(Close Window)
Topic: 10000 decimals of Pi
Check out Vincent Hedan's new release! A great memory effect. http://vimeo.com/38483847

More info on his website...
Received yesterday! Excellent value, easy to do, and very impressive for any layman.
Do you have to use that PI book in the video or can you really recall PI straight up. I mean, why not just give someone a piece of paper with the first few hundred decimals of PI on it and just recite the whole thing? That would be impressive.
Yes you have to have the little book, and that's what makes it impressive, because it has a lot of pages, and you can instantly recall decimals of Pi wherever you want, not only at the beginning.
I have to ask then, is this the real value of PI in the book? If it is then that would be awesome.
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 09:35, sevenup wrote:
I have to ask then, is this the real value of PI in the book? If it is then that would be awesome.
[/quote]

Yeah good question ... I'd find it absolutely impressive if he could just do just like the first two pages IF it is really PI ... like in 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620
899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812 ... .

Some of my friends DO know Pi +/- for 20 numbers ... so I would expect at least the first 30 - 40 numbers would have to be correct. After that it wouldn't matter that much I think.

Now THAT would be absolutely awesome and I'd buy it immediately.
The first decimals (about 50) are the real numbers of Pi. That's all I can say without revealing too much.
I think its a problem if its not the real digits of pi. Anyone with a smartphone can find the first 1000 digits in two clicks. But I hang around scientists......
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 11:32, doriancaudal wrote:
The first decimals (about 50) are the real numbers of Pi. That's all I can say without revealing too much.
[/quote]

So if I understand currectly the 50 first digits are PI and he found an easy way to remember them? If so that alone is quite impressive ... .
I am really interested in this, it does however stress you need knowledge of a non-periodical stack - which I have none. Which version would you recommend for me to invest time learning?
It doesn't really matter as it only takes a few days to memorize a stack. So just pick one. I use the mnemonica stack just because of the ease of going back to new deck order but it still requires an expertise in farrow shuffles which to me is harder than learning a stack. You can have a stack memorized in the time it takes to order this item and receive it in the mail.
This should certainly dispel the notion that magicians are nerds, once and for all. :D

"There are only 10 types of people - those who understand binary code, and those who do not."
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 07:23, doriancaudal wrote:
Received yesterday! Excellent value, easy to do, and very impressive for any layman.
[/quote]
Cool, if it's easy to do it's perfect for you.
In case you want them - here they are:
http://www.piday.org/million.php

likely easilly accessible by iPhone/smartphone uses too.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 12:03, parmenion wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 07:23, doriancaudal wrote:
[/quote]
Cool, if it's easy to do it's perfect for you.
[/quote]

It shouldn't be perfect for you though, because this one is difficult to plagiarize.
My Kid 10 was in a pi contest. He did 161 digits. He said he memorized them in chunks.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 16:44, johncesta wrote:
My Kid 10 was in a pi contest. He did 161 digits. He said he memorized them in chunks.
[/quote]

With this effect, you can memorize 10,000 digits ;)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest in my effect. I'm not often on the Café so I discover this thread only now. Since a few questions have been raised, I'll try to answer them. You might also want to watch the following video, it's a live performance of my effect for lay people in the US:
http://vimeo.com/96800009
(the demonstration's final phase - "birthday" phase - is not available as of yet)

[quote]On Mar 31, 2012, sevenup wrote:
Do you have to use that PI book in the video or can you really recall PI straight up. I mean, why not just give someone a piece of paper with the first few hundred decimals of PI on it and just recite the whole thing?[/quote]
Books listing decimals of Pi already exist for the enjoyment of the math-loving community; I just made one making my effect possible.
If you print the digits on a paper and recite them, there is no build up and no progression in the demonstration. Plus, you can't do the "beginning of page" effect at the start of the effect if you're using a simple printed page. Also, my Pi book is pocket-sized so you can transport it everywhere easily, like my previous Haiku book test.

[quote]On Mar 31, 2012, Killertweety wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-03-31 09:35, sevenup wrote:
[/quote]
Yeah good question ... I'd find it absolutely impressive if he could just do just like the first two pages IF it is really PI ... like in 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620
899862803482534211706798214808651328230664709384460955058223172535940812 ... .
Some of my friends DO know Pi +/- for 20 numbers ... so I would expect at least the first 30 - 40 numbers would have to be correct. After that it wouldn't matter that much I think.
Now THAT would be absolutely awesome and I'd buy it immediately. [/quote]
seven-up, the simple answer to your question is: no, it's not really Pi in my book. Here is the real question though: can the audience tell? Absolutely not :D

Killertweety, the first page is really Pi, then my "system" takes over. I too have friends who know more than the usual 2 decimals and I've performed the effect for people who know a lot of decimals (Arthur Benjamin, for example). The first page is a long enough convincer, so don't worry.

[quote]On Apr 1, 2012, Loz wrote:
I think its a problem if its not the real digits of pi. Anyone with a smartphone can find the first 1000 digits in two clicks. But I hang around scientists...... [/quote]
I beg to differ, and I'll explain why.
The first phase is you being able to recall the first digits of any page in the book. This phase cannot be debunked or denied by verifying Pi on the internet, since the layout of the book is, by definition, specific to the book.

The second phase is you being able to recite Pi from a position chosen by the spectator who gives you 5 consecutive digits. Let's imagine some crazy person in the audience pulls out his smartphone, gets on the internet, finds a website listing at least 10 000 decimals of Pi, does a string-search corresponding to the 5 consecutive digits. . . I hope you see that he would simply not have the time to do this before you have recited at least 10 decimals. He cannot catch up with you so he can't double check.

[quote]On Apr 1, 2012, Killertweety wrote:
So if I understand currectly the 50 first digits are PI and he found an easy way to remember them? If so that alone is quite impressive ... . [/quote]
I'm an illusionist, my job is only to pretend, not to do the real thing :D I found a way to create the very convincing illusion of me having memorized Pi.

[quote]On Apr 1, 2012, Kobra wrote:
I am really interested in this, it does however stress you need knowledge of a non-periodical stack - which I have none. Which version would you recommend for me to invest time learning? [/quote]
The Mnemonica stack by Juan Tamariz is great. On my website, you'll find a list of some the famous stacks that are compatible with my effect.

A new full presentation of the routine can be seen in my recent Penguin Live lecture, followed by some explanations.
Here is a video presenting the new version of my Pi effect. Now you can do the birthday ending. Also, there is an option to perform the routine even if you don't know a stack.
http://vimeo.com/157997645
Hmm, not hugely excited until I listened to the speil that goes with the trick and it opens up a world of possibilities.

Strikes me that, if you attributed numerical values to cards you could potentially have a phase where the spec picks a card (forced) and then you reveal their card through the book.

This whole thing about pi holding every bit of information about everything ever, opens up a world of fun.
I stumbled upon the original live demo last night whilst looking for something else and ordered straight away. This fits perfectly into a slot in my show that I was looking to fill. Annoyingly the other day I purchased the recollector which is a great effect but not as perfect a fit and almost double the price of this. Had I known about this a few days earlier the money I spent on the recollector probably would have gone towards the Babel book test.

Mark
Ordered. ;)
Just to clarify...

Is the birthday routine available with all stacks or is it just the stackless version?

I currently have the original effect for Aronson, but really think the birthday phase is the perfect end to the effect.
[quote]On Mar 13, 2016, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Is the birthday routine available with all stacks or is it just the stackless version? [/quote]
The birthday finale is only doable with the new version that has just been released. Regardless of the new version you get (new "with stack" or new "stackless"), the birthday finale itself doesn't require you to know a stack.
Hi Vincent,

So with the new book you can do all the routines stackless or do you still need to know a stack and can you only do the birthday revelation stackless?

Beeing impressd by your Penguin Lecture and "Your thoughts are my playground" , I would like to recommend these to other people who are reading this thread!
[quote]On Mar 14, 2016, Marc O wrote:
with the new book you can do all the routines stackless or do you still need to know a stack and can you only do the birthday revelation stackless?[/quote]
I'll try to explain again :)
(the following is also outlined in the video on my website)

This new release of Pi contains 3 effects:
Effect 1 - The spectator gives you any page number and you tell him the first few digits of this page.
Effect 2 - The spectator gives a string of 5 digits (without telling you where on the line or the page) and you keep reciting the digits from this spot.
Effect 3 - The spectator gives you his birthday and you tell where he can find the corresponding sequence in the book.

Pi is available in 2 main versions: stack or stackless.

If you want the stack version, you go on my website, choose the stack you know already (Mnemonica, Aronson, ...) and you receive a book coded for this particular stack. You can then perform effects 1, 2 and 3. Effect 3 doesn't require the knowledge of a stack.

If you want the stackless version, you go on my website, choose the stackless version and you receive a book coded with special mnemonics (no math, no cards). You can then perform effects 1, 2 and 3. Effect 3 doesn't require the mnemonics.

Hope this helps ;)

[quote]On Mar 14, 2016, Marc O wrote:
Being impressed by your Penguin Lecture and "Your mind is my playground" , I would like to recommend these to other people who are reading this thread![/quote]
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed those! "Your mind..." is still available on my website.
Thank you sir! everything clear now.

No stack + birthday revelation, best of both worlds!
Ordered yesterday ! I'm looking forward to receiving your book ! Happy PiDay ! :)
Hi Vincent,

So if the birthday does not require you to know a stack, then what is the difference between the books being stacked and non stacked?

Does the stacked book allow you to perform other effects?

Also, about how much time should I expect to practice before being able to perform this. Not in a rush or anything, just curious.

Thanks,
Matthew
[quote]On Mar 14, 2016, MatthewSims wrote:
if the birthday does not require you to know a stack, then what is the difference between the books being stacked and non stacked?

Does the stacked book allow you to perform other effects? [/quote]
This has been answered in my previous posts here, and on the video on my website ;)

[quote]On Mar 14, 2016, MatthewSims wrote:
About how much time should I expect to practice before being able to perform this. [/quote]
If you know a stack well and buy a stack version, you'll be up and running in 10 minutes.
If you don't know a stack and buy the stackless version, you'll have a little something to memorize, let's say the same length as a very short nursery rhyme.
Sounds good. I just sent you a PM.
Here#s a question. if you get the stackless version can you later update to a stack version without having to buy the whole thing again? I know BCS and The Solution but I wasn't confident I am quick enough with either to perform the second effect so I went for the stackless.

Mark
[quote]On Mar 14, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
if you get the stackless version can you later update to a stack version without having to buy the whole thing again?[/quote]
Each version is a different book so you would have to buy a new book if you wanted to change version.
Just ordered the Stackless version, now I have got something to read during my evening shift in a few hours :)
Looking forward to receiving the book and going out to perform this.
People around me have seen me solve rubic cubes and memorised complete card decks, now Pi takes it a whole step further!

To bad I will be in the US during your lecture in Belgium pretty soon, would have loved to drive from Holland to meet you there.
I have also ordered the Stackless version, and am really looking forward to this. It's a nice touch that instructions are available immediately, so that buyers can be "memorizing the little something" while waiting for the book to arrive.

Craig
Where are the instructions available? I ordered this several days ago and did not receive any instructions.

Mark
[quote]On Mar 15, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Where are the instructions available? I ordered this several days ago and did not receive any instructions.

Mark [/quote]
After my Paypal payment went through, I was taken to a page that contained links to PDF instructions.

Craig
I was merely redirected to the main page. I would certainly have liked to receive the instructions. Perhaps they were added once the product went live. If someone with the stack less instructions would like to send me the instructions I have proof of purchase in the form of my PayPal receipt.

Mark
Ok it was me being stupid, ordered on my iPhone and switched to another tab. Fortunately the tab was still there so able to download the instructions.

I would say if you know a stack go for the stack version. This is something that is going to take a lot of work unless you already know a stack intimately. The stackless version needs some serious mental gymnastics to perform the second effect anywhere near the speed that it is performed on the demo. I don't know either of my stacks well enough to get even 10% of that speed. If I'm honest I'm probably going to find it easier to memorise the sequence of numbers that learn the words and calculate the sequence on the fly.

This is a great effect but it will take a lot of effort to be able to perform it as well as Vincent does and I would say that the stackless version is probably harder than learning a good stack intimately and you get the added benefit of knowing the stack too. Now I have to decide whether to simply work harder on my stack and get that version rather than putting the effort into the stackless version.

Mark
I love this effect and am I big fan of Vincent in general (Babel is one of my favorite book effects).

I have the original 10,000 digits in an Aronson stack. I know the stack pretty well, but found that for the second effect, where the participant gives you a string of numbers, I struggled because there are actually two lines of thinking you might have to use - one for even pages and one for odd (the +1) side. Hopefully, none of this makes sense unless you already have the effect, but my point is that I actually think the stackless version is going to be easier because you don't have to mess with the +1 factor for odd page numbers.

Also, love that the new book is larger in size and looks like it will handle participant wear and tear a bit better.
Personally I find the stackless version harder because you still have the odd and even but now you have words that you have to convert into numbers on the fly. If I'm going to convert words into numbers I find it far quicker and easier using the phonetic system. I could learn the full sequence of numbers faster than I could learn the words used in the stackless version and I can convert back from that system at high speed as opposed to the way this works. I've never been good at this kind of conversion I have another effect that uses similar methodology and it takes me a long time to do the conversion. Being dyslexic is not good for the stackless version, numbers on the other hand I have no trouble with. The recollector I could do forward/backwards and inside out within minutes (ok that's a far easier system). Likewise I learned Atlas and Ravens solution in one read through.

I love Vincent's thinking and have also purchased Babel but I think my dyslexia is going to keep the stackless version out of my reach. However the stack version is well worth the effort required to learn and become proficient in a stack. Until now I have not needed to be able to recall a stack at speed. This gives me the motivation.

Mark
Super SUPER Clever!! Bravo!
I know all the digits of Pi already. Just not in the right order.
The stackless version needs some serious mental gymnastics to perform the second effect anywhere near the speed that it is performed on the demo.[/quote]
The mnemonics used in the stackless version are exactly that: mnemonics. You can use them as they are, and you can also use them as helping hand for your first days/weeks of performing the effect, after which you may find out that you just know the numbers, without the mnemonics. It's a bit like the Osterlind stack or the Joyal stack: some users know the system and navigate the stack thanks to the system, and some other users stopped using the system after a while because the stack itself was memorized with the help of the system.

I don't know either of my stacks well enough to get even 10% of that speed.[/quote]
Well, I've known my stack inside out for 12 years now, and I've been performing Pi for 5 years, so you can expect to be quicker with time and rehearsal :)

If I'm going to convert words into numbers I find it far quicker and easier using the phonetic system.[/quote]
If you want and you find it easier, you could actually come up with your own phonetic words based on your Pi book.
I think this is a cool idea. I ordered
My copy of this arrived today, really well produced book, I may actually buy the genuine book from ebay too. This is more than worth the effort involved, even with my dyslexia I'm getting there with the stackless version. I can complete the sequence albeit not at high speed currently. A week or two more of solid practice and I should have this down to a decent speed. If you aren't dyslexic like me this should be easier to get under your belt although it is still going to take some effort, but the payoff is more than worth the effort. Unfortunately this has made the recollector redundant and I can't sell the recollector on.

Mark
Mark,

I just bought this about a week ago (Stackless version). Something that I've found that helped was to create flash cards to practice.

I first wrote each letter of the system on an index card, then turned it over and wrote the respective number that represents that letter in the system. We obviously all know our ABC's, but being able to recall each letters numerical position takes a little practice. The flash cards help.

I then did the same for the months of the year for the birthday reveal. Again, I obviously knew my months of the year in order, but writing flash cards and mixing them up randomly allowed me to know that June is the 6th month, rather than just knowing that it comes after May.

I think the key to this (if you're really serious about performing it) is to practice it every single day. It just has to become second nature to the point that you really don't even have to consciously think about it. I think the payoff is well worth it. This is one of the most believable demonstrations of pseudo memory I've ever seen, and I think I've seen just about all of them. It's got all the components that I believe make a good, solid routine. It has multiple phases, impossible to backtrack, can be handled and examined...the list goes on. Vincent has created an amazing piece of work here. He definitely deserves a tip of the hat.

In today's magic and mentalism, so much BS is being "created" every day by people who never perform. It's clear that Vincent is a performer. It's nice to know that there are still people out there like Vincent who are willing to work hard at creating something they have a vision for, and working at it till they achieve it, rather than popping out a freaking Ebook of junk that offers nothing knew and is taking steps backwards in mentalism.

Mark, you mentioned Docc's Recollector and it becoming obsolete once discovering this. I actually believe (in the right circumstances) that these two things can compliment each other. You could perform Recollector to show how you are capable of memorizing random strings of digits called out by the audience, and then show them how you have used those skills to memorize 10,000 digits of Pi. On the contrary, you could do the opposite as well. Demonstrate the memory of Pi, then perform Recollector, memorizing the audiences' numbers they call out. This can seem more impressive because you are memorizing the numbers in the moment (as opposed to memorizing Pi at your own pace over the course of however long).

In short, this is truly a reputation maker. I know that's a cliche these days, but it fits the bill here. If you're thinking about performing this, be prepared to put in some work, and then be prepared to be talked about by everyone for a long time to come.

All the best,
Matthew
Thanks for the tip Matthew however flash cards won't help, memorisation isn't the problem I have all of the words solidly locked in. The problem is that due to my dyslexia I will even spell the word "and" wrong if I do it at speed and flash cards won't help. To give you an idea I usually have to edit a short post on here twice after posting and a long post can take up to 5 edits to get all of the spelling mistakes out.

You are absolutely correct that this is something that needs to be practised properly to get it locked in. This is a solid routine that is well worth every single bit of effort required to do it justice. As far as the recollector is concerned there is no room for it in my show as I already do 2 memory demonstrations, one pre-memorised (pi) and one on a time limit (Bob Cassidy's master card memory). The time limit hides my lottery prediction wit the reveal of the lottery ticket being in response to a question in my Q&A.

You might say that memorising 52 cards is a lesser demonstration that memorising 10000 decimals of pi, but anyone can memorise 10,000 decimals of pi if they have enough time .... and no friends. Its far more difficult to memorise something quickly, for example the world record for memorising a deck of cards is a minute dead. I'm going to attempt to break that record ... sir, how long do you think it will take me, bearing in mind I intend to break the record? Oooh now we are limited to 1-59 without screaming lottery prediction.

Mark
Very clever, very clever method indeed.
Vincent is a genius. This will fly by 99.99% of specs. So clever. As has been said, a little work to memorize what needs to be memorized (I have stackless version). But then you are off to the races. I am quite pleased and would recommend this -- highly.

Preston
I've now got this locked in and have performed this and it absolutely kills. The book will stand up to pretty close scrutiny but I still went ahead and ordered the genuine article from Anazon. Great thing is I can fit both into my inside jacket pocket together so in the unlikely event that anyone wants a closer look (because they are a pi geek) I'm completely bullet proof. The other great thing is that if you struggle a bit to recall or translate any of the digits it's not a problem because that is perfectly consistent with trying to pull something difficult from memory. Struggling a bit adds credibility.

This is underpriced for the strength of the effect and the amount of work that went in. One thing that might be an idea is to offer a package version with the genuine book to save ordering it separately off Amazon.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 1, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I've now got this locked in and have performed this and it absolutely kills. The book will stand up to pretty close scrutiny but I still went ahead and ordered the genuine article from Anazon. Great thing is I can fit both into my inside jacket pocket together so in the unlikely event that anyone wants a closer look (because they are a pi geek) I'm completely bullet proof. The other great thing is that if you struggle a bit to recall or translate any of the digits it's not a problem because that is perfectly consistent with trying to pull something difficult from memory. Struggling a bit adds credibility.

This is underpriced for the strength of the effect and the amount of work that went in. One thing that might be an idea is to offer a package version with the genuine book to save ordering it separately off Amazon.

Mark [/quote]

Well stated Mark.
(Side note: Train Tracking made me dyslex lol)
I just ordered this as well.
I knew from Vincent's other releases that this would require some effort.
Just challenging enough to give you a satisfied smirk,
when you start to put it all together.

Exactly what I was in the mood for.

Thanks Vincent.
Fantastic creation, much appreciated :)
Ordered Mnemonica version yesterday. :-)
What a great, unique trick!
If you really want to show off you can do phase 2 backwards instead of forwards, or give them a choice.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 14, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
If you really want to show off you can do phase 2 backwards instead of forwards, or give them a choice.[/quote]
Yes, that was part of the very first version and I will describe it briefly in an upcoming video that will also reveal additional ideas and bonus contained in Pi ;)
[quote]On Apr 17, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
[quote]On Apr 14, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
If you really want to show off you can do phase 2 backwards instead of forwards, or give them a choice.[/quote]
Yes, that was part of the very first version and I will describe it briefly in an upcoming video that will also reveal additional ideas and bonus contained in Pi ;) [/quote]
Hi Vincent,
Will the previous purchasers of Pi receive a free copy of this upcoming video? :-)
[quote]On Apr 17, 2016, TazBo wrote:
Will the previous purchasers of Pi receive a free copy of this upcoming video? :-) [/quote]
Yes, actually the video will be public since it contains general tips as well, and only Pi users will be able to understand/implement the bonuses ;)
This really looks good. I appreciate some of the input, particularly the idea that it may be better to get a stack version.

I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick? Would it be The Osterlind stack?

KJ
I have had a lot of fun with this, but the other day I had a slight hiccup. I did not take the book back after doing phase 2. Of course I got the numbers right, but then the woman started skimming through the book and stumbled on the same order on a different page. This was definitely an audience management issue. Lesson learned.
I always get the book back immediately and then I switch it out for the genuine book and leave that on my table just in case anyone wants a closer look after the show.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 18, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
This really looks good. I appreciate some of the input, particularly the idea that it may be better to get a stack version.

I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick? Would it be The Osterlind stack?

KJ [/quote]
If you don't already know a stack I would go with the stackless. BCS is pretty easy to learn but I suspect phase 2 would be much harder with a stack unless you know your stack intimately. The stackless version takes some effort but far less effort than learning a stack.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 17, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
I don't use any stacks. Can you suggest the easiest stack to pick?[/quote]
If you don't know a stack already, I'd recommend going for the stackless version, you'll be up and running quickly. If you know a stack, it'll also be fast and easy, but because you'll already know your stack inside out.

Aside from Pi, I strongly encourage you to dive into stack magic, it will greatly improve your card work, if that's something you're interested in. Choosing the right stack for you can be challenging, so I outlined some tips here:
http://www.vincenthedan.com/magic/blog-stackchoice.html
Mark and Vincent,

Thanks for your input. I have worked a bit with stacks in the past. I do a variety of magic, including card magic, but not exclusively card magic. I have developed some card effects that work for me, some with regular shuffled cards and others with some gimmicks. They are designed around the entertainment value more so than the technical aspects.

Several years ago I developed a stack that I used in combination with some really good routines with a certain theme. The theme worked really well with audiences and they loved it. It took me over a year just to develop the stack. I used it for a while, but didn't keep up the effort to stay on top of it.

I have some exposure to most of the stacks available for this effect, and if memory serves me, it seemed to me that Osterlinds was the easiest.

I guess I need to decide if I really want to put in the effort and continuous work on a stack. I'll take a look at the link you provided.

Thanks.

KJ
Vincent,

Hi. I just read your link on choosing a stack. That was very good! Thank you.

I now see the wisdom in avoiding stacks that are calculus or mnemonic stacks, which would rule out the Osterlind stack.

I already have a ton of effects and routines that I developed for my own themed stack, not only routines related to the theme, but the various routines associated with a good stack, like poker and blackjack demonstrations, spelling, etc.

Since you don't have a book for my stack, I think that puts me back to your original suggestion of the stackless version.

Unless... you might consider my stack. The theme is really awesome!

KJ
[quote]On Apr 21, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Unless... you might consider my stack.[/quote]
I could indeed do a Pi book "coded" for your sequence (I've done a few custom ones), after testing it to see if it'd work. If you want to go this way, you can email me your stack order and I'll test it.
Received mine from Vincent a few days ago and I am really pleased with it.

As a long time user of the Aronson Stack it took me about 1 hour to be really comfortable with the methodology.

I've not tried it for "real people" yet but I can see it being very strong. The 3 phases build well and I think the final phase is incredibly strong.

If you're prepared to put the mental effort in you will be well rewarded.
[quote]On Apr 21, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
[quote]On Apr 21, 2016, 1KJ wrote:
Unless... you might consider my stack.[/quote]
I could indeed do a Pi book "coded" for your sequence (I've done a few custom ones), after testing it to see if it'd work. If you want to go this way, you can email me your stack order and I'll test it. [/quote]

I'll get you my stack in a few days. Thanks.

KJ
To bad if it's not the real Pi sequence. I remembered the first hundred digits of Pi in under an hour. It's so aesy and still get amazing reactions.

Just used the journey method with my own house as a familiar location.
Easy as pi :-)
[quote]On Apr 22, 2016, Magic_Niels wrote:
To bad if it's not the real Pi sequence. I remembered the first hundred digits of Pi in under an hour. It's so aesy and still get amazing reactions.

Easy as pi :-) [/quote]

Good for you show off. Shame your spelling isn't as good as your memory.
[quote]On Apr 22, 2016, pegasus wrote:

Good for you show off. Shame your spelling isn't as good as your memory. [/quote]

Lmao and ditto lol
Im also leaning towards calling bs on that claim, just sayin :)
It's a perfectly reasonable claim.

There's a youtube vid that claims to show you how to memorize the first 100 in under four minutes, that one I'm not sure about.

But look how little time it takes Harry Lorayne to memorize the first & last names of an entire theater full of people.
[quote]On Apr 22, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:

There's a youtube vid that claims to show you how to memorize the first 100 in under four minutes, that one I'm not sure about.

But look how little time it takes Harry Lorayne to memorize the first & last names of an entire theater full of people. [/quote]

True, but Harry Lorayne is setting the bar pretty high though sheesh lol
[quote]On Apr 22, 2016, 252life wrote:
[quote]On Apr 22, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:

But look how little time it takes Harry Lorayne to memorize the first & last names of an entire theater full of people. [/quote]

True, but Harry Lorayne is setting the bar pretty high though sheesh lol [/quote]

Oh for sure. But if Harry can do that in - what, 20 minutes? - somebody who knows what they're doing should certainly be able to memorize 100 numbers (in reality, probably 25 numbers ("fourteen fifteen, ninety-two sixty-five", etc. etc.)) in an hour or so.

Niels,

Don't mind the jealous ones. How did you remember them? Did you use some method to make it easier, or was it just wrote memory?

I ask because he can create a custom book. Perhaps the first page could be the real PI and the rest could be the "method". that would make the routine even more powerful. You could have someone pull up PI on their calculator to verify the first several numbers and then go forward with the routine.

KJ
KJ that's completely unnecessary and doesn't make the effect stronger it just falls into the category of over proving. The first page is already the real decimals of pi and the rest of the book is bullet proof as long as you don't leave it in their hands after the effect. You can also pick up a copy of the genuine book if you want to leave it lying around after the show.

As far as really memorising 100 or so digits, using the phonetic system you should be able to get 100 digits under your belt within 20 minutes. I'm sure Harry Lorraine would do it in 5.

Mark
I don't think it was jealosy.
More along the lines of commenting on, what read as,
an overly boastful claim stated on the back of an attempt at diminishing the effect.
Apparently based on anecdotal theroys read here.

On second thought, you are correct.
I reconsidered the whole issue.
I'm torn with jealosy,
Please forgive as this guilt is eating me up lol

(All in fun folks. Honestly)

Back to Pi though..
I have the stackless, and really love it.
It's fun to learn as well imo.
Pi patter -

Current Guinness world record holder is Suresh Kumar Sharma, who has memorized the first 70,030 digits.
[quote]On Apr 23, 2016, 1KJ wrote:

Niels,

Don't mind the jealous ones. How did you remember them? Did you use some method to make it easier, or was it just wrote memory?

I ask because he can create a custom book. Perhaps the first page could be the real PI and the rest could be the "method". that would make the routine even more powerful. You could have someone pull up PI on their calculator to verify the first several numbers and then go forward with the routine.

KJ [/quote]

:-) KJ, I don't mind if anyone is jealous. That wasn't my intesion when I wrote it.

I just don't see the point in buying this effect, although it's still a great effect, when you can get the same effect just from memory with the real pi sequence.
There is a video where memory champion Dominic O'Brien explains his simple method. It's in this video at 16min.18sec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo6h8zhejmU

let me know how it went!

And sorry for my bad english. It's not my native language ;-).
And talking about a showoff, take a look in the vid how Dominic O'Brien remembers a random 50 digit number just by hearing it once. :-)
I purchased the Osterlind Stack version, as I’m very familiar with it and have used it on numerous occasions but after further review and countless hours of studying and head scratching, I must now concede that the Stackless version is probably what I should have purchased. Now this brings me to my dilemma, is there anyone who would like to trade their Stackless version book for my Osterlind version book? I haven’t used the book and it’s in pristine condition. Any takers, please feel free to contact me, I’m willing to send my book first and once you receive it you can send me yours, any takers?

Thank You
[quote]On Apr 23, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
KJ that's completely unnecessary and doesn't make the effect stronger it just falls into the category of over proving. The first page is already the real decimals of pi and the rest of the book is bullet proof as long as you don't leave it in their hands after the effect. You can also pick up a copy of the genuine book if you want to leave it lying around after the show.

As far as really memorising 100 or so digits, using the phonetic system you should be able to get 100 digits under your belt within 20 minutes. I'm sure Harry Lorraine would do it in 5.

Mark [/quote]

Thanks for sharing. I am really liking the idea of this book. I think you are right. I don't see anyone questioning whether the book really is PI.
I just don't see the point in buying this effect, although it's still a great effect, when you can get the same effect just from memory with the real pi sequence. [/quote]
The point is it's not the same effect, memorising the first 100 digits of pi is not the same effect as memorising the first 10,000 decimals of pi. By all means buy the genuine book from Amazon and attempt to reproduce this effect using memory alone with the full real sequence.

The value here is not merely in the demonstration of memorising a lot of numbers it is in the structure of the routine with each phase being more impressive and more difficult as well as being able to add some relevance by locating the spectators birthday in pi. This isn't simply reciting 3.14195.......... etc for 100 or so digits.

First they give you a page number and you tell them the first line of that page. Then they open to any page and give you 5 consecutive digits from anywhere on that page and you identify where they are in pi and continue from that point the next 70-90 digits with no repeating sequence or discernible pattern, you could even go backwards if you choose, or if you want to be really flash you could go forward 40 or so digits and back 40 or so. Finally they tell you their birthday and you tell them the page number, the line and even the position within the line that their birthday falls.

So that's the point of buying this effect, you get a full three phase entertaining routine for a fraction of the effort required to learn even the first 100 digits of pi.

Mark
I met Vincent Hedan at the CAM Cnvention in Quebec City , Canada .

I saw him perform the Pi routine.
So great .

I bought the stackless version.

And Vincent is such a nice person !
Here is a new video of my live performance of Pi at 4F this year: http://vimeo.com/167086974

The FAQ video will follow soon, with extra bonuses :)
Fantastic!!!! Man, I keep holding off on working on your effect, but you are pushing me to get to it. Great job!

Greg
[quote]On May 19, 2016, Greg Arce wrote:
Fantastic!!!! Man, I keep holding off on working on your effect, but you are pushing me to get to it. Great job!

Greg [/quote]

Same with me, still struggling on and off with the second phase but this video pushes me to grab the book again and start practicing.

Vincent, unbelievable performance, especially the second face!
Great effect!
If anyone has the Joyal Stack version please PM me; I've a problem with pages 46 and 47 in the book.

~ Nique
Sorry; problem solved by Vincent himself!

The problem lay with me. :)

~ Nique
This looks good! I recently met a teenager who could legitimately name 30 decimals of Pi. I can name 1 decimal legitimately.
Did this last night as a prelude to Sphinx Divination. The combination fried a semi-pro poker player. ;)
[quote]On May 26, 2016, jtmorris wrote:
This looks good! I recently met a teenager who could legitimately name 30 decimals of Pi. I can name 1 decimal legitimately. [/quote]

I'm up to two: 14

KJ
My turtle Poncho, will, my love, pick up my new mover, Ginger.

That's 23 decimal places right there.
When you rattle off 20 digits in twenty seconds the look on their face is --- priceless. hahahahahahhaha And provides a needed break in an all mentalism show. IMHO
When will the faq video with bonuses be released?
[quote]On Jun 8, 2016, DutchFrank wrote:
When will the faq video with bonuses be released? [/quote]
Soon :)
I'm currently touring the UK with my mentalism lecture and I plan to release the video when I come back home, during June's last week ;)
Woot! Can't wait. I really love this effect.
Btw, if anyone is reading this has not checked out Vincent's book test, do so.
Babel is another fantastic release.
His stuff takes some (fun) work, and worth all of it.
I like this and Babel.

Billion
[quote]
I'm currently touring the UK with my mentalism lecture and I plan to release the video when I come back home, during June's last week ;) [/quote]

Where are you lecturing? Anywhere is the South or more specifically South West?
[quote]On Jun 10, 2016, Therealmagician wrote:
Where are you lecturing?[/quote]

Here is the schedule :)

June 2: Hull
June 3: Bradford
June 6: The Magic Circle in London
June 7: Northampton
June 8: Zodiac Magical Society, in Ealing
June 9: Surrey
June 13: Manchester
June 14: Blackpool
June 15: Sheffield
June 16: Nottingham
June 21: The British Magical Society, in Birmingham
June 22: Leamington
June 23: Reading
Wow, this looks great! In the presentation you say that your birthday is not in the book, is that really the case or is it just the presentation? Because otherwise you might get people who will be disappointed you cannot find their birthday in the book :P
[quote]On Jun 13, 2016, Sanderr wrote:
In the presentation you say that your birthday is not in the book, is that really the case or is it just the presentation?[/quote]
It's just the presentation, every birthday is actually in the book :) It seems more real
If I say some birthdays (like mine) are not in the book.

[quote]On Jun 13, 2016, Sanderr wrote:
you might get people who will be disappointed you cannot find their birthday in the book :P [/quote]
There are only 2 cases when I can't find their birthday in the book:
1) If they're born on the 31st of any month (that's only 7 days in the entire year) because that's the way the book is designed. Any 31st is absent. Not a big problem since, again, it makes it look more real and you can move on to someone else's birthday.
2) If I don't like them :) If for some reason the person behaves very poorly, I will pretend they're not in the book and move on to someone more pleasant. It rarely happens.
[quote]On Jun 8, 2016, DutchFrank wrote:
When will the faq video with bonuses be released? [/quote]

It's now online :)
Some answers and free bonuses about my Pi effect.
The final idea can even be used without Pi so it's for everyone ;)
http://vimeo.com/168905184

(and you can watch the effect again here: http://vimeo.com/167086974)
Quick question

In the video I saw [might have new stuff up]

You say not to pick from the last chapter

Then Bday seems to be a large page number

Is the last chapter out of bounds [?] and only for the 3rd effect [?]

Also will there be new effects added - or are the 3 steps the only parts

Looks great BTW about to pull the trigger

Wish I knew a stack, is it worth learning a stack [for long term] or just better to use stackless and only learn that for this effect [?]

Finally anyone who has bought the real book - do they look the same [or is their a chance people will notice the switch as the cover has different a different colour <etc.]?

One last, finally, someone said that they left the book with someone 'too long' - how many pages clearance do you have [?]- so does it repeat after a few pages [?] I guess it repeats from a different place [so the pages won't look the same at first glance]

Thanks for any / all answers

I def think this is the kind of fit that works for what I want to do
[quote]On Sep 15, 2016, The Duster wrote:
Is the last chapter out of bounds [?] and only for the 3rd effect [?]
[/quote]
By saying you're still working on the last chapter, it becomes out of bounds for phase 1 and 2. It's a logical and organic justification :)
Then for phase 3, you appear to struggle because the birthday is in the last chapter, which is still consistent.

will there be new effects added - or are the 3 steps the only parts[/quote]
Thanks to the interconnectedness of the principles of this routine, I'm sure some people will come up with different presentations or effects with the book, and I'm looking forward to it :)

is it worth learning a stack [for long term] or just better to use stackless and only learn that for this effect [?][/quote]
I address this questions in the FAQ video ;)
https://vimeo.com/168905184
(around 1min55s)

anyone who has bought the real book - do they look the same[/quote]
They do. Same cover/title/author/general layout.

how many pages clearance do you have [?][/quote]
About 50, so a bit more than a quarter of the book.
50 pages until it repeats.... Wow that was much more than I expected... Much more

Thanks for the ultra fast response

Silly question ... Chapter?

Is that your wording meaning don't pick from the last ten pages, or is the book (the real one too) in chapters?

Ha, just gonna read the kids two chapters before bed

Once again thanks for the response

Tbh I'm already sold, like I said its my kind of effect

Thanks
The Duster..this is an amazing routine/effect.
You get fantastic responses.
It's not an out of the box thing by far.
And I've flubbed it occasionally.
Which only added to the overall presentation ironically.
And in turn that instilled more confidence in me that, even mildly screwing up..it still hits hard.

Like everything I've gotten from Vincent, it's been mud tested, thought out, and just across the board solid.

Obviously I'm recommending this :)

252Pi
I can't recommend this highly enough it is absolutely brilliant and requires little work for the impact it has. This really does blow people away, one of my best purchases in a very long time.

Mark

Silly question ... Chapter?

Thanks [/quote]

The book is split into 4 chapters every 2500 words.
Thanks for that

So we have 'learned' 7,500 decimals of Pi

Do people who have it say - avoid the first page and the last 25% of the book [?]

I have ordered it, the Euro has gone bad against the £ - so I bought it from a shop as it worked out £10 cheaper to do so. I did want to support the inventor but it worked out too big of a difference.

Maybe I will be back for Babel [?]

I also ordered the real book from Amazon

Has anyone [who has both] ever mixed them up and had to stop the performance [?]

Ha. But with my group I will have to have the real book to hand out at the end

I think the effect might of been better without the Birthday reveal and us having learned all 10k numbers [?]

But I guess it's all in presentation and I'm sure I can make it seem more 'believeable' that I have learned Pi because I haven't had time to learn the last chapter yet

To a magician it would be fishy that the birthday reveal is in the last chapter that was out of bounds to start with

Anyway I ordered a couple of days ago - as I went through Saturn Magic Shop I didn't get an email with a pdf - so I will have to wait to start the hard work
In my experience people are more impressed that you got the birthday even though it's in the part of the book you are still learning. The effect is better for having the birthday reveal. You've learnt enough of the book to impress pretty much anyone and the birthday give the effect a nice ending.

Mark
[quote]On Sep 17, 2016, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
In my experience people are more impressed that you got the birthday even though it's in the part of the book you are still learning. The effect is better for having the birthday reveal. You've learnt enough of the book to impress pretty much anyone and the birthday give the effect a nice ending.

Mark [/quote]

I agree. It ends the trick really nicely. I Googled where my birthday really is and explain that it's not in the first 10,000, it's actually after the 12256th decimal. In answer to some other questions: I have a post-it stuck down after Chapter 3 as my bookmark. Sometimes I don't even mention how much I've memorised, if I see they've opened the book in the first 3 chapters then I'm clean. If they do open in the final chapter I just do some patter on the fly and get them where I need them. Or you can just say you can't figure out that page or that line of numbers and ask them to try a different page, it only adds credibility, as long as you hit it on the next page they choose.

I don't see the point in switching it out for the real book because what happens if someone goes back and looks at the page number that was called and now it starts with a different number? The book looks totally legit. I've only raised suspicion once where someone turned to page 58 or something for the first phase and then page 8 for the second phase and thought it was fishy that the numbers were the same, but how often is that going to happen? And switching the book for the real one isn't going to help there.
Yeah I can see the issue with the real book

But I'm doing this for family and friends, so they will be interested in the book afterwards

I like saying where ur number is in pi

Couldn't see where I am 2712 but need to rethink my google search

But it's good if your outside the 10,000

I'm still not sure how I will play the last chapter issue

Thanks for all the advice
Gah it says I'm digit 242
Im gonna cheat

Going to tell them I'm 190k

And not mention that's my dob with the year as well

Interesting that both doing the year as two and four digits I end up just above 190k within a few hundred places of each other

Strange that 2712xx and 2712xxxx are so close
Duster, imo and at this point...I'd say don't over think it.
All of us honest, lovely :) people have suggested you take a leap of faith.
Sheeeesh what more does it take lol

Seriously, this is a unique one.
You'll appreciate it more and more as you practice it.

And some of those concerns about explaining dates away, etc.,
really do melt away if you follow Vincents lead.
One underlying gem here is that he mud tested it for so long.
It's not an untested lab theory, it gets reactions.

You're gonna love it more and more is my guess.

252guessing
Oh!!...interesting personal observation coming;

I've found that most people (I did not expext this)
realize you went into the area that "you hadn't really memorized yet"
and instead of that being a difficulty,
they seem to be even more impressed.
(And maybe it strokes the persons ego as well..
"wow, he happened to remember my birthday and that shouldn't have worked")
Maybe the psychology of that moment is not a big deal, but my point again is, it flows and then floors :)

252mypoint
Is that your wording meaning don't pick from the last ten pages, or is the book (the real one too) in chapters?

Do people who have it say - avoid the first page and the last 25% of the book [?][/quote]

My wording can be seen in the trailers ;)
The exact wording and its justification can be found in the instructions.

[quote]On Sep 17, 2016, The Duster wrote:
I also ordered the real book from Amazon

Has anyone [who has both] ever mixed them up and had to stop the performance [?][/quote]

There is a secret code at the back of each book, allowing you to identify which version (normal or not) you have :) Send me an email and I'll tell you more.

[quote]On Sep 17, 2016, Therealmagician wrote:
Sometimes I don't even mention how much I've memorised, if I see they've opened the book in the first 3 chapters then I'm clean. If they do open in the final chapter I just do some patter on the fly and get them where I need them.
[/quote]
Good thinking ;)

[quote]On Sep 17, 2016, Therealmagician wrote:
I don't see the point in switching it out for the real book [/quote]
Agreed, I never do it. I only created the "real" book so that people can see that the book really exists if they check afterwards. I feel that overproving after the final phase would only make things suspicious.
I switch the book out but don't hand it out. I simply leave the real book on my performing table. Only once has anyone picked it up and had a look at it after the show while I was packing away.

Mark
In your scenario that's a good option, yes :)
Ha

I'm so stupid

I didn't realise you wrote the 'real' book as well

I thought that the author would be wondering why they were getting all these extra sales

And I guess if you didn't write it there would be copyright issues...

Ha, it seems you may well be a genius after all
Incredible affect which has got incredible reactions for me. I always make sure I leave the house with this book. Completely blows people's minds
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Nov 24, 2016 01:36PM)
I'm a high school math teacher, and I've placed the book on the top shelf of the bookcase in my classroom. Sure enough, one of my students noticed it and wondered why there was a post-it note in it. I proceeded to launch into the effect and needless to say, blew them away, especially in Phase 2 when I made a "mistake," then quickly corrected myself. ;)
A new Pi bonus :

http://www.vimeo.com/194982267
New bonus for my Pi effect, thanks to the work of my friend Jérôme Damien! :)
https://vimeo.com/194982267

the effect: https://vimeo.com/167086974
the app: https://is.gd/FrPiTester
the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pitester/
[quote]On Dec 9, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
New bonus for my Pi effect, thanks to the work of my friend Jérôme Damien! :)
https://vimeo.com/194982267

the effect: https://vimeo.com/167086974
the app: https://is.gd/FrPiTester
the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pitester/ [/quote]

Thanks tons Vincent.
This is a huge giant present, and much appreciated.

252Happy
Vincent this almost makes me want to invest in an Mac/iphone, do you think that you could ask Jérôme Damien to create and app for android users?

Thanks
I'm sorry, I don't know how to code for android. I first created Pi Tester because I needed it, and I have an iPhone so I chose to code it for iPhone. Then, with Vincent's blessing, I decided to share it with other Pi users.
The work invested was worth it because I use it myself. But I don't have an android, so I have no motivation to learn how to code for android. Hope you understand.
[quote]On Dec 9, 2016, Jeromedamien wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't know how to code for android. I first created Pi Tester because I needed it, and I have an iPhone so I chose to code it for iPhone. Then, with Vincent's blessing, I decided to share it with other Pi users.
The work invested was worth it because I use it myself. But I don't have an android, so I have no motivation to learn how to code for android. Hope you understand. [/quote]

Hey Jerome,

Thanks tons for this.
I just downloaded it, and it seems great.
I have the Stackless book, and the numbers don't seem to match up.
Probably user error on my part, but wanted to ask just in case.

Great idea, and will absolutely be a giant help.
Did you select "Stackless" and not "Sans Chapelet" ? The French and English use different numbers
Well

Before I played this to an audience - I recorded [voice message on iphone] myself as an audience memeber asking the three phases - I recorded 5 different 'shows'

I left it for a day or so - so there was no way I would remember what I recorded

It was a good way to practice - as it was the first proof I was not ready to perform this, yet

As the second phase [main one] - it took [takes] me a long time to work out where I am

This is about how my brain works

I'm totally lost, at the moment, on hearing 5 numbers

If I see them written down - I find it easy

But spoken is a whole different matter

I'm always impressed at how 'easy' and fast I learned 'Pi' - but I have this one stumbling block before I can actually take this out

I can't wait to download this app

Though if it's all written down, it will be good practice but please keep in mind, for some people - it's not the same as hearing a spec call out phase two. Boy is that hard work for my brain

I still love this effect and can't wait to get my head around how to start phase two
Hey, that's a very good point, and actually an excellent idea for a new function in the app.
Thanks
[quote]On Dec 10, 2016, 252life wrote:
[quote]On Dec 9, 2016, Jeromedamien wrote:
The work invested was worth it because I use it myself. But I don't have an android, so I have no motivation to learn how to code for android. Hope you understand. [/quote]

Hey Jerome,

Thanks tons for this.
I just downloaded it, and it seems great.
I have the Stackless book, and the numbers don't seem to match up.
Probably user error on my part, but wanted to ask just in case.

Great idea, and will absolutely be a giant help. [/quote]
I just found the same, there seems to be a bug because I have to select French language to get the questions in English. If I select English the questions are in French.

Mark
I see. This is not a bug, this is because what you think is an indicator of the selected language, is in fact a button to go to that language.
Apparently that is not clear enough, I will make it easier to use.
Thanks for the insight.
Just to make it clear :

In the stack selection wheel, there is "Stackless", which is the english version of the stackless book, and there is "Sans chapelet", which is the french version of the stackless book. They use different mnemonics, so they are consisted of different numbers.
The stack choice is different from the app language choice, so make sure you selected "Stackless" (and not "Sans chapelet"). If even then the numbers still don't match, please tell me.

On the next update, which should be available in 2 or 3 days, when the app is in english, "Stackless" will be on top, and "Sans chapelet" at the end. When the app is in french, "Sans chapelet" will be on top, and "Stackless" at the end.
Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.
What am I doing wrong?

the app is always incorrect

it has ex 1

pg 65

as 48129

I have it set to normal [stackless] and English

for first three goes I thought I was making mistakes - but then the results made no sense

gah
And what do you have at page 65 of your book ?
Ok I see. My mistake. I will correct that not on the next update, but the one after that, in 10 days or so.
Sorry and thank you for helping me debug it :)
Silly question

is this wrong just on pg 65

or on 15, 65, and 115

or on other pages as well ?

don't worry if you don't know the answer to this

I just wondered - as I was going to use it a bit, but would wait for an update if other pages are affected

thanks again for the app
It's wrong for every page, because what happened is I inverted the even and odd groups. You can see that on the "Stack" tab.
Good news is it shouldn't affect the other exercices in any way, so you can train on exercices 2,3 and 4 in the meantime.
Even with these few kinks to work out, this is a great help for me.
It sounds like TheDuster and me process info the same way.
I used to practice Train Tracking by recording myself answering a series of yes/no responses etc.
Also, for me, most of getting this down has been brute force.
I try and sit down and read it front to back, like a regular book.
Just lots of repitition, and doing the mental transpo's everytime I see those #'s anywhere.

I really want to say thanks again for this early Xmas present :)

252Krampus
Dear Pi Tester users,
I am happy to announce that Pi Tester 1.3.3 is available in your app updates.
It adds :
- A new "Visual aid" function, for exercices 2 and 3,
- A new "Videos" page (accessible from the "About" page), with tips and demos by Vincent Hedan,
- Compatibility with older iOS versions (iOS 9.0 or higher)
- Some miscellaneous corrections.
Please note : This update does not correct the « stackless » versions bug, which makes exercice 1 unusable for these versions. Pi Tester 1.3.4 will correct this bug in 4 or 5 days.
Fantastic, thanks yet again :)
Dear Pi Tester users,
I am happy to announce that Pi Tester 1.3.4 is available in your app updates.
It corrects the « Stackless » bug. Everything should be alright now.
[quote]On Dec 13, 2016, Jeromedamien wrote:
Dear Pi Tester users,
I am happy to announce that Pi Tester 1.3.4 is available in your app updates.
It corrects the « Stackless » bug. Everything should be alright now. [/quote]

You are "The Man" Jerome. :-)
Memory routines usually leave me cold but, judging by the video performance, this is a really beautifully constructed effect.

Fantastic stuff.
Bravo, Jerome!!! Many thanks.
You're welcome.
Soon to come, version 1.4 with a nice new feature (working on it right now).
Right, off the bat – I need to say that the app is a great addition

I am thankful for it

I want that to be clear as I am about to sound a little bit negative

I don’t feel I have a great memory

I feel like I have learned Pi really fast and rather well

This is a combination of [majority of the credit to] Vincent’s system, and a few little hooks I fortunately had [in built into my brain] of my own

So I have been fairly proficient at reeling off the content, I think phases 1 & 3 have been easy to perform… only just noticed phase 4 ‘liar’ – where has that come from [?]

My problem and the reason I have not performed this yet to a real audience – is phase 2. The main part of the routine. As when I hear five numbers, my head doesn’t work well in that condition. I get discombobulated.

So when the app has it written down – that is NOT good practice for me. As it’s easy.

That’s the first problem with phase 2

The second is… when I am responding [i.e. continuing the sequence] I feel like I am doing the complete opposite to what I would be doing in performance

What do I mean by that?

I am writing the numbers but projecting the letters.

Whereas when doing it for real, I am thinking the letters and speaking the numbers

Maybe it’s just me

Maybe what I have written doesn’t make sense to anyone else

But on the app – the focus feels the wrong way round

I don’t think it’s great to practice what you will be doing / thinking for a real performance

So….

I am going back to recording 5 random numbers on voice recorder, and then the next day testing myself.

As that is real life practice

I can then record my responses [to the pre-recorded three phases] and check

It was only from doing that I found out that I had a massive weakness in not being able to work out where I was with the numbers spoken – as it all gets scrambled in my brain

Anyway I’m looking at ways around this

And I will continue this post on the Facebook page – as I don’t want to reveal anything here

So… awesome book test [for my style] and the app is a great aid… but just like writing things down [to practice remembering them] it’s not a good recreation of performance conditions. And for me, and maybe others, in performance things could be a lot more difficult.
I see what you mean.
Next update will help you, as there will be a "speak" mode, where the 5 numbers will not be written, and only spoken by the app.
And phase 4 liar

Pi was amazing with just the 3 phases

When/where did that come from

Has there been more vidoes added, or a facebook group I have missed

Not complaining at missing out - just don't want to miss out if anything else comes up

I like phase 4

I'm thinking of going Phase 1, 4, 2, and then ending on 3

I actually like to only give three numbers for phase 1 - seems most people do 5?

I just like to start things off like it's harder and then let the later reveals seem more weighty

I'm already thinking of saying [phase 4] the first time I could tell by their vocal pattern which was incorrect - maybe then I pretend to work out the correct number by getting them to go through the numbers, then so I can't use their vocal pattern I get them to write down another sequence [once correct for themsleves to keep and another copy with one wrong digit for me] with one incorrect number... saying I need time, I'm not sure... and leaving that to one side... and then after the phase 3 ending [when they have forgotten abpout it] - giving it back to the spec and telling them the correct number... Maybe even interupting the next trick [having moved on from Pi] - as if I have just worked it out

Having said all that - I don't knwo what you have for phase 4 script

And th above may add too much - so take away from the normal three phases

Maybe it could just be another short routine - for another show - maybe for people who have seen pi 1, 2, 3 phases before...?
If I remember correctly, it comes from the explanations that came with the first version of the trick (the small one, without the birthday effect)
[quote]On Dec 13, 2016, Martin Pulman wrote:
Memory routines usually leave me cold but, judging by the video performance, this is a really beautifully constructed effect.

Fantastic stuff. [/quote]

Martin, this really is a good one.
Here's my only "problem" with this effect;
People believe it lol.
Let me clarify (pre coffee).
This could easily convince people that everything you do, is based on an incredible memory.
Pi is a helluva convincer.
[youtube]zMInC0Dk9l0[/youtube]
Good find Good Dr :)
Thanks!

I'll be using Pi as part of my Mythamatics and Mental Health presentation for my University on... yes, Friday the 13th January 2017..... what a wonderful numerical day.
I know that I'm missing something here. In addition to the gimmicked book, is the 'un-gimmicked' one provided when you purchase the effect? If not, can someone provide me with the link on Amazon? I cannot find it, searching either for "Pi" or "Vincent Hedan." Thanks!
Https://www.amazon.com/10-000-decimals-Nina-Chevendt/dp/1326560468
[quote]On Dec 14, 2016, rosariorose9 wrote:
In addition to the gimmicked book, is the 'un-gimmicked' one provided when you purchase the effect?[/quote]
Actually, the ungimmicked one was designed only as a convincer, in case someone wants to check on the internet that the book you used really exists. In the routine, the "gimmicked" book is never perceived as such so no switch is needed :)
Vincent, have you made any up using Atlas Brookings stack "the Solution"?

252Stacked
[quote]On Dec 15, 2016, Jeromedamien wrote:
Https://www.amazon.com/10-000-decimals-Nina-Chevendt/dp/1326560468 [/quote]

Thanks a million!
:applause: I've just ordered Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz. Will see how I do with that before I decide whether to order the stackless version of this effect.
Dear Pi Tester users,
I am happy to announce that Pi Tester 1.4.1 is available in your app updates.
It adds a new « spoken » mode in all 4 exercices.
A small bug still remains : If you press « +1 number » on exercice 2 while on spoken mode, it becomes unreadable. Will correct that on the next update.
Jerome, you should be canonized (?!)
I love this.
Endless thanks :)

I just noticed I've used my book so much pages are (finally) falling out.
No prob of course. The book is well made, I just abused it by carrying it in my pocket.
I was about to add a replacement to an order from Penguin, but they don't seem to have a way to specify stack selection(?)

Odds are this is user error here :/

252BrainCellsLeft
[quote]On Dec 15, 2016, 252life wrote:
I love this.

No prob of course. The book is well made, I just abused it by carrying it in my pocket.
I was about to add a replacement to an order from Penguin, but they don't seem to have a way to specify stack selection(?)

252BrainCellsLeft [/quote]

I think you need to place an order through Vincent Hedan. ;-)
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Dec 15, 2016 06:27PM)
I completely understand why Jerome has only release an iPhone version of the app.

However, I hope that someone will eventually create an Android version of the app.
[quote]On Dec 15, 2016, TazBo wrote:
I love this.

252BrainCellsLeft [/quote]

I think you need to place an order through Vincent Hedan. ;-) [/quote]

That's what I did the first time.
And yup, gonna go direct again I guess.
I wonder how Penguin is handling this.
I may have missed something though, being on my phone.

...got a few odd looks today...reading a book of numbers waiting on line.
If they only knew I still count on my fingers and toes.
Sigh
Vincent, have you made any up using Atlas Brookings stack "the Solution"?[/quote]
I don't know this stack but if someone sends me his deck order then I could test it and see if it works for the effect.

I was about to add a replacement to an order from Penguin, but they don't seem to have a way to specify stack selection(?)[/quote]
They don't. There are about 20 different versions of my effect, one for each stack/system/language I designed, so it would be complicated for magic shops to manage stocks for such a variety. Magic shops carry the English stackless version, and I manage all the other versions on my website. Free shipping to anywhere, so no worries there ;)
PM sent :)
Pi Tester 1.4.2 is available on the AppStore.
This update adds :
- The « +1 number » visual bug correction
- The correction of some visual problems on iPhones 5 and SE
- Vocal verifications « Correct and Wrong » in « spoken » mode on all 4 exercices
- A new function : stack recitation in the « stack » tab.
Version 1.5 on the way, with a big surprise for stackless users !
I’m very proud to announce that Pi Tester 1.5 is available on the AppStore.
This update adds :
- A new « ABC » function in exercices 2 and 3 to facilitate the acquisition of the stackless versions
- More visible « About » and « Preferences » buttons
Jerome, I've been using this a bunch.
So...I'm gonna keep annoying you with thanks :)
Hope anyone using it does the same.
Had I paid for this, I'd be on here raving just the same.
Such a cool thing you did here.
Rare, and appreciated.

252MerryXmas
I love this effect.
It's quite some mental work, but it will be worth it, I'm sure.
Vincent really has done an amazing job with this book. :)

One question though concerning the blocking on stage:

Do you guys hand the book out into the audience or do you prefer to have a participant on stage?
Thanks Alexxander, I'm glad you're liking Pi!

[quote]On Dec 29, 2016, Alexxander wrote:
Do you guys hand the book out into the audience or do you prefer to have a participant on stage? [/quote]
I played with both. Now I prefer to have the participant sitting a couple of meters off my side (I'm also sitting) because it allows me to alternate between talking to him/her and addressing the audience, giving me more staging opportunities. Also, if the participant is on stage, the audience can better see his/her reactions and it amplifies the effect for everyone. Finally, although I've never had to intervene, if needed I can get closer to the participant faster to adjust his/her behaviour. But again, I never have had to do that :)
Also, good news: a free Android app for training with the effect will soon be available! ;)
Thank you so very much for the upcoming Android app. I was tempted to purchase an I phone.
Hi All lover's of Pi

I attended The Event Mentalism day last weekend and Vincent was lecturing so he dis this effect, the first time I had seen it or even heard about it and I thought WoW that's different to the usual booktest.
Being I never go to these conventions to buy anything only to get myself tips and workable routines I can add to my various sets when I saw this I thought - Bugger I fancy that but just couldn't afford it there and then.

So I spoke with Vincent that evening and he kindly sorted me out - this was in the early hours of the morning in all honesty.

Since receiving the link to the instructions my head is aching from trying to memorise all the information and my family are bored with hearing the automated voice speak on the app 14454 lol

I look forward to receiving the physical book soon thanks to Vincent and going straight out and perform it.

My sincere thanks to Vincent and Jerome Damien for their assistance so far, I will foĺlow up with a performance reaction review when I have been out and worked it.

Many thanks again
Dr Rob
I am happy to say I performed this on Friday the 13th, for a presentation of math and mythology - first time I did it for a very large crowd of university and healthcare professionals - and it SLAYED. It was great - and it was so wonderful to just go on and on with the recital - I felt like singing it - people were *** impressed.... this truly is a work of genius - and I'll be working this in to other presentations whenever I can justify it - because its just soooo good.

hehe, I did also make sure the audience got some pie at the end (rhubarb strawberry, blueberry and apple crumble).....

Kudos to you Vincent!
[quote]On Jan 15, 2017, Dr Spektor wrote:
I am happy to say I performed this on Friday the 13th, for a presentation of math and mythology - first time I did it for a very large crowd of university and healthcare professionals - and it SLAYED. It was great - and it was so wonderful to just go on and on with the recital - I felt like singing it - people were *** impressed.... this truly is a work of genius - and I'll be working this in to other presentations whenever I can justify it - because its just soooo good.

hehe, I did also make sure the audience got some pie at the end (rhubarb strawberry, blueberry and apple crumble).....

Kudos to you Vincent! [/quote]

May I ask a question Dr Spector, feel free to answer via pm

1. How long have you had the effect?
2. Which version ?
3. On doing the initial learning of the method did you just practice the numbers over and over until they become memorised??

Thanks
Dr Rob
Hi,

1) 4 weeks - got it before going on vacation, did a few dry runs, then just kept practicing it etc. - it is way easier than you think - took me 2 days of practice to be pretty up to speed - but then spent a few weeks practicing with various people before the big show - by then I could just roll the numbers off - the beauty is if you need to stop and think - it looks even better because you are wracking your memory ;0

2) Stackless (I know many other stacks but I wanted to get this anyway for the fun of it - it works charmingly well - I'm still amazed how Vincent created this book - its so cool)

3) I did not practice the "numbers" but chanted the mantra so to speak - if you got Stackless. I did not memorize the numbers themselves if you know what I mean - the memory work was only for the mantra and knowing the equations.

Its worth it - you might be worried the first time you try - but even when you struggle - I swear it looks more convincing... and if you make one mistake once in a while, doesn't matter once you ramble off 20 numbers in a row..... or more.... coolio
Thank you, I have the mantra as you say in my head still struggling using the pi app occasionally on the odd bugger of a combination but as you say its a great bit of work vincent did creating this !

My physical book should be with mw tomorrow then its off for a trial run with lay people.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards
Dr Rob
Hey Dr R,

Let us know how it goes - you will be amazed by the reactions.... especially part 2 of the 3..... I find that is good as a stand alone itself pretty much. Heck all 3 phases can stand alone.
[quote]On Dec 30, 2016, Vincent Hedan wrote:
Also, good news: a free Android app for training with the effect will soon be available! ;) [/quote]

That's GREAT news!!!!
:pepper: :cucumber:
Keenly awaiting for another owner to upload a video of the routine- Starting to get a french accent
Lol

Dr Rob
The physical book arrived safely today - now the performances can begin well maybe once I can verbally do a page and a half ;)

Here is an additional idea because each page is 6 digits per line instead if recalling the first 3 numbers per line maybe tell the spectator the last 3 digits if that line or even the last 3 of the second line! An extra phase to the first phase 1a

Dr Rob
In regards to phase 1, I like to KISS

it's the hors d'oeuvre

I'm gaging up the opening

I'm then making phase 1 look tough and just do the 3 digits

but horses for courses
Since I started to perform Pi...my French has become almost fluent lol
"Pi..the effect that keeps on giving"

252WeeWee
*rethinking that sign-off right about now :/
You should, as in stackless it's not in the first 7.5k digits of Pi
Maybe at 7.6 of Pi :)

BEB12-9-6-5
(Yes, I use the stackless version lol)
Hi All

Been practising a different way this evening Ive been covering up the page numbers reading out the digits and trying to remember what page I learnt them on - anyway to fuĺly memorise the sequence.

Dr Rob
If I am "rusty" on my previously memorized stack, should I buy the Stack Version or The Stackless? If you were starting from scratch, which is the best way to go? Just wondering.

Thanks
I have both an Aronson stack booklet, and then when 2.0 came out, went with the stackless version. I prefer the stackless version because I find it easier to recognize the stackless patterns on the even verse odd pages. Don't want to say more than that, but it's more straightforward in my mind.
Thank you Mr. Mindbeder. This helps a lot!
I got the stackless version. But, I do use a stack a lot (Atlas Brookings Solution stack).
I've almost worn out my original copy of Pi. Kind of curious if I should have tried the stack version first.
Maybe when I get a replacement I'll get an extra version in stack. Probably end up losing what little of my mind is left lol
[quote]On Jan 18, 2017, 252life wrote:
I got the stackless version. But, I do use a stack a lot (Atlas Brookings Solution stack).
I've almost worn out my original copy of Pi. Kind of curious if I should have tried the stack version first.
Maybe when I get a replacement I'll get an extra version in stack. Probably end up losing what little of my mind is left lol [/quote]

yikes

doing two versions?

just be easier to learn pi for real
Lol good point. I think I've become a mentalism masochist.

252MorePi
I too have the Stack (Osterlind) and the Stackless Version and I find it easier to learn the Stackless. Stack Version adds another layer to the learning curve.
This is one of my favourite effects - I like it so much I bought it twice! One for home, and another for my workplace bookshelf in my office (in a secondary school). I've used it a number of times to great effect. I'll be using it in a few weeks as part of a training course I'm running for Teachers in a session on memory systems for teaching to students. It will be used as an opening 'attention-grabber' on the wonders possible with a properly trained memory!

Vincent Hedan is a wonderful creator/mentalist/magician. I have most/all that he has released and everything is tasteful, elegant and intelligently designed. His name on something is a stamp of the highest quality. Bravo.

Best,
Francis
Thanks to Isidore Buc, now Android users can also train for my Pi effect!
Here is the free link: http://is.gd/AndroidPi

(Jérôme Damien's iPhone version is still available here: http://is.gd/ApplePi)
I second all previously written :) Thanks, Vincent, for leaving my booklet with my friend while being at Hannover; just got it a few days ago (not earlier, but it is my "fault" due to my full schedule). It is wonderful, and as an Aronson guy it took me really only a few days to reach a good, speedy pace. The learning tool (app) is very useful and I had indeed quite a lot of fun while practicing. Through Amazon I got also the "original" booklet which looks exact the same! February 12th it will be for the first time in my show as it fits perfectly a theme I have to streak there. Jan
For a nice variation of backstory

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/features/.premium-1.579613
Product description : A booktest is a tool quite known among magicians and mentalists, they have used it for the past 50 years and nowadays, there are a lot of modern versions, with a comic book, some with crosswords, a dictionary but this is something else, something new. It’s a book with the first 10 000 decimals of Pi, you will be able to reveal numbers people are thinking about in a very cool and nice multi phases routine. But is this worth the price and is this still strong ? Let’s find out !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $44.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop !

What you get : You only get the book, which contains the link for the downloadable pdf online, with all the explanations on it. The pdf is well made and very clear, which is a nice thing because the method is not easy to explain. The method is quite straight forward but you will have to do quite a lot of memory work in order to perform this trick, it’s worth it but still, you have to provide some work. The book is really well printed and looks like a real book you could buy online and or in a library. There is even a small passage at the beginning which explains why the book has been published so it adds a little bit more realness to the whole thing. Overall, I’m pretty happy with what I received, there is work to do, but the effects look nice !

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYceRq50eRM

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– Again, I repeat but it’s very important you understand this is not a self working trick, there is memory work which is not “easy” (if you know a stack, there are some “stacks” version of it).
– It may not be as impactful as a real book but still, strange enough, people seems to like this !

THE PROS :
– It’s something different from the usual stuff you do, it’s even quite different from the booktest routine, here, you can do some number reveal which couldn’t be done before.
– The size of the book is perfect for close up and parlour work, small enough to be carried around but still big to be seen from a long distance.
– Vincent also have published a “regular” version of this book, on Amazon so if you’re audience try to look for the book online, they will end on the Amazon page which is a very good thing.
– There is a phase with the birthdate of your spectator which is very strong in my opinion because you connect with the personal information of the spectator and emotionally, it’s more impactful.
– The book can completely be inspected by the audience, they won’t find anything about it, all the pages are just number so it’s very hard for them to find a repetition or anything gimmicked at all !
– This can have a lot of presentations, whether it’s a mind reading routine or you can say that you have memorized all the book so it’s up to you !
– If you do the mind reading presentation, you can have a small pad with a cheat sheet so it’s easier for you to do the routine instead of memorizing all the formula.

Overall rating : I do like the cleverness of the book and the fact that it is something very unique, and will fry the spectators, but I do have some booktest and I can’t see myself using the Pi book, I couldn’t justify it, it wouldn’t fit my performance style, 3/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, there is some memory work, you’ll have to remember quite a few things, this is not easy, I would say 4/5 stars.

Similar products : Booktests are something very known on the market, the best one, in French, are the Close Up Book Test by Yves Doumergues and The Abyss by Maxime Schucht and Sylvain Vip.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews