(Close Window)
Topic: My latest startup turns 2 today
I launched my latest company August 1st, 2010.

I took a risk when I started this latest venture as I didn't know if I would have any customers or not. Each month it grew more and more and the revenue doubled over the last 12 months. Today I have over 400 clients representing over 300 top brands such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Groupon, Lands' End, L..L. Bean, Amazon, Audible, REI and many many more.

I started with about $5k investment.

Those of you who have entreprreneurial leanings, I urge you to start your own thing. The risk is there but what isn't a risk these day. But the rewards are ever so sweet!!
Well, obviously you didn't build that, someone else made that happen.

But congrats!!
In my case that is true. My clients are a big part of my success. Without them, I'd have nothing.
Lol! True. Having customers does go a long way in the success of a business.
Yeah, I know...it sounds like a funny line. But in my case, more true than most. I run a community site for business professionals. A big part of that is the discussion groups I run, much like the Café. If no one posted or shared information, that would be all she wrote. But in my case, I've created a special (and safe) environment that they feel they can share information with the group.
Good deal. Here's to two more years and beyond!
Did you start a business or an on line community?
"Did you start a business or an on line community?"

Both Santa. An online community is a business.
I was trying to figure out if you sold a product or something. So you have members of your site that are employed by the companies mentioned. I gotcha. Some of the terms you uses are interesting bit I can see why.
Used to have a friend who had an incredibly successful online business, but her husband got it all in the divorce. Ironic, because the business was geared towards women.
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 19:06, Slide wrote:
"Did you start a business or an on line community?"

Both Santa. An online community is a business.
[/quote]

You "found a need, and filled that need".

FANTASTIC!!!!

You have crossed a serious threshold for success. Nice to see people get out there take advantage of their own intelligence guided by experience and make something happen. THAT is inspirational!

Takes guts and brains. You showed both, and hopefully are rewarded accordingly.
"I was trying to figure out if you sold a product or something."

My last company I sold a "product", in fact we are still selling that product. It is the leading product in its category. But when I left THAT company (which I had founded in 2003) I was looking for something that would take up less time and make me a good living. Online communities are great for that. I can run it from anywhere, it has almost no overhead, it is a recurring revenue model (everyone is on auto-renew) and every month I've netted more members than the month before (I've never had a losing month in the last 24).

Danny, I've definitely been rewarded. It is a glorious life.
What is the web site. I know people at amazon and apple, rei too, interested in their opinions.
Santa,

Membership is by invitation only.

It is actually part of the draw. Each member has been personally vetted by me and all members have to be recommended by someone else on the list. We don't allow any sales people on.

Think Fight Club. That is basically my marketing strategy. If you don't know about it, you aren't supposed to know about it. It is one of the reasons people are so open and honest and help their peers.

What I've done is create a safe environment for people to speak freely, and then I invited the right people to participate. That's is why they pay their $20 a month.
[quote]
On 2012-08-01 16:18, Marlin1894 wrote:

But congrats!!
[/quote]

Well, Obviously you are misqoting the President.

Look up the real quote , if you don't know it.

Because this is exactly what he was talking about. I congratulate Slide on his success, but he is using :

The internet (developed by tax dollars)

Probably - opensource software (developed by someone else)

and other infrastructure and resources made by others.

The true context of that qoute is easy . No man is an Island.

If you think you are , you are bat crap nuts.
That is true. I use the internet and open source CMS software called Joomla, although I have paid for a lot of custom development. I haven't read Obama's quote but have heard it parroted back out of context a number of times since he made it. Probably not his best quote if it could be taken so out of context.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 14:26, Slide wrote:
Membership is by invitation only.

It is actually part of the draw. Each member has been personally vetted by me and all members have to be recommended by someone else on the list. We don't allow any sales people on.

Think Fight Club. That is basically my marketing strategy. If you don't know about it, you aren't supposed to know about it. It is one of the reasons people are so open and honest and help their peers.

What I've done is create a safe environment for people to speak freely, and then I invited the right people to participate. That's is why they pay their $20 a month.
[/quote]

If this is a place for industry participants and competitors to discuss... stuff... then it could be interesting from an antitrust perspective. It's unlikely you'll run afoul of antitrust laws just by providing a forum, Slide, but... just, interesting.
I know exactly what you have going and as someone who reads between lines very well I didn't have any problems figuring it out. I also know that amazon and others will fire employees for posting certain things and you know it as wee thus why you said 'safely'.

I was fishing for the response you gave. I so love being right.
Mobility,

I have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously. Anti-trust? :)

Santa, I'm not sure what lines you were reading between. I think I was pretty straight forward. I'm going to read between the lines now and guess that you haven't a clue what I do. :)
Tax dollars developed the internet? I did not know that.
"Tax dollars developed the internet? I did not know that.
"

The technology for the Internet was developed as part of Darpa. The idea was to develop a packet switching network so if one center was wiped out (say Washington DC) by a soviet strike, communications wouldn't be shut down.
The full context is even worse than the brief excerpt.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 17:43, Woland wrote:
The full context is even worse than the brief excerpt.
[/quote]

Really? It's the EXACT SAME THING (almost word for word) that Romney said in one of his old speeches - even down to mentioning about the roads and the infrastructure, etc.

Apparently he has since forgotten that he said that as well.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/plank/105310/small-business-romney-obama
Believe me.... I knew. As I said, don't let big brother like the amazombies in there.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 14:54, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]

But congrats!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps you should look it up. It wasn't the COMPLETE quotation, but it wasn't a misquote. It was verbatim.
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 19:25, LobowolfXXX wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-02 14:54, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]

But congrats!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps you should look it up. It wasn't the COMPLETE quotation, but it wasn't a misquote. It was verbatim (after the "obviously").
[/quote]

I stand corrected on the "verbatim"; the president said "somebody," not "someone."
[quote]
LOBO said:

It wasn't the quotation, but a misquote.
[/quote]

Yup I agree!!

The above wasn't a misquote either!

I just took certain words out of the whole saying!