strange and wanted to check incase he had fallen victim to someone selling him a pirate or clone copy of the product.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 10:04, Dominic Reyes wrote:
I really value his opinion, but I did find it strange and wanted to check incase he had fallen victim to someone selling him a pirate or clone copy of the product.
[/quote]
And I'm sure Jamie would want to know that the copy of The Vanishing he sold on to someone else was legitimate. I'm sure whoever bought it would be even more interested in knowing if it's pirated merchandise. Is there any chance Jamie could've gotten a legitimate copy from someone other than you or Hocus Pocus in the U.S.?

If Jamie had ordered it under another name, I'm sure he would have said that by now. He could clear this up by simply stating where he got his copy and how he managed to have it on 3/28, if he didn't get it from Dominic. He doesn't seem to want to do that, though.
Played around with this a bit already - it looks just like in the demo, if you're careful with the angles. You can't have anyone behind you or on your immediate left for the coin vanish. If you can perform in those conditions, then this vanish really does look clean and magical. So it has its place as a legitimate vanish. Wouldn't try this in the spectator's hands, though, unless it was in a dark and noisy environment, such as a bar, with a spectator who was already proven to be cooperative and "into" the magic - in which case it might be worth a go.

Don't buy it for the "gimmick," but for the idea. Agree that it should have been more like $15 (and probably will be soon), but then pricing is very subjective. Not sure how original it is - it's hard to believe that this method and effect haven't been done before. I'll leave it to others who are more knowledgeable to answer that question.
I think it's pretty clear Jamie didn't actually have a copy. He just has a 'ego' thing where he likes to appear to be one of the guys in the know. Ever since he posted his, "I'm just happy to have played a small part in taking down the WPR", I've had my suspicians about his motives.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 14:07, rockwall wrote:
I think it's pretty clear Jamie didn't actually have a copy. He just has a 'ego' thing where he likes to appear to be one of the guys in the know. Ever since he posted his, "I'm just happy to have played a small part in taking down the WPR", I've had my suspicians about his motives.
[/quote]
Well, I would hope that's not the case. I think negatively reviewing a product you haven't seen is just about the worst thing you could do on this message board, second only to exposure. In fact, it's potentially worse than exposure -- both hurt a fellow magician, but it's at least possible to [i]accidentally[/i] expose a secret; it's not possible to accidentally claim you've seen something you haven't.
I received a legitimate copy. I gave evidence to the member I sold it to that the copy was legitimate (based on my original order documentation) when he queried it. He was perfectly satisfied.

For a dealer to discuss a customers purchase on an online forum is bad form, and a potential breach of the data protection act. I notice you didn't call me out when I gave Mix a good review, only when I gave The Vanishing a bad one. Hmmmm.

I'm all the more disappointed as you well know I've been a good customer of yours and have consistently said good things about your business on these forums.

Frenchy, why do you keep trying to discredit me? There are many people on the Café who are fed up of your stalker like behaviour of certain members. Maybe you keep popping up whenever I post because you fancy me?! :lover:
Jamie, I don't know you. But it does seem strange you haven't outright clearly stated where you purchased The Vanishing. It affects your credibility, IMO.
Maybe because it's NOYFB how or where he got it?

The real question is why does one total stranger feel as though they can demand private information from another? Just because someone has the audacity to ask a question in no way compels the subject to answer.

Translation: MYOFB.
Jamie, all I've done is ask a question that several other people on this thread have asked (and which you still haven't answered). Do you feel that all of us are stalking you? How long have you felt this way?
Hi Jamie,
I'm not 'calling you out'
As all the pre-orders for the vanishing were dispatched by post from the 28th onwards, I'm just worried for you, as your copy could not have come from my company by post and arrived to you on the same day. If customers did get copies before the release date, its important to follow this up, and warn any other magicians incase it was a pirate copy or clone. Just looking out for you.
And if Jamie was not your customer, then you could hardly be said to be discussing a customers purchase, now could you?

Chance, good advice, you might consider taking it yourself.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 14:49, Chance wrote:
Maybe because it's NOYFB how or where he got it?
[/quote]
I think when a person posts a review in this public forum of a product he may not have seen yet when he reviewed it -- IF we've essentially been lied to -- it becomes our business. Certainly, if someone claims to have a product on the day it's released, and the only person who could've gotten him a legitimate copy that soon doesn't know how he got it, it becomes THAT person's business.

No one's asking for private information. What possible reason could a person have not to answer the question "Where did you buy that?"
I would be hesitant to ask Chance any question about anything. Yow!

(p.s. Chance, you may want to look up the word "demand" in the dictionary).
You guys are barely a half-step from demanding Jamie produce a copy of his invoice just to satisfy your morbid curiosity. Get over yourselves already. It's none of your business. If you don't want to follow the advice of his review, then don't. That's where it ends. Period.

The person's business it truly was, was the guy Jamie later sold it to. Now if [i]that[/i] guy wants to come in here and correct Jamie, that's a whole other story as he has an actual vested interest. The rest of you guys are just kibbitzing, and extremely rudely at that. It's the kind of behavior you can only get away with on the web. Try it during a chess match, or a poker tournament, or a tennis game and see where it gets you.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 15:30, Chance wrote:
The person's business it truly was, was the guy Jamie later sold it to....
[/quote]
...and the guy who sells The Vanishing in the UK and who was, in fact, the first person to ask Jamie where he got his copy and how he could've already had it on 3/28. :P
That is damaged circular reasoning. Your "logic" (so-called) still doesn't compel Jamie to answer your questions.

If you doubt Jamies review, then pass it over and ignore he ever wrote it. That's it. That's all there is to it. You have no right to make any demands on Jamie whatsoever.
Thanks Chance.

I sent a copy of my invoice/receipt to the buyer as a condition of purchase.

He had the right to see it. I don't believe anyone else does. It's not for me to prove anything else to anyone.

I received my legitimate copy of The Vanishing on the 28th. I don't know why I got it on that day. I just did.

Take my review as legit or not, I don't care.

Just know that my opinion on the effect is valid. Others have supported the same points I made, how could I have known what to say if I hadn't received it on the 28th? I notice there was another review posted here on that day too, so it wasn't just me that got it.

I'm done justifying myself here.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 15:41, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I sent a copy of my invoice/receipt to the buyer as a condition of purchase.

He had the right to see it. I don't believe anyone else does.[/quote]
How about Dominic? He doesn't have a right to know where you got it? Maybe you could PM him with that information, if you'd rather not say publicly where you got it.
Explain please exactly what "rights" Dominic has here? He may have questions of his own, but "rights"? Sounds to me like you are simply projecting onto Dominic the same unsatisfied curiosity you've just been corrected for having yourself.

Jamie just said exactly when and how he got the trick in the mail. I understood his statement of fact perfectly. The main difference being, I haven't spent the last 3 days calling him a liar and then finally getting slapped down for it.

If Dominic really wants to pursue this non-issue, then my suggestion would be for him, as Seller, to [i]check his own invoices[/i].
Chance, Still not sure why YOU'RE so steamed-up about this? Something personal?

Oh. Just realized my curiosity will be considered a "demand" and I'll probably get the "NOYFB" response.
Why is it so hard to comprehend that watching someone get pilloried like this over the tiniest issue on planet earth could offend an onlooker? How many times do you guys get to call Jamie a liar in public before a referee is allowed to step in? It's not about me, and it's not about Jamie. I don't know Jamie from Adam. I have no vested interest in this magic trick or in Jamie's life in general. The issue, at least for me, is why do complete strangers feel they have the right to demand intimate details of a person's life just because they happen to visit the same internet chat room? And even worse, start calling the guy a liar simply because he won't give in to your unreasonable demands. Can you just walk up to a random person on the street and do the same?

All Jamie did here was post a review of a magic trick. A teeny tiny little magic trick that costs less than $30. And for that he gets castigated as though he had just raped someone's daughter.

All I'm trying to do is bring some common sense back into this discussion. The only people I am going to offend are the one's that have been believing the worst of Jamie without cause. Boo-freaking-hoo.

You guys are disgusted because you think (without a shred of proof) Jamie lied to you. I'm disgusted that it's so easy to violate someone you have no proof against. I win.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 16:44, Chance wrote:
Why is it so hard to comprehend that watching someone get pilloried like this over the tiniest issue on planet earth could offend an onlooker?
[/quote]
Are you demanding an answer? :P

Why is it so hard to comprehend that some of us would like to know if a negative review was written by someone who hadn't yet seen the product he was reviewing?
For someone who doesn't even own the product Frenchdrop is investing a lot of time and effort in this thread. I wonder why? ;)
By the way, it was one of Dominic's staff that sent me the trick. It even has the name of the checker on the envelope.
Is this all an April Fool's gag?
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:11, Dr Spektor wrote:
[/quote]
I wish it was.

Looks like April 1st is also the day of the witch hunt.
Two have already appeared 2nd hand on the big auction site.

The trick must be good.
Be careful Mehtas. FrenchDrop will appear in a moment asking you to provide proof that two copies are available on an auction site. Maybe you'd better have the links to the site to hand just in case.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:13, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:11, Dr Spektor wrote:
[/quote]
I wish it was.

Looks like April 1st is also the day of the witch hunt.
[/quote]
And to think, all you had to do was say -- three days ago, when Dominic asked how you came to have a copy on 3/28 -- "Why, I got it from you, Dominic! One of your staff sent it."

Oh, well. Opportunities missed and all that.
Yes, you seem to have wasted a lot of time and effort on me.

Not for the first time. I wonder why you do it? :blush:
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:08, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
By the way, it was one of Dominic's staff that sent me the trick. It even has the name of the checker on the envelope.
[/quote]

Jamie,
In order for you to have received a copy from us on the 28th, we would have had to have posted it to you on the 26th or 27th. Our delivery of the product had'nt arrived to us by then. My staff were not physically able to package one before the 28th as they had not arrived from Murphys in the US.

I have no problem with your review, in fact I really welcome the feedback and enjoy your posts on the Café but my concern is that the item you received could be a pirate copy. Worst still, if as you say it waspackaged to appear to come from one of my shops, maybe someone could be passing themselves off as MoM.

Also, I would not want the US dealer, to wrongly think that we had received and dispatched a batch before him! That could cause all sorts of issues between myself, the US dealer and the Distributor. Claiming publically that MoM dispatched one to you prior to launch, is something I would like to find out more about, if you are willing to help me out here.

So you see, me asking you if you would be kind enough to let me know, is not an attack on you or your character. If you did receive one ahead of launch, its important to me to at least ask you how.

I'd really consider it favour if you could let me know. Perhaps by PM or email to sales@magicshop.co.uk if you prefer to discuss this off the forum.

Best wishes as always
Dominic
I think dominic is perfectly within his rights to ask how someone received a product from his shop if he has no record of it - and the claimer is being a bit of an **** over it all...

if all is above board, and nothing to hide - why bother stirring the pot? adults here, surely?

if I was running a business and someone was making claims about it and that claim didn't ring true to me, then I'd want to know about it too...
Dominic, I have an idea: stop placing your customers between you and your distributor and CONTACT YOUR U.S. DISTRIBUTOR AND ASK [i]THEM[/i] INSTEAD.

Jamie has just stated that he can identify the package checker by name. So he's either a pathological liar (possible), or your U.S. distrubutor sent out a few packages earlier than expected (likely). Either way, a simple phone call should fix the problem. And that responsibility falls to you, not Jamie.
No, if jamie is claiming it was sent from magicshop.co.uk, and the packer can be identified, then all he has to do is take a quick snap of it and send it to dominic...simple...

the US distributor wouldnt sent it directly to each person - they'd send them all together in a box, directly to dominic's shop...then his team posts them out to us...
Hi Chance

That's good feedback. I did check this with them as soon as Jamie posted.

My concern is that Jamie reports the package was sent from my company priory to us having any to send out to customers or at least made to look that way. If someone is sending out goods, pretending to be me, that's an issue I need to address both for my company and the quality of service for my customers.

It's totally up to Jamie if he wants to help me out here, but I would consider it a favour.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:57, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Yes, you seem to have wasted a lot of time and effort on me.

Not for the first time. I wonder why you do it? :blush:
[/quote]
Well, Jamie...

[quote]
On 2012-04-01 18:22, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Jamie,
In order for you to have received a copy from us on the 28th, we would have had to have posted it to you on the 26th or 27th. Our delivery of the product had'nt arrived to us by then. [b]My staff were not physically able to package one before the 28th as they had not arrived from Murphys in the US.[/b]

I have no problem with your review, in fact I really welcome the feedback and enjoy your posts on the Café but my concern is that the item you received could be a pirate copy. Worst still, if as you say it waspackaged to appear to come from one of my shops, maybe someone could be passing themselves off as MoM.[/quote]
...THAT'S why.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 18:50, Dominic Reyes wrote:

....It's totally up to Jamie if he wants to help me out here, but I would consider it a favour.
[/quote]

Call the guy a liar half a dozen times and [i]then[/i] ask for his help in clearing up a mess that he didn't make. This makes sense to you? Really?
Chance, Dominic hasn't once called Jamie a liar, let alone "half a dozen times." He hasn't even made half a dozen posts about this matter.

All he's has done is state a fact (that Jamie couldn't have gotten The Vanishing on 3/28 from him), express concern that this may mean Jamie got a pirated copy, and ask Jamie to help him find out if someone's ripping him off. Why do you feel the need to make it something else?
I think Dominic is handling this very well.
[quote]

Just to Clarify, I can 100% confirm That the person who posts here as 'Jamie' did not receive one from us before he posted his 'review'. However, although he is based in the UK, I suppose he could have travelled to the US and picked up a copy from Hocus Pocus on the morning of release, but that would not be the most cost effective shipping method to choose...[/quote]

This is calling Jamie a liar. You don't have to say a specific word in order to convey the desired meaning. The meaning Dominic is aiming for here is crystal clear.

The point I am trying to make, is that these comments do not belong in a public forum. I question why Dominic doesn't spend the same amount of energy contacting Jamie privately. By posting comments such as these, Dominic backs Jamie into a corner. It becomes a contest of wills instead of solving a (very minor) business issue. It could have ALL been solved days ago with ZERO hurt feelings or loss of face.

As for my involvement, I only stepped in after watching this crap go on for days with no sign of letting up. Even if Jamie did exactly what he is accused of -- SO WHAT???? Who did he hurt??? Can you guys not see how incredibly narcisistic you are all being, where you take someone's review of a stupid magic trick and treat it like some kind of felony??? Jamie lied to us!!! How many lies have you guys told over the last 4 days this has been going on? Who around here is so freaking perfect that you can cast so many stones at Jamie? Good grief, get over yourselves already. A little perspective goes a long way.
Well, it looks like the second comming of Christ has finally happened.

-Ron
Chance, if I may make a suggestion:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/maxwellhousecoffee/our-brews/instant-coffee/Pages/Sanka-Instant-Coffee.aspx
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 00:53, Chance wrote:
[quote]

Just to Clarify, I can 100% confirm That the person who posts here as 'Jamie' did not receive one from us before he posted his 'review'. However, although he is based in the UK, I suppose he could have travelled to the US and picked up a copy from Hocus Pocus on the morning of release, but that would not be the most cost effective shipping method to choose...[/quote]

This is calling Jamie a liar. You don't have to say a specific word in order to convey the desired meaning. The meaning Dominic is aiming for here is crystal clear.

The point I am trying to make, is that these comments do not belong in a public forum. I question why Dominic doesn't spend the same amount of energy contacting Jamie privately. By posting comments such as these, Dominic backs Jamie into a corner. It becomes a contest of wills instead of solving a (very minor) business issue. It could have ALL been solved days ago with ZERO hurt feelings or loss of face.

As for my involvement, I only stepped in after watching this crap go on for days with no sign of letting up. Even if Jamie did exactly what he is accused of -- SO WHAT???? Who did he hurt??? Can you guys not see how incredibly narcisistic you are all being, where you take someone's review of a stupid magic trick and treat it like some kind of felony??? Jamie lied to us!!! How many lies have you guys told over the last 4 days this has been going on? Who around here is so freaking perfect that you can cast so many stones at Jamie? Good grief, get over yourselves already. A little perspective goes a long way.
[/quote]

Good points all. Private PM's could have been a much more discrete course.
If only Dominic had sent me a PM in the first place this would have been cleared up in seconds.

Instead he chose to join the witch hunt.

People will make their own minds up here I'm sure.
Hi Saybold1

I couln't agree more. In the past Jamie doesn't appear to respond to our emails or PM's. That's fine, as he has no obligation to answer my question.
However, in his posts he was publicly suggesting that we were breaking the terms of our exclusive agreement with a suppler, I feel it is prudent to publicly reassure our suppliers, distributors and our customers is is not the case. That is not something that can be done individually via email or PM to everyone.
Dominic, I received no pm or email from you about this as you well know. I'm quite happy for a Café mod to check my pm history to prove this.

Also, if you claim I'm not supposed to be a customer how can you claim to have my email address for goodness sake!

This whole thing is a joke.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 02:46, Dominic Reyes wrote:
...However, in his posts he was publicly suggesting that we were breaking the terms of our exclusive agreement with a suppler...
[/quote]

Jamie did no such thing. He merely posted a review of a specific magic trick. The overreaction we are all witnessing is the result of people other than Jamie reacting conspiratorially to that review.

I have 2 questions:

1) Dominic, have you been able to ascertain that Jamie received a copy of your trick [i]at all[/i]? If so, what was the date of shipping?

2) Dominic, what are you prepared to do or say publicly should Jamie post a legitimate copy of his receipt?
Jamie,
Exactly the same thing happened with your request for tracking over your order of 'mix' . I tried contacting you via email and PM so many times, but it't ignored and you only respond via forum posts. It's quite frustrating, but I respect your choice.

When you publicly accuss me of breaking an agreement with a supplier, I think it's quite reasonable for me to publically defend that accusation.
Communicating with you directly is important to me, but so is the need to address the issue to the same audience it was made to.

Please do drop me an email or PM with the details, if you don't mind helping. I'm not exactly hard to contact :)

Best wishes as always
Dominic
Back peddle, back peddle. Are you now saying you didn't send me a pm about The Vanishing?

You know you didn't in which case I'll let the Café make their own minds up about this farce.

Unless you can prove otherwise of course.
[quote]
[/quote]

Dominic, the above post was made 3 hours prior to Jamie's first review comment. So why have you been focusing your attentions solely on Jamie? Here is at least one other guy that claims to have received the trick on the same day and everything, and yet you don't seem to notice him at all.
Dominic has allowed himself to be wound up by the likes of FrenchDrop et al.

I am happy for the mods to check my PM account to confirm that Dominic did not send me a PM about this matter as he has suggested.

I think it's bad practice for a dealer to become part of a public lynch mob.

I also think it's bad for a dealer to have said I'm NOT a customer and then to look back as his records and see that I have ordered from him in the past.
Is this how all his good customers get treated?
Jamie, lol, we both know you never reply to my PM's. If you publicly claim that I sent you a copy before the release date, I don't feel its unreasonable to publicly deny that.

Chance,
Our delivery of The Vanishing did not arrive until after the 27th, we had no physical copies to post to customers when he claims one of my staff sent him one.
If Jamie gave me permission, I am happy to provide proof of posting information about his order, but that's up to him to agree to.
OMG WTF
Dominic, even assuming that everything you say is 100% accurate and everything that Jamie says is 100% untrue, it still doesn't explain why you have singled him out.
Here's a deal.

Dominic, you send me proof that you sent a PM or email about The Vanishing as you suggested a few posts ago. I'll then send you the proof that I received a legitimate copy.

I am happy for mods to check my pm account history.

Can't say fairer than that.

Hopefully that should see an end to this farce.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 03:21, Chance wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Dominic, the above post was made 3 hours prior to Jamie's first review comment. So why have you been focusing your attentions solely on Jamie? Here is at least one other guy that claims to have received the trick on the same day and everything, and yet you don't seem to notice him at all.
[/quote]

Hi Chance, I think MotionMagician is in the US and did not purchase it from my company.
Jamie, could you tell us where your package was shipped from -- e.g., the US or the UK?
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 03:24, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Dominic has allowed himself to be wound up by the likes of FrenchDrop et al.[/quote]
[b]Of course[/b] you make me the instigator in this. :lol:

There's a problem with that, though: I wasn't the first person to ask how you got The Vanishing on 3/28. I wasn't even the second or third person to ask, Jamie. Dominic, a guy who should know, expressed curiosity as to how you could have it so early when he didn't send you a copy. Two others asked the same question. I quoted one of them without comment. A couple of days later, I asked if you'd ever answered the question.

And somehow I'm the ringleader. :rolleyes:

[quote]I am happy for the mods to check my PM account to confirm that Dominic did not send me a PM about this matter as he has suggested.[/quote]
He never said he did. He said he hadn't had success [b]in the past[/b] in contacting you via PM. You're asking the mods to get involved and prove something happened that no one has claimed happened.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 17:08, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[/quote]
OK, I think that's enough. Let's call it a day. If still need be, let Jamie and Dominic mutually settle the scores between themselves in private.

[b]Back on topic please.[/b]

Thank you for your understanding.

:xmas:
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 03:21, Chance wrote:
Dominic, the above post was made 3 hours prior to Jamie's first review comment. So why have you been focusing your attentions solely on Jamie? [/quote]
Chance, MotionMagician's profile says he lives in Fresno, CA. That's where Hocus Pocus Magic is based. He may well have walked into the store on 3/28 and bought The Vanishing in person.

That might just be why Dominic is not asking how he got his copy. :P
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 03:42, Chance wrote:
Jamie, could you tell us where your package was shipped from -- e.g., the US or the UK?
[/quote]
Jamie said someone on Dominic's staff sent his copy, so it'd be the UK.
Or send the snapshot to some of the members here to clarify it. This is just getting silly.
I got that, French.

Even though I still DO NOT understand or endorse the extreme level of animosity that has been directed towards Jamie over this incredibly minor situation, it's only fair that I ask Jamie the same type of question that I asked of Dominic. If Jamie can help put the facts straight without violating anyone's trust I don't see how it hurts to ask.
The one thing I know for sure is this:

If I had bought what I thought was a legitimate copy of an effect, and the dealer I thought it came from expressed concern that it might be a pirated copy because there's no way it could have come from him, I'd be extremely ticked off. I'd want to do anything I could to determine if I'd been ripped off and to help the effect's legitimate dealer locate the person(s) claiming to be him or his staff and selling knock-off merchandise.

Piracy is serious stuff; it saddles magicians with inferior products and drives up the prices of the legitimate stuff. I'd want to do anything I could to help stop it -- especially if there was a chance I was a victim of it.
Yep, Jamies a nice guy and a great contributor to the Café. He doesn't deserve any 'extreme levels of animosity' at all.
It would be good if he could supply me with the info though, as I genuinly would like to help him out and verify he has not been supplied a non genuine product by someone. If he has, its important for me to check others have not had a similar experience.

It doesn't look like he wants to oblige, and that's his call to make.

I'll close my inquiry into this matter as I think it's pretty much resolved to the best level I can without help from Jamie.
I notice you didn't take me up on my offer.

The case is closed from my side too unless you are willing to oblige.

Also, to FrenchDrop - I hope you have enjoyed the commotion you have caused. I notice on other threads people have sussed your midis operandi.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 05:30, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I notice you didn't take me up on my offer.[/quote]
...the one where you asked him to prove something he never claimed? ;)

[quote]Also, to FrenchDrop - I hope you have enjoyed the commotion you have caused. I notice on other threads people have sussed your midis operandi.
[/quote]
Which people and which threads would those be?
Frenchy - yawn.

What's your vested interest here when you don't even own the trick?
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 05:34, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Frenchy - yawn.[/quote]
What's this -- another simple question you won't answer? :P

I don't have a vested interest in The Vanishing. I have an interest in knowing that, when someone posts a review on this board, it's based on actual experience with the effect being reviewed. And I have an interest in the issue of piracy in the magic community. One of those two issues is very much germaine to this thread, although it appears we'll never know for sure which one.
Yawn again.

I have seen the game you are playing here, I will no longer take the bait.
;)
Thought so. People will be wary of you in future.
Anyone tried this out 'in the trenches' yet?
I'm aware it's one of those effects that many could initially feel would be better with a more complicated 'apparatus' involved in the method, but that was a real plus for me when I started using it. Simple, quick and cheap to use daily, are real plus points in my book.

We all do plenty of effects that don't use any equiptment at all.

I had no idea how the coin vanish was done, when I first saw it in action. Its nice to get that 'spectator experience' from a new item, and the reason I've been using it.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 05:57, Dominic Reyes wrote:

I had no idea how the coin vanish was done, when I first saw it in action. [b]Its nice to get that 'spectator experience' from a new item, and the reason I've been using it.[/b]
[/quote]

Yes, I agree! So true!!

:xmas:
You mean the dust REALLY settled?

Very nice.

I'm with Dominic; would like more "in the trenches" feedback.
Yes, and from someone who actually owns it!
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 12:28, rockwall wrote:
Yes, and from someone who actually owns it!
[/quote]
...and the digs continue. Please let it lie rockwall, you are not helping. Dominic is trying to get things back on track. I'm with him on that.
[/quote]

Hi Chance, I think MotionMagician is in the US and did not purchase it from my company.
[/quote]

Yes, I received it before anyone else. I live in Fresno, CA,USA and Hocus-Pocus is just a few blocks from where I work. I know the guys there and they gave me a call when they got it in so I could pick it up. I did not get it BEFORE the release day, I just got it before anyone else beause I live town.
Did anyone besides me investigate the fact that Jamie did indeed sell a copy of The Vanishing back on the 30th? Jamie hasn't answered my simple questions, either, but there is objective evidence available suggesting that he did have it when he said he did:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=460456&forum=76
Here's an idea...why don't we all just discuss the ****ing trick?!
Say, what is this effect about anyway?

I thought it was a coin vanish.... but I actually asked a friend who got it on February 2nd 2012 from a certain animal who didn't see his shadow.

On the back of the tin it says:

EFFECT: Time travel, pseudologica fantastica, parallel worlds, emotional control (induce rage), cognition control (induce paranoia), crowd manipulation (summon mobs), and create mayhem! All through what appears to be a coin vanish. Produce the coin from the bleeding severed heads of the aftermath from the routine.

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS: Normal rate, expect 1-2 weeks, Priority 1-2 days, Tindalos Hound express -3 months (beware paradox waves - but we recommend this last delivery option for heightening the intensity of the effects).

Hmm it is April 2nd... so I guess it wasn't a Fool's thing afterall.

Or IS IT?
Hey Chance,
I don't think anyone is questioning if Jamie had a copy on the 30th when he advertised one for sale, it's earlier on the 28th that was in question.

Probably best to draw a line under this guys. It's going around in circles, and feedback on The Vanishing is probably far more interesting for the majority of readers IMHO

Here's one: I'm doing this with a suit jacket on but with sleeves rolled up ( I know, that ruins the suit, but you know...) I heard mention, that it's best done short sleeved, but I find the jacket cloth really helps with angles.
At work today people asked how my weekend was.

I told them the most interesting thing that happened was 15 grown men, who I don't know, had a heated discussion about whether I received a package on the 28th or 29th March. Needless to say they looked befuddled.

Now please let's respect Dominic's (and my) wishes to draw a line under this debacle and focus on discussing the effect.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 13:29, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
... focus on discussing the effect.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more!
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 12:46, Chance wrote:
Did anyone besides me investigate the fact that Jamie did indeed sell a copy of The Vanishing back on the 30th? Jamie hasn't answered my simple questions, either, but there is objective evidence available suggesting that he did have it when he said he did:

[/quote]

What a slueth you are Chance! And here I thought that anyone could post a ForSale link. How about I post a For Sale link advertising "Chance's ability to reason". And then I'll post a Sold! post a few hours later. I'm sure you would take that as evidence that I actually had in my presence "Chance's ability to reason". However, I will refuse to post the purchasers name so you'll unfortunately never be able to get it back. (I suspect it was lost quite a while ago so not to worry.)

On the other hand, I can certainly see why Jaime is now suddenly all about honoring Dominic's wishes after calling Dominic a liar about something he never said. If I was posting reviews on products I didn't own and got found out, I would want it to all go away too.

Well, I WILL let it go now as Dominic has. Just thought I would end this by saying you haven't fooled anyone and hopefully people will view any reviews you do in the future with suspician.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 15:06, rockwall wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 12:46, Chance wrote:

[/quote]

What a slueth you are Chance! And here I thought that anyone could post a ForSale link. How about I post a For Sale link advertising "Chance's ability to reason". And then I'll post a Sold! post a few hours later. I'm sure you would take that as evidence that I actually had in my presence "Chance's ability to reason". However, I will refuse to post the purchasers name so you'll unfortunately never be able to get it back. (I suspect it was lost quite a while ago so not to worry.)

On the other hand, I can certainly see why Jaime is now suddenly all about honoring Dominic's wishes after calling Dominic a liar about something he never said. If I was posting reviews on products I didn't own and got found out, I would want it to all go away too.

Well, I WILL let it go now as Dominic has. Just thought I would end this by saying you haven't fooled anyone and hopefully people will view any reviews you do in the future with suspician.
[/quote]
...Let me repeat. Please let it lie Mike Engberg, you are not helping. Go and do one of those triathlons you say you do and burn off some of that aggression. Dominic is trying to get things back on track. I'm with him on that.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 15:10, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
...Let me repeat. Please let it lie Mike Engberg, you are not helping. Go and do one of those triathlons you say you do and burn off some of that aggression. Dominic is trying to get things back on track. I'm with him on that.
[/quote]
Your last two posts seem to suggest otherwise. Unless you think "let it lie" means "let me get in one more shot, [b]then[/b] drop it." ;)
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 13:01, Dominic Reyes wrote:
Hey Chance,
I don't think anyone is questioning if Jamie had a copy on the 30th when he advertised one for sale, it's earlier on the 28th that was in question.[/quote]
That's how I understand it. Jamie may well have had a copy on the 30th. Presumably, lots of people had copies by the 30th. That's irrelevant. The relevant questions are whether Jamie had a copy on 3/28 when he posted his review -- and, if so, will he help Dominic identify the person(s) who sold him what must have been a pirated copy?
Maybe we could move this to "right or wrong"? I do think its a poor show from mr ferguson... its like me saying "jamie ferguson got his first viewing off a torrent and really got his copy the same day as everyone else...". He would then ask for evidence of such a claim and I'd use his excuse of "well, you'll just have to take my word for it so there...".

Ahem.

Anyway, anyone done this in reverse? or moved the "thing" to their glasses arm? been years since I dabbled with this kind of stuff...
Jamie - you claimed to have recieved a package from magicshop/dominic on the 28th. That would be physically impossible as they didn't receive the goods til that day, and then sent them out - those of us who pre-ordered received them on the 29th. You have not supplied anyone with any evidence to back this claim up. Something easy for you to have done if it were true. Then you could have gone "ha ha see? you bunch of idiots!".

But you didn't. Which leads me to think that there's something iffy about your claim. Because if I were in your shoes - I would have wanted bragging rights...

so I think you snuck online and saw/got a torrent version to see what the gimmick was...became upset about it once you saw it, and immediately sold it AFTER you actually recieved it. At least, I can say all this without providing any proof...just like you have.

Sorry that I'm going after you - its only the internet and we don't know each other. I just think the behaviour over it all was worth looking at and mentioning. We're all supposed to be on the same side here afterall. Brotherhood, fraternity within magic.

Guess I'm just dissapointed in you Jamie, as you've made some very interesting posts in many other threads.
Dang that hidden proof y'all have. It would solve all.
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 17:38, MotionMagician wrote:
I personally know of 2 people that go it early'

Jim
[/quote]

Just to clarify, not from us they didn't. Jamie states that it came from my company. I'd just like to point out, that this is incorrect.

I don't really want to be involved in this anymore, but would not want anyone to think we had supplied it to him before we had received them ourselves. That would cause an issue with both my suppliers and the creators we represent, so a direct impact on my company.
Look, so what if Jamie got a bit 'over eager' to add in a review. I'm not accussing him of doing so, but what does it matter?
He's been boxed into a corner, there's no need to pressure the guy further. Let him save a bit of face.
It's just a magic review, a fun hobby to most people. In a hundred years who's going to care..
As he claimed publicly that he got it from me, I have a duty to publicly correct that 'fib' but theres no point chewing over it again and again making him feel bad.

Case closed IMHO

Now... I love the Vanishing, and you should too! Prove me wrong! I double dare you!! :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-02 03:35, Chance wrote:
Dominic, even assuming that everything you say is 100% accurate and everything that Jamie says is 100% untrue, it still doesn't explain why you have singled him out.
[/quote]

Well for me, he came out swinging after I asked for a review of this product. He clearly was looking for an argument or to stir things up. Maybe this is his thing. Maybe he enjoys ticking people off. If this is the case he is loving every minute of this thread. This guy is not worth our time guys. As for Dominic, he deserves to know the truth for the reasons he stated. He has a reputation that he needs to uphold. If Jamie said he got it from him and has proof then pm him and let it be over. Until then, he's all talk and laughing everytime one of us responds to him.

So for me.... See ya Jamie. You're not worth my time.
No one received this today? Looking forward to more thoughts on this effect.
Anyone got this and used it yet in the trenches?

R
I got mine from MOM late last week. I can't be absolutely certain what date it arrived but I think it may well have been the 29th. I originally ordered on the 8th March.

I then had 2 emails regarding dispatch: one on the 28th at 21:15 to tell me it had been dispatched, the 2nd email arrived on the 29th at 16:37 - again telling me that it had been dispatched.

This second email carried a a comment saying 'All Vanishing Pre-Orders have now been sent, apologies if you are receiving a second update stating your item has dispatched, this is purely to make sure our system is correct and your order/'s status is in the correct categories.'

I haven't rushed to comment on the effect because to be honest I can't get excited about it. It reminds me of a similar technique to make a coin vanish behind your hand that I played with a few years ago but ultimately never used.

Vanishing is just not practical for me doing walk around / tables. I just can't see me being set up ready to do this and performing other effects either before or after this. There are also some angle issues that mean you can't be surrounded whilst you do it.
Took in by the Hype
My advise don't bother