(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Tarbell tricks?
I just got the older Tarbell's and was wondering what (if any) effects are your favorites and if any of you currently use anything from the series in your act.

It's a lot of stuff to read so I was hoping you guys could point me to some cool, sure-fire stuff to start with.

Thanks! :)
I can't remember which volume it's in, but my favorite rope routine--which I use in practically all of my stand-up talk performances--is Ted Collins's "Panama Rope Mystery." Hold on. It's in Volume 2. There's a listing of the contents of each volume at:
http://magicref.tripod.com/bookssz/tarbell1.htm
Just subtitute "tarbell1.htm" with "tarbell2.htm" etc to see the contents of the other volumes.

I also like "Pack Full of Pep" credited to Lou Tannen in the rising card chapter of Volume 2. It's a great way to open a series of card tricks and can be done close-up without the audience seeing anything.

If you're into card flourishes, Audley Walsh's Long Distance Side Spinner is great. I first saw Johnny Hart use this flourish on an Ed Sullivan Show in the 1960's, Very visual! I "shuffle" the four aces into the deck and then they come flying out of the deck with a thumb flick.

There's also a nice 20th century silks routine with ungimmicked silks in one of the chapters on silk magic. Also a great bare-hand silk production in Volume 4, pages 366-367. (I am able to be specific about the volume and page numbers because I reference this production in my own magic lecture.)

These are off the top of my head and relate primarily to manipulative magic. I expect that other people will chime in with their favorites from each volume.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Thanks Anatole. :)
The effect from Tarbell I have done the most over the last 55 years is "Knife through Coat" -- the one using a small dicardable gaff. I performed this last week at the local IBM Circle and it was "new again" for old members and schocking for yonger ones who have never seen a man's jacket before ;-). PM me if you can't find it and I'll look it up.