(Close Window)
Topic: Time travel confusion
Okay, I know some of you know this. How many Marty McFlys existed at one time? I know of two, the one that went from 1955 to 1985 then Marty ran up to marft, wait, three martys sharing one brain or different dimensions. What about 1885 Marty? Please explain this, thank you.
Multiverse theory. I learned about it from Jet Li's "The One." Soon, one of the Marty McFlys will kill all of the other Marty McFlys and become the One Marty McFly who rules the... Huh. I never realized how derivitive The One is of Highlander until I typed this.
What abou the Marty Marty saw go back who 2015 Marty saw in in 1955 while in 1985 go back so there seems to be a Marty loop in there.
Not to derail this thread, but:

On a related note, if you are a fan of time-travel novels, then might I suggest a favourite of mine. It is "The Anubis Gates" by Tim Powers.

It is absolutely enchanting. Thank me later.

http://www.sfreviews.net/anubis_gates.html
Time travel confuses me and reading about it would mess me upcompletely.

I ponder things like if I bury a tv will the political ads help plants grow.
All of us time travel every day. As we speed down the freeway in our car or on the bus to work, time does slow down for us a very, very, very tiny bit compared to our companions who stayed at home. When you arrive at your destination, you will be a millionth of a billionth of a second younger than your companion who stayed at home. Of course, if you traveled closer to the speed of light while going to work, this time difference would become quite obvious -- you will have aged only a few minutes while your companion at home will have aged centuries. Einstein's theories of relativity and special relativity. Interesting stuff. Really makes you think about reality and what aspects of reality we presume to be unchanging, static, and solid.
Hoodrat, you are not welcome to Hot August Nights for tormenting me.
Hey, didn't we already have this thread in 2013?

Ron
There was and is only one Marty McFly. In the films he was in close proximity to himself several times, but they were simply Marty's at different ages. When one traveled back to where another was, that was no different than driving somewhere to see a friend. If one had come face to face with another, there would have been no great cataclysm. Just an older McFly having to explain to a confused younger one, what was going on. There was an episode of "Smallville" where an older, already superman, Clark meets a younger one. They got it right. The older one knew what was going on and had to explain to the younger one. The older was impatient and contemptuous of the younger not getting it.
.emit gnitanigiro rieht ni daerht deretla eht revocsid dna emit ni kcab levart yeht litnu ecnereffid eht eciton t’nod coD dna ytraM .ytilaer lanigiro sih morf tnereffid ytilaer etanretla na etaerc dna daerht rehtona ot pmuj yllautca dluoc eh ,emit ni kcab slevart ffiB dlo nehW

.enilemit thgiarts eno gnola gnilevart reven tub ,gnigrevnoc semitemos ,snoitcerid tnereffid ni tuoba gnivom sdaerht suoirav htiw ,emit fo ”yrtsepat“ a si efil taht yas s’teL .xob eht edistuo kniht s’teL

˙ǝuop pɐɥ ɟɟıq ʇɐɥʍ pǝɹǝʌoɔsıp puɐ ǝɯıʇ uı ʞɔɐq pǝןǝʌɐɹʇ p’ʎǝɥʇ ǝɔuo ǝɹnʇnɟ ǝɥʇ oʇ uɹnʇǝɹ oʇ ssǝןʇınɹɟ ǝq pןnoʍ ʇı sǝʌǝıןǝq ɔop ʎɥʍ puɐ '(ǝuıןǝɯıʇ ǝןƃuıs ɐ uo pןnoʍ ʇı sɐ) ǝuıɥɔɐɯ ǝɯıʇ uǝןoʇs ǝɥʇ uı sɹɐǝddɐsıp ɟɟıq ʇɐɥʇ ʇuɐʇsuı ʇɔɐxǝ ǝɥʇ uı ɔop puɐ ʎʇɹɐɯ punoɹɐ ǝƃuɐɥɔ ʇ’usǝop pןɹoʍ ǝɹıʇuǝ ǝɥʇ ʎɥʍ ɹoɟ uoıʇɐuɐןdxǝ uɐ sɹǝɟɟo ʎɹoǝɥʇ sıɥʇ

.sharks holographic giant by replaced posters movie or ,hoverboards have t’don we and ,1985 than 2015 to closer now is it that is travesty real only the ,Honestly .awesome s’it because guess I ?series this love and smile to able we are then why ,disbelief of suspension and ,realities altered ,paradox the all With
Understand that I mean this in the nicest possible way...

I really [i]really[/i] hate you Sal.
Marty saw himself go back in time at the end of part one, is there just loops? There haas to be at least two Martys.
[quote]On 2012-07-29 03:21, MagicSanta wrote:
I ponder things like if I bury a tv will the political ads help plants grow.[/quote]
No. Too much poison in their words.
I made a chart so it is easier to comprehend.

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/zz59ebc0ca.jpg
I knew someone could explain it.
Oh, I understand--no, I don't. ;)
On a time travel note, Stephen King's 11/23/63 was an awesome book in my opinion. If you guys could go back in time to either try and stop an event or to just observe an event, what would it be?
Remember that movie where the carrier went back to ww2 8n time for the 0earl Harbor attack? The one officer who went back in time was met later on by himself. So there must be two Martys at minimum.
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-jtxZ3QCc
Can't watch youtube
[quote]
On 2012-07-29 13:12, Salguod Nairb wrote:
.emit gnitanigiro rieht ni daerht deretla eht revocsid dna emit ni kcab levart yeht litnu ecnereffid eht eciton t’nod coD dna ytraM .ytilaer lanigiro sih morf tnereffid ytilaer etanretla na etaerc dna daerht rehtona ot pmuj yllautca dluoc eh ,emit ni kcab slevart ffiB dlo nehW

.enilemit thgiarts eno gnola gnilevart reven tub ,gnigrevnoc semitemos ,snoitcerid tnereffid ni tuoba gnivom sdaerht suoirav htiw ,emit fo ”yrtsepat“ a si efil taht yas s’teL .xob eht edistuo kniht s’teL

˙ǝuop pɐɥ ɟɟıq ʇɐɥʍ pǝɹǝʌoɔsıp puɐ ǝɯıʇ uı ʞɔɐq pǝןǝʌɐɹʇ p’ʎǝɥʇ ǝɔuo ǝɹnʇnɟ ǝɥʇ oʇ uɹnʇǝɹ oʇ ssǝןʇınɹɟ ǝq pןnoʍ ʇı sǝʌǝıןǝq ɔop ʎɥʍ puɐ '(ǝuıןǝɯıʇ ǝןƃuıs ɐ uo pןnoʍ ʇı sɐ) ǝuıɥɔɐɯ ǝɯıʇ uǝןoʇs ǝɥʇ uı sɹɐǝddɐsıp ɟɟıq ʇɐɥʇ ʇuɐʇsuı ʇɔɐxǝ ǝɥʇ uı ɔop puɐ ʎʇɹɐɯ punoɹɐ ǝƃuɐɥɔ ʇ’usǝop pןɹoʍ ǝɹıʇuǝ ǝɥʇ ʎɥʍ ɹoɟ uoıʇɐuɐןdxǝ uɐ sɹǝɟɟo ʎɹoǝɥʇ sıɥʇ

.sharks holographic giant by replaced posters movie or ,hoverboards have t’don we and ,1985 than 2015 to closer now is it that is travesty real only the ,Honestly .awesome s’it because guess I ?series this love and smile to able we are then why ,disbelief of suspension and ,realities altered ,paradox the all With
[/quote]

?hpargarap dr3 eht od uoy did kceh eht woH
¡sıɥʇ ǝʞıl ʇı pıp ǝɥ ʞuıɥʇ I ʎllɐnʇɔ∀
¿sıɥʇ ǝʞıן ʇı op ʇou ʎɥʍ

http://www.fliptext.org/
[quote]
On 2012-07-30 01:44, mastermindreader wrote:
¿sıɥʇ ǝʞıן ʇı op ʇou ʎɥʍ

http://www.fliptext.org/
[/quote]

¡qoq 'sʞuɐɥʇ
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-best-time-time-travel-movies

My favourite is Primer, #4 on the list
Boq sı ɐ ןןıʞzznq˙
(: ˙˙˙pɹɐoq sıɥʇ ɹoɟ puǝ ǝɥʇ ɟo buıuuıbǝq ǝɥʇ ʎןqɐqoɹd sı sıɥʇ ˙˙˙ou 'ɥo
Ok, stop it... just, stop it.
[quote]
On 2012-07-30 10:08, ed rhodes wrote:
Ok, stop it... just, stop it.
[/quote]

It's a time travel thing... You wouldn't understand...
Just turn you monitor upside down, and view it in a mirror. Duh...
Since I have gone back in time, the reflection hasn't yet occurred, so I can't see anything!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jul 30, 2012 07:58PM)
There was an authorized sequel to The Time Machine.

The problem is more for the author to contrive why his characters don't recall things that the reader would expect.
I notice no one's mentioned David Gerrold's 'The Man Who Folded Himself.' Gets really convulted toward the end, can't tell you more without spoilers.
That's it, I'm going to ban Sizzler!
[quote]
On 2012-08-03 15:22, ed rhodes wrote:
I notice no one's mentioned David Gerrold's 'The Man Who Folded Himself.'...
[/quote]

Perhaps that's due to the self interaction notion being covered pretty well by Heinlein back in 1958 in [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E2%80%94All_You_Zombies%E2%80%94]this[/url] story?
That story, the trick was that you didn't know what was going on till the last page. (Which was a good thing.)
David's story, he was trying to deal with the social aspect (or lack thereof) of being a time traveler so he wasn't going for the O. Henry style surprise.