(Close Window)
Topic: Definitive Sankey
Three Volume Set
1500 pages
Over 400 effects
Expected release date July 2012

The only thing I've seen about it is a small blurb on Vanishing Inc's site.

Looks like someone has FINALLY gotten that magic recluse Sankey to tip some of his effects. I thought it would never happen!

Actually, even though I have the overwhelming majority of books and DVDs released by Sankey, I'll probably end up picking this up too. If it wasn't being put out by Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin I'd probably let it pass, but I think their input/insight will be valuable. And as much as Sankey's "brand" has been diluted with some duds that's he released in recent years. he still has an overwhelming wealth of amazing material -- perhaps more than anyone else of his generation -- and it's always good to reintroduce yourself to some of them.
Rumor has it that these are all gems from his "working set" that he's been "holding back!" :D

But seriously, I'm going to get this at some point just out of respect for Sankey as a creator and a teacher. Like a lot of creative people, he doesn't always have a filter, but he's produced more diamonds and gold among the ore than most could in two lifetimes. He's a great teacher for new students, thanks to his patient and articulate approach to teaching, plus he's got enough flash up his sleeve (have you ever seen a better riffle pass, tenkai move or MCF?) to inspire folks at all levels. He's not a "Ponta" technician, but he does have a great eye for what will be impressive for normal audiences. Plus, Jay and Gladwin will no doubt supply the "filter" that guarantees a quality project.
Anyone read the interview with Sankey and the excerpts from his forthcoming book project in this month's Magic magazine? Very interesting interview. Filled in some gaps for me, anyway. Glad they asked some of the tougher questions, like "what happened with the Big A** Box of Magic, anyway?" According to the interview, Sankey refuses to rank his own effects in terms of strength and quality. They're all his "children." He says that Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin kept pushing him for some sort of system of self evaluation while writing the book, but he refused. Despite that, though, the few effects he cites as among his "go to" creations include effects that most would probably agree are among his strongest, so I'm guessing he has more awareness of relative quality than he let on. Oh, and he unapologetically admits that he hasn't performed all 1800 of his released effects.
Hiya MaxflieldsMagic: I didn't know the issue was out yet (I wrote it and did the interview). Where did you score a copy?

And as for the books- I can tell you, they look amazing.

My best,

jamie
My friend was one of the editors on this project. It sounds like this will include all his marketed effects and will be extremely thorough. Obviously not all his material is good, but some of his marketed effects are decent.
[quote]
On 2012-05-24 12:17, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
I didn't know the issue was out yet (I wrote it and did the interview). Where did you score a copy?

[/quote]

Standard subscription delivery. Great interview and article, Jamie. You asked just the right questions, and got some interesting responses.

BTW - do you know if the four Sankey effects in the magazine are lifted verbatim from the book, or are they condensed?
From Vanishing Inc.

"We have received our preview copies of The Definitive Sankey from the printers and we're very proud of them. The two of us have worked for over four years on these books and it's really quite something to see them on our shelves. We'll be emailing you next week with info on how you can get your set!"
http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-books/the-definitive-sankey-volumes-1-3
When I get the money I'm an definitely buying these. Even though there are many effects that Sankey has created that I didn't like, Sankey is a magical genius and I think this looks like an extremely exciting project! With Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin steering the ship on these books I would think that they are very high quality.
"Learn only the very best of Jay Sankey
Four years in the making: The Definitive Sankey is ready
Four years ago we (Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin) embarked on a literary journey to describe the very best of Jay Sankey’s enormous body of work. The idea was simple: if you eliminate the weak tricks from Jay’s unparalleled output of DVDs, books, tricks, and web videos, what you’re left with is a largely undiscovered treasure trove of magic—much of it without playing cards.

What we didn't anticipate is that the project would take nearly four years of constant work to complete. This project is the largest, most comprehensive collection of one person's magic ever released at one time. And the material is so, so, so good.

Do you like tricks with borrowed bills? There are over THIRTY effects with borrowed bills. Mentalism? A whole chapter devoted to the subject. What about impromptu card magic? Over SEVENTY such effects.

If you were to buy all of Jay's books and releases separately, the total would exceed $6000. Finally, you can own the best of the best—the well-known Sankey classics, the updated handlings on your favorite effects, and hundreds of amazing miracles you have never heard of...all in one collection, for just 150 dollars.

When you buy the books through Vanishing Inc. Magic, every trilogy comes with a feature-length DVD performing and teaching what was voted by editors as the "best" of The Definitive Sankey. Three hardbound volumes and a DVD ... all for 150 dollars (or 60 dollars per book separately).

Each book is hardbound, fully-indexed, and printed on treated paper in gorgeous two-color rendering. You will find the best of all his material, including the hard-to-find books, out-of-print videos, and DVDs. Even his theory masterpiece, Beyond Secrets, is included.

Thousands of crisp photographs were taken to make learning Sankey's magic as informative and easy as possible.

Deluxe edition: a beautiful, collectable set
For the collectors, we have an extremely limited supply of Collector's Edition volumes. For just $250 dollars, you get special edition volumes in sleek black leatherette, plus a gorgeous slipcase, plus TWO feature-length DVDs of Jay performing the best of the best. Finally, every deluxe edition is signed by Jay, Josh and Andi and contains an original page from one of Jay's notebooks. "
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jul 10, 2012 04:16PM)
The only thing I have to decide is normal edition or collectors edition....hmmmm.....
This is one of the only things I've been proper excited about in the past year or two. TOO much crap filling the market these days, about time we had a some real quality. Now, where's my *** piggy bank!?

Lloyd

P.s. Excellent work everyone over at Vanishing Inc.!
Very very excited about this, although I think my wallet can only manage the normal edition.
Uk stockist??
I'll definitely be picking this up. It's a no brainer.

Caleb
Ordered.
Next day fedex is $15 on the order?
All shipping options are the same price.
Nevermind, they emailed me, said it was a site error.
Have to agree about some of Sankeys latest stuff being duds, but also have to admit he has a lot of gems amongst the volumes of stuff he has produced. I think these books will definitely be an addition to my personal library of magic books.
Are the publishers offering a complete list of what is in each book? That would be much more useful than the rather vague descriptions in their advertisement.

Have I simply missed such a list on their site somewhere?
My order for collector's edition is in. Looks like a great project
My orders in
This is a monster collection. I like that they added a dvd of some of his classics.
FYI, if you order from Sankey's site he'll personally autograph the books for you. I'm guessing it's different, but can anyone verify that the extra DVD in the deluxe set is different than the original and not simply a copy?
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 21:38, Chris Aguilar wrote:
Are the publishers offering a complete list of what is in each book? That would be much more useful than the rather vague descriptions in their advertisement.

[/quote]

I think the reason they didn't list it is because there's over 500 effects. But if you look on the demo video, it flashes a bunch of the effects.
With 500 effects, I'll get 10+ that I can use (and probably 490 filler effects. It IS Sankey after all!). So that's $15 an effect, which was worth the overall cost.
According to Vanishing, the weeded out all the filler effects. So hopefully this will be the best of the best.
[quote]
On 2012-07-11 10:31, link8822 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I think the reason they didn't list it is because there's over 500 effects. But if you look on the demo video, it flashes a bunch of the effects.
[/quote]

In this age of computers, a list of 500 is nothing.

The publishers already have the information electronically I'm sure. Why not share that so people can make informed buying decisions?

If I went by the very scant information currently offered (or flashed at you for a millisecond), even as a Sankey fan, I'd tend to be wary. Because frankly, the effects that are being used to advertise are ones that I tend to already have (or have purchased multiple time already in alternative formats).
I so can't wait to get this, I didn't realize it was a trilogy.
I'm only buying it if it includes bending the real !
O ye and packaged in a Big Ass Box, no jiffy bags for me.
I think they have been very open that this is a "best of" collection of Sankey material. While there appears to be a few new effects, the vast majority are old. We've all got tons of Sankey material already. (i have 10 dvds at least). But the idea is to cull all the best material into one source so all the gems are collected in one spot without the need to pour through a ton of dvds (most of which are filler) to find a trick you are looking for. So if you are the rare person that has little or no Sankey material, this seems like a no-brainer. If you are like me and have too much sankey material and don't want to sit through the sometimes painful dvds again, this is the way to have everything you would ever need in one easily searchable spot. So I'm not sure why listing the full table of contents should matter to anyone.
I agree with Chris.There was a table of contents with the last,great book by John G. so one with the Sankey book's really could sway
me.Overseas postage on these books will be huge.Come on boys at Vanishing inc!
I have bitten the bullet and placed my order.
$50 postage to Australia adding 33% to the cost but should be worth it.
Ordered via Sankey's site - may as well have signed copies :)
But you can get copies signed by all three involved - Sankey as well as the publishers Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin - if you buy the limited collectors edition from Vanishing Inc!
Just so you don't get your hopes up Jay says the copies are "signed". I'm not sure if that means that is is a photo copy or what. The extra DVD and page from his notebook seems pretty sweet though :)
[quote]
On 2012-07-11 13:37, Chris Aguilar wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-11 10:31, link8822 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In this age of computers, a list of 500 is nothing.

The publishers already have the information electronically I'm sure. Why not share that so people can make informed buying decisions?

If I went by the very scant information currently offered (or flashed at you for a millisecond), even as a Sankey fan, I'd tend to be wary. Because frankly, the effects that are being used to advertise are ones that I tend to already have (or have purchased multiple time already in alternative formats).
[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion, but what I meant was that listing all 500 effects would create a messy cluttered description of the product. It should be expected that there's gonna be some repeats in what you already have, but like eric myers (emeyers99) said, it's great to have a reference book of all Sankey's work. I know I've spent a lot of time looking for that one trick because I forgot which DVD it was on. The framing of having the effects in a book is different too, in that it allows you to reread certain parts much easier than say rewinding in a DVD. They also mentioned that there's a decent amount of never before released Sankey effects that he's been holding back until now. But anyway, I'd be glad to list the table of contents once I received my copy to help in your decision.

Cheers,
-Steve
[quote]
On 2012-07-12 18:09, goatears wrote:
Just so you don't get your hopes up Jay says the copies are "signed". I'm not sure if that means that is is a photo copy or what. The extra DVD and page from his notebook seems pretty sweet though :)
[/quote]

If you ordered them directly from his site, they're personally signed to you. :) The ones from vanishing Inc are not.

And in case anyone was wondering, I found out the answer to my previous question: the extra DVD is not simply a copy. It's a different, additional DVD of the "best of" material.
When is this actually shipping out?
But the Collector's editions seem at the moment to be only obtainable from the publishers Vanishing Inc. so it's very much a trade-off: personally signed opines by Jay himself versus more generic signatures on a limited edition set. Rather a dilemma for some!
July 20
[quote]
On 2012-07-13 07:29, magicbern wrote:
But the Collector's editions seem at the moment to be only obtainable from the publishers Vanishing Inc. so it's very much a trade-off: personally signed opines by Jay himself versus more generic signatures on a limited edition set. Rather a dilemma for some!
[/quote]

Yea, that's what I had trouble deciding between, too. I ended up going for the limited edition, mainly because of the page from sankey's notebook & the extra DVD. I figured I'd be able to get it personally signed if/when I go to one of his lectures anyway.
Mine has now been disptached!!! woo hoo!!!
So fast? I thought official dispatch date was 20 July!
Mine too!
I contacted Vanishing Inc. The footage on the DVDs is taken from Jay's existing DVDs.
I just received my set today. To be transparent, I should say that I was a reader of this massive collection. Having said that, I can honestly say that this set is worth EVERY LAST CENT! Not only is the content incredible, but the physical quality of the books is fantastic. They must be seen and felt to be appreciated.
That's awesome, Munseys. I'm curious what the books say about tricks that involve gimmicks, like In a flash, holy moly, etc. Does it have methods for making the gimmicks or are some of the gimmicks included? (I'm sure others are wondering too)
Mine arrived in new Zealand today from vanishing inc
Off to read now yeah!!
Mine is still "awaiting dispatch". :/ You guys that already received it, did you order the deluxe version?
No just standard set
Which is amazing
Received mine now too!!! that is super quick service!!! I am in the UK, dispatched on Friday received on Tuesday! brilliant!
Great news Daren
Just thought I would let everyone know that you can now download a free sample of the book including the table of contents. Here's a link http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/free-magic-downloads/sankey-sampler/

-Brandon
Thanks for letting us know Brandon :) I downloaded the free sample amazing , I can't wait to purchase !
Still waiting for my delux set which doesn't look like it has shipped yet but the free pdf preview they released today has some killer effects. Nice gesture by Vanishing Inc.
I should have waited until Penguin had it in stock. Would have saved $15 on shipping, and gotten it around the same time.
Slowmotion coins isn't in the book it seems? That is my favorite Sankey trick!
Wow. That is surprising. That along with Back in Time and Fan Mail (greatest use of bill switch ever created) make up my top three sankey effects.
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 12:09, Erdnase27 wrote:
[/quote]

Hopefully it will be on the dvd. I'm curious what effects will be on the dvd, from what I understand its some of his best effects taken from his previous dvds.
What has killed this for me is the postage. $77 to have it sent to the UK... but I only live about 15 miles from Andi Gladwin.
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 12:36, emyers99 wrote:
Wow. That is surprising. That along with Back in Time and Fan Mail (greatest use of bill switch ever created) make up my top three sankey effects.
[/quote]

Those two are in the books, thankfully :)
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 14:09, Brandon Johnson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Hopefully it will be on the dvd. I'm curious what effects will be on the dvd, from what I understand its some of his best effects taken from his previous dvds.
[/quote]My understanding was that the DVDs would be made up of the tricks that are in the books.
Went ahead and ordered the deluxe edition - don't usually do that, but this promises to be a goldmine legacy of one of magic's most creative inventors. So what's an extra $100 for a lifetime resource and a piece of history?
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 23:18, motown wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 14:09, Brandon Johnson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]My understanding was that the DVDs would be made up of the tricks that are in the books.
[/quote]

You may be correct, I'm not sure. For some reason I assumed that the effects on the DVDs would be things not found within the books. Looking back I couldn't find any info to support the idea that the effects on the DVDs where different than those in the books so you are probably right.
Sooo , slowmotion coins isn't in the book nor the DVD? I always thought (and more people with me) that that's one of the best Sankey effects! Thankfully, there are plenty more great routines to perform! I can't wait to receive them !
[quote]
On 2012-07-21 18:57, Phil J. wrote:
What has killed this for me is the postage. $77 to have it sent to the UK... but I only live about 15 miles from Andi Gladwin.
[/quote]

I would say: PM or mail Andi and tell him you would love to have a copy of the books. Maybe he has some for you to pick up?
[quote]
On 2012-07-22 06:58, Erdnase27 wrote:
Sooo , slowmotion coins isn't in the book nor the DVD? I always thought (and more people with me) that that's one of the best Sankey effects! Thankfully, there are plenty more great routines to perform! I can't wait to receive them !
[/quote]Dose the price of magic made in the US, but sold in a UK/Euro magic shop go up in price because of the VAT?
Sometimes from release to release an effect will end up with a different name. Possibly Slowmotion Coins will be in the book. Where is it
published elsewhere?
Front Row Sankey :)
On another DVD there was another version of the routine, but then with an openly exposure of the wristwatch vanish? Maybe that one is in the book?
[quote]
On 2012-07-22 10:52, motown wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-22 06:58, Erdnase27 wrote:
[/quote]Dose the price of magic made in the US, but sold in a UK/Euro magic shop go up in price because of the VAT?
[/quote]

Shipping costs most of the time.
Received the promo email from Vanishing today, looks really great this.

As for UK/Europe shipping it really depends on how many copies the magic shop orders, because if they can get the shipping costs down, and perhaps get a rebate for volume, then their total prize can be competitive to a ship-from-US-with-shippping cost.

I'm new to the magic world, but this does seem like a no brainer, doesn't it? My advantage is that I don't have anything old by Sankey in my dungeon... :P
[quote]
On 2012-07-22 10:52, motown wrote:
Dose the price of magic made in the US, but sold in a UK/Euro magic shop go up in price because of the VAT?
[/quote]

All magic dealers in the UK have to charge VAT (currently 20%) to customers within Europe. There is no VAT on books, though, so magic books are free of VAT. But books that come with a DVD are NOT officially excluded from VAT, in the same way that there is VAT on ebooks but not printed books.
[quote]
[/quote]

Hello! I'm not sure which Phil you are, and whether we know each other! But remember that you're talking about a set of books that are almost certainly the biggest magic books to be released at any one time. As those who have received them already will testify; they're [i]massive![/i] We don't make a profit from shipping (in the case of the Sankey books, we subsidise the shipping), so the costs are simply because the books are so big.

We print and store our books in the USA (California), so your books aren't being shipped fifteen miles, but almost four thousand miles! In fact, I only have one set at my house: my personal set ... and I'm holding onto that set very tightly!

Best

--Andi
Put order in, although it's only preorder I really look forward to get this in my hand ... so sweet!
I ordered the deluxe set literally 5 minutes after the initial email went out and mine still haven't shipped. Frustrating....even though I've already got a ton of sankey material on dvd.
[quote]
On 2012-07-23 08:51, AndiGladwin wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Hello! I'm not sure which Phil you are, and whether we know each other! But remember that you're talking about a set of books that are almost certainly the biggest magic books to be released at any one time. As those who have received them already will testify; they're [i]massive![/i] We don't make a profit from shipping (in the case of the Sankey books, we subsidise the shipping), so the costs are simply because the books are so big.

We print and store our books in the USA (California), so your books aren't being shipped fifteen miles, but almost four thousand miles! In fact, I only have one set at my house: my personal set ... and I'm holding onto that set very tightly!

Best

--Andi
[/quote]Perhaps these books will be sold by some UK dealers, the same way they're being sold by other dealers in the US and he can avoid the shipping costs.

Even a flat rate postal box that can handle upto 20LBS costs $61 to the UK.
[quote]
On 2012-07-15 08:54, link8822 wrote:
That's awesome, Munseys. I'm curious what the books say about tricks that involve gimmicks, like In a flash, holy moly, etc. Does it have methods for making the gimmicks or are some of the gimmicks included? (I'm sure others are wondering too)
[/quote]

I'm wondering this too.
-Durgy
[quote]

[/quote]

A list of all the tricks are available in the free "Sankey Sampler' pdf from VanishingInc. It's got a table of contents for all 3 volumes.
Link8822 and Durgy,

I am very sorry for the delay in my reply. I simple missed Link8822's question. For the sorts of Sankey effects that require a gimmick that can't be made at home, the authors indicate where the gimmicks can be purchased (i.e. through Sankey himself or a local magic dealer). To be clear, the VAST majority of the effects in this book do NOT require gimmicks that must be pruchased.

Best Wishes
Anyone get their deluxe set yet?
[quote]
On 2012-07-25 15:10, emyers99 wrote:
Anyone get their deluxe set yet?
[/quote]

I haven't, on the website it shows the regular edition in stock but the deluxe has an expected shipping date for the 27th.
WOW!! Got the regular edition today. Giant books think Lorayne's Apocalypse size. Can't wait to dig into them.Bbeen thinking about and looking for books on close-up magic These are it. Mr Gladwin and Mr Jay have hit this one out of the ball park.

Best
Leo Jr
Leo is right about the size of the books. Think "high school history text book" (except far more interesting).
LOL ... "High School History Books" ... My word, if I had this in high school my life would have been very different ... ;)
I just got a notification of it having been shipped ... now we're down to waiting!
I get mine thursday!!! :) Can hardly wait :D
I also got notice yesterday that Vanishing Inc have sent the Definitve Sankey - Collectors Edition. So I should be getting it within 10-12 days depending on clearing Customs! Looking forward tremendously to the release - thanks again for the generous 46- pace PDF sampler. For many, that may have been the deciding factor - but for me I am unabashedly a Sankey fan and so preordered immediately. Yes, not everything he puts out works in the real world - but with a bit of tweaking, the vast majority do. Also, all of them are based on a creative genius many of us wished we had. Bravo Jay Snakey and bravo too to Josh and Andi for having the vision and fortitude to bring it to fruition.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 1, 2012 06:41AM)
So...where is the cheapest place to get this including shipping for US & UK? I think that is what everyone who hasn't got this wants to know
`buuh my set is not coming on thursday but on friday :(
Let us know when it's arrived Erdnase27 ...
I just got my Definitive Sankey Collector's edition. The page from his notes was a printed out list of effect titles with some scribbling on it & a semi-scribbled out phone number of someone named 'Greg'.

For those wondering, the Collector's edition book are actually black, not grayish like the picture on the website. But the edges of the pages are yellow, blue, & green. They're about the same size & feel as Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment Books, but smoother (texture-wise) pages. I haven't delved into reading them yet or watching the DVD, but if anyone has Qs, let me know. :)

-Steve
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 07:41, Christopher Williams wrote:
So...where is the cheapest place to get this including shipping for US & UK? I think that is what everyone who hasn't got this wants to know
[/quote]

Cheapest for US is probably Penguin Magic. As they don't charge for shipping. Without shipping the cheapest I've found in the UK is 99.50 at http://www.magicianfx.co.uk but their out of stock. worldmagicshop.com has them for 100.00 without shipping charges.
Sounds like high quality printing link8822, which is something I definately appreciate.

As for the page from the notes, I'm not really sure what to say. It seems like a weird thing to include, and I'm slightly unsure about the value. Seems like an afterthought, I mean, if the manuscript really has value wouldn't it be better to keep it together and perhaps use it for a collection in a museum or something?

Either way, this is going to be great, and I hope it arrives NOW! haha ;)
Haha, yea, I bet the pages would make a lot more sense if they're kept together. I suppose it could also be good rappor if you see Sankey in person, like at a lecture.
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 18:07, link8822 wrote:
I just got my Definitive Sankey Collector's edition. The page from his notes was a printed out list of effect titles with some scribbling on it & a semi-scribbled out phone number of someone named 'Greg'.

For those wondering, the Collector's edition book are actually black, not grayish like the picture on the website. But the edges of the pages are yellow, blue, & green. They're about the same size & feel as Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment Books, but smoother (texture-wise) pages. I haven't delved into reading them yet or watching the DVD, but if anyone has Qs, let me know. :)

-Steve
[/quote]

I think you've got to call that number.
Received my Collector's Edition yesterday, and all I can say is "wow." What an amazing set. Everything is organized logically by topic - impromptu cards; almost impromptu cards; essential sleights; an entire chapter on Paperclipped and its variations; selections from Beyond Secrets; and chapters on Torn and Restored Card, Close-Up Mentalism, Finger Rings, Body Magic, Wipe Clean Principle, Ambitious Card, Rubber Bands, Bill Switch, Close-Up Magic, Coin Sleights, Flash Paper, Business Cards, Magic for Children, Coin Productions, essays on magic theory, etc. And that's only the first of three volumes.

The font is large and very readable, there are tons of photos, the difficulty of each effect is clearly demarcated at the beginning of each explanation, Sankey cartoons are sprinkled throughout, and notations are made when any particular effect made it onto the "top ten Sankey effects" lists of other notable magicians. There are also cites to the original source for each effect, including DVD's, lecture notes and the Kaufman books. Some material has never been published. The first volume is over 500 pages and includes a full index in addition to the thorough table of contents.

The "notes page" I received as part of the collector's edition (in addition to the fine binding, slipcase, extra DVD and signatures of Sankey, Gladwin and Jay) includes the entire description for "Locked Out," sketched out in five steps in black ink on a 7" x 6" sheet of paper.

I've only read the first 50 pages, but can say that the writing style is impeccable. No typos. Each description is thorough and seems to subscribe to the writing truism, "it's not enough to write so you can be understood - you must write so you cannot be misunderstood." If all magic books followed that simple rule, there would be no need for DVDs. But they don't. This one does.

Excellent job by everyone involved. This set of books is a terrific bargain, particularly when you consider that individual volumes by other authors have recently sold for upwards of $250.

Even if (maybe especially if) you have an extensive Sankey collection, you'll appreciate the organization and "quality filter" this set applies to the Sankey oeuvre. There's enough gold in these books to keep anyone busy for years.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 23:08, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Each description is thorough and seems to subscribe to the writing truism, "it's not enough to write so you can be understood - you must write so you cannot be misunderstood." If all magic books followed that simple rule, there would be no need for DVDs. But they don't. This one does.
[/quote]

Good review, thanks.

It surprises me how few people understand the value of editing (and indeed, an editor). Having grammar, typos, explanations, organisation of the material, etc. etc. checked and double checked increases the value of the book, and it is surprising that a lot of people do not take it as seriously as it deserves. That alone can move a book from a mediocre book to a great book.

Fortunately magic books are not as bad as a lot of poker books, where a lot of people like Doyle Brunson for example, being proud of not using anyone to help them with such things ... Anyhow, good point, and a good review. Thanks!

/Stromberg
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 08:22, Stromberg wrote:
Let us know when it's arrived Erdnase27 ...
[/quote]
it just arrived.

Wow.. these volumes are huge, the quality of the pages and the coloring is just super. This is going to take years to digest and study. Highly recommended and I didn't even start reading :)
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 09:43, bugjack wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 18:07, link8822 wrote:

-Steve
[/quote]

I think you've got to call that number.
[/quote]

Yeah, hehe, I've been thinking of calling it...makes me very curious who it is.
I don't often come on here to post reviews, but by the time I came back to this thread, I felt that MaxfieldsMagic had already written what I would write. I just want to add my agreement to all of his words on this set. I am so glad I purchased this.
+1. Received the set today and it is excellent. The DVD production isn't the best as it is merely a collection of old stuff. However, some of the extras in the collectors DVD was good fun.

The books, binding, structure etc. did a great job as previously mentioned, and the quality is outstanding. Great cudos to the authors, editors and production staff of this little gem!
What is on the Collector's DVD?

thanks,
Am at work at the moment, will make a list when I get home tonight (if noone else beats me to it). ;)
Here's a rundown of the Collectors Edt DVD:

It has mostly tricks and explantion as the normal DVD and the tricks are:

Holy Moly
Joking Around
Slick Splits
Stirring Silver
Forgery
Mercuring
Reception
Belly of the Beast (filmed in bathroom)
Leaving Home
Mexican Jumping Coins

But in addition to this there is a wonderful collection under the heading:

Sankey Archives and from the archives you get:
- Bedtime story about a dentist without teeth.
- Stand Up
- Spoken Art / Contents under pressure
- Key through string and shoe shop
- Cartoon slides
- Japanese TV act
- Stand up (some songs).

For me it is really this last part that is the best, there's some wonderful gags here and you get a good feeling of Sankey as a performer. It is simply brilliant. Yes of course, it is pretty funny he performs "Belly of the Beast" in a toilet, but still, it really is a wonderful little collection.

Hope it helps. :)
Very excited - just ordered my copy today and I can't wait to start learning!
I started a thread about the "top ten" effects from the Definitive Sankey here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=479538&forum=110&0
Received the set today Looking Forward To Going through it
Here is the index for the new Sankey books. Get comfortable, this is long:

The Definitive Sankey – Volume 1

Contents:

007 Acknowledgements
009 The Top Ten
010 How to Read This Book
023 Introduction

029 Sankey Essentials
031 – Double Turnover
033 – Mercury Card Fold
035 – Tilt
037 – Erdnase Color Change
039 – Vernon Stripout Addition
041 – Hofzinser Spread Cull
043 – Hofzinser Spread Force
044 – Flushtration Count
045 – Crossing the Gaze Switch
046 – Twirl Change
047 – Optical Monte Switch
048 - Riffle Force
049 – Double Undercut
051 – Slip Cut
052 – Necktie Second Deal
053 – BoTop Change
054 – Attitude Pocket Switch
055 – Cross Cut Force
056 – EYE Count
057 – Slop Shuffle
058 – HaLo Cut
059 – Tenkai Optical Revolve
060 – Marlo/Schulien Box Load
061 – Topper
063 - Kaps Subtlety
064 – Himber Vanish
066 – Striking Vanish
067 – Gallo Pitch
069 – Pop-Up Move
070 – Friction Pass
071 – Bobo Switch
072 – Two-Way Toss

073 Cards & Props Part 1
075 – Airtight
078 – Airtighter
079 – Through & Through
081 – Nailed
083 – Paper Cloud
085 – Bladerunner
087 – Drop Zone
088 – Special Delivery
090 – Chain Gang
093 – Clearly Impossible Transposition
095 – Madelaine’s Mystery

097 Sankey on Creativity

103 Torn & Restored Card
105 – The Cardboard Contortionists
110 – Transfixed
112 – Missing Evidence
115 – T-Bone
118 – Autopsy
120 – Papercut
122 – Belly of the Beast
124 – De-Crease
127 – Piece De Resistance
129 – Green Thumb
130 – Porous
132 – Price of Admission

135 Jay Sankey: In His Words

145 Close-up Mentalism Part 1
147 – Prediction Impossible
149 – Memory Lapse
151 – Onion
153 – A Very Good Year
154 – Undeclared Income
155 – Perfect Timing
157 – Colorblind
159 – The Pagemaster
162 – Printed Matters

163 Finger Rings
165 – Ring-a-Ding
166 – Ring Around the Collar
167 – Mercuring
170 – Hellbent
172 – To the Point
174 – Inside Job
176 – Stretching It
177 – Tying the Knot
179 – Under the Influence

183 Body Magic
185 – Shadowlands
087 – Eye Popper
188 – Twinkle Toes

191 Paperclipped
093 – The Full View Switch
095 – Paperclipped
197 The Appearing Prediction
198 – Four Disguises
200 – Paperclipped Premonition
202 – Dollars and Cents
204 – Mona Lisa
206 – Full Lotus
207 – Switchless
209 – Sympathetic PC
212 – Closing Time
213 – Serial Killer
214 – Non-Existent

217 Essay: Concerning Magic as an Art Form

221 Wipe Clean Principle
223 – Wipe Clean Principle
225 – Wipe Flash
226 – Wipe Clean Principle With Cards
228 – Fact or Friction
229 – The Phoenix Effect

231 Ambitious Card Part 1
233 – A Not So Humble Beginning
234 – Splat Production
236 – Rubber Room Rise
239 – Face-up Finale
240 – Compact Closer
241 – Leather Bound

243 Rubber Bands
245 Sure-Shot Vanish
246 – Simple Division
248 – Dark Powers
249 – Heat of the Moment

253 Essay: Are Laymen Qualified Judges?

257 Bill Switch Part 1
259 – The Bill Change
262 – Real Magic
263 - $0 Bill Switch
264 – Traveling Expenses
265 – Genuine Counterfeit
267 – Strange and Stranger
268 – Public Assembly
269 – Double Feature
271 – Strong Medicine

273 Close-up Magic Part 1
275 – Descendent
277 – Bingo
279 – The Cups Runneth Over
290 – Hot Tomato
291 – Bouncing Baby
292 – Air of Mystery
294 – Seeing Red
296 – Glass in Steel
297 – Extended Credit
299 – Pulling the Wool
301 – Choice Change
303 – Jagged

305 Coin Sleights
307 – Flying Shuttle Pass
309 – Downs Palm Finesse
313 – Bangkok Vanish
315 – Pointing Transfer
317 – Sankey/Himber Count
318 – Wave Load
319 – Motion Change
321 – Messiah Vanish
324 – Merlin Vanish
326 – Newton Drop
327 – Drop Switch
328 – Hypnovanish

333 Flash Paper
335 – In a Flash
338 – Signed, Singed & Delivered
341 – Tracking Device
343 – Heist
344 – Revelation of a Card
346 – Unmixed
347 – Transitions
348 – Firefly
349 – Meltdown
350 – Blaze of Glory
351 – The Almost-Human Cannonball
353 – Down in Flames
354 – Flash Mob

357 Business Cards
359 – Stop Sign
360 – Picture Perfect
361 – Scrawly
362 – Constellation
364 – Perfect Read
366 – Power Lunch
370 – Time Sensitive
372 – Creepy Crawlers
373 – X-Ray Vision
375 – Reception
378 – Change in Direction
381 – The Window Trick

385 Impromptu Card Magic Part 1
387 – Back in Time
389 – Solitary Confinement
390 – Proximity
392 – Group Hypnosis
395 – Solo
397 – Amateur vs. Professional
399 – Three Times Lucky
400 – Bodyguards
401 – A Fold in Time
403 – The Switch Places Aces
405 – Only in Self Defense
406 – Maximum Capacity
408 – 180

411 Magic For Children
413 – Yo-Yo Mon
415 – Circumference
416 – Hot Wax
418 – Chocolate Bar Prediction
420 – Wrap It Up
421 – Ear to Eternity
422 – Instant Origami

423 Coin Productions
425 – Slick Splits
427 – Cartesian Coins
430 – Silver Lining
431 – Thin Air Production
433 – Invisible Piano Production
434 – Bread & Butter Production

437 Almost-Impromptu Card Magic Part 1
437 – On Impulse
441 – Twice as Nice
442 – Head Spin
443 – From Behind
445 – Deviant Behavior
446 – Splitsville
447 – Good Vibrations
449 – Selective Memory
450 – Nomad

453 Beyond Secrets Part 1
455 – Preface
456 – A Dance of Glances
457 – Is Magic an Art?
458 – Begin by Connecting
459 – The Myth of Speed
460 – Incomprehensibility
461 – Magic as Blood Sport
463 – Orchestrating Focus
464 – What is your Market?
467 – The Anatomy of an Effect
468 – Intimate Scripts
470 – What is the Method?
471 – If I Were a Real Magician
472 – A Little Experiment
474 – Key Images
475 – Learning a Sleight
476 – An Actor Playing the Part
477 – Wonder Without Secrecy
478 – Creating Magic
480 – Wonder and Emotion
481 – How Did You Do That?
482 – Any Effect is Possible
483 – Cynicism, Confusion and Ego
485 – For My Next Trick
487 – Audience Feedback
488 – The Opposite of Magic
489 – Simplicity
490 – The Emotional Camera
491 – The Imperfect Theory
492 – The Approach
494 – Inspiring Humility
495 – The Wonder of Wit
497 – Classic Audience Members

501 Index

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Definitive Sankey – Volume 2

Contents: (page numbering continues from volume 1)

526 How to Read This Book
539 A Trick Question

543 Keys
545 – Leaving Home
548 – In Vitro
550 – True Believer
551 – Soft Spot
552 – Sensations
554 – Off and On
556 – Spookey
558 – Killer Key
560 – Key Deposit
562 – Heavy Metal Vanish
563 – Twister

567 On the Erdnase Color Change
569 – Fragile Harbor
571 – Joking Around
574 – Scrunch
575 – Questionable
577 – I.Q. Test
579 – Locomotion
580 – Imposters
582 – Transient
585 – Hypnotorized
587 – Satan’s Card

589 Restaurant Magic
593 – Stirring Silver
597 – Sweet Bread
598 – Break and Entry
599 – Two for the Spice of One
601 – Assault with a Deadly Weapon
603 – Heated Exchange
605 – Sweet Surprise
607 – Freezer Burn
608 – Numb
610 – The Gathering
611 – Sugar Rush
612 – Marrow
614 – Xtreme

619 Situational Magic
621 – Hustler
622 – Best Before
624 – Breaking the Habit
627 – How Fortunate
629 – Gifted
632 – Wacky Tabacky
633 – Slay Bells
634 – Duet
637 – Mute
639 – Happy Birthday
640 – Blown Away
642 – Kick Butt
644 – Paper Mβchι
645 - Shaft

651 Essay: Concerning the Volatile Issue of Exposure

659 Impromptu Card Magic Part 2
661 – Count On It
662 – Revolution Aces
664 – Midnight Special
665 – Against All Odds
667 – Vital Statistics
668 – Departure Time
670 – Double Trouble
671 – Helter Skelter
672 – Geller Card
673 – Collect Me Not… Again!
675 – Apparition
676 – Flutter Change

683 Stage Mentalism
685 – Seer
687 – Director’s Cut
690 – Alphamail
692 – Painkiller
694 – Child’s Play
696 – Ghost

699 Ambitious Card Part 2
701 – Top Card
702 – Hammered Deception
704 – Up and Out
706 – One Last Time
708 – Fishbowl
710 – Bit By Bit
713 – Magnetic
715 – Lightning Bolt
717 – Single Ambition

719 Essay: Concerning the Term “Magic”

723 Mealtime Magic
725 – Re:Cap
727 – Amphibian
728 – Bender
730 – Broken English
732 – A Balancing Act
734 – Hot Knife
735 – Uppity

737 Drawing on Cards
739 – Forgery
741 – Squiggle
743 – Ground Zero
746 – Snowstorm
748 – Guaranteed
749 – One of One
751 – Coroner’s Transposition
752 - Graffiti

755 Coin Routines Part 1
757 – Spinner
759 – Reversal of Fortune
761 – Prime Time Bend
763 – Wrapture
765 – Secret Passages
767 – No Jacket Required
769 – Flesh Pocket
770 – Ups and Downs
772 – Symbolic

773 Cards & Props Part 2
775 – Uniquely
778 – Backspin Special
780 - $100 Top Change
782 – Trio
785 – Economic Risk
787 – Pipsqueak
788 – Entranced
790 – The World’s Smallest Magic Wand
792 – Bounty Hunter

793 Coins and Props
795 – Recurrency
797 – Collector’s Item
799 – Strike Three
801 – Stand-up Twilight
804 – Penny Ante
806 – Pawnbroker
808 – The Wager
809 – Java Transpo
810 – Another Dimension

811 Close-up Mentalism Part 2
813 – Past, Present and Future
815 – Hypersensitive
817 – Heads Up
819 – Seeing Read
822 – Choice Effect
824 – X’s & OhMyGod
827 – Four Seasons
830 – Road Rage
832 – Lottery
833 – Greed
834 – Testament

837 Bar Magic
839 – Permanent Press
841 – Forced Entry
844 – Eternity Dime
846 – Creamed
848 – Exit Strategy
852 – Cut and Restrawed
854 – Climber

857 Bar Magic
859 – Carbon Paper
860 – Walking Wounded
862 – Fed Exchange
863 – Jaw Dropper
865 – Skin Deep
867 – Where There’s Smoke
870 – Touch of Evil
872 – Was this Your Card?
873 – Partial Knowledge

875 Levitations
877 – Floater
879 – Zero Gravity

881 Invisible Deck
883 – Out of Sight
884 – X
885 – Buckshot
886 – Echo

887 Mischief
892 – Borrowed Trust
893 – Personality Test
894 – Rubber Glove
895 – Revival

897 On Mixing Magic and Comedy

901 Tenkai Pinch
903 – Tenkai Pinch Master class
908 – Waterwheel Production
910 – Drop Zone Production
912 – Corkscrew Vanish
913 – Airborne Vanish
914 – P. O. V. Change
916 – Capricorn Change
918 – Mr. Clean Coins Across
920 – Holy Cross
922 – Mr. Universe Coins across
924 – Found Money
926 – Sight Unseen
927 – Mineral Withdrawal

931 Essay: The Danger of Pragmatism

935 Gimmicked Cards Part 1
937 – Lockdown
939 – Bigger Finish
941 – Split Ends
943 – State of the Union
945 – Public Transit
948 – Terra Unfirma
951 – Hole Hop
953 – Threadbare Rise
955 – TRANZ4MR
957 – The Disappearance
960 – Shift
962 – Imaginings

965 Beyond Secrets Part 2
967 – Performing New Material
969 – Rhythm
970 – Vulgar Magic
971 – Whose Magic is it?
972 – Learning from mime
973 – Truth and Credibility
974 – Minimum Effort
976 – Performer as Product
978 – What is the Magic About?
979 – Enthusiasm
980 – Fewer Words, More Magic
981 – Secrecy is Fear
983 – The Art of Practice
984 – Inside Out / Outside In
985 – Suspending Disbelief
986 – Responding
987 – Parade of Characters
989 – Mirroring
990 – Taking it Personally
992 – Multiple Climaxes
994 – Vivid Language
997 – The Natural
998 – Expressing and Communicating
999 – Suspicion
1000 – Mind Over Matter
1001 – What is a Narrative?
1002 – Magic and Mentalism
1004 – Vulnerability
1006 – Choosing a Spectator
1007 – Under and Over Proving
1008 – How Do You Feel?
1009 – Fear and the Sudden Audience
1011 – Power
1012 – The Mysterious and Humorous
1014 – Becoming a Better Magician
1015 – Control and Trust
1016 – Circuit Practicing
1017 – Purge Your Puzzles

1019 Cartoons

1037 Index

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Definitive Sankey – Volume 3

Contents: (page numbering continues from volume 2)

1062 How to Read This Book

1075 Close-up Magic Part 2
1077 – Holy Moly
1079 – Holy Stretch
1081 – Twentieth Century Fox
1084 – Bound and Tagged
1086 – Border Crossing
1088 – Chain Reaction
1090 – Three Ring Circus
1095 – Housini’s Touch
1096 – Trinity
1098 – Alchemy Seltzer
1099 – Earplugs
1100 – Hot Knot

1103 Essay: Magician, Reveal Thyself

1105 Magic with Bills
1107 – Global Warming
1109 – Trial Separation
1111 – Mismade Monopoly
1113 – Collateral Damage
1114 – Dough
1116 – East Meets West
1118 – Identifying Features
1120 – Spiral
1122 – Space Ship
1123 The Company One Keeps
1125 – Seventy-Five Percent
1126 – Bill Fusion
1129 – Unscrewed

1131 Cards & Props Part 3
1133 – Voodoo
1135 – Montreal Transpo
1137 – Op Bones
1139 – Blockbuster
1143 – In a Bind
1145 – What If?
1147 – Big Time
1149 – Juicy Fruit
1151 – Forbidden Fruit
1153 – Diamonds in the Rough
1154 – Drawing to a Close

1157 Matches
1159 – Chameleon
1164 – Vital Signs
1165 – Reunited
1166 – Burning Down
1167 – Black Market
1168 – Quest for Fire
1170 – Perennial
1173 – A Match by Any Other Name
1175 – Snatchbook
1176 – Metamorph
1178 – Gimme Five
1180 – Maaaatchbox

1183 Cards and Bands
1185 – Pyramid
1186 – Outsider
1188 – Definitely Warped
1193 – Wild Thing
1196 – Elastic Infiltration
1198 – Please Don’t Feed the Playing Cards
1201 – Temporal Elasticity
1203 – Babylon Band
1205 – One for Fifty-One!
1209 – Somerassault
1210 – Underbanded

1211 Pens
1213 – The Pen is Mightier
1215 – Cappy Cap Cap Cappity Cappero Cap Trick
1216 – Remarkerable
1217 – Where Did That, the Marker, Come From?
1219 – Marked Down
1221 – Vanishink
1224 – Cap in Hand
1225 – Black Magic
1226 – Family Tree

1229 Coin Routines Part 2
1231 – Inside Out
1232 – Turn of the Century
1234 – The Odd Coin
1235 – Fifth Quarter
1237 – The Visible Coin Assembly
1240 – Underfoot
1241 – Through Thick and Thin
1243 – Mass Consumption

1245 Card Box Trickery
1247 – In Case of Emergency
1248 – Reenactment
1249 – Final Fusion
1250 – Housebound
1252 – A Case of Mistaken Identity
1254 – Haunted Card Case
1256 – The Folding Deck
1258 – Untorn
1260 – Penalty Box
1262 – Nosferatu
1265 – Inside Out (Card Trick)

1269 Han Ping Chien
1271 – Chien Ping Han
1273 – Rollover
1274 – H. P. C.–C. P. H.
1276 – Under Wraps
1278 – Snatch Production
1279 – Silver Snatch
1281 – The Copper Clutch
1283 – Royal Rivet
1285 – Push Button
1288 – Seed Money

1291 Playing Card Mentalism
1293 – Hide, Keep and Give Away
1295 – Third Eye
1297 – Photo Finish
1300 – Laying on of Hands
1302 – Witching Hour
1303 – Secrets

1305 Packet Tricks
1307 – Resistance is Futile
1309 – Dreamscape
1310 – About Face
1313 – Casualties of War

1315 Coins Across
1317 – Mexican Jumping Coins
1320 – Sound for Thought
1323 – New Arrivals
1324 – Bridging the Gap

1329 Card Sleights
1331 – Wichita Slip
1333 – Toss Twirl
1334 – Face-Up Rub-a-Dub Vanish
1336 – Surfboard Change
1338 – Flick Production
1339 – The Sleeves Up Pass
1341 – The Turnover Force
1342 – Shanghai Change

1343 Bill Switch Part 2
1345 – Dye Job
1346 – Pop!
1347 – Fan Mail
1348 – Found in Translation
1349 – Geller
1350 – Realization
1351 – Eye Witness
1353 – Paging Ben Franklin
1355 – A Medley of Bill Switch Ideas

1357 Not-So-Impromptu Card Magic
1359 – Supercool
1362 – In Captivity
1364 – Mix Master
1367 – Final Countdown
1369 – Parallel Worlds
1371 – Remote Control
1372 – Sankey Panky Meltdown

1373 Coins & Props Part 2
1375 – Golden Treasure
1378 – No Way Out
1380 – Tunnel Vision
1382 – Time is Money
1384 – Change Under Pressure
1386 – Making Change
1387 – Monty Hall Goes Close-Up
1390 – Smashed!
1393 – Jam Session

1395 Firestarters
1397 – Destiny
1398 – V. I. P. (Very Intimate Prediction)
1400 – Hotlink
1402 – Under the Table
1403 – Eye2Eye
1404 – Guiding Rhythm
1405 – Soul Mates
1407 – Flower Power
1408 – Wholehearted
1410 – Kinky

1411 Gimmicked Decks
1413 – Close Contact
1414 – Measles
1417 – The Blackpool Effect
1418 – Yes and No
1420 – The Blues
1422 – Confession
1424 – Fade Away
1426 – The Genesis Prediction
1429 – Once in a Lifetime
1431 – Practice Pack
1434 – Blind Man’s Bluff
1435 – Wham Bam!
1436 – What’s in a Name?
1437 – Out of Control

1439 Sankey Utilities
1441 – Omnilope
1445 – Nest Egg
1447 – Pandora’s Box
1449 – Fort Knox
1451 – 99
1453 – Matchbox Mentalism
1454 – Purse Vanish
1455 – Last Coin Trick
1456 – Gemini Pouch

1459 Gimmicked Cards Part 2
1461 – Inseparable
1463 – Open Sesame
1465 – Spanish Inquisition
1468 – R. E. M.
1469 – Misguided Angels
1472 – Reconstruction
1475 – Uberchange
1478 – Extended Version
1479 – Mason’s Aces

1483 Gimmicked Coins
1485 – Two-Fisted Vanish
1487 – The Four Dimensional Coin
1489 – Half a Coin Trick
1490 – Razor’s Edge

1493 Beyond Secrets Part 3
1493 – Magician, Clown, Priest
1496 – Which Direction?
1497 – Magic And The Magical
1499 – Sanding
1500 – Those Who Will Resist
1502 – Let The Audience Lead
1504 – In The Blink Of An Eye
1506 – The Master Imagined
1507 – Secrets, Understanding & Wonder
1508 – Is There Such A Thing As A Bad Trick?
1509 – Articulate Hands
1511 – The Best teacher
1513 – Random Acts Of Magic
1514 – Self-Expression
1515 – Stick To Your Weaknesses
1516 – Creative Promotion
1518 – Reminder And Promise
1520 – Choosing Material
1521 – The Play’s The Thing
1522 – In Search Of Real Magic
1523 – Encouraging Co-Creation
1525 – Knowing And Forgetting
1526 – Exposure, Appreciation And Education
1527 – Clothing
1528 – Magician vs. Entertainer
1529 – Tension, Expectation and Release
1531 – An Invitation to Wonder
1532 – Larger Truths
1533 – All Of You
1534 – Unpresentations
1535 – Ending
1536 – Re: Creation
1538 – It Takes Time
1539 – A New Magic
1541 – Effects Only Happen In The Past
1543 – The Love Of Magic

1545 Jay Sankey: The Complete Bibliography

1589 Index
You can download a free pdf sampler from the book on Penguin:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2775
Ordered mine today, I'm lucky to have a great local shop who will special order from the US for me. Just bad luck its labour day on Mon so I have to wait an extra day till Thursday. I feel a bit like a 10 year old the week before Christmas.
Has anyone else noticed that the pictures for stirring silver seem to be backwards from the traditional handling for the first phase? Interestingly, the actual words can be interpreted to be either handling depending on your frame of reference for what's top/bottom. Perhaps a tribute to Erdnase or Sankey's thoughts of the importance on framing?
There is an interesting thread here where people have posted there 'Top Ten' effects from these books. I put my list up over there as well...

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=479538&forum=110&13
Best magic purchase of my life, an unbeatable source of amazing material imo!
Oh man, I gotta have it!!! Going out of my gourd just thinking about it!
The thing with Sankey is, like Paul Harris, the man is so encyclopedic that your biggest problem is figuring out where to start!!! How on earth does ANY mere mortal master such a voluminous amount of material ? How does Jay himself keep all that magic knowledge in his cranium? He has got to be the most prolific magician to ever live. I have NO IDEA how he does it. But this new Definitive Sankey is definitely a monster, master work. And Joshua and everyone involved in this project have surely done the magic world a big favor, because this is obviously a labor of love.
I have no more room left on my bookshelf.

I hope these are released in electronic format soon.
I have no more room left on my bookshelf.

I hope these are released in electronic format soon.
You just ingeminated yourself. You just ingeminated yourself. Deja vu! Deja vu!
I'll be brief...

THIS IS GOLD!

-H
Wowwwww. I loved the list. Gonna order my copy right now. ( a shame that it takes an eternity to arrive). Thank a lot