(Close Window)
Topic: KFC Commercial tells the truth
Message: Posted by: TheAmbitiousCard (Jun 12, 2012 11:52AM)
Has any one seen the KFC Commercial where the crowd loves the magician's sungalsses appearance, but soon some dude's box of chicken takes center stage and they don't give a crap about the magician levitating?

There's a lot of truth to that commercial that I'll bet most magicians won't admit exists, unless they've worked the street a while.

What I found particularly interesting is that after the sunglasses appeared, the magician went right into "magician-esque patter mode" which was hilariously sad to me, but all too real.

On the street, anything can take your audience away and "magic patter" isn't going to bring them back.
Even at the end of the commercial, nobody cared that he was levitating. It was too late by then. Again, all too real.
You have to give your audience more than swell tricks and illusions to keep them interested.


Otherwise you'll be upstaged by a box of chicken.
Message: Posted by: TristanBuckley (Jun 12, 2012 12:31PM)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAAagLUAtc]This[/url] is the only KFC magic commercial I can find. I haven't seen the one you're talking about, but I know the feeling all too well.
Message: Posted by: Ekuth (Jun 12, 2012 01:21PM)
Meh. If I flashed that bad on the sunglasses reveal, I'd expect my crowd to be more interested in the chicken.
Message: Posted by: EVILDAN (Jun 12, 2012 02:18PM)
I have seen the commercial. The magician is Michael Carbonaro. He's also the magic clerk on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Message: Posted by: TheAmbitiousCard (Jun 15, 2012 04:59PM)
I think the commercial did a great job to remind us that you need MORE than to stand around spewing magic patter and offering
a few clever tricks.
Message: Posted by: Ekuth (Jun 15, 2012 10:08PM)
That commercial had clever tricks?
Message: Posted by: Kozmo (Jun 16, 2012 06:09PM)
Frank....simple things get them back as they drift off....voice inflection is huge.......trust me on this...someone starts to drift raise your voice for just a moment.....boom they are back
Message: Posted by: ringmaster (Jun 17, 2012 12:51PM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-12 13:31, TristanBuckley wrote:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbAAagLUAtc]This[/url] is the only KFC magic commercial I can find. I haven't seen the one you're talking about, but I know the feeling all too well.
[/quote] http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=467191&forum=6&8
Message: Posted by: DoctorCognos (Jun 20, 2012 12:29AM)
Frank pointed out something that a lot of folks miss. The language! If you are performing for magicians, use magician language. If working others, make your patter interesting for them.

If you just do tricks, they had better be strong. But if you are engaging them with a story, and the magic is just a tool to convey it, you will do much better.

Not that the magic shouldn't be strong, it should. But don't force it to stand naked. Dress it in up in a memorable performance/story and you will have them bringing back friends; "You gotta see this!"

The Doctor
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jun 26, 2012 10:40AM)
Let's keep in mind that if you're appearing in a KFC commercial, you could change water to wine and heal lepers and they're still going to look over at the guy with the chicken.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jun 26, 2012 10:57AM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-26 11:40, ed rhodes wrote:
Let's keep in mind that if you're appearing in a KFC commercial, you could change water to wine and heal lepers and they're still going to look over at the guy with the chicken.
[/quote]
They have lepers at KFC?

ICK!!!
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jun 29, 2012 11:25AM)
Well, Taco Bell can't hire all of them! :lol:
Message: Posted by: FunTimeAl (Jun 29, 2012 03:41PM)
[quote]
On 2012-06-20 01:29, DoctorCognos wrote:
Frank pointed out something that a lot of folks miss. The language! If you are performing for magicians, use magician language. If working others, make your patter interesting for them.

If you just do tricks, they had better be strong. But if you are engaging them with a story, and the magic is just a tool to convey it, you will do much better.

Not that the magic shouldn't be strong, it should. But don't force it to stand naked. Dress it in up in a memorable performance/story and you will have them bringing back friends; "You gotta see this!"[/quote]


Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gawd, if I could have 1 wish about magic, it would be that magicians don't believe for one moment that magic alone is enough to entertain a crowd. YOU have to be the entertainment. NOT the trick.

Who is the famous magician that said we should think of ourselves as actors playing the part of a magician?

Brilliant, that.

Ham is up. Play it up. Educate that audience.

Impossible sh!t happens every time I pick up my iPhone. We gotta sell our miracles BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!