(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Dealers
Acar and Penguin Magic. Mandy and Papercrane. Russ and RSVP.

They go out of their way to listen and treat you like family.
I like Angie and Bill at Madhatter Magic. Awesome to deal with! And the best price to!
The best : MJM MAGIC .

Jeff Mash is just fantastic.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/

My final answer.
I like madhatter--hocus pocus and magic warehouse
also penquin and stevens magic
Hands down, Denny & Lees Magic Studios. Denny has more performing experience and magical knowledge than any other store owner I know.
[quote]
On 2012-06-05 20:09, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Hands down, Denny & Lees Magic Studios. Denny has more performing experience and magical knowledge than any other store owner I know.
[/quote]

I second that, he is the dealer I trust to 110% plus he is a dream to deal with.
As a foringer Denny is the only american dealer I buy from, period.
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 03:06, Peo Olsson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-06-05 20:09, Peter Pitchford wrote:
[/quote]

I second that, he is the dealer I trust to 110% plus he is a dream to deal with.
As a foringer Denny is the only american dealer I buy from, period.
[/quote]
I third that. Denny never fails in giving the best guidance out there.
Here in the UK I think Alakazam are the best by far.
http://www.alakazam.co.uk
My favorites are: Madhatter, Magicwarehouse and Penguin.
Alakazam & Magicbox in the UK are hard to beat.

Excellent service and product advise and honesty.

Mike Donoghue
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 07:07, helder wrote:
My favorites are: Madhatter, Magicwarehouse and Penguin.
[/quote]

I'll second that. Madhatter has some great deals and great service. Penguin has the great resource boards and great service. Magic Warehouse has great service.

Whatever you do, don't order from Hank Lee. I'm not starting a flame war, just sharing my personal experience.
Bill and Angie at Madhatter are top notch people. Just awesome customer service and very helpful not to mention great prices. Penguin has some great prices and fast shipping, SEO magic has very good customer service and fast shipping, I just think some of their products are overpriced for what you get. Oh yea- Bob Solari is also very helpful and honest, a "strait shooter"!

I'm very pleased to see most the posts here like Madhatter and that the few negative comments posted here on the Café by some jealous dealers didn't effect their decision to buy from them. Madhatter (like a FEW others in this industry) will bend over backwards for you!

RNK
David Lemberg at http://www.killermagicshop.com in Vancouver Washington. Awesome service, huge shop, and fun sessions.
H&R Magic Books.
If you are looking for something other then the latest and greatest new untested magic trick, and actually looking for magic to present in an actual show.

There is no better magic dealer and manufacturer then Abbott's Magic in Colon, Michigan.

http://www.abbottmagic.com

They also carry the latest and greatest, but that is to give service to everyone.

The real secret is Abbott's supplies the performers of magic and mentalism that desire to become professional.
Im from Sweden and ill trust madhatter 100 percent. Great prices,shipping and service.
After that I love penguin and Alakazam. Even though I nowdays rareley buy from UK dealers because of their
prices.

Take care
Ezzet
Alakazam & Dude That's Cool Magic for me.
I'm literally on the other side of the world. For the past few years, I've been happy with the service of these online stores:

1. Magic Warehouse
2. Vanishing Inc.
3. The Magic Apple

They have been very supportive and had no problems with shipping (knowing that it could be such of a headache if you live so far away).
Hocus Pocus has great deals , great service and fast post .

Penguin has super fast post, great service , reviews,lectures, forums ,deals....
World Magic Shop & Dude That's Cool Magic. I'd highly recommend both here in the UK.

AA
Penguin
Customer service is very important to me and of course range and price have to be considered.
To that end my choices would have to be:

Taylor's Magic here in Australia - friendly, prompt and professional service.
and
Penguin in the US (thier delivery and response to queries is just like they were here in Aus (except for the time difference)
Hands down my vote goes to..........

The Magic Warehouse .... Howard and his team are amazing ..

I've called them about products and they are totally there to help, hell even just converse about magic LOL....

Second to that is Penguin Magic....

love their promos, lectures, shipping and overall quality ...

Both receive an A++ from me...

-Bobby
Penguin. Real fast shipping (They shipped "Stitched" on Tuesday; I got it today- and I'm 3,000 miles away from them), decent prices, and excellent customer service. They even used some of my negative product reviews on their website- no other magic dealer EVER printed one of my negative reviews in their ad copy. I'll call that INTEGRITY!
I have to go with Magic Warehouse. They have it all...large selection which is actually in stock, great service, inexpensive & fast shipping, & the best prices around.
[quote]
On 2012-06-07 13:42, Inert wrote:
I have to go with Magic Warehouse. They have it all...large selection which is actually in stock, great service, inexpensive & fast shipping, & the best prices around.
[/quote]

They do have good prices but I think Pengiun and Madhatter Magic shops have better pricing.
Whilst each magic store or company has its own unique qualities, I would have to say that the best to talk with or deal with have been Gary at The Magic Emporium, Tomas with Fun Inc, and Sebashtion at Subdividedstudios.
RNK got me to thinking, so I ran a price check between Magic Warehouse, Penguin & Madhatter. I chose 10 random & very popular items such as Color Monte, Scotch & Soda, Hot Rod, etc. I also made sure that they were identical makers, versions, etc. The results are 5 wins for Magic Warehouse & 5 wins for Madhatter. Penguin may have won 1 for a special price on the Euro version of Color Monte, but if I remember right (wife chucked my list while cleaning up around the place), Madhatter won this 1 too. So, I've learned something...to try out Madhatter some time soon. All this doesn't, of course, take into account customer service, inventory, speed & cost of shipping, etc. All important factors. It was a fun & enlightening experience. Try it yourself & see.
Madhatter has excellant customer service.
shipping is fast and reasonable.
My 3 options:

1.- Penguin Magic
The Good: Price and low shipping fee (USA and overseas)
The Bad: Takes a lot of time to restocking.

2.- Madhatter Magic
The Good: Store has a lot of inventory and magic items.
The Bad: No many discount sales.

3.- Hocus Pocus
The Good: Exclusive items, frequenly discounts sales.
The Bad: high shipping fee.

All of them have good customer service.
Madhatter has very fast shipping for a very reasonable price. Also Mind Magic- Madhatter has TONS of specials. Just click the SPECIALS tab.

RNK
First and foremost, I try to purchase directly from the magic creators themselves. IMO that is the best way to keep good magic coming at us - and not necessarily looking for the "cheapest" dealer out there.

If something not available direct from the creator I usually look to Penguin Magic in California with Acar Altinsel, The Magic Warehouse with Howard in Maryland, Trick Shop Magic previously of Temecula, CA but soon to be in San Diego AFAIK (!!) with Sam Blankenship, and Elmwood Magic with Paul Richards. Not necessarily in that order; all are great shops run by super people. :)

Thank you.

Jim
I like Elmwood Magic. Paul Richards is always on top of things and goes out of his way to make something right.
You can't beat Denny & Lee for top notch customer service and knowledge of product.
I try to support the brick and mortar whenever possible. Good lectures, unfortunately more in Baltimore than in Las Vegas!

Penguin has continued to improve and has also become very innovative with their lectures on line. Acar is wonderful to deal with.

Hocus-Pocus carries a huge inventory, very promotional, quick shipments.
Mark Mason and Paul Richards are in another world for me on dealers that I have seen demoing products. Customer service may be different but they are completely on another level when it comes to performing their products. Both great magicians in their own right too .
Mark Mason is rapidly approaching (arguably reached and/or surpassed) the great Al Cohen as far as masterful and memorable magic demonstrators are concerned. I would contest that this is a very special niche that few can aspire to. You need to have an incredible memory for routines going back years and years, and the chops and audience management skills to pair up with the hundreds of routines you've demonstrated in times gone by.

Imagine being a comedian, and being asked to tell the joke about "the guy who walked into the bar." That's what these guys must face at every convention..."hey, show me the one with the card that changes." Doing this kind of magic must be improvisation at its best.
I once told Mark that he was the second best demonstrator that I had ever seen, surpassed only by Al. Mark took that as a compliment, and it was intended as one.
Zane
I'm going to add Paul Harris Presents to my personal list. I own several of their products, although I did not buy them directly from PHP. I had a problem with one of their items, and after mentioning it here on the Café, I received a personal reply from Janet. She more than did right by me, even though I was not asking for help from them. I just want to mention that I am a fan of PHP and Alexander Kolle's recent release, "Stitched", and I am here on the Café saying excellent things about it, but the two things have nothing to do with each other, and I am not letting their fine customer service influence my review of "Stitched". It is an EXCELLENT product! And PHP and Janet are at the top of the heap in my book!
Are we talking guns or drugs?
I have really enjoyed my dealings with Vanishing Inc.
Andi, Josh, and the others are very strongly based in customer service.
Sorry, but I cannot believe so many advocate Mad Hatter Magic when they have so many rip off copies on the site (hence "good prices").

On Face Book some top names have written to Bill in protest (the latest rip off offered by Mad Hatter is a copy of Dean's Box)
He also carries non-rip off items for much cheaper than most dealers. So why pay more somewhere else?

Not to mention super fast shipping and awesome customer service!!
It's up to the buyer if he buys a known "generic" item or not. The Madhattermagic has good prices on several non generic items also.
One major problem with Madhatter Magic is that their overseas shiopping prices are unbelievably high.
$223.01 for FedEx Internation Priority mail for a book - I don't think so!
Penguin for the same product is less than $50.
Someone is making a BIG proffit here!
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 22:40, Burf wrote:
One major problem with Madhatter Magic is that their overseas shiopping prices are unbelievably high.
$223.01 for FedEx Internation Priority mail for a book - I don't think so!
Penguin for the same product is less than $50.
Someone is making a BIG proffit here!
[/quote]

That's a bummer because they're international shipping is priced right.
We had to install new FedEx modules last week, and new payment modules this week. We still have some bugs in the modules to work out. We are running audits and making adjustments. If you see something wierd as above (thanks Burf) please email our store direct and bring it to our attention. It's temporary and will be fixed ASAP.
[quote]
On 2012-06-15 11:18, Bill Groome wrote:
We had to install new FedEx modules last week, and new payment modules this week. We still have some bugs in the modules to work out. We are running audits and making adjustments. If you see something wierd as above (thanks Burf) please email our store direct and bring it to our attention. It's temporary and will be fixed ASAP.
[/quote]

Thanks Bill.
Thought you must have been delivering in person :)
Will check out the revised pricing.
Big Kev by the playing field. Excellent dealer, superb advice about the latest 'product' even gives free samples to first time 'buyers'. Can't fault his customer service (daren't fault it, he carries a knife). I've never had any reason to complain. Oh wait, magic dealers. Sorry my bad
Lol Zerububle! Round these parts he's known as 'Chronic Kev,' aka 'The Shiv.'
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 15:03, BatsMagic wrote:
I'm going to add Paul Harris Presents to my personal list. I own several of their products, although I did not buy them directly from PHP. I had a problem with one of their items, and after mentioning it here on the Café, I received a personal reply from Janet. She more than did right by me, even though I was not asking for help from them. I just want to mention that I am a fan of PHP and Alexander Kolle's recent release, "Stitched", and I am here on the Café saying excellent things about it, but the two things have nothing to do with each other, and I am not letting their fine customer service influence my review of "Stitched". It is an EXCELLENT product! And PHP and Janet are at the top of the heap in my book!
[/quote]

Most places won't help if you bought somewhere else. Thanks for sharing that great experience you had with Janet at PHP.
I agree with Penguin being among the best, but I am surprised no one has mentioned Ellusionist! Some of the best gaffed cards I have ever owned came from them, and Brad has always been extremely helpful! Also I haven't seen any mention of Nexus Magic Shop in California. Jason has busted his ****s bringing that shop to market.

Doug
Personally, my favourite magic dealer has to be Mark Mason. What a fantastic demo machine. On the occasions I've had the pleasure to watch his stand, It's a lesson in perfect showmanship. You can tell when he is demoing the moment you enter a dealer hall. There's a crowd around his stand waving £20 notes in the air like stooges in a three shell game. The only difference is that they are real customers, delighted in the magic he is performing.

The guys a legend!
Dominic, I bet there are very few out there who would argue with you. I remember my first time seeing Mark Mason demo at Magifest years and years ago. I could only afford to buy one effect at that time, but I hung around for hours just watching him perform all of his inventory - over and over again. Year after year, I would go to Magifest and make an effort to make JB Magic my "go-to" destination...and I was never disappointed. As time went by, and my income increased, Mr. Mason took more and more of my hard earned green-backs, and I never had a regret to this day.
Hank Lee mostly for sales. Ordered from Denny a few days ago though.
Message: Posted by: The Great Stevini (Jun 19, 2012 10:03PM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-19 03:58, Zerububle wrote:
Big Kev by the playing field. Excellent dealer, superb advice about the latest 'product' even gives free samples to first time 'buyers'. Can't fault his customer service (daren't fault it, he carries a knife). I've never had any reason to complain. Oh wait, magic dealers. Sorry my bad
[/quote]

Makes my eyes red just thinking about him...
Penguin! For my last shipment they drew a picture of Corbis the Penguin congratulating me on nearly finishing med school. Then when the product was supposed to take 9-12 days to get here via free shipping, it came in 4...so great!
Acar is a great guy and Penguin would get my vote; only if I had not spent the bulk load of my magic investments at Denny & Lee's (Vegas). They are my brick and mortar/internet go to's. So I order online when not in Vegas. And I've met them both and trust they have magicians best interests at heart.
Elmwood Magic is definitely a favorite. Fast, reasonably-priced shipping and awesome customer service :)
I have to say that hands down for me Penguin is the best bet. I truly love the enthusiasm Acar displays; it feels like he is honestly talking directly to me, and the customer service is superb. I've dealt with Paper Crane too and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I don't know if it counts but, if not, honorable mention needs to go to Mr. Jamie D. Grant, I think he is honestly one of the most amazing guys in the world when it comes to satisfying his clientele... Or should I say one of the most amazing guys in the world period.
[quote]
On 2012-06-18 20:28, Burf wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-06-15 11:18, Bill Groome wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks Bill.
Thought you must have been delivering in person :)
Will check out the revised pricing.
[/quote]

I can happily say the service and care given by Mad Hatter Magic Shop is excellent and prompt.
Prompt answers and help with my queries, even given the time difference.
Many thanks to Bill and Ange.
I can't honestly say that I've had a bad experience with any magic dealers in the UK (other than being sworn at by Jerry Sadowitz in International Magic in London, lol), however, I have received exceptional service from Mark Leveridge Magic, Practical Magic, Dude That's Cool Magic, and Alakazam Magic, and would recommend all of these dealers to anyone.
Message: Posted by: Brandon Sheffield (Feb 24, 2014 11:07AM)
Penguin is by far my favorite dealer. I've spent more money with them than I'll ever like to admit ;)

They price match, have great prices, and great customer service.

I just placed an order today for well over 300.00 and they were great. I was kind of bummed out that they wouldn't price match anything that was sold through Madhatter magic. I was told they were not able to price match anything byadhatter because they sold knock off items. I didn't realize that was happening :(

Again they are the best, and will continue to get my money!

Brandon
PENGUIN!
For Germany I would rate this:

1a. Magicshop.ch (actually Switzerland)
1b. Stolina (both shops are second to none concerning speedy delivery and very fast reaction time if it comes to questions)
2. Tesmar Zauberartikel

For international orders (from Germany):

1. Penguin (no questions asked)
For me, it's [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com]MJM Magic[/url], hands down. For over ten years they've been helping me out, and any issues I've had were quickly taken care of. The free shipping and price matching are just icing on the cake, but it's the customer service which keeps me coming back.
Penguin is my go-to.... I usually look around for the cheapest option w/shipping and its almost always Penguin. With that said, I also tend to buy a lot from MJM Magic.

I have also had great experiences and super fast shipping from Bob Solari Magic and Steven's Magic Emporium- (I think the fast shipping is because I'm not located too far from them).
Distance really doesn't matter much when it comes to the US Postal Service, TuneHV.

I almost always have my purchases in my hands within 48 hours of ordering from Penguin, even though I'm 3,000 miles away. First Class or Priority, it makes no difference. It's the same service; it's really just a weight difference rather than a speed difference.

What matters is how quickly the seller gets it into the PO's hands.

Penguin is Top Notch in all respects!
[quote]
On , Bardo wrote:
Here in the UK I think Alakazam are the best by far.
http://www.alakazam.co.uk
[/quote]This one for me..And also Mark mason.
1) Mark Travesoni at Saturn Magic.
2) Dude That's Cool Magic
3) Bicycle Cards.co.uk

Alakazam also up there.
Jeff Pinsky of The Browser's Den of Magic.
Excellent demonstrator, a joy to do business with, and a very nice man.
Im proud to call him a friend.
Penquin rule's...
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Feb 24, 2014 09:51PM)
Penguin is mine. :)
Penguin Magic is my #1 choice
Penguin #1
The Web: Penguin Magic, all the way. Nothing but good experiences with them

LOCAL: The Magic Apple, its close, awesome and great people.
Al Lamfers of http://www.3shells.com .Has great customer service and he made me a set of shells that are no longer for sale.I may have one of the few.I could not afford the full sized version. so he made a shell size. Great Guy.
I can't stress enough how important it is for creators like me, that ripp off items should be banned. They are destroying all we are standing for, and a dealer who offers them is openly destroying magic creativity. Yes, you might get a product for a cheap price. But you are cutting yourself here. We, the creators, are going a long way before we release a new effect. It takes our creativity, time, money etc. to make this all happen. Not every effect we come up with is a "winner". Not even every idea will see the light of the day (There is also a lot of bad stuff around). But once a creator produced a good effect, you can bet there is fast a knock off available. For a much lower price. Certainly. Because these producers have no morality, can just lean back and watch which effects are winners and copy these, without ANY research and development and no real risk.

A dealer carrying such effects does not earn my respect, and you - with a certain knowledge in magic - should do the same. There are always beginners around (me included the first years I got into magic) that are excited when they see a cheap alternative to an effect, they don't know better. But they can learn.

I learned my lesson, so can you. And I hope that you will then start supporting the dealers out there that are honest and willing to carry the original effects, as this is what the creators of magic deserve.
Magic dealers list 2014:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=541973&forum=30&1
[quote]
On , Card-Shark wrote:
I can't stress enough how important it is for creators like me, that ripp off items should be banned. They are destroying all we are standing for, and a dealer who offers them is openly destroying magic creativity. Yes, you might get a product for a cheap price. But you are cutting yourself here. We, the creators, are going a long way before we release a new effect. It takes our creativity, time, money etc. to make this all happen. Not every effect we come up with is a "winner". Not even every idea will see the light of the day (There is also a lot of bad stuff around). But once a creator produced a good effect, you can bet there is fast a knock off available. For a much lower price. Certainly. Because these producers have no morality, can just lean back and watch which effects are winners and copy these, without ANY research and development and no real risk.

A dealer carrying such effects does not earn my respect, and you - with a certain knowledge in magic - should do the same. There are always beginners around (me included the first years I got into magic) that are excited when they see a cheap alternative to an effect, they don't know better. But they can learn.

I learned my lesson, so can you. And I hope that you will then start supporting the dealers out there that are honest and willing to carry the original effects, as this is what the creators of magic deserve.
[/quote]

Thanks Christian!

Every word true - and from one of the best Magic providers out there.

My newest addiction fron Card-Shark is their wonderful Parlour Decks. I started with one, then bought another to make a fantastic ID, now I ordered a few more. These were another genuine innovation among many, and "danke" for the superb products.
For unique and hard to find items Denny and Lee is top notch. Denny is well respected in the magic community and he has years of experience and knowledge.

Penguin and Hocus-Pocus both focus on the new "must have" items. There are differences of course, but both offer great customer service, and will go out of their way to resolve any problems.

Penguin has "hot Box" specials almost all the time. Hocus-Pocus used to have % off deals for limited time periods......Haven't seen one for a while....have they stopped? Anyone know, please comment.
I couldn't help notice that, with few exceptions, everyone is choosing online dealers. Yet, I'm always hearing people bemoan the fate of brick & mortar shops.

It is, indeed, too bad in several ways that the shops are vanishing, but that's just the way it is. Everything changes. A lot of us were lucky enough to have had shops to hang out at, but only because that was the time we lived in. I've heard people actually get angry about physical shops not being supported. I think it's time to lighten up. To everything there is a season.

I've made a few purchases from Penguin, and I can say that they have a very good and solid business model. When You Wish is pretty good, as is MJM. If you sift though his piles of garbage, Mark Mason has some GREAT stuff, and Mason himself is a top-notch teacher. Then again....that "garbage" I referenced could/would be pure gold to the beginner. No longer does the young wizard have to depend on Adam's fake vomit or pepper chewing gum to prove how magical he is.

The ones who take customer service seriously will rise to the top, as always. The way it should be.

A few shops continue to hang on. Denny's is a joy to be in! I do suspect that before too many more years pass, that shop will be in the nostalgia catagory, as well. And there's nuthin' wrong with that. You can take away the shops, but you'll have a tough time taking away the memories.

I wonder what the NEXT century of retail magic will bring us. If I wasn't so *** near 60, I'd be looking forward to it!
Hocus-Pocus used to have %off promotions at least once a month. Does anyone know if they stopped?
I buy mostly books, but not always. Penguin has never let me down and is the first place I look when something new comes along that I must have. There are a couple of dealers on my "do not buy from list", but I'll keep things on the positive side here. I especially like the speedy service I get from Penguin. I did deal with Daytona once...no issues there...and they are a real shop...if I'm ever down that way I would love to drop in.
Since this is the "Flavors from the past" forum I will add to my previous post that in the late 70s and early 80s I bought mostly from local shops (in southeastern Virginia -- sadly, none remain). I also ordered from Abbott's, Tannen's, and Magic, Inc....switching over to Hank Lee's in the mid 80's...occasionaly ordering from the latter right up until the shocking news broke. However, for non-book purchases I was never as satisfied as I was with purchasing effects from a shop. In a shop the effect was demo'ed and I could make the decision as to whether it was "for me" or not, and after making the purchase I would usually receive a second demo with tips and pointers. I also miss the hanging out and "shooting the bull" so to speak. I did visit a shop north of Houston, Texas in 1984 that I was very impressed with...purchased a Hand of Cleopatra and a few utility items. I wish I could remember the name of the place...and I wonder if it is still there. Perhaps someone knows the shop of which I speak.
Danny's Kix and Trix
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, cbusch55 wrote:
Danny's Kix and Trix [/quote]

The name does ring a bell...but the web site and images of the shop have zero resemblance to the shop I went to. Perhaps they moved, and like many shops from days gone by, no longer have a lot to do with magic. They appear to be a costume shop first and foremost.