(Close Window)
Topic: Getting Ready for the Pitch
Alright guys, after a lot of reading and asking questions. This Friday I start Busking at Summerfest. I have a table, a sign, a happie amp and Rope to lay out to set my stage. I have debated much over how many effects to perform, and which ones would work best, and this is what I have came up with.
Building the Edge- I decided to do a one coin routine ending with a jumbo. ( I am also going to bring my dancing cane, but am worried about the gimmick being seen) From there I go into a short introduction, introducing myself, setting the expectation letting everyone know I will be doing a show and accepting tips at the end.
Act 1- I then go into French kiss; this has been a staple in my close up work for some time now. When I do repeat shows, itís the most requested effect I have. Itís filled with tons of original lines, and good fun. And plays big for a parlor type setting as well.
Act 2- I then go into a nice fiber optic style one rope routine, I plan on using a kid to help me out with this one. Ending with the kid restoring the rope, to make ďhim the starĒ. Now I prep the crowd for my final effect, and remind them I will be asking for tips.
Act 3- The Grand Finally, and I actually have 2 different effects, I would like to perform the Devilís nail, but I am worried about the cups blowing over if its windy (the festival is right on lake Michigan) If wind is an issue, I will be doing my Cups and balls routine. Itís a mixture of Dai Vernon, Gazzo, and a bunch of my own lines and gags. I End with 4 Oranges, and a 40oz of beer as the hat load. (beer is perfect for this event)
Hat Lines- Now I thank everyone for watching the show, and go into a few hat lines, as I hold my Hat out.
Rinse and repeat.

Because I donít have much experience busking, I donít expect to make a ton of money right away. I just want to know that I have prepped enough, and that I am doing everything right. As long as I know I am doing everything right, I know that itís just my performance that needs to be polished, and that will only come with experience.

Does anyone here have any other tips, or advice for me? Or see any flaws in what I have planned? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Luka
Just had an idea, inspired from another post I saw somewhere on the Cafť. After my rope routine, and the Kid restores the rope, would it be wise to tip the kid a buck for "doing my job for me?"
[quote]
On 2012-06-26 16:48, AndyLuka wrote:
Just had an idea, inspired from another post I saw somewhere on the Cafť. After my rope routine, and the Kid restores the rope, would it be wise to tip the kid a buck for "doing my job for me?"
[/quote]

I saw a similar post and understand the psychology there. I think Danny
Hustle posted this. I like this idea and going to try it myself.

I'd like to know your results (monetary and otherwise) if you don't mind
sharing it here...

It seems you are already a performer; and have worked out the logisitcs
and potential trouble areas...the only advise I can give is have fun
and don't drink too much while while performing :)
I saw a guy do this in Covent Garden...it was a thing of beauty....it was something on the lines of

He asked "Should I give him money"? Crowd said yes of course.

Next line "So you agree you should pay people who entertain you?"......the faces on the audience was wonderful.
[quote]
On 2012-06-29 13:12, djurmann wrote:
I saw a guy do this in Covent Garden...it was a thing of beauty....it was something on the lines of

He asked "Should I give him money"? Crowd said yes of course.

Next line "So you agree you should pay people who entertain you?"......the faces on the audience was wonderful.
[/quote]

That is verrrry clever.