(Close Window)
Topic: Best table for traveling?
In your opinion, what is the best type of table for traveling. I will use the table fto hold props and also for spectators to sit at to cut cards etc on stage. Mainly parlour and small stage magic. I want something that is lightweight, portable, and can travel well.

Thanks for your input!
I can not imagine the type or table you are looking for, as you describe your idea. Most stand-up/stage/parlour tables are not something you can sit at as they are usually 42" tall when open.

For close-up I have never seen a close-up table to carry props in and for people to sit at around the table. All the close-up performers I have seen use a box or case that fits their act and is usually on the floor or a stand beside them below table height.

The only performing I know that present close-up magic in a theater setting currently is Paul Gertner.
I am looking at something along the lines of a spider table, which may be the best bet. I may have been misleading in the description. I will not be performing close up, per say, more like parlour style magic. I have a routine that using a jumbo deck of cards and requires a spectator to cut the pack a few times. I envision having them sit in a chair, but they could be standing as well.

So, basically a table that is portable is what I need. I have looked at the spider tables, and the height and specs are pretty good. I was hoping to get other leads of popular tables for stand up or stage and compare and contrast with the spider table.

Hopefully this makes more sense.
So no one else uses tables?
I use a Harbin style table that I made myself, they aren't terribly difficult to construct. It folds flat, is stable and sets up/knocks down in under 50 seconds. My design is unique in that I added a base for stability and use two bungee cords for tensioning.

It's my main busking and performance/stage table and is steady as a rock.

I have two smaller side tables constructed on the same principle that I use for props, ect.
Actually, a table is a very personal choice. A lot of guys use the Suit Case type table as it stores your props and looks good on stage. The famous Harry Anderson used an old carpetbagger suitcase from the old days and put it on a chair.

You can check out the Joe Lefler suitcase table and Viking Magic version of this table as well. They are expensive, but will serve you for over 20 years if cared for properly. Lefler makes a small and a regular size, but a small cube as well that attaches to a tripod stand.

It all depends on your materials you will be using, size and shape. You want to be able to pick up and return props and materials very easily so there is no lull in the show.

I recently switched from a Suit case type table to a Pilots Case. The case will simply be setting on a chair. Some people use suit cases, other use foot locker type trunks. For volunteers (?) during a show, they usually stand for better visibility or have them set on a chair, but not in front of a table.

Some people use a box table setting on a tripod stand. The box is usually 20x20x whatever height you need to easily reach inside. Then cover it with some nice looking material.

Abbott's Magic sell a Nite Club table and a suit case table as well.

All will have some drawbacks, if you can only put part of your act in, or put everything but one trick you have to carry separately.
Instand
I use a Joe leflar suitcase table. I love it. I can fit my entire show in it and it looks very professional. It's saved me trips many times and the fact that you can lock it comes in handy more than you would think if you do kids magic.
I carry a variety of tables. If you don't see what you need I do custom designs and orders.
http://flipdisc.com/mp.htm
In my opinion the problem with the Joe Lefler table is, that you have to bend in order to take the props from the down part. this may not suit every style of performing.
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 15:43, milesart wrote:
In my opinion the problem with the Joe Lefler table is, that you have to bend in order to take the props from the down part. this may not suit every style of performing.
[/quote]

I know people just hate to exercise!
[quote]
On 2012-04-09 15:21, Flip Disc wrote:
I carry a variety of tables. If you don't see what you need I do custom designs and orders.
http://flipdisc.com/mp.htm
[/quote]

I have one of Doug's tables on order and will be picking it up Tuesday when I am in the Pittsburgh area. Can't wait it looks awesome and his customer service on the phone was fantastic! :)

I like others on here, own several tables including Spider , Joe Lefler and Instand, but we use them at different times for different things. I am thinking though, that this new one I have on order from Doug will be the final answer to most of my table needs. If so, I will have a big table sale! :)

~Nanci
Considering what requirements were outlined, for those situations I use a barstool. It's cheap, some are tall and can be folded. I've found them to be quite steady and durable. Best of all, they sets up quickly.
[quote]
On 2012-04-01 18:09, Kyle Elder wrote:
I use a Joe leflar suitcase table. I love it. I can fit my entire show in it and it looks very professional. It's saved me trips many times and the fact that you can lock it comes in handy more than you would think if you do kids magic.
[/quote]

What I don't like about this table is, that you have to bend sometimes to grab items from the bottom. It may look unprofessional for some styles. How do you handle that?
What you are looking for is an In-Stand Table. It will be perfect for your needs and it breaks down so it will fit inside of a briefcase.

Here is a direct link: http://www.instand.com/CR3/cr3.shtml

What you need is the InStand CR3 and the price is $ 119.95 plus shipping.

I hope this is what you need. I personally own 3 of them and they are the best.

Rodney
The In-Stand Table is fine. But where do you store your items? It would be good, to have everything in one table complete.
Check out percussion tables. Drummers use them to hold their various instruments. Do a Goole search on "Percussion Table".

Ted
Ok, I'll admit I'm a table fanatic. I have several types of tables from the Joe Lefler table, a Dancing Springs table, an Anvil briefcase with a tray jack, an open top manipulation table, etc. In my case, it depends on what kind of venue I'm performing in, audience, access to the venue, routine; just to name a few variables. I don't think there is one table that fits all magicians.

In your case you could use a Dancing Springs / Fairchild magic roll on table for what you have described. Easy to roll on and off, nice looking and very sturdy. http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_007.htm
@milesart, the table that that magiclimber wants does not exist. I personally think the Lefler, Fairchild, and Flip Disc tables are not very good at all. Yes, they are all made very well but they all have the same common denominator they are all very heavy and way to hard to travel with on an airplane or in your car. Everybody praises the Lefler table and I just do not like when people say that. The magicians that I see use a Lefler or a Flip Disc Table have the same thing in common they all have to duck down out of the audiences view to get a prop. As for the Fairchild Table that is an open top table but not enough room to store what you need to fly with. It is also very heavy and you cannot store your props inside because that is where you store the legs, etc. In 28 years no one has come out with the perfect lightweight table and no one will because it cannot be done and keep the quality high without adding the weight.

And since we do not know what props magiclimber has we cannot even begin to send him in the right direction.

Rodney
Hey Darkwing,
Can you please check and verify your PM box?
Funny table story I borrowed a table at a convention many moons ago. And did my parlor act which involved a bowl of fire setting on said table. After the act I was informed that the table was an antique and worth around 20K... I nearly died! The things we do when we are young!
Rodney Palmer, you are mistaken with the FlipDisc Table. The primary design is soyou don't have toduckbehind the case. Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMxefUbXS_Y
The flip disc products are on my wish list at the moment. Unfortunately I'm not doing enough shows to warrant that amount of money for a table no matter how ideal. I had a table custom built a while back that is absolutely beautiful and a dream to work on (beats any closeup mat on the market today for feel and ease of use) but it was too heavy for the table base I had at the time. I've taken to using a bar stool to support it (though I need to add some kind of clamp to hold it in place for when a spectator leans on the edge)

One question to flip disc, how sturdy are your metal table bases? How much can they hold without wobbling? My table measures about 18" by 25" approx. (I don't have it infront of me at the moment to give exact measurements) and is made out of oak. Thus the weight issue. It has a four inch skirt of wood around the bottom and is perfect for setting on any table and I've been considering adding a modified servante. My only other viable option that I've seen is an extremely strong table base made for computers which costs a bit more than your table base. The width and weight of my table may cause your table base to wobble regardless, but I would like to know if it's worth looking into. It looks a lot stronger than my last table base which is why I'm considering it at all.
@Flip Disc,

This is with all due respect to your products. They are very well made. But you missed my POINT. And that was your Tables are just way to Heavy and they get Heavier when they are full of props.

Because of the use of Heavy Tables such as the Lefler and others. I now have 2-Torn Rotator Cuffs from lugging around these HEAVY Type Tables. If you want to save your HEALTH and your Rotator Cuffs and your Lower Back especially the L-4/L-5 Region DO NOT PURCHASE or CARRY around HEAVY Suitcase Type Tables as you will regret it later in life. I am only 47 and I am messed up for life. I cannot afford to take off over 3-Years to have all the Surgeries and Physical Therapy done. Can you afford to do this?

Rodney
I had a flip disc product (Ultimate Gig Case), and cannot recommend them for being sturdy or built for professionals. The flip disc product was very weak, flimsy, and has been repaired several times, starting two weeks after I got it. A FIVE YEAR OLD KID leaned on the table and it broke! The base was very sturdy, it was just a drum stand (as already mentioned) but the table top was very poorly assembled.

Dancing Spring no longer offers their tables...it appears. Too bad, I heard they were the best

Try an Instand, or having someone custom make one, using a simple drum stand, as mentioned before. Instand guarantees their tables, and has the weight limit of each table listed. Most manufacturers of tables won't list that info...they know their tables won't hold much.

As mentioned in another post, the Flip Disc ultimate gig case was not practicle as it weighed A TON empty! In addition, it came with weak casters that lasted only a couple weeks and were promptly replaced with professional ones from Harbor Freight.

Still on the lookout for a good, portable, lightweight side table!

Hope that helps,
Kevin
First find a case that can carry the props you require, box flight case, briefcase style etc. Decorate with a colour scheme or style in keeping with your show. Place on a Walkstool Comfort, select model according to the working height you favour [http://www.walkstool.com/].

If you simply need it for a work surface rather than prop storage during your show you could simply drape a cloth over it, finishing off with a closeup mat.

Works a treat.
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Sep 26, 2013 05:43PM)
I own an Ultimate Gig Case II from Flip Disc and I LOVE it! I have owned mine for over a year and it's just as strudy as the day I got it. Is it heavy? Maybe to some with the case and the side table....maybe 35 lbs. empty. Perhaps Doug can weigh in with exact weight. I find that having a handle on each side of the case an advantage if you are weighed down with a TON of props. One person on each side to carry it, as opposed to having a center handle like the Lefler table. The only lifting is in/out of the van or going upstairs, there is always someone willing to lend a hand, other than that it wheels around.

When I first saw this table and really gave it a going over, I saw the advantages. Is it pricey? Maybe...but like I said about Chance Wolfs products...good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good. I saved for 6 months to purchase this table and it's one of the best investments I have ever made! I knew I was going to have it for a long time.

Rodney, I'm with you in age (49 in acouple of weeks) and everything is still working as it should, just trying to work smarter not harder. If people want to help carry some of my heavy things....I let them. LOL

Is this table for every performer? Probably not, just like every trick is not for every magician.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Mark
Most of the Suitcase Tables when FULL of Props, etc. weigh in around the 60 lb. region and that is way to HEAVY for one person even to lift in and out of your vehicle. I am a One Man Show and rarely do I ask people to help me out. The only exception to helping me out are School Shows where I usually have 2-Fifth Grade Boys help me Load in and Load out. I pay them with a 2-Card Monte Effect. After the Show I request permission from their teacher to show them how to perform the effect. And they are very happy that they now know how to perform an effect. But I always tell them to go home and practice for at least 1-week before they show it to their class or anyone else.

Rodney
Is there a reason that the original poster didn't want a small portable side table, with something like a briefcase? You can set the briefcase on the table for most of the act, and shuffle cards on top of the closed briefcase. Simply open the briefcase when you want to take a trick out. Or, if you're a purist, take the briefcase off of the table for a short bit while performing the cards on only the table (an alternative to a briefcase could be something like a doctor's bag).

A few years ago I saw Bill Abbott perform a very entertaining hour long public show for an audience of 350-400, using only a briefcase (might have been a doctor's bag) and stand. So, some performers can pack a whole show in a briefcase.

Here are some options for tables, from the small to the larger:

[url=http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_013.htm]- Fairchild Quick Set Side Table[/url]

[url=http://www.instand.com/cr3/cr3.shtml]- Instand CR3[/url]

[url=http://www.billabbottmagic.com/online-store/PSTABLEdiscontinued.html]- Bill Abbott Pack Smart Table (currently available, but you could buy it used from someone)[/url]

[url=http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_007.htm]- Fairchild Deluxe Side Table[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/ultimate-table-base-compact-size-new]- Showtime Magic's Ultimate Table Base-Compact[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/ultimate-table-base]- Showtime Magic's Ultimate Table Base-Large[/url]

[url=http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_054.htm]- Fairchild Laflin Table[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/hank-moorehouse-cube-table]- Showtime Magic's Hank Moorehouse Cube Table[/url]

[url=http://charvetmagic.com/catalog/i7.html]- Charvet Magic's Deluxe 10 Second Table[/url]

[url=http://charvetmagic.com/catalog/i8.html]- Charvet Magic's Original 10 Second Table[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/pro-suitcase-table-large]- Showtime Magic's Pro Suitcase Table-Large (Joe Lefler)[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/pro-suitcase-table-large-copy]- Showtime Magic's Pro Suitcase Table-Small (Joe Lefler)[/url]

[url=https://squareup.com/market/showtime-magic-products/pro-suitcase-table-small-copy]- Showtime Magic's Pro Suitcase Table-Mini (Joe Lefler)[/url]

[url=http://fairchildmagic.com/fairchild_magic_015.htm]- Fairchild Magic's Alum-I-Lite suitcase Table[/url]

- Donald

P.S. I'm going to suggest something about the weight. I have used a Lefler table for over 20 years, and it is heavy when loaded. But then again, it does have wheels. Most of the people who have back problems from lifting a table in and out of their vehicle, aren't having it because of the weight of the table. It's more about how they are lifting it, or because they themselves are overweight (lots of back problems are tied to being overweight / not maintaining good health and exercise).
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Sep 29, 2013 08:44PM)
Donald

I have had back problems in the past (spasms), not due to my weight (135 lbs), but to poor lifting technique. It's always good to do some good stretching in the a.m. to start the day and remember to lift with your legs!

Mark
It seems odd that suitcase tables haven't kept up with advances in materials. I prefer to use lightweight plastic cases, because they weigh so much less than the props. When I built my own suitcase tables, I started to lose my motivation, because the cases were hard to maneuver in many venues. The weight was a huge problem.
Gee Alan--I guess that I'm not the only one!

I had a magician friend who taught wood shop in a Junior High School.

He offered to build me a "Merv Taylor" style suitcase table. We discussed weight, portability, sturdiness, ETC. --It had to "take it" on the road, and still look nice.

It arrived, It was well made, reasonably light weight, and looked first class.

I spent much of a week arranging props, etc.

I hit the road with it. It was heavier (even though my props only weigh about 18 lbs)than I liked, but I gave it a season's use. I ended up with a CHIROPRACTOR!

I went back to my little 13" x 20" x 8" fibre "suitcase" and a small waiter's cross legs!
I received a Flip Disc Ultimate Gig Case II three days ago. The quality is incredible and the case is marvelous. Designed impeccably.

HOWEVER it is *WAY WAY WAY* too heavy for me. The table is about 55lbs EMPTY. I'm 6' and 145lbs (skinny dude), and gig 300 days a year, much of it flying. I can barely get it in and out of my car without straining and worry about hurting myself. With props in it, forget it. Plus, it's over the weight requirement for checked luggage and most airlines will charge $100 EACH WAY in order to check it.

Flip Disc has offered me a refund minus 10% restocking fee (which doesn't thrill me, but I suppose that's fair). I plan on sending it back to him after the weekend. [b]If anybody here does not have the concerns that I do and is interested in buying it off of me instead, I'll send it for $600 including shipping.[/b]

Private message me.

~Brian
Brian,
In addition to being way, way to heavy, the construction build is NOT quality. I had one. I HAVE one! If you haven't ever used it, it may seem "incredible," but from a professional who actually used it...it's not!

This thing wouldn't last one flight, much less several. I had a five year old kid break mine, just by leaning on it! Then the handles came off. Then the wheels broke. It's been one disaster after another.

Do yourself a favor and find another case, plastic is best!

Still on the lookout for an awesome case......

Hope this helps,
Kevin
As I said, I've had it 3 days and haven't gigged with it, so I can't speak to whether it will hold up or not in a constant touring situation like I am. I don't intend to find out.
Kevin, You have one of the original cases which were only out for a short period of time. The series II cases have all ATA recessed hardware and 2 1/2" heavy duty casters. We are always looking for ways toimprove the case and appreciate feed back. I have flown mine several times to conventions with no problem. We are looking for ways to reduce weight without jepordizing structure or increasing cost. Keepin mind that these are 2 cases in 1 with a sturdy metal stand. They are designed with weight & balance in mind and still weigh less than 2 suitcaes tables.I strive to put the best caseout I can and realize that there is no 1 case that is a perfect fit for everyone. I have built many custom cases for clients to fit their needs.
Flip Disc,
The recessed hardware does nothing to make this thing sturdier, lighter, that's just for looks. I haven't had any problems with the handles.

The build construction of the case was poor (joints weren't properly aligned, etc.) You can see a space in one of the joints in the bottom of the case!

The casters were junk, they wouldn't last rolling over one parking lot, but I got around that by getting my own from Harbor Freight.

The table flange was screwed in with screws that were way too small and barely entered the wood. For $700, I expected much, much higher quality.

Glad to hear you're making improvements, I wish you the best of luck!

Kevin
[quote]
On 2013-10-04 23:46, Dick Oslund wrote:
Gee Alan--I guess that I'm not the only one!

I had a magician friend who taught wood shop in a Junior High School.

He offered to build me a "Merv Taylor" style suitcase table. We discussed weight, portability, sturdiness, ETC. --It had to "take it" on the road, and still look nice.

It arrived, It was well made, reasonably light weight, and looked first class.

I spent much of a week arranging props, etc.

I hit the road with it. It was heavier (even though my props only weigh about 18 lbs)than I liked, but I gave it a season's use. I ended up with a CHIROPRACTOR!

I went back to my little 13" x 20" x 8" fibre "suitcase" and a small waiter's cross legs!
[/quote]

You're right, Dick. Those fiber cases are nice and light.

I use a 14" X 18" X 30" plastic tote, which rests on a wooden restaurant tray jack, for the family shows. The totes are made by Sterilite and comes in a variety of colors. They're so light that I can easily do curls with them, using only my little finger. They absorb shock well under normal circumstances and aren't prone to cracking.

For stand-up shows for the adults, I typically use a vinyl catalog case on a 30" folding barstool.
Hi Alan! It sounds like you've "found" the right one to fit your situation for family type shows.

I knew Lefler--casually. His tables may fit some magician's needs, but definitely not mine! I saw him work a family show once. YUK.

I found a "shrunken" version of a waiter's tray stand in a thrift shop, about 15 years ago ($5.00). My prop case fit nicely and I used it for many years. I still use it for the occasional club date. For my last several years (before I retired) I put big casters on an old CARROUSEL slide projector table (like a waiter stand, but had a hard top). It made working on gym floors a lot easier.

For a season or two in the early '80s, I used two cases for the school show. I had found a catalog case (like new) at a yard sale, for $3.00!!!. I also had found a little case used by hair dressers when they made 'house calls'. The cat. case sat on a chair, and the hairdresser case sat on an OLD "Drive In" car tray (it hooked on the car door). I could hook the tray on a borrowed chair back. (The tray cost me $1.00 in a California thrift shop! It, too, gets occasional use.

Karrell invited me to come along on a club date in Detroit (20 years ago) His 30 minute act carried in a leather "shoe box' size case (which also carried the tripod table base! I asked him where he found the table base. He said it was a base used by court reporters to hold their stenotype machines. He had paid $75.00 for it in an office supply store.

The following year, I "visited" a thrift shop in Fresno, CA. On a big table marked: "Anything on this table--$2.00", I spotted a "dupe' of Karrell's tripe, (NEW!). I grabbed it and headed for the check out counter. An elderly lady was the cashier. She asked where I had found it. I pointed to "the" table. She said "Everything on that table is 1/2 off today!" When I showed it to Karrell the next summer at Abbott's, he almost cried! (Karrell was not only a very funny guy, he was also extremely "thrifty"!)
Thank you for your input Kevin. Without input we would have no idea what's working and what need attention. We have addressed all the issues you have mentioned and continue to look for ways to build better products.
Honestly, I'm just commenting so I can find this thread later. There is a tremendous wealth of information on tables here.
I had a custom table built for me by Spider-Legs (http://spiderlegs.com/). I was and am absolutely delighted with it:

*Solid wood, solidly made. There is no substitute, in my view, for real wood. Magicians' tables often look cheap, or simply utilitarian. That's fine, too. But I like to announce Who I Am by unfolding a really cool, uniquely constructed table with a gleaming mahogany finish. It looks classy, it looks professional, and it is.

*Folds up into a tight little package with a built-in handle, looking like a long, narrow briefcase. It is a wonder to see the thing being folded up again: spectators seem to find the whole thing really cool and inventive. Good message to send for my act, anyway.

*You can get these tailored exactly to your specs. Buzz, the guy who runs the business, is very helpful and accommodating. I wanted a table where my hands at rest would be flat on the table; a table narrow enough that I wouldn't seem too distant from my specs; a table long enough to do "cards across" comfortably with two spectators at either end. And I got it.

I hand-finished mine with mahogany, mostly because I wanted to use an environmentally friendly finish. That took a lot of time and effort (as anyone who has applied multiple finishes to wood before knows). But Buzz normally does the finishing himself, and cheaply. Later, I purchased a duffle bag online that fits it like a glove. I have been carrying this thing around now for months and so far haven't knicked or damaged it, owing to the duffle. (You could carry it around using the built-in wood cavity handle, but that is surely inviting dings.)

Anyone interested in seeing a photo, let me know, and I'll post one. The manufacturing end, not counting the finish I bought, cost me under $200. Well worth it for a lifetime investment in my magic.
[img]http://theambitiouscard.com/img/products/www-TravellerTable2.jpg[/img]

this is what I would use.
I have not used it but IKEA has some pretty interesting tables that can be packed small and set up in minutes. I have seen other magicians use them.
My Spiderlegs table, in various stages of readiness (having trouble uploading this ***ed photo--I will keep trying).
Here is a table that I really hope becomes a reality.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/796790188/mcchi-luggage-its-a-luggage-usb-charger-and-a-tabl-0

Carl Woody
I've been using a aluminium briefcase on a tripod for a while but now looking for something portable but a bit more professional.

This looks great but not sure how well Astroboard will hold up?

http://www.thewoodwizard.co.uk/?page_id=56
What about a adjustable music stand lay the top flat and then sit a briefcase on top and make a flap of wood Hanging from the top inside that you can flip up . have attached swinging legs under that so you have a table top and the storage under that make a place for the legs to lock or sit in
Adjustable music stands are typically very light weight, don't have a way to hold something flat very well, and tip easily. don't they?
How you connect table top/ briefcase with tripod? Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet.
[quote]On Mar 1, 2016, iluzjonista wrote:
How you connect table top/ briefcase with tripod? Most of the tripods have thread 6 mm (1/4 inch) in diameter and I can't find the right connector for it on internet. [/quote]

I sent you a PM regarding this
The best tables for traveling are the ones made by SPIDER evoflex. The spider tables and backdrops are high quality made in Germany equipment and are light to carry, easy and fast to set up and take down and last a lifetime. They also make the great Qble table, which I also use in my kids show.
Https://youtu.be/LYbsW35R0AM

I have this portable laptop table. However, watch the video. This table is completely self-contained travel case and everything. I have one and wait for it...
This can be screwed onto your favorite performing table top.
The four telescoping legs mean that you can level your performing table ANYWHERE, even on a slope or a uneven cobblestone walkway! Plus they are strong and everything packs away on the bottom.
Even if you donít want to add another tabletop, it is fine just use the top as is...just add a closeup pad!

Blessings!
Steph
Any knows where I can get customized travel table. 50cm by 30 cm..i recently move to LA and I didn't bring my prop table
I must confess, this is my favorite one so far. It's served me very well over the last few years, sturdy as a rock, sets up in a few seconds and is extraordinarily lightweight. It's also fairly inexpensive compared to many performance tables and is readily available at any hardware store.

The downside is that it will not carry your props and is remarkably ugly for a magic table. I cover it with a largish table cloth that reaches the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WX066-Sidekick-Portable-Table/dp/B072X4T8BF
[quote]On Oct 21, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

Karrell invited me to come along on a club date in Detroit (20 years ago) His 30 minute act carried in a leather "shoe box' size case (which also carried the tripod table base! I asked him where he found the table base. He said it was a base used by court reporters to hold their stenotype machines. He had paid $75.00 for it in an office supply store.

Dick, I imagine the case was also the stenographer type? Been thinking of putting something like this together for a long time.
[quote]On Apr 3, 2019, Rook wrote:
I must confess, this is my favorite one so far. It's served me very well over the last few years, sturdy as a rock, sets up in a few seconds and is extraordinarily lightweight. It's also fairly inexpensive compared to many performance tables and is readily available at any hardware store.

The downside is that it will not carry your props and is remarkably ugly for a magic table. I cover it with a largish table cloth that reaches the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WX066-Sidekick-Portable-Table/dp/B072X4T8BF [/quote]

Usually non-magic tables lack the proper height (too short). But this one actually looks like it could work.
How do you like the height Rook? is it C*** high? Ish?
Two tables I that I wish for but don't own but have seen them in use and can vouch for their awesomeness.

From Zauberparadies in Switzerland. An absolute gem of a table for the serious busker:

https://www.zauberparadies.ch/exklusiv/speed-table-2-0-gauklertisch.html

and this very function table which is very lite and packs up very small. A Buskers Delight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoPKiR31FY

Unfortunately the 1st one may be out of the range of some and the 2nd I don't think is available. But may give you the idea of what to look for in a table.

Note: One Swiss Franc equals one US Dollar
[quote]On Apr 13, 2019, Nem wrote:
[quote]On Oct 21, 2013, Dick Oslund wrote:

Dick, I imagine the case was also the stenographer type? Been thinking of putting something like this together for a long time. [/quote]

About 2 or 3 years later, while on the road, in Fresno, CA, I found karrell's "twin" base! It's a very strong tripod and is about 13" long when folded. It was ob a table with a sign:

"Anything on this table, $2.00. The zipper plastic case was with it. I grabbed it. At the check out counter, the lady asked which table I had found it on. I pointed and she said that's all 1/2 price! Karrell almost fainted when I showed him!

I was thinking of a smaller case for club dates, than my 13" x 20" x 8" fiber "fat" attache case (for the school show). I used the smaller case about
the same as Karrell's, for awhile, but, finally gave it to a friend.

Much of the props in my school show, came from thrift shops!