(Close Window)
Topic: Please help - suggestions for Star Trekkian Beam ins and such
Hi all,

I'm mostly a mentalist and spooky / bizarre magician - did a stage show last year but it was still not grand illusion level... but I am slowly branching into that area as I grow...

This Dec 2012, I'm organizing a large event that involves VIP govt officials, etc. and some of the keynote speakers are astronauts and such... its healthcare simulation based. The metatheme for the event is Quality Healthcare of the Future (22nd Century)

I was thinking of having various touches in the flow of the days with magical illusions to simualate the far future.

One idea I'd like to do is transporter beam in some VIPs for example. I can sound effects etc. and I suppose I can do a empty box and then the VIP is inside...

But I wanted to ask you experts here to brainstorm some ideas if that is OK that might fit the theme and so on.

I'll be having aliens running around too BTW.

:)

Thanks in advance - and if the suggestions are ones you don't want to share publically, please PM me.

Kindest regards,

Bruce
John Bundy had an illusion that worked like this to appear CEO's.
You could also use a simple upright shadow box (like Andrew Mayne's "Specter Cabinet" for example). Simply add spound effects, perhaps some fog, maybe cool lighting...and bingo!

You can build the Specter Cabinet for about $100. His plans are available on his website.
All depends on your budget. Owen's Magic is very expensive craftsman, so an open checkbook would be an asset.

Owen's magic makes a Galaxy Space Wheel which is a space station floating in a box. People just observe it in a walk through type of environment.

They also make the Ray of Transparency, were the performer wears a space suit, and after being exposed to red and green lights his body disappears and the space suit is suspended and move about the stage as if a person was still in the suit.

For illusions they make the Crystal Cylinder:
http://www.owenmagic.com/Illusions/Illusions_6/illusions_6.html

Owen's Fade-Away is another effect, where the assistant gets into the cabinet and gradually fades away and vanishes from the cabinet.

These I think are very futurist illusions.
Thanks guys!!!!
John Bundy actually has/had his Fade-in Fade-out for sale. Drop him a note. Here is the link...

http://illusionbiz.com/john_bundy_and_morgan_067.htm

Paul Osborne also had a modern cabinet designed like a transporter room. With materials at hand it would be a Saturday build.

Blair
We had a guy here in Seattle who built a four or six person (I can't remember exactly which) Transporter which used the Peppers Ghost gimmick to beam people in and out. He did a real good job on it. It's probably more time and trouble than you'd want to go to for a one time gig. But you might check around in your area to see if any Trek Geeks have built a similar type of prop you could borrow
Or better yet, build one and then charge the Trekkies to perform it at their convention!!

B
Fade in/fade out was what I was thinking of. Thanks Blair.

Richard
I was going to suggest Pepper's Ghost built as a Star Trek transporter, w/ overhead lights and such. Avoid the "magic box" look altogether.
That's what Osborne did.

Harbin also has the plans for "The Invisible Man" in his book.

AND...Wilcox Enterprises (no longer in business) use to have an "Atomic Centifuge", they sold it and also put a set of plans out on it.

Blair
Thanks fellows... this gives me a lot to work with!
The fade in / out is still for sale.
Do I get a referral fee for supplying the link above?? (LOL - Just kidding John)

B
Too bad that fade in/out does not look like a Dr. Who telephone booth