(Close Window)
Topic: The Lottery Ticket Illusion by Nate Staniforth (Limited Release)
I can't express how excited I am to be sharing this with you all right now. I have been keeping this hush hush for about two months now while Nate was getting the website ready. I haven't been this excited about something in a long time. My fellow midwestern Magician has just released his masterpiece as of about 10am CT May 8, 2012. Limited Edition, 150 copies. Will never be reprinted. I just bought the first copy. Nate gave me permission to release the link on the Café as he doesn't frequent here often. Trust me, it was difficult keeping this a secret. I love sharing awesome news! Great things come from Iowa. ;)

http://thelotteryillusion.com
Oh wowsers,

This looks great. 150 copies won't last long. I may have to leave this one for the working pros although very tempting.
@ $298 it's going to be a while to sell 150 copies. What's the rational of LIMITED EDITIONS anyway? Most of these LIMITED EDITIONS pop back up on the market due to "popular demand"

I realize everyone has the right to sell these limited products etc. Just never made sense to me. I've seen too many examples of a second release. And besides most that buy it won't perform it.

Peace hope sales increase and increase and my point will be made ... eventually.
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:04, parmenion wrote:
It looks great but as you bought it I'll not buy it.
[/quote]
So, you don't buy it, should I do so now? You know, it could make sense to do it the way, he doesn't buy it, he does, he doesn't, he does a. s. o.
And in between we could put a she, just for surprise and breaking the expected rhythm ... Jan
I think the big question is how much do you spend on top of the manuscript?

Do not be taken Boys & Babes.

J ack

H.O.A-X
The description reminds me of Alexander Marsh's routine.

d
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (May 8, 2012 03:49PM)
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:38, JanForster wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:04, parmenion wrote:
It looks great but as you bought it I'll not buy it.
[/quote]
So, you don't buy it, should I do so now? You know, it could make sense to do it the way, he doesn't buy it, he does, he doesn't, he does a. s. o.
And in between we could put a she, just for surprise and breaking the expected rhythm ... Jan
[/quote]

How bout, we all just do the "hokey cokey"! :dance:
Yeah :) ! You should see me, I'm dancing on the table already - and I'm not Greek! Jan
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:41, Jim-Callahan wrote:

[/quote]

Your question is not big; it was answered in the OP's link.
Your admonition to "not be taken" infers one would be, by purchasing the product.
Please - provide substance before casting aspersions, otherwise it appears as petty jealousy.
Is this effect for USA only, with similar tickets showed on the video, or is this possible in any country that have a lottery?
I think the effect is amazing. I really liked his performance too. Judging by the size of the audience he is doing something right!
Voh,

Here is another video of a performance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJaGyCiPcfo

As you can see from this performance, a different type of ticket/paper is used. Keep in mind, most people don't know what a lottery ticket looks like so it shouldn't be a problem. The fact it's printed on an "official looking" document is really all that's needed.

Daniel
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 17:48, Keith Raygor wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:41, Jim-Callahan wrote:

[/quote]

Your question is not big; it was answered in the OP's link.
Your admonition to "not be taken" infers one would be, by purchasing the product.
Please - provide substance before casting aspersions, otherwise it appears as petty jealousy.
[/quote]

Well I am sure you know I do not care what it looks like.

But if you can think of why I should please let us all know.

I think it is a good trick and can see that many magicians will make use of it.

Jim

PS. Let me say I did miss the part of his site that said it is a grand in addition to the book to do this.

But still it is a nice magic trick for the price if you have a helper and worth the cost in my opinion.
Nate can be reached at natestaniforth@gmail.com, but please don't email him unless it's a serious question and/or inquiry.

Daniel
First, full disclosure: Nate is one of my best friends and he is also one of my biggest "competitors"...strange how that works.
However that does not make what I'm about to write incorrect or an embellishment.

I have had the opportunity to see this live on multiple occasions and in different venues. There is a power behind this trick that is outstanding. This has fooled me badly multiple times and EVERY TIME I'm w/Nate and other magicians are around they always ask about this. This trick really is not for someone that is a hobbyist (which there is nothing wrong with). This is for someone who wants to bring true magic to their audiences and wants to put in the work to make it happen!

This is an effect that legitimately answers the question magicians and mentalists ALWAYS (at least for me) get asked..."Can you give me the winning numbers..."

I type this having just read this the 2nd time since I received it, and if you are working performer and this interests you, you will not find anyone that has put more thought and work into this effect than Nate.

If you are a creative person, the various methods (yes there are multiple) will get your creative juices flowing....in fact, an effect I wrote based on one of the ideas in this book I would not release for 10x this price.

I do know that this will NOT be released again as there in no one I know more ethical than NS, and honestly he makes his living performing not releasing material. He could have released this right after David Blaine performed this on his last special, but chose to continue to keep performing it for himself while still developing this during every performance. He could have just sold this to one or two other performers exclusively, however he chose to share it with 149 other lucky people.

My advice, if you are questioning/concerned about the price, the material, the author....don't purchase it. However there are plenty of performers in both the magic and mentalism community that will not hesitate to purchase this great book, put in the work and see the value of a truly road/audience tested piece of true magic.

I am proud to be one of the few to have read this already and will be putting this right next to my copy of the Berglas Book!

-Daniel Martin
False_shuffle claimed:[quote]Keep in mind, most people don't know what a lottery ticket looks like so it shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]
So who's buying all those billions (yes, billions) of lottery tickets then?
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:16, johncesta wrote:
@ $298 it's going to be a while to sell 150 copies. What's the rational of LIMITED EDITIONS anyway? Most of these LIMITED EDITIONS pop back up on the market due to "popular demand"

[/quote]

People who limit a release and then re-release more copies are scoundrels! The idea of (printed)limited release is a great thing (in my opinion), it helps prevent (not totally stop) piracy.

The price of the book is irrelevant (if there is more than one use for the principles), your paying for a small part of someones thoughts which is a very, very private thing and just like pricing their show its up to the owner to determine the price.

Just my 2 pennies :)

Pete
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 19:00, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Let me say I did miss the part of his site that said it is a grand in addition to the book to do this.
[/quote]

You are purposefully misstating what it says. I believe your intentions are again suspect.

[quote]
On 2012-05-08 19:00, Jim-Callahan wrote:
But still it is a nice magic trick for the price if you have a helper . . .
[/quote]

It is performed without a helper. Though you're welcome to use one, he does not use one on his tour. And having read the link again, you already knew this. Back to your "magic tricks", unless you have more to add.
Only after having seen the video I think that The Lottery Ticket Illusion by Nate Staniforth is awesome. There is one thing that I don't understand, why would a Working Pro sell this wonderful routine, I don't get it. 150 copies = 40.000 dollars? Unless he doesn't want to perform it again, which is strange.

Regards
Mark
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 05:41, Mark Timon wrote:
Only after having seen the video I think that The Lottery Ticket Illusion by Nate Staniforth is awesome. There is one thing that I don't understand, why would a Working Pro sell this wonderful routine, I don't get it. 150 copies = 40.000 dollars? Unless he doesn't want to perform it again, which is strange.

Regards
Mark
[/quote]

Not everyone who buys this will end up performing it. Lets say once all the books sell out that half of the people who bought the book perform the effect. Heck, lets say they ALL perform the effect.

Surely there is enough space in the world for 151 people to be performing this?...
I have seen this performed and it fooled me badly. I loved this effect. I have wanted it for sometime. I don't Neil at all but I remember seeing this effect today even though I saw it years ago. I can't say that about many effects I have seen and forgotten. I just went ahead and purchased it. I am glad it will be sold as a limited edition
It's been my view that a 'clean' Lottery prediction is one of the strongest effects there is.

As a result, I've been pursuing a workable method for many years and must admit that my curiosity has been peaked by what Nate has come up with.
As an aside, I rather enjoyed his unassuming stage persona - very likable and natural.

I have ordered the book.

e
This looks great. I don't care how much he's charging or how much it costs to buy the extra needed equipment. All I care about is one question: regardless of the venue or method used, are the numbers always computer printed on the lotto ticket. The FAQ's don't address specifically but it does say that regarless of method, the effect is always the same. For that statement to be honest/true, teh final ticket would always need to be a printed ticket.

Welcome a response from those of you that have purchased this.
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 21:38, Peter_turner wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 16:16, johncesta wrote:

[/quote]

People who limit a release and then re-release more copies are scoundrels! The idea of (printed)limited release is a great thing (in my opinion), it helps prevent (not totally stop) piracy.

The price of the book is irrelevant (if there is more than one use for the principles), your paying for a small part of someones thoughts which is a very, very private thing and just like pricing their show its up to the owner to determine the price.

Just my 2 pennies :)

Pete
[/quote]

I could not agree with Peter more---limited releases are wonderful. I mean whether it is magic or mentalism isn't it all about keeping it secret? Not everyone has to have access to every effect. Limited releases makes us choose what we really want to do. And as for price---I have to laugh at someone complaining about it being $300. First, of all if you don't like the price---don't buy it! Its not a necessity like food, gas or housing. If its too much, pass. Most effects, one is simply buying the secret. How do you put a price on a secret? If there is no demand at $300, Neil will make no money. Keep in mind, Neil performs this all over the country in front of large crowds. This is how he makes a living. People walk away stunned. To learn that secret and be able to perform this effect yourself $300 seems cheap. And if doesn't--don't buy it.
This has been on my radar for a long time, and thought it would never be released. I just had to buy this, and looking forward to receive the book. For the price, I would much rather pay $300 for a stunning effect then $300 for a book full of effects that I will never use.
With regard to assistants, it's made very clear in the advertising that "You will need some help at some point in the process"; whether one calls this helper an "assistant" or not is a matter of semantics.

I'll have to say that I wouldn't buy this based on the video, as it was quite obvious to me how it was accomplished (there are a few significant clues). So, for me, it would be a question of how much value was added by the "other methods" that are implied but not demonstrated.

I [b]did[/b] enjoy the presentation: very well suited to the audience.
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 16:39, voh002 wrote:
This has been on my radar for a long time, and thought it would never be released. I just had to buy this, and looking forward to receive the book. For the price, I would much rather pay $300 for a stunning effect then $300 for a book full of effects that I will never use.
[/quote]

Pretty much me too. But if the stunning effect isn't so... Stunning then you've lost everything and have nothing to fall back on.

Go for for it. Heck I spent 165 smackers on some total deluxe but at least I got a wallet in the deal.
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 15:30, Eric Samuels wrote:
I rather enjoyed his unassuming stage persona - very likable and natural.

[/quote]

Me too! I found myself quite engaged with the routine and the clarity. It was a lovely thing.
If you like his style you should check out a dvd called Nate Staniforth Magician. It follows him on tour of college campuses performing in 2006-2007. It is performance only and he performs the Lottery Ticket Illusion as his finale. Really nice DVD.
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 17:23, ddyment wrote:
With regard to assistants, it's made very clear in the advertising that "You will need some help at some point in the process"; whether one calls this helper an "assistant" or not is a matter of semantics.

I'll have to say that I wouldn't buy this based on the video, as it was quite obvious to me how it was accomplished (there are a few significant clues). So, for me, it would be a question of how much value was added by the "other methods" that are implied but not demonstrated.

[/quote]

I agree nice performance. Method exposed.

J
I ordered today. Looking forward to this. Didn't think I could sit through a six minute demo but I really liked Nate's performance.
Received a nice email from Nate after my order. Impressed that the book was mailed within a couple hours after I ordered and Nate's willingness to discuss the effect after I read the book. Always appreciate first class customer service.
HOLD ON ... So it's $300 for the book but a grand for the stuff needed? Not that $300 is that much for all the ins and outs of a perfected routine. I'm not saying that.... but after looking at the promo I was, at first, thinking the book was all I needed. Honestly I saw a video like this years ago and I imagine the method is what I thought it was then. Just wanted to be clear here. :dancing: I also believe the clip I saw years ago would require an assistant. Just sayin ...
Thanks for the informative email ... I've probably got the stuff to do this as in the original video I saw.
He has a good Q & A that answers most questions about costs, etc. From reading it, clearly you don't have to spend $1000.
Yes, Nate has also been very responsive to me, as well. He is more than willing to help answer questions to any serious performer who is a potential purchaser of this effect. As one of the reviews indicate, the fact that this may be perceived as expensive and not necessarily easy (it depends what is meant by that term) is actually a great thing for those who will perform this. It provides exclusivity and value to those who will work meticulously to perform this beautiful effect. Besides that, doesn't the book look so beautiful on the website? :)

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2012-05-10 15:49, insight wrote:
Yes, Nate has also been very responsive to me, as well. He is more than willing to help answer questions to any serious performer who is a potential purchaser of this effect. As one of the reviews indicate, the fact that this may be perceived as expensive and not necessarily easy (it depends what is meant by that term) is actually a great thing for those who will perform this. It provides exclusivity and value to those who will work meticulously to perform this beautiful effect. Besides that, doesn't the book look so beautiful on the website? :)

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

I agree---and most things worthwhile are not easy. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
[quote]
On 2012-05-08 18:42, false_shuffle wrote:
Voh,

Keep in mind, most people don't know what a lottery ticket looks like so it shouldn't be a problem.
Daniel
[/quote]

What a thoughtless, ridiculous, dim-witted assumption to make. Good luck with that kind of thinking.
Great performance!
(Actually great overall style)
Thanks for releasing this (limited!), Nate!
Just ordered...
OK. I ordered this about an hour after this was "live", but how can we stop dim witted spoilers scanning this and posting onto file sharing sites?
[quote]
On 2012-05-11 14:02, boydy wrote:
OK. I ordered this about an hour after this was "live", but how can we stop dim witted spoilers scanning this and posting onto file sharing sites?
[/quote]

Short answer - you can't.
Despite the best efforts of powerful organizations with no shortage of resources (music & film industries as an example), it's nearly impossible to stop the illegal and immoral actions of one person.
That said, it would seem counter-productive that someone would buy the book only to scan and post its contents for the sole purpose of proving their own sociopathy.
Message: Posted by: Christophercarter (May 11, 2012 04:15PM)
Don't forget to watch the clip of David Blaine doing the trick. There's a link to it on the Q and A section of the website.

I'm bringing this up because when I posted years ago about Nate doing this in my house under seemingly challenge conditions almost nobody believed me. Blaine is doing the same version Nate did for me in my Dining Room. So this is my big chance to say "told ya!":)

Also, the book is about more than just this trick. It uses the effect to communicate a larger message about crafting reputation making miracles.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (May 11, 2012 04:51PM)
[quote]
On 2012-05-09 17:23, ddyment wrote:

[/quote]

Enough said. However, I would add, I've been doing a lottery prediction effect for over a year now, minus the printed ticket variety, and it plays very well.

Good luck to all purchasers, I hope it inspires you to "different thinking"!
[quote]
On 2012-05-11 12:51, boydy wrote:
Anyone have a review of Nates book yet?
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2012-05-11 14:02, boydy wrote:
[/quote]

If you ordered Nates book an hour after it went live I think it may be you who will be writing the first review:)
Book arrived today.
That's all you get, for now ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm mean!

e
[quote]
On 2012-05-11 19:50, Eric Samuels wrote:
Book arrived today.
That's all you get, for now ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm mean!
[/quote]

Tease.

That didn't take long to hit the coffee table! Nate is on the ball!
There is really no point to review the book because it's limited edition, but it's amazing. It was above my expectations. For those of you that get the book...when you get to the "Houdini would have done it" page in Section 4...it's basically a Magician's Orgasm. That's all I'm gonna say :) Who agrees?

Russell Davidson, act a little more mature please. You know where I was coming from.
[quote]
On 2012-05-11 23:26, false_shuffle wrote:
There is really no point to review the book because it's limited edition, but it's amazing.
[/quote]

The only thing I have to say is:I like Forrest Gump !
I live in Scotland so the book will take about 2 weeks to get here!
I'm thinking mine will come today--at least I hope
Just got mine. Impressive looking book.
I have not received mine yet, but Nate is an amazing guy. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVx09vyYX9M

You will realize just how deep of a thinker Nate is, not only with respect to magic, but also with respect to life. His genius is being shared with 150 other individuals through this book, and let's be thankful to him for sharing his effect so that we, as serious performers, can continue to AMAZE (not fool, not impress, not confuse) our audiences.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2012-05-12 13:00, emyers99 wrote:
Just got mine. Impressive looking book.
[/quote]
This one too... ;) Jan
[quote]
On 2012-05-12 14:34, insight wrote:
I have not received mine yet, but Nate is an amazing guy. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVx09vyYX9M

You will realize just how deep of a thinker Nate is, not only with respect to magic, but also with respect to life. His genius is being shared with 150 other individuals through this book, and let's be thankful to him for sharing his effect so that we, as serious performers, can continue to AMAZE (not fool, not impress, not confuse) our audiences.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

Well said---I can't understand some of the critical comments from indviduals who have not even seen the book
Mine is on its way to Afghanistan...yahoo!
[quote]
On 2012-05-11 23:26, false_shuffle wrote:

Russell Davidson, act a little more mature please. You know where I was coming from.
[/quote]

Actually I don't. Please explain why you think most people don't know what a lottery ticket looks like? That's what you've written.
Two words - LIFE CHANGING!

Regards,
Mike
My partner got this for us to put in our act & I think it's brilliant.

To those who think they have have it figured out from the video, I seriously doubt it.

This is going to kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
I have read it for the first time and ready to comment. First, I will not discuss specifics. This is a high priced limited edition. Part of what I paid for is exclusivity. I really don't want to "advertise" specfics. I hope others who purchase feel the same way. Ok, now that that is out of the way---I am very happy with my purchase. First and foremost, Nate has changed my way of thinking. It is actually very very inspiring. I can't say that about many books I have purchased. The first time I saw Nate perform the Lottery Illusion, it also had a profound effect on me. The book is everything I hoped it to be. I am getting ready to reread it. Thanks Nate.
Russell Davidson, numbers on a lottery ticket are arranged from smallest to largest, almost always. In the video on the website, the numbers are arranged in the order called. The audience reaction is huge and no one cares, or notices, or both. Isn't that point enough? Many other differences also.
*** you guys being so impressed.

Now look what you have gone and done. I just placed an order.

Yes, the very first reply on this thread is me saying I'm going to leave this one for the pros...
I love the book. I would beg anyone who buys it to see past the routine being offered, & look at what is possible.

Nathan
I watched the demo and TedX video. Pure and simple with GREAT IMPACT! Nate's presentation is what makes the Lottery Ticket Illusion so powerful. I like that Nate does not mention anything about lottery numbers until the very end. For some audience members, they have no idea what is about to happen. I Think 300.00 is good price even if you do have to invest in the extras. I spent 950.00 dollars on a Kevin James snow animator 2 and still had to buy 250.00 cross cut shredder to get the snow balls that Kevin uses in his own show. Is it worth it? For some, No. For me, Yes.
I purchased the book today. The book shipped today and I received a very nice e-mail from Nate stating "If you have any questions after you spend some time with it please don't hesitate to write. It is important to me that you are happy with your purchase and I'm glad to help in any way that I can".

This makes me feel like I did when I was a kid going to the magic shop, every Saturday morning. Only 150 magicians in the world will own a copy of Nate's effect which is timeless and much more than just a magic trick.

Can't wait to get the book.

Kenny
[quote]
On 2012-05-15 23:09, Nathan Pain wrote:
I love the book. I would beg anyone who buys it to see past the routine being offered, & look at what is possible.

Nathan
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Yes, I bought the book for one reason and one reason alone--- to learn the Lottery Illusion. But it has taught me so much more
Searching the web there is hardly anything on the lottery illusion. This is a good thing don't get me wrong. It just seems as though the only place this is being offered is here at the Café.

I'm glad the comments on the book are good ones. Gota love the limited editions. Not that this is very important but does anybody know if these are numbered?..

Really looking fowared to recieving this. Now we wait...
Yep, they're numbered (48/150). Probably over a third of the books are sold by now - pretty impressive.
Exactly 98 left.

On a side note if you're looking for a different version checkout Alexander Marsh on the Confessions of Real Mind Readers. He talks about his version that he uses as the closer for his show. I just listened to this yesterday. It uses a real lottery ticket, but you can't show it close-up and printed like Nate's version. Really cool, different approach though.
Hi

I made a payment for my copy of the book on saturday 2012.05.19 and I have not heard anything yet. Has anybody else experienced this? Everybody else got their book shipped so fast so I got a little worried...that's all. Maybe Nate is on tour or something? :)
The Confessions of Real Mind Readers site is pretty awesome. And yes, Alexander Marsh version of the lottery illusion is also very cool...by the way.
Just got an email from Nate. Everything is peaches and cream! ;)
I've been waiting on this one for quite a while; glad to see Nate finally released it. My order is in.
Mine arrived in Scotland last week. Number 3
I have received a couple pms about this book. I hope everyone who has purchased this exclusive item will keep the exclusivity in mind. I have no problem giving this book the highest recommendation but do not want to give any specifics. Lets keep this one close to our vest.
Hello Magic Café-

First off, let me say that while I've had an active account here for quite some time, I have never actually posted anything, so I'll do my best to be as to-the-point as possible.

Second, I must preface this review by saying that I do not personally know Nate Staniforth, and while we have exchanged a few emails in the last week, I have never met him, nor do I have any personal connection to him or anyone in his immediate circle.

I felt it proactive to write this review as someone who actually purchased the Lottery Ticket book from Nate (13/150), as I feel I can definitely add some weight to the discussion as someone who has read and reread the book, as opposed to those who speculate as to its quality and practicality.

The book itself is printed very beautifully on glossy paper and is professionally bound. There are tons of photographs accompanying the explanations. The photos that correspond to the descriptions are not numbered to match the instructions, however it is very easy to follow along.

Nate goes into very fine detail about each and every component. Most if not all of us are familiar with the standard format of how magic books are laid out: here's the word EFFECT:, here's the description of the effect, here's the word EXPLANATION:, and so on. If you own The Complete Works Of Derek Dingle, you know sometimes you don't even get a description of what the effect is, you're just left to perform it for yourself and see what the outcome is as it happens. As is the case here, Nate has broken down the book into very distinct sections: he describes the effect- and we all know what it is by now- then follows with brief descriptions of exactly what the methods are (both Basic and Advanced). And only after he has gone over many points does he actually get into the construction of the methods. Nothing is left out. He tells you what you'll need, and he explains everything very effectively and to the point. In other words, he doesn't go on for pages and pages to make it seem daunting. Suffice it to say, a description may only last 2-3 pages, but be prepared to do some serious work while you're reading and rereading them.

There are 3 basic methods explained, and 6 advanced. Neither option is necessarily easier to perform than the other, it's simply a matter of the appropriate method to use in the given situation. In other words, whereas in one scenario one of the basics would work out better, its not always going to be the case in another. The point is: neither basic nor advanced will really save you much in the leg work- its situational every time. Think of it like this- I have to vanish a cigarette; do I use a Tip, or will the environment be such that angles on a pull would be ok? As a side note, Nate also emphatically states that his hope is that readers DON'T use his methods verbatim, that instead they use the book as a conduit for finding their own methods that work for THEM. This is a point a lot of magicians make, but few rarely follow.

Besides discussing methodology, the book also goes into the situations one might encounter, and how really thinking about that situation would fit the trick. Because that's the point the book makes more than any, which I think is something most would gloss over: the Lottery Ticket effect is not built to be everything to every situation. Its not going to be the thing you do every time you go out of the house. To paraphrase the text- you have to commit to performing the effect (wherever it may be), and only THEN can you start to consider the method that is most appropriate. Also included are 2 of the better anecdotal performance stories I've ever read- one involving the effect performed for a single reporter at a coffee house, the other being the infamous story of Nate performing it at the home of a well-known mentalist. As a side note- while many people know OF the story, to read the details of how it happened is absolute genius. Thinking like this is what makes me think Nate should be involved in the Space Program. Amazing.

The rest of what's contained in the book mostly pertains to methodology, so I really won't go into it. But to his credit, he has left no stone unturned in his quest to bring his effect to those of us who are intrigued by it and want a good challenge in order to create what the audience will view as a miracle. You've seen the videos- people are not disappointed.

In reading other posts in this thread (not all of them, just some), I am finding that a lot of people are really focused on the wrong thing. Firstly, not everyone will buy this book because of the price, and of those that do, not everyone will actually go through the trouble of constructing and arranging it. That's right- arranging. Honestly, I'd be happy if Nate sold out all 150 copies and no one but me wanted to put in the work. Ah, in a perfect world...

Getting back to my point, I'm just going to say this, and it's going to be a bitter pill for some of you to swallow, but we must accept this as fact: The Lottery Ticket was not created for every magician to perform. Plain and simple. If it was, I'm sure Nate would have had no problem mass-marketing it as opposed to the limited edition approach (more on that coming). In the introduction, Nate talks about his fondness for The Mind and Magic of David Berglas, and on the publication page at the beginning, he pays an interesting tribute to it. On the page, clearly written are the words "Limited To One Hundred and Fifty Copies for professional performers (italics used by me to emphasize)". You've been warned.

Anyone who gives the price as a reason not to buy it, these are the people who don't need the effect in their show. Well, why is that? Right off the bat, while the price for the book is quite high ($YOUKNOWHOWMUCHITCOSTS), it's not like you're buying a Steinmeyer illusion, or an animator from Kevin James. But something needs to be kept in mind- you're not buying a book, you're buying a SYSTEM. You're not getting one method, you're getting close to 10! You're also not buying a trick someone came up with and threw up on the internet- you're buy THE bread-and-butter effect from the creator himself, which obviously has been (and continues to be) a labor of love to him for many years. So if you scoff at the price for what you get, you're just not commanding the performances or venues to justify the price- and that's ok. Most people (myself included) can pay the expense off with 1, maybe 2, performances. If you work regularly and the effect appeals to you, it's a no-brainer. If you're a restaurant guy, or you do weddings, this effect is not suitable, plain and simple. Now you don't have to argue with yourself over the "should I, shouldn't I?" Take it from me (and I'm nobody)- you shouldn't.
Also of interest to me as something that should be pointed out, a lot of people seem to be concerned about this point/rumor that you're "spending a grand" on top of a $300 book. Let me be clear- this is a misquote. Clearly stated by Nate on his website (thelotteryillusion.com), if you wanted a COMPLETE system for performing the effect, that is, the means to perform any one of the 10 methods at any time, buying all of the materials at once would cost you such an amount. But again for clarity, it is NOT essential to spend that kind of money to perform the illusion. One could very easily purchase the necessary components over time, and in that time, still be able to perform the effect using a single method. And again, I'm driving the point home- if your reasoning behind not getting it is the price, then you shouldn't be even considering it, because you already know the effect isn't for you, and as such, it'll sit on your shelf and collect dust. But those of us that see the greatness in the effect and it's potential know that something this powerful will pay for itself... quickly.

Please be aware I am in no way denouncing anyone's opinions or interested in starting an online war of words. My intention in writing this is to actually quell some of the fears and hesitations of those who want more info but don't want to find out the hard way that this isn't a take-it-out-of-the-box-and-do-it effect. This piece will take work. It will take time. It will take a lot of effort. I have barely left my work space this week because of all the compiling and constructing. It's not for everyone, and if it's not for you, don't feel bad or like you're missing out. Personally, I don't do kids shows, so I don't own typical things like Hippity Hop Rabbits or Topsy Turvy Bottles. One of my favorite pieces of magic since childhood is Harry Anderson's TTB, I love it, but I am mature enough to know that the trick just doesn't fit my style or persona, and so I leave it to those that will do it justice. That's the point a lot of young magicians nowadays are missing out on- they see something on tv and wanna run out and do it. This is why we're seeing a disgusting amount of exposure and tutorials and things like that pop up. The Lottery is no different- we need to be brave enough to say "it's cool, but it's not for me", and this way the price doesn't even need to be an issue. Spend it on something you'll use- and go out and do it better than anybody else!

About a year ago, after giving up on Nate ever releasing the effect, I constructed a makeshift lottery effect combining ideas from Anthony Owen and the old Predicta trick, which worked just fine. But I didn't want that effect, I wanted THIS one- the one Nate created and David Blaine did on tv (which btw is discussed in brief). So to do that, I needed the method, which I investigated every chance I could. Ironically, I thought of an idea very similar to what Nate's method is, and I did what I accused the audience earlier of doing- I dismissed it. That in and of itself, is what makes me so very excited to perform it. The fact that the absolute devious nature by which the effect is executed makes me giddy as a school girl- to know that I have the audacity to pull it off, god- this is what makes me feel alive on stage!! Michael Ammar might in this case use his "leading them down the garden path and turning the hose on them" analogy. Write your own jokes and place them (here).

Nate wrote me an email after I'd complained to him via his Twitter account, because honestly, I wasn't crazy about his releasing it- A) because it had taken me so long to find a workable solution myself, and B) (and you know you've done this yourself), because I love the trick so much and felt as if no one but me deserved to have it. And he responded to me in the best way possible- he said not to worry because it's only going to be limited to 150 copies, and that the trick is better served to be "appreciated by those few than continue to live as a legend". That shows to me an eloquence and maturity and professionalism that is so lacking these days- not just in magic, but in the world itself. That one statement alone addresses the necessity of the limit- the Lottery Illusion doesn't belong to magic, or the world; it belongs to the person (or people) who love it enough to put in the work to do it justice in a way that properly serves the effect. That's why it's so strong. It's NOT Hippity Hop Rabbits- it's not sponge balls or a Tip, or a Svengali Deck. That's why it's so good.

Again, sorry for the long review/soap box sermon. I hope at the very least I've helped a few of you feel more comfortable about making the right decision regarding getting the book or not. If I've left anything out feel free to PM me, although Nate is very good about answering any emails regarding concerns about the effect. And please don't ask me to tip anything so as to help you decide- if this 4 page tirade doesn't help you, nothing will.

Thanks for taking the time to read this (if you've made it this far). Good luck to Nate, and kudos to him for creating such a great illusion (though he claims it remains a work-in-progress, and is far from perfect). The only thing I ask of you all is...

Please don't buy it, just send Nate money because he's a nice guy. But if you do, don't bother performing it.

I'm the only one who deserves it ;)

G'nite all.
What he said.

e
Great and honest review to the point. Jan
One of the most well written reviews I've ever read on the Café.
Thanks for the kind words- I really tried to do a service to both the effect and to the thread. And I applaud you guys for suffering through the length, I realize it's very talkie. Looking forward to getting more involved in the future.
Looks as though half of the books are now sold. Now that I have ordered I just wish the rest would dissappear. How very selffish of me..
For those who have this and want to go the distance, I have available a used model of a particularly cool item identified in the book, at a serious savings.
Apologies for being cryptic (out of necessity), but if you PM me and can correctly ID what it is that I am referring to (with specifics), I can get into more detail.

Cheers,

e
I can’t say enough about Nate Staniforth’s new Lottery Prediction Book. It is if he wrote a masters degree thesis on the modern genre we now know and love as lottery prediction effects. Here Nate Staniforth elevates the lottery prediction plot in to a “miracle class’ illusion. The book concerns much more than effects though…it covers the philosophy and mission we should strive for when performing any effect including the Lottery Trick. We’re all fond of collecting various “categories” of magic…for me chair predictions, design duplications, PK effects, etc. Here in one book, Mr. Staniforth fast forwards and saves us years of collecting, by assembling and dishing out many many versions of the Lottery Prediction. You’ll find flavors from close-up and parlor versions, stage versions, simple variations and elaborate variations. You’ll find methods and handlings not only suitable for the working professional but also semi-pros and hobbyists with lot’s of food for thought. You’ll discover that each technique can be further applied to effects and routines completely outside the lottery prediction plot. The book is gorgeously produced on glossy stock with clear color photos detailing everything you’ll need to know to prepare and perform the various methods discussed. As mentioned in other threads, you cannot think of the lottery prediction as a simple trick. It is not. It must be thought of as a full scale illusion in terms of time, prep, practice, your mindset and the image conveyed to your audience. However it IS accessible to anyone. If you’re looking for a quick resetting table hopping or anytime anywhere effect this will not serve the purpose. If you endeavor rather to delve into, ponder and slowly sip The Lottery Trick book like a fine glass of wine, you will benefit and be inspired from years of thinking by Nate Staniforth. Highly recommended.
Everybody has is own opinion, professionnal or amateur.
Out of the hundreds of magical things I've purchased in the past 26 years, this is one out of only a small handful that I have not been disappointed in. Well done Nate!
Could you perform this routine either at a cocktail type walkaround setting or restaurant setting???
Or could you perform this say at a wedding reception just say for the top table???
Daren, yes and yes. You can perform this anywhere you want, in virtually any condition. I personally wouldnt want to do it table hopping, I would use it for that special table as you suggested. But could it be done hopping? Sure.
I see now that you were not actually questioning hopping, but the setting itself. Yes, this is no problem.
Darren, it looks like you're a performer so you deserve a honest answer. No you can't do in in table hoping! I don't understand why some people say yes.,, it's a shame! The works to do it in table hoping is too much and not easy at all!
The book is great and I recommend it to the serious performer but No you would not use it for table hopping. The effect is an A+ and the book itself is an A+
I am looking to perform this as a special occasion one off piece, either at a wedding reception just say for the top table so would only be a one off piece mainly for the bridal party, or to all the wedding reception either before or after my walkaround set, I think this works?? or either at a garden party again as a one off performance piece before a walkaround set kicks in, I have had notification from Nate that mine is on its way and I for one am very much looking forward to digesting the info included within the book, I have quite a knowledgeable magic mind so I may be able to adapt it in some way to suit me or take snipets of other ideas to combine my own idea, which I will share with Nate once I have something I am happy with.
It not suitable for table hoping ( even for one table) for obvious reasons you'll understand why when you'll read the book.
If you have some knowledge in magic you should already know what excepted about how it works.
But as a one off piece at say a garden party, this would work yes???
Yes for a one off it would be fine...actually great!
You'll see when you'll have the book...
Yep, I'm sure I can use this without a doubt, as a one off performance after a walk around set or before my walkaround set to get them really in the mood, either at a large dining hall type reception/garden party, there must be a method included in the book that will suit my needs, I think from what I have read there are 9 different presentation methods
Virtually anything is possible, if you put your mind and resources towards it ;)

Then again, this is true in both life and this effect!
Does anyone have any performance experience with this effect at the moment, would love to hear it, I for one cannot wait for this to come through, if it takes a lot of work to set up then so be it, but think about the effect this has on the audience/spectators watching, it totally fries me and I'm a magician, imagine the devastation this has on laymen!!! come on postie hurry up!!!!
No experience here. I don't think I will have any time soon, it does not suit my performance situations.
WOW! Just, WOW!

REVIEW: OUTSTANDING!!
Nate Staniforth’s Lottery Ticket illusion is absolutely fantastic – It’s one of the most exceptional magical performance routines I have seen. I bought it recently, and I'm so glad I did. I say this with honest objectivity, because I don’t know Nate Staniforth. Before buying this effect, I had never communicated with him.

When considering placing my order, I thought his video demo was extraordinary, and saw the effect as a perfect solution for something I had been seeking. I also found the Q&A on his web site very helpful to make my purchasing decision. After placing my order, I was impressed by a thoughtful email he sent, saying how important it was to him that I would be happy with it.

It arrived quickly, and I was immediately pleased with the high quality of the book and the great color photos. As I read, I was excited by his creativity and approach, and with the 'flight-time' it must have taken to evolve the concepts so thoroughly. I was happy with the great clarity and detail in his instructions, as well as the flexibility of the multiple methods provided. I was motivated by the potential this routine has, as presented, and as I might evolve it should I choose. The fact that it’s a limited release is a great added bonus.

Since receiving this, I have successfully performed it, and was perfectly thrilled with the reactions!

EXPERIENCE: EXPLOSIVE!!
I don't do magic for a living. As my day job, I lead a company that develops and manages apartments. I'm also an enthusiastic magic fan and hobbyist, and although I have many years as a magic collector and appreciator, I have limited experience as a performer. I have public speaking and stage experience, but no stage magic experience. Nevertheless, I purchased Lottery Ticket with the hope of doing my 1st ever real stage magic performance.

We recently conducted our company's annual educational and inspirational meetings. I wanted to anchor certain points about our company strategy and our meeting's theme, and I wanted to utilize magic to do it – something that would have the potential for megatons of WOW.

So, in front of 150 of my people, including all my senior leaders, I put my neck out there, in the hands of this fantastic routine and my amateur skills (not so amateur that I'd put the method at risk, but amateur enough that I was admittedly nervous).

Upon the reveal, I got screams and a spontaneous standing O, and the thrill of pulling it off felt like getting struck by lightning! My people exploded with excitement as my volunteer read the numbers to the audience, but as wonderful as it was for them, I knew it was even more wonderful for me.

I sincerely appreciate Nate’s amazing creativity, and that he is willing to share it through this effect with a small group in this way. I'm very excited to be part of it!
[quote]
On 2012-06-17 21:40, Magic J wrote:
WOW! Just, WOW!

REVIEW: OUTSTANDING!!
Nate Staniforth’s Lottery Ticket illusion is absolutely fantastic – It’s one of the most exceptional magical performance routines I have seen. I bought it recently, and I'm so glad I did. I say this with honest objectivity, because I don’t know Nate Staniforth. Before buying this effect, I had never communicated with him.

When considering placing my order, I thought his video demo was extraordinary, and saw the effect as a perfect solution for something I had been seeking. I also found the Q&A on his web site very helpful to make my purchasing decision. After placing my order, I was impressed by a thoughtful email he sent, saying how important it was to him that I would be happy with it.

It arrived quickly, and I was immediately pleased with the high quality of the book and the great color photos. As I read, I was excited by his creativity and approach, and with the 'flight-time' it must have taken to evolve the concepts so thoroughly. I was happy with the great clarity and detail in his instructions, as well as the flexibility of the multiple methods provided. I was motivated by the potential this routine has, as presented, and as I might evolve it should I choose. The fact that it’s a limited release is a great added bonus.

Since receiving this, I have successfully performed it, and was perfectly thrilled with the reactions!

EXPERIENCE: EXPLOSIVE!!
I don't do magic for a living. As my day job, I lead a company that develops and manages apartments. I'm also an enthusiastic magic fan and hobbyist, and although I have many years as a magic collector and appreciator, I have limited experience as a performer. I have public speaking and stage experience, but no stage magic experience. Nevertheless, I purchased Lottery Ticket with the hope of doing my 1st ever real stage magic performance.

We recently conducted our company's annual educational and inspirational meetings. I wanted to anchor certain points about our company strategy and our meeting's theme, and I wanted to utilize magic to do it – something that would have the potential for megatons of WOW.

So, in front of 150 of my people, including all my senior leaders, I put my neck out there, in the hands of this fantastic routine and my amateur skills (not so amateur that I'd put the method at risk, but amateur enough that I was admittedly nervous).

Upon the reveal, I got screams and a spontaneous standing O, and the thrill of pulling it off felt like getting struck by lightning! My people exploded with excitement as my volunteer read the numbers to the audience, but as wonderful as it was for them, I knew it was even more wonderful for me.

I sincerely appreciate Nate’s amazing creativity, and that he is willing to share it through this effect with a small group in this way. I'm very excited to be part of it!
[/quote]

When performed correctly this effect will never be forgotten. How many effects fall into that category?
Just re-read this for the 3rd time and it really is awesome the amount of inspiration you can get from this for other effects!

Also just found out that there are only 30 copies left of the 150, so glad I got mine!

Thanks again Nate for releasing such a great book!
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 13:48, MagicOzzy wrote:
Just re-read this for the 3rd time and it really is awesome the amount of inspiration you can get from this for other effects!

Also just found out that there are only 30 copies left of the 150, so glad I got mine!

[/quote]

As an owner of this great book, I look forward to when I hear that the last 30 copies are sold and it is no longer availiable
Agreed with brehaut
:applause:

[quote]
On 2012-07-14 11:57, brehaut wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 13:48, MagicOzzy wrote:

[/quote]

As an owner of this great book, I look forward to when I hear that the last 30 copies are sold and it is no longer availiable
[/quote]
Would love to get this, but looking into it, it looks like this is only feasable with US lottery tickets. Can someone pm
whether this is the case or does the method make it feasable for international lottery tickets too, like Euromillions or UK lotto See link. Love to hear that it does...

http://www.interlotto.com/news/img/aug2007b.jpg

Cheers Guys
Hi Michael, There is a method contained within that can accommodate virtually any type or style of lottery ticket.
22 left. These last copies are shifting rather slowly. I too am looking forward to this book selling out.
[quote]
On 2012-07-23 16:52, Dave Nic wrote:
22 left. These last copies are shifting rather slowly. I too am looking forward to this book selling out.
[/quote]

Actually to me it seems like it has sold very quickly for this type of thing. The book has even inspired me to create my own effect which is the subject in a thread in Penny for your Thoughts (Price for effect is the name of the thread). My effect has absolutely nothing to do with the Lottery Illusion method. However, it was inspired by Neil's words and views on magic and mentalism. It truely changed the way I thought about mentalism and what is possible.
I continue to absolutely treasure my book. To me, it is priceless. I will not part with it at any price.

Regards,
Mike
I also used it differently, more like a confabulation routine. At the end, I take from my wallet a ticket, on it it's the exact show name, date, hour and seat number choose by spectators! And it's a real printed ticket!
I am performing The Lottery Ticket, as well as, variations of it, but the book has also inspired me to come up with something else that is "impossible" in the mind of the spectator. My customized routine that I have created takes blood, sweat, and tears, but that type of effort does not go unnoticed to the spectator. In fact, this preparation is what creates the "impossibility" factor for the person witnessing the event. The Lottery Ticket Illusion is genius in this regard.

Regards,
Mike
Wonder what the update is on how many of these are left?
I think they may all be sold. A week ago there were 11 left. Nowise can't find the webbuy link where one would normally purchase..
Not all sold yet. There are only 9 left, as I just purchased the 10th one left. Am glad to get this under the wire.

John
Ignore my above post. And I apologise for my sleeping error in the above. I blame auto correct and there doesn't seem to be an edit option from my mobile.

I found the wepay link. Looks as though there are 9 copies of The Lottery Illusion left.
Ignore my above post. And I apologise for my sleeping error in the above. I blame auto correct and there doesn't seem to be an edit option from my mobile.

I found the wepay link. Looks as though there are 9 copies of The Lottery Illusion left.
As of today there are actually ONLY 10 left, per Nate!

I too will be excited when this amazing book is sold out & congrats to those who got one!

-DM
With 10 left my hunch is sales will accelerate
I'm very happy for sure that I did secure mine...
:)
Quick question about performing this in a small group setting.
Would there be any problems doing this in a setting where you have eyes on you at all times during the performance?
Is it still possible to do this single handed?
Thanks
doug
If your heart so desired the lottery illusion could easily be performed in a small group setting. What do you mean when you say 'in a setting where you have eyes on you at all times during the performance? Hopefully the spectators are looking at you the whole time or I really think this effect would loose its impact. There would be no problems performing this in a small group setting.

Is it possible to do this single handed? I think anything would be harder if you only had one hand. I am lucky enough to still have both of my hands an use both everytime I perform. I guess this could be done single handed. How long have you only had one hand for? If it has been your entire life and you have had some performing experiance I would say you would be good enough to make this work for you.

Cheers,

Dave.
[quote]
On 2012-08-12 19:58, Dave Nic wrote:
If your heart so desired the lottery illusion could easily be performed in a small group setting. What do you mean when you say 'in a setting where you have eyes on you at all times during the performance? Hopefully the spectators are looking at you the whole time or I really think this effect would loose its impact. There would be no problems performing this in a small group setting.

Is it possible to do this single handed? I think anything would be harder if you only had one hand. I am lucky enough to still have both of my hands an use both everytime I perform. I guess this could be done single handed. How long have you only had one hand for? If it has been your entire life and you have had some performing experiance I would say you would be good enough to make this work for you.

Cheers,

Dave.
[/quote]

I agree with Dave. If you put in the effort, you can make this work
1 copy left....please if you have bought this keep it that way, and don't let it escape to the merely inquisitive...
[quote]
On 2012-08-14 15:02, Michael Clifton wrote:
1 copy left....please if you have bought this keep it that way, and don't let it escape to the merely inquisitive...
[/quote]

Could not agree more. We have all made a sizeable investment. I would hope no one who would purchase this would let one nugget of information out.
SOLD OUT
Recently received my copy, and devoured the book. Will re-read a few times. Some very inspiring passages and thoughts in this book, in addition to the incredible effect and detailed analysis and instructions provided. Looking forward to more writings by Mr. Staniforth.
Alright, now that it's sold out, there's nothing to see here. Everyone please move along...
CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Was totally not paying attention and missed this...Just saw today this was being release!
I snoozed then I loozed..............................
[quote]
On 2012-08-16 16:34, magic_man_jim wrote:
CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Was totally not paying attention and missed this...Just saw today this was being release!
[/quote]

appreciate your honesty :)
I, for one, am very pleased that this book has completely sold out. The ideas it provides are of immeasurable value.

Regards,
Mike
May this thread rest in peace.

- Dave
Just saw a copy of this go at 350$ ! I Hope I could afford this!
If anyone who has bought this book and is still looking to perform this effect in a certain way mentioned in the book, I have what you need to perform this at a big discounted price so if your interested please get in contact with me with specific details of what that certain thing is and I will give you more details - sorry for being cryptic but I think its necessary.

my email address is: dbaline_insane@hotmail.com

kind regards

Simon
A few people have now mentioned they have a "certain something" for sale. Just a warning to those who have bought the book, this could be a type of 'phishing' scam.

I'd suggest anyone looking to buy/sell this purported 'thing' verify that both the buyer and seller are in possession of the book. ie. Both should be able to tell each other certain words on certain pages. ie. What's the first word of the 5th sentence on page X.

Also, I'm guessing Nate has kept track of who bought what book. You could possibly verify through Nate that you are both owners of the book.

If it were up to me, I would lock this thread at this point to prevent further posts and possible exposure.
[quote]

If it were up to me, I would lock this thread at this point to prevent further posts and possible exposure.
[/quote]
I wouldn't worry about exposure, as the principals behind this kind of "backstage prep", "onstage prep", "double switch" effect are decades, if not centuries old. ("oh look, somebody is bringing a microphone onstage to use later").

Most of the posts in this thread are by folks who've already bought the book trying [i]very hard[/i] to feel good about purchasing it.
I'm sure the majority of the folks on the Café are pleased that you're all happy with your purchase, but it also seems that most posting to this thread are seriously prone to overstatement as to the "exclusivity" of the information they believe they now possess.

Most serious magicians and/or mentalists are already very well versed in this type of methodology (methodologies actually, as there are multiple methods that can be used to accomplish the effect(s) referenced in this book).

Congratulations to those who bought the book, and please DO enjoy your book (but unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement).
100% spot on, Artie.
Artie, I do admire your thinking, But If it was only based on Methodologies that were known to most Mentalist/magicians, Then it wouldnt have been priced at such a High price!It does involve a New principle which can be modified to do many Impossible effects & all those who own the book definitely wouldnt want to hint other about it!
You may be confusing what knowledge you personally possessed before you purchased the book, and what knowledge a number of people you don't know, and have never met might already have.

It is important to enjoy your purchases though, which you obviously do!
All the best.
[quote]
On 2012-08-24 17:38, Artie Fufkin wrote:
You may be confusing what knowledge you personally possessed before you purchased the book, and what knowledge a number of people you don't know, and have never met might already have.

It is important to enjoy your purchases though, which you obviously do!
All the best.
[/quote]

I don't want to discuss the method but Artie one thing you may have noticed in the posts by the purchasers (including me) is that we got much much more out of the book than just the Lottery Illusion. The book has had a profound effect on many of its owners. I know you have stated that you believe this is people rationalizing their purchase but keep in mind two things: 1) I have purchased a lot of mentalism in my time. Trust me--I have been taken to the cleaners before and did not try to rationalize it. If I didn't think this was special, I wouldn't say it was the case and 2) it may be possible that people who bought it and posted their feelings are just being honest. Just my 2 cents.
Brehaut, I wan't being at all glib when I stated that not only is it important to enjoy ones purchase generally, but that I was pleased to see people felt thIs purchase specifically was one of the best they'd recently made.

And although that doesn't change my initial point about endless overstatement from obvious newcomers, I'll give you that sometimes excitement takes over and overstatement follows.

I believe that the tendency to equate "high cost" or exclusivity with quality in magic is all too common, and rarely, if ever accurate.
I also believe that to blindly presume (I'm certainly not talking about you here) that one can "know" what level of knowledge any given serious and experienced magician or mentalist might have sans the need to purchase any more books implies inexperience.

I do hear what you're saying though, in that the book contains much more for its readers than just the Lottery Illusion.
Artie, it's obvious that you did not buy the book. So, how can you say that the methodolgies are common knowledge amongst well read magicians/mentalists if you don't actually know what's in the book?

I can only assume that your statement "unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement" was directed at me since you posted immediately after me. It looks like you joined the Café in 2010 and have racked up 236 posts. I joined in '04 and this is my 20th post. Why the discrepancy? Well, I've been too busy performing for a living.

Not looking to start an argument. Just wanted to point out that number of posts don't necessarily correlate to the experience level of the performer/poster.

Based on my average and the fact that this is my 2nd post in 3 days, expect my next post in 10 months. ;-)
Nah, I commented on your post only about not worrying about exposure Brian, but beyond that I wasn't referring to you at all.
(as a matter of fact I thought your warning about folks fishing for information was 100% spot on.)

Much like "high price" and "exclusivity", things like "post count" and "year joined" have [i]nothing[/i] to do with [i]anything[/i] IMO.

I really don't need the book in my hands to comment on the principals and methodologies behind the various effects referenced in it.
Although the book may be excellent, and the readers and owners may feel the presentations to be groundbreaking, the concept of buying a book to buy a secret(s), and if you don't have the book you don't have the secret(s) is [i]highly presumptuous[/i] to say the least.
(it's probably worth noting that I'm not at all laying claim to the ability to repeat the contents of the book verbatim, nor am I claiming to be in possession of each and every nugget contained within the book).

That you may feel the need to buy the book in order to better clarify those same principals and methods, [i]and[/i] that you enjoy your purchase is strictly your business, much as my own comments and concerns are my business, but regardless, I commend you on making a purchase you feel good about making.
I'm sorry some folks, such as Artie, were unable to acquire a copy of this book. The bottom line is that the book is excellent and the insights are groundbreaking. In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it to uncover each and every nugget (which is pure gold, by the way) contained within the book.

Regards,
Mike
Don't feel sorry for me Mike, I was never in the market for the book, or the information contained within.

That kind of thinking put forth in Nate's book is well established, with some of the concepts over 100 years old.

I would disagree only slightly with your statement that [i]In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it[/i] , and I would re-state it as "[i]if you purchased this book, then you understand the cash value of it"[/i]

But in the end, enjoying your book is all that matters.
Hi Artie,

Agreed that enjoying the book is something that truly matters---but this book has done more than just provide enjoyment. Indeed, it has educated, entertained, and inspired...yes, INSPIRED, its readers. And I do stand by my statement that in order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it. Nonetheless, I accept your own opinion regarding the book from a non-owner perspective.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On 2012-09-04 12:02, insight wrote:
Hi Artie,

Agreed that enjoying the book is something that truly matters---but this book has done more than just provide enjoyment. Indeed, it has educated, entertained, and inspired...yes, INSPIRED, its readers. And I do stand by my statement that in order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it. Nonetheless, I accept your own opinion regarding the book from a non-owner perspective.

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-09-04 10:07, Artie Fufkin wrote:
Don't feel sorry for me Mike, I was never in the market for the book, or the information contained within.

That kind of thinking put forth in Nate's book is well established, with some of the concepts over 100 years old.

I would disagree only slightly with your statement that [i]In order to understand the true value of this book, one must own it[/i] , and I would re-state it as "[i]if you purchased this book, then you understand the cash value of it"[/i]

But in the end, enjoying your book is all that matters.
[/quote]

I would quarrel with the statement about the concepts being a 100 year old. Almost any effect someone could say that. This effect does not strike me as something I would describe as being around for years.
Without getting into excessive detail, I'd suggest that in this case (as in many cases) the "effect" is something the spectators experience [i]only[/i] in their own minds.
Nate's "effect" is no doubt unique to the various background activities used to generate a final result.

What I've been referring to is the [i]methods and principals[/i] used to prepare the billet itself, and then get that appropriate billet to the right place onstage, and then into the spectators hands for the final phase of the "effect" to take place.

But it matters not!, as the book is completely sold out (according to the author, never to be re-released) and only a few copies to date have shown up for re-sale.
I would posit that for those who might want to perform something similar to this, they're on their own to research and ultimately to routine something of their own invention, and no doubt unique "effect".
I am an owner of this book. It's time to put to rest the posting of hints, possibilities, 'past methods', etc!
@guyactor
I am also an owner of this book.
I agree with you.
So why make this post?
The last post was almost two months ago...
Your comment only brings the subject back up again.
Let this thread die.
[quote]
On 2012-08-23 18:02, Artie Fufkin wrote:

I wouldn't worry about exposure, as the principals behind this kind of "backstage prep", "onstage prep", "double switch" effect are decades, if not centuries old. ("oh look, somebody is bringing a microphone onstage to use later").

Most of the posts in this thread are by folks who've already bought the book trying [i]very hard[/i] to feel good about purchasing it.
I'm sure the majority of the folks on the Café are pleased that you're all happy with your purchase, but it also seems that most posting to this thread are seriously prone to overstatement as to the "exclusivity" of the information they believe they now possess.

Most serious magicians and/or mentalists are already very well versed in this type of methodology (methodologies actually, as there are multiple methods that can be used to accomplish the effect(s) referenced in this book).

Congratulations to those who bought the book, and please DO enjoy your book (but unless you want to betray yourself as a total newb, chill on the overstatement).
[/quote]

OK - I'm usually pretty hopeless at working out magic tricks but have just watched the video a few times and have to agree that there doesn't seem to be much mystery to this one. We all know real magic doesn't exist and there is a method to everything. Given the additional spend required and an assistant I think it's pretty obvious how this is done. As for the book providing a new level of enlightenment - maybe - I guess I'll never know but think that Artie may have hit the nail right on the head here.
[quote]
On 2012-11-20 14:44, zoltan wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-23 18:02, Artie Fufkin wrote:

[/quote]

OK - I'm usually pretty hopeless at working out magic tricks but have just watched the video a few times and have to agree that there doesn't seem to be much mystery to this one. We all know real magic doesn't exist and there is a method to everything. Given the additional spend required and an assistant I think it's pretty obvious how this is done. As for the book providing a new level of enlightenment - maybe - I guess I'll never know but think that Artie may have hit the nail right on the head here.
[/quote]

If you are hopeless at working out magic tricks but think you know all about this one, Im guessing you are wrong. But hopefully you will use your knoweldge and perform this. It is something that spectators remember for the rest of their lives.
This is a great effect, very clean.

If you don't have the money to spend on this plus the special device, may I suggest picking up Scott Creaseys Psi-Lotto, available from Library.com.

Just brilliant!

You can use a genuine lotto ticket as well.

Thanks

Alex
I wish I had gotten a copy. It looks great. Maybe it will get re release one day