(Close Window)
Topic: Provebs you hate
Don't you hate it sometimes when you are talking with someone and they respond to you with an old proverb? Sometimes I feel very cheap that rather than addressing my point or my issue that someone would lower themselves to a silly old saying that has little bearing on the real topic.

Example: "My boss told me I am a worthlss idiot that he wants to fire"
Proverb response: "sticks and stones can break my bones but names can never harm me!"

Here, one man is worried about his job, while the other completely ignores both the pain of a person of authority insulting him, and the financial concern about being fired. A response like "Hey man that sucks" doesn't help much, but it does show some empathy.

What are some other proverbs that really ought to be outlawed?
So, you don't like the end result of a good proverb? Sour grapes??

;)
"If you have to ask, you can't afford it." One of the all-time dumb sayings. Not to mention exceptionally condescending to a prospective buyer.

I had some numbskull tell me that when I inquired about the price of an antique swiss army-style knife. Looked him right in the eye and told him a) I'm sure I could pay for it right now should I desire to, and b) the price may be set higher than the item's actual value to me...and one doesn't know that until one ASKS!

Then he told me he couldn't tell me because it was only for disply, and he wasn't the owner/manager of the store, so he didn't even know what it was worth!
Not exactly a proverb but the overdone cliche, "It is what it is," has to be one of the most annoying and lazy substitutes for a meaningful thoughtful answer that I've heard recently.
I dislike the expression 'when one door closes another opens'. I was told that when my old company shut down, I replied 'sometimes when a door closes you are screwed'. Seems I was.
The nice thing about proverbs is that there's one to fit essentially every situation, irrespective of the conclusion.

For every "Don't judge a book by its cover" there's a "The clothes make the man".

For every "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" there's an "Out of sight, out of mind".

For every "Opposites attract" there's a "Birds of a feather flock together".
"The customer is always right."

"There is no such thing as a stupid question."
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 21:14, balducci wrote:

[/quote]
How come?
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 18:14, mastermindreader wrote:
Not exactly a proverb but the overdone cliche, "It is what it is," has to be one of the most annoying and lazy substitutes for a meaningful thoughtful answer that I've heard recently.
[/quote]

I consider it the American equivalent of c'est la vie. I also use it to avoid conversations about my personal life that I'm not ready for yet.
Ex.
-"Bro, I heard your girlfriend shot you in the knee. Sorry to hear that."
-"Thanks, man."
-"That must have really hurt your feelings."
-"Yeah, well, it is what it is."
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 21:05, S2000magician wrote:
The nice thing about proverbs is that there's one to fit essentially every situation, irrespective of the conclusion.

For every "Don't judge a book by its cover" there's a "The clothes make the man".

For every "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" there's an "Out of sight, out of mind".

[/quote]

Great observation, and quite true. The sour grapes reference I made opposes the sweet lemon stance.

Too many cooks spoil the broth, opposes, two heads are better than one, or many hands make light work.

I like it when familiar proverbs are warped.

If at first you don't succeed, give up... no sense making a fool out of yourself.

Don't count your chickens with a hatchet.

Don't judge a cook by his brother.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the couch.

My favorite is when Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence... "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Brilliant!
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 21:42, landmark wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
How come?
[/quote]
Because there are stupid questions.

It may be good advice to be polite and act as though every question is a good or sensible one, but it is just politeness.
Lots of teachers say that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

They're . . . um . . . wrong.

When I teach I tell my students that there are, in fact, stupid questions (e.g., if I just told them that the definition of a limit will be in the next exam, and then someone who wasn't listening asks if the definition of a limit will be on the next exam, that's a stupid question), but they're rarer than they might think.
There may not be any stupid question, but there seem to be a lot of inquisitive idiots.
My dads only advice to me was:

If you are not in bed by nine o'clock you might as well go home.
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 01:12, MagicSanta wrote:
My dads only advice to me was:

If you are not in bed by nine o'clock you might as well go home.
[/quote]

Nice.
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 23:00, S2000magician wrote:
Lots of teachers say that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

They're . . . um . . . wrong.

When I teach I tell my students that there are, in fact, stupid questions (e.g., if I just told them that the definition of a limit will be in the next exam, and then someone who wasn't listening asks if the definition of a limit will be on the next exam, that's a stupid question), but they're rarer than they might think.
[/quote]

I graduated college, but I argued with my teachers a lot and hated school. Flunked a few classes because the professors were idiots. Still kept arguing with them even after they flunked me. Too much BS to put up with from the professors and everybody else in school. If a professor doesn't like you, he is more than likely to just give you a bad grade rather than give you a fair shake. And the thing is, I mean, in this day and age, going to school is more like a sham. You graduate with thousands of dollars in debt that you will spend the rest of your life paying off and you can't declare bankruptcy on and the guys who are making all the money are the guys who dropped out of school, started their own companies, didn't even graduate school and are now running the country. The joke was on us who went to school. Sometimes, I think education is nothing more than a system of imposed ignorance.

Fortunately, some of us who are veterans had Uncle Sam to help us pay for college, but nobody should be required to serve in the military or have a 4.0 GPA with a 1600 SAT score just to go to school and graduate debt free. And when you work while in college (especially if you are studying a tough degree like engineering or computer science) your grades will suffer and you still will graduate with a lot of debt that you will be paying off for the rest of your life. Gee, sometimes I wonder if it's just better not bothering to go to school and just start your company rather than work for "the man" who treats you like some kind of expendable number anyways. You'll save yourself the headache from putting up with BS from the professors and you won't have to answer to "the man" who treats you like an expendable number and you can work for yourself and be your own man and your creativity and motivation won't be stifled by the boot of "the man" and the BS office politics that comes with working for "the man."
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 18:14, mastermindreader wrote:
[/quote]

THANK YOU!!!
Would someone tell me what the F*** that even means!?
"It is what it is." Well, umm 'no **** Sherlock,' what the hell else would it be!?
I heard an interview with Dan White recently and he must have used that phrase a dozen times in 5 minutes. What I got from it was that he was basically saying "I don't know" or "we'll have to wait and see" or "I don't have an opinion either way."

AAHHH!!!
Will this feeling increase the older I get and the more new slang I here?
Will I just be walking around in my mandals, drinking punkershnapps and scratching my gear?

As for the original remark, I couldn't agree more. So often we don't need advice (which proverbs pretend to be) we need someone to hear us. More often than not we already, on some level at least, what we need to do and so often a quick piece of advice or glib saying is really just saying "I have no interest whatsoever in actually talking and connecting to you on any meaningful level, here's some advice now shut up and deal with it."

*** proverbs.
[quote]

[/quote]

I remember discussing this in social psychology.
So often social psychology is put down because the results seem so intuitive. There is a convenient cliche to express most of the findings, ...BUT people forget that there is a convenient cliche for the opposite as well.
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 22:28, balducci wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]
How come?
[/quote]

It may be good advice to be polite and act as though every question is a good or sensible one, but it is just politeness.
[/quote]
Another failed would-be landmark joke. :)
[quote]
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]
How come?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I hear them at every magic lecture.

"Can you do it with a red deck?"

"Can you use a 5 dollar bill instead?"

"What if their name is George?"

Drives me nuts. (that's what the pirate said)
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 02:54, seadog93 wrote:

Will I just be walking around in my mandals, drinking punkershnapps and scratching my gear?

[/quote]

Well... ignorance is bliss.
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 04:58, landmark wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]
How come?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Another failed would-be landmark joke. :)
[/quote]
But did you notice how polite my response to your question was. :)
[quote]On 2012-06-04 09:41, Michael Baker wrote:
[quote]On 2012-06-04 02:54, seadog93 wrote:
Will I just be walking around in my mandals, drinking punkershnapps and scratching my gear?[/quote]
Well... ignorance is bliss.[/quote]
Thank you, Thomas Gray.

;)

(It is annoying that people have *******ized that quote.)
Magic happens in the mind.

If that is the case then why buy a ticket when you can dream for nothing?
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 10:07, S2000magician wrote:
Will I just be walking around in my mandals, drinking punkershnapps and scratching my gear?[/quote]
Thank you, Thomas Gray.

;)

(It is annoying that people have *******ized that quote.)
[/quote]

There you go again, epitomizing the rest of the story! ;) When in Rome... (wow, another proverb! )
[quote]On 2012-06-04 10:58, Michael Baker wrote:
[quote]On 2012-06-04 10:07, S2000magician wrote:
Thank you, Thomas Gray.

;)

(It is annoying that people have *******ized that quote.)[/quote]
There you go again, epitomizing the rest of the story! ;) When in Rome... (wow, another proverb! )[/quote]
That'll be my new motto:

[i]Don't compromise; epitomize![/i]
[quote]

[/quote]

Brilliant- and funny!
[quote]
On 2012-06-04 02:58, seadog93 wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I remember discussing this in social psychology.
So often social psychology is put down because the results seem so intuitive. There is a convenient cliche to express most of the findings, ...BUT people forget that there is a convenient cliche for the opposite as well.
[/quote]

Hindsight bias, aka The "I-knew-it-all-along" phenomenon.
"Do unto others...." and other such proverbs, expressions suggesting to treat others how you yourself would like to be treated. I find this is stated often when I am very open and honest and people take offense to being told the truth. Yeah, the truth can be uncomfortable, but I do appreciate it in the long run.
Hey Critter,

Aren't you going to quote my new favorite (or is that my favorite new) proverb?
Don't remember which one that was.
I did post this somewhere recently though: "There are no stupid questions, just a bunch of jerks who will call you stupid for asking."
The first time I ever heard the "It is what it is" / "He is what he is" (the latter often used with athletes) was from coach Bill Parcells when he came to coach the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe it is a saying with NY/NJ origins? :)
That's actually not one I have much of a problem with (depending on how it's intended; I think it's a pretty aesthetically pleasing way to say, "Don't read too much into it").
I always did like this.

Ask me no quetions and I will tell you no lies.
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 18:50, MagicSanta wrote:
I dislike the expression 'when one door closes another opens'. I was told that when my old company shut down, I replied 'sometimes when a door closes you are screwed'. Seems I was.
[/quote]

When my company shut down, I found a new occupation after only 11 months of looking. Of course the door that closed was a $12.30 an hour job that involved sitting behind a computer screen doing artistic things with type Mon-Fri 7:30 to 4:30 each and every week. The door that opened was a $7.50 an hour job (after 8 years, I've reached $11.30. In about two more years, I'll be where I was at 12 years ago at the other job.) where I bounce around the schedule never knowing from one week to the next exactly which days or even which hours I'll be working.
Then there is the Jack Handey approach to proverbs...

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.”
Another statement I hate is "I'm just sayin'". It reminds me of the guys who say 'with all due respect....' then spit out something stupid. People will make an insulting statement or dumb remark then toss in 'just saying' as if that excuses it.
It totally does excuse it. Just sayin'.
"With all due respect..." is a hilarious one when you think about it. eg, "With all due respect, you're an idiot". That phrase has no respect, and highlights the fact that therefore no respect was even due. It's often used in a way that is supposed to mean "This is going to sound rude, but I mean it respectfully", but it actually means quite the opposite.
"Man up". God, what a stupid expression.
"Man down"....never quite got that one ;)
"With all due respect, and not to be rude, but you need to man up because **** happens and it is what it is. Deal with it and get over yourself. I'm just sayin'."
"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Well, I guess that works if life also hands you sugar, water and a pitcher.

On the other hand, I like Cave Johnson's approach.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMnWEAoXbU
Not so much a proverb, but today I've been pushed over the edge into hatred of the overused phrase seen on ad copy for Magic books - "This one effect alone is worth 'X' times the price of this book". If that was true, take it out of the book and sell it on its own for X times the price. Seriously. Either all these copywriters are bare faced liars or they have less business acumen than a three-day-old cheeseburger.
Provebs??
A Hells Angels advice to me "if someone even acts like the might hit yiou hit them first", made sence to me.
On the other hand, I find "a stitch in time saves nine" to be essentially true... but then I am a surgeon...
[quote]
On 2012-06-03 22:12, Michael Baker wrote:

My favorite is when Dorothy Parker was asked to use the word 'horticulture' in a sentence... "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

Brilliant!
[/quote]

:hysteric:

The Golden Girls! :applause: