(Close Window)
Topic: Sports Saturday!
A possible Stanley Cup clinching game;

A possible Triple Crown at the Belmont Stakes;

and Manny Pacquiao v. Timothy Bradley.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Imagine boxing whilst riding horses on ice skates. All of the excitement rolled into one event.
Plus my nephews basketball game.
Plus Magic Santa's niece singing the National Anthem Friday evening at the Giants-Rangers game.
And tomorrow night is UFC on FOX.
[quote]
On 2012-06-08 00:52, critter wrote:
And tomorrow night is UFC on FOX.
[/quote] ratings sort of leveled off for that.
[quote]
On 2012-06-07 23:22, S2000magician wrote:
Imagine boxing whilst riding horses on ice skates. All of the excitement rolled into one event.
[/quote]

Since you seem to be interested in proper language and grammar, etc., I must ask what's up with all these "whilsts" you've been using lately? I thought you were an American? :eek:

[quote]Both while and whilst have been in the language for a very long time. While was in use in Old English; whilst is a Middle English development of while. As conjunctions they are interchangeable in meaning, but whilst has not survived in standard American English...

To the American ear whilst sounds quaint. Some British and Canadian speakers think it sounds literary or old-fashioned, but many British speakers prefer it to while.[/quote]

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/the-difference-between-while-and-whilst/

Now please excuse me whilst I take a dump.

:)
Huh. I use it sometimes, but probably picked it up from British television programmes. I also pronounce vitamins the Brit way.
I use it at times courtesy of a prep school.
And don't forget the final game of the Celtics / Heat series. While (whilst?) obviously important to Boston and Miami sports fans, this game should have a broader appeal, insofar as it's a battle of good vs. evil. :)
[quote]
On 2012-06-07 23:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:

[/quote]
You can scratch that off the list:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/canadas-ill-have-another-scratched-from-belmont-stakes-after-injury/article4241656/

:(
[quote]
[/quote]

Just saw that myself. FUUUUUUUDDDDGE! I was planning my whole weekend around that race.

Injuries really screwed up that UFC card as well.
[quote]On 2012-06-08 12:17, balducci wrote:
[quote]On 2012-06-07 23:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A possible Triple Crown at the Belmont Stakes;[/quote]

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/canadas-ill-have-another-scratched-from-belmont-stakes-after-injury/article4241656/

:([/quote]
That's a shame, but I respect the owners for considering the welfare of the horse above the possibility of the win. They're being extremely cautious, his condition (a tender left fore suspensory tendon) being described as "the beginning of an injury".
[quote]
That's a shame, but I respect the owners for considering the welfare of the horse above the possibility of the win. They're being extremely cautious, his condition (a tender left fore suspensory tendon) being described as "the beginning of an injury".
[/quote]

It's the right thing to do, no doubt. Puts a damper on the race though. It was bad enough that Bodemeister wasn't going to run, now this.
Have to toss in Yankees/Mets series this weekend. J. Santana pitching should be very interesting. :)
My money is on Santana and the Mets today (at 5-4 odds).
[quote]
On 2012-06-08 12:17, balducci wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-06-07 23:18, LobowolfXXX wrote:

[/quote]

:(
[/quote]

Yea I sort of was worried about that. I heard these rumors. Sad indeed.
I lost too much on a sure bet on the NCAA. I just stay in the background.
So, there was no triple crown, The Stanley Cup wasn't clinched, and many long-time boxing industry pros are calling the Pacqiao-Bradley fight the worst decision they've ever seen. Nice Saturday!
On the bright side my nephews team won. Plus I won betting on Union Rags.
37!

Sorry, I didn't mean to inject politics into this thread. :eek:
There it is!
I took one down, passed it around, now there are 97 talking points on the wall.
[quote]
many long-time boxing industry pros are calling the Pacqiao-Bradley fight the worst decision they've ever seen. [/quote]

Which decision is that? The split decision in favor of Bradley? Or Arums decision to fix the fight in the first place?
All bad boxing decisions are attributed to being fixed. In Pacqiao-Bradley, it's kind of funny, because before the fight, people were expecting that if the fight was somewhat close but in favor of Bradley, then he would have no chance, because it would be fixed for [i]Pacquiao[/i]. But when Pacquiao loses, now the fight is fixed for Bradley. The loss destroys what would have easily been the biggest money fight on the horizon, Pacquiao-Mayweather, which was still a possibility, and even if the Mayweather fight never happened, Pacquiao could have made as much or more money by continuing his win streak and fighting somebody new. If there was money to be made in Pacqiao LOSING a fight, it would have been Pacquiao-Marquez III; all of the fights in that trilogy were competitive and more editing and entertaining than Pacqiao-Bradley, and Marquez's use Mexican fan base would have generated much more money in a rematch than Pacqiao-Bradley II.

The truth is almost certainly much more mundane, and it follows numerous other bad decisions, most recently Pacquiao-Marquez III and Paul Williams - Erislandy Lara: there is a bias in favor of the busier fighter. The judges, in fixed position at ringside, can't see that many of them are missing. Bradley threw more more punches, and it's easy to assume (especially with the crowd reacting to every flurry, accurate or not) that they're landing. From the luxury of viewing multiple-camera shoots close up, we know that Pacquiao landed more, but that can be harder to see at ringside, even for professional judges. There's a very clear bias in favor of the guy who throws more punches, and it's tracked most of the major public upsets in recent history.
[quote]On 2012-06-13 11:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
The truth is almost certainly much more mundane, and it follows numerous other bad decisions, most recently Pacquiao-Marquez III and Paul Williams - Erislandy Lara: there is a bias in favor of the busier fighter. The judges, in fixed position at ringside, can't see that many of them are missing. Bradley threw more more punches, and it's easy to assume (especially with the crowd reacting to every flurry, accurate or not) that they're landing. From the luxury of viewing multiple-camera shoots close up, we know that Pacquiao landed more, but that can be harder to see at ringside, even for professional judges. There's a very clear bias in favor of the guy who throws more punches, and it's tracked most of the major public upsets in recent history.[/quote]
Has there ever been a suggestion that the judges be allowed to use the video as an aid to their decision-making? It seems to be the trend in sports, and, off the top of my (admittedly ignorant) head, I cannot see a downside (other than, perhaps, delaying the decision a few minutes whilst ([i]for Bob[/i]) they review the footage).
It doesn't help apperances that both fighters are under the Top Rank umbrella and that Bradley was tweeting posters for the rematch on May 29th. Which I guess was some sort of joke, but in retrospect looks terrible. Considering the fight practically "demands" a rematch.

http://twitter.com/Timbradleyjr/status/207553002964398080/photo/1

But really. Win, lose, whatever. The only ones who lost were the fans and boxing quit caring about thier fans a long, long, time ago.
I think boxing needs some kind of overhaul if it wants to get back to it's glory days.
I can't say everything that should be done because I'm not the expert, but something's been weird for a while.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think boxing will ever die, but it feels like it's been in a bit of a decline.
I may be wrong, there could be math involved and I'm not interested in that.
Maybe everything is hunky-dorothy and I'm misreading the vibe of the room.
Speaking of boxing I saw that Teofilo Stevenson died yesterday.
Ahhhhhh man, I missed that. That's too bad. I'd have loved to see him as a pro in his prime, especially with it being such a great era for heavyweights.
A Stevenson-Ali bout would have been epic.