(Close Window)
Topic: What do you do with mini cards?
It looks like most of the posts here are about jumbo cards. I'm a newbie - what are some of the uses where mini cards are better than regular cards? I have some minis but I really don't know what to do with them.
I think Bob Jardine's 'LITLLE ESP' is one of the finest effects you can perform with a mini deck. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/U3ZByKPYjcM

Taught in full on Bob's excellent DVD (it was a VHS when I watched it) though you may be able to suss out the method from the performance.

Cheers

AM
Thanks, Murrari. I figured out how to do it, but wouldn't it be just as effective if done with a regular deck in the lap?
For kids with small hands, mini-cards allows them to begin palming cards and doing sleights that they just can't handle with regular size (even bridge size) cards. So if you teach card magic to youngsters, consider giving them a mini deck to work with.

Mini decks are also good for comedy when you have a card trick where the spectator is supposed to shuffle the deck and you toss him a mini-deck that has been switched in for the regular deck. He will get all flustered shuffling and cutting the tiny cards and the audience will enjoy the attempts. A good ending is to use Manuel Magie's "Clubbed" to visibly turn the selected mini-card into a huge ultra Jumbo card.
Watching an audience member try to shuffle a tiny deck sounds great! Thanks!

And I do have to say this again: I am astonished at the accumulated knowledge of the members of this forum. Seems that somebody always pops up with a reference to other magicians' tricks that fit in perfectly with the theme of whatever is being discussed.

Love it!
Hello Dan

I have a 188 page hardbound book I've been meaning to mention to you, but just came across it this evening> sorry for the delay...

It is Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980. It was published by Lloyd Jones/Magic Ltd. in Oakland, California. Tons of Magic with the little cards.

For the interest of those who care, she mentions that this project began as a simple reissue of Hen Fetsch's short pamphlet entitled Miniature Card Magic. (That one even came with a few of the necessary cards in an envelope stapled to the inside back cover.)

She contacted Sid Lorraine for some additional material and all of a sudden the book took on a life of its own.

I imagine this is long out of print, but copies will probably pop-up at the usual sources from time to time.

Enjoy your "little" search! :)

Julie
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 11:26, danhughes wrote:
Thanks, Murrari. I figured out how to do it, but wouldn't it be just as effective if done with a regular deck in the lap?
[/quote]

Yup, I guess so but I think the miniature deck adds to the charm (and staging) of the effect
Thanks for the info...I just found a bicycle deck that was a mini and bought without any idea as to what I will use it for. Does take up less pocket space :)
Use mini as a prediction card inside a pay envelope.
As Julie mentioned, "Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980" is a great book. It is still available from her ex-husband, Byron Walker:

http://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com/magic.html
For just $20 that's a deal!

Julie
If I perform to kids... I will just pre-prepare a mini card say 9D and write THIS ONE on the back.... force 9D with regular deck, make mini appear, go through find THIS ONE and its their selection
Om man, I just wathed little ESP and realized what I do is similar to what he does.. it really is so simple yet gets great reactions. reccommended
Shrunken Revelation. Just kidding. I wish. I cant palm properly with my left hand because of an old shoulder nerve injuury. But that effect is the best trick I seen that uses mini cards.
I'll second [url=http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=shrunken+revelation&v_t=webmail-searchbox]Shrunken Revelation[/url] .. nice ...
Sam Schwartz has an effect using a mini card on the bottom of an hour glass. It's a nice idea.

Aldo Colombini has a few nice effects on his web site that use mini cards as well.
I been been thinking of a card shrinking trick for over a decade, at least, now that would make sense to why and how a selected card or cards shrink. The Paul Harris trick where he shrinks a card using a pair of normal size cards is pretty good. What I do for kids is, force a card with mini card in the deck already for them to find after selection. I usually get a great reaction when they find a tiny shrunken card and they see that its their selected card lol.
Here's a nice one by Mike Powers:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/352
Mike Powers Book Power Plays has a great routine where the selected card pops out of the deck as a mini card then changes back to full size called "The amBIGuous Card.
Yes, that's another good one the appeared in his first book Powerful Magic.
George Hills Table Hoppers Clock from Aldo Colombini's Cardboard Curiosities DVD.
Shrink A Card from Curtis Kam's Professional Close-up book.
Just bought a dozen miniature decks ($6 on amazon) and 10 one-inch square plastic cubes ($12 on ebay) and plan to play around with working out using them in a card revelation. Of course I can dig out my old Phil Goldstein lecture notes and do "Ice Dice" with two of them.

One other effect using a mini card that comes to mind is for the final revelation of a selection. The magician with the comical air of a pseudo mentalist confidently states (with raised eyebrow and all)"Your card was a larger value card... no wait... it was a smaller one. What was your card?" The audience member who has fallen off his chair in complete enjoyment of your card magic up to this point, states through tears of laughter "It was the King of Diamonds." With that the magician riffles the deck and up pops a mini card of the King of Diamonds. Everyone goes home satisfied and happy.

John
In effects where a card disappears - 'melts' - in a glass, or bowl, of water I find a mini card can play well.
I developed my personal ( modest ) routine where first time the experiment fails using a standard sized card ( a plastic card cause I actually dunk the card in the water ), then patter about the fact you've missed the effect because you're tired, or the invisible powder you used was too old and spoilt, or any other explanation I choose to give at the moment...then, you try with the minicard and this time all is well, due to the fact the mini was smaller than the previous one and didn't request so much power.
There is a pretty effect by Mathew Dowden in his Party Animal DVD's, where a selected card is "thrown" at a spectator's hands and it changes in mid-air into a miniature card
Mini invisible deck
Tommy wonder has a routine called Magic Ranch, it ends with a miniature of the selected card in a plastic egg that is in the full view of the audience the whole time.
Electric card with mini cards will be a interesting idea.
To expand on Andreas suggestion. Do an effect where the regular deck transforms into the mini deck. Then do one or two tricks using the mini deck, maybe a triumph or out of this world. The mini deck can be gaffed (rough/smooth) or preset to a specific sequence. No one would suspect it's a red herring beyond being the kicker ending of the original trick.
Iím hoping that card-shark with eventually release mini Phoenix decks.
Christian has said many times that he hopes to, and Mark Masons latest release, CSB Cards, uses mini Phoenix cards, so fingers crossed!
[quote]On Aug 2, 2012, murrari wrote:
I think Bob Jardine's 'LITLLE ESP' is one of the finest effects you can perform with a mini deck. You can watch it here: http://youtu.be/U3ZByKPYjcM

Taught in full on Bob's excellent DVD (it was a VHS when I watched it) though you may be able to suss out the method from the performance.

Cheers

AM [/quote]

My search for mini deck card tricks lead me here. I took a look at Jardine's Little ESP and really like it. I have a suspicion of the method but I sure can't see it being done on the video! So that leadme to a search for DVDs or books by Jardine and had no success finding those...

However, I found an online seller HSM (Hot Shot Magic) that sells Little ESP including a mini deck! I'm a little reluctant to order from it as looking at the site it appears it has not been updated since Feb. 2017.

Anybody have any dealings with HSM?
I finally can go the next step to put together a print run for Phoenix Mini Decks. I plan red and blue backs, but what about trick cards?! Suggestions?
[quote]On Apr 12, 2018, Card-Shark wrote:
I finally can go the next step to put together a print run for Phoenix Mini Decks. I plan red and blue backs, but what about trick cards?! Suggestions? [/quote]

@Christian
In any case, a gimmick card for "Shrinking Deck" routine.
It's a poker-size card, with Joker on one side (photo 1) and four mini cards on the other side (photo 2).
On the photo 3 you can see a poker-size deck of cards spread out. The last four mini cards (on the right side) is this gimmick card.
The spread poker-size deck of cards looks like a mini deck of cards (photo 3).

Photo 1:

[img]http://up.picr.de/32386324ca.jpg[/img]

Photo 2:

[img]http://up.picr.de/32386325wi.jpg[/img]

Photo 3:

[img]http://up.picr.de/32386326kz.jpg[/img]

Darko
Can you get printing done on mini cards? I have a cool idea for a trick!
Just noticed in photo 2 that the Joker has 3 mini's on the back and one full size edge (on the left)... could spoil the illusion if there is an eagle eye spectator.

[quote]On Apr 13, 2018, dj wrote:
[quote]On Apr 12, 2018, Card-Shark wrote:
I finally can go the next step to put together a print run for Phoenix Mini Decks. I plan red and blue backs, but what about trick cards?! Suggestions? [/quote]

@Christian
In any case, a gimmick card for "Shrinking Deck" routine.
It's a poker-size card, with Joker on one side (photo 1) and four mini cards on the other side (photo 2).
On the photo 3 you can see a poker-size deck of cards spread out. The last four mini cards (on the right side) is this gimmick card.
The spread poker-size deck of cards looks like a mini deck of cards (photo 3).

Photo 2:

[img]http://up.picr.de/32386325wi.jpg[/img]

Darko [/quote]
Force a card (criss cross cut) , then say I will find it in a very crazy way , you try to cut straight, you try to make spectator find the card, you try fancy cuts, ...everything fails..after three or fourfails fails and good acting, ( show that you feel anxious because of the failures) reveal the mini card that you carry ALWAYS in your wallet,say it is your lucky card, like Scrooge mcDuck has his lucky coin. Do you think this is simple? try it and see the reactions. I don't know why but this simple effect getting the craziest reactions in my repertoire.
This just showed up in my in box.
Miniature Card Magic by Hen Fetsch

https://www.lybrary.com/miniature-card-magic-p-922622.html
A lady selects a card and I bet her a nickel that I can find it.
I pretend to have some trouble thinking of the card.
I try to read her mind. I stare intently at her.
I turn to her husband and say, "I hope you don't me staring at your wife. It's the most fun I can have for a nickel."
Eventually, I pretend to give in and flip the nickel on the table.
If I'm lucky, it turns over and lands with the miniature version of her card showing on it.
If not, I turn it over so she can see it.
She can keep the nickel if she wants.
"It is Miniature Mysteries With Cards compiled by Barbara Walker in 1980. It was published by Lloyd Jones/Magic Ltd. in Oakland, California. Tons of Magic with the little cards.

For the interest of those who care, she mentions that this project began as a simple reissue of Hen Fetsch's short pamphlet entitled Miniature Card Magic. "

This is interesting. I tried to find this as recommended in this thread but could not. but Fetsch's is still available at lybrary.com.

I think miniature cards could work well with a card index. Also, you could do an expanded version of Kollosal Killer due to the extra cards you could use.