(Close Window)
Topic: NFW -Still what a trick!
I have had NFW for many, many years. I have done it a lot and have put it away time and again, but always to come back to it. Why, I ask myself every time I pick it back up. Because it is simply just the perfect little packet trick. Of course there are hordes of other gems out there and to each his own as to what they like but this little trick was an absolutely stroke of genius by Gary Freed, IMHO.

The effect is compact and so easy to do but always amazing to specs. You can do it a couple of different ways but any way you do it will make people's eyes POP! It doesn't take much to do it but a few basic enough moves in card magic. It all allows you to presents it in the most interesting of all ways, as an absolutely impossible slo-mo change of 4 face-up Jokers to all face-down and then a most miraculous finale in a change to 4 Aces. This is so simplistically beautiful. And if it was the only card trick you ever did, people would surely remember you always for it. :)

Time after time, I have come to realize again and again that this is just an amazing card trick. I have tried many, with gaffs and with regular cards and there are many that are quite good and worth the effort to know and present, but NFW is just so clean IMHO and so instantly amazing that I find it hard to beat. And I'm a guy that also loves beauties like Double Back, B'wave and Dr. Daley's Last Trick. All monsters as packet tricks go and there are admittedly other noteworthies but having come back to NFW yet again in my life (And I'm more of a coin guy really), I totally get it now. It's just the best. :) So cleverly done with not all that confusing twisting and turning going on. It's clear and direct, the perfect follow-along for the specs. It's not too long and or over-engaging but just enough to lure you in, take you to the top of the the tallest building and drop you off like a rollercoaster as to such sudden amazement. :)

Just love this trick, still after all these years. What do you guys think? :)
I have to admit my ignorance here, but I am not familiar with this effect.
Would someone help me, please?

Thanks

mlippo
Mlippo, this should help:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=343155&forum=109
I agree that NFW is fantastic, especially if you learn a convincing show of the four face up Jokers. I do not like the easier "we have three face up and one face down" start. BWave, with how simple it is, is amazing if you do the eliminations in such a way as it looks like free choice.
NFW created a BIG buzz in the magic world when it cam out. It was the trick you had to have. And it didn't let you down when you bought it. And if you do Gary Freed's advanced handling, you can show all the cards face down at the beginning.

Clarke
Funny how this post showed up today...I just retrieved my NFW from the drawer and showed it to my girlfriend(the standard version where one "joker" is already turned over). It blew her away!!!
I agree, this is one of the great packet tricks available. It gets amazing reactions!
It's still my favorite packet trick, & I
perform it often ...
Have to break it out again; it IS amazing!
Great trick.
Yes, this is a great trick!

Greg
The challenge is finding a convincing way to initially display four jacks.
Glad to see that others share the love of this great packet trick too. :)

Todsky, I have yet to see anyone do this trick any better than it is presented in this video. I took the time to learn it just this way. And it's a very convincing show of the initial 4 jokers, pretty easy to do, very effective and with practice it becomes the perfect opening move to the routine. I pull it out my wallet or pocket and go into just like this. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI

To me, this handling is so well done and smooth that it's hard to beat and that's why I left well-enough alone and began doing it just this way. I hate to see people bending the cards to make the magic happen at the end, just looks awful, out of place and fishy. Tack on a poorly done Elmsley and even doing the initial count badly and it kills the intended finesse of the trick. Look at how smooth this guy in the video makes this all happen, just wonderfully done. :)

The only thing I do a bit differently is slow it down some as I don't have to finish in a hurry like in the presentation video, in :30. :) But if you can practice and do it that smoothly you will make an already great effect even greater and more rhythmically magical, IMHO. :)
Marion, that's a great video: he makes it look very clean. I will study and learn from it. Thanks!
Yeah Todsky, it really is. Like I said, I have yet to see anyone do it any better, though I have seen many do it worse. :D Every move in the presentation of that video is perfectly motivated. The reveals are logical and within the natural flow of the presentation. The patter is spot-on with the moves. The opening show of 4 Jokers looks real and though the regular implied notion that you have 4 jokers works as well, clearly it's more effective to start out showing the 4 cards face down and then actually as you say they are as 4 Jokers, is it not? :)

Funny thing is, that it's pretty easy to start that way as in the video. I guess people didn't want to belabor the moves with another count and since it all goes by pretty fast, to just say you have 4 Jokers works as well...Guess it's easier to just say and act as if you have a million dollars to a large extent than to be have to actually show it. :D

Anyway, I typically change routines as I present effects but this particular one and a very few others I have left the way I found them because the presentations were flawless to begin with. So instead of adapting the thing to me, I adapted to it and so present perfection every time I do it, IMHO. :)

I actually had the opportunity to do this trick twice at the barbershop yesterday for some people there...It absolutely blew them out their shoes! :D The effect is so easy to immediately setup & present, and the moves just flow, and specs can follow easy enough for the big pay-off of amazement at the end. One barber, no 3 of them, watched at different times and they said they were watching my hands all the way through, no way those 4 Jokers could've become 4 Aces...but they did. :D

I then did a coin trick before I left, my "ReVisiTed," which was enough along with NFW as an opener, to leave them completely in awe. :)

So, the soup is already made when it comes to this great trick as you see it in this video, nothing to add or take away, just heat & eat. :D

There are hundreds, no probably thousands of cards tricks out there and it's fun to know a few that you can do for people quite expertly. I can do several and do do others at times that are fun to present, gaffed and or un-gaffed. I typically like to do 3-5 different ones and I work on being the best I can at those. A couple with a deck and a couple of slick packet tricks you can pull out anywhere. Anywhere I go, I am happy to be able to pull out NFW (even when I don't have a deck with me), it's truly one of the very best cards tricks I have seen as validated by most people that have experienced it, either as the presenting magician or as a spectator. :)
This is a great trick, for some reason its at the back of my 'magic' drawer ! must dig it out..
[quote]
On 2012-04-19 16:17, NFW wrote:
This is a great trick, for some reason its at the back of my 'magic' drawer ! must dig it out..
[/quote]

NFW, I'm surprised NFW isn't your premiere trick! :)
You would think so ...

regards
NFW
MB, thanks for that video clip. Elmwood was the first to release this and Paul Richards, a talented Magi in his own right, does it superbly.

Clarke
Sometimes we get caught up in looking for "better" or "newer" tricks, only to realize that we already have something that can't be beat. That's NFW, when it comes to packet tricks.
I think there's an argument to be had that the simpler handling that only shows three jokers face up is the superior handling. It is, at the very least, sufficiently confounding to every last person I have performed it for.

I think it gets the spectators thinking early that there is specific connivery occurring concerning a specific card. They think they have a little of it figured out while you perform the simple trick of turning each joker over (I really sell this phase as way cooler than it is, to get them thinking I am over-performing the effect) and then you hit them with the final reveal and they have nothing. They tend to completely forget the issue they had with the initial card being face-down and are actually drawn away from it because they think something has to be up with ALL of the cards.
Sure, and as I said, the easier way with the 3 jokers works fine enough. The whole effect goes by in less than a minute either way you do it, so specs don't have a lot of time to discern much behind what they see, 3 jokers or 4 jokers. That being said, I find that the more clever handling is the show of 4 jokers to begin with, personally I love the dance of it. :) And while I've seen the implied notion of the 3 jokers as 4 (and admittedly it works well enough that most people do it that way, plus it's easier to get into the trick), I personally don't see it as "superior" and it's hard for me to believe anyone seeing it done the way in the video here showing 4 jokers, see's anything less as to the handling and presentation. Just my view of it but it's all good, basically a great trick with a couple of good ways to do it that helps any and all do it well enough to amaze. What's not to like either which way? :D

Appreciate your view of it here. :)
I usually start off displaying 4 jokers, I also do a flippant change for the third turnover.
If you like NFW, you may also want to check out Twixter by Jason Alford. More details can be found in the following thread:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=150485&forum=2]http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=150485&forum=2[/url]

This trick pre-dates NFW, but appears to be less popular because it is more difficult and requires you to source the feke cards (it was published in Magic magazine). I actually think it is a better trick.

Marty
Thanks Marty, I have seen Twixter (and love Jason Alford's stuff) and agree that it is a great trick, but a bit more to pull off for about the same amount of amazement. In this case, it seems to me that in considering this and NFW, one made the other a better way to skin-a-cat, and made everyone instantly a better cat-skinner, and cat-skinning ain't easy. :D

Found this on this:

[i]"According to Tom Stone, Mr Freed who came up with NFW after Jason [Alford] published Twixter in "Thinking and Wondering" asked him what he thought (of his minor change in the handling) and Jason answered ironically "I wish I had thought of that." This quote promptly apperaed in the ads for NFW!"[/i]

As to NFW, the rest is history as we know it. :)
Do you think it's too strong to be an opener? Been thinking about opening with this (fast, catches attention, huge WTF moment) and then going into some four ace work.
Great opener for all the reasons you just gave. It does go by fast and is guaranteed to clue specs into your magic. And yes again, great way to go into some aces work. :) It's like chicken, it goes well with everything. :)
Glad I found this thread, because I pulled my NFW out again just a few days ago and re-learned it, and am happily doing it again. So, short, so sweet, so clean, so simple. Hard to beat this one, as far as packer effects go!!

I like to load four extra jokers in my pocket, or wallet, so that after I turn the jokers into aces, I can immediately show that the jokers "magically flew into my pocket."
I agree...this effect is simply stunning!
D'oh! I said "Packer" effects! I meant to type "Packet Effects!"
I omitted the sticky stuff, and with a little bit of careful handling, I perform it without. That eliminates a lot of problems. (The sticky stuff getting in the way of your Elmsley counts, and the card picking up dirt because of the stickiness.)
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 23:12, daffydoug wrote:
I omitted the sticky stuff, and with a little bit of careful handling, I perform it without. That eliminates a lot of problems. (The sticky stuff getting in the way of your Elmsley counts, and the card picking up dirt because of the stickiness.)
[/quote]

That also eliminates the best part, the finish, where the cards are tossed singularly to the table.

FWIW
[quote]
On 2012-05-12 09:15, Stanyon wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

That also eliminates the best part, the finish, where the cards are tossed singularly to the table.

FWIW
[/quote]

If you've found a way that works better for you with this then by all means, do You. :) But I have to pretty much agree with Stanyon here... Without the "stuff" it would seem you have to be a bit too careful handling the cards especially at the end. That's why they have escalators and stairs, one moves you much more efficiently and without all the huffing & puffing once you reach the top (or once you reach the end in this case), or something like that. :)

Hey, I've gotten to do NFW several times while down here in Bermuda for a few days and man does it kill. :D Everytime out it amazes people and you get better and better at delivering it with finesse and grace. It doesn't take long, there are no really difficult moves and you deliver great magic every step of the way. I just can't think of what else you would want a small packet of cards to do any better than what NFW does for you so simply and amazingly. Again, there are other great packet effects out there for sure but not many if any, any better than this IMHO. I'm just saying'...yet again. :)

Sure makes a half decent-enough coin guy like myself look like a pretty darn good card man as well. :)
[quote]
On 2012-05-12 09:15, Stanyon wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

FWIW
[/quote]
The way I do it, I have four spare jokers loaded in my wallet or pocket. As a pseudo "explanation" of what happened to the jokers, I show that they have simply flown to my pocket. Of course, this provides ample motivation for me to casually place the original NFW set into my other pocket, changing the focus to the newly revealed cards.

Posted: May 12, 2012 9:27pm
To be truthful, I never have liked sticky stuff, (Even in Richard Sanders "Super cards") because it wears out, (loses it's stickiness) picks up dirt, etc. To me that's a pain. But to each his own.
I found this thread only to see if any comments have been made about NFW. I'm a big fan too. FYI- I found double sided sticky dots in stationary aisle of 99 Cent Only Store. 60 dots for a buck. In small carton actually called "Magical Adhesive Dots". Crystal clear and very strong. I reduce tackiness by patting on shirt or pants a few times before use. Easy to change out if too dirty or lose stick.
Zig 2-way Glue. Far superior to tape, and can be rubbed off clean when it loses it's stickiness. It doesn't harm the other cards that do not have the glue. It's a scrapbook glue found in craft stores. Joann Fabrics is where I get it.

Just a thought on the opening count - I use a block count to show four face up. After practice it looks pretty normal. The important thing is not to call to much attention to this display, i.e., don't assume that the spectator will doubt you, you just started and there is no reason for suspicion.

I love this effect, too. After the last 'setup', I have the spectator make it happen in her own hands. Then I say something like, "Hey! What did you do to my jokers!?".
I've used that glue and it works pretty good too. :) Like your handling to let the last reveal happen in the spec's hands, nice. :)
[quote]
On 2012-04-16 20:34, Mb217 wrote:

Todsky, I have yet to see anyone do this trick any better than it is presented in this video. I took the time to learn it just this way. And it's a very convincing show of the initial 4 jokers, pretty easy to do, very effective and with practice it becomes the perfect opening move to the routine. I pull it out my wallet or pocket and go into just like this. :)

To me, this handling is so well done and smooth that it's hard to beat and that's why I left well-enough alone and began doing it just this way. I hate to see people bending the cards to make the magic happen at the end, just looks awful, out of place and fishy. Tack on a poorly done Elmsley and even doing the initial count badly and it kills the intended finesse of the trick. Look at how smooth this guy in the video makes this all happen, just wonderfully done. :)

The only thing I do a bit differently is slow it down some as I don't have to finish in a hurry like in the presentation video, in :30. :) But if you can practice and do it that smoothly you will make an already great effect even greater and more rhythmically magical, IMHO. :)
[/quote]
Hi
Does this handling come with the instructions ?
Thanks
Ralph

Posted: May 14, 2012 9:46pm
[quote]
On 2012-05-13 22:40, dduane wrote:
Zig 2-way Glue. Far superior to tape, and can be rubbed off clean when it loses it's stickiness. It doesn't harm the other cards that do not have the glue. It's a scrapbook glue found in craft stores. Joann Fabrics is where I get it.

Hi
Is this the one you use ?http://www.joann.com/zig-2-way-glue-pen-1pk-squeeze-roll/prd3326/?_requestid=294729
I also saw it at amazon with a chisel type tip, much fatter end.
Thanks
Ralph
[quote]
On 2012-05-14 21:38, ralphs007 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-04-16 20:34, Mb217 wrote:

[/quote]
Hi
Does this handling come with the instructions ?
Thanks
Ralph
[/quote]
Not sure this handling comes with the effect but you can work it out for yourself if you have a mind to as to how it's done. Pretty simple really to use this opening to the trick, easy as 1-2-3. Just think about it a little when you pick up the effect. :)
Hey I just wanted to chime in and thank you guys. I have been reading this thread and the "best packet tricks" thread and decided to buy NFW to see for myself. In short, its awesome. I love it. The EC not real hard -- I am sure I will get better at it, but it seems fine for now. Performed it 3 times at work and got huge reactions. As I am an amateur, my patter pretty different.

I say I was trying to get a trick to make people say NFW. I EC showing 3 up and 1 down, then make it 2 up 2 down -- downplaying the effect -- saying cool but not great. Then I do the move to show 3 down 1 up tp 4 down again down play saying cool but not NFW. Usually I get a lot of head nods. Then I drop the ending and say that is enough to make people say NFW. :)
What do you guys think of this version of the trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5t6evZYiE

the patter I use for this version "this is a little card game where all you have to do is find the queen of clubs (or a joker if you're using the cards that came with the trick)... and it's pretty easy because the top card is a queen of clubs (put that card down)... and it's even easier because the bottom card is also the queen of clubs.... (put second card down)... and it really seems too simple, because the two middle cards are also the queen of clubs. but in reality, this game is harder than it seems because this is a 5 of hearts, this is a 5 of hearts, and these two are also 5 of hearts (show all cards).

I like NFW a lot... but I didn't like doing the elmsley count with the tape. I also didn't like only showing 3 of the cards face up. I would use the patter of "i've got 4 face down jokers... but watch *snap fingers* ... I can make one of them turn down.. but wait...i'm also a mentalist, and I know that you're thinking that maybe one card was face down to begin with... so I'll do it again, watch... *snap*"... show 2 face down, etc.

but I actually think the way that NFW is performed is probably a lot better. the beginning part of the trick where the cards go face down makes the transformation way more unexpected than the version I performed. is there any way that I could improve this version of the trick (i didn't come up with it btw, I saw someone post a video of it somewhere a while ago)... is there any way to get the best of both worlds?

or should I just practice NFW more? I can still do the trick without problems the vast majority of the time... I just prefer to do this other version because it's so much simpler and I don't have to use awkward patter to cover up why I don't show all 4 cards normally and I don't have to risk messing up an elmsley count.

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 10:49pm
Ok... I was just playing around with both versions of the trick for the last half hour and here's what I've come up with:

for NFW... I think it might be better just to say "i'm gonna do a 4 card trick... 3 cards are face up, one is face down". so you never even say that you have 4 jokers, or that the turned down card is a joker... you're simply saying that you have 4 cards, 3 face up, 1 face down. people will assume that the values of the card don't have anything to do with the trick... and will probably assume that the face down card is also a joker.. .but since you're never saying this, they have no reason to question or doubt you. and by the time you get near the end of the trick where all 4 cards are face down... I think person is just pretty disappointed that they just saw a crappy card trick and they couldn't care less about the fact that they never saw the face down card. then obviously you shock them with the ending.

also, I'm finding the count a lot easier to do using a bit weaker tape... I would just have to change the tape every 1 or 2 performances.

and with respect to the other version of NFW that I posted above. after I have the two cards face down on the table... then I put the 3rd and 4th card, face to face... then show point to all 4 face down cards. so here's where I make the improvement from the video: separate the two face to face cards so that the back is always showing to the spectator (and you're now staring at the two 5 of hearts, or aces, or whatever cards you're using). Then put those two cards down next to the other two (and you can drop them from a few inches and handle them in such a way to that they seem like single cards)... so that now you have 4 face down cards on the table. Now, you say "and I'm going to help you out a little bit... most people first guess that the queen of clubs is the 3rd card (which is your only gimmicked card of the 4)... so I'm going to help you out and show you that this card isn't a queen of clubs. and you flip it over very cleanly, revealing that it's a 5 of hearts. then you put that card away (and maybe replace it with a normal 5 of hearts since they'll be busy trying to decide which of the remaining 3 cards they should pick). then you can eventually get them to turn over all three cards themselves... saying stuff like "ok, one more chance to find the queen of clubs" (or you can make it a gambling game) ... so they'll be able to handle 3 of the cards... and the 4th card you can have switched out a long time ago, so maybe you're just holding it in your hand. therefore you can throw the switched out card on the table and.... YOU FINISH CLEAN!

and also... maybe it would be cool to have the 4 queens re-appear at the end somehow. for example, maybe you have one of those card boxes with a false bottom that you can hide cards under... you take your original packet out of there... then close the box so that the next time you open it, 4 queen of clubs will be face up in there. so they can examine all 8 cards in the end, and they'll be pretty dumbfounded I would guess.

I think I'm also going to change it so that the 4 queen of clubs turn into 4 random red spot cards (instead of all 5 of hearts).
Hi,

Some good ideas there. I like your vid, although you may want to loosen up your grip - looks a little suspicious. I do NFW as prescribed in the directions. I do a block count to show 4 face up at the start. Don't call attention to this - they can see that there are 4 cards. My best advice: don't use tape. Get ZIG 2-Way Glue. It is awesome. Won't harm your cards, and can be rubbed off like rubber cement.

Regards,

Dennis
My patter for this eliminates the awkward count at the start to show 4 face up jokers.

I simply say I've got 4 face up jokers but remark how no-one really uses them, they normally get thrown away or ignored. Because of this, over the years the jokers have developed an inferiority complex & are shy. Then when one is face down on the first count I say "See, one is so shy he doesn't want to show his face". Of course they all become shy one at a time. It's daft but it gives a reason for them turning face down, especially the first one they never see.

What I love about this trick is that the turning down phase is suckering them in for the big magical punch in the face at the end. Packet tricks really don't come any better than NFW.
I use a D.M Count. I think it is the easiest count to show four jokers when in fact just using two.
It's in Daryl's Enc. Card Sleights Vol.7.
Hope it helps...
To the 10 magicians who don't have this yet..
What are you waiting for .. :) ...
I am one of the 10, because I do not consider my self a magician per se but a magic hobbyist. I like to learn and do tricks for myself and a few friends but I think in my senior years it helps me to stay sharp. My question about this trick is, do I have the ability? I would consider myself a low- intermediate in ability...an example is I can do color monte with no problem or anything that uses an Elmsley count (which to me is very easy to do). So, can I do this trick? Or a better question, do I have a good enough background in sleights to try this?
[quote]
On 2012-09-25 19:28, FightOnRon wrote:
I am one of the 10,,because I do not consider my self a magician per say but a magic hobbyist. I like to learn and do tricks for myself and a few friends but I think in my senior years it helps me to stay sharp. My question about this trick is,,do I have the ability. I would consider myself a low- intermediate in ability,,,,,an example is I can do color monte with no problem or anything that uses an Elmsley count (which to me is very easy to do). So,can I do this trick? Or a better question, do I have a good enough background in sleights to try this?
[/quote]

If you can do Color Monte and an Elmsley count you should have no trouble at all with NFW.
I don't use it because you can't show four face UP jokers
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 03:13, magicman491 wrote:
I don't use it because you cant show four face UP jokers
[/quote]

Most people don't show 4 jokers anyway as it's difficult to make the count look convincing. However, you are missing out on a very strong trick & there are a myriad of ways to avoid that initial display.
What do you mean they don't show the four jokers, I have the trick, don't use it though, do they just say "1 flips over, second flips over etc.?
Thanks
Hi, you can show the four jokers. But I don't know the name of the counting technique to be used to do it. Please help me in this thread for the same: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=484999&forum=201&0 Thanks.
I love this trick as well guys.. but my thoughts are at the end.. wouldn't it be cool to switch out for (4) reg. aces to examine?

Could use a Switch-a-roo device or something... what would be the justification of putting the cards in your pocket though... hmmmm... what do you guys think?
Put them into your [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIMBER-WALLET-Plastic-Magic-Swap-Wallet-/251165610933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7aa313b5]Himber wallet[/url], and ask if there are any questions.
If they ask to see the cards, you are all set.. :) ...
Yeah, that is an idea...
Yeah, you are all set to get backtracked by the spectators. If I ever was worried about grab happy people I would just make sure that when displaying the final four Aces...the "special" remained in my hand. Hey, it's only one card...right?

FWIW
Right..That's the one they will want to look at..Don't think like a magician.. :) ...
It may just be old age creeping up on me but I remember when this trick first came out and a lot of people I knew at the time wouldnt buy it because of the name "NFW" time warp to now "@#$%^&* Coins" I personally never let the name make my decision to buy or not - only we, the magicians, know the name of the effect - not the laymen out there. I certainly do not approach a table and say "Now I will perform hopping halves followed by scotch and soda and then my ambitious card routine - for my final trick - I will secretly make 4 sponge balls end up in your hand while you think there are 2.'
[quote]
On 2012-10-15 06:27, joseph wrote:
Right..That's the one they will want to look at..Don't think like a magician.. :) ...
[/quote]

But would not your "Himber Wallet" switch raise suspicion?

Just say'in.
I take them out of it, and put em back..never been called on the wallet..
but whatever works for you is good...
I've never found the need for a Himber Wallet with this. I have always just showed the cards and put them away. Never had a spec question beyond that, and I think it has a lot to do with your confidence in the magic as well.

Also, I gotta agree with my friend PD here as to the name of effects, makes no difference to them as you never say what the name of an effect is while presenting it most times. Just crazy that such things make so much difference to some magicians to the point that they would speak ill of an effect and or encourage others not to buy it.

And PD, you're right that NFW is a great example of that as is this new coin DVD with the salty name. :) For what it's worth, the coin DVD is pretty darn good if people look pass their nose on it, which I hope they do as they clearly did with NFW, which is still very much one of the very best packet tricks of all time IMHO. :)
Really enjoyed this thread. I havent had NFW for to long, but I really love it! One of my favourites so far when it comes to pocket tricks. A lot of great ideas and tips here!

Regarding showing four face up or not. Well as previously stated. Whatever floats your boat. Reactions by the end is probably just as strong non the less.

As for switching for normal aces. I just switch the one card. I drop the packet on my deck of cards. Then I just pretend to realize that "Hey wait, now that we have the four aces, I could show you another wierd thing?!" .. And I just false count it off from the deck to get four normal aces, and then I proceed with my ace routine. NFW is a nice production opener if you are doing a four ace routine. If not you can just do one trick, or if they wanna just see the cards, you can just false count them off the deck with whatever method you prefer.

Many times I just bring the packet trick out of my pocket tho, and when I am done I just put them away. I have never been asked to show the cards so far. If someone does I always have a spare ace in my pocket to switch. I could just bring them back out for examination if that would be the case.

And that coin dvd sure looks nice, been thinking about it for a while. I am not that very skilled with coins even tho I can most basic moves and I am not "bad". Im just not great. So I guess that dvd could do me good if I want to improve my skills.

Be well!

Ronnie
I bought this trick in Sydney in 2001, around the time I really started to get into magic. Took me ages to appreciate the joy of the trick, and I've just come back to it - after all this time it still blows people away!

My version has jokers and aces. I also bought a rising deck and can tell you which of the two lasted better...

Cheers.
Was introduced to this trick through Richard sanders supercards video, never fails to get great reactions.

I often do it with jokers turning to fives using the following patter before the reveal;
"Now All 5 jokers are going to change"
(Slightly confused look from spectator)
"Sorry did I say that that all 5 are going to change, I mean that they're all going to change into 5's"
A very confused look from the spectator turns to shock and the exclamation of NFW as we turn our cards over.

Hadn't actually tried using this to get into a four of a kind set like Ronnie suggests but it's a great idea and one I'll definitely be trying, thanks for the tip about cleaning up afterward.
Hoping to keep this thread going. I think there's more to NFW than meets the eye ... as several posts have indicated different handlings. As Steve Tricker (above) suggested, we can use 5's instead of aces. can another card be used in place of the joker (noting that there must be a way to disguise the tape or glue)? Love NFW for all the effects that it may spawn in its wake! Lynn
Hey Lynn glad you've kept this thread going.

I go with the 5's thing rather than a straight reveal (NFW exclamation) thinking that the semantic confusion stems a building WTF is going on here feeling which plays better for me.

Like your thinking with the jokers, if your not familiar with it I'd check out Richard Sanders "Supercards" DVD.

The first half is basically different presentations and handlings of NFW using different tech, it then goes on to explore more with the gaffery, colour changing deck, mystery card etc.

One in particular Super Jumping Gemmi gets them thinking your using 4 of one card for an acr type thing, then you show them its actually 4 of another card, then they all turn to aces. Its a take on an Darwin Ortiz classic.

Regards,
Stevie
Hi All,

New NFW goes to the first PM. I'll put in Monday's mail.Thank you all for your kind words over the years.

Best,

Gary
Still a perfect effect :)

I always show 4 jokers in the beginning - I use the 2 for 4 count from Biddle Grip. Easy count, not hard to learn at all

I end letting them examine the three clean cards, while switching out the double card for a single :D
I love this effect. One of my favorites!
The effect rocks!
This is still one of the very best IMHO. :) I'm still doing it on the regular for kids of all ages. It just kills! :D And it's fun to see people stunned by jokers turning one-by-one face down, but they are just blown completely away to see that the jokers have also completely, cleanly become 4 Aces. ;)

Just a brilliant effect from Gary Freed, yesterday and today. Anybody out there know what I'm talking about here? :D
I do..and totally agree.. :) ...
I saw Paul Richards, Elmwood Magic, perform this. He fooled me really bad. It was awesome. He is a great magician.
If the sticky stuff bothers you, I suggest you get "Spin Doctor" by John Bannon. Every card can be examined. From the cover, this is the effect:
1.Four red backed aces are shown, then held face down and spun.
2.After each recvolutionm a different ace turns face up. Next, suddenlly all four aces turn face up.
3.Then the ace of spades vanishes-it turns blank, and reappears among the other aces.
4. Finally, each ace has a different back design and color-four different colored backs.

Everything is clean and examinable

This really kills. If you already do NFW, this is easy to learn.

Merl
Here's my approach to NFW. First I use a switcharoo gimmick. I load four jokers into the gimmick. Then I pull out the four aces from the deck and write "Do not use." on the face. I use the excuse that I'm not going to do a trick with the four aces.(Actually I have a complete patter that justifies the writing on the aces, but you can figure something out yourself) Then I place the aces in the switcharoo ready for switching. Then pull out the four jokers (NFW), perform the effect, and then reach into my pocket to show that the jokers have jumped to my pocket while the aces have returned to my hand. (Of course the aces in NFW have "Do not use" written on them as well, this plays almost as strong as if they were signed. You just have to practice so that the writing is close enough between the sets of cards that the audience doesn't notice any difference) It turns the trick into an impossible transposition instead of strictly a transformation but I like the ulta clean look to the effect and it answers "where did the jokers go?" quite nicely.
Great thread.
I picked this up awhile ago based on this thread and love it. Talk about an entrée into packet effects.
Good choice ab,

It really is a wonderful trick. And so happy to see that so many people here think so. :) Keep letting us know how NFW is working for you all…It works for me just about everyday. ;) Just an absolutely marvelous effect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI
Thank you for that video. I've never heard of this before but I have to add it to my list of gets!

I don't know if it has been posted or not but is this in any way examinable afterwards? I would assume not but I'm just curious since you know someone is going to want to look at those cards after.
I purchased NFW a couple of years ago- I think because people spoke so highly of it around here. I still didn't know how to do a certain something at the time and thought, "No problem, I can learn."

Well, after getting discouraged I tossed it into a drawer and there it has sat until reading this thread again tonight. It's 2 years later and I handle cards much better now. After a few minutes of practice I tried it out on my 20 something y.o. daughters. Success!

Great trick! I'll be doing this one over the next few days and see how it goes.
Welcome to the Café Steve… :)

NFW is more than worth it and you'll know what everyone here is talking about once you move it to the front of class on your "List of gets..." to become an, "I got it!" :)

The trick is not examinable but is so clean that no one has ever asked me to see the cards…No one! You handle the cards so openly that despite the amazing magic to it all, it plays very fair. And so, specs are so overwhelmed by the astonishment of it all all they can do is gasp. I'm serious, it's that powerful an effect. Again, I've been doing this classic for years and don't remember anyone saying, "Let me see those cards." It doesn't happen because of how the effect plays out.

First of all the jokers turn face down one by one and that's amazing enough to the specs, but then you hit them with the clincher in that all the jokers have turned to aces. Specs are blown away and overwhelmed by the finale where you cleanly drop all 4 cards to the table…They never see it coming. ;)

This trick is not difficult and with a some practice will quickly become a lasting favorite. I hope you give it a try because once you do, you'll do it forever. :)

Again, welcome… :)
I just made a new gaff (in Phoenix brand cards) the Jokers look cool and the Aces Really pop. Nice addition to an already great effect. Also, I tried Scotch removable double side tape and it works better than original double sided tape. At the end, I spin the packet (like Twisting the Aces) so my thumb and finger pressing the center looks very natural. The tape is strong enough to hold yet peels easily when you separate the Cards.
It's a really nice trick but not my first choice. My favourite gaffed packet trick is B'Wave.
Hi darho, welcome to the Café… :) I like B'wave too, nice trick for sure but I typically use it not so much as a card trick but as a mentalism effect. With that, I list it more so amongst my closeup work as a bit of mentalism, just done with cards. ;) NFW is definitely a "card trick," a really great one at that. :)

And PD, great to hear of different things with NFW, and I know you are quite a cardmaker. :) I've often thought of the trick with other cards. I have been presenting the trick within a routine lately, where I use it as my finale. It begins with ReFlipped (I replaced the jacks with jokers). ;), amidst some directing patter I put away the jokers to do Twisting the Aces, and then I bring out the the Jokers (NFW) again ;) to finish up and of course they miraculously turn back to those 4 aces. :D It all plays rather well sewn together of 3 wonderful effects. I've even figured in a Z-fold wallet to show the NFW jokers magically returned there. :) All-in-all, it's working for me. :)

*And again darho, Welcome! :)
Mb,
I really like your take on putting these effects together. I'm one of the many packeTrickAcholics roaming the Café'. I use a z-fold wallet to cover a switch for non-gaffed cards with BWave. A platt pad works well too. You've got me thinking about a number of different possibilities. Let's see, where did I put Shawn Evans phone number... ;-)
This is still on my want list. I had it but do not know what happened to it?
Go for it DB, it's truly worth it. :)

Over the years, I have had a couple of different sets myself…I used to do it so much I think I wore them cards out. :D And sometimes I put it aside for a spell, and I am always happy when I pick it up again, and then wonder how I ever put such an impossible demonstration of trick down. :D

I think the effect is still between $12-15 bucks online most places, so still a steal for such genius. And the patter of it and slick moves to it has always made a decent-at-best coin man like myself, a pretty darn good looking card guy as well. :D

I tell'ya, when Gary Freed created this trick, we all struck gold. :)

And after nearly 13,000 views and 100 replies here, this string is still going strong…WOW!!!, now that's real magic! :D

*Here's still the best basic demonstration of the trick that I have seen…Guy is soooo smooth! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_4Q6ZstiTI
PS...

**And here's an updated take on the trick…Pretty slick! ;)

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/23
Really enjoy doing NFW. After showing the four aces I take the gaffed ace and reach into my packet wallet and pull out the cards for Virginia City Shuffle {http://www.michaelammarmagic.com/Virginia-City-Shuffle-DL-virginia.htm} bringing the cards out for that effect and leaving the gaff behind. I just say "now that we have the aces let me show you something with the ace of clubs" , this gets rid of the gaff and the aces on the table are examinable.
Yeah, really like this effect. Not done it for a while, wore it out. Might treat myself to a new set
This looks similar to ACE which I've been thinking of purchasing? What do you guys think is better, ACE or NFW?
I'd admit I'd prefer the easier trick to perform.
SugarRay. Just by watching the video I would say that the two tricks require about the same practice. :)

Can someone tell me if you end clean with the newer version of NFW? Thanks. db

I'm very close to re-buying this effect. Woo-hooo!
[quote]On Dec 12, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
This looks similar to ACE which I've been thinking of purchasing? What do you guys think is better, ACE or NFW?
I'd admit I'd prefer the easier trick to perform. [/quote]

They are both the same basically. Each comes with a few different handlings (providing you buy NFW from Penguin, you get 3 different downloads [b][i]I believe[/i][/b]. Rick Lax, The original Penguin generic one (the original Gary Freed version) and one by Nick Locapo and the part that "makes the gaff work" is a different material on each. 6 of one half dozen of other. I prefer ACE. You get a dvd with several handlings.

[quote]On Dec 19, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
SugarRay. Just by watching the video I would say that the two tricks require about the same practice. :)

Can someone tell me if you end clean with the newer version of NFW? Thanks. db

I'm very close to re-buying this effect. Woo-hooo! [/quote]

The gaff hasn't changed so you don't end "clean" just the handling. On the other hand, NFW and ACE by RS, are the same gaff but made with a different material to make "the magic happen" and I kind of prefer ACE (although NFW is easier to "re-do the gaffed stuff" if needed) Richard does sell refills on his site though.
Thanks Poof! Always respect your opinions. :)
[quote]On Dec 19, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
Thanks Poof! Always respect your opinions. :) [/quote]

Me too. ;)
You too MB! You're a great example on this forum. Poof is also in that category! Appreciated by many.

Sorry way off topic. Ok I'll be ordering this b4 Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone! db
[quote]On Dec 21, 2015, Dollarbill wrote:
You too MB! You're a great example on this forum. Poof is also in that category! Appreciated by many.

Sorry way off topic. Ok I'll be ordering this b4 Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone! db [/quote]

Thanks so much for the very kind words here. :)

And it's quite remarkable to see this string on [b]NFW[/b] still going strong…WOW!!! I think it's about time to start breaking-in a spanking, brand new set. :D

*Oh, and if you happen to see my man, Gary Freed out there…Thank him for this classic of a card trick. :)
What are peoples thoughts on performing NFW with :phoenixred: thin cards and science friction spray? (just to end even more clean)
That way the gimmick at the end is normal thickness and nearly examinable..

im sure I'm not even the 10th to think of this, but I'm curious if theyre are any reasons we can think of not to do it this way?
Although ill be pulling it out of the drawer again, its been a while since ive performed NFW so I cant recall the exact handling,
even though I of course remember the premise.

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter :)
Besides being difficult (perhaps impossible?) to obtain the necessary gaff in that version, the thin cards have a different finish.
But more than that I'm not sure what you mean by "nearly examinable"?
Speaking of Card-Shark, maybe his Magneato cards would be a better solution if you could get them made for this.
Problem with that though for me is I really don't like the Phoenix jokers at all.
My cards are not working as good. Wish they sell refill packet.
You do have to keep them clean.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2016, C. Dunlop Magic wrote:
My cards are not working as good. Wish they sell refill packet. [/quote]

If you are performing professionally, the cost of repurchasing the trick is trivial. Be grateful that you got a professional routine for that little money!
I try to perform for my-layman-self: slightly logical, not easily fooled, and doesn't believe in "magic."

So I actually like not showing anything except one face up joker.

And I just say "I have four jokers." (In a very serious voice. trying to convince the spectators by just saying it's so.)

That would automatically ring bells in my-layman-self.

Which is what my-magician-self wants. Because that would lower expectations to rock bottom.

Even when the first joker has seemingly turned face down, it's followed by "You could think I already had that one card face down." Acknowledging my-layman-self.

After a snap of the fingers, "however, NOW there are TWO.." which brings everything up to a very fast pace magically.

So I really don't see the need for the block count and showing four face up jokers, because it seems like you're running when no one is chasing you.

Just adding my presentation to the thread. Hope it makes sense.

Edit: oh, and concerning the OP, yes. NFW is on top of my list of go to effects, I always have it in my suitcase, and it's stayed with me for over a decade. It's such an awesome trick. Luckily, it hasn't been overdone as much as the invisible deck or the Svengali. Even better.
I don't think it's important to show 4 face up jokers to start. Start by saying a trick with 4 jokers and show the face up joker packet. If I give them a twist 1 joker turns over and now you count the packet. Now you continue the trick normally. I never had anyone question this. I love NFW but it looks like the latest version at Penguin is a rip off of Richard Sanders Ace, which is great btw.
I do NFW every once in a while, and while I don't show all four jokers I think it is better if you do. (And I will work that in when I get around to it, I swear! :D ) I usually start by showing the face up pack and telling the audience that I have this cool trick with four face up jokers where I magically turn them over one at a time, and then I show them the top two cards (jokers) and demonstrate flipping the top card over. No one has ever questioned the trick. It plays very strong. But I think it's better if you show all four jokers. I've just been lazy about it. Ideally, you want your audience going away with a solid story. When they are telling someone about the great magician who turned four jokers into four aces, you ideally want them to be able to respond to a skeptical person that, "No, she started out by showing me all four jokers," thereby eliminating any possibility that it could be anything other than real magic (though they know it cannot be).

So maybe this will inspire me to do one of the presentations where you can show four jokers. It's time to beef it up. :)
NFW is a great trick. I used to do it. I just have gravitated to other "packet" tricks. For me, it was natural to gravitate to two categories of packet tricks:

1. Those from an ordinary deck of cards, like oil and water or Twsting the Aces.
2. Maybe a couple or perhaps even just one really good gaffed or custom packet trick. I really like the Corner of Piccadilly by Paul Gordon.

KJ
I just started doing NFW and I love it. I took a lot from the Rick Lax "No Joke" handling that comes with the Penguin version. I used a roughing stick (I love that thing!) on one Joker and another particular card to prevent flashes; that works great. I basically flustration count the Jokers then do a certain kind of display as an excuse to get two important cards face-to-face, and the dirty work is done. I hold the only suspicious card while 3 spectators have the other Aces (see the Penguin/RL trailer).

I don't actually count "4 fronts and 4 backs", but I do stop in the middle of the flustration count and point out how the rock near the back tire has "808" on it, the card design/model number. Most people never seem to have noticed that. My hands are turned so they see two Joker faces at the same time, and it also adds time misdirection. No one has (yet) questioned that I was showing only a handful of only Jokers.
[quote]On May 13, 2016, LoganPorterMagic wrote:
[quote]On Apr 13, 2012, Denis Bastible wrote:
I agree that NFW is fantastic, especially if you learn a convincing show of the four face up Jokers. I do not like the easier "we have three face up and one face down" start. BWave, with how simple it is, is amazing if you do the eliminations in such a way as it looks like free choice. [/quote]

I agree, here. But NFW is a much better trick. [/quote]

Always great to see this string on NFW still going strong after starting it years ago now. :)

Just wanted to add my voice, that B'Wave is another wonderful packet trick. I think it might be falling back in the pack a bit now, but it's a real gem. I used to do it all the time, might do it some more now. Thanks for reminding me here. ;)
I updated my B'wave presentation, using streamlined principles I got from Joshua Jay. I feel it's an improvement. As far as NFW, I loved that effect for years. Used it all the time, but I've layed it aside, let it fall into desuetude, to now use "No Joke" which presentation I learned from Rick Lax. It's essentially NFW, but gets STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. Streamlined, you might say.

1 Here's four jokers (display them)

2 We deal them in four spots on the table.

3 Spectators cover them with their hands.

4 We turn them over and BAM! They are all aces. Katie bar the door! Now you don't have to have spectators cover them with their hands, but magic is always stronger, we are all aware, when it happens in a spectators hand.
Here's a link to my performance of "No Joke" on FB: https://www.facebook.com/doug.working.9/videos/10207235079139625/?l=8360553261378903594
Nice job!
Someone was asking about NFW so I thought I'd bump this.
The vast majority of comments in this thread are about the original handling of NFW.

I'd like to see some more feedback and discussion about the updated handling. The most common one is "No Joke" by Rick Lax, as shown in the Bar Handling version here:

[youtube]nhFuqoTMdVQ[/youtube]

To me this makes NFW feels like quite a different trick. It's still amazing, and possibly even more direct because all the emphasis is on the transformation. Plus it has the advantage of magic happening in the spectator's hands. But it does remove the "Twisting the Aces" feel from the start. It also makes the routine feel much more like ACE by Richard Sanders.

I've wondered if the handling by Rick Lax was inspired by the alternate handling of NFW taught by Nick Locapo, as demonstrated here:

[youtube]kS0rK2bDuAo[/youtube]

Does anyone know something about the history here? Gary Freed first put out NFW in 1999. At some point Penguin bought the rights to it, and it was after this (and after ACE by Richard Sanders came out) that the Rick Lax "No Joke" version was produced in 2015, which uses the same gaffs but changes the routine significantly. When did the alternate handling by Nick Locapo first come out? The No Joke routine by Rick Lax seems quite a bit like the routine Nick Locapo teaches (although it does use a slightly different method, and Rick's method is easier IMHO).

Note that if you buy NFW from Penguin, they give you all these tutorials, i.e. the original handling, the Nick Locapo tutorial (which includes the original handling and his updated handling, similar in feel to ACE and to No Joke), and the Rick Lax `No Joke' tutorials (which is similar in feel to Nick Locapo's `updated version' of NFW). Note that even if you've bought NFW a long time ago, these newer tutorials should also show up in the download area of your Penguin account.
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, EndersGame wrote:
Does anyone know something about the history here? Gary Freed first put out NFW in 1999. At some point Penguin bought the rights to it, and it was after this (and after ACE by Richard Sanders came out) that the Rick Lax "No Joke" version was produced in 2015, which uses the same gaffs but changes the routine significantly. When did the alternate handling by Nick Locapo first come out? The No Joke routine by Rick Lax seems quite a bit like the routine Nick Locapo teaches (although it does use a slightly different method, and Rick's method is easier IMHO).
[/quote]
Don't for get Richard Sanders "Supercards" video. I'm not certain where it falls in but I learned of it on page 4 of this topic (back in 2012) and wish I could have found a copy. Looks like some great stuff there. Here is a sample from 2012 on someone elses YouTube I'm pretty sure he is a member here. I found review requests on the Café in 2004 https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=91999&forum=111

[youtube]ATqPrJqyTyg[/youtube]
That is an awesome and easy Sanders trick, Poof. Happily I learned it somewhere along the way. Richard, please consider a DVD run of Supercards!
[quote]On Mar 16, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Don't forget Richard Sanders "Supercards" video. I'm not certain where it falls in. [/quote]
Yes, I'm well aware of this video. Richards Sanders' "ACE" is effectively a reworking of "4 Card Crunch" from Super Cards, but in more depth.

Here's a performance clip from Richard Sanders showing ACE:

[youtube]l8beNeesvlI[/youtube]

It seems to me that ACE is what may have inspired the "Updated Handling" for NFW by Nick Locapo (see the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS0rK2bDuAo]demo video[/url] which was already posted earlier in this thread), which uses the same props as NFW, but results in quite a different handling and routine.

Penguin Magic began providing the Nick Locapo video tutorial with NFW purchases in the last five years or so. They've also been providing the video tutorial of Rick Lax's "No Joke" for buyers of NFW, and No Joke is somewhat reminiscent of both the Nick Locapo handling and of ACE.
[quote]On Apr 27, 2012, Mb217 wrote:
Thanks Marty, I have seen Twixter (and love Jason Alford's stuff) and agree that it is a great trick, but a bit more to pull off for about the same amount of amazement. In this case, it seems to me that in considering this and NFW, one made the other a better way to skin-a-cat, and made everyone instantly a better cat-skinner, and cat-skinning ain't easy. :D

Found this on this:

[i]"According to Tom Stone, Mr Freed who came up with NFW after Jason [Alford] published Twixter in "Thinking and Wondering" asked him what he thought (of his minor change in the handling) and Jason answered ironically "I wish I had thought of that." This quote promptly apperaed in the ads for NFW!"[/i]

As to NFW, the rest is history as we know it. :) [/quote]
In the printed instructions that came with NFW, Twixter is mentioned (see below), but it is claimed that NFW was created independently of Twixter.

It also states that Twixter uses more cards - is that correct?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/IUIFztp.jpg[/img]
It's great to see all the comments in this thread, although the majority of them are about the original NFW and pre-date the "updated handlings" from Nick Locapo and Rick Lax that only came out around 2014-2015. These make it into a very direct in-the-spectators-hands routine that goes straight into the transformation. If you bought NFW from Penguin Magic prior to this time, you really should log in to [url=https://www.penguinmagic.com/penguinlearn.php]MyPenguinMagic[/url] and check out the downloads for the new video tutorials that should automatically have been added to your account.

Now that NFW comes with new handlings, I figured that it was high time to give NFW a brand new and comprehensive review that covers all the different handlings, a history of the effect, a comparison with Richard Sanders' ACE, and more. So I have put together a detailed review of NFW that covers all these things, and have just posted it over in the review section of The Magic Café here:

[b][url=https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=711156]Review: NFW (Gary Freed)[/url][/b]

Given that you get multiple video tutorials when you purchase NFW, effectively you get two different tricks with the same set of gaffs:
- the original NFW: which is a glorified variation of Twisting the Aces, with a kicker ending
- the updated NFW: which eliminates the Twisting the Aces phase, and focuses on a transformation

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WBj75qe.jpg[/img]