(Close Window)
Topic: The Scanner
I consider The Scanner to be one of the most innocent imp. device/pad you will ever come across.
The Scanner is perfect for real time and pre-show.
The reset takes about 5 seconds.
It uses an ordinary pen/pencil.
The Scanner It is very low tech and costs next to nothing to make!

The Scanner is ready.
Any pointers to more information on this? Your site seems to be down.
In a few minutes it will appear on my site.
Will there be review copies given out? :bg:
[quote]
On 2012-06-08 16:15, Nicolino wrote:
Will there be review copies given out? :bg:
[/quote]

Yes!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 8, 2012 03:20PM)
Scanner?

Heck, sounds cool! Lol

Ray
How feasible is it for real time use? Can it be used in close up?
It is designed for close-up and stage!
Real time is how I use it.
Awesome, I'm interested. I've been wanting to play around with some DD's (heh heh)
Decided to take the plunge... Jose, I think you need to upload the file to the site so it can be downloaded...

After a few tries, the download worked. Looking forward to reading it!
Available now: http://www.mindshocks.com/2012/06/19.html
Looks interesting but I'm very happy with the one I'm using.

Best
Sean
Sounds good. Waiting for a few reviews and more information
Any demo videos appearing in the near future? Looks promising but there isn't much information to go on here ...
I am here to answer any questions.
What are the advantages of the "scanner" over the John Riggs' "Butterfly"?
- Cheap to make on your own
- Use almost any regular notepad
- A simple technique to make you smile

...more thoughts to follow when I've tested it more thouroughly.
Jose's created some brilliant effects in recent times - Evil Twin being a firm favorite of mine. I look forward to learning more about Scanner but the key requisite of any imp device is the clarity of the imp!
You get a clear impression with The Scanner, Neil. But then again I think I would not use this in a night club setting (although I haven't tried it out yet - they wouldn't let me in anyway....:bigdance:)
Sent you a PM Jose, please reply asap!
Sounds very interesting J. Exited to find out more about this as IMP have been my best friend these days.

Darren
Will it make my head explode?

:)
I sent José a PM with questions that most likely seemed like I was fishing. That wasn't my intention, I'm just familiar with IMP pads ( not a professional by an stretch, just a dedicated hobbyist/sometime paid performer ) and didn't need another "oh, that's kind of clever" method.

He offered to let me look at what he's come up with. The problem with that is if I don't like it I have to say so. He was fine with that as long as I could detail why I didn't like it. That was fair to me.

I read it ( was surprised ) and made it up. I actually had the materials here because of the grandkids being in school. The instructions were clear as too what to do. I looked up at the clock to get an estimation of a first time construction, keeping in mind that over time it would get easier to do. It took 4 minutes. If it wasn't for arthritis, I could have done it faster.

I tried it on myself and the bloody thing works. I took it next door to a magic pal's to try it out. I used a horrific looking pen. Weird shape, colors, etc. As expected, he asked to see the pen to figure out how it got the information. I wasn't doing a gag, but he knows magic and I didn't want the pad to be questioned. But it was funny.

The Scanner is organic, simple to use and as much as I love billet work and peek wallets, this is hands down the fastest, stealth getting information device I have used.

A plain, ordinary looking pad and pen allows for obtaining information in the fastest, most casual manor possible. I love sneaky, electronic high-tech, but if I can go sneaky, organic low-tech, that's the path I take. José Prager's Scanner is the real deal!
I was sent a review copy of The Scanner and I was particularly pleased and interested to see this. Not only do I regularly use imp devices but it is always useful to have another available for possible use and also to see if it is better than existing devices.

Jose gives very comprehensive instructions to make The Scanner and a secret forum is being set up to discuss ideal pads, further ideas and possible uses.

In order to make The Scanner you will need something else in addition to a pad. This something else should be fairly straightforward to obtain but, as yet, have not been to the shops to buy. However I do not see any problem acquiring this or making up the pad.

In the ebook there is a photo of the imp given and it looks very clear. It could be possible to even see it with the spectator nearby and them being none the wiser :). However it would be wise to try the pad out several times to make sure everything is right.

I tend to use imp pads for pre-show but The Scanner could be used in most situations.

As with the Tommy Pad (another favourite of mine), The Scanner is particularly worth consideration because it allows you to make the pad yourself, choosing the size or sizes ideal for you and your performing situations. You could even make up a small sized one to carry in your pocket.

I like The Scanner very much and when I have purchased the necessary, look forward to making it up and then give further thoughts. It is certainly highly practical and could become an invaluable and versatile tool for many.

Neil
Sorry, can't resist to say that this was my impression as well....
Purchased it this morning, runned to the store and made one up. ***...works like a charm.
Everytime I went to the store to search for something I could use I passed this one..
Didn't try it yet but I think this can be applied to other things then a note pad.
So very tempting, I can tell I won't be able to resist for long.

-Max
Comprehensive instructions, use of real everyday material and..voilà the ultimate imp. pad is ready to be used

what I can say more than the other reviewers? I am very impressed by the cost/efficacy ratio of the pad ( material very cheap, results really effective)

After the first lecture of the 9-page instructions, I was a little bit skeptical but since it was very easy to build, I prepared the pad and I can honestly tell you that I am very happy on the final outcome

really suggested

Fabio
I held out for nearly an hour before I bought it.

-Max
Alrighty, I took the plunge and I must say I was delightfully surprised with this.

Unlike some purchasers, I actually have [b]LOADS[/b] of the required material lying around (from a previous failed project of mine) and was able to quickly make up a prototype to test the impressions. The results made me scoot out to grab some pads from the stationer's. It never occurred to me to use this for imp work and I've been kicking myself since this afternoon.

As mentioned in another thread, this does bear [i]some[/i] resemblance to the Tommy Pad, which I also use, but I must say I might actually prefer this over it (no offence to Mr. Bleasdale!) in terms of prep work, impressions and reset. :)

This is just an individual preference, and I'm sure that there will inevitably be a fair share of those who use the Tommy Pad, who will still prefer it over The Scanner.

My only problem with this, in all seriousness, is that the impressions I get are TOO clear, and I would feel insecure in ever using an "in the open" type of peek that's been mentioned elsewhere.

I suppose the only problem I have is actually a good problem to have when it comes to imp pads.

~ Nique
[quote]
On 2012-06-10 16:12, Nicolino wrote:
Sorry, can't resist to say that this was my impression as well....
[/quote]

So far all the reviews have been good.
It would be helpful if you could talk about what you didn't like with this.
I need to stop at the office supply store on the way home from work tonight so I can try this out. It is one of those ideas that makes you say "why didn't I think of that"

-Max
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jun 11, 2012 08:46PM)
José's Scanner is a wonderful idea indeed! I've been playing around with it for a while and love it, it's so easy to make and the impressions are very clear. It's also very easy to reset and calibrate the impression quality. Just like the wonderful Tommy Pad and another pad that I developed and shared in the past with a few people, The Scanner is cheap and made in a minute or two.

Seadog93 asked about negatives. I personally love it and have no problems with it, but will name a few points for you to consider about your own performing conditions:

1.) A nearby source of light is essential for Real Time work. It doesn't have to be a strong light, but you will need one. The impression is very clear, but in a way that's very camouflaged from anyone who's at your sides (obviously a very good thing), so keep that in mind. That said, for pre-show, you have nothing to worry about.

2.) The pad is very examinable. Not 100% but it can definitely be inspected; that can be said about most of the best pads anyhow. Some quick thinking that should be obvious to those who purchased it will allow you to let the spec keep the pad, but I don't see why that would be necessary.

By the way, if you own Anthony Jacquin's "Mad Pad", you can turn it into a nice utility device with 2 functions.

I know many performers will be using this, both informally and onstage. Great Job José.

-Mauricio
[quote]
On 2012-06-11 21:46, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
The impression is very clear, but in a way that's very camouflaged from anyone who's at your sides (obviously a very good thing), so keep that in mind.
[/quote]

That's my problem! The imp can be seen from every angle for me really clearly, even after "calibration".

~ Nique
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jun 11, 2012 09:59PM)
Nique, I suggest you try a different brand notepad with a different color or texture. You may also want to experiment with another brand of the "you know what" that's used.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jun 12, 2012 04:43AM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-11 21:46, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
...Just like the wonderful Tommy Pad and another pad that I developed and shared in the past with a few people, The Scanner is cheap and made in a minute or two.
[/quote]

Hi Mauricio,
You kindly shared your idea with me some time ago (last year?) I think I advised that it was perhaps too close to the Tommy Pad to release. Is there a lot of similarity between Jose's pad and yours?
Cheers,
T.
Hmmm, I struck out at the local Staples office supply store on the special "you know what" Anyone in the U.S. know where to buy the special "You know what"?

-Max
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jun 12, 2012 09:21AM)
Hi Ted,

Your feedback was great for helping me track down similar concepts. Soon after, Thom kindly sent me his book; the Tommy Pad is a wonderful creation indeed. Thanks again for your help with that.

This pad is different from mine, though it does share similar characteristics when it comes down to the type of notepad you need.

Max,

I'm surprised you didn't find what you needed, I've found the right material in small corner shops in the middle of nowhere. I'm truly surprised that Staples doesn't have it. You can probably find it at any other office supply store, perhaps even at a Target. If not, just google it up and you'll find tons of sources online.
I am starting to think that the people inthe Staples store I went to just didn't want to go and find it for me. I am going to check an office supply store close to work at lunch time today.

-Max
Staples are so annoying - whenever I go I get constant hassle from salespeople "Can I help you?" "Everything ok sir?" "Looking for something in particular?"...yes, peace to browse!!! Astonishing you've asked for something basic and they can't help you.
[quote]
On 2012-06-12 12:22, David Numen wrote:
Staples are so annoying - whenever I go I get constant hassle from salespeople "Can I help you?" "Everything ok sir?" "Looking for something in particular?"...yes, peace to browse!!! Astonishing you've asked for something basic and they can't help you.
[/quote]

They always seem to ask, "Did you find everything today?" I always answer, "No, I found it yesterday, but thanks for asking."
The store I went has the salespeople that run to the backroom as soon as any customers arrive.

However I had much better luck at the Bellevue Staples store during my lunch break today. A saleperson helped me find what I was there to buy. They had the stuff that I needed in stock.

-Max
Now I did find the one thing that I needed but do you think they had any appropriate pads? No way.

So now I have to look in a buch of shops for the right pad to use.

-Max
I'm also having trouble finding the right kind of pads.

any help is appreciated

alex
(…a little late with the review, but…)

Poor Man’s James Bond IP

While I don’t think this will ever replace some of the existing commercial devices, I do like the availability and the innocence of this device. Something you can build yourself, probably for less than a dollar, and that will accomplish much of what the commercial devices will do.

The “technology” itself is not new by any means, but it looks like this particular application is original, and definitely creative. For the price of materials, you’ll want this just to play with it yourself.

The knowledge here could also be a life saver in those (hopefully rare) cases when you arrive but your equipment doesn’t. With an extra fifteen minutes and a trip to Wal-Mart, you could save the show.

One caveat, and Jose mentions this in the instruction, this will not last forever. A part of the device will need to be replaced, possibly after about five performances, but the cost is pennies, and since it’s a DIY project, you’ll already have the materials.

Overall, a very worthwhile project. Thumbs up, Jose.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this effect from the author free of charge.
I purchased this too and am very pleased. I purchased that "special material" at target and constructed the pad in just a few minutes. I could not find the ideal type of pad. My pad's cover is decorated with girly colored circles, but the impression on the inside was still pretty clear. The reset worked well too.

This pad is perfect for me. As a hobbiest, I have no need to fork out $100 on a slick professionally made pad. I like that you can use a regular pencil or pen; a special marker is unnecessary. It's easy and cheap to replace too.

I found the Scanner to be easier to construct than the Tommy Pad. The brand of "special material" that I found for the Tommy Pad didn't work too well and I didn't get a good impression. If you get the right stuff I'm sure it's great.
Found all that I needed at Office Depot today, made one up easily in a few minutes, and tested it. It works!

This will fill the bill for my needs. I haven't used it in performance yet, of course, but I feel very secure in the peek. And the reset is quick and complete if done as Jose suggests.

The pad I used is a Mead and has a green cover and doesn't flash anything to the sides.

For pre-show I would make several small pads to avoid resets as they are so cheap to make.

Good job Jose! Thank you!

Andre
I found the required pads in packs of three in my local "Two Dollar Shop!"
Don't give up. This IP works great. I really like it.
Jose sent me a review copy of this. I've had a little play with it this evening and I quite like it.

In elaboration to the question asked earlier: "What are the advantages of the "scanner" over the John Riggs' "Butterfly"?"
- Cheaper.
- Quick and easy to make. I can't make comments for stationary stores all over the world, but certainly in the UK you can pick up the notepad in most supermarkets and 99% of stationary stores. I had a supply of the special material, but likewise this is widely available. This is a pretty big positive if you want a custom pad on the cheap.
- The impressions are stronger compared to my Butterfly and Mascot Moth with my unscientific testing this evening.
- A real time peek is easier.
- If prepared well, the pad is 100% un-bustable before the effect starts.

There are some disadvantages:
- I'd prefer the the Riggs devices in low light environments (but I'd probably use a micro-cap type pad in those cases).
- Reset is slightly trickier with the scanner but you can have two performances before reset is required at all.
- You will need to remedial work on the scanner sooner than with the the moth/butterfly.
- The Scanner will withstand less inspection by the spectator after it has been used than a Riggs pad.

Will I be using The Scanner and is it worth $20?

A tentative "yes". I do like my pre-made pads but I can certainly envisage times when I might make one of these up. Certainly if you are caught short someday and can drop via a stationary store is is an effect worth having. Indeed if you are making money from your art, $20 is not an unreasonable price to pay to be able to muster a decent pad at short notice for important purposes. This is also a fair bit cheaper than a Riggs, and certainly a Paralabs pad - so if cost is an issue, I'd grab one of these.

I would have liked a routine to be included with the book - but hey - I'm greedy.
I'd recommend this, but with the caveat that it's essentially a re-invention of a previously marketed item. When Jose learned this, he did the right thing and purchased the rights to this earlier item, so kudos to him for that. I mention this only because, if the description seems like it might be familiar to you, it might be worth your time to check with Jose and make sure you're not re-buying something you already have.

All that said, it is a useful and practical way to collect info on the sly.
Mauricio, thanks for the advice. I've found another alternative which gives me a more subtle imp; probably for real time work. The former material gives a really strong imp (upon closer examination I know the reason for that too) and I think will work well for preshow - might consider doing up a small clipboard as well.

~ Nique
Hi my friends,

Just to make it clear if you purchase The Scanner and you realize that you already owned the old and limited manuscript, I will refund your money.
I also want to ask everyone to please post all your questions regarding The Scanner materials and handling at the forum that you get access when buying the eBook, I feel we are getting close to exposure in here.

If you don't have The Scanner eBook you can get it here: http://www.mindshocks.com/2012/06/19.html

Thanks everyone for your support.
Remember that you can contact me directly here: castilloprager@gmail.com
You know Jose a few of us joked around about how you release stuff and you were quite hurt by our comments...yet here they are exactly as predicted. I haven't got the pad because someone told me that it's based on Shrink's IA pad. Good for you that you've done the right thing in buying the rights for this however I am still puzzled at the release - plenty of people knew about the IA pad and it's certainly not obscure. In fact back in the day there was much discussion about it and indeed many of the names discussing it are still around.

Anyway, congratulations I guess, you've done the right thing in buying the rights and applying credit however maybe if you were less eager to release any old idea you have you might eventually stumble upon something completely original and not have this obstacle.
OK David. :)

If someone is interested in review a copy, just send me a PM.
I remember the good old IA pad, and Shrink when he was around here back in the day. I still have some of that stuff. Is it the same stuff?
I will stick with the Masters of our craft.

Rigg's
ParaLabs
Thom Bleasdale
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 16:18, Aaron E wrote:
I will stick with the Masters of our craft.

Rigg's
ParaLabs
Thom Bleasdale
[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know.
Scanner is a creative effect by a creative mind.

Respect,

granterg
Bought this today, can't wait to buy the magic stuff to make this up. From what I've read sounds really good. I couldn't really get on with the Tommy pad, I'll see how this compares. Good release Jose.
A LOT of people already have the original that came out around 7 years ago. There were pages of threads about it here on the Café. You may find quite a few people taking you up on the offer of being refunded. Seems a bit of a strange way to do business.
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 19:37, bevbevvybev wrote:
A LOT of people already have the original that came out around 7 years ago. There were pages of threads about it here on the Café. You may find quite a few people taking you up on the offer of being refunded. Seems a bit of a strange way to do business.
[/quote]

No one has asked for a refund yet.
It seems pretty simple to me. Jose came up with this idea independently, realised it had been released before, bought the rights to it and is now selling it. If you already own the other published version then he will give a refund.

What's not to like?

I'm normally the first person to cry foul when people market things poorly, and I've slung a fair bit of mud at Jose in the past. But here he is playing by the mentalists code and getting a load of hate.
Well said.
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 19:43, Davit Sicseek wrote:
It seems pretty simple to me. Jose came up with this idea independently, realised it had been released before, bought the rights to it and is now selling it. If you already own the other published version then he will give a refund.

What's not to like?

I'm normally the first person to cry foul when people market things poorly, and I've slung a fair bit of mud at Jose in the past. But here he is playing by the mentalists code and getting a load of hate.
[/quote]
I have received a review copy of "The Scanner" by Jose Prager and so here's my review:

Mentalists have always been on the lookout for the right "Impression Device that is cheap and easy to make. A few have come along but I've heard them say that they are impractical. I know many mentalists who have embraced Richard Osterlind's "Imp Pad" and works fine. But I always thought... You should be able to get an impression, whether you are using it for pre-show or real-time situations, and it should be easy to make and be able to handle them well with no fidgeting or awkward moves.

Well, after reading Jose's "The Scanner", I believe I've found that notepad. It is such a brilliant concept, that I hit myself in the head thinking, "why didn't I come up with that?" A quick trip to an office supply store should get you the necessary materials to make one of these up yourself and Jose tells you what you need to get. You may even have the necessary materials needed right in your own home. People who have posted about not finding the right pad for this effect will be delighted to hear that these pads may easily be found...well, follow the link to a secret forum that is included in the manuscript where other purchasers may share ideas with each other. The "gimmick" can be found at any Staples, Office Max, or Office Depot. After you read this manuscript I guarantee you will laugh out loud what the gimmick is and appreciate how genius it is.

Even though Jose gave me a review copy of The Scanner, I will still purchase it once he publishes it at my Mecca, Lybrary.com I'll have a backup on Lybrary's Magic Cloud System, and Jose deserves to make money on something that he releases to the fraternity. Everyone needs to pay bills! Overall, I highly recommend this ingenious Impression Pad, that has many paths of possibilities, where only your imagination can take the right one towards that what you want to achieve with your audiences.
Jose's "Scanner" is an inexpensive, easy to make I.P. that you will use if you make it up. His subtleties in the PDF are nice as well.

Not sure what the controversy is about...Jose found out this was similar to someone else's idea, and bought the rights AND is offering a refund if anyone had previous knowledge of the idea used. Seems very fair to me!

All in all, you can't go wrong with Scanner!

Kudos Jose!
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 19:43, Davit Sicseek wrote:

What's not to like?

[/quote]

Well it isn't the first time Jose has jumped to release something that isn't original...I think we'd be a bit more forgiving if he'd listen or learn. I think he's trying to suggest that the original IA pad was in some way limited but as been pointed out it was extremely well known and it wasn't like it was released in Annemann's time - it was only 7 years ago. Yeah he bought the rights but you have to wonder why he'd want to when the original was well known AND still on sale!
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jun 14, 2012 03:41AM)
I have a review copy of The Scanner. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions until I've actually used the pad but here are some initial thoughts:

1. It seems like a practical, low-cost solution.
2. The handling is fairly similar to the Tommy Pad, which is why I'm going to compare the two below. Plus, my regular pads are Tommy Pads, so I'm more than familiar with its subtleties.
3. The necessary materials are easier to find on the high-street than the stuff you need for the Tommy Pad.
4. Creating a pad is going to be quicker and easier than the Tommy Pad. And less messy.
5. You can, following one swift and logical move, convert the Tommy Pad into a regular notepad that can be given away or otherwise left for inspection. To do the same with The Scanner you'd need some privacy and a few extra seconds.

I'll come back with more once I've actually made and used one. I have to say that some of the rave reviews above seem to have been made in haste! Let's road test for a few days, guys. Your comments will stand for years on this forum. A short real-life review process beforehand is surely worthwhile? Otherwise certain questions, such as "how long between rebuilding?" will be ignored.

David Numen: As far as I knew, the AI pad has been off the market for some time. Is that not correct?

T.
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 04:41, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
I have a review copy of The Scanner. I'm not going to draw too many conclusions until I've actually used the pad but here are some initial thoughts:

1. It seems like a practical, low-cost solution.
2. The handling is fairly similar to the Tommy Pad, which is why I'm going to compare the two below. Plus, my regular pads are Tommy Pads, so I'm more than familiar with its subtleties.
3. The necessary materials are easier to find on the high-street than the stuff you need for the Tommy Pad.
4. Creating a pad is going to be quicker and easier than the Tommy Pad. And less messy.
5. You can, following one swift and logical move, convert the Tommy Pad into a regular notepad that can be given away or otherwise left for inspection. To do the same with The Scanner you'd need some privacy and a few extra seconds.

I'll come back with more once I've actually made and used one. I have to say that some of the rave reviews above seem to have been made in haste! Let's road test for a few days, guys. Your comments will stand for years on this forum. A short real-life review process beforehand is surely worthwhile? Otherwise certain questions, such as "how long between rebuilding?" will be ignored.

David Numen: As far as I knew, the AI pad has been off the market for some time. Is that not correct?

T.
[/quote]

No, the IA pad was still available. Not that it's relevant - the impression Jose has given is that the IA pad was some kind of obscure limited release from years back when a)it wasn't that long ago and b)it certainly wasn't obscure because plenty of people talked about. Indeed I recall some controversy about a secret forum where members discussed the secret behind the pad openly to other members who hadn't purchased the pad. As a result it was pretty widely known about.
I stopped supplying IA pads a few years back. But the manuscript has been available for a number of years as part of a bundle when the 7th Sense code is purchased. And still is at the moment. Jose purchased the rights to use the principle so I guess he can use it as he sees fit. Although I think maybe crediting it to the original a bit clearer would help him stop getting this reaction? Maybe even in his advertising.

As I believe he said he was going to update it with contributions from other mentalists. I don't know if he has but would be a good idea.
Let's see...20 bucks to Jose PLUS construction of a pad, OR 30.50 to Rigg's for a legends pad that he hand makes for you.

No question what I would do.
To be fair this is not a pad its a principle. The original was completely examinable fooled many top mentalists. Its not replacing anything. But when the occasion is called for can be a very strong addition to your arsenal. plus for 20 bucks you can construct a dozen for 12 bucks or less which leave things open for some very interesting applications...

But I am not selling this I will leave it up to Josh..

By the way the original product cost nearer 50 bucks.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jun 14, 2012 05:13AM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 05:46, Aaron E wrote:
Let's see...20 bucks to Jose PLUS construction of a pad, OR 30.50 to Rigg's for a legends pad that he hand makes for you.

No question what I would do.
[/quote]

That's not really a fair comparison. Most Riggs devices will last a very long time, while the type of pad that Jose is discussing is disposable.

As mindpunisher alludes to, once you've bought the instructions you can make (very easily, I would think) lots of pads for very little money. And you can continue to do so for life.

I have Riggs devices and disposable devices. As I've said to you before (regarding peaks vs i*p p*ds), it's horses for courses. Different devices, different possibilities/options.

T.
On the plus side as wonderful as Riggs devices are I think it's always practical to have something usable that you can make yourself and the IA pad (and presumably it's new form The Scanner) is definitely cheap, easy and workable.
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 19:43, J.Prager wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-06-13 19:37, bevbevvybev wrote:
[/quote]

No one has asked for a refund yet.

Thanks for taking care of my business.
[/quote]

Sigh . . .

Jose, my friend (and, yes, has I've said here before--he is my friend), easy--Bev's one of the good guys--and, like you, highly creative. A simple--"They're welcome to" would suffice.

To the ardent Jose bashers, well your opinions probably won't ever change. He'll survive.

To those who have moved a little closer to realizing that Jose's thinking is the kind that should be encouraged: don't stop pointing out what he might be doing better (in a cordial way, I would hope). He's young and extremely gifted: sometimes the two attributes clash.

To those who have always believed in Jose: this effect should only confirm your good judgement. You can be proud of him now and prouder later.

I guess this is just a long-winded way of saying let's do are best to teach the next generation, if not how to spark ideas (which isn't really necessary, for example, in Jose's case), but how to do so by covering bases and not ruffling feathers.

Finally, to both sides--the generation that is emerging and the generation that has emerged: P*ssing on people and p*ssing off people is hardly the appropriate baptism for our order/art.

Oh, and BTW, I love SWIPE, but then I have more IMPs than I need, but not as many as I want (or something like that)!
Theres not much else I can add to what everyone else has already said, but the scanner is a brilliant method and idea for an Imp Pad. It is hard to compare to other great imp pads like my parapad but the noticeable differences and benefits are of course:

1)its much cheaper
2)Replacing your scanner is super easy and simple
3) You can use any type of notepad you like to suite your performance.

I love this imp pad, brilliant idea, worth every penny. Thanks Jose for sharing this old idea with the rest of the community!

regards,

M.I.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jun 15, 2012 12:50AM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 22:58, Mind illusionist wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree. Jose is quite specific about the type to use
I'd agree that the appropriate type comes in many shapes, sizes and designs though.
T.
Oppps, my bad!

Long day--said SWIPE (which should be SWIPEIT) instead of SCANNER. I do, however, use both and think that both are really beautiful.
Have just bought the necessary to make this up. The imp*s are exceptional. This is well worth making.
I really like this, a little harder to find 'the needed' than I thought it would be (it should be everywhere you look really)

this is brilliant!

I don't think all the Tommy Pad (which I have) comparisons are needed, it's hard not to compare them for the obvious reasons of them being the same ultimate device but no more than any other IMO, a couple of handlings lend themselves well but it's pretty different to me

both are equally excellent!

I can see myself using this a lot, it has a nice freedom to it and is actually really easy to do, you can limit the need to worry about angles or anything too

if you are looking for a simple imd device, you will not be disappointed with this, it works exactly as described and is really well written for what it needs to be
[quote]
On 2012-06-15 01:50, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-06-14 22:58, Mind illusionist wrote:
[/quote]

I disagree. Jose is quite specific about the type to use
I'd agree that the appropriate type comes in many shapes, sizes and designs though.
T.
[/quote]

My apologies, that's what I meant to say! Thanks for the correction Simon.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jun 24, 2012 09:27AM)
Following a week of trialling The Scanner, I have posted my thoughts [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=471080&forum=82&0]here[/url].
T.
Many thanks Simon!
I am very sorry for the late reply, I have been very busy working on some projects.

In the next 48 hours if you get The Scanner I will send you Mind Veil for free.
The beautiful thing is that they work perfectly using the same single notepad! So you will have to powerful tools for mind reading using the same notepad!

More info about The Scanner: http://www.mindshocks.com/2012/06/19.html
More about Mind Veil: http://www.mindshocks.com/2012/05/mind-veil_27.html

Best wishes to all.
Jose, I have just purchased the 'Scanner'. I'm impressed (pun intended) and I appreciate the review Simon has given to this simple but brilliant tool. I did not receive 'Mind Veil' however. What do I need to do to get it?

Ray
Hi Ray!
Many thanks.

I am sending you Mind Veil right now.
Thanks Jose. Now I'm doubly impressed. I love the simple concept and will be using it from now on.

Ray
I have made my purchase, and I am eager to make one of these up and see how well it works. This will be at least my fourth impression device (Osterlind's pad, Annemann's Mental Masterpiece as taught by Max Maven and Thom Bleasdale's Tommy Pad being the other three), and I should note I also own the TeleThought wallet which sort of achieves a similar result. I do not know why I gravitate toward these things. Can't wait to see how this thing plays in the real world.

Bobby
The Scanner delivers very good, dependable imps. I think you'll be amazed at this Bobby!
I put together my first Scanner this evening. It makes very crisp impressions and the angles are really great. I am going to have a lot of fun with this one!

Thank you, Jose!
As one of the original purchasers of the IA Pad...I'm sad to see that it's price has dropped and it has been repackaged.
Just ordered... fantastic. I am making up the pad this afternoon. Plus, the ideas in the secret section are sensational as well

thanks
I still havent found the correct pad. Every one I have tried leaves little to no impression. Jose's inbox in full so can someone please PM me with some options

Thanks
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 4, 2012 07:29PM)
PM me with details of what you have tried and I may be able to help.
T.
I'm having the same problem, and have just been using a clipboard. Neither Staples, nor oFfice Depot, nor Target had appropriate pads. It's frustrating. As a clipboard however, I am very impressed. The work is easy, and it does it's job well. That's why I'm frustrated, as I know this thing works beautifully!
The material Staples uses for their book binding works great. I cut a peice and glued it to the inside cover of a 3x5 memo pad. Once I applied the secret ingredient over the plastic the impressions were fine. But it's an unworkable solution. The gimmick is easily seen when spectator rips their sheet out.

Jose should have included a link in his pdf to where he buys his pads. The ones I have tried simply do not work.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 6, 2012 04:54AM)
The gimmick is invisible if you follow Jose's instructions. It is covered by a sheet of paper.
T.
In theory, but the truth is people grab and rip. They may lift cover sheets along with their own and discover the secret. I suppose using a proper pad the gimmick is hidden or at least better camouflaged but with my makeshift pad it's glaringly obvious.
I'm sure this works. In fact I know it works. I'm just sore because the maker does not respond to emails about this product.
I dog ear a lower corner of the page upwards for the spectator as I hand them the pad, to facilitate an easy pick up of a single sheet afterward.

~ Nique
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 6, 2012 05:46AM)
I have taken a photo of the pads that I use, in the hope that those who are still unsure about exactly what they need will get a better idea. I've attached the file to this message. These pads cost less than £1 each. The type of pad I'm showing is available in many places. I bought these at Tesco, which is the UK's biggest supermarket. The US and other countries all sell something similar.

I use these for two different types of imp pad: The Tommy Pad and The Scanner.

Here's a difference between the two that I noticed just recently. If you put each pad away for a few days you need to reset The Scanner, while the Tommy Pad is ready to go. Not a significant difference, but one worth knowing about.

T.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 6, 2012 05:48AM)
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 06:25, nique wrote:
I dog ear a lower corner of the page upwards for the spectator as I hand them the pad, to facilitate an easy pick up of a single sheet afterward.

~ Nique
[/quote]

Very nice touch. That would work with the Tommy Pad too.
There is a subtlety in the Tommy Pad instructions that directs the participant to remove only one page. This would work for The Scanner too.
T.
I've actually been using this since my Tommy Pad days. I do understand the fear of the spectator pinching off more than what he's supposed to, and have tried a couple of ways for securing the page (including repositionable glue) but have found that just the bent corner to be sufficient.

~ Nique
The pads Ted shows above can be purchased in 3 packs for a dollar at Big Lots here in the states. I am really surprised by some of the comments on this thread. JOse has done the right thing here he realized he reinvented a previously released product bought it's rights and has been very generous with his offerings. I communicated with JOse when he first appeared here concerning a peek wallet he was working on earlier on we exchanged some useful info and found him wanting to do the right thing. He has seemed to be open to communication and taking feedback from those far more experienced then him and his creativity runs pretty freely. I do not own SCANNER but I have not found one bad review on the product, I wish him well with this product.
Mr edwards, could you please give us a few more details about these pads? brand? manufacturer? and such. I have been having trouble finding pads as well, all the ones around here have like a poster board cover.
I did not find the right pads at an office supply store. It seems like discount stores and supermarkets are the places that carry the pads we are looking for.

-Max
Dear friends,

I am currently working on a practical solution for all of you.
I will send you an update soon.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 6, 2012 12:03PM)
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 09:35, TJ Halford wrote:
Mr edwards, could you please give us a few more details about these pads? brand? manufacturer? and such. I have been having trouble finding pads as well, all the ones around here have like a poster board cover.
[/quote]

Where are you, geographically?
T.
Tennessee, US
Those tesco pads are ruled I think, anyone ever have trouble with a drawing being done on a ruled pad?

It doesn't bother me to use it but from an aesthetic point of view when performing I like to have blank pads which seem harder to come by

I have been using the tesco ones for a couple of years and sainsburys have a similar addition
@tboehnlein

Thanks for the tip to go to Big Lots. I've been looking all over for plain poly-plastic cover pads like this and had no luck until today. 8-packs for $2.50! The brand is bridgeport (distributed by: Big Lots) made in china. I gave it a try with the gimmick and it works great.
Thanks for the tip. I will have to go 2 counties over to check but I know where a big lots is. hopefully they will have some
"Those tesco pads are ruled I think, anyone ever have trouble with a drawing being done on a ruled pad?

It doesn't bother me to use it but from an aesthetic point of view when performing I like to have blank pads which seem harder to come BY

I have never given a 2nd thought to it.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Aug 7, 2012 10:04AM)
Nor I.
T.
I will be going to Big Lots later this evening. Thanks for the tip, I had been getting really flustered trying to find the pads.
No luck at a Big Lots here! I have pads from José's previous IMP endeavor which I found easily. They work for this. I'm still looking for more pads to build the Scanner as intended. Not had any luck at all. Its crazy out there! :lol:
Definitely, I thought I was going to be able to find the pads easy, and have trouble finding the secret ingredient, but its been the exact opposite. It took me all of 3 minutes to find the latter, and I have been searching for weeks to find the right pads
Well I did find some pads at Big Lots. The covers are a bit more flimsy than I prefer, but eh. 2 bucks for a pack of 8, not too bad. I'm going to make up a couple scanners now and play with em tonight to see how they handle.
Has anybody from Germany bought this Ebook?

I would like to know whether the probs are easy to buy in Germany.

Thanks
I'm not sure about the pads in germany. I actually had a bit of a time finding the proper pads here in the states so not sure what that suggests. The Pad though is only one of several uses for The Scanner. I actually use it more with a clipboard. I have a clear plastic board with The Scanner applied to it which works fantastically. It's really a clever and adaptable means to an end. I haven't used any other I********* De***e before, and now I don't know that I'd need to. If you like cheap, DIY, lo-tech stuff then jose's Scanner is a surefire way to go, in my mind.
Does sound interesting...but whatt will I learn from it? I have the tommy pad, para-stuff and riggs...

what does this give me that those don't?
If you are in the US and having difficulty finding the right pads, shoot me a PM.
As I said, I haven't used other devices so I really can't comment on what you'll get that's different. What I can tell you though is that if you're travelling and they loose your props a quick trip to Walmart can net you a clipboard or pad (with effort finding the right pads) for under 10 dollars, and with hundreds of uses. The setup also takes only a few minutes, and while the reset can't really be done in front of an audience, when it does need to be done takes only a second or two.
Thanks to mr cutts for the pm...

and the dog-eared corner ruse (and other techniques) is taught on the jon riggs teach-in dvd...
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 7, 2013 12:46PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-07 11:40, IAIN wrote:
Does sound interesting...but whatt will I learn from it? I have the tommy pad, para-stuff and riggs...

what does this give me that those don't?
[/quote]

Essentially you can make something similar to a Tommy pad, but using materials you'll find in any newsagent. Cheap, easy but effective.

T.
Funnily enough last night I came across the pad I made up a couple of months ago. After doing a little something (owners will know what I mean), I found the pad as effective as ever. I even tried it out on my wife, giving her a pencil to write with, and the i* was crystal clear.
Is the impression better than with the Butterfly? My Butterfly pad doesn't create consistently good impressions.
I just constructed my first Scanner Pad and I cannot see an image no matter what I do.... any ideas?
I have several other pads (ParaPad, Tommy Pad, Psypher, etc...) but I like to experiment and try all version and this thing seems to be a complete waste of time. The instructions are very poorly written and make it hard to figure out exactly what they are trying to say in the construction portion. Another member on here helped me through them and mentioned after I sent a copy and paste of the construction portion asking for directions that they seem "more poorly written they remembered".
Any help with this thing would be appreciated, feel free to PM any details.
Thanks in advance !
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 8, 2015 07:32AM)
PM'd you.
T.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Jan 8, 2015 11:28AM)
Problem solved, but not by me :-)
T.
I know this is an old post but I only came across this product the other day.Yes been outta the loop a while.I bought the original from shrink moons ago.I also asked for a refund from him as the idea is in almanns ceromentics. I'm surprised shrink took your money as he was made aware he had invented the wheel again.He still owes me a refund.
Link in pdf to forum does not work.
Any tips?
Tried contacting Jose. No reply.
Https://e-mentalism.com/collections/ebooks/products/the-man-who-knows-how-to-amuse-and-mystify

see TOC

Wolfgang
And here you will get The Scanner ebook only

https://e-mentalism.com/products/the-scanner-new-edition-by-jose-prager
Well worth making up. I have always found The Scanner very effective but you do need to do something prior to use, just to make sure :-)