(Close Window)
Topic: Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette
This definitely looks work a look:

Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette

First TIME in MAGIC history!
No professional builder has ever shared his SECRET techniques...
UNTIL NOW!

This 6 DVD set is a complete course in Illusion Building. Everything is explained in detail from expert Illusion builder Gerry Frenette!

ALL of the information you need to know in order to build your own Illusions and box effects!

# How to do everything from driving a screw to advanced building techniques in mechanics and engineering
# How to get a great paint finish without spray equipment
# How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)
# Complete video instructions building 3 illusion projects
# Dozens of tips, ideas and techniques using proven, stage-tested measurements
# What materials and tools to use
# How to make your illusion as deceptive as possible
# Everything you need to make SMALL stage props as well
5 DVD's packed full of information, plus a 6th BONUS data disc containing drawings, blueprints, documents, and photos!

What will YOU create?

"All of the stuff you NEED to know if you want to make an illusion that looks great. Highly recommended."
- Paul Daniels, England

"Gerry Frenette's course is, without question, the best buy ever offered to magicians who are both performers and prop builders."
- Dick Gustafson, USA

"Whether you are a magic hobbyist, amateur, semi pro or professional entertainer, this mammoth video course is a MUST HAVE for your library."
- Hans Zahn, Canada

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14113

Hocus-Pocus has this as a discountable item.
I Just was looking at the Contents:

Here is a directory of what you will find on this course:

[b]Disc One[/b] Starting Off Total Time: 2 hrs 37 min.

1. Introduction and Overview 15:58
2. Tools (Basic Hand Tools) 30:08
3. Fasteners and Hardware 45:02
4. Materials 52:20
5. Quick and East Set-up 13:14

[b]Disc Two[/b] Building Techniques Total Time: 2 hrs 34 min.

1. Power Tools 25:16
2. Metal Work 10:14
3. Fabrics 11:09
4. Mirrors 11:22
5. Tips, Ideas and Advice 28:15
6. Roller Blinds 23:01
7. Glues 10:06
8. Trap Doors 28:09
9. Casters 5:38

[b]Disc Three[/b] Advanced Building Techniques Total Time: 2 hrs 38 min.

1. Electronics 35:54
2. Mechanics 1:10:10
3. Mechanical Tips And Ideas 20:17
4. Painting 32:20

[b]Disc Four[/b] Making Your Illusions Better Total Time: 2 hrs 26 min.

1. Design Techniques and Ideas 27:44
2. Deceptive Design (part one) 40:56
3. Deceptive Design (part two) 43:45
4. Deceptive Design Encore 6:50
5. Theory On Classic Illusions 26:59

[b]Disc Five[/b] BUILDING ILLUSIONS Total Time: 2 hrs 46 min.

1. Watch 3 actual illusions being built by Gerry Frenette.
2. Then discussion about 12 illusion ideas you can build.
3. Closing Comments

[b]Disc Six[/b]

Data disc containing all pictures, sketches, drawings, documents and blueprints that you can print out as needed.
---------------------

Anybody know What 3 Illusions are being built by Gerry Frenette on Disk 5?
How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)

I have to question this statement, as the tools will take up a room alone. Very misleading statement!

And illusions by definition are not small. True, that guy who built the illusion in the laundry room did a good job, but his wife was probably yelling at him the whole time. :rotf:
[quote]
On 2012-03-16 14:40, wmhegbli wrote:
How to build illusions right in your home (in a small space)

I have to question this statement, as the tools will take up a room alone. Very misleading statement!

And illusions by definition are not small. True, that guy who built the illusion in the laundry room did a good job, but his wife was probably yelling at him the whole time. :rotf:
[/quote]

It can be done I built my MA illusion in a small space
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/illusionman2_photo/cutbest-1.jpg
Illusionman2, good job ...Look great...
Wow that is really cool illusionman2....how small a space are we talking?
[quote]
On 2012-03-18 12:30 , Chrom wrote:
Wow that is really cool illusionman2....how small a space are we talking?
[/quote]

I THINK Wmhegbli was talking about me as I built it in a small laundry room.
That's a great MA, Illusionman2. The view under your table is amazingly clean - much more so than the original version. Very deceptive. Did you design it yourself?
[quote]
On 2012-03-20 21:52, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
That's a great MA, Illusionman2. The view under your table is amazingly clean - much more so than the original version. Very deceptive. Did you design it yourself?
[/quote]

Richard Rau built a few of these thin table MA, befor he passed away.
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/illusionman2_photo/Others%20one%20person%20Moder%20Art%20Illusion/aaaaaaaa.jpg

mine has different dimentions and features.
Hi folks,

Just to answer a couple questions: When we say "in a small space", we don't mean a laundry room! We didn't succeed in this business for 27 years by deceiving people in our ads, or otherwise. It just means you don't have to have a large, well equiped workshop. The illusions that you actually see me build on disc 5 are a Flash Production Cage, a Crystal Casket, and a Double Tip Trunk. But it doesn't really matter so much which ones I am building. They were selected out of many that I was building, simply because they showed a diverse set of building techniques. The course is not about teaching you how to build individual illusions, it is about teaching you how to build ANY illusion, and do it well. I am VERY busy these days, and won't have time to answer too many questions, but much more info and reviews can be found on our site at http://www.magicmakersillusions.com

Thanks for your interest,

Gerry Frenette
Thank you Gerry, for popping in here with that information! The course looks great!
This looks great. It reminds me of the Rand Woodbury tape/CD series I purchased from magicauction a few years ago, with perhaps more details, which for me will be a big advantage. While I found Woodbury's books and tapes very interesting, I hope this series will be a bit more practical for someone like myself, with limited building skills and limited space for transporting the finished illusions. Has anyone seen independent reviews yet? If not, I will probably just take a chance and get them because there is not a whole lot of this type of material available in video format that I am aware of, and for $150 it seems to be a great value based upon the length of footage, topics covered, and source of production.
Ok, I couldn't wait. I just ordered the video course. One bit of a surprise I discovered when ordering, was that there was a $25 shipping and handling charge (which I think is excessive) and somewhere an additional $4.72 (perhaps because I paid via paypal and Magic Makers passed on the cost) bringing my purchase cost to $179.72. I am very much looking forward to receiving the program and have no doubt I will get more than my money's worth. I am very glad a product like this is now available.
[quote]
On 2012-03-22 20:55, charliecheckers wrote:
Ok, I couldn't wait. I just ordered the video course. One bit of a surprise I discovered when ordering, was that there was a $25 shipping and handling charge (which I think is excessive) and somewhere an additional $4.72 (perhaps because I paid via paypal and Magic Makers passed on the cost) bringing my purchase cost to $179.72. I am very much looking forward to receiving the program and have no doubt I will get more than my money's worth. I am very glad a product like this is now available.
[/quote]

OK buy from Penguin Magic --I got mine for something like $120.00 postage paid. If your are looking for secrets do not buy ,But if you are looking for building tips there is a lot here ( a lot I do and a lot I don't) . The one thing that shocked me the most was he said he does not use the safty guard on the table saw (I don't when I can't but I do the rest of the time).
[quote]

OK buy from Penguin Magic --I got mine for something like $120.00 postage paid.
[/quote]

Wow - I guess I should have shopped around. Like they say, " haste makes waste"
Hi guys. It was not supposed to be sold at a discount by any dealers, and this has now been changed. You got lucky, but this is a great value for the $150. We don't pass on the cost of PayPal, they take it from us, so I don't know what that $4.72 is for. The shipping (and handling) charge should be $20 for the U.S. and $25 for everywhere else, except Canada ($15). I just found out that the button is not working properly, sorry about that! I'm sure you will feel you got your moneys worth. I'll get that fixed. As I said on the course, I don't recommend that you leave off the safety guard, I'm just pointing out that I haven't used it for 25 years! By the way, there is MUCH more info then Rand Woodbury's tapes.
Ok, the buy button is fixed now. Guess we owe you $5 Charlie! If anybody else gets charged the $4.72, please let me know. I would like to find out what it is. But again, I think this is a great value. Thanks for your interest folks.
Gerry, Thank you for get back here to provide clarity and rectify the issue with the shipping costs as well as the cost of the program itself. I also want to share that I went into my Paypal account just now and discovered that I WAS NOT CHARGED the additional $4.72 that appeared on my Paypal purchase page as I made the purchase. It must have been a glitch that fixed itself (or it was late and I was seeing things, but that would be a very odd number to make up in my mind). Anyway, I too do not want to let the periferal purchase discussions get away from the value you are offering with this course, as I can hardly wait for my package to arrive so I can enjoy this rare opportunity to learn from the best.
I received mine from hocus pocus this week. I own All of Randwoodbury's tapes, books, most of JC Sum, Osbournes, and Steinmeyer's as well. The details shared here are very unique and I think it is a great resource for anyone who is actually doing the work of building their own illusions. There are little tricks and tips that you would only discover by building year after year and I am grateful to Mr. Frenette for sharing his insight. There are great resources out there for the design and technique of what makes an illusion deceptive and I find that this DVD set provides tips on the building side that I have not seen elsewhere.
I just watched dis 5.
Frenette uses a lot of chrome trim (alot) . My props look a lot like his befor trim pic.
not sure which is best. looking CLOSEUP he looks ALOT MORE PROFESIONAL but from a stage point of view not sure (just my opionion).
I did want to say I was happy I got the deal on the price but, I woud have paid at leat $200.00 for all this info.
I picked mine up on the cheap from the earlier deal so I guess I got lucky. I watched a couple disks so far and skimmed some of the others. This is fantastic and I am very happy with the purchase. I have all of Osbourne's books and I can say that these offer far more information. If you are just looking for plans or secrets it may not be for you but if you want to build quality illusions, this is for you. However, he does teach you step by step how to build a few very good looking illusions. His Crystal Casket is VERY deceptive and about as good as it gets for that illusion. It really looks good! Anyway, I highly recommend this set and wish there were more time in the day so I watch them all now.
My experience…

First let me start by saying I do not usually post something like this as I am a very laid back patient kind of guy however, I am very disappointed in the service I received from Magic Makers regarding the pre-sale purchase of their dvd.

On February 2 I was browsing the Café forums as I do every day. I saw a post about Magic Makers building Illusions DVD. I immediately went to their site and preordered it on the spot.

A little back ground on me:

I have been addicted to magic since I saw my first magic show at the age of 10. As a teenager I preformed mainly birthday parties and small stage shows. As most young Magicians I was limited to what I could purchase…I was not poor by any means, but I could not afford all of the illusions and tricks I would like or needed but I made by with what I had. My step father was a contractor so I was able to build a few tricks here and there but he was never around enough to really accomplish anything worth talking about. I was fascinated with the Idea of being able to build my own Illusions. Life happened…... In college I still preformed magic but it was limited to mainly late night parties impressing the ladies and a few birthday parties for children here and there. I graduated college in Construction Management and started my own construction company 3 years later in 2004. Its been a tough road for a residential builder but I am grateful for what I have and what I persevered through. I am finally in a position do all the things I loved as a kid but never was able to afford to do. I am in the process of getting my pilots license for helicopter and fixed wing aircraft, and of course expanding my always growing knowledge of magic. I started buying books , dvd's, and effects I have always wanted.

I see it as a good thing growing up the way I did….because instead of going out an buying every new trick that came out I was only able to read about them, study them and most of the time come to the realization that it not a strong effect or its really not for me. There were a few exceptions here and there but for the most part I think I was better off without the money because I would have spent in on items without doing the proper research. With a construction background and vast knowlege in the workshop I am very interested in illusion theroy and the construction of big illusions.

Now that you know a little bit about my background lets get to why I am writing this novel. So I pre-ordered this DVD on February 2, 2012. I was told that it would be available at the end of February. As you all are aware of it was not done. No big deal…Stuff happens. I sent another short e-mail (no I really mean short) asking of a time frame. I was then told by Gerry that there release date was moved to mid march. Hey no big deal again. I was looking forward to all the knowledge that Gerry was gracious enough to share with us.

So on March 17, I sent another short e-mail asking about how the release of the DVD was coming. He replied that they were ready and he would have them on Tuesday. He also stated that they would ship out immediately and I could possibly have it by Friday the 23.

Once again no big deal….My problems started when I started seeing post of people talking about receiving their DVD they ordered from Penguin magic or from other magic suppliers. I blew the first couple off but when more and more people started talking about it I got a little aggravated.

Long story short (Little too late),
I emailed Gerry explaining that I was a little upset about the fact that I invested in his project so long ago and I thought that we you pre-ordered something you would be able to receive it prior to the general public. There were people going to various vendors not only ordering it but receiving it before I did. I could have went to penguin magic on March 18 ordered and received the dvd's 3 days later for $120.00 not the $170.00 I paid on his site back in February. I realize the price difference was a mistake…..I do not really care about the $50.00 difference….

He stated that "he was sorry for the delay and claimed that he sent it out as soon as he got the dvd's in". I have still yet to receive my DVD's . I actually called him today asking for a tracking number and all he replied that "he has had other people who are closer to Canada then I am receive theirs". "So mine should be on the way". He says "don't worry about it".

Well, I know if I treated my clients like that I would not have clients too much longer. All I want is what I paid for. In my opinion I believe that if you PRE-ORDER something that you should have some kind of concession weather it is a discounted price or, in my case, get the product prior to the people who did not invest into something 2 months prior.

Most people in that situation would try to make it right in some way……I got nothing. All it would have took was some sincerity on his part. That he was truly trying to make it right.

I have to say that every time I e-mailed him I got a response right away....And he answered his phone too.....I just feel that he should have treated the people that invested in his DVD's that far in advance differently.

Any Thoughts???

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan,
I hate it when that happens and it happens way too often in this industry. The problem is our industry accepts it. Just go to the spooky section and you will see it all the time there. People order things and wait a year or more and keep getting the same promise... It is on the way or it has been shipped. We easily accept excuses about delays or poor customer service because of this that or the other, things are hand made, it took longer than expected, the person is a good builder or has a good reputation so it is OK, etc. If this happened in any other industry, that person who provided the poor customer service would not be in business. So, why do we accept this? I have been on the receiving end of things like this on more times than I can count so I feel for you.

I was lucky I guess, I saw it on this site and clicked the $120 link and ordered it when I saw it. I had it in just a couple days.
Thanks for the reply,

IMO why offer a "pre-order" if it does not mean anything. I should have been told at the time I placed the order that the fact that I pre-ordered does not guarantee I have reserved a DVD prior to the general public. I could have held on the my money and also got the DVD's faster and cheaper from a third party. At the time I ordered from Gerry, I did not see it offered on any other site.

The only explanation he offered is that he did not receive the DVD's till Wednesday. According to different post other people who ordered from other sources and received the DVD's Thursday and Friday. So something does not jive with his story. How can other third party suppliers receive and ship the product prior to the creator. ,

He also said he did not claim the the pre-order gave any type of concessions (cheaper price, faster delivery, reserved copy, etc) Why the freak would anyone pre-order?????

I think I could have received my order sooner......I think he was too worried about getting the large orders to the major distributions rather then getting to one guy who paid months in advance. Either way it was not handled correctly. Furthermore, after my e-mails and call he should have showed some type of regret or some type of compassion to make it right. In my business I have given several concessions to customers even if I knew I was not at fault. Once again I am not saying I want anything but the offer would have been nice seeing that if Penguin Magic can sell the DVD's for $120.00 and still make a profit why wouldn't the creator be compelled to say " I see how you feel, How bout I honor the $120.00 price seeing you did invest into my product prior to the release". A little bit goes a long way. For the most part Customer service is a thing of the past........

Ryan
The answer to this is easy. The DVD's were produced in California. Murphy's magic is in California. They got them much faster than we did, due to 2 delays from customs to get them over the border to us. I have no control over this, nor do I have control over what dealers charge for it, when Murphy's was supposed to tell them all to keep the price at $150. They are human too, and forgot that I told them this. Other dealers can reduce their profit on an item, they didn't produce it, or put 9 months of hard work and effort into it. At least one dealer has been over-charging for it. This kind of stuff doesn't only happen in the magic industry, it happens everywhere. The only advantage to pre-ordering is that they were set to go out the same day we received them. Ryan, please don't accuse me of stretching the truth by saying I was more worried about getting them to the big suppliers first. The producer of the DVD's sent them to Murphy's for us, and sent them to us at the same time, but as I said, there was delays. Any other dealers who have them, got them from Murphy's, or maybe had Murphy's ship them directly to the customers. We have not sent ANY to anybody, except those who bought it directly from us and they were sent out the same day we got them, as I told you. You are not the only person this happened too, but you are the only person who complained to us. This thing is my life's work! It is priced much lower than it should be to discourage piracy, which will probably STILL happen. Could we all just show a little patience and be friends? This is taking away from the focus, which should be the product itself. We have been successful in this business for 27 years by giving great customer support, and a great product, but there is a limit. However, I do see from your point that you would have appreciated an offer for the difference. If it will make you happy, (though you say you don't even want it), I'll offer it to you now.

Gerry
I should also mention that when we offered it for pre-sale, we thought people WOULD get it faster from us, because Murphy's would have to send it to other dealers after they got it. Of course it didn't happen that way for some people, but that was the reason we offered it for pre-sale. Also, if we ignored Ryan's emails, or were rude to him, then you could say we gave him bad customer service. It never occured to me to offer him a partial refund, but's that's just a difference of opinion, not bad customer service. In fact, we care a great deal about our customers, and try our best to show it. Otherwise, I wouldn't even be here seeing what people have to say, and answering. I have a lot of illusions on order, and am in the middle of a rush order right now, so I must get back to work.

All thr best,

Gerry
Gerry,

I do not want your money. Or better yet some of my money back for that matter. It is not my fault that all of this happened. I pre-ordered a product from you with thoughts of getting it as soon as it was available. You state yourself that you thought customers who ordered it from you would get it sooner that is why you offered it as a pre-order. That did not happen.... in a way I paid for something I did not receive. The point is it should not take all of this for you to finally offer concessions due to a misrepresentation on your part. All I have heard from you is how it is everyones elses fault. This rant is not about placing fault it is about how you handeled the situation.

I know one thing it is definitely not my fault.

In stead of placing blame all you had to do was make it right. You did not. All I have heard is how great of a deal the DVD is and how well worth the money. Im not disputing that at all. But I wish I could make that determination for myself. You see I have yet to receive the DVD.

I would like to thank you in advance for doing this for the magic community. Im sure once I finally receive the DVD's I will be satisfied with the product. I just hope by all of this the next time you are faced with a similar situation you handle it differently. You never know who the smaller fish are……Some of them may grow into big fish one day.

Could you please e-mail me the shipping info (what carrier, etc) so I can look into this. I would like to know if I need to order it from Penguin so I can have a copy for the weekend.

Thank you.

Ryan
Can someone tell me if any of the illsions require any welding or if they are just made of wood and are what are the manchines required to build some of the illsions.

Thanks
Hello. Welding is not required very often in illusions, it depends on what you want to build. There is no welding needed on any of the illusions I actually build in the course. As far as tools, you can build illusions with basic tools, but you can do it faster and easier if you have more advanced tools. This is all talked about in the course in great detail. They are mostly made of wood, but also aluminum.

Gerry
Another day and still no DVD.

Thank you for emailing me and telling me that canada post said they think I should have it by Friday but there is no guarantee when I will get it or no way to track it.

Ill give you to tomorrow to receive it.

If not, since your such a respectful business man, I would ask that you refund my money to paypal and I will "return to sender" if the package ever comes. This way I can buy it somewhere else where there is a gaurentee when I will get it.

And if your thinking declining that offer because you may say that's not how you do business.....Keep in mind you have had my money since Feburary 4 and I have yet to receive anything. So trust goes both ways.

Thanks

Ryan
Thought I would give a review

There is a lot of info here wellworth the price (Around 12 hr. abit like being in school things you should learn but not very entertaining)most of the time he is just talking to the camera. I wish he had shown drop cutting on the tabe saw (as I use this a lot). What is show is the profesional way to do things. I have never built a tip trunk that way I just build a box out of 3/8 inch cut off the top at 3 inches, then on the bottom cut a hole leaving a 2 inch border around the bottom and hinge a bottom back in hinged at the back (yes I said Back).And put the box on a 1 inch base.
Anyone following my delima......Still no DVD!

Gerry,
In the email you sent dated March 17, 2012 you wrote:

"Hey Ryan,

It is ready. We will have them on Tuesday. Boxes are already stacked and ready to go. One of them has your name on it. They will go out immediately after we get them. You may even have it by Friday, but that depends on the Post Office.

Thanks,

Gerry "

You say I might have it by Friday tells me either you are full of S#$t or you really believed I could get the package by then. If you put it in the mail last Wednesday (Post mark will show on package) it should be here by now. I do not understand why I was charged $10.00 for shipping and you sent it normal post. I purchased several items from Bill Abbott in Canada and never has it taken this long.

I just want what I paid for.....Can you please give me more info as to what is going on.

Ryan
I am not "full of s#$t, and yes you'll see it postmarked on that day. UPS told me they would be here Tuesday, they got here Wednesday, and that's when they went out. You can't even ship a box like that for $10 by any method. Anything but regular post would have been much more. I can only tell you what they told me, as far as when it's expected. They don't promise it. I understand you just want it, and I just want you to have it!

Gerry
I received mine on Friday, ordered direct. Thanks.
Hi Guys,

I received my DVD's on Wednesday 28th March direct from Gerry it was sent on the 21st so not at all bad for shipping to the UK. Can I just say that I rarely comment on these forums due to so many magicians leaving negative (bullying) comments. It happens on nearly every post. Gerry is a great guy I have emailed and messaged him on many occassions and found him very pleasant and helpful. Trying to make a professional look bad in a forum is petty. Your concerns are with Gerry not the memebers of this forum.

Back to topic I'm enjoying the DVDs they are very imformative and suitable for anyone who had either built illusions before or is just starting out.

Chris Bowyer
Thanks Chris, on both counts.
I just viewed the 1st DVD and want to report that it is excellent. For a professional builder of 25 years to share his experience and do so in a way that shows that he never forgot what it is like to start out in building is really striking. Extremely valuable fundamentals of building are shared such as the type of screws that are recommended for most applications, and the exact type of wood to purchase for most applications. I was not aware of these prior to the course. My guess is that most people considering to purchase the course would not. These suggestions alone a worth a fortune in terms of reduced wasted time and money for construction. My plan is to view this DVD again, this time taking notes. I will share additional comments after viewing the entire course, but wanted to share my initial excitement. Gerry should be very proud of this offering.
Just got home from my vacation to find my package finally arrived. As Gerry stated it was shipped on Wednesday the 21.

Now I still disagree with the way my pre-order was handled however, after watching the dvd's I must say that I forgive Gerry for that because the information provided is well worth the wait.

I could see from the start that Gerry poured a lifetime of knowledge into 5 dvd's. For start I am fortunate enough to have worked with power tool most of my life, but for a beginner Gerry goes over every tool needed to be able to build your own illusions.

I have most illusion building dvd's, books and plans available. None, I mean none.... have the information Gerry has graciously shared with the magic community. I have always been able to build boxes....now I feel confident I have the knowledge to turn my boxes into Illusions.

If you are interested in building any type of magic prop or illusion then these dvd's are a steal at $150.00. I conservatively put the value of these dvd's in the thousands of dollars. It would take you years to find the knowledge provided.

Gerry,

Thank you so much for sharing. You can see it in your eyes that this is your life's work and that it has taken a great deal of time and effort to put this together.

I hope you understand my earlier frustration. Please accept my apology.

Ryan
Just wondering if this dvd also shows how to make the illusions collapsible. That has always been my weakness in building illusions. They should be light, sturdy amd quick to assemble.
Thanks Ryan, I did do the best I could to get them to people asap, and I'm glad you like them. Lou, yes there is a section on disc one called "Quick and Easy Set-Up" Everything I do is collapsible, and there are ways to do that without compromising stability, and without taking too long.
I am a builder and had the honor of working the same show with Gary at a SAM convention in Cincinati many years ago. He has great creations and It's great he's sharing his building techniques within these DVDs. I built my first Illusion show with basic power and hand tools in my garage. These days I have a good size shop that is very well equipped and produce an entire product line. It's great Gary "dumbed it down" enough for the beginners but also had great building tips for professional builders. I too bought it directly from Gary at the higher price but it's not worth complaining about because I got my moneys worth. I learn from my own mistakes as well as the mistakes of others and that's all that happened here with the shipping and pricing. I'm sure if Gary puts out another DVD this won't happen. Gary, I forgive you for being human and making an error. That was easy.

Doug Ries
Flip Disc Productions
The collapsability was also my big question. How much of the dvd(s) address this aspect? Do all the illusions you build on the dvds collapse? Thanks.

Jim
I had the opportunity to view the entire course. Let me start by saying where Rand Woodbury's Illusionworks series wet my appetite for building illusions, Building Your Own Illusions, The Complete Video Course by Gerry Frenette fed me a delicious feast of information for building my own illusions. The course covers detailed aspects of illusion making. Rand Woodbury seemed to skim over necessary details, so I was interested but not ready. (Do not get me wrong, I still really enjoyed Illusionworks).

Obviously, no one course can cover all aspects of illusion building, and to attempt to would be a mistake. This course covers the basic components in great detail. There were many things I learned that I had not even considered before (like the proper way to lay the cloth used to cover traps). I would think many magicians would find this course extremely interesting if for no other reason than to deepen ones appreciation for what goes into building a professional illusion.

The illusions Gerry builds for the course are probably on the simpler side of the illusions he builds, but they were designed and built for working magicians who would need to transport them but at the same time they are built to last. Gerry illustrates how to utilize hinges to your advantage in set up and take down.

The discussion on deceptive designs is extremely well done and will allow the viewer to apply the learnings towards future projects. He offers simple ways to achieve very decorative and deceptive illusions. Disc #6 is a data disk with a ton of "extras" that itself would have been a great course.

I will need to view this course several more times, as their is a lot of material. I will pursue my next project with a great deal more expertise and confidence thanks to this course. I will spend far less time and my finished product will be far more professional looking. For all of these reasons, I say "Thanks Gerry".
In specific, wondering how completely and how small the tip over trunk design collapses down to? Thanks.

Jim
Jim - I was hoping Gerry or someone who knows the exact details would respond by now. I am not interested in building the illusion, so I did not focus on that aspect of the illusion while I viewed the disc. I was trying to follow the blueprint to understand how it transforms into an illusion as I have been confused by trying to read blueprints in the past. Hopefully you will get a response soon.
Well, I've just finished watching the marathon (nearly 13 hours) video course, and what can I say! This is a truly wonderful piece of work!
I was a little disappointed at first, the volume is a little inconsistent and there are a couple of minor editing issues on the first disc. The course starts from the very basics which anyone who is remotely familiar with diy will find a little patronising, nevertheless there are a few useful "snippets" here - I've built quite a few illusions in the past yet never even seen a Robertson screw!
The section on deceptive design is worth the cost of the set alone. I've read many books which try to illustrate these techniques, but Gerry's explanation and examples are so straightforward that I’m even considering redesigning parts of some of my finished illusions.
As an amateur, it's not often that I get the opportunity to examine "professionally built" props. Showing the construction of three illusions is inspirational and the trouble Gerry goes to finishing the inside of a prop is amazing.
My only gripe with this set is it has increased the cost of building my next illusion! No more bits of old carpet thrown inside the box for my assistant’s comfort!
Hey all. Thanks for your great comments. Sorry I haven't been here lately, lots of orders, including a rush order. About quick set-up and break down, there isn't a ton of info about this, because there doesn't need to be. I cover everything that I use on this topic. There are a few techniques that will help you. In some cases, you can't do as much to make it set up faster, without compromising safety and/or strength. I have been praised many times by customers on this feature, so I must be doing alright in that area. The Double-Tip Trunks fold flat, and all the trunk pieces can be stacked under the base (if you choose to make legs on the base). The ATA case was 45" x 36.5" x 20".
These look great but the advert says a worlds first. not really not a worlds fist because Rand woodbury did it at least 15 years ago.
Thanks, but as everybody is saying, Rand did not do it to the degree that I did it, and he is not a professional builder. I am not putting Rand down, I think he's great. As far as the editing glitches mentioned, I'll answer that shortly.
Note: It has come to our attention that some of the close-up scenes in the 'Hand Tools' section on Disc One are missing. The file is ok on our computer, and this is the file that was used to create the Master Disc. Four of these discs were burned early on, and were sent to a few people ahead of time to get their feedback, which we posted on our website. (Reviews by Paul Daniels, etc.) These discs were all fine. Later, we had to burn a new set of Master Discs (from the same computer file) to send to the producer of the actual Disc sets, because I I added an introductory section -- but nothing else was changed. I have no idea how it was possible for a previously existing segment to disappear -- or, to be precise: by some bizarre technical glitch, other scenes appeared instead of the originals. 1000 sets of the Course have been produced, and they are literally all over the world now. We have determined that, even though nothing important is missing, the best action is to put the correct version of the short section here, including all the close-ups. http://www.magicmakersillusions.com/#/building-your-own-illusions/4560249825 We apologize for any inconvenience.
Hi Gerry, Thanks so much for you series. It has been a wonderful watching and learning so much technique from you.

When you say "put the correct version of the short section here, including all the close-ups." what do you mean? I went to the link and I only saw the purchase page for the series?

Thank you so much for the series. I enjoyed it very much!
Hi Nathan. Glad you like it. If you scroll down the page a bit, you see the message, and the video.
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Apr 19, 2012 06:38PM)
I too have just finished with the entire course. What a ton of information! I am somewhat of a veteran builder, having built virtually everything in my show for the past 12 years. Still, I knew that there would be gems in this course because Gerry is a pro. I was not disappointed. Now, that said-

I get the feeling that some viewers may be disappointed in areas such the electronics segment. Gerry shows a package of LED lights, then mentions that he never learned to wire these up, and has a guy that does it for him. Honestly, for a video course of this nature, I would have expected a "Here's how to do it", not a "Here's what can be done if you know a guy". This is also the case with other things Gerry mentions in this segment (like the step motor, where Gerry demonstrates it, but gives no info on how to wire it up and actually do it). The only thing really covered is the use of servos, as Gerry shows how they can be used in a variety of applications. Also, the DVD liner points out that there is a section on making cabinet doors fall open automatically. Now, I have built props that do this, but was very eager to see Gerry's solution. I was disappointed in that Gerry's method will be impossible for 99% of the illusions you might build. In other words, if you want your doors to fall open as Gerry shows, your illusion would have to include something that would be way more than "out of place" on most props. The method shown is very unique to this particular illusion. Finally, I have to agree with the previous poster in that Gerry's base design looks too "chunky" for me. I just do not find this style of base to be deceptive. On the DVD, Gerry goes into great detail on trap doors, but they are of the solid variety. This means that you are adding another 1/2 inch (at least) to the thickness of your base. Now, there may be a few illusions that are better off with a solid trap, but I can honestly say that spandex is the better solution in most cases- not only because it adds virtually no additional thickness, but it's faster to operate in every way, not to mention totally silent. Really, if your floor just HAS to have a substantial amount of "walking space" (as opposed to the minimal bracing spots normally found beneath spandex), I would still go with the spandex and simply build a larger solid area under the front or wherever.

So- these minor gripes aside, these DVDs are an excellent value. My advice would be to get these right now, but also order the Rand Woodbury videos (1 thru 3). Amongst all this, you will be able to create some killer props.
Thanks Gerry. I got it.

This was a great DVD series and I hope you can put together some more advanced illusion design work. Or perhaps a dvd series on the transition from Design Plans to Building. You could also include some more total builds :)
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Apr 20, 2012 12:54AM)
[quote]
On 2012-04-19 19:38, freefallillusion1 wrote:

On the DVD, Gerry goes into great detail on trap doors, but they are of the solid variety. This means that you are adding another 1/2 inch (at least) to the thickness of your base.

[/quote]

Was just looking over the DVD again, and in all fairness, Gerry does mention (and demonstrate on one of the builds) that the traps can be made of aluminum, which would be substantially thinner. However, this then requires extra bracing underneath, and you still have the issue of it being cumbersome. So, my money is still on overlapping spandex.
Actually, I never make trap doors out of wood, but mention it for those who don't want to go to that trouble of doing it out of aluminum. I don't mention the spandex option during the trap doors section, because spandex is used when you don't need doors. I agree that it's the best option when you don't need to sit on the area that is covered, and I mention this option in other areas, such as the fabrics section, and deceptive design section. Not only spandex, but sometimes an actual door can be made of a frame with cloth cover. Not only very thin, but also expands as needed! About other future projects, we do plan to release other builds, in download (or view online) format. I have already begun recording other builds. Thank you all again for your comments. The course is selling very well.
About the LED lights etc. I am very busy, and learn whatever I need to know. I have not learned electronics because I rarely use it. When I do need it I buy it. I can only show what I know, but I want to tell people what can be done.
My bases look "chunky"? Pros all over the world will say otherwise. I don't have time to get in to huge discussions here, but my pictures speak for themselves. Many of those bases hold men, and still look good. Sometimes it is tough to look at a base objectively, when you KNOW somebody fits inside it. All I'll say on this subject.
Gary,
Thanks for answering my question about collapsing the tip over trunk.

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-04-20 09:07, GerryFrenette wrote:
My bases look "chunky"? Pros all over the world will say otherwise. I don't have time to get in to huge discussions here, but my pictures speak for themselves. Many of those bases hold men, and still look good. Sometimes it is tough to look at a base objectively, when you KNOW somebody fits inside it. All I'll say on this subject.
[/quote]

Very well spoken and I am totally on your side here. Bases look horrible once you know bases exist.

But no matter what you think of the final product here, this course is about tip and tricks for building your own. If you think it looks chunky, then design and build it yourself. I can recommend a good DVD series on how to do this.
I have been guilding my magic for years, since I was a kid in junior high I'm now over 50. The subject interests me so I purchased the course. I would say to anyone interested in the subjext it is a MUST have.
The information and tips here are priceless and provided much more information than I had expected.
Kudos to Gerry and I hope he considers another set with more advanced concepts and a few more of the build demonstrations. Great work.
I don't think the building is wrong (what I take issue with is the decoration of the main table (using wall paper and chroming both edges). I would paint all flat back an just put on a one inch strip down the middle of white or chrome.
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Apr 21, 2012 11:49PM)
[quote]
On 2012-04-21 15:15, illusionman2 wrote:
I don't think the building is wrong (what I take issue with is the decoration of the main table (using wall paper and chroming both edges). I would paint all flat back an just put on a one inch strip down the middle of white or chrome.
[/quote]

That's my point exactly- if you build the base the way Gerry shows, the main "table" part of the base is clearly outlined in shiny chrome and I just can't see how that is supposed to look thin. You can take the table portion and, by following Rand Woodbury's route (and that of most other builders), you can make it appear substantially thinner. Again, as I stated before, I think these DVDs are a steal. I would not hesitate to recommend them to someone who has never built an illusion.
Interesting discussion. I wonder if Gerry has found that by providing definition to the table, it disarms the spectator vs no definitive edge being scrutinized more closely. I do not recall if he discussed his motivation or not in the course. I will say that in my opinion his bases look deceptive. I think one would expect an illusion prop to have a bit of a showy design for entertainment purposes, so it is in line with audience expectations.
Guys, this is a building course. Not a base course. If you know so much about base design, then go and make your own using the knowledge you can obtain in this series.

If you want to know about bases, look into "The Base Book" by Woodberry http://www.dennymagic.com/products/stage-magic/the-base-book-tables-and-staircases-for-the-modern-pro-by-rand-woodbury-book/
I said I wouldn't say anything else about bases, but I just can't keep quiet. Charlie is correct in what I am going for. In the audience's mind, a base can easily be 3 or 4 inches thick. This is not unreasonable for something that holds a persons weight. So I make the main table edge that thick, and define it with chrome on each edge of it. You are then showing this part as the actual table. If you make this part thinner, you are only going to need to make other parts thicker above or below it, and they will be hard to justify. You have to look at the overall appearance of the prop to the audience, not just the table edge. I DO talk about this very clearly in the course, and I understand there is a lot to take in on the first watching. Rand has some good stuff, but you will learn how to make deceptive bases in my course too. You don't have to agree with everything I say, and by all means go ahead and think for yourself too, but think carefully. Bottom line is, don't try to hide the edge of the table, display it prominently, and everything else is less noticeable.
Message: Posted by: freefallillusion1 (Apr 23, 2012 12:51PM)
Gerry,

Again, please don't take my comments the wrong way, as I am simply giving an honest review of the material I bought. My stance is still that I would wholeheartedly recommend your course to anyone, whether a beginner or experienced builder. There's info here for everyone. Also, you have some creations that I think are amazing. For instance, I first saw your "Crusher" on the demo video years ago and I have to say it's one of the most deceptive illusions I've ever seen. I agree with the testimonial that it truly appears as if there's nowhere for the girl to go. The live performance video on your site looks even better.

But as for bases that truly have to do all the "hidin'"- I agree that a three or four inch "table" section -could- be acceptable, but my point is that there is no reason why that same section needs to look as thick as it really is. You can take a table of that thickness and make it look thinner without adding thickness anywhere else. For example (and I know, this isn't a good example of a base with that function), look at the photos of "Head over Heels" on your own site. This is another prop that I loved the moment I saw it, and still do. But, go to the photos/info page on the prop and there are two types of base decoration here. First, there's the blue-speckled one on the right, and it has shiny trim on both edges of the base. Then, there are all the others pictured, including the one in the demo video. These have only one edge outlined. Same prop, but honestly, which looks thinner? To my eyes, there's absolutely no question. So, take that same idea, apply it to a full-on base, and ???

Again Gerry, you are a pro and there's no denying that! Awesome work!
Yes, I know what you mean. Here's the difference to me: The base on the Head Over Heels is so thin that you can do it either way, and it still looks fine. Nobody is suspicious of a 2" table edge. But when you have a base that contains an entire person, if you try to make the edge look thinner, you can succeed, but then you will have too much black below the last chrome line, and it will be harder to make that part less obvious. Trust me, I have tried it both ways. Feel free to experiment, that is what makes us sure how we want to do it. If you still disagree, we'll just agree to disagree. Thanks for your nice comments.
Oh, and take a look at how incredibly deceptive my Asrah table looks. It wouldn't be that good if I tried to make the edge look thinner.
Happy building everyone!
I just received my set in the mail. I've only made it through part of one disc, and have to say it's worth every penny. There are a lot of building ideas I had never thought of, or did not know how to accomplish. Thanks Gerry.
[quote]
On 2012-03-16 16:24, illusionman2 wrote:
It can be done I built my MA illusion in a small space
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w221/illusionman2_photo/cutbest-1.jpg
[/quote]

Holy cow - I just realized that the WHOLE reason I don't like appreciate the deceptiveness of this illusion is the opening of the bottom section...because it always looks stupid to me! ...but not in yours! I love the look here. Very natural and even more deceptive. Well done!!
I've watched thru the first couple discs so far. Great info so far! Looking forward to the rest. :)
Has anyone purchased the part II dvd set yet? I just came across it yesterday.
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, magictim wrote:
Has anyone purchased the part II dvd set yet? I just came across it yesterday. [/quote]

Is anyone in the USA selling Part II
With your exchange rate it may be just as well to purchase the DVD's from Gerry direct.

Blair
I got part 2 for christmas and just finished watching it. I must say that the first one was very useful and worthwhile. It's invaluble for anyone who wants to build illusions, regardless of which ones they are. This course helped me with building an original illusion, and gave me an idea for another one that I'm just starting. However this new second course is not nearly as important. It's great that Gerry decided to do another one, it's nice to see him again. However this one is mostly about building specific illusions, and not illusion building in general. The illusions that he demonstrates are "The Shadow box", "Photo booth", "Head Chopper", "Backstage with the magician", "Asrah Levitation", "Dekolta Chair", and how to make an "ATA case". He demonstrates the deceptive base in a new way and gives a few new general tips, but not really anything important. So unless you're planning to build one of these exact illusions, I really wouldn't recomend this course. I don't want to be rude, but there were several things about this course that I was a bit frustrated by. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give the first course about an 8. But this new one I'd only give about a 3 or 4.
No doubt part 1 has a lot more info, especially if you're new to building. But there was so much about materials, tools, techniques, and deceptive design, there was only one disc left for building. Many people said they loved part 1, but wanted to see more video blueprints, actual building. So part 2 has 4 discs full of building. And there are several new techniques used that weren't shown in part 1. Several people who have both have told me that they love part 2, so I guess it's a matter of preferences and opinions. Many people also told me that even if they don't plan to build the items, they enjoy just watching me build illusions from start to finish.

All the best,

Gerry
It's actually the commentsin this thread about materials, using tools and techniques that convinced me to buy the dvd set (first one). Plans and books in how to build specific illusions are available elsewhere but a dvd that also shows me how to use my tools and choose the right materials while I learn to make something I want to make sounds great. Hopefully they will arrive on Monday.
True Dale, but not VIDEO blueprints, showing every detail of how to build them.
Getting a peek over the shoulder of a pro is invaluable for me and tought me a lot - even if I do not want to build that specific Illusion - for my own projects. Whoever is interested in building illusions cannot go wrong with both sets in my opinion.
I read through this forum and it goes from "I am not learning enough about building" to nit picking on illusion design theory. These DVD are a "quick" course in building illusions. It is really needed, and is a great value.

If you feel you need more knowledge of the basics, that is not intent of these DVDs, a person should enroll in an adult education course at your local schools. There you will learn about tools and how to operate them. Then take a wood class, a welding class, and cabinet making class. These DVDs are not full course in the basics of tools and wood working.

As far as the chrome strip. It is long standing "secret" that this is a way to break up thickness and make something thinner. I can't believe that people that don't know the design secrets, are telling an "expert" that he is wrong. How insulting is that.

I have recently experienced this myself. A 21 year old kid, seen me working on my car. He goes out and buys a junk car. Ask me to help him put a new clutch in it and tear about the engine. He does not even know how to use a wrench properly, and then at every piece of advice I give, he says he does not agree with my solution. And yet, when he does what I suggest, it always works. Then he calls me a genius. So I just let him go. Today, I asked if torqued all the nuts. He said no. Believe me, I don't want to be anywhere near that car, when he turns the key.

Guys, if you don't like what you see on the DVDs, then don't do it and do it your way. I guess some just have to learn the hard way. But don't argue with the expert and don't tell him he is wrong. You just don't know what other "secrets" he possesses.
I got Part 2 Last week-- I liked it better than part 1--- So I guess it come down to what you like-- I liked the table (and will build one) also liked his base and steps design. there was a glitch in Disc 3 (it may have been only on the one I got) and I could not watch how to makes the wire form (but I am happy with my purchace). My wish list for part 3 if there is one -- please show how to make Zig Zag roller shades ( I get this question all the time). also on the interview portion I would like to know the story behind (did he do anything) when the Mask Magician exposed one of his original illusions on TV. Lot of info here great DVDs
Well I've been through all of the first set now except the last two illusions and it's definitely a very helpful set of DVDs for me. The advice on deceptive design especially made me realise why sometimes I have seen performances which are truly amazing and others where I felt you could of fitted a horse in the prop.

I have a couple of questions for you Gerry though others may be able to help.
The advice on the Sphinx principle was very helpful. I already understood the basics and I gained a little more from this dvd but was a little disappointed that there is no illusion build on the dvd that uses it (though as I said I haven't properly watched the second two builds yet so I may be wrong).
I am going to build a Sphinx table soon for a specific show and would be very interested if anyone could point me towards more details. I think I know enough already to get it right by trial and error but the more info I start with the better. So if anyone can help please feel free to PM me.

Secondly I am wondering what rights I get with the dvd. Sure the right to build and perform is included but what about to build and sell?
I'm guessing that it depends on who invented the illusion and when but then I also wonder about the specific designs that Gerry has provided? Can I make and sell these? There's only the vaguest chance this might happen but I'm interested to know.

Thanks

Dale
[quote]On Feb 16, 2015, DaleTrueman wrote:
Secondly I am wondering what rights I get with the dvd. Sure the right to build and perform is included but what about to build and sell?
I'm guessing that it depends on who invented the illusion and when but then I also wonder about the specific designs that Gerry has provided? Can I make and sell these? There's only the vaguest chance this might happen but I'm interested to know.

Thanks

Dale [/quote]

My guess is you have the right to build and sell everything but Gerry Frenette original base and steps design and his Phone Booth Illusion.
I believe that any illusion that's in the public domain can be built and sold by anyone. I'm not sure about the steps and phone booth though.
I rewatched the Faux painting segment last night--- He said on video that his wife does this not him, he should have let her do the segment on the video also-- it was a hot mess, and she is better to look at.