(Close Window)
Topic: Your favorite coin holdouts
I have been looking around the web for various coin holdouts. Can anyone tell me which is their favorite one and why?
I have the invisable hand complete set with the 3 dvd set.
it is very well made.has a lot of attachments with it too.
ive heard a lot of people say.no matter what holdout you buy.
you need to but the 3 dvd set for the invisable hand.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Mar 26, 2012 10:01AM)
The Trabucco holdout is great!
I second the Trabucco. If you see Joe Mogar at a convention ask him about his...useful with or without a jacket.
Some great suggestions here. :) Perhaps this is from down a sorta different street but then again, you know me. :D Been using something like this little do-hickey for years and years, works like a charm and at a great price too. ;) I just open it up and put it in my back pocket or any pocket, and let it do what it do. I'm just sayin'. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EEL-SKIN-MAGNETIC-BILL-HOLDER-MONEY-CLIP-WALLET-BLACK-/160619035803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2565a3fc9b
The trabucco is great.but I do more than just
coin work.the invisable hand will do it all.
Thanks guys. I have read a little about the Trabucco holdout. Can this be worn without a jacket? Bowers can you use the invisible hand without a jacket?
Thnks guys.
You don't have to have a jacket.
but you do need long sleeves.
but the sleeves need to be open at the end
of the hand.there is a multitube of attachments
that can be bought to do coin silk rope ect..
todd
Just put a strong Magnetic At the botton of your Vest Or coat! Or just on a card in your back pocket! That's what I have allways Done!
Ditto :)
Long Post :) I would have said something A few days ago! But I didn't want you to think I was Holding out on you! :)
Thanks Mr. Neighbors. I really like the idea of using a magnet for holdouts. My problem is I only have a magnetic flipper. Are there ways to shim coins to make use of the magnetic holdout?
Yea Todd Does of Mine for me! :)
I also use the "Butt Magnet" in the back pocket. A 3" fender washer with multiple magnets works great.

The thing that makes the Trabucco holdout so nice is that the "outside" side won't attract to metal. Very cool.
IMO you do need to wear a jacket with it. I have tried it with a shirt and it just doesn't look good.

Sammy
My shirts Tales out And open Have worked Ok! But sometimes the magnetics have come off in the wash!!! :)
Necessity is the mother of invention. I use this hang down holdout for a very heavy, half troy pound of silver, 3-1/2 inch exact replica of the Silver Eagle production coin. The holdout is constructed from a common spring type clothespin. I am not familiar with the terminology of clothespins so let us call the two thin wooden parts - 'legs'. Drill a small hole through the end of one leg. Thread a 10" piece of 20# monofilament line through the hole and tie it off with a knot. The other end of the line is passed though the eye of a safety pin.

Place the coin to be used in the jaws of the clothespin. Open the performance coat and pin the safety pin in about 6" above where you want the coin to be produced. Adjust the length of the line so the coin is about 1" higher than the coat edge and tie it off with a barrel knot. In this position the coin can be pulled out the clothespin with the thumb and middle finger.

The tension produced the spring is usually too great and it grips the coin so firmly that removal is difficult. To counter this tension wrap a rubber band around the ends of both legs and by increasing the number of wraps you can adjust the spring tension so any coin can be held firmly and yet released with a gently tug.

For 50 cents worth of common materials you have a durable holdout..

-Bob
Rare earth magnet(s) either taped to the inside of my shirt tails or on my back pocket. I also just picked up a "Tool Band-It" on ebay for $7 that I'm going to experiment with.
I just got this eBook the other day! I like this one!

http://www.lybrary.com/cosmar-coin-gimmick-p-152557.html

:)

Doug
The Cosmar EBOOK is very well written! Great Work!

I also use the dollar size magnetic disks. I hide them in an empty pack of gum (the flat rectangular type). Inside the gum package is a flat sheet of light flexible steel that is the same dimensions as the gum package. I then place a magnetic disk on each side of the sheet (this holds the magnetic discs in place where ever you want them on the sheet). I place the sheet with magnets inside the gum package.
This set up allows me to have a magnetic hold out either towards the higher part of my back pocket or the lower or more to the left or right. You can adjust the magnets around inside the package. And you can remove the gum package out of your back pocket without revealing you have magnets back there.

I created this set up because quite often the magnet sits too low in the my back pocket. You can easily fix this by sandwiching the fabric of the pocket material with 2 magnetic discs. But I wanted the option to easily remove the magnets from my back pocket without much fuss.

caL
Cal, buddy, that's GENIUS! Gonna buy some gum! Thanks!
Great idea Calvin, thank you.
Precept Magic has 2 different sized holdouts. The Subterfuge Magic System can also be a very useful tool that can really help clean up ditches and you do not need long sleeves or clothing requirments.
If you have any questions let me know.

link for Subterfuge Magic System- http://www.preceptmagic.com/product/subterfuge-magic-system

link for the holdouts- http://www.preceptmagicshop.com/servlet/the-New/Categories
If you liked the rectangular gum package idea, try this one:

candy stores like "Powells" will carry metal mint cases that are very thin (1/3" thick) but wider and longer than a deck of cards. Stick a few magnetic disks in the inside of the case and slip it into your back pocket. You can adjust the placement of the magnets inside the thin mint box. now you have a holdout that also holds mints. Talk about multi-tasking!

caL
I have a huge mag size of cigarette pkg and just put in my rear pocket. Great bill switch routine putting large paper clip on folded bill.
[quote]
On 2012-04-20 15:43, BuddhaStephy wrote:
Precept Magic has 2 different sized holdouts...

link for Subterfuge Magic System- http://www.preceptmagic.com/product/subterfuge-magic-system

link for the holdouts- http://www.preceptmagicshop.com/servlet/the-New/Categories
[/quote]

Ya know, the more I look at this the more I like it! I do not wear a ring, so that's out. However, for those of you who DO...ya might wanna take a closer look...

Doug
Thank you Doug. I appreciate your suppport :)
Cal, I bought some gum. And magnets from an arts & craft store. They weren't strong enough. SO I put some double-stick tape on the back of my Super Coin, attaching it inside the pack where I prefer. Works perfect! Minty fresh! AND I have an extra coin to use. Thanks for sharing your idea!
Yeah, the magnets from the arts and crafts stores are not strong enough. The Neodymiums work best and can be purchased from the internet or ebay. But it seems like you have a work around. I am glad it worked for you.

:o)
http://www.kjmagnetics.com is my resource for strong, durable and MANY different sizes of neo magnets.

Great ideas listed above. I will have to try some of the home-style versions!

I have long used the magnet in the pocket idea, as well as other similar ideas. As far as the commercial versions, I have only tried the Trabucco and it gets my vote too.
@BuddhaStephy, what about any noise with the SMS? I don't like some of the PK rings because of the noise that you have to cover (I know, I'm picky). It sounds like there are several options available with the SMS, did they take noise into account?

JD
^ Thanks for the magnets link.
Yea looks Cool man! Thanks.
No problem! There are a lot of things you can do with those "odd-shaped" magnets that they carry. Just think outside the box a little...
[quote]
On 2012-04-30 09:13, Preacherman wrote:
@BuddhaStephy, what about any noise with the SMS? I don't like some of the PK rings because of the noise that you have to cover (I know, I'm picky). It sounds like there are several options available with the SMS, did they take noise into account?

JD
[/quote]

There is absolutely NO noise with the SMS. Although it is a PK system it does not use a fragile PK ring and the ring is not ma****ic. If you would like some more detailed info PM me and I would be happy to answer any of your questions.
As for noise, any time you have one hard surface contacting another hard surface in your hand, you need a combination of tension vrs relaxation when sliding one object onto the other without noise.

The analogy is similar to David Neigbor's soft palming.

cAL
With the SMS the noise thing is covered because there are never two hard surfaces coming together like it would if you say... used a PK ring. SMS is NOT a PK ring or anything close to it. That is the wicked, sneaky, wonderful, beauty of it :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-30 07:23, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
http://www.kjmagnetics.com is my resource for strong, durable and MANY different sizes of neo magnets.

I have ordered magnets from them. Great stuff!
[quote]
On 2012-05-07 03:35, BuddhaStephy wrote:
With the SMS the noise thing is covered because there are never two hard surfaces coming together like it would if you say... used a PK ring. SMS is NOT a PK ring or anything close to it. That is the wicked, sneaky, wonderful, beauty of it :)
[/quote]
Yes but the ring is always suspicious looking. Even to a lay person.
I am not too sure about that. My husbands wedding ring is actually one of the SMS rings. I also wear one on my right middle finger and I have never had anyone question me about it, even when I perform with the SMS. We also waer them all of the time so maybe everyone sees them on our fingers every time they see us so it doesn't seem suspicious. If you are thinking about the suspicious nature of your ring people might pick up on that... but I really don't know many people that don't wear rings and the new SMS ring has a very "in" look. It looks more like a darker titanium type designer ring. Maybe it is because it is so fashionable looking, we haven't had too much of an issue with this at all.
For my Jumbo Coin Load, I simply use one of these 'spring-top purses' pinned upside down near the lower edge of my jacket:

http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecards4magic%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2f&WD=purse&PN=Containers__Purses_Etc_%2ehtml%23a10691#a10691

Clearly, this method could be used for easily obtaining other coins too.

It may be a skinflint solution but you know what - it works! ;)
Hi Barry.

That page isn't rendering very well here, but it is probably something on the order of the Utility Holdout available at Magic by Pauline, here:

http://www.magicbypauline.com/paypal/project2/TDC_Utility_Holdout.html

Tiny safety pins on the top and a really tight spring across the bottom. Text on product page includes, "This unit can be pinned beneath the coat and will hold a 3-inch coin, two half-dollars, sponge balls, spring flowers or bills. It will also hold cards, envelopes, paper currency, thimbles, keys, and cigarettes. PLUS MANY OTHER ITEMS TOO NUMEROUS TO LIST!"

Cheap, too!

Jim
Yep - that's the boys Jim.

(The Cards4Magic website appears to be working fine now if any UK based guys want to check it out).