(Close Window)
Topic: "Feel The Cane" A Great Edge Builder by Ekuth
I used to use my Losander Table to gather crowds.
It was hard to top that effect at the end of my show.
I often heard, "Float the table again!". It worked too well!

Sometimes it was far too windy to use the table in addition to my fears that it would "wander away",
whilst I was unawares or become damaged due to the "grabbers" etc.....

I recently found a perfect replacement. A dancing cane which was made by our very own "Ekuth".
It came with a very nicely decorated rugged carrying case, which helps me to prevent damage during my trips.

I have had huge success with this cane out on the pitch. Since mine is white, folks can see it from far away.
The jewel on the tip catches the sun and helps to give it a nice touch of class.

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sXLTcqV2SkI/T-KF-p0I6zI/AAAAAAAAAvg/q-s6fuHXSmo/s400/Cane1.JPG[/img][img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9gOCWmzJSyQ/T-KGDglZYoI/AAAAAAAAAvo/p_JJtfvUyfc/s400/Cane2.JPG[/img]

I cannot recommend this more highly folks....In the past, I've also tried my rings to build my edge, but this works
better because I can start and stop the dancing sequence anywhere versus the rings that have to have a certain
sequence etc...

I'd also like to say that I've used "Sugar Rush" as a crowd builder as well, since I have the [i]Candy Man[/i]
look whenever I wear my "Candyman Coat"

I don't know if Ekuth sells or makes these in masse, but I was floored when my unit arrived in the mail.
I'm curious if you folks would mind sharing your crowd building ideas here?
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dLjlzVVX3T8/T-KHJTcrttI/AAAAAAAAAvw/Rcl_ztOAmGg/s640/DSC00743.JPGI[/img]
Is this for street busking? If it is, then is the gimmick sufficiently invisible in day light? Do you just have to draw a reasonably large circle around your table to control the crowd?
Hey, I recognize that!

I'm happy to hear it's working well for you, hermano; my gift to you for... well, being one of the best guys I've ever known.
Labor of respect. I'd say love, but you know... already married and all. ;)

@AlexB:

I use the brother cane to the one Devious has there to build my edge; it has the same limitations as a standard dancing cane.
Light control is necessary for any cane routine, there are many excellent threads on them here. If you can find it, David Mann's Dancing Cane 101 is an excellent resource, as well as Jeff McBride's Revolution for more advanced techniques.

But in answer to your question, yes you *could* do it in daylight, but the method would be obvious. I recommend dusk or controlled lighting. I busk at twilight/night (hey, it's AZ) and it always draws attention.

Folks tend to stay out of range, never had a problem with that... so far.

The cane(s) are extremely light (I believe his weighed in at 2.6 oz) and are made of handshaped balsa laminate and handpainted caps and feet are made from bass for sturdiness. They do not offer retractable gimmicks, but that's simply because I haven't tried to make one with it yet... too many projects. I balance each cane by hand to ensure proper response.

Each cane comes with a decorated PVC carry case that provides secure, rugged transportation.

Canes can be customized with varying colors, although high visibility ones are best.

Standard canes for $60 +shipping.
Lighted canes for $90 +shipping. Blue, Red, Clear. Runs on button cell batteries.

This is the one I use, my first lighted prototype cane:

[img]http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5205/25850485.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2161/96392729.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/4117/49303976.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3543/30184511.jpg[/img]

Thank you, Brother Devious for the shout out! You da' man!
Great, thank you for all the info! Oh my god, I am so tempted...
My wife and I go to "spin jams" and other juggling events and it we always see people with floating canes. It has crossed over from magic to the realm of the juggler. Just letting you know.
@Evildan:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of 'flow warriors' around lately; the DC isn't as esoteric as it used to be, sadly. Still gets good reactions, though and is good for getting attention!
Ekuth,

Nice looking canes!!!
Those canes look BEAUTIFUL!

It's amazing the talented people we have here on the Magic Café!
Is there anyone out there who lives [b]in the UK or Germany[/b] and who would like to order one of these canes? I want one (badly), but I would like to spread the shipping costs of 50 US Dollars. Please send me a PM if you want to make a collective order.
Any one got these canes in action, love to see it?
[quote]
On 2012-06-21 03:25, AlexB wrote:
Is this for street busking? If it is, then is the gimmick sufficiently invisible in day light? Do you just have to draw a reasonably large circle around your table to control the crowd?
[/quote]

I've used a dancing cane for the build for several years now, and spent a lot of time analyzing the lighting. Generally, it only works once the sun starts to set.

However ... I do have a dancing wand that works in broad daylight surrounded by a live audience even at high noon. It draws crowds fast ... and is a real wood wand that can be used as a wand for cups and balls as well ... you can even tap it on the ground like Cellini.

I'll be spilling all the gory details on my upcoming Web Spinner DVD to be filmed when my summer season at Barefoot is over. :)

-JoeJoe
[quote]
On 2012-06-22 14:40, Mario Morris wrote:
Any one got these canes in action, love to see it?
[/quote]

Ask, and ye shall recieve. This is a clip from one of my b-day gigs; not the best quality or venue. I was stuck in a small corner of a small room... couldn't do most of the better moves; and the lighting was awful for vid, but for what it's worth:

http://youtu.be/mJ26xCuJWFM
Thanks Ekuth, so that cane is the standard you make?
Ekuth, that was a wonderful, theatrical performance. Thank you for letting us see it.
@Mario:

Devious' is the standard model as it were, the lighted is the 'deluxe'.

@Zombie:

You're being generous, but thank you. The room was FAR too small; I couldn't do the better moves without fear of whapping my audience in the face... not good to impale the birthday child with your dancing cane... tend not to get repeat business that way.

That was a rough gig, but my favorite bit on the tape is when one of the *ahem* precious little wonders goes "whaaaat?". Made me smile!

For the full routine I need about a 10x10 space.
Fantastic,nice work!
That was great to watch oh modest one. I have to admit, I have been performing magic since I was 9 years old, I'm 31 now, still don't know how the dancing cane is performed! I love those certain effects that I haven't gotten into and don't know the "secrets" to yet. I get to feel like I'm 9 all over again! I purposely have a few tricks that I have refused to buy (even if I have an idea about the method and how they work) because I don't want to know and lose that wonder. Thanks for sharing the video.
Ekuth, I agree with the above posters. While the film quality may be dim, the performance shines. Very nice!
Wow that looked so doggone ...magical!
*shuffles feet*

Awww. Thanks, y'all.

Working on Lighted Cane Version 2.0 now. Should have some pics up soon. Thinking red or clear this time around. I'm also playing around with the idea of a shorter "dancing wand" version, if there'd be any interest.
[quote]
On 2012-07-09 14:53, Ekuth wrote:
*shuffles feet*

Awww. Thanks, y'all.

Working on Lighted Cane Version 2.0 now. Should have some pics up soon. Thinking red or clear this time around. I'm also playing around with the idea of a shorter "dancing wand" version, if there'd be any interest.
[/quote]Price on cane ver 2.0 and Dancing Wand?
Same as Ver 1.0; wand... non-lit I'd say $30 - 40, lit would likely be $40 - $50.

I'll firm up wand pricing once I figure out what's involved in making them. Should be fairly simple.

I *did* get one of those fantastic 'middle of the night why the heck am I thinking about magic when I should be asleep' ideas last night about how to increase the durability of the canes AND provide a retractable 'gimmick'. Just need to do some shopping about to source the material I was thinking of.

If I'm right, it should dramatically increase the durability and add very little weight.
Great pricing Ekuth!
Thanks for the headsup on the newer version, please keep us posted mate.
A lighted cane sounds spectacular!
Ekuth--I might very well be interested in the wand when you get to making them. Love to see a prototype in action. I've seen a number of dancing wands, some "traditional" magician's wands and others really just mini-canes. I'd be hoping for reasonably small (10"-15") to be a true wand, but more interesting-looking than a black-and-white. Like a good cups & balls wand.
I'll keep y'all posted; most likely will be knocking together a wand prototype this weekend.
Your cane was a hit at a Pre-Comic-Con Event today.
I could've sold dozens of them, if I wanted to tip the secret of course.

On a somber note, a woman from Mass. was killed whilst crossing the street
trying to regain her spot in line. An elderly man through no fault of his
own, hit her with his auto carriage. She died from head injuries sustained.

She was there mainly to elbow rub with the The "Twilight" cast and crew.
Producers and cast have created a fund and memorial for her at the event.