(Close Window)
Topic: Climax for sponge ball routine
I'd be very interested to hear what others are using as a climax to a sponge ball routine - specifically to use in a strolling (no table) situation, and also for banquets. A disappearance of all the balls seems to feature in many routines but appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish). Conversely the appearance of lots and lots of balls is very surprising, but I'm getting fed up of the small balls going everywhere including the floor and under the tables and chairs. I need a magically strong, surprising climax that is easy to carry around, is controllable (i.e. dooesn't fall on the floor, in the food etc) and is instanly resettable ?

Any ideas ????
DJ, I put the balls back into the closup pad whence they came
After 1 ball moves from my hand to the spectators to join the one they are holding I just put them away. I found a sponge bone that I am trying to work into my routine so that under the pretense of repeating the last effect they open there hand and find a bone. you could always use a growing sponge ball as a conclusion.
[quote]
On 2003-10-08 17:23, D J Hawkins wrote:
A disappearance of all the balls ... appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish). I need a magically strong, surprising climax that is easy to carry around, is controllable (i.e. dooesn't fall on the floor, in the food etc) and is instanly resettable ?

[/quote]

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with that first statement. A vanish of all three balls at the end of my routine may well be the strongest thing you can do. Further, a vanish is VERY powerful, and a WONDERFUL thing to end on. Magically weak? I just can't see that.

Otherwise, my routine, "Peanut, Butter and Jelly" fits all your other requirements. It all fits in one pocket, it flows logically, the routine comes full circle and you are instantly reset.
I think Scott's routine is great. I have it on his excellent dvd.
If you wanted to avoid a vanish at the climax, Lewis Ganson's sponge ball routine from his Routined Manipulations books (forget which one of the three) has color changes and climaxes with a sponge to potato transformation!
Jim
I use the growing sponge ball. The actual growing kind not the compressed big ball.

It resets in about 3 seconds and you can sometimes do it right in front of the audience.

That being said, Scott's routine is excellent. Check it out!
I place 2 balls into the spectator's hand, then telling them that one ball is 'male', the other is 'female'. I ask if they know why I know that, and I say "babies". They open their hand to reveal 2 normal size balls, and 10 'baby balls'. That usually is good enough to end with.
To answer DJ's original question, I use Scott Guinn's PB&J but when I don't have that extra "something", a version of Carl Andrew's "eeny,meeny routine works really well. You can find it in one of his lecture notes or the tape, "Magic from Mauie" (I think) :dance:
[quote]
(I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish).
[/quote]

That's interesting -- what is the theory behind that? (Might make a good Food for Thought discussion.)

Personally, I've found vanishes very effective, whether using Scott's PB&J, a two-in-the-hand routine, or any other routine with sponges. The spectator is expecting me to produce another sponge, and they're watching to see how I sneak it in, then blammo! -- I shatter their expectations. When someone thinks they have you figured out, and then you completely turn the tables on them, they think they've seen real magic.
I use sponge words like "Go Go Gone," "Take my Word for it," and "Then There Were Four." I also have multiple bunnies/ladybugs show up too at times. For some adults I use "Ding Dong."
I always use the routine from Mark Leveridge Master Routines in every show I do, regardless of the audience (kids, family, adults). A superbly structured worker routine. I just vary a few lines that have surfaced over the years. It's no great shakes to other magi but it gets a tremendous response from laymen. The balls unexpectedly finish in the spectators hands instead of yours. Just three balls are used, no mini's, no giants.
I vanish all the balls at the end of my routine. The spectators truly believe that there are two balls in my hand at that time. There is great impact at this point.
Barry,

"Never end your act on a Vanish" is generally attributed to Dai Vernon. The thought is that a vanish causes the audience to wonder two things: Where did it go? and Will it return? Both lines of inquiry tend to cause people to suspend their response, in the latter case because they are wondering if you're going to make the vanished object reappear.

The fact of the matter is that these problems are not difficult to overcome, and if the audience's expectations are properly managed, they will realize that the objects are gone for good. (ref: Copperfield's closing number vanishing members of the audience)

It is a rule, like the rule against heresay, "more often honored in its breach than its observance." But is is a good thing to consider if, upon vanishing something, you're not getting the response you anticipated.
Not to spoil anyone who hasn't seen DC's show, but he makes them reappear BEHIND the audience members :)

so perhaps you could find some way to make them reappear? if not, TRANSFORM them into smoething else. like one ball changes into a bottle cap or coin? I dunno...
See the July, 1983 Genii magazine, the Magicana column by Charlie Miller. It details one of the best sponge ball effects ever published. A funny, thetrical presentation, based on Patrick Martins marketed effect "Clones", but fixed up so that it really plays. It also contains suggestions for personalizing the material, and a sponge ball vanish that looks like real magic, not a move.

As to the "growing ball" effect, I don't know how most of you do this, but I have done it under a handkerchief for years. It has a spooky effect if you do this: Apparently put the standard size ball in the center of a handkerchief, gather the corners in one hand and twist the handkerchief into a rope, sort of. This leaves you with a small ball in the center of the cloth, and you are holding the ends twisted into the rope-like tail of the handkerchief. If you release pressure on the ends slowly, as you shake the whole thing, the ball appears to grow within the handkerchief. The visible growth is spooky looking! By the way, you are holding the thing in your left hand. The right hand is free to cop another production item. I use a bottle of dish soap. Once the ball has completely expanded (I use a 5 inch ball), you grab the ball through the top of the handkerchief and turn the whole thing over, tossing the handkerchief over the right hand (and the bottle of dishsoap you have copped as they are watching the ball grow), to reveal the big sponge ball. This is quite a surprise. You say something like "this is good for all sorts of things, but I've trained the kids to do the dishes with it. Of course if you want the job done right, you need this too!" Grab the bottle thru the handkerchief and reverse the previous process, turning the hand over and tossing the handkerchief over the left hand and revealing the bottle. This is a simple adaptation of an old coin production idea that appears in many books, including Bobo, as I recall. Adjust the talk lines to suit the situation, and change the final production item to whatever you want, what's important is that the "growth" is great misdirection for stealing anything short of an elephant, so steal away ...

Best, PSC
Paul, I believe the production you mentioned is creditted to Jack Chanin.

I would like to hear some more about the Charlie Miller article, or is there somewhere we can pick up back issues of Genii - as far back as 1983?
The two sponge routines I do have a built in ending.. Sponge Four.. and Sponge Bunnies.

Sponge Four ends with 4 pieces of sponge, combining to form the number Four. I then like to do Ray Kosby's follow up effect where you "rip" it up into 4 pieces again to reset.

Sponge Bunnies, which I consider to be a stronger effect, probably the strongest piece of magic in my entire repetoire, is perfectly lovely ending with the production of the family. I did it that way for years, always got a great response. However an extra kicker I've been using these days is to blow up one of the babies like a balloon into a jumbo. explaining that they start off cute and small, but like all babies, before you know it they grow up on you.
I usually will produce some sponge donuts or eggs. Kids love it. Ladybugs have been a big hit with kids too. BTW, Scott's PB&J is excellent!!

[quote]
On 2003-10-09 15:13, Isramagia wrote:
a version of Carl Andrew's "eeny,meeny routine works really well. You can find it in one of his lecture notes or the tape, "Magic from Mauie" (I think) :dance:
[/quote]

It's on Carl Andews' Cups and Balls DVD. He concludes the cups and balls with this sponge routine.
Well, now you have me thinking about my ending. I'm not sure I should modify but I'll think about it...

Currently, to end, I finish with the appearance of another ball. BUT.........

...I've taken advice from someone here at the Café (who has never revealed themselves) and I do the following ...

I have two balls in play (3rd fingerpalmmed) and I tell person #1 to "squeeze both of these into her hand" (person #2).

So, unbeknownst to them, person #1 squeezes 3 balls into the hands of person #2.

I'm nowhere near.

I use the word "squeeze" on purpose for obvious reasons.

The appearance of 3 balls in #2's hands is hard to beat especially since #1 JUST gave her 2 balls.

I urge you all to put a phase into your routines where person 1 gives person 2 an extra ball.

It's fun to listen to the 2 people discussing the event afterwards...
"Did you feel 3?"... NO.
"Did you just have 2?"... YES.
"Did you feel it happen"... NO

DOING MAGIC FROM AFAR IS VERY POWERFUL!

Now.... which one of you diners at the Café gave me this idea??????

Frank

p.s. I have been caught just once but the person #1 did not say anything except to me privately afterwards.. "I saw 3 balls". I think that #1 was so excited about what #2 was going to find out that they were happy just to be in on it.

Try it you'll like it.
You can do the push in vanish right after you do the pinch or TWO SPONGE BALLS in the spectator's hand...

and right after the push in vanish, you can make it reappear anywhere you want (?)

I dunno, I have four balls, but have only used 2 whenever I perform it.

:)
Giday DJ

I have been practising my 4 ball routine (really seems like 3 balls to the spectator). I carried it around Indonesia for 3 weeks in July and performed to heaps of enthusiastic people who forced me to tidy it up in record time.

My routine is a mixtuire of the intro from the box (Magic by Gosh") and the extended routine from Wilson's Cyclopedia that finishes with a vanish. I have appreciated the discussion on the value of a vanish at the end and from my own experience I lean toward the positive impact of the vanish gauged by the response of my spectators.

Recently I have been introduced to some possibilities to vary the finish including a square sponge block that transforms into a dinosour. The concept of the growing ball in the cloth mentioned by PSC is something I will consider down the line.

Thankyou all for an interesting discourse.

Troppo Bob :magicrabbit:
I use a basic squeeker after I am done (whether with the balls or the bunnies). It provides excellent humor and gets some great laughs.
[quote]
*A disappearance of all the balls seems to feature in many routines but appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish).

**Conversely the appearance of lots and lots of balls is very surprising, but I'm getting fed up of the small balls going everywhere including the floor and under the tables and chairs.

***I need a magically strong, surprising climax that is easy to carry around, is controllable (i.e. dooesn't fall on the floor, in the food etc) and is instanly resettable ?
[/quote]

*To me it all depends on what I am doing. I see no problem why certain tricks should end with a vanish (a tank, sponges, radios, etc.). But I do see why others should never end up with a vanish (people, statues, animals, etc.). Dealing with sponges, it's on you. If you feel uncomfortable ending with a vanishing method, no problem.

**Try rabbits. They don't roll like the balls. They stay put.

***I transfer rabbits into words, ladybugs and other objects. Sometimes I end the rountine by having the transfered object vanish. For example: I place a rabbit in someone's hand asking is it gone yet? When they open their hand the rabbit turned into the word "Gone." I'm handing the word "Gone" to the spectator. The word vanished before it got to their hand. I say, "Oh, now it really is gone." try purchasing Patrick Paige's video with sponges or Scott Guinn's dvd with Peanut, Butter & Jelly. You will learn a lot more.
I agree that vanishing the balls at the end is very strong. I use that sometimes and other times produce a dozen small balls.
I also like using a squeeker with my routine.
Also I always produce my first ball from a purse frame.
It always gets a good reaction if you know the move to show it and your hands empty.
I've always had sponges in my collection of accessories but never made a performable routine. Where can some good routines be learnt?

I see Scott's (I'm assuming Guinn) is liked by many.

Damien.
I used to use Gosh's "purseframe" routine until I actually sat down and studied Wilson's "Cyclopedia" routine and discovered I liked it better. (Beats carrying around the purseframe.)

I discovered if I reversed one of the three "two in one hand, one in the pocket" sequences, I end up with three balls in the right pocket and one in the left instead of all four in the right pocket. This gives me a perfect re-set!

I thought the buildup of finding three in your hands twice and then finding [none] in your hands the last time was a perfect climax. To me is also signals the end of the routine; "Props gone! Routine over!"

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. :bg:
Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia routine is the best, IMO :)

Dan Watkins on http://www.coinvanish.com has a routine called STICKY COINS in his videos section based on the same concept and pretty much uses the same principles ;)

remember what you want audiences to think your climax to be but NOT what it actually will be. think: david Copperfield's LOTTO PREDICTION ILLUSION ;) ;)

don't forget the element of surprise, gentlemen! :ohyes:
[quote]
. A disappearance of all the balls seems to feature in many routines but appears magically weak to me (I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish). [/quote]

In general I've always thought that almost any effect that ends on a vanish can be a good thing, for a couple of reasons.

1) It's visually stunning. Especially if the audience doesn't suspect it's coming.

2) It's a perfect applause cue. The spectators know the effect is over, and can react accordingly.

I would be interested,however, in knowing the reasons you've heard for not ending a routine on a vanish.

Thanks,

Curtis
How about spongeball ends up on your nose.
I did this impromptu this past weekend just for fun and it got a lot of laughs.

Not good for every situation but it can work.
[quote]I have been caught just once but the person #1 did not say anything except to me privately afterwards.. "I saw 3 balls". I think that #1 was so excited about what #2 was going to find out that they were happy just to be in on it.
[/quote]

Well, I have been caught loading 2 balls in a specs hand. A good idea is to "practice" with them first. let them squeeze ONE ball real tight in their hands as you put it in, because you will make it disappear from their hands. Tell them not to leave a single gap from their hands.

You have 2 balls on the table.

Let them "squeeze" each and ask them which one do they like? whatever they say, you execute the FINGERPALM VANISH MOVE for the one ball, execute the TWO-BALL PINCH and load the two and tell them NOT to leave the slightest gap or opening as you will attempt to make the ball in her hand disapear.

Next, you gracefully open your left hand or both hands for that matter to show that your ball has vanished. Ask your spec if her sponge ball is starting to "dissolve" naturally she will say no, tell her to squeeze HARDER, (if you like to prolong the effect) then later on tell her to open both hands. the ball didn't disappear, but the ball in your hand has magically transposed to hers! :bg:

And that's the element of surprise, gentlemen. ;)
I was doing a routine once in a semi-dark theatre. (It wasn't professional; my wife was performing in a show and I was showing off after the actual play.) I did the routine up to the point where you cover each ball with a hand and they end up both in the right hand. Everything was going fine until I opened my hand to show the balls which promptly shot out of my hand and under the bleacher-like seats! Never saw them again and had to order a new set! :bawl:
I used to end with a regular size sponge ball that visibly expanded into a large sponge ball. The audience thought the effect was over, but I then switched the large sponge ball for a "shot put" that was the same size but covered in a red substance to make it look the same as the large sponge ball. Let the shot put drop on the table and you have quite a surprise.

Larry D.
Anyone know if Martin's "Clones," are still available? If so, where? I used to love working with them.
Richard
Let the spongeball transform into a big cube or something really big in their hands!
I think this would hit me very strong if I were a layman :crazydude:
I've often used the multiple ball ending, but recently I've been playing with a giant sponge red hand (You can fill in the jokes this can end with). I love those little worlds of mine.

-Daniel GreenWolf
Haven't touched sponge balls in long while, but have an idea for a closer.

Have the sponge balls turn into billiard balls at the end...if you got really creative you could probably paint them up to look like sponge balls. Thus, when you drop them on the table and get a "thud" the spec is :wow:
I wrote earlier about a ball ending on my nose. This worked but I'm looking for a good misdirection idea for this. Any ideas?
I also read somewhere that small children find it disturbing when things disappear and don't return.
Re: unusual sponge stuff. I made up some sponge 'stones' the other day and was going to pull one out of my shoe as I believe Looy Simonoff does, but instead I pulled a 'stone' from a child's ear (oldest trick in the book just about) and started producing them from other places and did my sponge routine with 'sponge' rocks. It went down a hoot with the children I was performing it for. It's easy to make the props,a bit offbeat and for some reason people assume that sponge stones don't compress even though the material they're made of is pretty obvious. Also you can pull a rock the size of your fist out of a child's ear if you compress it well (er, the rock that is).
[quote]
On 2003-12-08 16:26, Frank Starsini wrote:
I wrote earlier about a ball ending on my nose. This worked but I'm looking for a good misdirection idea for this. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Close's Clones
Stephen Bargatze has a hilarious sponge ball routine using two spectators. In the end, one spectator has one large ball and the other has lots of mini ones. I like the idea of using two spectators and having the magic happen between them as opposed to between you and one spectator.
Close's Clones is a great trick and I'm sure Frank is familiar with it but once again it's a wildcard routine. If you're just doing sponge balls, I'd just cough a few times throughout the perfomance covering your mouth. Setting up for the ending. It's the simple things that work...also no stronger misdirection than when the two balls appear in the spec's hand...especially after the first spec gave them to the second ( I love that idea Frank). Or you could wear a sign on your back that says WOW! And ask the audience any time they like what they see just shout out WOW! and turn to give them the clue. You could use the turn for applause cue a few times and put it on the nose then. Just some ideas. But, I've always been a fan of NOT turning my back on an audience and having the magic happen by my face so they always associate my face with the magic that's happening.
How about ending with lemons :) Just a joke...it works well with cups and balls LOL

John
Look up Mardo's routine for the growing sponge ball. It uses no gimmicks and the spectator gets the idea that it happens in his hand, even though it doesn't.

This forum is too public to tip the method.
[quote]
On 2003-10-27 17:31, David Le wrote:
[quote]
well, I have been caught loading 2 balls in a specs hand. you see, that guy had BIG hands and my balls were small, I guess I didn't let him squeeze it hard enough :)

a good idea is to "practice" with them first. let them squeeze ONE ball real tight in their hands as you put it in, because you will make it disappear from thier hands. tell them not to leave a single gap from their hands.

so you have 2 balls on the table.

let them "squeeze" each and ask them which one do they like?
[/quote]
Wow...that really makes me sweat!

John
I also use Scott Guinn's Peanut Butter and Jelly routine. It's fantastic and the vanish of the balls is a great way to finish - comes as a total surprise. The following is really not necessary with Guinn's routine, but I am curious. In Ammar's sponge bunny routine that comes with the Gosh bunnies, he suggests hiding one of the bunnies under one's armpit. I wonder if that could be adapted to a sponge ball routine - as a way to show the hands empty and produce a ball from the purse frame at the beginning. Requires a small setup of placing the ball under the armpit but it seems like it would be convincing. Has anyone tried it?
Thanks.
Richard
Use of the armpit as a "holdout" is a very old idea and not original to Ammar. I've used it in a number of effects, for example, to accomplish a final load in a chop cup routine. While the armpit could be used to facilitate production of a sponge ball from a purse frame, I think that use of a Sanada gimmick makes the production look even cleaner.

Regards, Larry D.
Greg Wilson uses the armpit idea on his on the spot tapes for two napkin routines. Using the armpit as a holdout is a great idea, especially for sponges.
Greg Wilson calls his version the "Pit Stop".

Hey, ya can't just invent something without devising a memorable name for it you know. :lol:

Best,
Bill
I have to say, Scott Guinn's Peanut Butter and Jelley converted me over. I was always looking for the "Holy Grail" of Sponge Ball effects ( Like I do with card to wallet, etc.)
If you're interested in use of the armpit as a holdout, you should check out some of Apollo Robbins' work...he uses a spectator's armpit as a holdout!

Larry D.
I take three sponge balls and push them into my hand and turn them into, er... the spectators watch!

I have found no ending to a sponge ball to be so strong reactionwise.

What do you guys think of this?

TM
[quote]
(I was always taught never to finish a routine on a vanish).

Any ideas ????
[/quote]

Just a small comment here: None other than the great Mark Wilson himself ended his sponge ball routine with the vanish of all the balls.

I don't know who taught you that, but do they know more than Mark wilson?

Subsequently, I've always finished my routine with the vanish, and always get good reaction.

You may or not be interested, but there is a new set of "sponges" out now, called lady bugged, and the sponges look like little lady bugs. I have been using them, and the spectators give a much warmer reception to them than sponge balls. They touch an emotional chord in a way sponges never could. Especially good for the ladies in your audience.

Since I started using them, I haven't even been tempted to go back to round sponges.

Any way, here is an idea or two to conclude your routine. #1 consider having several sponges in your or the spectator's hand, (let's assume they are red) you could have them change to different colors, (I like the neon ones, which are available in hot pink, neon green, etc.) Anyway, to end the spectator opens their hand to find several of these neon sponges where a moment ago, they were red. You could also do that in your hand, but it wouldn't be as strong.

Another possibility is that the spectator is holding three sponges, and opens up his hand to find that all three have grown to jumbo sponge balls!

#3A final possibility is to purchase several of the lady bugs, and end the routine by having the lady bugs multiply to perhaps, a dozen in the spectators hand. Note, that these don't have all the springiness of the regular balls, so concievably they could open their hand to find the "explosion" but they wouldn't fly everywhere and end up all over the floor as do the mini sponges. In fact, they have a tendancy to cling to one another to a certain degree.

Just some tips. Enjoy!

BTW, the strongest reaction I ever remember getting was when I was doing the Slydini master sponge ball routine on a large stage years ago.

I was performing for a young girl, and at the end she is instructed to open her hand, and a couple dozen mini sponge balls flew everywhere. This girl SCREAMED at the top of her lungs, like she was being murdered. It was fabulous, and I still remember it twenty or thirty years later. :bigsmile: